20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 213 of 297.
#10601 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

why, exactly, are houndini's selling for $5,500 now?

I saw one for $5K posted today and thought to myself I wish I had waited instead of buying NIB but then I would have been missing out on one of my favorite games for the past 2.5 years. The game gets a bad rap for being too hard (it's not) plus a lot of negative comments and feedback from the beginning it's never really recovered from. Part of that was having too difficult default rules and part was typical Pinside negativity but I tell you anyone buying a HUO one at these prices is getting the biggest steal in pinball in a very, very long time!

#10602 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I saw one for $5K posted today and thought to myself I wish I had waited instead of buying NIB but then I would have been missing out on one of my favorite games for the past 2.5 years. The game gets a bad rap for being too hard (it's not) plus a lot of negative comments and feedback from the beginning it's never really recovered from. Part of that was having too difficult default rules and part was typical Pinside negativity but I tell you anyone buying a HUO one at these prices is getting the biggest steal in pinball in a very, very long time!

This is a STEAL. Houdini is heavily underrated because of "hard shots, " but being too easy is why most games get downgraded. It makes no sense.

Awesome art package, great toys, lots of modes, objectives, superb calls outs, and a very unique layout that would make it a fantastic choice for any size collection.

#10603 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

Where are you seeing 5500?

They were selling for around 6k 6 months ago but the price has dropped. There are four listed in Marketplace one for 4700, two for 5k and a NIB one for 5700.

#10604 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

A lot of new games have come out since Houdini was made.

Older titles usually depreciate. Very few hold value or go up. Doesn't matter which game or manufacturer.

LTG : )

#10605 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

Because not enough people have played it. Grab it while you can!

#10606 3 years ago

I had a Houdini a while back and sold it.

I missed it so much that, today, I ordered a NIB one, along with Hot Wheels!

Can’t wait to get them both in the house.

Guys, if you are wondering and I know it has been said before but the build quality of AP machines is second to none, not to mention the gorgeous powder coated armor on Houdini.

#10607 3 years ago

Just played Hot wheels, very cool game! I cant wait to see what else API comes out with. Hoping for more of a monster, scary theme, that's my go to.

#10608 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Just played Hot wheels, very cool game! I cant wait to see what else API comes out with. Hoping for more of a monster, scary theme, that's my go to.

Good to hear you liked playing Hot Wheels. I ordered Hot Wheels to sit next to my Houdini. Very much looking forward to it.

#10609 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Here you go:
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you!!!
F1B47D1D-5D1C-47B3-82BC-5C83DA1B8144 (resized).jpegF1B47D1D-5D1C-47B3-82BC-5C83DA1B8144 (resized).jpeg

#10610 3 years ago

Does anybody know if you can touch up the powder coat color on the Houdini lock bar? Mine came a little scratched up on the edge just wondering if anybody tried to match the paint.

#10611 3 years ago

Picking up a Houdini next weekend. Excited to pick this game apart in the home environment!

#10612 3 years ago

It’s a great game just had a monster bullet catch paired with trunk multiball. I’ll miss it when it’s gone but the catapult problem paired with losing track of the ball has me thoroughly annoyed. If these problems were to cease I’d certainly pick one of these bad boys back up again

0EB8C4A2-96DB-4415-8BF5-93CC8369E921 (resized).jpeg0EB8C4A2-96DB-4415-8BF5-93CC8369E921 (resized).jpeg
#10613 3 years ago

"Stan and Tom's Pinball Adventures." Friend and I drove 4.5 hours this Saturday to pick up not 1, but 2 NIB Houdini's. We are both excited and are adding all the key upgrades/mods (art blades, voodoo glass, shaker, real knocker, full Cliffy set). We both have heard about power supply. Is there an easy way to tell if we have the older or newer power supply?

Thanks!

68A4FF5D-6635-4C3D-9B35-09CC5B98B72E (resized).jpeg68A4FF5D-6635-4C3D-9B35-09CC5B98B72E (resized).jpegC31045ED-180B-49FB-8C01-D14AA15E2CE3 (resized).jpegC31045ED-180B-49FB-8C01-D14AA15E2CE3 (resized).jpeg
#10614 3 years ago

The games will have the original older power supply. But - you may not have issues with it. From what I understand some of the problem might be how consistent your line voltage is in your home. If you have issues you can upgrade to the newer power supply. If I recall correctly about $150.00

Set your games up, update the code, level carefully and see how they play. Enjoy.

