20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 193 of 297.
#9601 4 years ago

I'm moving my Houdini on. My gameroom is full and I want to pick up a JP2, so Houdini is going.

Machine - For Sale
Houdini Archived
As new - New out of box (first owner) - “Selling my Houdini to make way for JP3 Premium which I've just paid deposit on. Has very low plays. All factory options, Magic Glass, shaker, art blades, and topper kit (not instal...”
2019-11-25
Thirroul, NSW
9,500 (OBO)
Archived after: 7 days
Viewed: 441 times

2 weeks later
#9602 4 years ago

So some Update from my Game.
With the amazing help from Barry I got a fix for my Houdini.

I checked alot stuff the Last two weeks and installed new coils, and a new eos kit.

Also reseated ALL connectors in the game and I found a "loose" connectorpin on the powersupply adapter cable. So I fixed this little Pin and now voila the game works pretty good.

I noticed a little voltage increases/Drops (0,xxv) Not a big Deal , but I hope we'll get a fix with the new code someday.

At the Moment i'm Happy with this Game and my decision to keep it. The Flipperproblem for me is solved to about 90%.

I have to do a bit Finetuning with the voltage and the Flipper Power (menu) but I think it's makeable to ajust the game Up to 95%.

I Want to thank Barry and the whole AP-team for the Support.

Now it's time to build a airballguard for the right ramp targets and do rest moddings (light, knockerkit) and then enjoy the "Show"

#9603 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

With the amazing help from Barry I got a fix for my Houdini.

Barry knows those pins inside and out. A great resource for help.

LTG : )

#9604 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Now it's time to build a airballguard for the right ramp targets and do rest moddings (light, knockerkit) and then enjoy the "Show"

Air ball guard? Do tell...

#9605 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Air ball guard? Do tell...

Flipper power must be way up.

#9606 4 years ago

The 3 seance targets (n,c,e) on the right side lead to airballs with my Setup ( playfield protector, flipperpower).

The flipperpower is good at the moment, cause all shots working. So I will try this airball guard to reduce the airballs from this targets.

Here is my prototype i made Yesterday. Not pretty but functional.

IMG_20191028_061327 (resized).jpgIMG_20191028_061327 (resized).jpg
#9607 4 years ago

So I completed all the movie modes and got a Houdini letter but never saw movie binge mini wizard mode. Do you have to spell FILM again or shoot a certain shot to start it?

#9608 4 years ago

I have a question.

I want to build my own knocker kit, cause shipping to germany is extrem expensive

I have an prebuild assembly with options for one of this coils: AE-26-1200 or AE-23-800

https://pu-parts.com/williams-bally-knocker-baugruppe-fuer-wpc-und-wpc-95-flipper_1

Also I need to know with connectors I have to use on the

--> ADD ON BOARD for VIN-2 (48V)
--> ADD ON BOARD DRV-5 (knocker connection) and Coilside.

So I would like to build the wiring harness by myself.

Hope you can help me.

Thank you and best regards.

Mighty

#9609 4 years ago
Quoted from CoPinfan:

Anyone else having issues with the sound. If I leave the game on for awhile, the sound will "shrink" and become tinny like if you've blown a speaker. Then after it's been off for awhile, it will be fine. I do have a powered subwoofer attached, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

Check the connection between the computer, ground loop isolator and amp.. Pull out and re-seat. Should be good after that.

#9610 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

The 3 seance targets (n,c,e) on the right side lead to airballs with my Setup ( playfield protector, flipperpower).
The flipperpower is good at the moment, cause all shots working. So I will try this airball guard to reduce the airballs from this targets.
Here is my prototype i made Yesterday. Not pretty but functional.[quoted image]

So are you having balls flying off the targets hitting stuff, or is this to protect the targets? Curious to see you invention installed.
Very creative of you.

#9611 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

So are you having balls flying off the targets hitting stuff, or is this to protect the targets? Curious to see you invention installed.
Very creative of you.

Due to the playfieldprotector and the slightly higher coil volstage it happens that the ball flying around and hitting stuff. Not all the time, but 2-3 times in a game. That was too much.

