20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 198 of 297.
#9851 4 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Full release of New code soon ?

The beta has a couple of things that need to be addressed but it’s definitely a Big step forward baby!

#9852 4 years ago

Can't wait

#9853 4 years ago

I know it is from Left field but I simply can't say enough how much I love this game...it is a keeper in my collection...thanks API! Now for an O'Fest...

#9854 4 years ago

Like my Houdini. Sure would like to see a Sherlock Holmes next...

#9855 4 years ago

My game stopped registering ramp shots, which I have a hard enough time making as it is. The test shows the ramp entrance opto working, and it makes the buzzing sound. But it doesnt register in the game as a made shot. I sent a note to Barry.

#9856 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

My game stopped registering ramp shots, which I have a hard enough time making as it is. The test shows the ramp entrance opto working, and it makes the buzzing sound. But it doesnt register in the game as a made shot. I sent a note to Barry.

Fortunately the ramp currently is just a decoration mostly.

The impossible to make ramp shot is the only thing i dislike about the game.

Ive struggled with a fix for it but tbe only thing i come up with is a redesign.

I wish API would release an easier to hit ramp that bends to the right 1/2" and is slightly wider at the bottom. Or faces the flipper more.

For a main feature, it ends up being useless. Really too bad, it could have been epic.

Ive only hit it 50 times in the life of the game.

We all would benefit from a change.

Maybe freeplay40 or someone can come up with something.

It would open up the game dramatically.

#9857 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Ive struggled with a fix for it but tbe only thing i come up with is a redesign.
I wish API would release an easier to hit ramp that bends to the right 1/2" and is slightly wider at the bottom. Or faces the flipper more.
For a main feature, it ends up being useless. Really too bad, it could have been epic.
We all would but it.

It's crazy how a 1/4" width increase might help shot makeability. If that's a word.

Has any game introduced a new part post manufacturing?

I'd buy a new modified ramp for $75.

#9858 4 years ago

We all would but it.

In general, I agree with the ramp comments, but 50 lifetime?! I know for certain I hit it at least 10 times per game. It needs to be precise sure - probably more precise than a ramp should be ... but it’s not THAT hard. I concede it’s a bit too hard to be “fun” but it does feel great when you nail it

#9859 4 years ago

I can hit any awesome shot, every time, while I am actually aiming for something else.

For me better lucky than good, and getting older and eyes not the best.

I like Hou and Okt so much that I am on the sidelines to see what their 3rd pin is.

AP's customer service is top notch also. And their build quality is 2nd to none.

#9860 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

In general, I agree with the ramp comments, but 50 lifetime?! I know for certain I hit it at least 10 times per game. It needs to be precise sure - probably more precise than a ramp should be ... but it’s not THAT hard. I concede it’s a bit too hard to be “fun” but it does feel great when you nail it

Random for me. Some days I loop it over and over. Other days - half up and back down. Been working on it and taking my time with the shot and seeing a bit of improvement. Easiest looking shot on the board, hardest to make! I’m really happy I’m not the only one. Was feeling lame.

#9861 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Random for me. Some days I loop it over and over. Other days - half up and back down. Been working on it and taking my time with the shot and seeing a bit of improvement. Easiest looking shot on the board, hardest to make! I’m really happy I’m not the only one. Was feeling lame.

It's a "harder than you think" shot but certainly not that bad, I can almost always back-hand it at least half-way (good enough on the Escape mode hurry-up) and often can complete it backhanded as well. The one time I'm almost certain to miss it is when the ball has just gone through the Milkcan loop. That combo is very difficult for me, as it's supposed to be I guess. It's so difficult that I think the associated multiplier should last much longer than it does.

#9862 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

It's a "harder than you think" shot but certainly not that bad, I can almost always back-hand it at least half-way (good enough on the Escape mode hurry-up) and often can complete it backhanded as well. The one time I'm almost certain to miss it is when the ball has just gone through the Milkcan loop. That combo is very difficult for me, as it's supposed to be I guess. It's so difficult that I think the associated multiplier should last much longer than it does.

I can also better hit the ramp when the ball is moving quickly - I think the milk can loop slows the ball down a bit too much and it’s hard to be that precise. It does make the secret agent stuff way too hard.

#9863 4 years ago

We all would but it.

