20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 197 of 297.
#9801 4 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

I think one of the things Rosh was looking to do was a firmware update on all the boards. Nothing stopping this machine on having a lightshow equivalent to TNA etc. It really could do with improvements in this area. The whole package needs to be a bit slicker. It has the makings of a top 20 pin with shots, theme And toys!

Yeah the update was to be EOY 2019

#9802 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Yeah the update was to be EOY 2019

I can't and won't speak for Rosh about a firmware update.....
But, several people are beta testing large update from him that came in a few weeks ago.
Personally, my lower catapult is doing better.

#9803 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I can't and won't speak for Rosh about a firmware update.....
But, several people are beta testing large update from him that came in a few weeks ago.

The beta update is REALLY nice. It speeds up gameplay and lets you
Immediately skip callouts/instructions/etc. There are some animations/screens that could use a bit of refinement (e.g. the Extra Ball Lit screen in particular is noticeably different in font and style from the rest of the game). I have not noticed that it is performing differently in the mech department, although
My catapult has always worked quite well.

#9804 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The beta update is REALLY nice. It speeds up gameplay and lets you
Immediately skip callouts/instructions/etc. There are some animations/screens that could use a bit of refinement (e.g. the Extra Ball Lit screen in particular is noticeably different in font and style from the rest of the game). I have not noticed that it is performing differently in the mech department, although
My catapult has always worked quite well.

So far the beta seems focused on improving game and animation flow, new and improved light shows, but only minimal rule changes. I had a game crash, but it was not due to the update, but rather me hitting a certain one-in-a-thousand combination of tasks within a one or two second window of time (through serendipity, believe me), which Josh promptly fixed and will be in the final release.

#9805 4 years ago

Anybody wanting stuff for their pin.

LTG : )

apsale (resized).jpgapsale (resized).jpg
#9806 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

So far the beta seems focused on improving game and animation flow, new and improved light shows, but only minimal rule changes. I had a game crash, but it was not due to the update, but rather me hitting a certain one-in-a-thousand combination of tasks within a one or two second window of time (through serendipity, believe me), which Josh promptly fixed and will be in the final release.

awesome!

#9807 4 years ago

I had a couple of the posts on one of my pop bumpers break. I have just received the replacements from API. I know others have done this repair. has anyone used a thread locker like Loctite when reassembling these? Are there any opinions as to the pros or cons to doing so?

#9808 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I had a couple of the posts on one of my pop bumpers break. I have just received the replacements from API. I know others have done this repair. has anyone used a thread locker like Loctite when reassembling these? Are there any opinions as to the pros or cons to doing so?

use blue or purple threadlocker.
blue holds a bit better.

i put blue on every single screw and bolt.

nylock nuts dont need it.

never use red.

#9809 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Glad to hear! Your wife/gf must be happier now too! Heyooooooooooooo!

#9810 4 years ago

While working on my machine yesterday I decided to reposition my flipper rubbers. I simply pulled them off and rotated 180 degrees and re installed. Man! what a difference that made. I can hit the milk can better and my control at the end of the flipper seems better for other shots as well. I have the clear silicon rubber that came with the game and am thinking that they were maybe a little glazed on the face from play. I am wondering if slightly abrading the surface might not be a bad idea? Others have commented on changing out to the older style grippy flipper rubber.

#9811 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

While working on my machine yesterday I decided to reposition my flipper rubbers. I simply pulled them off and rotated 180 degrees and re installed. Man! what a difference that made. I can hit the milk can better and my control at the end of the flipper seems better for other shots as well. I have the clear silicon rubber that came with the game and am thinking that they were maybe a little glazed on the face from play. I am wondering if slightly abrading the surface might not be a bad idea? Others have commented on changing out to the older style grippy flipper rubber.

Definitely rubber has proven a bit better for this (most?) games. Titan is also well regarded, although for now I’ve stuck with regular red or black rubber. Game plays awesome

#9812 4 years ago

Had a weird game today. After achieving and completing the ramp escape, I was not allowed any further escape modes even though I spelled escape and landed in the hat hole multiple times. Has this happened to anyone else?

#9813 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Definitely rubber has proven a bit better for this (most?) games. Titan is also well regarded, although for now I’ve stuck with regular red or black rubber. Game plays awesome

Um using purple titan flipper rubber.

Is seems fine, but i wipe them down pretty often with sparkle and rotate the bands so they last longer.

#9814 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Is seems fine, but i wipe them down pretty often with sparkle and rotate the bands so they last longer.

I wipe them down with naptha when they start looking dirty. If they start looking a bit beat up, I'll pull them and rotate to get to a new(er) area.

Looking forward to the new code coming out. Keep up the great work Josh.

#9815 4 years ago

One of my flipper bat toppers flew off during play. It's not broken though. It has a little bit of adhesive left but what is the smartest way to re-adhere the topper? Like a medium strength spray adhesive?

#9816 4 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

It has a little bit of adhesive left but what is the smartest way to re-adhere the topper?

