20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 194 of 297.
#9651 4 years ago

Im on my second curtain decal and its already showing wear... anyone else seeing this?

#9652 4 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Im on my second curtain decal and its already showing wear... anyone else seeing this?

How long have you had the game? How many plays? Just curious.

BTW, did you have to buy the entire sticker set, or did they sell that one separately?

#9653 4 years ago

I got the curtain separately. Maybe I have 100 games on it since I replaced the curtain. Its just "scuffed" now but it seems like its not going to last long again.

#9654 4 years ago

Curious are your pinballs knicked up, in need of replacement?

#9655 4 years ago

I put new ones in when I replace decals.

#9656 4 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

I put new ones in when I replace decals.

Interesting. I wonder if the door is scraping when retracting or deformed by impacts and the degradation to the decal is a secondary issue rather than just the result of ball impacts. Mine has about 700 and looks like almost new. I’m really happy to hear that API will supply the single decal.

#9657 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Interesting. I wonder if the door is scraping when retracting or deformed by impacts and the degradation to the decal is a secondary issue rather than just the result of ball impacts. Mine has about 700 and looks like almost new. I’m really happy to hear that API will supply the single decal.

Mine looks fine with about 1450 plays on it, I have the spare they included in the goody bad but at this rate it's going to be a long time before I need it, or so it appears anyway. I took this pic with the glass on and a 2X zoom, it looks even better to the naked eye.

20191107_132816 (resized).jpg20191107_132816 (resized).jpg
#9658 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Mine looks fine with about 1450 plays on it, I have the spare they included in the goody bad but at this rate it's going to be a long time before I need it, or so it appears anyway. I took this pic with the glass on and a 2X zoom, it looks even better to the naked eye.[quoted image]

That's what mine looks like after almost 2000 plays. I really didn't think it would last as long as it has given its location on the playfield.

#9659 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Mine looks fine with about 1450 plays on it, I have the spare they included in the goody bad but at this rate it's going to be a long time before I need it, or so it appears anyway. I took this pic with the glass on and a 2X zoom, it looks even better to the naked eye.[quoted image]

It must be the retracting thats doing the most damage.. Thats about how mine looks. I guess Ill order a couple of decals and throw them in the coinbox.

#9660 4 years ago

Today played Houdini for the first time on the dutch dpo expo 2019.
also Octoberfest.

Both machines where very crowded.
Wow what a great games.
Both full of action.
Whole family's were playing and waiting for there turn on octoberfest.

#9661 4 years ago

My left flipper coil started to rapid fire when I hold the button in. I checked the EOS switch and it was closed. But after prying it apart, got the same problem. I swapped the left coil with the right flipper coil, and the problem shifted to the right flipper. So, using Holmes-type deductive reasoning, I named the coil as the culprit and ordered two new coils from API. I am so glad for the solderless connections on these. Do new machines from other companies come with the lugless coils?

#9662 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I named the coil as the culprit

See the thin wires from the coil winding to the lugs ? Dig around them. Most likely one is cracked or broken. Easy fix.

LTG : )

#9663 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

See the thin wires from the coil winding to the lugs ? Dig around them. Most likely one is cracked or broken. Easy fix.

Easy if I could solder worth a damn. That's a good call, though, because one of the EOS mounting screws had fallen out, which may have put strain on the wiring.

#9664 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Easy if I could solder worth a damn.

Youtube - how to solder - lots of short videos, how to heat joint and flow solder.

!0 minutes of practice and you'll be a pro.

#9665 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Youtube - how to solder - lots of short videos, how to heat joint and flow solder.

#9666 4 years ago

It's probably just a one-off fluke since as of now it only happened once, but yesterday I changed some settings, played a game, was on ball 3, went in the magic shop, got the animations (rabbit out of a hat then 2x milkcan) and then the game ended as if ball 3 drained. It didn't crash, just got end of ball stats, then game over since it was #3. Happen to anyone before?

#9667 4 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

It's probably just a one-off fluke since as of now it only happened once, but yesterday I changed some settings, played a game, was on ball 3, went in the magic shop, got the animations (rabbit out of a hat then 2x milkcan) and then the game ended as if ball 3 drained. It didn't crash, just got end of ball stats, then game over since it was #3. Happen to anyone before?

