20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 201 of 297.
#10001 4 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

My right flipper stopped the other day. The return spring had broken.

I had a flipper spring break too. Got a replacement from my distributor ASAP (plus a few spares). It's nice to get a softball fix now and again.

#10002 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

I had a flipper spring break too. Got a replacement from my distributor ASAP (plus a few spares). It's nice to get a softball fix now and again.

All my spares were too weak. I took one coil off the broken spring and bent it to attach to the bracket.

#10003 4 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

It has the upgraded power supply, yes. I’m almost positive this started happening after updating the code. Both flippers are wonky (half flips, weak/dead)

And which code ?

Man it’s been almost a year since the last official

#10004 4 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

Anyone experiencing a random dead flipper, coupled with inconsistent flipper power?

I've only had my Houdini for a few days but I've noticed that too.

#10005 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

And which code ?
Man it’s been almost a year since the last official

The latest one on APs site. This was a NIB game, so it had original code

#10006 4 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

The latest one on APs site. This was a NIB game, so it had original code

Ok that's bizarre. I've not had this issue. Josh may be able to point you to a previous version, or the new beta code

#10007 4 years ago

I’d suggest making sure all connectors on the PSU are not loose and screwed in tight. Think I had a slight issue with the flippers when installing the knocker which connects direct to the PSU it resolved this.

#10008 4 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

It has the upgraded power supply, yes. I’m almost positive this started happening after updating the code. Both flippers are wonky (half flips, weak/dead)

Check your flipper switches, make sure they are clean (you can use a coarse business card to clean them) and that they are gapped correctly. You want to be sure they close well before the button is all the way in.

Check the connections on the power supply to be sure they are properly inserted and tight.

#10009 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Check your flipper switches, make sure they are clean (you can use a coarse business card to clean them) and that they are gapped correctly. You want to be sure they close well before the button is all the way in.
Check the connections on the power supply to be sure they are properly inserted and tight.

No offense but you're telling him to make certain the switches are clean on a NIB game? The flippers are and has always been an issue on Houdini. When i owned mine I was originally advised it was due to the flipper switches, machine less then a year old, then it was the power supply so I upgraded and no change. Then it was due to the EOS so I upgraded. I was then advised it was due to the power supply needing adjusted and when asked as to how I know how much to adjust I was advised "not certain as I'm not familiar enough with the newer upgraded power supply". Lastly, I was advised it was "a known issue and it would be corrected in the next software update". So now I see it's back to the switches being clean and gapped properly?

The flipper issue isn't a huge ordeal, just annoying that it happens. There has to be a simple solution to the issue and to stop then from giving out.

I think Houdini is a nice machine. Yes some of the shots are tight but for a first machine by a new start company it's a great start.

#10010 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

No offense but you're telling him to make certain the switches are clean on a NIB game?

I'd start there. If nothing else to start eliminating things.

During manufacturing things can get on connectors, leaf blade switches, from when the individual parts were manufactured. Dirt, grease, etc. etc. And work fine and as time goes by pop up. Reseating and cleaning is always a good start.

LTG : )

#10011 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

No offense but you're telling him to make certain the switches are clean on a NIB game?

I do take some offense, regardless, that is exactly what I am telling him. Even a NIB game, especially one that has been sitting for some time in a warehouse, can have residue or dirt on the leaf switches that can interfere with the electrical connection, same is true if a leaf switch is not quite gapped or aligned correctly. In my years of owning machines there have been multiple occasions where I have experienced odd flipper behavior that was corrected by cleaning the switch blades (or even optos), often on a game that as not seen much play. I'm not saying that is definitely the issue, but it makes far more sense to start with the easy stuff that can often be the cause vs jumping to more complex things to investigate. If that does not take are of it, we will move to the next step.

#10012 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

This does Happen all the time. Factories are not exactly ultra-clean environments, and they do get installed by hand.

In their defense also- AP has been very clear the EOS switches don’t really have any measurable effect on the flippers, and are not officially supported

#10013 4 years ago

I think when Rosh releases the new code it will take this pin to the next level!

#10014 4 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

I think when Rosh releases the new code it will take this pin to the next level!

The beta was actually quite good, allowed you to skip a lot of animations and generally plays and resets faster

#10015 4 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

not sure I'd say 'next level', but I think the new code will bring a new level of polish to the game that will be appreciated by owners.

#10016 4 years ago

Can anyone tell me if my Houdini has the upgraded power supply?

DSC_4862 (resized).JPGDSC_4862 (resized).JPG
#10017 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Can anyone tell me if my Houdini has the upgraded power supply?[quoted image]

Looks like it..!

#10018 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Yes. that silver box on the right.

