20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 220 of 297.
#10951 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

Picked up my Houdini today, setup went good will dial in slope and level tomorrow. Love the game, just ordered shaker,knocker and pin blades. I did notice the trunk stays open all the time, anyone have this issue?

A friend had this and it was just the up post catching on the sides.

Please post your fix, when done.

#10952 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

When setting the pitch where do you put the device, I am getting .1 difference at the middle of play-field and flippers.

Small differences can simply be the alignment of the device. If it is off parallel to the sides of the game even a little bit you will see what you are seeing.

#10953 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

When setting the pitch where do you put the device, I am getting .1 difference at the middle of play-field and flippers.

Yeah, i measure 3 places and try for an average between the 3

#10954 3 years ago

5 new sterns and now my first American pinball Houdini. This is the first NIB I didn’t have issues with. Feels really good and I’m a big fan of difficult shot games. Sooooo good looking too. I might like it more than my Elvira. I’m impressed. I’m glad I chose it. Although I’m having ALOT of difficulties updating code.

#10955 3 years ago

If it's an older NIB that has been sitting for a long time and not a more recent build you may need to rename the file. If it's that old of build.

Otherwise you need a good stick and put only the update files for the game on it etc.

I am sure one of AP guys will chime in. They are very helpful.

Enjoy your game.

#10956 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I used pieces of copy paper to make templates...

Ooohhh. You don't still have those handy do ya? Measurements would be great!

#10957 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Yes please.

#10958 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

5 new sterns and now my first American pinball Houdini. This is the first NIB I didn’t have issues with. Feels really good and I’m a big fan of difficult shot games. Sooooo good looking too. I might like it more than my Elvira. I’m impressed. I’m glad I chose it. Although I’m having ALOT of difficulties updating code.

Try removing the version info from the code update package so it just houdini-gamecode.pkg

also, make sure the USB stick does not have a space in its name.

if that does not work, tell me more about what it is doing

#10959 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

Put it right in between the flippers

#10960 3 years ago

What build dates are considered older?

#10961 3 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

What build dates are considered older?

Games typically are installed with the current software at the time the machine is built, but it could then sit in the back of the warehouse as other games built after get shipped before it, just based on the fact our old facility was so small. So, this is not really about the code installed, not when the game was built.

The issue is that we changed the way we name code packages, to avoid issues owners were having where they would download the new code, but their computer would change the name since they already had a file with that name, and then they would keep installing old code, not realizing it was the wrong file. So we added the version info to the name, but that required an update to the update code, so if you are on a version of the code that does not support that version info being part of the file name . . . .

In addition, we did recently learn that USB sticks with a space in the name can cause issues with the updates.

Occasionally a USB will have an issue with the update, I keep waiting to get my hands on one that as an issue, so I can figure out why. Typically when someone runs into this, they use another USB and all is well. Not sure if the space is the issue on these USB sticks that don't work or something else.

#10962 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

Don't sweat the small stuff, set it up so it plays best.

#10963 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

No, I made them small enough to almost fit, then inserted into the space aligning one vertical and one horizontal edge. Then creased the other two edges with my fingers.

So, it was all an approximation. Those pieces of paper were reused several times, then trashed.

If I did it again, I’d remove the trunk from the game.

One tip: when affixing a panel, remove a 1/2 inch of the backing (bend it back so you can grasp the paper) and lineup that sticky edge first. The. Reach behind the material and remove the rest of the backing as you smooth it out.

I did the left side with two pieces (rather than one), in order to get around the trunk lid rod. Also, colored screws with a purple paint pen. Looks great from the player’s perspective.