I make a picture later. The prototype looks like sh*t now. But better then nothing

#9612 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

So I completed all the movie modes and got a Houdini letter but never saw movie binge mini wizard mode. Do you have to spell FILM again or shoot a certain shot to start it?

Yes- just as you thought: Complete FILM on more time and make the movie reel shot.

#9613 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

Yes- just as you thought: Complete FILM on more time and make the movie reel shot.

Okay thanks.

#9614 4 years ago

Happy Halloween Houdini fans.
Harry Houdini seance day. Make sure you play and bring him back from the dead.

#9615 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Happy Halloween Houdini fans.
Harry Houdini seance day. Make sure you play and bring him back from the dead.

Hopefully by the end of today there will be a new code update as well for Houdini's Anniversary!!
Happy Halloween

#9616 4 years ago

Hello,
I own a Houdini pinball machine since some weeks and really enjoy it. But I find the rules quite difficult to understand. Is there a rules follow chart available somewhere ? Like on jjp games.
I'm not a bad player but it seems impossible for me to finish the game. Do you guys achieve to reach the master magician ?
Thank you

#9617 4 years ago
Quoted from pimseb:

Hello,
I own a Houdini pinball machine since some weeks and really enjoy it. But I find the rules quite difficult to understand. Is there a rules follow chart available somewhere ? Like on jjp games.
I'm not a bad player but it seems impossible for me to finish the game. Do you guys achieve to reach the master magician ?
Thank you

It's really not that hard after a few games. It was tough for me in the beginning as well but you get use to it very quickly especially after a few drinks lol Once you reach the Master Magician Mode it's a whole lot funner!! Here's my youtube clip of the ending of game!

#9618 4 years ago
Quoted from pimseb:

Hello,
Thank you

I’ve had my game for almost a year and a half - still love it! Still can not get even close to master magician mode.. have patience!

#9619 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’ve had my game for almost a year and a half - still love it! Still can not get even close to master magician mode.. have patience!

Yes, patience is key! I've bought mine 4 months ago in June.

#9620 4 years ago

Here is a picture from my First airballguard Prototype

IMG_20191031_204154 (resized).jpgIMG_20191031_204154 (resized).jpgIMG_20191031_204326 (resized).jpgIMG_20191031_204326 (resized).jpg
#9621 4 years ago

remind me GB...

but here, quite sure this will not last long & break
because the left screw-point is too far from the target (N), letting the plastic to curve & go up, and when too much this should break (let's hope i'm wrong)

#9622 4 years ago

Midnight tonight would be the perfect time to drop a code update....

Just sayin...

#9623 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

remind me GB...
but here, quite sure this will not last long & break
because the left screw-point is too far from the target (N), letting the plastic to curve & go up, and when too much this should break (let's hope i'm wrong)

Yes but the lexan ist flexible and thin... So it's much Higher over the target then it looks. So the Ball can't Push it Up so hard.

I try another one with Cover Up only (N) and (C) target which Will Go over the ramp entrance.

#9624 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Midnight tonight would be the perfect time to drop a code update....
Just sayin...

I hope so

#9625 4 years ago

Me too

#9626 4 years ago

Guys don’t get your hopes up! There’s a lot going on at AP lately ...

#9627 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Guys don’t get your hopes up! There’s a lot going on at AP lately ...

Agree, be surprised if it happens at all. AP is onto Oktoberfest and the fourth coming redemption game.

Furthermore it doesn’t help that Dan (works for AP) had no knowledge of the issue nonetheless that any further software release, for Houdini, was fourth coming. (Referencing Conversation in Oktoberfest post).

#9628 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Agree, be surprised if it happens at all. AP is onto Oktoberfest and the fourth coming redemption game.
Furthermore it doesn’t help that Dan (works for AP) had no knowledge of the issue nonetheless that any further software release, for Houdini, was fourth coming. (Referencing Conversation in Oktoberfest post).

Josh posted at one point that he's only able to work on Houdini in his spare time - of which I'm sure
There's no much these days! I love The game as is, But There's no question it ain't done. Whatever though, I can wait.

