Topic Stats

• 9,852 posts
  • 568 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Kenz
  • Topic is favorited by 148 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,325 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

goodasnew (resized).JPG
fix (resized).JPG
broke (resized).JPG
bec75d06029c6b21c231a4adc61a5606985a93d1 (resized).jpg
1E728A4B-2886-4688-93E3-6B5FBF7DF9BD (resized).jpeg
apsale (resized).jpg
A0C0D08B-B9C8-4BE6-B179-8A99796F442A (resized).jpeg
3E251BAE-6FD3-4357-90A3-EB98E339A090 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
coilstop (resized).jpg
IMG-20191017-WA0070 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191121-135123 (resized).png
ap2 (resized).jpg
AP (resized).jpg
20191115_193550 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 9852 posts in this topic. You are on page 196 of 198.
#9751 46 days ago

I joined the club yesterday and set up my machine this morning. The game plays great, the code was updated and it is fully loaded. Thanks to Zach at Flip N Out for selling me 2 pinball machines this year. The finishes and touches that AP puts on their games is second to none.

3E251BAE-6FD3-4357-90A3-EB98E339A090 (resized).jpeg
#9752 46 days ago
Quoted from Looking4FirstPin:

I joined the club yesterday and set up my machine this morning. The game plays great, the code was updated and it is fully loaded. Thanks to Zach at Flip N Out for selling me 2 pinball machines this year. The finishes and touches that AP puts on their games is second to none.[quoted image]

Fully agree! This games has the unusual layout that players claim to want - but then complain about when faced with learning a new shot. It is SO different from all my other games, and takes a little time to learn which is awesome.

#9753 46 days ago

I joined the club yesterday and set up my machine this morning. The game plays great, the code was updated and it is fully loaded. Thanks to Zach at Flip N Out for selling me 2 pinball machines this year. The finishes and touches that AP puts on their games is second to none.[quoted image]

Welcome to the club. Great game. Wait until you get into Man From Beyond when stacked with Trunk multi-ball and Seance. Make sure the room lights are out! Awesome.
If you don’t have the knocker, get that. Really great- especilkay in the Bullet mode. Shaker is great too.
Have fun!

#9754 46 days ago

Question: why do we need a code update? It’s a pretty good game as is. The two things I’d ask for is starting the film modes before the ball is launched from the catapult so the film mode always starts and for timers to stop when the ball is held for on screen stuff.

#9755 46 days ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Question: why do we need a code update? It’s a pretty good game as is. The two things I’d ask for is starting the film modes before the ball is launched from the catapult so the film mode always starts and for timers to stop when the ball is held for on screen stuff.

Well, for one, it would be nice if they fixed the bug created this year that resets the machine when you try to clear the audits when you collect on route. Hard to take AP's committment to operators seriously if they let a bug like that stick around for almost a year.

#9756 46 days ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

The game is fully playable -
But there are several obnoxious “placeholder art” frames in a couple modes, the Master magician mode needs some tweaking, and the game
Still loses track of a ball or two in multiball occasionally.

Further, I think there was an attempt
To work on the flipper issue that wouldn’t be the worst thing to resolve..

#9757 46 days ago

my houdini the bumpers are dead right slingshot does not work ball diverter does not work if it is the fuses what type do i need thanks.....

#9758 45 days ago

There is still an issue I believe when using the backboard dimming it caused buggy gameplay.

Hopefullyanother update is coming. My family still enjoys the game. So many fun modes!

#9759 45 days ago
Quoted from MMP:

There is still an issue I believe when using the backboard dimming it caused buggy gameplay.
Hopefullyanother update is coming. My family still enjoys the game. So many fun modes!

Can you elaborate on this bug? Backboard dimming? Is that adjustable in the menu?

#9760 45 days ago

Yes that feature was introduced last update, but I used it and had reported false drains, etc that were tied to the dimming code apparently. Those bugs disappeared after I put dimming back to default.

#9761 45 days ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

my houdini the bumpers are dead right slingshot does not work ball diverter does not work if it is the fuses what type do i need thanks.....