#10964 3 years ago

#10965 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Put it right in between the flippers

tenor (resized).pngtenor (resized).png
#10966 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Try removing the version info from the code update package so it just houdini-gamecode.pkg
also, make sure the USB stick does not have a space in its name.
if that does not work, tell me more about what it is doing

Did that all tried different thumb drives well screen goes black when it recognizes that you’ve put a stick in and then it just continues to boot up 18.5 code I formatted the thumb drive I’ve use three different ones I remove the version number as you suggested I did that last night too before I got sent the new code. If you want to call me that be great 267–9 71–2843. I am plugged it directly into the computer thinking it might be the usb cable

#10967 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

Did that all tried different thumb drives well screen goes black when it recognizes that you’ve put a stick in and then it just continues to boot up 18.5 code I formatted the thumb drive I’ve use three different ones I remove the version number as you suggested I did that last night too before I got sent the new code. If you want to call me that be great 267–9 71–2843. I am plugged it directly into the computer thinking it might be the usb cable

Are you booting the game with the usb drive installed and with the correct file name for the code? You have to rename the file on the early builds.

Or are you installing the usb stick live and powered up?

#10968 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

Does it ever say 'updating code' on screen?

Does it copy anything to the USB stick?

#10969 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

Try putting the USB directly into the computer, instead of the USB cable. Computer is in the head, you should be able to get to the USB jacks, might have to remove an existing USB cable, one is the USB extension cable, the other is the connection to the control system, but for this test it won't matter, game will still update code even it it can't talk to the control system.

#10970 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Are you booting the game with the usb drive installed and with the correct file name for the code? You have to rename the file on the early builds.
Or are you installing the usb stick live and powered up?

Live

#10971 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Does it ever say 'updating code' on screen?
Does it copy anything to the USB stick?

Never says. Goes black. Then boots old code. Can you put it in a USB cable while the game is on or do you have to put it in before you turn the game on?

#10972 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

Never says. Goes black. Then boots old code. Can you put it in a USB cable while the game is on or do you have to put it in before you turn the game on?

Nothing I’ve tried to remove the numbers from the name I’ve tried using the version numbers I’ve use different sticks I’ve tried to do with the game off I tried to do with the game on does not recognize anything. I have a Lotta games I’ve just never had this problem doing an update. But quite frankly new out-of-the-box this is had the least amount of issues out of all the games I’ve ever had so I’m pleased it’s just frustrating that I can’t get the code update

#10973 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

Nothing I’ve tried to remove the numbers from the name I’ve tried using the version numbers I’ve use different sticks I’ve tried to do with the game off I tried to do with the game on does not recognize anything. I have a Lotta games I’ve just never had this problem doing an update. But quite frankly new out-of-the-box this is had the least amount of issues out of all the games I’ve ever had so I’m pleased it’s just frustrating that I can’t get the code update

It’s your thumb drive. It’s your thumb drive. It’s your thumb drive.

Drive has to be inserted BEFORE you turn the game on. It will boot in a few seconds and start the update

Make sure it’s a USB 2.0 drive, a PNY or Samsung brand.

#10974 3 years ago

I looked at the file I downloaded on my pc and saved last fall, then loaded on USB stick. I use a PNY stick...

Your issue might be how you saved the file, how you named it, or your stick or a combo of these.

This is how the file is named in my pc:

houdini-gamecode_19.4.7pkg

#10975 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

I usually stick it in after I power on the machine, but it works either way.

If it is seeing the USB, it should put up a screen of some kind, either code updating or that logs were copied and then require you to reboot. If it is not, then the game is not seeing the USB stick.

Try what I said in my last post of doing it directly on the computer.

I can understand your frustration, but we will figure it out.

#10976 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

I’ve use different sticks

and as others have said, 90% of the time it is an issue with the stick, but you said you tried a few, but, double check it is formatted fat32 and no space in the name.

#10977 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I usually stick it in after I power on the machine, but it works either way.
If it is seeing the USB, it should put up a screen of some kind, either code updating or that logs were copied and then require you to reboot. If it is not, then the game is not seeing the USB stick.
Try what I said in my last post of doing it directly on the computer.
I can understand your frustration, but we will figure it out.

