20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 204 of 297.
#10151 4 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

We've got a few people in this thread now talking about the ball tracking issues with beta code. I was solid for many months and had tracking issues within 1 game of beta, I think it's fair to say the code still has some bugs that need to be resolved. It's one of my favorite pins and I really hope it can be sorted out eventually.

Fortunately one can always go back to the earlier code if there are problems.

Also I think that if people report in if they have problems, It makes for a larger beta test group.

So, run the code and lets see how it goes!

Im optimistic that API can actually produce a game with finished code, although its been slow going.

This will go a long ways towards customer satisfaction or confidence in the future.

Please keep the updates coming!

#10152 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

And see if rosh wants the error logs.

LTG : )

#10153 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

And see if rosh wants the error logs.

Yes!

#10154 4 years ago

I keep seeing posts about the upgraded power supply. Can someone give me a summary of what the situation is there? I just got my game nib. Would my game have it or no?

#10155 4 years ago

I upgraded to the beta code.. no issues so far. I played six or seven games noticed a some new light shows.... It installed without incident. There is no reason not to, can always go back.

#10156 4 years ago

Fortunately one can always go back to the earlier code if there are problems.
Also I think that if people report in if they have problems, It makes for a larger beta test group.
Im optimistic that API can actually produce a game with finished code, although its been slow going.
This will go a long ways towards customer satisfaction or confidence in the future.
Please keep the updates coming!

I am sure there are many owners who feel the same way.
Lets hope the company steps up to the plate on this and supports Josh fixing their flagship game.

#10157 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I keep seeing posts about the upgraded power supply. Can someone give me a summary of what the situation is there? I just got my game nib. Would my game have it or no?

Probably not - you can lift the playfield and check if there is an additional power box in the back of the game. There's a photo a few pages back. The main power supply is at the rear of the game; the upgrade (another silver rectangular box) will be installed to the left or right of it

#10158 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Probably not - you can lift the playfield and check if there is an additional power box in the back of the game. There's a photo a few pages back. The main power supply is at the rear of the game; the upgrade (another silver rectangular box) will be installed to the left or right of it

I picked up my NIB Houdini the 1st week of March. I have the new power supply. Here's a picture....

DSC_4862 (resized).JPGDSC_4862 (resized).JPG
#10159 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I picked up my NIB Houdini the 1st week of March. I have the new power supply. Here's a picture....[quoted image]

Mine doesn't look like that. Just one big box in the middle. Will you have problems without the upgrade?

#10160 4 years ago

Here is a picture of the power supply in my machine. Not sure what version it is.

thumbnail (resized).jpegthumbnail (resized).jpeg
#10161 4 years ago

Do you have the upgraded power supply?
You might have loosly fitted wires in the wall-nuts?
Resets might be power related.

I’ve never had that reset issue before. It happened when I ejected two balls rather quickly and has been the only reset I’ve ever had. So I’m taking it rather loosely. Yes I’ve got the upgraded power supply and I’m still having trouble with my catapult unfortunately

#10162 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I picked up my NIB Houdini the 1st week of March. I have the new power supply. Here's a picture....[quoted image]

That's the same as in mine, and mine was an add on that I did with a PS unit purchased from API.

#10163 4 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

I’ve never had that reset issue before. It happened when I ejected two balls rather quickly and has been the only reset I’ve ever had. So I’m taking it rather loosely. Yes I’ve got the upgraded power supply and I’m still having trouble with my catapult unfortunately

Did you straighten the catapult in its slot?

That is the first step.

#10164 4 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

Here is a picture of the power supply in my machine. Not sure what version it is.[quoted image]

That's what mine looks like.

#10165 4 years ago

Did you straighten the catapult in its slot?
That is the first step.

I’ve figured out the ball is clipping the wire form ramp on release at higher power. It’s only ever so slightly but that what’s causing the issue

#10166 4 years ago

I’ve figured out the ball is clipping the wire form ramp on release at higher power. It’s only ever so slightly but that what’s causing the issue

Its so weird how it works but can be adjusted to work near 100%.

Lower power pulls the ball to the left and higher power pulls to the right mostly.

Getting the catapult super straight in its slot gives you a clean starting point.

Then adjust as necessary as far as sideways angle and power levels.

#10167 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Mine doesn't look like that. Just one big box in the middle. Will you have problems without the upgrade?

Not necessarily. It seems to depend a lot on the consistency of your home’s power to the game. I’ve had my pin for a couple years and never felt like I needed the new ps.

If no one chimes in then search the thread and you’ll see the issues others have had that required the fix. Then you’ll know what to watch for.

#10168 4 years ago

It happened when I ejected two balls rather quickly and has been the only reset I’ve ever had.

send me logs so I can see the reset. [email protected]

Quoted from unlockpinball:

Here is a picture of the power supply in my machine. Not sure what version it is.[quoted image]

the power supplies with the single large metal enclosure is the newest power supply.