Happy Father's day - good excuse to buy those games. Congratulations.

#10615 3 years ago

Is Houdini still being made, or is it only existing stock being sold?

#10616 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

"Stan and Tom's Pinball Adventures." Friend and I drove 4.5 hours this Saturday to pick up not 1, but 2 NIB Houdini's. We are both excited and are adding all the key upgrades/mods (art blades, voodoo glass, shaker, real knocker, full Cliffy set). We both have heard about power supply. Is there an easy way to tell if we have the older or newer power supply?
Thanks![quoted image][quoted image]

Wow! Lift the playfield or open the coin door and use a flashlight to look in the back of the cabinet, if the power supply had a big, round coiled transformer with a plastic cover over it and that's the only one in there it's the original. Congrats to both of you on picking up a great game!

#10617 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Those serial numbers would appear to indicate the total number produced might be closer to 700 than previously believed.

#10618 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

"We both have heard about power supply. Is there an easy way to tell if we have the older or newer power supply?

Congrats to you and your buddy!

Look at the pics in this thread — the topic gallery link above — and you’ll see the different variations of power supplies this game has had. Seems like there are 3 variations: the original; the original with the upgrade beside it; and the new type of ps where the upgrade is integrated so there’s only one big metal enclosure.

With your high serial numbers I would expect your pins have the new type.

Edit: whoa I just double checked and realized there are 1400 images in the thread lol! Search for ‘power supply’ in the thread and that’ll show bring up the different types more quickly.

#10619 3 years ago
Quoted from JimFNB:

Congrats to you and your buddy!
Look at the pics in this thread — the topic gallery link above — and you’ll see the different variations of power supplies this game has had. Seems like there are 3 variations: the original; the original with the upgrade beside it; and the new type of ps where the upgrade is integrated so there’s only one big metal enclosure.
With your high serial numbers I would expect your pins have the new type.
Edit: whoa I just double checked and realized there are 1400 images in the thread lol! Search for ‘power supply’ in the thread and that’ll show bring up the different types more quickly.

Thanks JimFNB! I see EOS kits are sold out. Will there be more made available?

#10620 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Thanks JimFNB! I see EOS kits are sold out. Will there be more made available?

You can make them yourself, but contact them first.

Its simple to install.

#10621 3 years ago

Looks like I have the new power supply, right? Boy, as many have said, this pin is built like a tank. Limited Edition, at a "Pro" price.

IMG_1881 (resized).jpegIMG_1881 (resized).jpegIMG_1882 (resized).jpegIMG_1882 (resized).jpeg
#10622 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Looks like I have the new power supply, right?

Right.

Enjoy your game !

#10623 3 years ago

OK never seen this powersupply.... Is it for all voltges?
As a buyer from the First hours i feel a Bit fooled... But If If there is no difference between this and the combibanation of the old one (5v/12v) + 48V ps then ok and all fine.

But i'm Not shure If there is an Impact on the 5/12V old PS which is not stabilized... And If this takes effect during gameplay...

Hope to get more information

#10624 3 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

OK never seen this powersupply.... Is it for all voltges?

Yes. Newest incarnation.

Quoted from MightyGrave:

But If If there is no difference between this and the combibanation of the old one (5v/12v) + 48V ps then ok and all fine.

No difference between newest and combination of original and add on.

#10625 3 years ago

Is the issue with older version of power supply just weak flippers/pops and inconsistent catapult?

#10626 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes. Newest incarnation.

No difference between newest and combination of original and add on.

Thanks ltg good to hear then i'm fine and Love the new Look

Now only the weak-flipper-issue has to be solved and then Houdini will be a master piece

#10627 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Is the issue with older version of power supply just weak flippers/pops and inconsistent catapult?

As I recall reading over the threads over time.

It was a combination of the household power and power supply.

#10628 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

As I recall reading over the threads over time.
It was a combination of the household power and power supply.

