20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 224 of 297.
#11151 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Should be 2 of each?

No, or you have the wrong connector.

It should match the picture.

#11152 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Ah, i see.
I checked my kit and it's wired correctly.
Must have been a few wrong ones earlier.
Im glad they sorted it out.

It’s actually the more recent ones, the latest Houdini games were manufactured with a different power supply, and there were no current instructions with the kit. I dont think its the end of the world, and both Houdini and Oktoberfest have been Rock solid, well built and reliable. Also Dave at tech support was very friendly and accommodating. I have no issue buying and supporting Americans product as i always have and will continue to do so. I feel this is where manufacturers always fail, this problem occurred, this is a houdini thread and i feel its the appropriate place to discuss it.
So, if anyone bought a Houdini recently, be sure to check with tech support before installation of a knocker in houdini

#11153 3 years ago

I forgot to pull out the door switch! Now only the pops, upper post, upper catapult and trunk lid do not work.

My J5 wire has 2 brown on one slot and 2 black wires on one slot. One of each is from one board and the other two are from the board on the other side.

I think all the fuses are OK. I will check connections. I did use the walnuts. I will sends some pictures.

Thanks.

#11154 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I forgot to pull out the door switch! Now only the pops, upper post, upper catapult and trunk lid do not work.
My J5 wire has 2 brown on one slot and 2 black wires on one slot. One of each is from one board and the other two are from the board on the other side.
I think all the fuses are OK. I will check connections. I did use the walnuts. I will sends some pictures.
Thanks.

My game matches the picture.

Im not sure what the difference is.

A picture might help.

Check the fuses with a meter.
Often they look good but are not.

#11155 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I think all the fuses are OK.

Pull and check with a meter, if connections are solid.

LTG : )

#11156 3 years ago
20200819_192819 (resized).jpg20200819_192819 (resized).jpg20200819_192827 (resized).jpg20200819_192827 (resized).jpg20200819_192841 (resized).jpg20200819_192841 (resized).jpg20200819_193445 (resized).jpg20200819_193445 (resized).jpg
#11157 3 years ago

Last picture shows J6 as single brown and single black. Instructions look like the other board though.

#11158 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Last picture shows J6 as single brown and single black. Instructions look like the other board though.

Edit: posted after too many drinks, wrong information included.

#11159 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Why are you messing with the brown bank of coils? That's not where the flippers are powered from and shouldn't have anything to do with the flipper power add-on board.

I got it to fix the scoop. It is advertised as coil improvement kit. It is not specified as for flippers.

#11160 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I got it to fix the scoop. It is advertised as coil improvement kit. It is not specified as for flippers.

What is your scoop issue?? I've rarely seen the scoop act differently under heavy load and if it does fail to eject the first time it will certainly recover for the second one.

#11161 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

What is your scoop issue?? I've rarely seen the scoop act differently under heavy load and if it does fail to eject the first time it will certainly recover for the second one.

It may take 3 or 4 times to come out. This is the only issue my Houdini has. My trunk catapult has never missed since I put in the new 48v power supply.

#11162 3 years ago

My boards look like this

20200819_165700 (resized).jpg20200819_165700 (resized).jpg
There is only one black and brown wire on this lower connector. Its a bad camera angle.
20200819_165759 (resized).jpg20200819_165759 (resized).jpg20200819_165627 (resized).jpg20200819_165627 (resized).jpg

I think you had it hooked up right.

#11163 3 years ago

My boards look like this
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The 2 paired boards are exactly the same, they just have different purposes.

My lower J5 just has a couple black wires going into one hole.

None of my connectors have the 2 black and 2 brown in J5.

API needs to sort this out.

The black and brown wires all go down to the power supply thru the black hose.

So, i imagine that it makes no difference whether there is one wire or two in the connector.

It should work the same.

#11164 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

It may be that the coils not working has nothing to do with the capacitor board or fuses.

We are only adding a capacitor to the power line.

Possibly bad connections at the wal-nuts since the problem remains with the cap out of the circuit.

#11165 3 years ago

It may be that the coils not working has nothing to do with the capacitor board or fuses.
We are only adding a capacitor to the power line.
Possibly bad connections at the wal-nuts since the problem remains with the cap out of the circuit.

I think you may be right. When I had the capacitor hooked up the scoop was working better.

I am waiting for AP to answer my email. I think the 4 items must be on the same circuit. A hard copy manual would be great to trace the circuit.