#10169 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

send me logs so I can see the reset. [email protected]

the power supplies with the single large metal enclosure is the newest power supply.

I was told that my Houdini has the latest power supply. Was I lied to?

DSC_4862 (resized).JPGDSC_4862 (resized).JPG
#10170 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I was told that my Houdini has the latest power supply. Was I lied to?

No. The one on the right was added making it good.

#10171 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I was told that my Houdini has the latest power supply. Was I lied to?[quoted image]

You have the original power supply with the extra add-on improvement. Same as other original owners who subsequently paid for this upgrade. Some owners have decided to just stick with the original power supply only and forgo adding the supplementary unit.

#10172 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

You have the original power supply with the extra add-on improvement. Same as other original owners who subsequently paid for this upgrade. Some owners have decided to just stick with the original power supply only and forgo adding the supplementary unit.

So the one on the left is the original and the one on the right is the upgrade? What about the ones that are one big long box as seen above? They don't look like either of these.

#10173 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

So the one on the left is the original and the one on the right is the upgrade? What about the ones that are one big long box as seen above? They don't look like either of these.

Those are the ones Josh was referring to. The newest shipped power supply one is a single component.

#10174 4 years ago

Its so weird how it works but can be adjusted to work near 100%.
Lower power pulls the ball to the left and higher power pulls to the right mostly.
Getting the catapult super straight in its slot gives you a clean starting point.
Then adjust as necessary as far as sideways angle and power levels.

I think it’s more the violent nature of throwing the ball at speed. I noticed that whenever I increased the strength of the throw that yes that ball is getting thrown right. The ball only gets thrown right because it’s hitting the wire form and hence why the ball gets thrown further and further right with increased speed. It’s only a slight hit but that hit is enough to send it careering off to the right.

I only noticed this because I was readjusting for the 50th time and just decided to touch everything as the ball laubched. I felt nothing on the right ramp. I did however feel something on the woreform. It was only a slight tickle but something nonetheless. And that’s why moving the bracket one way or the other ever so slightly misses the wire form. I was thinking about using the dremel on the wireform to take off a mm or two but moving the catapult bracket was better. So hopefully my catapult journey is over!!

#10176 4 years ago

Good deal. Absolutely perfect cup for this game. Looks great. It's one of the few add-ons I bought and everyone who visits notices it. $50 + shipping new, so this is nice offering. GLWS

#10177 4 years ago

If you set the calendar on your Houdini, then yiu will get a special message today on screen during the attract mode when you hit a flipper button.

#10178 4 years ago

About a year ago I bought my first pin, well used. Houdini is one of 3 I'm considering making my first new machine, so I've been lurking this thread for some time and have a few questions.

Does the machine require constant adjustment and readjustment to play properly? Some of the comments have me concerned I'll be working on it more than playing.

I've noticed many for sale after only being owned a short time; care to speculate? Seems like a red flag.

About how many have been made?

Given your experience, would you buy it again? The theme blows me away and for pinball is very compelling.

Look, I'm not looking for any guarantees, here. I understand pinball requires some maintenance and technical knowhow. Just trying to make an informed purchase by going to the best resource.
Thx in advance.

#10179 4 years ago
Quoted from Looney:

About a year ago I bought my first pin, well used. Houdini is one of 3 I'm considering making my first new machine, so I've been lurking this thread for some time and have a few questions.
Does the machine require constant adjustment and readjustment to play properly? Some of the comments have me concerned I'll be working on it more than playing.
I've noticed many for sale after only being owned a short time; care to speculate? Seems like a red flag.
Given your experience, would you buy it again? The theme blows me away and for pinball is very compelling.
Look, I'm not looking for any guarantees, here. I understand pinball requires some maintenance and technical knowhow. Just trying to make an informed purchase by going to the best resource.
Thx in advance.

Takes less to maintain than the 2 DW's in your collection.

As with all pinball machines, once setup properly, they go thousands of plays with little or no interaction.

#10180 4 years ago
Quoted from Looney:

Does the machine require constant adjustment and readjustment to play properly?

Reading this thread all along. I'd say once any issues are attended to, you'll get great service out of the game. The reason for seeming like it needs constant attention is because a few of the issues might have different ways to resolve them. Depends on the particular problem and what you need to do. If you have it. Some have been adjsutments, some have been weaker or stronger power settings. Etc. Etc.

Quoted from Looney:

I've noticed many for sale after only being owned a short time;

Houdini has been out for about 3 1/2 years. A lot of people want the new shiny pin. And there have been a lot of new titles in that time frame. So I don't think it's any different than any other new title.

#10181 4 years ago
Quoted from Looney:

Does the machine require constant adjustment and readjustment to play properly? Some of the comments have me concerned I'll be working on it more than playing.I've noticed many for sale after only being owned a short time; care to speculate? Seems like a red flag.
About how many have been made? Given your experience, would you buy it again?

Took it out of the box, followed instructions and all worked. This is a hidden gem of a game. It has many rules with a lot of shots. The shots are challenging but keeps you wanting another game. Takes a few games in order to tune your skill. Game is above anything Stern is turning out. Great build quality. Would be nice to see production numbers but none of the pinball manufacturers publish.

#10182 4 years ago
Quoted from Looney:

Thx in advance.

I have #92 for a while now. I put in the knocker and the shaker. I have the added power supply.

I had to adjust the 2 catapults and the VUK a few times. Now it is dialed in. The trunk catapult NEVER misses! The upper catapult occasionally misses.
It seems to work better on a weaker setting for me. The VUK may struggle to get the ball out during multiball. But it does come out eventually.

My first NIB. Love it.

#10183 4 years ago

Takes less to maintain than the 2 DW's in your collection.

I understood from the get go that a 28 yr old machine would need significant coaxing. And its been quite rewarding fixing it up. I would expect a new machine to require significantly less attention, am I wrong? I must have botched my profile there is only 1 DW, lol.

#10184 4 years ago
Quoted from Looney:

I would expect a new machine to require significantly less attention,

It should.

After it leaves the factory. It does get bounced around a lot in trucks.

So I'd expect a little tweaking on any new pin when you get it. And as you play it and it gets broken in so to speak. A little more tweaking. Once it's set up the way you like it. It should give you reliable service. Back in the Williams DMD era. I always spent a few days adjusting and tweaking things on any new pin coming in. Then they'd settle in and behave.

As you know on your other pin. A ball is rolling around in there. Eventually you'll have to clean it. Eventually you may need to fix or adjust something.

#10185 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Reading this thread all along. I'd say once any issues are attended to, you'll get great service out of the game. The reason for seeming like it needs constant attention is because a few of the issues might have different ways to resolve them. Depends on the particular problem and what you need to do. If you have it. Some have been adjsutments, some have been weaker or stronger power settings. Etc. Etc.

Houdini has been out for about 3 1/2 years. A lot of people want the new shiny pin. And there have been a lot of new titles in that time frame. So I don't think it's any different than any other new title.

Thanks. That is good perspective. I've also noticed that the tech support is pretty responsive.

#10186 4 years ago
Quoted from Looney:

I understood from the get go that a 28 yr old machine would need significant coaxing. And its been quite rewarding fixing it up. I would expect a new machine to require significantly less attention, am I wrong? I must have botched my profile there is only 1 DW, lol.

There’s a few things you’ll probably have to adjust (unless they’ve done so at factory) like the catapult, the c and e switches moved slightly and one of the switches in the ball hold lane needs a little adjusting. Other than that it’s been pretty good and I’m going out the back now to see how my latest catapult adjustment has taken. Just remember if the balls going right it’s hitting the wire form ramp.

It’s a tight shooter and the shots are different I think that’s why people don’t like it. I was only going to sell mine out of pure frustration at the catapult.

#10187 4 years ago
Quoted from Looney:

I've also noticed that the tech support is pretty responsive.

Barry isn't with them anymore. He has responded to a few posts.

And rosh pointed out they have a committee handling their tech support. So you should be in good shape there.

#10188 4 years ago

It’s a tight shooter and the shots are different I think that’s why people don’t like it.

That is why I always thought it would be a great home game. Like TZ. Get so close and then kicked in the nuts. Definitely not boring once you get it rolling.

#10189 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That is why I always thought it would be a great home game. Like TZ. Get so close and then kicked in the nuts. Definitely not boring once you get it rolling.

Houdini is an incredible home game.

Its just beautiful and the game play is challenging yet rewarding.

Perfect for the home environment.

#10190 4 years ago
Quoted from Looney:

It has been the ONLY machine I’ve not had to tinker extensively with. My catapult worked perfect out of the box, even before the power upgrade. Game is awesome. My second NIB (first was DI) but I’ve also had IMDN, POTC, WOZ (technically second owner). Just bought Elvira 3. All required some tinkering. Houdini is killer

#10191 4 years ago
Quoted from Looney:

New machines still take setup, and sometimes adjustments are learned about later on once they’ve started shipping. Just one of those things - these aren’t video games!

#10192 4 years ago

I just got this game and I can definitely see why people play it a few times and give up. But if you stick with it you get a feel for it and it's really fun. It's a bargain right now. Definitely a game for the home. Great for being shut in.

#10193 4 years ago

I don’t know if you can see it but at the corner of the flat piece of metal on the wireform the corner has been beaten up where the ball has been hitting it consistently to form that slight ridge. I’m going to cut away at that slightly as the first few games today ball was deflecting

C5B4D604-7E14-4EB8-954A-32926880F77E (resized).jpegC5B4D604-7E14-4EB8-954A-32926880F77E (resized).jpegC6064EC1-615D-4B8C-B15F-8D8380BFB9B3 (resized).jpegC6064EC1-615D-4B8C-B15F-8D8380BFB9B3 (resized).jpeg
#10194 4 years ago

I have 14 pins. I usually pick one or two in an evening and play for an hour or so. Now that I am working from home, I try to turn on one pinball machine and play it throughout the day to take breaks if time allows.

A few days ago, I turned on Houdini about 8am. I played a few games and the catapult hit the trunk every time (like it always does when I play). I didn't get a chance to play all day and when I finally finished my last meeting at 6pm (my company does not know when to end meetings), I played it again. Every shot to the trunk missed.

I have been holding off on buying the new power supply. But maybe this is a reason to do so. I really like the game but just didn't want to put more money into it just now. When things calm down if I can buy the power supply and at the same time buy the shaker motor, knocker, and EOS switches, I am hoping I can use the $150 credit to get it all in one shipment.

Here is a skit from SNL called "Don't die on the Toilet." At about 1:30 the scene reminds me of calibrating the catapult on my Houdini.

#10195 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

If you set the calendar on your Houdini, then yiu will get a special message today on screen during the attract mode when you hit a flipper button.

I just saw it today. Learn something new everyday with this game. Another reason to enjoy playing it.

#10196 4 years ago
Quoted from Looney:

Got mine right after they first came out. I've had very little trouble. I've had to bend both catapult switches up just a hair... I think that type of adjustment is to be expected in any game. I purchased the upgraded power supply just to have it if I ever sell it... but I really have only seen a flipper issue once or twice.

Quoted from Looney:

I think Houdini is a masterpiece. But not everyone does. My son doesn't like it. If you're looking for a fast, flow game then maybe Houdini is not for you. If you want a deep game with a lot to explore and multiple ways to attack the game then perhaps Houdini is for you. Even though Houdini is not a ramp-to-flipper, ramp-to-flipper type game I find it to be one of the most intense games (the film mode "Man From Beyond" is incredible).

Quoted from Looney:

Yes. I also love the theme and it is an absolutely gorgeous game. Houdini gives you a lot for the money.

#10197 4 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I have 14 pins. I usually pick one or two in an evening and play for an hour or so. Now that I am working from home, I try to turn on one pinball machine and play it throughout the day to take breaks if time allows.
A few days ago, I turned on Houdini about 8am. I played a few games and the catapult hit the trunk every time (like it always does when I play). I didn't get a chance to play all day and when I finally finished my last meeting at 6pm (my company does not know when to end meetings), I played it again. Every shot to the trunk missed.
I have been holding off on buying the new power supply. But maybe this is a reason to do so. I really like the game but just didn't want to put more money into it just now. When things calm down if I can buy the power supply and at the same time buy the shaker motor, knocker, and EOS switches, I am hoping I can use the $150 credit to get it all in one shipment.
Here is a skit from SNL called "Don't die on the Toilet." At about 1:30 the scene reminds me of calibrating the catapult on my Houdini.

The add-on power supply was so good i took my game off my variac for good.

In my opinion from what you described it may be exactly what you need.

#10198 4 years ago

Played it at an arcade and wasn't a huge fan. Get it in a house where you don't spend $1 per game and can hear the sounds and music and your opinion of the game ill change. The music is phenomenal as are the call outs. The game is difficult, very difficult but once you start hitting the shots the game wakes up. The theme integration is second to none and I would call this game American pinball's WOZ. The trunks shot is mostly hit and not much miss. There was a bulletin to take apart the assembly, wipe it down (basically the axle and all of the corresponding parts) and reassemble. It took care of the problem for me. No game plays 100% all of the time (see twilight zone ball lock, GB slimer or any other machine). It is a great machine with plenty to do and easy to understand after a few games. I would recommend it.

#10199 4 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

Played it at an arcade and wasn't a huge fan. Get it in a house where you don't spend $1 per game and can hear the sounds and music and your opinion of the game ill change. The music is phenomenal as are the call outs. The game is difficult, very difficult but once you start hitting the shots the game wakes up. The theme integration is second to none and I would call this game American pinball's WOZ. The trunks shot is mostly hit and not much miss. There was a bulletin to take apart the assembly, wipe it down (basically the axle and all of the corresponding parts) and reassemble. It took care of the problem for me. No game plays 100% all of the time (see twilight zone ball lock, GB slimer or any other machine). It is a great machine with plenty to do and easy to understand after a few games. I would recommend it.

In my experience, the trunk is WAY more reliable than the GB slimer.

#10200 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

In my experience, the trunk is WAY more reliable than the GB slimer.

Gotta agree with this!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 204 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/204?hl=unlockpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.