There are still Problems with Flippers also with the add-on supply - would be cool If an user can Test the old vs new supply and see if the Flipper Power is 100% during the whole gameplay without any issue...

#10629 3 years ago

OK, I fired up my game for first time. My 2 first issues:

1. Code was 18.8.5, so I tried to update to latest code. No joy. I reformatted USB drive to FAT32, but system looks like it goes through a reboot, but I never get message update in process or update complete.

2. I gave up on code update and tried to make sure game works. When I get ball in left ball lock, system doesn't recognize the ball is locked and thus doesn't kick me a new ball.

Any help would be appreciated.

#10630 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

OK, I fired up my game for first time. My 2 first issues:
1. Code was 18.8.5, so I tried to update to latest code. No joy. I reformatted USB drive to FAT32, but system looks like it goes through a reboot, but I never get message update in process or update complete.
2. I gave up on code update and tried to make sure game works. When I get ball in left ball lock, system doesn't recognize the ball is locked and thus doesn't kick me a new ball.
Any help would be appreciated.

With older versions of code you had to rename it first, I'm pretty sure the AP support site has that information posted.

2 Probably need to adjust the switches. Put the game in switch test mode and adjust as necessary. If it's not working at all even with your finger check wires to the switch and where they connect to the board under the PF.

#10631 3 years ago

Well, the drama continues. My first day trying to get NIB pin to work. I tried to update code from 18.8.5 to latest. First, I had problem with a USB drive. Got another one and this time I got the expected messages saying update in progress and update complete. Turned off machine and took off USB drive. Started back up and black screen of death. See picture that pops us back and forth.

I checked drive and I see and error log. Maybe that's a clue to what's going on?

IMG_1891 (resized).jpegIMG_1891 (resized).jpeg
#10632 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

With older versions of code you had to rename it first, I'm pretty sure the AP support site has that information posted.

This is not necessary for versions 18.5.5 and up, only versions older than that. From the release notes;

*if your current code version (shown on screen during boot up) is earlier than 18.8.5, you need to
rename the file to houdini-gamecode.pkg

#10634 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Well, the drama continues. My first day trying to get NIB pin to work. I tried to update code from 18.8.5 to latest. First, I had problem with a USB drive. Got another one and this time I got the expected messages saying update in progress and update complete. Turned off machine and took off USB drive. Started back up and black screen of death. See picture that pops us back and forth.
I checked drive and I see and error log. Maybe that's a clue to what's going on?
[quoted image]

Make sure the USB stick does not have a space in the name

#10635 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Make sure the USB stick does not have a space in the name

title of stick was ""NO_NAME" That OK? I filed a service ticket which I assume you will see.

#10636 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

title of stick was ""NO_NAME" That OK? I filed a service ticket which I assume you will see.

Title shouldn’t matter - but different brands of USB sticks just won’t read properly. Slightly different drivers for each stick. Same with my JJP and Stern games. I now use a single stick for updating everything.

#10637 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Title shouldn’t matter - but different brands of USB sticks just won’t read properly.

Actually, the title on the stick does matter, I recently discovered the code is not happy when there is a space in the name of the USB stick. It is possible that the space was the issue and not the brand of USB stick. Certain brands/formats may still be an issue, I have yet to have one that did not work, but, not like I have tested that many. Some days someone will send me one that does not work and I'll see what the issue might be.

Is the machine copying anything out to the stick? Do you get the 'count down' to code update or does it just jump the screenwith the 'audits' message? If the update is only taking a few seconds, then it is not seeing the code. If you have not tried renaming the code package, give that a try just to be sure. houdini-gamecode.pkg

#10638 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Actually, the title on the stick does matter, I recently discovered the code is not happy when there is a space in the name of the USB stick. It is possible that the space was the issue and not the brand of USB stick. Certain brands/formats may still be an issue, I have yet to have one that did not work, but, not like I have tested that many. Some days someone will send me one that does not work and I'll see what the issue might be.
Is the machine copying anything out to the stick? Do you get the 'count down' to code update or does it just jump the screenwith the 'audits' message? If the update is only taking a few seconds, then it is not seeing the code. If you have not tried renaming the code package, give that a try just to be sure. houdini-gamecode.pkg

I’m stopping by my friends house who just purchased the same time and updated. I will use his same stick. I didn’t, but will double check all connections. I have not done that yet too. And yes, I did get count down and final message to cycle power/ audits. I get black screen after shutting down and turning machine back on.