Is you machine one of the early ones? Mine is.

#11166 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I think you may be right. When I had the capacitor hooked up the scoop was working better.
I am waiting for AP to answer my email. I think the 4 items must be on the same circuit. A hard copy manual would be great to trace the circuit.
Is you machine one of the early ones? Mine is.

Mine is august, the first year of production, i told them to hold off on mine until the shaker and magic glass was available.

Otherwise, as early as i could.
I was ready to buy immediately, when i played it at TPF!

While waiting i would pull fuses and test them with a meter.

They will probably tell you to do the same.

#11167 3 years ago

Capacitor board update:

I had PinGoddess play a few games so i could observe.

She's a deadly aggressive player...perfect for the task. She does not play lightly or delicately, lol.

Wall power 119v.

Coil system is much improved.

More stable.

Very consistant power under the heaviest of loads.

Oddly flippers are a bit more consistant, no flipper collapse during the test.

Some coils needed adjusting

Lower catapult has way more power, and very consistant power during game play.

I had to lower the lower catapult power by 3 to get the ball back in the trunk.

Interestingly i could get the ball in the trunk across 3 integers during settings

I had way better control.

Before, it had to be dead on or the ball would miss.

Slingshots had to be raised by 2.
Oddly they came out a little low.

Flippers were a little more powerful by one integer but im leaving it for now. I was seeing some high power stage rejects.

I rebooted tbe game several times.

The trunk remained deadly accurate. Even during seance + trunk multiball + elephant mode with shakers running.

All in all the game seems more lively.

Seems to have more power when power is needed.

The game play is better, more consistant.

The scoop never failed.

It ejected the ball quickly and efficiently each time without trying 3 or 4 times. Even during heavy load periods.

Again this was during a test of 5 single player games in a row

On an unrelated note;

Something possibly beta code related:

Empty balls utility resets the game.
It took 3 reboots to empty the balls.
The reset happens around the second or 3rd ball eject.

This has been mentioned by others in the recent past. So, i don't think the capacitor has anything to do with this particular reset.

Part 2 of this review next.

#11168 3 years ago

Part 2:

After adjusting coils to get everything set the way i like it, i decided to play a few games myself.

Remember, my game is highly tweaked and adjusted, it plays really well.

I will know immediately if something is off.

First game was a throw away.

Everything played as it should, trunk catapult was deadly accurate. Scoop never missed a beat.

I played terribly but got trunk and seance to run at the same time.

No flipper collapse. No trunk misses, no scoop problems.

I only got the knocker up and running today so, i hadn't heard it in action.

Game 2.

I played much better!

Went through a few modes early on.

Got seance, trunk multiball plus bullet catch running at the same time.

Wow, I LOVE THE KNOCKER!!!!
It goes off exactly when you want it to, and is amazing in bullet catch!

Extra ball knocker, replay knocker, I love it! If you dont have it. You're missing out lol.

No resets, trunk deadly accurate. Scoop running perfectly.

Everything seems a bit more energetic.

Around act 7. I lost the music but the game played ok.

I started a movie mode and the music came back over time.

I started seance plus trunk multiball. Trunk was perfect. Game had good energy and speed.

After all balls drained. One was left in the scoop.

Seance didnt end and the ball stayed in the scoop until a ball search kicked it out.

Seance stayed on s bit longer and then ended after i made a few more shots.

This was a 40 min game.!

I didn't finish all the stage acts this game but had 4 extra balls with the knocker ! Amazing!

All in all the game performed better than ever.

No flipper collapse today at all.

I think the capacitor really makes the game better and way more stable.

Losing audio and losing track of a ball happens once in awhile.

I have to say that this is code related. My switches are perfect

Other than a couple small code snags. I can say that my game has never played better.

Im very happy with the capacitor and knocker.

#11169 3 years ago

My head hurts after reading all that tech stuff. Am I going to regret buying one of these.
After selling TWD this was on my want list.....hope it’s not a mistake. Love the theme and followed the making of this. Was very impressed with AP and specifically rosh for all the feedback. Fingers crossed, I guess I find out in 2 weeks when game arrives. Less than 100 lifetime plays out of a large collection so not much use and mods galore. The wait begins!!