Wow I have to disagree. Maybe all your tweaking has changed the game geometry? It's a satifying shot for me and I like that it's not a gimme ramp like most modern games. Houdini has some of the longest ball times in my collection but I still keep it around because it's not easy.

#9864 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Wow I have to disagree. Maybe all your tweaking has changed the game geometry? It's a satifying shot for me and I like that it's not a gimme ramp like most modern games. Houdini has some of the longest ball times in my collection but I still keep it around because it's not easy.

Its not a geometry thing.
Its a concept thing.

A lot of modes depend on the ramp. You should be able to make the ramp from either flipper in order for it to be fun. Its not.

Its a main attraction that lets you down due to its difficulty.

I can make the ramp easily with flipper power way up to max, but then you get 90% stage rejects.

So. In essence, the ramp isnt as fun as it should be.

So im thinking a redesign of the ramp or stage mech.

The rest if the game seems fine to me.

#9865 4 years ago

Its a concept thing.
A lot of modes depend on the ramp. You should be able to make the ramp from either flipper in order for it to be fun. Its not.
I can make the ramp easily with flipper power way up to max, but then you get 90% stage rejects.
So im thinking a redesign.

Its possible that solving the stage rejects would allow higher flipper power and solve many other issues.

Im still looking at that.

Stage rejects are very low with low powered flippers.

The ramp shot requires higher flipper power.

The 2 concepts are not in alignment.

#9866 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I can also better hit the ramp when the ball is moving quickly - I think the milk can loop slows the ball down a bit too much and it’s hard to be that precise. It does make the secret agent stuff way too hard.

I've noticed the same thing. I'm not complaining that it's impossible, it's just challenging - which is not necessarily a bad thing. The backhand thing - not my experience. Ultimately, still my current favorite pin in my bunch. Can't wait until the Texas show to see the unveiling. Hot Wheels? Sherlock Holmes? My Little Pony? Can't wait to see.

#9867 4 years ago

Its possible that solving the stage rejects would allow higher flipper power and solve many other issues.
Im still looking at that.
Stage rejects are very low with low powered flippers.
The ramp shot requires higher flipper power.
The 2 concepts are not in alignment.

The stage rejects are a similar problem to the IJ mode start rejects.

On IJ you need high power to make the steep ramps.

However then the mode start is so close, you get continuous rejects.

It was solved with redesigning the mode start ball capture.

I think Houdini is in a similar predicament.

#9868 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Check the left Inlane switch, that is required to be credited for the ramp (except in Jail escape if on 'easy', which is the default)

I find with the ramp either I am making it all day or can't find it all, just sort of depends on the day.

I recommend focusing on mastering the stage shot via the right flipper through Stage Alley. While a challenging shot, it does give you 2X on the stage mode, and it is one of the shots that "feels good" when you make it. That is always my first choice in starting a stage mode. I rarely go for the straight to the stage unless I'm just not finding Stage Alley on a given day or if I have the playfield multiplier up and I'm trying to start the mode as quickly as possible. Sometimes if Seance is lit I'll be a little quicker to give up on stage and alley and go straight for the stage since a missed stage alley shot can come back down, hit the sling and finds it ways into the seance scoop and you lose the stack.

Houdini is like a few other games I have owned in that it takes at least a couple of games to get warmed up and to find the shots. Very rare that I step up and just crush it on the first game. Has that happened, sure, but more often then not I get my ass kicked the first few games, especially if coming up off of some super easy, wide open shot, flow game.

#9869 4 years ago

On IJ you need high power to make the steep ramps.
However then the mode start is so close, you get continuous rejects.
It was solved with redesigning the mode start ball capture.
I think Houdini is in a similar predicament.

Dont get me wrong!

Houdini is an amazing accomplishment.

I do beleive that with code updates and a few adjustments, the game can be made into something much, much more.

I felt the same about my TH.

The game was flat and static.
I almost sold it.

But after a 2 year wait, a massive code update completely changed the game.

Now its a definite keeper.