No I would never knock the game it’s one of the best games I’ve played in a long time I love difficult games. I’m very very very happy. And I would definitely buy another American Pinball company game. I’ve had my eye on it for a couple years but never pulled the trigger. I did plug it directly into the computer by passing the USB cable and it still didn’t work. Do you think I should buy a specific thumb drive. When I put it in the game when it’s powered up the screen goes blank Then there’s some words like HDMI on the screen it stays black for a while and then eventually starts booting up the code that’s already installed that’s all it does even if I plug the thumb drive directly into the computer bypassing the cable. I’ve honestly tried everything you said tell me a thumb drive that you think would work and I’ll go buy it

#10978 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

No I would never knock the game it’s one of the best games I’ve played in a long time I love difficult games. I’m very very very happy. And I would definitely buy another American Pinball company game. I’ve had my eye on it for a couple years but never pulled the trigger. I did plug it directly into the computer by passing the USB cable and it still didn’t work. Do you think I should buy a specific thumb drive. When I put it in the game when it’s powered up the screen goes blank Then there’s some words like HDMI on the screen it stays black for a while and then eventually starts booting up the code that’s already installed that’s all it does even if I plug the thumb drive directly into the computer bypassing the cable. I’ve honestly tried everything you said tell me a thumb drive that you think would work and I’ll go buy it

It never gives me the option to update you can tell it’s recognizing that you put the stick in because when it’s in a traction mode and I stick it in cable or the computer it goes black but never updates

#10979 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

It never gives me the option to update you can tell it’s recognizing that you put the stick in because when it’s in a traction mode and I stick it in cable or the computer it goes black but never updates

Could be weak cable.
Pull off the backglass.
Stick the usb drive directly into the computer in tbe head.

Maybe pull the usb cable out first, you will see it plugged in.

If this doesnt work, your filename is incorrect on the USB stick.

The computer will ignore everything except the correct filename.

Try a smaller 8gb usb stick or even and older 4gb usb 2.0 stick

#10980 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Could be weak cable.
Pull off the backglass.
Stick the usb drive directly into the computer in tbe head.
Maybe pull the usb cable out first, you will see it plugged in.
If this doesnt work, your filename is incorrect on the USB stick.
The computer will ignore everything except the correct filename.
Try a smaller 8gb usb stick or even and older 4gb usb 2.0 stick

Did the direct into computer thing. My best friend Ted was there with me, he s on pinside too, he does I. T. At university of Penn. I done a the file name changes, file name with version and without, tumb drive in usb cable tumb drive directly into computer. Dave brennon sent me the last beta code today. Still nothing. Tried all of the above with 3 different tumbdrives. Will go to Best Buy and by the ones recommended. After that, I don’t know. Shouldn’t be this difficult. At least my 18.5 version seems to work fine. Played it a lot tonight. Great game. I’m not a quitter I want to fix / solve the issue.

#10981 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

rosh shouldn't he get the message about log files, even if it doesn’t recognise the update file?

#10982 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

Did the direct into computer thing. My best friend Ted was there with me, he s on pinside too, he does I. T. At university of Penn. I done a the file name changes, file name with version and without, tumb drive in usb cable tumb drive directly into computer. Dave brennon sent me the last beta code today. Still nothing. Tried all of the above with 3 different tumbdrives. Will go to Best Buy and by the ones recommended. After that, I don’t know. Shouldn’t be this difficult. At least my 18.5 version seems to work fine. Played it a lot tonight. Great game. I’m not a quitter I want to fix / solve the issue.

Sent you a couple of PMs, please take a look and follow the instructions.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

rosh shouldn't he get the message about log files, even if it doesn’t recognise the update file?

Yes it should. I think this could be something I've seen twice before, on Hot wheels, not sure how it is the same issue, but, could be something similar. So, as you see above, I've messaged Sebastian88 with some instructions on something I want him to try that might shed some light.

#10983 3 years ago
Quoted from rogerdodger:

A friend had this and it was just the up post catching on the sides.
Please post your fix, when done.

The back piece is loose(where the trunk is mounted to)after I moved it forward the up post does not hang up. Contacted support for a fix. could not locate any screws to tighten to the playfield. Wondering if it was glued on there.

#10984 3 years ago

Stern and JJP are the same when doing updates. Find your oldest smallest sized USB and use it. That's what I've found. If you don't have a USB1 4GB stick buy one on eBay..

#10985 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

The back piece is loose(where the trunk is mounted to)after I moved it forward the up post does not hang up. Contacted support for a fix. could not locate any screws to tighten to the playfield. Wondering if it was glued on there.

