20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 208 of 297.
#10351 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Ask rosh or ferret They'd know. I don't do tech stuff for them, so I can't tell you to do something that would void your warranty.
LTG : )

Thanks buddy I just Contacted both. Hopefully they’ll post in the forum or PM me with a solution.

#10352 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Can you not just complete the install skipping the steps for the optional add-on power supply?

The knocker has now power and requires the connection to the power supply. Different setup than Octoberfest.

#10353 3 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

The knocker has now power and requires the connection to the power supply. Different setup than Octoberfest.

So the add-on board doesn't have 48Vdc to it with the new power supply modules? Maybe BarryJ can chime in since he wrote those install instructions for both games. Paging BTA, paging BTA!

#10354 3 years ago

If your game has the new style of power supply, then the Knocker kit plugs into the add on board PCB0021 which should already have 48V hooked up to it. No other wiring is required.

#10355 3 years ago

This came packaged with my Houdini. Can someone tell me what this is?

IMG_3983 (resized).JPGIMG_3983 (resized).JPG
#10356 3 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

This came packaged with my Houdini. Can someone tell me what this is?[quoted image]

something you will probably never need, it is to adjust the stage monitor

#10358 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

If your game has the new style of power supply, then the Knocker kit plugs into the add on board PCB0021 which should already have 48V hooked up to it. No other wiring is required.

rosh I’m not getting anything just plugging into DR5.

9A998D00-0B26-403F-85EF-A30A33D47B6A (resized).jpeg9A998D00-0B26-403F-85EF-A30A33D47B6A (resized).jpeg
#10359 3 years ago

I installed my new power supply, Shaker, and knocker (as well as API Grand decals). Here are photos. Hopefully they are helpful:

48 Volt Power Supply Added:

http://purcellvillepinball.com/Houdini.html#Power

Shaker added:

http://purcellvillepinball.com/Houdini.html#Shaker

Knocker:

http://purcellvillepinball.com/Houdini.html#Knocker

API Grand Decal:

http://purcellvillepinball.com/Houdini.html#APIGrandDecal

#10360 3 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I installed my new power supply, Shaker, and knocker (as well as API Grand decals). Here are photos. Hopefully they are helpful:
Shaker added:
Knocker:
API Grand Decal:

I really like those lever style connectors. So much better thn the wal-nuts.
Do you have a link as to where to get them?

#10361 3 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

rosh I’m not getting anything just plugging into DR5.[quoted image]

Working with Shalin From American Pinball and as usual to report top-notch service! I sent him the photos of my accessory board and it looks like mine is missing the 48 V plug but they’re going to send one on their way and that should correct any issues with the knocker And people that have the new power supplies.

#10362 3 years ago

05/01/2020

Press Release: American Pinball Hires Dave Brennan as Technical Services Manager

American Pinball is pleased to announce the hiring of Dave Brennan as Technical Services Manager. With over 7 years troubleshooting, fixing and restoring pinball machines of all eras, Dave brings his wealth of experience to ensure that all customer and distributor needs will be met when it comes to hands-on technical support and guidance.

One of Dave's immediate initiatives is to generate an ongoing series of instructional videos covering topics such as new game set-up, how to update code, maintenance tips and more. "I’m really looking forward to starting conversations with American Pinball owners and distributors to determine how I can best serve the pinball community," Dave offers. "I am extremely excited about this opportunity with American Pinball."

Dave’s passion for pinball repair and restoration, in addition to his skill set, will make him an asset to the American Pinball team and our customers. Dave has repaired over 100 games and fully restored over 25 pinball machines in the past several years in addition to assisting many collectors with troubleshooting technical issues with their games at home.

One of Dave's most recent and notable projects is livestreaming his progress in real time as he repairs and restores a Gottlieb Alien Star on Twitch and Facebook, while interacting with his viewers on his Twitch channel Twitch.tv/Turbografx7 and Turbografx7 Facebook Group as an affiliate of The Pinball Network. You can also find Dave on Pinside.com as brenna98.

We welcome him to American Pinball.

Contact info:
Dave Brennan
Technical Services Manager
[email protected]
Phone: (833) API-HELP / (833) 274-4357

#10363 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I really like those lever style connectors. So much better thn the wal-nuts.
Do you have a link as to where to get them?

www.makegoodies.com

click on electronics link. They will usually have a sale or a button to get your email to get an extra X% off.

I am using a 3 wire. But they also have 2 and 4 and maybe others. They are great!