#9870 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Check the left Inlane switch, that is required to be credited for the ramp (except in Jail escape if on 'easy', which is the default)
I find with the ramp either I am making it all day or can't find it all, just sort of depends on the day.
I recommend focusing on mastering the stage shot via the right flipper through Stage Alley. While a challenging shot, it does give you 2X on the stage mode, and it is one of the shots that "feels good" when you make it. That is always my first choice in starting a stage mode. I rarely go for the straight to the stage unless I'm just not finding Stage Alley on a given day or if I have the playfield multiplier up and I'm trying to start the mode as quickly as possible. Sometimes if Seance is lit I'll be a little quicker to give up on stage and alley and go straight for the stage since a missed stage alley shot can come back down, hit the sling and finds it ways into the seance scoop and you lose the stack.
Houdini is like a few other games I have owned in that it takes at least a couple of games to get warmed up and to find the shots. Very rare that I step up and just crush it on the first game. Has that happened, sure, but more often then not I get my ass kicked the first few games, especially if coming up off of some super easy, wide open shot, flow game.

Is there still a beta going on Josh?

#9871 4 years ago

Dont get me wrong!
Houdini is an amazing accomplishment.
I do beleive that with code updates and a few adjustments, the game can be made into something much, much more.
I felt the same about my TH.
The game was flat and static.
I almost sold it.
But after a 2 year wait, a massive code update completely changed the game.
Now its a definite keeper.

Same here. I keep thinking about Selling TH and then I play A game. Now it’s STTNG that may go just because I can’t decide on anything else

#9872 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Same here. I keep thinking about Selling TH and then I play A game. Now it’s STTNG that may go just because I can’t decide on anything else

I gotta move something.
R&M bse #317 coming real soon.

#9873 4 years ago

I gotta move something.
R&M bse #317 coming real soon.

What about if it turns out...eh?

317, you most likely have till end of Summer.

#9874 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

What about if it turns out...eh?
317, you most likely have till end of Summer.

I waited 8 months for my Houdini.

Probably the same for this.

Ill play it at TPF and some of the other offerings.

Itll be ok in its box untill i get some room for it lol

#9875 4 years ago

I don't have stage rejects either. I fixed my IJ so I understand the issue.

#9876 4 years ago

dupe

#9877 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I don't have stage rejects either. I fixed my IJ so I understand the issue.

I wonder if it’s a similar fix too? I removed the scoop thing on my IJ and added the Pinbits dead stop foam. Brilliant! Helps with the Houdini milk can loop as well, apparently. All I know is IJTPA got a hell of a lot more fun when I could actually start modes

#9878 4 years ago

My ramp shots were not being credited because the front of stage opto switch was mistakenly registering due to ramp vibration or being loose. Barry helped me tighten the opto so it stopped registering accidentally.
I hope it stays put. The shaker motor seems to be loosing thing up. I also had to realign the trunk catapult mech also.

#9879 4 years ago

Its a concept thing.
So im thinking a redesign of the ramp or stage mech.

Totally agree with your point on ramp being so important for modes, yet so tough to make consistently. That just frustrates.

#9880 4 years ago

I wonder if ‘drop dead foam’ can be put into the stage so that the rejects will go away?

#9881 4 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

I wonder if ‘drop dead foam’ can be put into the stage so that the rejects will go away?

Yep, pretty much what I was getting at. I think there were some folks who tried some adjustment to the stage but not sure if they used that foam

#9882 4 years ago

Hi guys, my ball toss is going two inches to the right of the chest and hitting the backboard. Was getting 80% correct before. Is there a way to adjust it?

#9883 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Hi guys, my ball toss is going two inches to the right of the chest and hitting the backboard. Was getting 80% correct before. Is there a way to adjust it?

You can try different coil settings, and/or adjust the catapult. I believe there are 2 screws under the playfield that you can slightly (slightly!!) turn it in the direction you need

#9884 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

My ramp shots were not being credited because the front of stage opto switch was mistakenly registering due to ramp vibration or being loose. Barry helped me tighten the opto so it stopped registering accidentally.
I hope it stays put. The shaker motor seems to be loosing thing up. I also had to realign the trunk catapult mech also.

How did you go about realigning your catapult mech?

#9885 4 years ago
Quoted from Nick36:

Elongate the holes in its metal mount.

Turn it as needed.

There are a lot of posts i made about adjusting this game.

Read my posts.

I have my game as perfect as it can be.

Still looking for suitable dead drop material for the stage so I can increase flipper power for the ramp.

3DO labs matetial looks pretty good but they never sent me a sample.