Yes, once in awhile.

#9668 4 years ago

Was just having a great game, my best ever, and first time reaching Master Magician mode but didn't complete it, so game over (that's how it should be, right?). Had two balls left. I guess I'll make it harder to get to MM in the future. I want to keep going when I'm on!

IMG_20191110_201555 (resized).jpgIMG_20191110_201555 (resized).jpg

#9669 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I will dig into these because now I have to solder a coik for the LOTR sword lock. Why do these all break at the same time?

#9670 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I will dig into these because now I have to solder a coik for the LOTR sword lock. Why do these all break at the same time?

You should come check out the Western Mass Pinball Club in Palmer. Not terribly far from you, and lots of knowledgeable people who could probably help with minor soldering stuff if you can transport the broken stuff there. We are always looking for more people to swing by and check the place out.

You may even meet other people from out your way that could help you in house.

#9671 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Why do these all break at the same time?

Because they know you'll have to learn something to fix them good.

If it was an easy fix, they know not to break.

#9672 4 years ago

Has anyone successfully installed the scoop Cliffy?

I appear to be missing something in that it doesn’t seem to fit, to big. Any advice and suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

#9673 4 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

I appear to be missing something in that it doesn’t seem to fit, to big. Any advice and suggestions welcomed.
Thanks

Yep - a few of us here installed. If I recall correctly, a PIA since it needs to slide under the the metal rail. And you need to take off a fair amount of stuff to install. I think Pinballinreno has pictures in this thread somewhere. Worth the trouble tho. Is it really a Cliffy, or a knock-off?

#9674 4 years ago

It’s real so I know it should fit. Perhaps I just haven’t removed enough for it to be clear to me but optically, it just looks out of proportion.

I’ll do a little research deeper in the thread to see if I can find the reference. Thanks

#9675 4 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

It’s real so I know it should fit. Perhaps I just haven’t removed enough for it to be clear to me but optically, it just looks out of proportion.
I’ll do a little research deeper in the thread to see if I can find the reference. Thanks

It fits and was rather easy, the shooter lane protector is a little more involved and involves loosening the wood rail on the right.

#9676 4 years ago

It seems that often when I get Milkcan Multiplier via skill shoot or magic shop it stays lit for only a little bit and not the whole ball. Is this common?

#9677 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

It seems that often when I get Milkcan Multiplier via skill shoot or magic shop it stays lit for only a little bit and not the whole ball. Is this common?

Yes, its timed

#9678 4 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

Thanks

I installed it and it was a bit of work. Take off the scoop, the post behind the scoop, removed the VUK [rather, left it a' dangling] and loosen the rail to the left of the scoop enough to get the protector under without scraping the PF. I hear that some of the 2nd generation scoop protectors were cut in a way that avoided going under the metal rail, although I'm not sure if that is fact of lore. All in all, the scoop protector [which is the most critical in my opinion since I've already seen a few Houdini's with scoop damage] took about 45 minutes.

#9679 4 years ago

Thanks for the detailed Cliffy response. I’ll give it another try with a little more patience.

#9680 4 years ago

I took a picture of mine to try to remember the metal rail part. I'm pretty sure mine was the 2nd gen to help with the metal rail on the right. The metal rail on the left is what gave me some heartburn. I loosened up the rail, but being metal, it wouldn't flex much. I and I didn't want to take it entirely out since that seemed like a big deal. I was able to get it under it, but be careful not to nick the PF.

A little tip: When taking off the plastics, the plastic is notched for the rail - meaning you don't have to take the screws all the way out. The VUK zahner mentioned wasn't a big deal, but get something to hang it from inorder to not stress the wires when it's hanging.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9681 4 years ago

This all seems so complicated. It’s a HUO machine. Do you think it is necessary to do/worth the effort?

I bought the Cliffy. I sunk the cost but worried I’ll screw up a perfectly calibrated , nicely playing machine for a piece that might be overkill.

#9682 4 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

This all seems so complicated. It’s a HUO machine. Do you think it is necessary to do/worth the effort?
I bought the Cliffy. I sunk the cost but worried I’ll screw up a perfectly calibrated , nicely playing machine for a piece that might be overkill.

About 1500 plays, no cliffy, no wear.
My secret, i put tiny piece of mylar over scoop edge about a week into ownership.

#9683 4 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

worried I’ll screw up a perfectly calibrated , nicely playing machine for a piece that might be overkill.

If it ain't broke, don't break it.

#9684 4 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

Easy answer: Just keep an eye on the scoop, if you ever start to see some wear, then install it. Eric's answer about installing some mylar is good - I did that on my AS.

The shooter lane Cliffy's - if you got those, that's an easier install.

#9685 4 years ago

Install the cliffy.

Its not a big deal. But yields excellent results

#9686 4 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

... which might be said about making any sort of changes to any machine ever bought ever. If you like it enough to buy a Cliffy, install it!

#9687 4 years ago

I've only put light play on my game... have the cliffy set but decided not to mess with the scoop until a sign of wear.

#9688 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Install the cliffy.
Its not a big deal. But yields excellent results

Depends....In a home use only setting they are not needed generally speaking. Also, in some cases it makes the shot more difficult to hit. Noticed a lot tighter shot on my Creature scoop with a cliffy vs without as an example. Ended up removing it and am happy as the shot is way more consistent. Installing some of them can be super difficult with a ton of stuff to remove. Now in the wild I would for sure install the protectors no question. It's all about the number of plays without doubt. It's unfortunate that we have a steel ball on wood and plastic. Eventually steel wins no matter what you do.

#9689 4 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

You should come check out the Western Mass Pinball Club in Palmer. Not terribly far from you, and lots of knowledgeable people who could probably help with minor soldering stuff if you can transport the broken stuff there. We are always looking for more people to swing by and check the place out.
You may even meet other people from out your way that could help you in house.

Good to know, thanks!

#9690 4 years ago

There is a little abrasion on one wire of the flipper coil. Not sure if that could cause multiflips on a held flip button. No issues with the replacement installed.

20191115_193550 (resized).jpg20191115_193550 (resized).jpg
#9691 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

There is a little abrasion on one wire of the flipper coil. Not sure if that could cause multiflips on a held flip button.

Yes. You could separate the two wires and coat with something non conductive to shield them. Repair the top one if it's cracked through. Use the coil as a spare.

#9692 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes. You could separate the two wires and coat with something non conductive to shield them. Repair the top one if it's cracked through. Use the coil as a spare.

Will try, thanks. Gotta see what caused that wear so it doesnt happen again.

#9693 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Will try, thanks. Gotta see what caused that wear so it doesnt happen again.

If you have a female 'better half'...some nail polish will do in a pinch.

#9694 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

If you have a female 'better half'...some nail polish will do in a pinch.

Phant-O's game will look great with pink coils!

But go ahead and give it a go. I suggest first checking resistance on that coil and comparing with a new good one, carefully remove the coil wrapper and examine the windings for wear or broken strands. You may need only to isolate the two strands (leads) You can unwind one wrap, scrape it clean and re solder if broken.

I generally dissect anything that breaks to determine the fault even if I have a replacement. Nothing to loose and plenty to learn.

#9695 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Phant-O's game will look great with pink coils!

Well, I was thinking of the clear, but pink would work too!

#9696 4 years ago

Had a really good game the othernite and progressed thru a number of modes..However on one of the modes, forget which one the lights on the playfield went out and then some flickered on in places.. Sure I have seen this happen before..
Think the code still needs work.. Overall this pin could really be improved with a better lightshow.. It's good but could be top 20..

#9697 4 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Had a really good game the othernite and progressed thru a number of modes..However on one of the modes, forget which one the lights on the playfield went out and then some flickered on in places.. Sure I have seen this happen before..
Think the code still needs work.. Overall this pin could really be improved with a better lightshow.. It's good but could be top 20..

The man from beyond? If so the game is working as designed. This is one of my favorite modes.

#9698 4 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

The man from beyond? If so the game is working as designed. This is one of my favorite modes.

I love that mode!

#9699 4 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Prob Man from Beyond - lots of people have gotten confused about that since that's the only mode the entire playfield shuts off. awesome mode!

#9700 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Prob Man from Beyond - lots of people have gotten confused about that since that's the only mode the entire playfield shuts off. awesome mode!

Had to add - indeed an awesome mode, my favorite. Even more awesome when stacked with other multi-ball modes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 194 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/194?hl=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.