20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 209 of 297.
#10401 3 years ago

Reseating did the trick, the P3-Roc was not getting any power. traced the cable to the power board and reseated.

#10402 3 years ago

Help! The threaded screw in the 3 3/8" bumper rod broke and American Pinball is not responding. I can't find any mention of this part in the Service Manual. Can I find this part anywhere else or rig something else to work?

Pop-Coupler (resized).JPGPop-Coupler (resized).JPG
#10403 3 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

American Pinball is not responding.

Try sending PM's here to Vegas9 , rosh , Ferret with the shut down and all. Response might be all over the map. They are usually pretty quick.

LTG : )

#10404 3 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

Help! The threaded screw in the 3 3/8" bumper rod broke and American Pinball is not responding. I can't find any mention of this part in the Service Manual. Can I find this part anywhere else or rig something else to work?
[quoted image]

Crazy that it broke. They have them on the site and are described as HEX0406-20 HEX Spacers. They look like what Comet and others sell for spotlight posts, and you can check with Pinball Resource or Marco. I eyeballed mine and they look the same as spacers on a couple of my games. Now that I see yours broke, I’m going to order a set just in case.

#10407 3 years ago

Started up a game as normal... watched it loading... as soon as the welcome voiceover started I hit the start button to play and my monitor died... now it won’t come back on. Any ideas?

46305B0C-A5BF-44C9-8E53-474EECD5186F (resized).jpeg46305B0C-A5BF-44C9-8E53-474EECD5186F (resized).jpeg
#10408 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Started up a game as normal... watched it loading... as soon as the welcome voiceover started I hit the start button to play and my monitor died... now it won’t come back on. Any ideas?
[quoted image]

Do a cold reboot.

Pull the plug, turn off the power switch, hit the start button a couple times, wait 30 seconds.

Re-plug in the power cord, wait 15 seconds, turn on power switch.

Wait a bit and see if it boots.

If boot is successful wait 30 seconds after boot cycle ends and try to start a game.

Computers can get confused once in awhile, cold reboots sort them out.

#10409 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Do a cold reboot.
Pull the plug, turn off the power switch, hit the start button a couple times, wait 30 seconds.
If boot is successful wait 30 seconds after boot cycle ends and try to start a game.

Thank you for the advice. I will try that out.

#10410 3 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

[quoted image]

Buy them here

https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-pop-bumper-toy-hardware

#10411 3 years ago

I ordered these last night and they have already shipped!

#10412 3 years ago

I'd pick up an extra set while you are at it as I can see these breaking again down the road. Even with a bit of blue Loctite, I've noticed that mine will loosen a bit and require re-tightening.

#10413 3 years ago

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe I need to lower the power to the Pop Bummers from the factory setting. Love the drama of the strong Pops, but this is the 2nd time a bumper rod has broken.

#10414 3 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

Yeah, I'm thinking maybe I need to lower the power to the Pop Bummers from the factory setting. Love the drama of the strong Pops, but this is the 2nd time a bumper rod has broken.

Are you bumper rods powder coated or anodized or something? In your original post they appeared to be treated - or is that just reflection or some trick of the light? Mine look like plain steel, just like the replacements.

#10415 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Are you bumper rods powder coated or anodized or something? In your original post they appeared to be treated - or is that just reflection or some trick of the light? Mine look like plain steel, just like the replacements.

No, not coated. Just a reflection. The replacements are only $20 for the whole set, so I ordered two so I should be set for a long time. I urge you to do the same if you're worried about it.

#10416 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Do a cold reboot.

Hmm, still nothing from the monitor. No flashing or anything. No LED lit on top.

#10417 3 years ago

I'm having trouble with my switches on the upper and lower catapult. Mainly the upper catapult at the moment. This has happened 2 or 3 times since I purchased my Houdini. In the past, I've slightly bend the switch and it would work again. Frustrating because when I do a switch test it shows that the switch fires.

Does the switch have to remain in an "on" state to fire the catapult? Because it doesn't stay on. Is my switch bad? The switch does seem loose from side to side. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on with the switch?

Josh - Couldn't you change the code to just fire the upper catapult after a trunk shot instead of waiting for the ball find?

Thanks

#10418 3 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

In the past, I've slightly bend the switch and it would work again.

Quoted from konjurer:

Is my switch bad?

When you slightly bend it, bend it past the body of the switch, just the arm or wire past the body of the switch. Otherwise you effect the flat blade that pushes the tiny knob into the switch body. Then you drive yourself nuts trying to get it right.

Quoted from konjurer:

Is my switch bad?

Could be.

#10419 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Hmm, still nothing from the monitor. No flashing or anything. No LED lit on top.

No led = possibly no power.

Check the fuses with a meter.

#10420 3 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I ordered these last night and they have already shipped!

