20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 207 of 297.
#10301 4 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

Love this game and my game has 130 plays, is it normal? Never owned Nib over the 20yrs lol, 1st picture is it what to expect on Nib games?

I too Had been collecting for well over 20 years and Houdini was my first NIB game. I too was concerned about similar dimpling, but everyone said it was normal and that it would not impact play and that it would eventually cover the playfield.
Well, it’s been well over 1.5 years and as far as I can tell, they were correct. My playfield has a very subtle pounded look to it that I only notice before I turn on the game. Once the game is on, I no longer notice it. It absolutely does not effect play.
That’s my experience.

#10303 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I too Had been collecting for well over 20 years and Houdini was my first NIB game. I too was concerned about similar dimpling, but everyone said it was normal and that it would not impact play and that it would eventually cover the playfield.
Well, it’s been well over 1.5 years and as far as I can tell, they were correct. My playfield has a very subtle pounded look to it that I only notice before I turn on the game. Once the game is on, I no longer notice it. It absolutely does not effect play.
That’s my experience.

Thanks buddy I appreciate the advice. I know this subject has been pounded to death (No pun intended lol) But I was just concerned about the one I could feel with my finger. I guess I’ll keep getting my butt kicked by Houdini but playing it more and more I get to learn the shots like most people say people don’t give this game the credit it deserves.

#10304 4 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

What do you think about the gouges?

They will go away pretty fast in less than 500 plays.

#10305 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

You can go straight to beta, however, you will need to modify the file name since you are on very old code. After downloading the file remove the version info from the file name, so the file is just named . . .
houdini-gamecode.pkg
Then just follow the standard instructions on how to update code. This is the only time you will need to change the file name.

Thank you!!

#10306 4 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

Thanks buddy I appreciate the advice. I know this subject has been pounded to death (No pun intended lol) But I was just concerned about the one I could feel with my finger. I guess I’ll keep getting my butt kicked by Houdini but playing it more and more I get to learn the shots like most people say people don’t give this game the credit it deserves.

It wont affect game play... It will smooth out over time. Nothing you can really do about it anyway

#10307 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Thank you!!

AHHHH, I missed this part about changing the file name. I tried recently to update to the BETA and the game would not boot, so I re-installed the last published code and the game played . I will try it again- thanks for the info.

#10308 4 years ago

On the suoer awesome pinball show episode 8, Josh said there is a cheat to reach Master Magician Mode. He said those who have thr beta code have a clue to what it is. Any of you testers stumble on this yet?

#10309 4 years ago

Since I installed the beta code I have reached it once and have been 1 letter away tons of times. Not sure why I have progressed better after beta code, but it's been purely luck I think.

#10310 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

On the suoer awesome pinball show episode 8, Josh said there is a cheat to reach Master Magician Mode. He said those who have thr beta code have a clue to what it is. Any of you testers stumble on this yet?

No idea. Maybe he changed the Morse code on the start button to give us a hint?

#10311 4 years ago

Rosh,
2 questions on our Houdini:
To update to the Beta code do I need to remove this "_19.12.23B" from the full file name I downloaded?

houdini-gamecode_19.12.23B.pkg

I have 5 Pins on a dedicated 20A Circuit & usually the Trunk Shot is 100% but I'll go through bouts of it either being continuously thrown short (100% hitting the face of the Trunk) OR being continuously thrown long (100% hitting the lid of the Trunk) and then back to 100% landing in the Trunk.

Curious if the supplemental power supply will help resolve this issue (current PS is only the Big Coil type Transformer)?
Thanks !

#10312 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

To update to the Beta code do I need to remove this "_19.12.23B" from the full file name I downloaded?

If you have older code - this.

On games with the much older code you have to trick the update. What you do is rename the file you downloaded by removing thev19.4.7 at the end.

Change the name of the new code file to be houdini-gamecode.pkg remove any version info from the name. In the future it will not be necessary to do this.

LTG : )

#10313 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

Rosh,
2 questions on our Houdini:
I have 5 Pins on a dedicated 20A Circuit & usually the Trunk Shot is 100% but I'll go through bouts of it either being continuously thrown short (100% hitting the face of the Trunk) OR being continuously thrown long (100% hitting the lid of the Trunk) and then back to 100% landing in the Trunk.
Curious if the supplemental power supply will help resolve this issue (current PS is only the Big Coil type Transformer)?
Thanks !

Only need to change the name if the game is currently on very old code, and this needs to be done one time, after this update you can leave the file as named for future updates.

If the wall voltage tends to vary up and down, then yes, the switching power supply add-on will typically resolve that variation.

#10314 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Only need to change the name if the game is currently on very old code, and this needs to be done one time, after this update you can leave the file as named for future updates.
If the wall voltage tends to vary up and down, then yes, the switching power supply add-on will typically resolve that variation.

Currently running V18_12_12 so sounds like I'm good-to-go Code wise.

#10315 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

I up-voted you twice because you finally got a Houdini Kim!

#10316 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

Thanks !