What I found on WOZ's ruby slippers was a bead of super glue gel across the top of the flipper bat, didn't clean first. Pressed the slipper on. Hasn't come off yet in over 6 years of commercial use.

#9817 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Mine still has the original purple ones on it and they are in great shape, I also wipe them down pretty often or as needed, usually with alcohol. This has been discussed before but I think they are actually perfect plays from PBL based on the actual color, I use purple titans on MM and they are considerably different in color.

#9818 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Mine still has the original purple ones on it and they are in great shape, I also wipe them down pretty often or as needed, usually with alcohol. This has been discussed before but I think they are actually perfect plays from PBL based on the actual color, I use purple titans on MM and they are considerably different in color.

I think that mine are PBL also.
They are original and i bought perfect play as replacements.

They are indeed a perfect match.

#9819 4 years ago

Just had a trunk multiball in Master Magician Mode with a reboot
Hopefully the new code update will fix these errors with cool features soon

#9820 4 years ago

Why assume? pull the logs and send them to support. Its difficult to test every possible scenario.

Quoted from Nick36:

Just had a trunk multiball in Master Magician Mode with a reboot
Hopefully the new code update will fix these errors with cool features soon

#9821 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Why assume? pull the logs and send them to support. Its difficult to test every possible scenario.

Absolutely send the logs to Josh. I’m testing the new beta, and I had a reboot that had nothing to do with the new software. It was a rare combination of events occurring within a short window of time while I was having a Houdini letter added. An odd circumstance to be sure. However, in the new beta release that will never happen again because Josh was able to modify the programming to eliminate a reboot in that circumstance going forward. So send it in because there are always odd scenarios that no one can contemplate, but are easy fixes once discovered.

#9822 4 years ago

So I am working on a Houdini purchased used for a location. I am the tech at the location.

I am having a weird issue with the main display.

When you power up the game with the power switch the game will boot up and everything works except the main display, it will turn blue and then say no input and go black, mini display works and game will go into attract mode.

If I keep the machine on and power off the computer only with the button near the blue light and turn back on with this same button, the game will boot up with display working every time.

Has anyone seen this issue, or have any thoughts on why it is doing this?

#9823 4 years ago

Hi all, my Houdini went bang the night i got it (HUO 1 owner) and when my tech mate investigated he found that a varistor in the main fuse box had shorted to the cover and blown. He removed it and rejoined (and found the service bulletin the previous owner had put in there and ignored that said to remove it) and the game palyed that night. It won't power up now, keeps blowing the main 4amp fuse.

He disconnected the power supply from the machine and tested it with a multi and it checks out ok, however even with the power supply disconnected from the rest of the machine it still blows the main fuse (240V here in Australia).
Any ideas? Barry?

#9824 4 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

or have any thoughts on why it is doing this?

I would contact American Pinball tech support.

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/

I'd try reseating all cables at the display and board they go to.

#9825 4 years ago

Also my tech said he needed a circuit diagram of the power supply. He said it wasn't in the manual i downloaded, does anyone know where to find one?

#9826 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

does anyone know where to find one?

If it's an off the shelf item do a Google search for make and model number.

You could contact american-pinball.com to see if one is available.

#9827 4 years ago

Thanks mate, will do.

#9828 4 years ago

Joining this club a little late. I was always a big fan of this title when I first played it a few yrs ago. I understand the knocks on the game, but like any I couldn't get away from how rewarding it was when I had a good game.. that is what makes me want to own one.

Fast forward to last month when I went looking for a new title. One thing that doesn't get talked about too much is value in pinball. "What am I getting for the money?". AP sure feels premium in build quality, and man these game became pretty affordable, bang for the buck compared with a Munsters pro for example, no contest.. Happy guy here. The only thing I hate after buying a new machine is reading the 197 page owners thread to catch up, glad to be in the club..

#9829 4 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Joining this club a little late. I was always a big fan of this title when I first played it a few yrs ago. I understand the knocks on the game, but like any I couldn't get away from how rewarding it was when I had a good game.. that is what makes me want to own one.
Fast forward to last month when I went looking for a new title. One thing that doesn't get talked about too much is value in pinball. "What am I getting for the money?". AP sure feels premium in build quality, and man these game became pretty affordable, bang for the buck compared with a Munsters pro for example, no contest.. Happy guy here. The only thing I hate after buying a new machine is reading the 197 page owners thread to catch up, glad to be in the club..

You’re not wrong. Most of the haters never actually played a well setup machine (or ever played one at all!).

I do think AP screwed up a bit with the 6.0-not-6.5 playfield pitch (everyone assumes 6.5), and shipping with PerfectPlay silicon instead of Titans or just regular rubber on the flippers. Those 2 things alone drastically change the game. And lowering the flippers just a hair makes a tremendous difference.

Anyway, it’s a humongous great value. Glad I still have mine from the original run, and it’s not going anywhere!

#9830 4 years ago

Updating code on this title out of the box has been as challenging as any game I can remember.

I have downloaded the code at least six times, used three different USB sticks, reformatted every drive multiple times, not changed any file names. Tried three different computers. Followed rules to a letter...