Ok. Now I'm frustrated. I requested the skill shot kit over a month ago and they confirmed this morning that it still has not shipped, but I've seen several people in this thread put in more recent orders and have them shipped. I guess they only care about new money coming in and not supporting people that already paid for their NIB machines.

#10421 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Ok. Now I'm frustrated. I requested the skill shot kit over a month ago and they confirmed this morning that it still has not shipped, but I've seen several people in this thread put in more recent orders and have them shipped. I guess they only care about new money coming in and not supporting people that already paid for their NIB machines.

Yeah I don’t think they are prioritizing like that. Take a look a few pages back. The AP guys are on top of it. Possibly you got mixed up in the queue, or more likely your part wasn’t ready and others had an easier-to-source part.

#10422 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Check out post 10335 for the fix. Not much involved with the fix except for one new rubber and a bit of bending.

#10423 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yeah I don’t think they are prioritizing like that. Take a look a few pages back. The AP guys are on top of it. Possibly you got mixed up in the queue, or more likely your part wasn’t ready and others had an easier-to-source part.

It's a single post rubber...

Quoted from GSones:

Check out post 10335 for the fix. Not much involved with the fix except for one new rubber and a bit of bending.

Yeah. I would just buy a post rubber but I don't know where I could get one without a substantial shipping fee.

The service has really been exceptionally bad. They ignore emails and I've had to follow up several times to get acknowledgements and even so, after more than a month, I'm no closer to getting it than when I first asked. It's really dampened my enthusiasm for the game to have started every ball since I got it with a broken skillshot.

I get that this is a difficult time but I've seen several people talk about how their part/accessory orders placed after mine have gone out or been received. At this point I feel like they only send something out if it's a new paid order.

#10424 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Yeah. I would just buy a post rubber but I don't know where I could get one without a substantial shipping fee.
The service has really been exceptionally bad. They ignore emails and I've had to follow up several times to get acknowledgements and even so, after more than a month, I'm no closer to getting it than when I first asked. It's really dampened my enthusiasm for the game to have started every ball since I got it with a broken skillshot.
I get that this is a difficult time but I've seen several people talk about how their part/accessory orders placed after mine have gone out or been received. At this point I feel like they only send something out if it's a new paid order.

PM me your address and I’ll mail you a post rubber

#10425 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I just bent/adjusted the guide slightly until it worked properly.

It took about 15 mins of fiddling with it.

No factory fix was needed for me.

#10426 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Order a bunch? Every pinball owner should have a drawer full of extra rubbers. What rubber is it? If it’s that big of a deal I’ll throw it an envelope and mail it to you.

#10427 3 years ago

First world problems during a pandemic... So how about that Houdini pinball hey! Still can’t get my catapult right still a cracking game

#10428 3 years ago

Yeah but it's six dollars postage!

#10429 3 years ago

Seems to me that Escape from Death would be more viable and fun if you could collect letters by also hitting the magic targets..which are lit. I have done so, but not gotten letters. Also by sinking the ball into the magic shop hole. Otherwise, it takes a miracle.

#10430 3 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Seems to me that Escape from Death would be more viable and fun if you could collect letters by also hitting the magic targets..which are lit. I have done so, but not gotten letters. Also by sinking the ball into the magic shop hole. Otherwise, it takes a miracle.

Hmmm- hitting the Magic Targets is about the only way I can collect the letters A,P,E for EFD.

#10431 3 years ago

Hmm, probably stupid questions.. but

Are there supposed to be any staged balls anywhere? Seems like my game wants to stage one at the ball lock.

Having an issue where at random times I’ll get multiple balls in play when there should not be. This happens when the ball lock opens and releases two balls. Also, I feel like sometimes a ball will appear out of nowhere from the seance scoop.

Maybe I have some optoelectronics or switches that need looking in to.

Thanks!

#10432 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Are there supposed to be any staged balls anywhere? Seems like my game wants to stage one at the ball lock.
Having an issue where at random times I’ll get multiple balls in play when there should not be. This happens when the ball lock opens and releases two balls. Also, I feel like sometimes a ball will appear out of nowhere from the seance scoop.
Thanks!

The 3 roller switches in the lane lock might need to be adjusted very slightly closer to the ball.

Like 1/64"...

Very slightly....that area is tough to dial in.

Im surprised they didnt use MRS switches there. Im thinking of modifying mine.

#10433 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Thanks!

What game version are you running?

#10434 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Thanks!

Yes the game will stage balls.

If you are on version 19.4.7 be sure the spotlights, backpanel and backglass brightness are set to 10. If those are set to less than 10 it can result in too many balls released from locks.

If you are on the beta code and this happening then send me logs right after it happens, the quicker the better, so I can try to find it in the log.

Those on beta should be able to use the dimming feature.

#10435 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

When you slightly bend it, bend it past the body of the switch, just the arm or wire past the body of the switch. Otherwise you effect the flat blade that pushes the tiny knob into the switch body. Then you drive yourself nuts trying to get it right.

