20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 219 of 297.
#10901 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

Thank You guys for all the info. I liked this game when I first saw it and it has a lot of support from this thread. Just worried about the carpeted floor in the new pinball room. I will probably have to cut up some wood to put under the legs but will try it without first.

You can just use the small black furnature sliders from home depot

#10902 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Ball moves too fast.
Lots of stage rejects.
I have my game at 6.2
Flippers drooped 1/8"
Left flipper power up one notch from the right
Something like 24R, 25L or there abouts.
Probably lower if you have strong wall power.

wonder if the same is true of oktoberfest

#10903 3 years ago

Ball moves too fast.
Lots of stage rejects.
I have my game at 6.2
Flippers drooped 1/8"

What's the most stable code?

#10904 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

The current beta is pretty good.

#10905 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Really? This game can’t be jacked up to 7deg pitch?

Sure, give it a try. But you won't be able to hit a single shot. It's not a 'flow' game

#10906 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

wonder if the same is true of oktoberfest

Less so, but the upper right flipper shot is apparently pretty tough if the pitch is too high

#10907 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

19.4.7 is most stable...

#10908 3 years ago

The current beta is pretty good.

I've only had my game up and running for a few weeks and have been busy selling some machines, so haven't devoted a ton of time to dialing it in. I need to get the pitch down, because I think I'm close to 7-deg.

I just looked at the code it's running: 18.8.1

wow.

It runs extremely stable. I haven't noticed any issues. That said, I wonder how much has changed in the game between 18.8.1 and the beta code????

#10909 3 years ago

You can just use the small black furnature sliders from home depot

@ chopper36 : If the game moves around too much with furniture sliders, you can make some small carpet squares to go under the legs on top your finish carpet if worried about the finish carpet getting indentations in it over time.

#10910 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I've only had my game up and running for a few weeks and have been busy selling some machines, so haven't devoted a ton of time to dialing it in. I need to get the pitch down, because I think I'm close to 7-deg.
wow.
It runs extremely stable. I haven't noticed any issues. That said, I wonder how much has changed in the game between 18.8.1 and the beta code????

19.4.7 is the code between what you have now and beta. 19.4.7 is quite stable and fixes bugs etc from 18.8.1

You can get the code off AP website

#10911 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

If the game moves around too much with furniture sliders, you can make some small carpet squares to go under the legs on top your finish carpet if worried about the finish carpet getting indentations in it over time.

Thanks for the tip will try without first just will go buy the sliders.

#10912 3 years ago

Is there a change log for the beta code?

#10913 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

Thanks for the tip will try without first just will go buy the sliders.

You can buy the furniture slider discs that are about 4 1/2" wide. I used those on carpet before we refinished our game room. Unfortunately, the weight of the game is hard to overcome. You're going to get indentations, the slider helps to spread out the weight.

#10914 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

@ chopper36 : If the game moves around too much with furniture sliders, you can make some small carpet squares to go under the legs on top your finish carpet if worried about the finish carpet getting indentations in it over time.

I have also used the free sample woods from the hardwood flooring display area.

I also use these for c clamp protectors etc.

The maple/composite ones are really durable.

#10915 3 years ago

Another option if worried about your finish floor are other leg levelers like big foots or levelers with nylon bases. Lot's of options if worried about the stock foot damaging a finished floor. There are also wood footies, etc, etc, or dream up your own solution. Here are a couple shown on Marco web pages. There are many others out there.

big foot (resized).jpgbig foot (resized).jpgwood footie (resized).jpgwood footie (resized).jpg
#10916 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Is there a change log for the beta code?

On the website : american-pinball.com - support - code updates.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CFNoRcpjqiuRTJsIsCHaPGXy4gbVf8Eg/view

LTG : )

#10917 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Another option if worried about your finish floor are other leg levelers like big foots or levelers with nylon bases. Lot's of options if worried about the stock foot damaging a finished floor. There are also wood footies, etc, etc, or dream up your own solution. Here are a couple shown on Marco web pages. There are many others out there.[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow those are pretty cool have to check them out,!