#10364 3 years ago

I played a few games on the beta code before going back to the last release. It felt pretty wonky and laggy to me, and I did encounter a few ball tracking issues. I didn't keep close track of issues, but I'd say the stuff on the screen had a hard time keeping up.

#10365 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I played a few games on the beta code before going back to the last release. It felt pretty wonky and laggy to me, and I did encounter a few ball tracking issues. I didn't keep close track of issues, but I'd say the stuff on the screen had a hard time keeping up.

Might. Be worth trying again ...

#10366 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I havent seen anything worse than what is already there.

#10367 3 years ago

I’m excited to work with API and their customers!
As a community member, I know how valuable these club threads can be for information.
I’ll be getting up to speed with the company and the games over the next several weeks and will be reading the threads to see where I can help.
Should you need an answer from API directly; [email protected] or 833 API HELP

#10368 3 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I’m excited to work with API and their customers!
As a community member, I know how valuable these club threads can be for information.
I’ll be getting up to speed with the company and the games over the next several weeks and will be reading the threads to see where I can help.
Should you need an answer from API directly; [email protected] or 833 API HELP

Did you get hired too?
If so welcome!
Going to miss those aprons, .

#10369 3 years ago

I havent seen anything worse than what is already there.

Really? It felt a lot more unstable to me. The magic shop animations were usually out of sync. At least once per game I would have to wait for the ball search mode to realize that a ball was in a hole somewhere. The flow of the game definitely felt broken up. I'll try it again when it's out of beta.

#10370 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Really? It felt a lot more unstable to me. The magic shop animations were usually out of sync. At least once per game I would have to wait for the ball search mode to realize that a ball was in a hole somewhere. The flow of the game definitely felt broken up. I'll try it again when it's out of beta.

I had similar issues as you with the lag, but only played 5 or 6 games before reverting to previous code. Might be situational or temporary.

#10371 3 years ago
Quoted from Vegas9:

05/01/2020
Press Release: American Pinball Hires Dave Brennan as Technical Services Manager
American Pinball is pleased to announce the hiring of Dave Brennan as Technical Services Manager. With over 7 years troubleshooting, fixing and restoring pinball machines of all eras, Dave brings his wealth of experience to ensure that all customer and distributor needs will be met when it comes to hands-on technical support and guidance.
One of Dave's immediate initiatives is to generate an ongoing series of instructional videos covering topics such as new game set-up, how to update code, maintenance tips and more. "I’m really looking forward to starting conversations with American Pinball owners and distributors to determine how I can best serve the pinball community," Dave offers. "I am extremely excited about this opportunity with American Pinball."
Dave’s passion for pinball repair and restoration, in addition to his skill set, will make him an asset to the American Pinball team and our customers. Dave has repaired over 100 games and fully restored over 25 pinball machines in the past several years in addition to assisting many collectors with troubleshooting technical issues with their games at home.
One of Dave's most recent and notable projects is livestreaming his progress in real time as he repairs and restores a Gottlieb Alien Star on Twitch and Facebook, while interacting with his viewers on his Twitch channel Twitch.tv/Turbografx7 and Turbografx7 Facebook Group as an affiliate of The Pinball Network. You can also find Dave on Pinside.com as brenna98.
We welcome him to American Pinball.
Contact info:
Dave Brennan
Technical Services Manager
[email protected]
Phone: (833) API-HELP / (833) 274-4357

Maybe asnswer theur emails would be good.
I have need of support and got one email back but nothing more in a couple weeks.

#10372 3 years ago

Maybe asnswer theur emails would be good.
I have need of support and got one email back but nothing more in a couple weeks.

May take a bit for Dave to get up to speed. I'm sure they'll sort it out as fast as they can.

#10373 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

May take a bit for Dave to get up to speed. I'm sure they'll sort it out as fast as they can.

Absolutely! I hope they can get something done soon.

Im trying to get a knocker for my houdini.

This new beta code has given me a renewed interest in my game!

Finished code would be a dream come true...

#10374 3 years ago

I had a marathon game on Houdini tonight, ended up with 4.7M and 4 Houdini letters. This game is so deep it’s ridiculous! This game is a keeper for sure, the modes can be so intense. Houdini really forces you to make specific shots to progress. When the crowd started chanting “Houdini” I knew I had accomplished something special and collecting that huge encore jackpot was awesome. Reading the rules for this game, I still had a long way to go to reach master magician. I doubt I’ll ever achieve that, but this game always keeps me coming back for more. Those secret missions look tough as hell to accomplish.