I think you will benefit from it. I give a steady 48 volts

#10317 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

I would update to the newer code off the website.

#10318 4 years ago

What's the strategy for hitting the milk can loop? So far I've been using dumb luck.

#10319 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I up-voted you twice because you finally got a Houdini Kim!

We've had our HOUDINI since TPF 2018.

Here's a pic of our lonely PS ;-})

What does the supplemental PS cost as I'm sure I'm out of the warranty period ?

I'll be updating to the Beta Code later today - Thanks Rosh !!
IMG_20200420_103721 (resized).jpgIMG_20200420_103721 (resized).jpg

#10320 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

We've had our HOUDINI since TPF 2018.
Here's a pic of our lonely PS ;-})
What does the supplemental PS cost as I'm sure I'm out of the warranty period ?
I'll be updating to the Beta Code later today - Thanks Rosh !!
[quoted image]

Yes, get the extra power supply from the API store. Should be $150.
Glad your doing good Kim, we haven't spoke since the double topper connector's you made for me on my TOTAN.

#10321 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

What does the supplemental PS cost

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Yes, get the extra power supply from the API store. Should be $150.

https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-power-supply-upgrade

#10322 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

What's the strategy for hitting the milk can loop? So far I've been using dumb luck.

Lower the flipper bats angle by 1/8" so that they droop slightly.
Much easier the hit the milk can and doesnt impact gameplay.

#10323 4 years ago

Loaded the new Beta code. Quick and easy. 20 games in, like most everyone else that has reported back, no major issue to report.

Unfortunately, my personal experience is that the new code apparently hasn’t conquered how to make a terrible player any better.

#10324 4 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

Loaded the new Beta code. Quick and easy. 20 games in, like most everyone else that has reported back, no major issue to report.
Unfortunately, my personal experience is that the new code apparently hasn’t conquered how to make a terrible player any better.

LOL. Make sure you've lowered the flippers a touch, as was suggested above. makes a humongous difference, just moving them like 1mm lower

#10325 4 years ago

Would someone near there pin be able to tell me which one this cable plugs into?

20200424_223230 (resized).jpg20200424_223230 (resized).jpg
#10326 4 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Would someone near there pin be able to tell me which one this cable plugs into?[quoted image]

If you are sure there is just one cable not connected than it would have to be the one labeled “in”

#10328 3 years ago

I ordered the power supply upgrade, shaker motor, knocker, EOS switches and a few spare coils. Thanks to Shalin Shah working with me to place the order and get it shipped during all of this. At first I saw the 9 screws on the front of the power supply but did not see the information provided above the screws. I followed the directions to ensure I placed the wires in the correct place. It is late, so I will work on connecting the provided 6 pin molex connector, attaching ground, and moving the black and brown wires to the appropriate wall nut tomorrow.

Once I have the new power supply, then I will work on the other items. I already like the game (I made it easier so I can enjoy it more) so hopefully this will just make the game that much better.
IMG_5287 (resized).jpegIMG_5287 (resized).jpegIMG_5289 (resized).jpegIMG_5289 (resized).jpegIMG_5290 (resized).jpegIMG_5290 (resized).jpegIMG_5291 (resized).jpegIMG_5291 (resized).jpeg

#10329 3 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I ordered the power supply upgrade, shaker motor, knocker, EOS switches and a few spare coils. Thanks to Shalin Shah working with me to place the order and get it shipped during all of this. At first I saw the 9 screws on the front of the power supply but did not see the information provided above the screws. I followed the directions to ensure I placed the wires in the correct place. It is late, so I will work on connecting the provided 6 pin molex connector, attaching ground, and moving the black and brown wires to the appropriate wall nut tomorrow.
Once I have the new power supply, then I will work on the other items. I already like the game (I made it easier so I can enjoy it more) so hopefully this will just make the game that much better.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Do yourself a favor and use something other than those wallnuts to connect the new PS, they are crap. I soldered and heat-shrunk mine but you could use a terminal strip, regular wire nuts (tape them up if you do) or some of the other methods people have posted in this thread.

#10330 3 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How long did it take you to get your order? When did you order?

#10331 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

How long did it take you to get your order? When did you order?

I ordered on April 8 and got the order yesterday April 27.

#10332 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Do yourself a favor and use something other than those wallnuts to connect the new PS, they are crap. I soldered and heat-shrunk mine but you could use a terminal strip, regular wire nuts (tape them up if you do) or some of the other methods people have posted in this thread.

Yes, Quickly figured they were hard to use. I ended up using these. I found them on Facebook and they work nicely.

You can find them on makegoodies.com

IMG_5312 (resized).jpegIMG_5312 (resized).jpegIMG_5313 (resized).jpegIMG_5313 (resized).jpegIMG_5314 (resized).jpegIMG_5314 (resized).jpeg

#10333 3 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I ordered on April 8 and got the order yesterday April 27.

Hmm. I requested the skill shot kit on April 6th, didn't get an acknowledgement until the 20th, and still haven't heard any word about it shipping.