#11170 3 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

My head hurts after reading all that tech stuff. Am I going to regret buying one of these.
After selling TWD this was on my want list.....hope it’s not a mistake. Love the theme and followed the making of this. Was very impressed with AP and specifically rosh for all the feedback. Fingers crossed, I guess I find out in 2 weeks when game arrives. Less than 100 lifetime plays out of a large collection so not much use and mods galore. The wait begins!!

What tech stuff are you concerned about?

#11171 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

It may take 3 or 4 times to come out. This is the only issue my Houdini has. My trunk catapult has never missed since I put in the new 48v power supply.

In my experience this is caused by the coil power being set too high or too low or you need to bend the upper part out a bit, what is yours set at?

#11172 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Thanks.

This sounds like your "Red" bank of coils is out. Look at the two PD-16 boards and find the one with all the Red wires attached to it, with the game on, in service mode and the coin door closed or the interlock switch pulled out is there a red LED lit next to the brown / black power input, near the fuse? I suspect it's not and the first thing you should check is that fuse.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#11173 3 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

I've had my Houdini since February. Set it up and played. No problemo.
As time goes by, I actually enjoy the game even more.
If I were you, I wouldn't sweat it.

#11174 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I am waiting for AP to answer my email.

I got your ticket. I'll call you later today to walk through the installation.

#11175 3 years ago

American Pinball... The BEST customer service!!

#11176 3 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Am I going to regret buying one of these

No. Help is available should you need it.

#11177 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This sounds like your "Red" bank of coils is out. Look at the two PD-16 boards and find the one with all the Red wires attached to it, with the game on, in service mode and the coin door closed or the interlock switch pulled out is there a red LED lit next to the brown / black power input, near the fuse? I suspect it's not and the first thing you should check is that fuse.[quoted image]

You were close. All fuses are OK. It was the brown/black wire connector that is very loose on that board. Light was off. Got it working now.

Thanks to bobukcat and everyone else for the guidance.

Will talk with AP later today to make sure I have the capacitor plugged in correctly.

#11178 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

You were close. All fuses are OK. It was the brown/black wire connector that is very loose on that board. Light was off. Got it working now.
Thanks to bobukcat and everyone else for the guidance.
Will talk with AP later today to make sure I have the capacitor plugged in correctly.

Great troubleshooting and repair!

I just noticed yesterday (during my tests) my (I) in film light, left magic standup light and 3 chain links were not lit.
One of the short little ribbon cables on the film board fell off. took me 30 mins to find it, 30 seconds to fix it.

Those ribbons are mounted against gravity, as they age I might hot glue them on a bit.

This game just keeps getting better and better!

Hoping for a substantial code update soon!

#11179 3 years ago

Just got a call from AP. Outstanding service. All is good again. Capacitor was hooked up correctly. All coils working. Now I have to dial them in. Scoop puts ball out on first try! Thanks again to everyone for the help.

#11180 3 years ago

Part 2:
After adjusting coils to get everything set the way i like it, i decided to play a few games myself.
Remember, my game is highly tweaked and adjusted, it plays really well.
I will know immediately if something is off.
First game was a throw away.
Everything played as it should, trunk catapult was deadly accurate. Scoop never missed a beat.
I played terribly but got trunk and seance to run at the same time.
No flipper collapse. No trunk misses, no scoop problems.
I only got the knocker up and running today so, i hadn't heard it in action.
Game 2.
I played much better!
Went through a few modes early on.
Got seance, trunk multiball plus bullet catch running at the same time.
Wow, I LOVE THE KNOCKER!!!!
It goes off exactly when you want it to, and is amazing in bullet catch!
Extra ball knocker, replay knocker, I love it! If you dont have it. You're missing out lol.
No resets, trunk deadly accurate. Scoop running perfectly.
Everything seems a bit more energetic.
Around act 7. I lost the music but the game played ok.
I started a movie mode and the music came back over time.
I started seance plus trunk multiball. Trunk was perfect. Game had good energy and speed.
After all balls drained. One was left in the scoop.
Seance didnt end and the ball stayed in the scoop until a ball search kicked it out.
Seance stayed on s bit longer and then ended after i made a few more shots.
This was a 40 min game.!
I didn't finish all the stage acts this game but had 4 extra balls with the knocker ! Amazing!
All in all the game performed better than ever.
No flipper collapse today at all.
I think the capacitor really makes the game better and way more stable.
Losing audio and losing track of a ball happens once in awhile.
I have to say that this is code related. My switches are perfect
Other than a couple small code snags. I can say that my game has never played better.
Im very happy with the capacitor and knocker.