One question: the din audio plug that goes into the amp in the backbox is not making a great connection and the audio is crackly on my game. Sometimes the sound cuts out and I have to unplug and plug that connector back in to get normal sound again. Also, I have the bass on the amp turned all the way up and it still sounds pretty tinny. Is there a sound system upgrade for this game because I’d love more bass. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

#10375 3 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I had a marathon game on Houdini tonight, ended up with 4.7M and 4 Houdini letters. This game is so deep it’s ridiculous! This game is a keeper for sure, the modes can be so intense. Houdini really forces you to make specific shots to progress. When the crowd started chanting “Houdini” I knew I had accomplished something special and collecting that huge encore jackpot was awesome. Reading the rules for this game, I still had a long way to go to reach master magician. I doubt I’ll ever achieve that, but this game always keeps me coming back for more. Those secret missions look tough as hell to accomplish.
One question: the din audio plug that goes into the amp in the backbox is not making a great connection and the audio is crackly on my game. Sometimes the sound cuts out and I have to unplug and plug that connector back in to get normal sound again. Also, I have the bass on the amp turned all the way up and it still sounds pretty tinny. Is there a sound system upgrade for this game because I’d love more bass. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Add a sub either in the cab or underneath the game.

#10376 3 years ago

OK, this game definitely needs help in the bass department! Looking at this Polk external powered sub...is this the one most Pinsiders are using?

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-10-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer-Single/dp/B0002KVQBA

To confirm, I just plug the Pinnovators subwoofer cable into the aux 3.5mm jack in the Houdini amp in the backbox and other end into the sub, correct?

https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/products/subwoofer-cable-kit-12-foot

#10377 3 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Also, I have the bass on the amp turned all the way up and it still sounds pretty tinny. Is there a sound system upgrade for this game because I’d love more bass. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

I ended up with a small external subwoofer. The thing I’m pretty sure about that is that you need to have a powered subwoofer. It made a huge difference in sound quality for me when I put this in. Rather than having to turn it on and off, I purchased one of those power strips that has a plug that will only activate when power is being drawn to turn on your machine. That way the powered subwoofer is only on when the machine is on. I’m sure there are more elegant solutions, but that’s what I ended up doing. It’s on Amazon and is the Smart Strip ECG-7MVR Energy Saving Surge Protector with Autoswitching Technology, 7 Outlet

#10378 3 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

OK, this game definitely needs help in the bass department! Looking at this Polk external powered sub...is this the one most Pinsiders are using?
amazon.com link »
To confirm, I just plug the Pinnovators subwoofer cable into the aux 3.5mm jack in the Houdini amp in the backbox and other end into the sub, correct?
https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/products/subwoofer-cable-kit-12-foot

thats the one.
Plug it into the sub outs on the amp in the backbox.
adjust volume there too.

#10379 3 years ago

Been off this thread for a while. Houdini owner since March 2019. Is there a good summary of menu adjustments for this game that people have settled on? Mostly interest in making the game feel tighter in terms of video and audio transitions but happy to adjust anything.

#10380 3 years ago

I posted above but here are all the references to the photos in one place. I added the photos to show the EOS switch installation and adding Cliffy protectors (and purple lower superbands). Hopefully helpful.

Shaker added:

Knocker:

API Grand Decal:

EOS Switches added:
http://purcellvillepinball.com/Houdini.html#EOS

Cliffy Protectors (and lower purple super bands) added:
http://purcellvillepinball.com/Houdini.html#Cliffy

#10381 3 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

rosh I’m not getting anything just plugging into DR5.[quoted image]

You need 48VDC to the Add On Board. That's the open 3 pin connector on the lower right side of the board.

That connector should come with the knocker kit.

#10382 3 years ago

hey houdini owner. how are you liking this game? i was debating to get it. more likely to get JP or met. but the price is right on this game.

#10383 3 years ago

Hi there,
I sold my Houdini and the buyer just recieved it.
He has an issue with the mini display in the playfield (always working fine the time I owned it)
It lights up but it doesn’t display what it is supposed to be, it alternates grey or white screen
The buyer said he checked the connector.
Is it linked to the backbox?
Any thought?

#10384 3 years ago

Reseat connectors to it, and to where they go, probably the backbox.

#10385 3 years ago

I have had Houdini for almost a week now, just a brilliant machine. I love how challenging this game is. Tired of the cookie cutter games out there. Big American Pinball fan! The price for a NIB is ridiculous, same as a cheaply built Stern pro. If anyone is lurking and on the fence, get one!Might have to check pout Octoberfest now.