#10019 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I do take some offense, regardless, that is exactly what I am telling him. Even a NIB game, especially one that has been sitting for some time in a warehouse, can have residue or dirt on the leaf switches that can interfere with the electrical connection, same is true if a leaf switch is not quite gapped or aligned correctly. In my years of owning machines there have been multiple occasions where I have experienced odd flipper behavior that was corrected by cleaning the switch blades (or even optos), often on a game that as not seen much play. I'm not saying that is definitely the issue, but it makes far more sense to start with the easy stuff that can often be the cause vs jumping to more complex things to investigate. If that does not take are of it, we will move to the next step.

Apologies as I try not to come off negative or like I am attacking someone. As an owner of this game I went through everything to fix the flipper issue, numerous emails and some calls (sidenote: AP was great in responding and trying to help), to no avail. Let me ask this .... once an owner cleans and confirms the leafs are clean and gapped properly, gets the power supply upgrade, adds the EOS and ensures that the latest code is updated whats next when the flipper issue still is apparent?

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

In their defense also- AP has been very clear the EOS switches don’t really have any measurable effect on the flippers, and are not officially supported

Again, not trying to be negative here. Just wanted to know if a fix ever came to fruition for this. As for the EOS, I was advised differently. I was told "the EOS could resolve this issue". Now I will say "could" doesn't mean it will but for the price of the EOS I gave it a whirl and it didn't.

At no point did I think AP was just trying to get me to purchase stuff. I just didn't think anyone really knew what causes/caused the issue. As you're aware, as you've posted numerous times on this topic, this is an issue.

Again, Josh apologies if you take offense but this issue has not been resolved and cleaning and gapping the leaf is not the issue. Hopefully for this owner it is but for other it's a ongoing issue. I'll leave it at that.

#10020 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Barry apologies if you take offense

That was Josh.

Quoted from meSz:

for other it's a ongoing issue.

I hope AP comes up with a fix for these.

#10021 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Apologies as I try not to come off negative or like I am attacking someone. As an owner of this game I went through everything to fix the flipper issue, numerous emails and some calls (sidenote: AP was great in responding and trying to help), to no avail. Let me ask this .... once an owner cleans and confirms the leafs are clean and gapped properly, gets the power supply upgrade, adds the EOS and ensures that the latest code is updated whats next when the flipper issue still is apparent?

Again, not trying to be negative here. Just wanted to know if a fix ever came to fruition for this. As for the EOS, I was advised differently. I was told "the EOS could resolve this issue". Now I will say "could" doesn't mean it will but for the price of the EOS I gave it a whirl and it didn't.
At no point did I think AP was just trying to get me to purchase stuff. I just didn't think anyone really knew what causes/caused the issue. As you're aware, as you've posted numerous times on this topic, this is an issue.
Again, Barry apologies if you take offense but this issue has not been resolved and cleaning and gapping the leaf is not the issue. Hopefully for this owner it is but for other it's a ongoing issue. I'll leave it at that.

Flippers can collapse during high energy stacked modes.

EOS switches at least may make the flipper come back up without pressing the flipper button again.

This is maybe being worked on in Josh's spare time.

Other issues involve a few tweaks here and there.

Nothing terrible.

Other than that and maybe some polish, i would be happy.

#10022 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That was Josh.

I hope AP comes up with a fix for these.

Thanks Lloyd, I edited my mistake.

I hope as well as Houdini is a nice game. Just frustrating when you're in the midst of a game and the flipper fails (most of the time during multi-ball when you're hitting a lot of things at once. Almost as if the game can't handle all the power....even with the upgraded power supply).

#10023 4 years ago

I doubt this has anything to do with the flipper dropping but the power supply connectors are really, really crappy. Those weird things with 3 holes that you shove the wires into.

#10024 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I doubt this has anything to do with the flipper dropping but the power supply connectors are really, really crappy. Those weird things with 3 holes that you shove the wires into.

The Wahl nuts. Maybe there’s not a great connection being made? I’m sure AP was trying to make the install simple. I know some owners have soldered the wires together - I’d be curious if they have these types of issues.

Just played a kick ass game! Houdini still holding up 2 years in!

#10025 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

It seems to be related to the lighting system per josh.

Hopefully itll be solved before i sell off my game...

#10026 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

It seems to be related to the lighting system per josh.
Hopefully itll be solved before i sell off my game...

That has got to be frustrating as hell for him. Josh, a case of tequila on me, wishing you luck tackling this flipper demon

#10027 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The Wahl nuts. Maybe there’s not a great connection being made? I’m sure AP was trying to make the install simple. I know some owners have soldered the wires together - I’d be curious if they have these types of issues.
Just played a kick ass game! Houdini still holding up 2 years in!

I soldered my wires together and skipped the crappy Wal nuts. I've only noticed a few cases where the flippers act up and then only under stacked, crazy multiballs with a lot of stuff going on.