Sounds promising. Thanks for the update. I have one of these capacitors on the way. My right flipper collapse is most common during inverted straightjacket stacked with some other multiball. My trunk shot is missed (shorted) more than not during multiball. I have had knocker for quite a while set mid level.

#11181 3 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

for 3.1 --> Add a cheap passiv subwoofer, adjust the sound from the lepai amp and will blown away
for 3.2 --> Fix is on the way - and we all get finger crossed that it will be the solution.

I just bought a passive sub and was wondering can you just remove the amp to get at the terminals on the amp or do I need to remove the lcd to get at them.

#11182 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Just got a call from AP. Outstanding service. All is good again. Capacitor was hooked up correctly. All coils working. Now I have to dial them in. Scoop puts ball out on first try! Thanks again to everyone for the help.

I really can’t take the credit. It’s the amazing community we have right here!
Thanks for having my back guys.

I’m glad the cap kit is working for people.

pinballinreno I’ll be making edits to the instructions in the next few days.

#11183 3 years ago

So how do I go about ordering a cap kit? Can’t seem to find a link.

#11184 3 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Please contact them - https://www.american-pinball.com/about/contact/

#11185 3 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Try this:

https://store.american-pinball.com/products/kit0006-00

#11186 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I really can’t take the credit. It’s the amazing community we have right here!
Thanks for having my back guys.
I’m glad the cap kit is working for people.
pinballinreno I’ll be making edits to the instructions in the next few days.

Awesome!

I hope my little review was helpful

Now can you lock Josh in a room stocked with tequila, chicken wings and nachos for a weekend?

Updates needed.! Lol

#11187 3 years ago

Awesome. I went through ten pages of store. I didn't scroll to the little "search" at the bottom of the store page.

#11188 3 years ago

So would the capacitor be helpful if I have little to no flipper fade? Does it make the whole game just play better?

#11189 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Awesome. I went through ten pages of store. I didn't scroll to the little "search" at the bottom of the store page.

Lol, I just knew it was there, because I looked for it the other day!

Youre still the best Lloyd! Pinballgoddess says Hi!
Maybe see you at TPF 2021 if it happens.

#11190 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

So would the capacitor be helpful if I have little to no flipper fade? Does it make the whole game just play better?

In my opinion you need it.
As well as the EOS switch kit.

But thats just my experience, take it for what its worth lol.

Get the Knocker if you dont have it!

#11191 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

I just bought a passive sub and was wondering can you just remove the amp to get at the terminals on the amp or do I need to remove the lcd to get at them.

I think you need to disamble the LCD. But it's easy going.
Hope the picture helps a bit

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#11192 3 years ago

In my opinion you need it.
As well as the EOS switch kit.
But thats just my experience, take it for what its worth lol.
Get the Knocker if you dont have it!

EOS kit for folks with upgraded power supply? Or anyone?

#11193 3 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

I think you need to disamble the LCD. But it's easy going.
Hope the picture helps a bit
[quoted image]

Thanks, The LCD is it then, lol

#11194 3 years ago
Quoted from Quint_of_Dust:

I've had my Houdini since February. Set it up and played. No problemo.
As time goes by, I actually enjoy the game even more.
If I were you, I wouldn't sweat it.

Thanks appreciate the feedback.

#11195 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No. Help is available should you need it.

Thanks Lloyd. Josh has assured me it will be ok. Just get a bit freaked out with all the talk of flipper issues, power supply issues and I’m in Australia with completely different voltage wondering if it will be better or worse. I’ve been wanting to buy one since they came out.

#11196 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

EOS doesn’t need the upgraded power supply. But if you don’t have it, you should get it for sure.

#11197 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Yes and yes.

#11198 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

YES!

#11199 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I have the 48v upgrade power supply. I have never had flipper issues before or after. I do not have the EOS kit.

The capacitor kit I just installed has made a dramatic change for the better.

#11200 3 years ago

After AP guidance I have the capacitor kit working. I have played a few games and the difference is dramatic!

The scoop puts the ball out the first time. The upper catapult is smooth and puts the ball right in the center of the ramp. The lower catapult sends the ball directly in the trunk. The game is now totally smooth.

On a side note I adjusted the pops leaf switches to barely not touching. Now there is lots of ball action between the three pops.

Thanks to brenna98!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 224 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/224?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.