#9886 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

What is the coil power set at? I've noticed if I set the coil over default power, it seems to torque and twist the linkage or the plastic arm, and causes a toss more to the right.
If it goes straight at a low power, could be that type of issue.

#9887 4 years ago
Quoted from Nick36:

Brer Rabbit, pinballinreno has a good technique to slightly aim a little more left. After 200 games I have only missed twice and that was during multiball while the power supply was challenged

#9888 4 years ago

That post should be referenced in the list of key posts at the start of this thread.

#9889 4 years ago

Some thoughts on catapult adjustments:
Tiny adjustments yield big results.
The catapult mech, as well as everything on the game, is installed as always by non-pinball people. They are assembly line workers doing the best they can within their limited scope.
They install mechs without the ability to test and see them in action. Once installed it's difficult to reinstall for adjustment.
Adjustment always comes in the form of altering the mounting holes of the various mechs.
The catapult mech can be moved, rotated, shimmied or whatever you need for adjustment.
Glass off, start a game.
Take the ball in hand and drop it into the catapult.
It will fire.
Notice what it does and where the ball goes. Check that the catapult arm is not binding mechanically or rubbing on the wooden playfield.
Adjust the coil settings so that the ball appears to have enough trajectory to enter the trunk regardless of where it goes.
The catapult mech mounting holes can be elongated as needed to turn it and move it into alignment with the trunk.
The ball is generally thrown at a slight angle to the trunk, moving from front left to rear right if its properly set.
There is plenty of room in the wooden playfield cut-out for adjustment.
If your ball is going left, adjust the catapult to throw more to the right.
Elongate the mech mounting holes as needed. I use a dremel with a 1/8" carbide cutter. Its quick and easy. You can also side cut with a drill bit inserted through the hole, it takes a lot longer but yields similar results.
Power:
As of right now Houdini relies on unregulated power to manage the coils. Pretty much all pinball machines work this way from all manufacturers.
If your power is stable the game will be the same, day after day without deviation from its settings.
If your power from the wall is subject to change, your game will change in unpredictable ways and need adjustments all the time.
Such is my case.
Adding a variac to regulate and gain control of my wall power has been a great experience.
My games that have regulated power never change and never need further adjustments.
It's not just Houdini, many games benefit from power regulation.
So if unregulated power is throwing off your settings in a game, try adding the variac.
With all of this in mind you should be able to adjust your catapult to work perfectly.

Post 5940

#9890 4 years ago
Quoted from Nick36:

I used the technique of dremeling the bracket screw holes to allow a shift to the side. See pinballreno post above.

#9891 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It’s a race between POTC and Houdini!

And Alice Cooper! I'm pretty stoked three of my games have code drops in the near future.

#9892 4 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

And Alice Cooper! I'm pretty stoked three of my games have code drops in the near future.

near future?......

#9893 4 years ago

Dont Rush...get it right.. (Former QA Head)

#9894 4 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Dont Rush...get it right.. (Former QA Head)

2 years isn't rushing.

#9895 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It’s a race between POTC and Houdini!

Quoted from VALIS666:

I've been waiting on all 3 too. And ... anxious to see Oktoberfest update as well as it's on my shortlist.

#9896 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

2 years isn't rushing.

I meant in regards to the release of the latest code.. Better to ensure everything works than bricking machines.

#9897 4 years ago

Elongate the holes in its metal mount.
Turn it as needed.
There are a lot of posts i made about adjusting this game.
Read my posts.
I have my game as perfect as it can be.
Still looking for suitable dead drop material for the stage so I can increase flipper power for the ramp.
3DO labs matetial looks pretty good but they never sent me a sample.

Thank you for that information. I will get on that asap!

#9898 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I used the technique of dremeling the bracket screw holes to allow a shift to the side. See pinballreno post above.

Thank you

#9899 4 years ago

I have a question,if I have a ball locked in the inter right orbit lane and if that ball is released in regular play a ball will also be shot out of the shooter lane ,is this normal to have two balls in play?

#9900 4 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I have a question,if I have a ball locked in the inter right orbit lane and if that ball is released in regular play a ball will also be shot out of the shooter lane ,is this normal to have two balls in play?

Not unless you’re in a multiball - check your switches. I find the last switch that is attached to the ramp and counts the balls locked on the left side can sometimes not register properly. I had to adjust mine several times until I got it right. But it was just that one switch.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 198 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/198 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.