#9629 4 years ago

A little blurb from the slide deck from the American Pinball seminar at Pinball Expo two weeks ago:

Houdini - Code update in progress - Beta testing later this year

#9630 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Josh posted at one point that he's only able to work on Houdini in his spare time - of which I'm sure
There's no much these days! I love The game as is, But There's no question it ain't done. Whatever though, I can wait.

Yeah it is what it is!

I just think, if any new pinball company wants to set itself apart from the others.....release a game when announced and then have finished code 6 months after it’s released! Hell make it 12 months and they’ll still be way ahead of the others.

#9631 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

A little blurb from the slide deck from the American Pinball seminar at Pinball Expo two weeks ago:
Houdini - Code update in progress - Beta testing later this year

Awesome. Can't wait!

#9632 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Yeah it is what it is!
I just think, if any new pinball company wants to set itself apart from the others.....release a game when announced and then have finished code 6 months after it’s released! Hell make it 12 months and they’ll still be way ahead of the others.

JJP pretty much did this on POTC. Most complete game I’ve ever seen as shipped. Dialed In was pretty darn close too

#9633 4 years ago
Quoted from multibrawlr:

Awesome. Can't wait!

Woo hoo!!!

#9634 4 years ago

I love the game. Some ideas/suggestions for the update:

* There's still a "placeholder animation" in Bullet Catch. I think it's for the instructions during the moving shot sequence--hopefully this can be addressed.

* Idea for ESCAPE targets: during a Jail Escape Hurry-Up, hitting these standups or the Jail hole could add value to the hurry-up in progress.

* The spinner gets use in some modes and combos. However, in normal play, I don't find it relevant once you've already lit the Magic Shop. Maybe shooting the spinner could give a different award if the Magic Shop is already lit.

* Maybe some more lightshows? I think Seance and Trunk Multiball start, along with the Encore Bonus, could use some. A lightshow could make Encore Bonus in particular have an even bigger payoff (not just the points you get).

* Random question, but do you guys have any unused callouts left over? Because I dunno, to me this game is so special, if I were working on it I'd definitely try putting in as much speech as possible. Then again...I understand you have to pay attention to the space used in the code, or certain callouts were left out for good reason (don't sound as good, or you're unsure where to put them).

At any rate, thank you guys for continuing to support Houdini!

#9635 4 years ago

I know many of us have occasional flipper and ball-count problems, which may be due to power and operating system lag. But I'd be content with the game even if there were no more major updates. The modes, user-adjustable features/difficulty/coil strengths, light shows, music, add-on accessories, and high-scoring strategies are all fine as is. I would rather see the API team getting out a few new pins so they have money flowing in and can be a viable industry player.

#9636 4 years ago

Here is a transcript of the Houdini master magician mode instructions. Some aspects may have changed in later software updates...

Time to show your mastery of all things Houdini

With reversed and inverted flippers and a 60 second ball save…

1. Spell Séance in order – two hits per letter (light blue)
2. Spell ESCAPE, shoot Jail, then complete all 5 shots (green)
3. Shoot 10 red stage shots – Earn original mode points (red)
4. Lock three balls in trunk – lock stays lit (teal)
5. 75 magic shop spins (yellow)
6. Shoot five blue movie shots – earn original film mode points (dark blue)

Shots light when associated stage shot is lit

Chimping flippers reduces ball save time

Phase 2
Once you are down to a single ball, you have 60 seconds to complete the above objectives and complete at least one combo (pink). The longest length combo you complete sets final multiplier and determines your final level of mastery. Once time runs out, your test is over. Are you a master magician? Let’s find out.

My notes on game play: Following these instructions, there is a progress report screen showing stage modes, Séance, Trunk multiball, magic shop visits (with #75 showing over the hat), films, jail (with a score superimposed in the circle) and combos. As you play, the screen updates the circles, showing progress. The stage modes are also indicated by a screen shot with the score collected. As each task is completed, a Houdini letter will appear over the task’s circle – H over stage modes, O over Séance, U over trunk, etc. If you get all 7 letters, I assume you are designated a Master Magician. Note that I don’t think it is necessary to spell Séance in order – I have completed this task, and there is no way I spelled it in order. Just two hits per target in any order will work.