The only variable is the sticks.. these are standard 2.0 16 and 32 gb USB drives. They work perfectly on all my other games.. two are a SanDisk the other is a pny maybe. Are these known brands to fail or not be compatible? Thx

#9831 4 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Updating code on this title out of the box has been as challenging as any game I can remember.
I have downloaded the code at least six times, used three different USB sticks, reformatted every drive multiple times, not changed any file names. Tried three different computers. Followed rules to a letter...
The only variable is the sticks.. these are standard 2.0 16 and 32 gb USB drives. They work perfectly on all my other games.. two are a SanDisk the other is a pny maybe. Are these known brands to fail or not be compatible? Thx

what version code is on the machine now?

#9832 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

what version code is on the machine now?

It's 18.5.4 iirc..

#9833 4 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

It's 18.5.4 iirc..

if earlier than 18.8.5, try changing the file name to houdini-gamecode.pkg

when it attempts the update, what do you see on screen, does it ever show 'updating', do you get a countdown or does it go straight to "Audits copied"

I know of no issues with those brands. What type of computer are you formatting this with? And you are formatting as Fat32, correct? I use a 16GB all the time.

Lets move this to email, so respond back to [email protected] we will get this figured out.

#9834 4 years ago

Anyone wanna do me a favor and tell me the width of the back box head at the top? I wanna pick one up but where my pins line up i only have about an inch wider than a stern head. Im hoping it will fit buy im not holding my breath

#9835 4 years ago

Im sorry. The depth. Not the width

#9836 4 years ago
Quoted from SpinnerAddict:

Im sorry. The depth. Not the width

I'm confused, how would depth of the head be a concern?

#9837 4 years ago

I have a slot in my ceiling that’s taller. So I put the back boxes there along the wall but it’s only 11 inches. Sterns for right up in with an inch to spare

#9838 4 years ago
Quoted from SpinnerAddict:

I have a slot in my ceiling that’s taller. So I put the back boxes there along the wall but it’s only 11 inches. Sterns for right up in with an inch to spare

Sorry, at its deepest point it is close to 12.5

1E728A4B-2886-4688-93E3-6B5FBF7DF9BD (resized).jpeg1E728A4B-2886-4688-93E3-6B5FBF7DF9BD (resized).jpeg

#9839 4 years ago

Well that does suck. Thanks for checking

#9840 4 years ago

I got my code updated, my code was so old it needed a file name change. Worked first time. I just opened my Houdini from the box on Thursday.

#9841 4 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

I got my code updated, my code was so old it needed a file name change. Worked first time. I just opened my Houdini from the box on Thursday.

Congrats... Its truly a great game. Enjoy.

#9842 4 years ago

Hello everyone. I have a fairly simple tech question. When playing the straight jacket escape mode with the flippers inverted, my left flipper lost the ability to move. Stated another way, it was stuck in the cradle position. I took the glass off, and manually adjusted it. It will go down manually, but once up will not fall.

I lifted the play field, and saw the spring hanging down. Can anyone let me know where the 2 end points for the spring go? I can’t find a Houdini diagram online. Also, does anyone think the issue is greater than reattaching the spring?

Thanks in advance.
Jeff

#9843 4 years ago
Quoted from Looking4FirstPin:

Hello everyone. I have a fairly simple tech question. When playing the straight jacket escape mode with the flippers inverted, my left flipper lost the ability to move. Stated another way, it was stuck in the cradle position. I took the glass off, and manually adjusted it. It will go down manually, but once up will not fall.
I lifted the play field, and saw the spring hanging down. Can anyone let me know where the 2 end points for the spring go? I can’t find a Houdini diagram online. Also, does anyone think the issue is greater than reattaching the spring?
Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Just clarifying - are you asking how to hook up the flipper spring?

#9844 4 years ago

Can anyone let me know where the 2 end points for the spring go?

Compare to other flipper. Hook it up the same way.

#9845 4 years ago

does anyone think the issue is greater than reattaching the spring?

No, hook it back on.

Pictures show where it goes circled in red, and how to fix if a loop is broken off.

bec75d06029c6b21c231a4adc61a5606985a93d1 (resized).jpgbec75d06029c6b21c231a4adc61a5606985a93d1 (resized).jpgbroke (resized).JPGbroke (resized).JPGfix (resized).JPGfix (resized).JPGgoodasnew (resized).JPGgoodasnew (resized).JPG
#9846 4 years ago

Thanks, LTG

Added over 4 years ago:

My game is playing very well now. The flippers feel stronger than ever.

#9847 4 years ago

Wondering when the new code will be released?
Glad they kept working on it!

#9848 4 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Wondering when the new code will be released?
Glad they kept working on it!

Me too! When will this Beta become the Alpha!?

#9849 4 years ago
Quoted from VonPinball:

Me too! When will this Beta become the Alpha!?

It’s a race between POTC and Houdini!

#9850 4 years ago

Full release of New code soon ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 197 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/197?hl=spinneraddict and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.