#10334 3 years ago

I received and installed my knocker kit from API today. Very nice integration with some of the modes like bullet catch and it also knocks when extra balls are awarded. I definitely recommend this upgrade along with the shaker. Houdini rules...one of the best pins ever!

#10335 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Hmm. I requested the skill shot kit on April 6th, didn't get an acknowledgement until the 20th, and still haven't heard any word about it shipping.

Unless API has changed the kit since I got it, it's really just some instructions and a 3/16" black rubber. Sorry for the bad pics but that's the best I can do for now but hopefully it'll be legible. Essentially you remove the 7/16 ring that is around the 2 posts by the guide, bend the guide to touch the first post and put the 3/16 ring on the remaining post. If you don't have a 3/16" rubber ring, shoot me a PM and I'll send you one for free.

Houdini_skill_shot_1 (resized).jpgHoudini_skill_shot_1 (resized).jpgHoudini_skill_shot_2 (resized).jpgHoudini_skill_shot_2 (resized).jpg
#10336 3 years ago

What is the recommended degree pitch for Houdini? Thought I read somewhere too keep all legs at lowest position but not sure.

#10337 3 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

What is the recommended degree pitch for Houdini? Thought I read somewhere too keep all legs at lowest position but not sure.

Few ways to say it. Leg levelers screwed all the way in, is the starting point.

#10338 3 years ago

copy that. Thanks

#10339 3 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

Lower your flippers, as was mentioned above. START from the legs screwed all the way in, get the game level (mine is in my basement where the floor slopes slightly), then screw the back legs out a few turns so it's raised up a 1/4" - 1/2" more

#10340 3 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Unless API has changed the kit since I got it, it's really just some instructions and a 3/16" black rubber. Sorry for the bad pics but that's the best I can do for now but hopefully it'll be legible. Essentially you remove the 7/16 ring that is around the 2 posts by the guide, bend the guide to touch the first post and put the 3/16 ring on the remaining post. If you don't have a 3/16" rubber ring, shoot me a PM and I'll send you one for free.[quoted image][quoted image]

Must have missed this before. I just did the fix and it works better now. I can make all three targets now.

I had to use a round file on the bracket holes so I could fasten it back down in the new location against the post.

#10341 3 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Unless API has changed the kit since I got it, it's really just some instructions and a 3/16" black rubber. Sorry for the bad pics but that's the best I can do for now but hopefully it'll be legible. Essentially you remove the 7/16 ring that is around the 2 posts by the guide, bend the guide to touch the first post and put the 3/16 ring on the remaining post. If you don't have a 3/16" rubber ring, shoot me a PM and I'll send you one for free.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks. I think these instructions are on the website but I only read far enough to see there was a kit so I didn't know that was all. I guess I could just buy one.

I'm still trying to get my game dialed in. One problem I keep running into is the ball gets stuck on the lip of the stage door when it's open sometimes, and when it goes into ball search mode, the door just closes on it making it stuck. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an easy way to fix it?

#10342 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Thanks. I think these instructions are on the website but I only read far enough to see there was a kit so I didn't know that was all. I guess I could just buy one.
I'm still trying to get my game dialed in. One problem I keep running into is the ball gets stuck on the lip of the stage door when it's open sometimes, and when it goes into ball search mode, the door just closes on it making it stuck. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an easy way to fix it?

Increase your playfield angle

#10343 3 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Make the back legs a tiny bit taller

#10344 3 years ago

Does anyone know or can anyone provide dimensions for the Backbox of Houdini. I am planning to make a Virtual Pinball and really like the look of this cabinet.
It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mario

#10345 3 years ago

I’m installing the Knocker kit with the updated power supply from the factory. Since none of the photos match on the install kit where should the 48 V brown/black wires plugged into?

1CF8C19C-3F8A-443F-928A-99982068A39B (resized).jpeg1CF8C19C-3F8A-443F-928A-99982068A39B (resized).jpegDE4C045D-BDD0-496D-BED3-A833FC2D9065 (resized).jpegDE4C045D-BDD0-496D-BED3-A833FC2D9065 (resized).jpeg
#10346 3 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

Since none of the photos match on the install kit where should the 48 V brown/black wires plugged into?

Does 6B on the PDF help ? http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2019-9/Knocker-Installation.pdf

#10347 3 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

I’m installing the Knocker kit with the updated power supply from the factory. Since none of the photos match on the install kit where should the 48 V brown/black wires plugged into?[quoted image][quoted image]

Having the same issue.

#10348 3 years ago

Thanks Lloyd But I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to open the unit and break the manufacture seal LOL. I figured I want to wait To get the OK from American Pinball before voiding my warranty?! LOL

#10349 3 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

Thanks Lloyd But I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to open the unit and break the manufacture seal LOL. I figured I want to wait To get the OK from American Pinball before voiding my warranty?!

Ask rosh or Ferret They'd know. I don't do tech stuff for them, so I can't tell you to do something that would void your warranty.

#10350 3 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

Having the same issue.

Can you not just complete the install skipping the steps for the optional add-on power supply?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 207 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/207?hl=unlockpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.