#10028 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Thanks Lloyd, I edited my mistake.
I hope as well as Houdini is a nice game. Just frustrating when you're in the midst of a game and the flipper fails (most of the time during multi-ball when you're hitting a lot of things at once. Almost as if the game can't handle all the power....even with the upgraded power supply).

I understand your point and echo it completely, I am possibly the biggest Houdini fan on this site because it brings so many great moments to life. But it absolutely has issues with the flippers during stacked MBs, particularly if you have SEANCE going. Both catapults on my game are essentially 100% too unless you are in said MBs, then they often miss but that's not as bad as the flipper issue IMO. There is still a significant ball-tracking issue that leads to weird single ball multiballs or multiballs ending before they should. The game is SO GOOD otherwise that I defend and love it but it could / should be that much better. Sadly I doubt I'll see this fixed, regardless the game is most likely staying put for the time being.

P.S. The power supply upgrade helped slightly, the EOS kit did nothing discernible in my experience.

#10029 4 years ago

I've had my Houdini for just over a week. I'm already considering selling it because of the flippers.

Something is definitely wrong here....

It's a shame...other than the flipper issues, it seems like a great pin. I have my doubts that I'll buy another AP machine because of this.

#10030 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I understand your point and echo it completely, I am possibly the biggest Houdini fan on this site because it brings so many great moments to life. But it absolutely has issues with the flippers during stacked MBs, particularly if you have SEANCE going. Both catapults on my game are essentially 100% too unless you are in said MBs, then they often miss but that's not as bad as the flipper issue IMO. There is still a significant ball-tracking issue that leads to weird single ball multiballs or multiballs ending before they should. The game is SO GOOD otherwise that I defend and love it but it could / should be that much better. Sadly I doubt I'll see this fixed, regardless the game is most likely staying put for the time being.
P.S. The power supply upgrade helped slightly, the EOS kit did nothing discernible in my experience.

Are you testing the new beta? The weird random extra balls have almost disappeared with my game. I am not sure if it’s a real thing or not, but I swear that the flipper issue has greatly improved with the beta. I might just be convincing myself that that is really a thing with the update, but I’m gonna go with it.
Rosh says he did nothing that should have impacted the boot time, but I’m pretty sure that’s like half the time. Before this update, I’d turn on Houdini and then go fire up Flash Gordon, play a few balls, the Houdini would finally be good to go.
All probably just manifestations of some deep rooted psychosis, but I’m happier with a game I already thought was great.

#10031 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

So how do you get the upgraded power supply? Is it provided by API or a purchase item from them?

#10032 4 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

So how do you get the upgraded power supply? Is it provided by API or a purchase item from them?

This is purchased from API.
https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-power-supply-upgrade

#10034 4 years ago

Thinking of joining the club. How is the play field holding up in comparison to the newer Sterns? Any major dimpling/cratering or chipping problems? Looking for a challenging hard pin, this looks to fit. Overall build quality?

#10035 4 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

Thinking of joining the club. How is the play field holding up in comparison to the newer Sterns? Any major dimpling/cratering or chipping problems? Looking for a challenging hard pin, this looks to fit. Overall build quality?

Mine is in great shape for a game with 2500+ plays on it. I just recently stripped it to the bare playfield for a thorough cleaning, waxing and shopping and was really impressed with the quality. You can see in the picture that there's some dimpling but honestly, I never notice it when the glass is on. I've seen some recent Stern games that look like the surface of the moon.

Houdini after waxing (resized).jpgHoudini after waxing (resized).jpg
#10036 4 years ago

Wow! Impressive, I just played an Elvira that had craters all over it. Really a shame as I wanted that pin, but it was bad!

#10037 4 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

I have both Houdini and Elvira - Houdini I have had since mid-2017, and Elvira (NIB) since last Saturday. Houdini has far fewer dimples than Elvira. I am not kidding in the slightest. I must have 500+ games on Houdini, and maybe 50 on Elvira. BTW Elvira is really awesome, save for the playfield...

#10038 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Again, Josh apologies if you take offense but this issue has not been resolved and cleaning and gapping the leaf is not the issue. Hopefully for this owner it is but for other it's a ongoing issue. I'll leave it at that.

Let me preface this by saying, I do not have EOS switches on my game, nor do I have the upgraded power supply, but I do have the shaker and knocker. So, that is how I play the machine. I will say I have very good power in my home, I have two games per 15amp circuit, my catapult rarely ever misses. I think I have had to adjust the power it on it once.

EOS does one thing, if the flipper is knocked down it will re-fire the flipper, they do not impact the strength of the flipper. However, if you are at the end of a flip as you hit the ball, and the ball pushes down the flipper a bit, you might get a second 'pulse' while the ball is still on the flipper that will give it some extra power.