Houdini uses P3ROC boards to drive all solenoids (and LEDs), when you say bumpers do you mean the pop bumpers? I'd check to see which if one of the solenoid driver boards mounted to the bottom of the PF controls all the solenoids that are out and then check the fuse on that board.

#9762 45 days ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

That sounds like the coil driver board part with the red wires is not working.

There are 2 types of fuses used for coil drivers per manual.
5x20 250V slow blow 6.3A
5x20 250V slow blow 4A

Since I have no Houdini, I can't look which one goes in which one. Probably with the schematics in the manual there is a way to deduce which one goes into which one.

One thing you can do is - power off & unplugged and let sit for a few minutes to drain caps! - pull the fuse out of the section with the red wires and look if the rating is stamped on the metal contacts of the fuse and actually check if it is blown.

Ground yourself before touching stuff. Air being dry, you build up lots of static charge. I actually use those thin one time latex / nurse gloves from Costco so I don't zap anything by accident.

Let me know if that helps.

#9763 45 days ago
Quoted from T3quila:

That sounds like the coil driver board part with the red wires is not working.
There are 2 types of fuses used for coil drivers per manual.
5x20 250V slow blow 6.3A
5x20 250V slow blow 4A
Since I have no Houdini, I can't look which one goes in which one. Probably with the schematics in the manual there is a way to deduce which one goes into which one.
One thing you can do is - power off & unplugged and let sit for a few minutes to drain caps! - pull the fuse out of the section with the red wires and look if the rating is stamped on the metal contacts of the fuse and actually check if it is blown.
Ground yourself before touching stuff. Air being dry, you build up lots of static charge. I actually use those thin one time latex / nurse gloves from Costco so I don't zap anything by accident.
Let me know if that helps.

Oh, and look if all plugs are properly seated. Sometimes when moving, playing, pulling play field plugs may become unseated.

#9764 45 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Houdini uses P3ROC boards to drive all solenoids (and LEDs), when you say bumpers do you mean the pop bumpers? I'd check to see which if one of the solenoid driver boards mounted to the bottom of the PF controls all the solenoids that are out and then check the fuse on that board.

Adding to bobukcat's comment - I had a FET go bad (shorted) which fried the diverter post coil in the up position (the one that sends to ball to the VUK, then to the trunk shot). So take a look at your coils for damage while checking the fuse. And if the fuse is bad, likely something else went south, so you will have to chase that down too.

Good luck and ping Barry at AP for help.

#9765 45 days ago
Quoted from MMP:

Yes that feature was introduced last update, but I used it and had reported false drains, etc that were tied to the dimming code apparently. Those bugs disappeared after I put dimming back to default.

Dimming feature introduces a ball handling bug. It is reversible by reloading the latest code, but my advice is dont use any of the light dimming settings made available with the latest code. It is not worth the trouble it will cause you.

#9766 45 days ago

Although it’s not a big deal for me, is there anybody else having reset issues? On occasion my game resets when things get complex. For example, the other night I had “the great jail escape“ and “séance” mode stacked. All of a sudden, the game reset. This happens somewhat rarely and only when stacking, but I wondered if others experience this, and if folks think it’s related to something a code update would fix.

Also, Is it true that API is unveiling its next game at the Texas show? I’m set to go, so I’m really curious to hear if this is accurate.

#9767 45 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

Also, Is it true that API is unveiling its next game at the Texas show? I’m set to go, so I’m really curious to hear if this is accurate.

That is correct. Joe balcer mentioned that on a podcast interview iirc.

#9768 45 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

Although it’s not a big deal for me, is there anybody else having reset issues? On occasion my game resets when things get complex. For example, the other night I had “the great jail escape“ and “séance” mode stacked. All of a sudden, the game reset. This happens somewhat rarely and only when stacking, but I wondered if others experience this, and if folks think it’s related to something a code update would fix.

Yes, code still needs "cleaning up". Would be a great Christmas gift..(Rosh?) LOL
I also heard from someone that the next AP game was being revealed at TPF.