#10639 3 years ago

Josh, now that I’m getting black screen, is it safe to plug in USB stick after powering machine on? I will also rename if my friends stick doesn’t work either.

#10640 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Josh, now that I’m getting black screen, is it safe to plug in USB stick after powering machine on? I will also rename if my friends stick doesn’t work either.

it is safe. What is odd is it sounds like it seeing the update, but then failing, which again, is why I asked about the name of the USB stick. Does it put anything on the USB stick?

#10641 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

it is safe. What is odd is it sounds like it seeing the update, but then failing, which again, is why I asked about the name of the USB stick. Does it put anything on the USB stick?

Good news, I'm 90% there now. I used my friend's USB Stick and it worked the first time. I now have latest update. And, I think I found the other issue. The #1 ball lock switch is not quite centered and not always making contact. Do I bend it or can I adjust the the angle of the switch so that it leans further down by adjusting the 2 screws that hold the switch in place?

EF73F029-1CB4-4582-8D81-D3C06BA680D0 (resized).jpegEF73F029-1CB4-4582-8D81-D3C06BA680D0 (resized).jpeg
#10642 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

can I adjust the the angle of the switch so that it leans further down by adjusting the 2 screws that hold the switch in place?

Check it. Some switches if loosened you can turn the body of the switch a little as needed and retighten the screws. Not too tight or the switch won't work.

If not, then bend the arm of the switch a little. Out past the body of the switch. So you don't impact the flat blade that pushes the tiny knob into the body of the switch.

#10643 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Check it. Some switches if loosened you can turn the body of the switch a little as needed and retighten the screws. Not too tight or the switch won't work.
If not, then bend the arm of the switch a little. Out past the body of the switch. So you don't impact the flat blade that pushes the tiny knob into the body of the switch.

Not much "play" with the screws, so just had to bend switch arm a bit and all is good, now working 99.5%

I have one small issue, occasionally the catapult doesn't fire unless I shake machine or hit flipper buttons. Adjust the catapult switch?

#10644 3 years ago

Now that I have my game running, time to get the key mods. I see EOS switch kit sold out. rosh will they be available again? I'm also ready to install my shaker and order side blades and real knocker. Any other key mods you all recommend?

#10645 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Not much "play" with the screws, so just had to bend switch arm a bit and all is good, now working 99.5%
I have one small issue, occasionally the catapult doesn't fire unless I shake machine or hit flipper buttons. Adjust the catapult switch?

Check the catapult switch for looseness.

Increase the pitch a little.
Im at 6.7 degrees

#10646 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Now that I have my game running, time to get the key mods. I see EOS switch kit sold out. rosh will they be available again? I'm also ready to install my shaker and order side blades and real knocker. Any other key mods you all recommend?

Knocker is great. Wait until you stack trunk multiball, seance and Bullet Catch - Awesome

I really like the 3D API facade that fits around the stage mini screen (see: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1080-the-mod-couple/01864-api-houdini-api-grand-theater-3d-facade-makeover-mod)

The Mod Couple has other nice mods, like the robot, but I think most are sold out

I also like “HOUDINI'S STAGE/THEATRE DRESS UP DECALS“

And love the Mod Father Houdini Pin Cup.

#10647 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

EOS switches you'll probably find aren't needed. The shaker, side blades and knocker are great additions. I also liked the Brite Buttons for the flipper. I had installed orange ones and thought it looked great.

Note: If anyone is interested in installing the Brite Buttons I put directions for them here..... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/175#post-4932721

#10648 3 years ago

Agree re the API sideblades. I hear they are tricky to apply, but they are great looking.

#10649 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Power supply, EOS switch kit, SEANCE planchette, Q the robot, Chinese water torture chamber, Houdini poster, (it sounds like you are already have/going to have the shaker, knocker, and art blades)

#10650 3 years ago

Does anyone know if Mod Couple will be remaking some of the Houdini Mods? No "contact" link on their site to know any type of status.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 213 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/213?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.