#10918 3 years ago

Ball moves too fast.
Lots of stage rejects.
I have my game at 6.2
Flippers drooped 1/8"

Pretty much how mine is. I keep on wanting to try the flipper droop. Maybe this weekend. I had my game at 6.7 and recently lowered it to 6.1 and man it made more of a difference than I thought it would. Stage rejects way down and making way more complete ramp shots.

#10919 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Home Depot has free carpet samples. Maybe 4x4"ish

#10920 3 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Here is how i would connect it:
Only Grey and purple from the wire. But is the blue cable (Ground) really not needed?
[quoted image]

You should be fine without the ground wire.

#10921 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

Just worried about the carpeted floor in the new pinball room.

I've got thick carpet in my game room and find no issues, but I'm not someone who moves the machine a lot when playing.

Quoted from 27dnast:

Yes, that is quite old. Personally, I recommend the current beta code . . .

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yYNutTlgBKa5EgKbSkk8IxSNift2tIPp/view?usp=sharing

The last 'official' release can be found in the support section of our website.

I will say I have played a few very long games on Houdini in the last week as I've been looking to identify issues and correcting a few issues reported. Based on my experience I am not seeing 'mystery multiballs' that some have reported, so anyone who is on the beta, and is getting more than one ball kicked when they should not be in game play, should check their 'coil setting' on the release coils and try reducing it by one (release coils settings adjust 'duration' not 'power'). If you find balls are not releasing you can go back to what you had, if you are still getting two then adjust it again. Certainly possible there could be some path through the code that gets an extra ball, and I will continue to investigate.

As far as pitch, a higher pitch on the game can create a few issues, one it could result in an extra ball being released from the locks on occasion, so the adjustment above could be needed. It can cause a higher rate of stage rejects, it also typically requires you to increase flipper coil strength, which can increase the risk of air balls and broken plastics and puts more strain on the power system. It can also make the stage-alley shot hard to complete to the stage as the pitch will impact the trajectory of the ball. Increasing it a a little bit is fine, jacking up the back legs a lot is going to cause issues. Again, leg levelers all the way in, then level side to side (check both at lower and upper parts of the playfield). Then if you want a little more pitch, raise back legs a few turns.

If you are on the last official release, then you need to be sure the spotlights, backglass and back panel are all set to 10 in settings, otherwise you will have issues with extra balls being released. The beta code has quite a few changes to handle this less than desirable behavior of the system. The beta code also changes some activity around the magnets during multiballs to better balance power.

#10922 3 years ago

Just booked my room for TPF 2021

I will really enjoy it if API was there with hot wheels!

#10923 3 years ago

I'm just hoping that TPF 2021 will happen.

#10924 3 years ago

New replacement coils are soldered

so are there any Updates for the new AP Houdini coil Power fix?
IMG_20200802_132219 (resized).jpgIMG_20200802_132219 (resized).jpg

#10925 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I've got thick carpet in my game room and find no issues, but I'm not someone who moves the machine a lot when playing.