#9769 45 days ago
Quoted from T3quila:

That is correct. Joe balcer mentioned that on a podcast interview iirc.

Outstanding!

#9770 45 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

Outstanding!

Still have to wait till March for the unveil.

Plus, I don't know what unveil means, could be they are just announcing the name up to having a finished machine, or anything in between.

#9771 45 days ago
Quoted from T3quila:

Still have to wait till March for the unveil.
Plus, I don't know what unveil means, could be they are just announcing the name up to having a finished machine, or anything in between.

I'm becoming less and less a fan of so called reveals.
The product should be in the upper 90's complete and ready to ship. Current reveals of late seem to create a negative side to a new game. Complaints abound for artwork, ramps etc... Imagine a reveal were I can call my distro that day and have the game within 2-3 weeks shipped to my front door. Dont mind a code update or 2 within the next year, but code should also be in the 90% range at ship.
Im also in show business so I'm a little picky and jaded. Ive worked countless reveals where the pazzazz of the event is part of the hype. Just once, just once, would love to see some flare to a reveal. Lighting, music, haze, lasers, whatever, make a show of it!.
Thats what these machines Are, a Show under glass.

#9772 45 days ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The product should be in the upper 90's complete and ready to ship. Current reveals of late seem to create a negative side to a new game. Complaints abound for artwork, ramps etc... Imagine a reveal were I can call my distro that day and have the game within 2-3 weeks shipped to my front door. Dont mind a code update or 2 within the next year, but code should also be in the 90% range at ship.
Im also in show business so I'm a little picky and jaded. Ive worked countless reveals where the pazzazz of the event is part of the hype. Just once, just once, would love to see some flare to a reveal. Lighting, music, haze, lasers, whatever, make a show of it!.

Although the timing has been waaaaaaaay too late, I think JJP's promos for Dialed In and (to a slightly lesser extent) The Hobbit have been OUT-STANDING.

Just watching that again makes me want to get another DILE. Those promos came way too late and SHOULD HAVE been the first part of the reveal instead of the conference room style thing they do at Expo. Make some buzz, get people talking without giving too much away. JJP POTC had the major issue with people stupidly pulling out because of the rotating disc, but that hurt them badly on presales. Maybe more tease and less deep dive is the way to go to whet the appetite.

The problem with not doing a reveal until code is 90% means no money is flowing in because people are waiting to see the game - they have to get some cash flow beforehand and not just lump it all into the previous game, because if that game's sales crater early, you're dead. Stern is doing this right - they're making it easier to pump out the games, and their marketing is selling the next game every 6 months. Obviously they're much bigger than the others, but that cycle is keeping them in business.

#9773 45 days ago

Agree with your view to some extent but as a questionable profit nitch market product business my guess is they benefit greatly from a slow burn unveil. Look at the the first Octoberfest unveil. People (still don’t understand why) were revolting and attacking the company over a monkey? IF they did a big show unveil and released to ship ASAP this May have sunk them. Opposite happened to Suncoast. Secret flash unveil with no time to switch coarse to initial reviews and they sunk. It’s a dammed if you do/don’t kind of boutique market. Don’t think for a second theses OEMs are not closely reviewing feedback before dropping tons on tooling, code, and production. That’s my view anyway.

#9774 45 days ago

Makes sense but it's in direct contradiction to what a lot of people have been asking for:
Look at the Raza thing going on: for years people have been screaming about to get early access to be involved with the designing process and to give feedback in early stages.
They did exactly that, and look at the fallout. Nothing else has been talked about other than " why would you reveal a game at that stage".

I agree with the sentiment started above: damned if you do and damned if you don't. It is a shame that companies have to spend more time on marketing and PR than on actually working on the product. I don't think that is new, and it's pervasive through any industry these days.
On the flip side, it keeps companies more accountable as true f* ups are now easier revealed.