#10386 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

hey houdini owner. how are you liking this game? i was debating to get it. more likely to get JP or met. but the price is right on this game.

JP and Met are great games, if you get the fully loaded versions, so is Houdini. I decided to sell my TZ a while back and I picked Houdini to replace it. Never happier with a game. Great player. Outstanding modes. Excellent customer service. So far this is in the keeper column for me as the game is fun to play, beautiful, built like a tank and reasonably challenging. I also had enough money left over to add a knocker [came with art blades, invisglass, and shaker - highly recommended] and money to re-skin, add a speaker upgrade, nos translite and a Pinsound board for my Tommy.

#10387 3 years ago

I have had Houdini for almost a week now, just a brilliant machine. I love how challenging this game is. Tired of the cookie cutter games out there. Big American Pinball fan! The price for a NIB is ridiculous, same as a cheaply built Stern pro. If anyone is lurking and on the fence, get one!Might have to check pout Octoberfest now.

i know you only had it a week...but..a better buy than Metallica?

#10388 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

hey houdini owner. how are you liking this game?

IMO, this pin is worth every penny NIB an incredible deal on the secondary market. This is especially true for use in the home market. It is very deep, has a high construction quality, and the theme is very approachable (and fun - magician/daredevil/occult/showman). It also represents Houdini's life pretty well I think. I wasn't a big Houdini fan before I got the pin but am more so now, which I think says a lot about how this theme was put together and how the modes tell the story. Catapult, pop bumper chains, theater are all cool. Essentially one hard ramp shot (that is a very make-able shot) gave it an unfair rep. in the beginning I think.

#10389 3 years ago

Just got a beautiful new Houdini. I had traded my first one away but always regretted it. Back in the collection!

Is it true there will be another code update? What kind of stuff is left to do?

#10390 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

I would get houdini based on cost/benefit. You can always sell it and get one of the other ones later. Houdini is packed with features. Maybe not one I'd keep forever but a good game to have at home for a while.

#10391 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

I really liked Metallica but didn't keep it that long, but it was also earlier code. Metallica is built better then the newer Sterns, I would buy it again but I think Houdini is special. Just my opinion.

#10392 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

Im not sure people realize how the NIB price has fallen on Houdini. You can get one for $1500 cheaper then what they used to be. Its like buying a Stern LE for way less$$.

#10393 3 years ago

Im not sure people realize how the NIB price has fallen on Houdini. You can get one for $1500 cheaper then what they used to be. Its like buying a Stern LE for way less$$.

Definitely a premium bargain. I just worry it's too hard and frustrating. A lot of folks have dumped it

#10394 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

Definitely a premium bargain. I just worry it's too hard and frustrating. A lot of folks have dumped it

Yep, its not for everyone. I like the challenge.

#10395 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

I am not a great player, but since it is in my home, there is not a shot I can't make. Some people complain about the feeder for the catapult being too tight, but I hit it pretty consistently since I put so many games of this pin. True for the milk can shot too. All very doable once you get into the game, just not so easy that the game gets boring. Some games are plenty fun on location and very rewarding, but once home - zzzzzzz.... Not Houdini - it's always a great play in my opinion.

#10396 3 years ago

PM sent.

I'll get you fixed up.

#10397 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Thanks. I think these instructions are on the website but I only read far enough to see there was a kit so I didn't know that was all. I guess I could just buy one.

Is there a good place to buy a small amount of rubbers online without a substantial shipping fee? I don't think AP ever sent my kit out and I want to get this fixed.

#10398 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Is there a good place to buy a small amount of rubbers online without a substantial shipping fee? I don't think AP ever sent my kit out and I want to get this fixed.

Send a PM to brenna98 ( poster right above your post ) he's their new service guy and should be able to help you.

#10399 3 years ago

I went to play Houdini tonight, turned the thing on and got the following error "Connection to P3-roc or other system board has failed". and it won't boot up. I checked the connections at the P3 ROC in the cabinet, including the USB and it appears to have a good connection. There's a lot of boards in this thing and I'm not sure where else to start looking or try. Any ideas? Thank you.

thumbnail (resized).jpegthumbnail (resized).jpeg
#10400 3 years ago
Quoted from jdemarti:

I checked the connections at the P3 ROC in the cabinet, including the USB and it appears to have a good connection.

I would reseat them. Then do what the screen says, check if you have power at the board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 208 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/208?hl=barryj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.