Yes, that is quite old. Personally, I recommend the current beta code . . .
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yYNutTlgBKa5EgKbSkk8IxSNift2tIPp/view?usp=sharing
The last 'official' release can be found in the support section of our website.
I will say I have played a few very long games on Houdini in the last week as I've been looking to identify issues and correcting a few issues reported. Based on my experience I am not seeing 'mystery multiballs' that some have reported, so anyone who is on the beta, and is getting more than one ball kicked when they should not be in game play, should check their 'coil setting' on the release coils and try reducing it by one (release coils settings adjust 'duration' not 'power'). If you find balls are not releasing you can go back to what you had, if you are still getting two then adjust it again. Certainly possible there could be some path through the code that gets an extra ball, and I will continue to investigate.
As far as pitch, a higher pitch on the game can create a few issues, one it could result in an extra ball being released from the locks on occasion, so the adjustment above could be needed. It can cause a higher rate of stage rejects, it also typically requires you to increase flipper coil strength, which can increase the risk of air balls and broken plastics and puts more strain on the power system. It can also make the stage-alley shot hard to complete to the stage as the pitch will impact the trajectory of the ball. Increasing it a a little bit is fine, jacking up the back legs a lot is going to cause issues. Again, leg levelers all the way in, then level side to side (check both at lower and upper parts of the playfield). Then if you want a little more pitch, raise back legs a few turns.
If you are on the last official release, then you need to be sure the spotlights, backglass and back panel are all set to 10 in settings, otherwise you will have issues with extra balls being released. The beta code has quite a few changes to handle this less than desirable behavior of the system. The beta code also changes some activity around the magnets during multiballs to better balance power.

This is surprising to me as I had lots of ball tracking issues with the Beta code and not just phantom multiballs but also it locking balls during multiballs, essentially treating those like drains and very often taking a long time to register drains, sometimes negating ball saves. I also had the issue I posted about where the right lock release would just not hold down until I re-loaded the code. The last released build had been much, much more reliable in my experience.

#10926 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Based on my experience I am not seeing 'mystery multiballs' that some have reported, so anyone who is on the beta, and is getting more than one ball kicked when they should not be in game play, should check their 'coil setting' on the release coils and try reducing it by one (release coils settings adjust 'duration' not 'power').

I’ll try Josh’s suggestion, but I am on the beta and get the occasional multiball, but not two balls escaping the inner loop or something like that. I think it was during my last game that I ended up with a three ball multiball, but each additional ball came from a different spot. Scoop and inner loop I think while main ball was at the top of the outer loop. It usually happens deep into a game and is associated with a mode. I’d say it happens once every four or five games. It collects the extra balls when they drain and does not end the ball until the last (the real in play ball) drains, so it seems to recognize that there are multiple balls in play. That and the occasional absence of GI on ball start (which turns on after a minute or so) are the biggies I notice with the beta. Otherwise, the game seems more stable and the light show is even better than before. One stupid little thing that bugs probably only me is when Master Mystery mode starts, the call out says “Master of Mystery” which is wrong. However, that’s always been there and had nothing to do with the beta.

#10927 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This is surprising to me as I had lots of ball tracking issues with the Beta code and not just phantom multiballs but also it locking balls during multiballs, essentially treating those like drains and very often taking a long time to register drains, sometimes negating ball saves. I also had the issue I posted about where the right lock release would just not hold down until I re-loaded the code. The last released build had been much, much more reliable in my experience.

We need to figure out why you were having so many issues with the beta that others are not seeing. Let me know if you go back to the beta and we can pull
logs when you have issues to see what is going on.

#10928 3 years ago

I've downloaded and installed the beta code. Is there a changelog somewhere? What kind of new features or fixed bugs has the update?
Thank you

#10929 3 years ago

I look forward to any fix for the dropping flippers, though I have learned to deal this would be a welcome improvement. Also, I am one of the seemingly few with ball tracking issues and pulled back from beta code to previously released. The game is a gem for sure but I'm not in the camp who thinks ball tracking is not an issue.

#10930 3 years ago
196AD439-42CE-464F-BD88-365D1E519CBA (resized).jpeg196AD439-42CE-464F-BD88-365D1E519CBA (resized).jpeg
#10931 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

[quoted image]

Killer look!

#10932 3 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I look forward to any fix for the dropping flippers, though I have learned to deal this would be a welcome improvement. Also, I am one of the seemingly few with ball tracking issues and pulled back from beta code to previously released. The game is a gem for sure but I'm not in the camp who thinks ball tracking is not an issue.

As I said to bobukcat, if you go back to the Beta and have these issues, send me logs when you do with what you are seeing so we can try to figure out what is happening. Please be sure the clock is correct on your game, so that you can give me3 date and times the issue you see occurs.