If its the back piece led light shield, it attaches by friction.

It sets on the screws and just the sides of the screw heads hold it on.

The screws dont go thru the shield.

Mine had fallen off in shipping.
I had rosh explain it to me lol.

It might seem weak, but its stayed on since i got it sorted initially and is tight.

I also though it might be glued or taped on, but its not.

#10986 3 years ago

I have some extra purple velvet,I ordered some and it comes with 2 sheets good for 6 games,I will send out a sheet to someone if they want to try,I removed my box,very simple 4 wood screws 2 bolts and remove the coil that lifts the lid,no biggie.first pm in USA.remove from rear and the bolts should be glued or secured some way when you reinstall,will make it way easy,you will see.

#10987 3 years ago

O and move the lid switch

I believe it was worth the effort

#10988 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

Picked up my Houdini today, setup went good will dial in slope and level tomorrow. Love the game, just ordered shaker,knocker and pin blades. I did notice the trunk stays open all the time, anyone have this issue?

I've had my trunk stick open twice. The screw on the right side of trunk lid backed out catching on the back panel when the lid went up.

#10989 3 years ago

sent purple velvet to indypin

#10990 3 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

sent purple velvet to indypin

Thank you VERY much

#10991 3 years ago

You guys weren’t kidding...what a solid build on this thing

Good job AP on creating this modern classic with the power switch in the right place

Lookin forward to AP4

C44F1385-CF21-4C38-8AAB-0878245EE994 (resized).jpegC44F1385-CF21-4C38-8AAB-0878245EE994 (resized).jpeg
#10992 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I’m testing a upgrade to give the coils more consistent power during heavy power usage.
So far the results are very good! I’ll be working on a kit and instructions for this simple upgrade very soon.

Are there any updates or more information for this case you can share with us

#10993 3 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Are there any updates or more information for this case you can share with us

Dave is off line for a few days. I believe he is preparing for what will hopefully be the final testing phase.

#10994 3 years ago

Good job AP on creating this modern classic with the power switch in the right place
Lookin forward to AP4
[quoted image]

We kept tellin’ ya!

#10995 3 years ago

Josh at American pinball called me and spent approximately 1hr and 10 mins on the phone with me.... trying to trouble shoot my code update problem. It’s the computer. No biggie. So, the game plays great with 18.5 code(or what ever it is) zero issues. They are sending me a new computer. The point is.... AMERICAN PINBALL CO is AWESOME. The game is soooo good looking, difficult( which makes it more fun to play) , and those at the company reallllly care. Look , I love all pinball games for one reason or another but I’m now one of their biggest fans and supporters. My next New in box WILL be another AP pin. It’s just flat out a better built pin and they respond a hell of a lot faster than STERN. Received Sterns first ELVIRA off the line post covid, it’s a good game but Houdini is better. 5 new sterns and 1 AP pin..... time to change that ... THE GAME IS AWESOME AND THEY ARE AWESOME. End of story

#10996 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

Josh at American pinball called me and spent approximately 1hr and 10 mins on the phone with me....

Josh is great. One of the unsung heroes of the tech support world.

LTG : )

#10997 3 years ago

I can’t for the life of me understand why that game isn’t appreciated more. I think if more people bought American Pinball they might realize how much better quality these games are. You can feel it in the game I’m not easily impressed I’ve had my fair share of pinball machines and this one is one of the first in a long time that I really really really was blown away by. And the fact that He Would spend that amount of time on the phone with me be talking pinball and trying to solve the issue was just awesome. He didn’t have to do it and I really really enjoyed the time

#10998 3 years ago

Lookin forward to AP4
[quoted image]

It’s awesome, Isn’t it? I love the fact that it’s not easy. Good looking game too

#10999 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

AMERICAN PINBALL CO is AWESOME. The

Yep!

rosh is amazing!
(And handsome too...)

#11000 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

I can’t for the life of me understand why that game isn’t appreciated more

Mine is never leaving!
(Yes its cocktail hour...Kirkland scotch, im a cheap date...)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 220 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/220?hl=sebastian88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.