Thanks LTG!

I did drive myself nuts getting it adjusted today. I'm not confident that this is going to be a permanent fix. That switch does not look easy to get at if (when) it eventually needs replaced.

#10436 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

What game version are you running?

Quoted from rosh:

Yes the game will stage balls.
If you are on version 19.4.7 be sure the spotlights, backpanel and backglass brightness are set to 10. If those are set to less than 10 it can result in too many balls released from locks.
If you are on the beta code and this happening then send me logs right after it happens, the quicker the better, so I can try to find it in the log.
Those on beta should be able to use the dimming feature.

Thanks guys. Yes. 19.4.7. I just turned backpanel brightness from 9 to 10. Will see if that helps.

#10437 3 years ago

I think that helped! Thank you!

Although... now my catapult switch isn’t registering... even in switch mode. Will tackle that next.

Looks normal, right?
D3BA15D3-9657-4842-A907-B97BBBBB29E0 (resized).jpegD3BA15D3-9657-4842-A907-B97BBBBB29E0 (resized).jpeg

#10438 3 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

Im not sure people realize how the NIB price has fallen on Houdini. You can get one for $1500 cheaper then what they used to be. Its like buying a Stern LE for way less$$.

I've heard from one Disty that over 50 are available NIB.

Would love to have a HUO Houdini...but peeps are asking more than NIB.

#10439 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Looks normal, right?

Looks like it was adjusted bent up at the point the red arrow is pointing too.

Can you loosen the screws and move the switch body at all ? Some brackets you can, some you can't.

If not I'd check it with your finger in switch test. If it works there, it probably needs to be bent up a little more at that point. The end pointed up looks like it might be low in the hole if a ball sits on it, not depressing the switch enough.

houdini (resized).jpghoudini (resized).jpg
#10440 3 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

I've heard from one Disty that over 50 are available NIB.
Would love to have a HUO Houdini...but peeps are asking more than NIB.

Then why not go NIB? I did and couldn't be happier!

#10441 3 years ago

Probably will soon.

#10442 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Looks like it was adjusted bent up at the point the red arrow is pointing too.
Can you loosen the screws and move the switch body at all ? Some brackets you can, some you can't.
If not I'd check it with your finger in switch test. If it works there, it probably needs to be bent up a little more at that point. The end pointed up looks like it might be low in the hole if a ball sits on it, not depressing the switch enough.
[quoted image]

Thanks LTG! Wonder if the switch is bad. Even pressing the red button on the switch does not trigger the switch (even in test mode). The only way I can get it to register in switch mode is if I hold a screwdriver across the contacts.

#10443 3 years ago

What prices are NIB there?

#10444 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

requested the skill shot kit

Apologies for the delay. Your skill shot kit is on the way.

#10445 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Wonder if the switch is bad. Even pressing the red button on the switch does not trigger the switch (even in test mode). The only way I can get it to register in switch mode is if I hold a screwdriver across the contacts.

PM sent, but i'll post my response here too so others have reference:
Inside the micro switch are contacts just like any other leaf switch. Do you have any contact cleaner spray? I've had good luck increasing connectivity by spraying some cleaner on the button of the micro switch, then working the lever with my finger several times.

If that doesn't get it working, submit a ticket and i'll get a new switch out to you: https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/

#10446 3 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Thanks LTG! Wonder if the switch is bad. Even pressing the red button on the switch does not trigger the switch (even in test mode). The only way I can get it to register in switch mode is if I hold a screwdriver across the contacts.

Short across the switch terminals during the test mode...that will help isolate the switch. Does it make a light 'click' noise when manually testing?

#10447 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

PM sent, but i'll post my response here too so others have reference:
Inside the micro switch are contacts just like any other leaf switch. Do you have any contact cleaner spray? I've had good luck increasing connectivity by spraying some cleaner on the button of the micro switch, then working the lever with my finger several times.
If that doesn't get it working, submit a ticket and i'll get a new switch out to you: https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/

Made a trip to Lowes and picked up some contact cleaner. Worked great! Thanks brenna98 and Houdini group!

#10448 3 years ago

I am planning to decorate the ramp a little. How about this ??
Its just to see how it looks.
I also put real shackles between the locks.
8772f19322575fb3a63720bd68c96057191e6565 (resized).jpg8772f19322575fb3a63720bd68c96057191e6565 (resized).jpg

#10449 3 years ago
Quoted from melappels:

I am planning to decorate the ramp a little. How about this ??
Its just to see how it looks.
I also put real shackles between the locks.
[quoted image]

Honestly....the originals look better. Those are too skinny. Just my opinion, not a knock.

#10450 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Honestly....the originals look better. Those are too skinny. Just my opinion, not a knock.

Yes they are, but if i use a more of a thick type shackle, the popbumper wont come up anymore.
Plus these can bent easy to attach them to the locks.
I am totaly happy with those.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 209 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/209?hl=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.