#9775 45 days ago
Quoted from T3quila:

Makes sense but it's in direct contradiction to what a lot of people have been asking for:
Look at the Raza thing going on: for years people have been screaming about to get early access to be involved with the designing process and to give feedback in early stages.
They did exactly that, and look at the fallout. Nothing else has been talked about other than " why would you reveal a game at that stage".
I agree with the sentiment started above: damned if you do and damned if you don't. It is a shame that companies have to spend more time on marketing and PR than on actually working on the product. I don't think that is new, and it's pervasive through any industry these days.
On the flip side, it keeps companies more accountable as true f* ups are now easier revealed.

They exist to sell you a product. Part of salesmanship is doing the legwork of not just the production work for the game, but marketing production as well.

Without consumers, they don't exist. Without them, we don't play new pinball titles.

So yeah, they do need a dedicated person/department, to properly introduce, and sell what the feature set it for their new machine. They need to hype, give info, and do so in a professional, exciting, and accurate manner! Every business, even a local pizza shop or brewery, needs to do this effectively not just to survive, but grow.

Competency, yet alone excellence, is never a bad thing.

#9776 45 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

They exist to sell you a product. Part of salesmanship is doing the legwork of not just the production work for the game, but marketing production as well.
Without consumers, they don't exist. Without them, we don't play new pinball titles.
So yeah, they do need a dedicated person/department, to properly introduce, and sell what the feature set it for their new machine. They need to hype, give info, and do so in a professional, exciting, and accurate manner! Every business, even a local pizza shop or brewery, needs to do this effectively not just to survive, but grow.
Competency, yet alone excellence, is never a bad thing.

I agree that marketing is part of the deal, I'm lamenting essentially the fact that shitty products with good marketing are more successful than the opposite. I am, just as much as most other people, distracted by shiny objects - however, what I cannot abide is the negativity if the package is not colorful enough.

#9777 45 days ago
Quoted from T3quila:

I agree that marketing is part of the deal, I'm lamenting essentially the fact that shitty products with good marketing are more successful than the opposite. I am, just as much as most other people, distracted by shiny objects - however, what I cannot abide is the negativity if the package is not colorful enough.

BTW, I don't mean this thread with this statement. That was just a general observation / statement.
I guess I should quit hijacking this thread for a general discussion about marketing and it's implications

#9778 45 days ago

Guys (and gals),

Finally!! After a year a half of ownership, I made it to Master Magician! Got close before, but luck was with me tonight for awhile.

Whew, what a rush!! Failed in the end, and no clue what I needed to do. Wifey was watching the screen, telling me what to hit while I just tried to keep the balls in play and hit whatever she told me to aim for.

I'm seriously wore out, but in a good way.

#9779 44 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

I think I might know a guy...

I spoke with Josh this morning and he said he had been working on Houdini code over the week end, so we'll have something coming in the near future.

#9780 44 days ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

What can I do to help ?

LTG : )

#9781 44 days ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

I spoke with Josh this morning and he said he had been working on Houdini code over the week end, so we'll have something coming in the near future.

Woo! CAN we send him some tequila?

#9782 44 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

What can I do to help ?

LTG, I thought you were the guy.

#9783 44 days ago
Quoted from Platypus:

LTG, I thought you were the guy.

I don't think so.

I took a shot.

#9784 41 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

Welcome to the club. Great game. Wait until you get into Man From Beyond when stacked with Trunk multi-ball and Seance. Make sure the room lights are out! Awesome.
If you don’t have the knocker, get that. Really great- especilkay in the Bullet mode. Shaker is great too.
Have fun!

Just ordered the shaker and knocker today with my credit from getting the power supply upgrade, can’t wait to put them in!

#9785 41 days ago
Quoted from riggy469:

Just ordered the shaker and knocker today with my credit from getting the power supply upgrade, can’t wait to put them in!

They truly bring the game to another level.

#9786 41 days ago
Quoted from riggy469:

I assume the power supply was a relatively easy (1 hr or less, just plugs and screws) project? I want to get one myself, but my pinball list of to-dos (along with normal life shit) is rather long right now.