When the game is in a five or six ball multiball, with seance, given how loaded the game is, it can certainly be pushed to the limit, and I have certainly seen the game momentarily struggle and get a weak flip, and there are a few changes in the code being tested now release to try to minimize that.

#10039 4 years ago

So even if it costs you a ball, it's while you have stacked multiballs, so you have another ball anyway?

SoundsLikePinballToMePunkin

#10040 4 years ago

Josh,

I think thats it. I have never had a problem with my houdini and I have the old power supply. HOWEVER... I have line conditioners on all my machines to endure the voltage is a steady 120volts at all times.. I would be curious if there are low voltage conditions in the homes were this is occuring.

Harry

#10041 4 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Josh,
I think thats it. I have never had a problem with my houdini and I have the old power supply. HOWEVER... I have line conditioners on all my machines to endure the voltage is a steady 120volts at all times.. I would be curious if there are low voltage conditions in the homes were this is occuring.
Harry

As I mentioned some time ago, I have a solar PV system and the voltage in my house can vary as much as 8-10 volts from a sunny afternoon to evening. The aux power supply seemed to even things out.

And I have no complaints with my flippers or catapult. Still love the game.

#10042 4 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Josh,
Harry

The original power supply, like older games with transformers, is susceptible to line voltage. Which made the catapult accuracy a challenge when wall power varies. Slight variation of voltage typically is not going to be noticeable with pops, slings and even flippers, but with the catapult a change in just a few volts is quite obvious. The newer power supply helps insure a more constant voltage for better catapult accuracy regardless of line voltage variations. Since I have consistent line voltage at home, I have excellent catapult accuracy without the newer power supply.

#10043 4 years ago

I would Like to Test the new Beta Code on our League night on 27.03.2020 - Hope it's possible that some Share the Code with me or may be Josh get the Code ready till then, but with his little time i think it wont bei ready. But hoping the best

Mayve someone can Help me Out and give me the chance to Test the code.

Love this Game

#10044 4 years ago

I enjoy my Houdini.
It is a beautiful game and well built!

That said I will NEVER buy another AP game until the power problem is corrected.

I very much appreciate what Rosh is doing to help.
AP needs to get behind this and Rosh to fix the game.
I have dumped unneeded money and lots time installing the AP recommended power supply and EOS switchs.

Hope AP steps up to the plate on this.
Maybe Jim Platla or the president of the company Mr Vasani can help with resources.

#10045 4 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

I enjoy my Houdini.
It is a beautiful game and well built!
That said I will NEVER buy another AP game until the power problem is corrected.
I very much appreciate what Rosh is doing to help.
AP needs to get behind this and Rosh to fix the game.
I have dumped unneeded money and lots time installing the AP recommended power supply and EOS switchs.
Hope AP steps up to the plate on this.
Maybe Jim Platla or the president of the company Mr Vasani can help with resources.

You're in luck. Oktoberfest does not have any reports of the flipper power situation

#10046 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I've had my Houdini for just over a week. I'm already considering selling it because of the flippers.
Something is definitely wrong here....
It's a shame...other than the flipper issues, it seems like a great pin. I have my doubts that I'll buy another AP machine because of this.

Never really seen or heard it discussed....
Flipper issues, endless EOS reccomend...
I have no EOS, I do have upgraded power supply.
I did a small trick about 6 months ago, really really helped, kind of stole the idea from LTG.
I think the flipper springs are standard stock and are to long. I snipped off about 5 rotations and made a new loop. Flippers have been amazing since.
Make your flipper springs shorter.

#10047 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Never really seen or heard it discussed....
Flipper issues, endless EOS reccomend...
I have no EOS, I do have upgraded power supply.
I did a small trick about 6 months ago, really really helped, kind of stole the idea from LTG.
I think the flipper springs are standard stock and are to long. I snipped off about 5 rotations and made a new loop. Flippers have been amazing since.
Make your flipper springs shorter.

Hmm. Did you happen to take any photos of this process?

#10048 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Did you happen to take any photos of this process?

Sounds like my broken spring fix. Only remove 5 loops.

broke (resized).JPGbroke (resized).JPGfix (resized).JPGfix (resized).JPGgoodasnew (resized).JPGgoodasnew (resized).JPG
#10049 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Hmm. Did you happen to take any photos of this process?

Quoted from LTG:

Sounds like my broken spring fix. Only remove 5 loops.
LTG : )[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Exactly!!+ No , I dont have pictures.
But, the amount of spring removed is about 1/4 inch. Thanks to LTG for long ago Intel for the idea. I just had a light bulb moment.

#10050 4 years ago

Saw this on the JJP moves to IL. page.

"All I know is Barry from AP has went with JJP now, and if JJP can keep adding great people like him, the sky will be the limit for JJP."

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 201 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/201?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.