Quoted from pimseb:

I've downloaded and installed the beta code. Is there a changelog somewhere? What kind of new features or fixed bugs has the update?
Thank you

The overall choreography of the entire game was modified and improved. New lightshows were added, animation tweaks, etc. additional settings to make it easier to earn Houdini letters, magic stand-up support for secret missions . . .

#10933 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

[quoted image]

Source on your felt?

Definitely want to do this too..! Nice work!

#10934 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Source on your felt?
Definitely want to do this too..! Nice work!

It’s a bit of a PIA to install because of cutouts, etc. I used this from amazon:

0E697AEB-3958-4F6D-848B-63D9E9E113FA (resized).jpeg0E697AEB-3958-4F6D-848B-63D9E9E113FA (resized).jpeg
#10935 3 years ago

I took it upon myself to translate from screenshot to amazon link for the betterment of the universe....
https://www.amazon.com/self-adhesive-durable-resistant-multi-purpose-different/dp/B01N2RSPY2/ref=sr_1_13

#10936 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

[quoted image]

Looks good. I like both the look and the fact that it no longer sounds like a hammer hitting a tin roof.
Yes, the install is simple, but tedious and a bit of a pain.

#10937 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Looks good. I like both the look and the fact that it no longer sounds like a hammer hitting a tin roof.
Yes, the install is simple, but tedious and a bit of a pain.

I wonder how tough it would be to make a template? Now that it's installed it's a bit late, but if I get a second to do this, I might at least take a photo so it can be sized/printed

#10938 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

It’s a bit of a PIA to install because of cutouts, etc. I used this from amazon:[quoted image]

Quoted from RobF:

I took it upon myself to translate from screenshot to amazon link for the betterment of the universe....
amazon.com link »

Thanks guys!

I wonder if this would work also. Even cheaper!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N5OJLY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_O81jFb3S43SZQ

#10939 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

It’s a bit of a PIA to install because of cutouts, etc. I used this from amazon:[quoted image]

Yeah I posted that mod a while back. Works great and reduces the sound

#10940 3 years ago

Picked up my Houdini today, setup went good will dial in slope and level tomorrow. Love the game, just ordered shaker,knocker and pin blades. I did notice the trunk stays open all the time, anyone have this issue?

#10941 3 years ago

Not supposed to.

#10942 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

I did notice the trunk stays open all the time, anyone have this issue?

Not good. I’m pretty sure that’s a solenoid and If I’m correct, it should not be on all the time.

#10943 3 years ago

I always hear of excellent build quality on these games

What are the things To look forward to vs. stern for instance?

#10944 3 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

The lack of playfield dimpling for example.

#10945 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Not good. I’m pretty sure that’s a solenoid and If I’m correct, it should not be on all the time.

I will check it tomorrow because it is still open with the game off, maybe the post catching on something.

#10946 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

I will check it tomorrow because it is still open with the game off, maybe the post catching on something.

That sounds better. It will be something that’s stuck.

#10947 3 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Flippers are POWER-ful.
"Feels" solid. (this isn't really objective but putting your hands on the game you understand)
Snappy solenoids.
Outstanding powdercoat and artwork on the cabinet.
REAL backglass (no translite) with artwork cropped out for the LCD screen.
inventive code, familiar but unique, creative rules for each mode.
Cross-your-arms straitjacket multiball!
GREAT, creative shaker integration
and for that matter - great, creative knocker integration!
Deep as hell, super tough
The catapult still amazes me after seeing it 1000 times
Multiple ball locks, ball "disappears" in the stage, and in other modes

#10948 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

[quoted image]

looks amazing. I used a dark red, but also like the blue

#10949 3 years ago

I used pieces of copy paper to make templates...

#10950 3 years ago

When setting the pitch where do you put the device, I am getting .1 difference at the middle of play-field and flippers.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 219 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/219?hl=theadicts77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.