#9788 41 days ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

I assume the power supply was a relatively easy (1 hr or less, just plugs and screws) project? I want to get one myself, but my pinball list of to-dos (along with normal life shit) is rather long right now.

My recommendation is not to use the provided wall nuts to attach the power supply wires. The wires wouldn't stay attached so I wound up soldering everything together. If you're going to do the knocker, do it at this time since one of the knocker wires runs to the power supply.

#9789 41 days ago
Quoted from GSones:

My recommendation is not to use the provided wall nuts to attach the power supply wires. The wires wouldn't stay attached so I wound up soldering everything together. If you're going to do the knocker, do it at this time since one of the knocker wires runs to the power supply.

Ah, that's what I was wondering, if it's just plug and play, so to speak, or if there's soldering involved. Thankfully my machine already has a shaker and knocker.

#9790 41 days ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

Mine, and a few others, were shipped with bolts, not wood screws. No biggie, just went to the local hardware store and got the correct length wood screws.

Biggest issue I had was the PS brackets wanted to sit on the 45 degree piece of wood used support bottom wood against the side of the cabinet (i.e. the PS is not sitting flush to the bottom), so I just used the two screws on the inner side. Not a issue just sitting there. But if I was to move the pin, I would get some different brackets for the outer side so it's secured well. If I were to install again, I'd just install forward of where the instructions mentions (check to verify the wires are long enough).

#9791 38 days ago

SOLD —— Just posted a Houdini water torture mod. Excellent condition, I just like the corner open.
Check it out if interested. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-water-torture-mod

#9792 35 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

I havent had any resets, though I probably never had anything stacked with Great Jail Escape...

#9793 35 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

If you ever get a reset, please pull and send me the logs.

#9794 34 days ago

I am just about ready for some beta testers for the next code release. Like most betas, I will start with just a couple of folks and then expand if nothing significant pops up.

While the release will have a couple of new features and rule tweaks, it is primarily around improving game flow, ball management, choreography, lightshows, etc. There were some pretty significant changes made under the hood, so this Beta will likely last for a few weeks.

If you are interested in participating, send me a PM with your email address.

#9795 34 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

I am just about ready for some beta testers for the next code release. Like most betas, I will start with just a couple of folks and then expand if nothing significant pops up.
While the release will have a couple of new features and rule tweaks, it is primarily around improving game flow, ball management, choreography, lightshows, etc. There were some pretty significant changes made under the hood, so this Beta will likely last for a few weeks.

I left my game on most of the day on Halloween.....was really hoping for a seance eater egg. Well maybe in this code update.

#9796 34 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

Thank you!

#9797 29 days ago

Have not found any bugs as yet (only played one game but got a 2 million+ score). The code is WAY, WAY faster. Loads faster, plays faster, skips ahead faster. From that perspective alone, huge improvement. LOVE this game. My brother and father are over and both commented specifically about Houdini being “Awesome!”

#9798 28 days ago

Just played master magician. Did terribly on it, but am shocked I made it after 3 weeks or so of owning the game. My nephews were both impressed.

A0C0D08B-B9C8-4BE6-B179-8A99796F442A (resized).jpeg
#9799 26 days ago

I think one of the things Rosh was looking to do was a firmware update on all the boards. Nothing stopping this machine on having a lightshow equivalent to TNA etc. It really could do with improvements in this area. The whole package needs to be a bit slicker. It has the makings of a top 20 pin with shots, theme And toys!

#9800 22 days ago

...but am shocked I made it after 3 weeks or so of owning the game...[quoted image]

why being shocked !? because it is supposed to be hard to do ?
even not talking about skillz here, but simply sometimes its "your" day (and most of the time you know/feel it)

my son did beat "last man standing" on TWD after... 1 day we got the pin home !
i've beaten DEADPOOL after only... 5 games !!!
in the other way, we never beat (for example) MET (with old complete code) even having it home for about 1 years...

that's pinball
and that's why is so fun

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
Machine - For Sale
Baltimore, MD
There are 9852 posts in this topic. You are on page 196 of 198.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside