20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 218 of 297.
#10851 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Do you have a link on that material? It looks great.

Historically a steamer trunk would have been silk lined.

But a lot of jewelry cases are velvet lined.

#10852 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Do you have a link on that material? It looks great.

Unfortunately no. It was pre-COVID and I bought it at JoAnn’s almost two years ago.

#10853 3 years ago
Quoted from SpinnerAddict:

Thanks for letting me know. I don’t seem to get the issues all the time but it really irritates me when i have a decent game going and I lose a ball because of it. I’m guessing since its been 2.5 years for you a fix is not gonna happen.

No it's not unfortunately. Installing the upgraded Power Supply, being that you just bought yours you should have upgraded one so no worries there and/or the EOS won't make a difference on the flippers. Supposedly the next software update was to address this but reading the post from those that are testing the BETA have noted the issue still is there.

#10854 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

No it's not unfortunately. Installing the upgraded Power Supply, being that you just bought yours you should have upgraded one so no worries there and/or the EOS won't make a difference on the flippers. Supposedly the next software update was to address this but reading the post from those that are testing the BETA have noted the issue still is there.

I'm ignorant to the flipper issue... so, this question has probably been answered. But, is this something that some games have and others do not? Or is it universal across the board?

I've owned my Houdini for about 3 weeks or so and I don't think I've experienced it. But, perhaps I'm just not familiar enough with the game?

#10855 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I'm ignorant to the flipper issue... so, this question has probably been answered. But, is this something that some games have and others do not? Or is it universal across the board?
I've owned my Houdini for about 3 weeks or so and I don't think I've experienced it. But, perhaps I'm just not familiar enough with the game?

Not everyone has -reported- it, and it’s pretty hard to prove something has -not- happened. But it does appear to happen more to certain games vs others. I get this pretty rarely - it mostly seems to happen when you’ve got a multiball going, and the magnets fire right about when you’re hitting the flippers

#10856 3 years ago

Bad news from my PD-16 Coil board. I repaired it and it worked in test mode. But during the game the autofire coil was getting to hot while the transitor was activated all the time. And now the coil is damaged and i have to replace it.

All european distriubutors has long waiting times for spareparts. So is it possible to use a WPC-Coil and solder it correctly? - If yes which coil can i use?

Thank you for your input and help.

cheers - Mighty

#10857 3 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Bad news from my PD-16 Coil board. I repaired it and it worked in test mode. But during the game the autofire coil was getting to hot while the transitor was activated all the time. And now the coil is damaged and i have to replace it.
All european distriubutors has long waiting times for spareparts. So is it possible to use a WPC-Coil and solder it correctly? - If yes which coil can i use?
Thank you for your input and help.
cheers - Mighty

All coils are standard on Houdini, with almost every coil a 23-800, a pretty common coil. You can just cut off the leads/connector and solder to a new one

#10858 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not everyone has -reported- it, and it’s pretty hard to prove something has -not- happened. But it does appear to happen more to certain games vs others...

I've mentioned a couple of times in the thread, I don't think I've ever seen this issue. I'm not a great player, but given the amount of attention it's gotten over the year or so it's been discussed - I think I would have noticed it if it did occur. Weird.

#10859 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I've mentioned a couple of times in the thread, I don't think I've ever seen this issue. I'm not a great player, but given the amount of attention it's gotten over the year or so it's been discussed - I think I would have noticed it if it did occur. Weird.

I’d say “ditto” if wasn’t sure I’d jinx myself. So, no official comment, but hypothetically I have not seen it either.

#10860 3 years ago

in testing left pop is dead but top and right work.. and my knocker does not work ... any ideas? please

#10861 3 years ago

Does the pop bumper skirt register in switch test ?

Probably not a fuse. First I'd dig around the coil lugs - broken wire ? Thin wire from coil winding that goes to lug, cracked or broken - you may need to dig around them to make sure ? Then I'd check wiring from lugs to where it all goes to board that drives it. Connector off, wire out of a connector, broken wire somewhere else.

LTG : )

#10862 3 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

in testing left pop is dead but top and right work.. and my knocker does not work .

Do they work in game play ?

#10863 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Do they work in game play ?

top and right in gameplay work. left pop does not thanks ltg

#10864 3 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

. left pop does not

Check it's switch in switch test next.

#10865 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

it mostly seems to happen when you’ve got a multiball going, and the magnets fire right about when you’re hitting the flippers

I’m testing a upgrade to give the coils more consistent power during heavy power usage.
So far the results are very good! I’ll be working on a kit and instructions for this simple upgrade very soon.

#10866 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I’m testing a upgrade to give the coils more consistent power during heavy power usage.
So far the results are very good! I’ll be working on a kit and instructions for this simple upgrade very soon.

you will be a hero! good work sir

#10867 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Count me in!

#10868 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Im in!

#10869 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

All coils are standard on Houdini, with almost every coil a 23-800, a pretty common coil. You can just cut off the leads/connector and solder to a new one

rosh Thank you! - Do i need the one with a diode or the one without?

#10870 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Count me in

#10871 3 years ago

Please put me down for one kit.
Thanks for doing what AP should be doing.
I will buy a Hot Wheels when AP fixes Houdini.

#10872 3 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

rosh Thank you! - Do i need the one with a diode or the one without?

NO. Diode, very important to cut it off

#10873 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Sounds to good to be true - Awesome hope it's possible to build it from scratch for us germancustomers

#10874 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

NO. Diode, very important to cut it off

Thank you Rosh - ordered a Coil without diode - so hope i got it all ready for the weekend pinball night

#10875 3 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Please put me down for one kit.
Thanks for doing what AP should be doing.
I will buy a Hot Wheels when AP fixes Houdini.

Brenna98 is AP's technical service manager. We are happy to help. Thank you for your continued support, wolftownjeff and happy flipping

#10876 3 years ago
Quoted from Vegas9:

Brenna98 is AP's technical service manager. We are happy to help. Thank you for your continued support, wolftownjeff and happy flipping

Guys you're awesome thank you so much and can't wait for the fix :p

#10877 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Has Oktoberfest had similar flipper power consistency issues?

#10878 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Not been reported AFAIK

#10879 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I don't want to steal @brenna98's thunder but once he reveals what the fix is you'll understand why it doesn't apply to OKT or HW. He's been super-helpful to me in my quest to figure this out though, amazing support from a pinball manufacturer IMO.

#10880 3 years ago

I can’t wait. Seems to happen every other game for me lately. Makes me play my other pins more.

Quoted from brenna98:

#10881 3 years ago

brenna98 I’ll get those pics to you today that you asked for. Sorry it has taken this long.

#10882 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I don't want to steal brenna98's thunder but once he reveals what the fix is you'll understand why it doesn't apply to OKT or HW. He's been super-helpful to me in my quest to figure this out though, amazing support from a pinball manufacturer IMO.

Let me know if I can help guys, I'd love to put this thing to bed

#10883 3 years ago

I read this thread a long time before finally getting some scratch to buy Houdini and I must say, the dedication and support to this title is consistently outstanding.
I will own another AP title ASAP based on this alone. Thank you.

#10884 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not everyone has -reported- it, and it’s pretty hard to prove something has -not- happened. But it does appear to happen more to certain games vs others. I get this pretty rarely - it mostly seems to happen when you’ve got a multiball going, and the magnets fire right about when you’re hitting the flippers

It might be a voltage issue. Not everyone receives the same line voltage and throughout the day the voltage varies.

#10885 3 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

It might be a voltage issue. Not everyone receives the same line voltage and throughout the day the voltage varies.

The upgraded power supply was added to address that specific issue as the original ~55VDC supply is unregulated, the new one is regulated 48V and should be largely unaffected by minor variances of the input voltage. It vastly improved consistency of the catapult but did not solve the flipper issues under load.

#10886 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The upgraded power supply was added to address that specific issue as the original ~55VDC supply is unregulated, the new one is regulated 48V and should be largely unaffected by minor variances of the input voltage. It vastly improved consistency of the catapult but did not solve the flipper issues under load.

Exactly, the original power supply is probably better at handling the game load, but does not like varying wall voltage, nor does the catapult. The switching power supplies will give consistent voltage regardless of wall voltage variations, but are not quite as good at handling peak loads, which is what Dave is currently looking at.

#10887 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Exactly, the original power supply is probably better at handling the game load, but does not like varying wall voltage, nor does the catapult. The switching power supplies will give consistent voltage regardless of wall voltage variations, but are not quite as good at handling peak loads, which is what Dave is currently looking at.

Great information and explanation.

I have a game with original power supply and apparently the wall voltage is pretty consistent. Flippers and catapult seem to stay stable. Have not had any problems. One in a great while I have had to adjust catapult coil up or down. Maybe once or twice in about 9-10 months of ownership. Have not had an issue with the flipper power.

#10888 3 years ago

I recieved my spare PD-16 coil Driver Board from a distributor (ministry of pinball) but the connectors (j9 and j10) for Logic serial Data have only two Pins - so ground is misisng and so i guess its a v1 Board.

Can i use the V1 Board in my Houdini and If yes what have i to modify, cause the serial wires have a 3 pin design.

Hope you can Help me.

Thank you

#10889 3 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

I recieved my spare PD-16 coil Driver Board from a distributor (ministry of pinball) but the connectors (j9 and j10) for Logic serial Data have only two Pins - so ground is misisng and so i guess its a v1 Board.
Can i use the V1 Board in my Houdini and If yes what have i to modify, cause the serial wires have a 3 pin design.
Hope you can Help me.
Thank you

Yes you can use a V1 board. Pretty sure the 'extra' is pin3, so you can just use the current connector, as wired, just be sure you are on the right set of pins. You can also double check it via the multimorphic website.

Regardless of board version, VERY IMPORTANT to properly set the dip switches on the new board to match the board you are replacing, otherwise bad shit can happen.

#10890 3 years ago

Thanks rosh, Hope i find the right Dip Settings in my pictures or in the Manual.

I looked at the AP Houdini Manual.

J9 (in) on Board Revision 2 is

Pin1 Serial+
Pin 2 Serial-
Pin 3 Ground

That's the Same on my destroyed board.

On the Website from multimorpic pd16 coil driver Board Revision 1 (which ist my new Board, i bought)

J9 Input is:

Pin1 Serial+
Pin 2 Serial-

So Not sure If i need the ground... Cause all Others Boards connected with 3 Pins.

i'll also post some pictures, before Installation etc - maybe its possible that one of you can Check If its all rightt - so that i don't kill a Seconds Board again...

#10891 3 years ago

I am picking up NIB Houdini tomorrow,besides updating the code, anything I should watch out for (issues) or advice on setting it up
? My first Pin.
Thanks in advance

#10892 3 years ago

Here is how i would connect it:

Only Grey and purple from the wire. But is the blue cable (Ground) really not needed?

PD-16 (resized).JPGPD-16 (resized).JPG
#10893 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

I am picking up NIB Houdini tomorrow,besides updating the code, anything I should watch out for (issues) or advice on setting it up
? My first Pin.
Thanks in advance

Read the set up flyer in the game. Level per the instructions, etc.

#10894 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

? My first Pin.
Thanks in advance

Very important to have both the incline (or top to bottom) and the side to side levels adjusted properly. You’ll need a torpedo level (or something similar) to get the incline dialed in. See this link for some basic leveling info:

https://www.pinballnews.com/learn/level/index.html

Download and print the manual from the API site at:

http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2018-10/AP_Houdini-Service-Manual_091018.pdf

Make sure you have the latest code.

I’d say don’t worry too much about the mods or adjustments mentioned on the API support page unless they prove to actually be a problem. It’s real easy to get over you skies with pinball, especially when you are new to it. A lot depends on your experience with electronics and such. If you have none, go slow. It will get there. If you have a lot of experience, then pinball will be pretty straightforward.

If you have any issues, just post here. Lots of good people with lots of experience with this game and pinball in general.

#10895 3 years ago
Quoted from Chopper36:

? My first Pin.
Thanks in advance

Congratulations, it's a fantastic game! If this is your first game this may seem daunting but I'd suggest cleaning and adjusting the pop bumper switches. Also make sure to use easier settings than the defaults, they are way too difficult for all but the best players.

#10896 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Congratulations, it's a fantastic game! If this is your first game this may seem daunting but I'd suggest cleaning and adjusting the pop bumper switches. Also make sure to use easier settings than the defaults, they are way too difficult for all but the best players.

Ditto on the settings.

#10897 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Very important to have both the incline (or top to bottom) and the side to side levels adjusted properly. You’ll need a torpedo level (or something similar) to get the incline dialed in. See this link for some basic leveling info:
https://www.pinballnews.com/learn/level/index.html
Download and print the manual from the API site at:
http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2018-10/AP_Houdini-Service-Manual_091018.pdf
Make sure you have the latest code.
I’d say don’t worry too much about the mods or adjustments mentioned on the API support page unless they prove to actually be a problem. It’s real easy to get over you skies with pinball, especially when you are new to it. A lot depends on your experience with electronics and such. If you have none, go slow. It will get there. If you have a lot of experience, then pinball will be pretty straightforward.
If you have any issues, just post here. Lots of good people with lots of experience with this game and pinball in general.

This is the correct answer. The game level is INCREDIBLY important; perhaps more on this game than any other. If your floor is perfectly level, you can screw the levelers all the way in. The game is designed to be played at about a 6 degree pitch, not the 6.5 many other games are. If you want to set it up at 6.5 (mine is about 6.2), boost the rear levelers obviously, but ALSO drop the flippers a tiny bit; about 1/8". This makes the milk can shot makeable again.

#10898 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This is the correct answer. The game level is INCREDIBLY important; perhaps more on this game than any other. If your floor is perfectly level, you can screw the levelers all the way in. The game is designed to be played at about a 6 degree pitch, not the 6.5 many other games are. If you want to set it up at 6.5 (mine is about 6.2), boost the rear levelers obviously, but ALSO drop the flippers a tiny bit; about 1/8". This makes the milk can shot makeable again.

Really? This game can’t be jacked up to 7deg pitch?

#10899 3 years ago

Thank You guys for all the info. I liked this game when I first saw it and it has a lot of support from this thread. Just worried about the carpeted floor in the new pinball room. I will probably have to cut up some wood to put under the legs but will try it without first.

#10900 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Really? This game can’t be jacked up to 7deg pitch?

Ball moves too fast.
Lots of stage rejects.

I have my game at 6.2

Flippers drooped 1/8"

Left flipper power up one notch from the right

Something like 24R, 25L or there abouts.

Probably lower if you have strong wall power.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 218 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/218?hl=spinneraddict and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.