Houdini MM rules (resized).JPGHoudini MM rules (resized).JPG
#9637 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Here is a transcript of the Houdini master magician mode instructions. Some aspects may have changed in later software updates...
Time to show your mastery of all things Houdini
With reversed and inverted flippers and a 60 second ball save…
1. Spell Séance in order – two hits per letter (light blue)
2. Spell ESCAPE, shoot Jail, then complete all 5 shots (green)
3. Shoot 10 red stage shots – Earn original mode points (red)
4. Lock three balls in trunk – lock stays lit (teal)
5. 75 magic shop spins (yellow)
6. Shoot five blue movie shots – earn original film mode points (dark blue)
Shots light when associated stage shot is lit
Chimping flippers reduces ball save time
Phase 2
Once you are down to a single ball, you have 60 seconds to complete the above objectives and complete at least one combo (pink). The longest length combo you complete sets final multiplier and determines your final level of mastery. Once time runs out, your test is over. Are you a master magician? Let’s find out.
My notes on game play: Following these instructions, there is a progress report screen showing stage modes, Séance, Trunk multiball, magic shop visits (with #75 showing over the hat), films, jail (with a score superimposed in the circle) and combos. As you play, the screen updates the circles, showing progress. The stage modes are also indicated by a screen shot with the score collected. As each task is completed, a Houdini letter will appear over the task’s circle – H over stage modes, O over Séance, U over trunk, etc. If you get all 7 letters, I assume you are designated a Master Magician. Note that I don’t think it is necessary to spell Séance in order – I have completed this task, and there is no way I spelled it in order. Just two hits per target in any order will work.[quoted image]

Has anyone even come close to success on this?
Not me.
Shoot - I can’t ever spell SEANCE in order during seance mode.
I’m getting better at the inverted reversed flippers....
My amateurish playing aside, I agree with the idea that even if there is never another update, I will continue to count Houdini among my all-time favorites — but I still hope there is an update someday.

#9638 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Has anyone even come close to success on this?
Not me.
Shoot - I can’t ever spell SEANCE in order during seance mode.
I’m getting better at the inverted reversed flippers....
My amateurish playing aside, I agree with the idea that even if there is never another update, I will continue to count Houdini among my all-time favorites — but I still hope there is an update someday.

I have my game set to the easiest of settings and on 3 ball. Oh and I have 4 levels for replay that adds extra balls into the mix. I can get to the wizard mode often-but the best I have done in the MM mode is complete 4 of the Houdini letter objectives.

To be quite honest -I get more satisfaction from completing all the stage acts -to get the crowd chanting HOUDINI. This to me was a stroke off brilliance. Have been awarded some very large bonuses for the Encore for doing well in completing the stage acts.

Maybe there is some psychology involved - It is more rewarding to get the applause for the encore , as opposed to the word" FAILED " plastered across the screen for being unable to complete MM. But it is a great challenge and I keep coming back .It is a very clever game.

#9639 4 years ago

Barry's key post #5966
12v for flasher.

I'm looking at pinball life and do I want wedge or bayonet style flasher lamps? When I do change my light bulb is it just pulling it out and sticking a new one in or am I unscrewing stuff? I'm completely inexperienced on this.

#9640 4 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

I'm looking at pinball life and do I want wedge or bayonet style flasher lamps? When I do change my light bulb is it just pulling it out and sticking a new one in or am I unscrewing stuff? I'm completely inexperienced on this.

Wedge, just pull out, no screws.
Its ok, we all started out New at one point.
Don't be afraid to dig in and learn.

#9641 4 years ago

Don't be afraid to dig in and learn.

Please don't be afraid to ask for help if you don't know something. People will help you.

You will learn. And eventually you can help others.

Help make pinball great.

#9642 4 years ago

I apologize if this has been addressed already. I read through much of this post but have not found an exact match to my question.
I am new to posting so please bear with me
The stage curtain on my Houdini Machine just stopped working. It did not show any sign of inconsistencies leading up to the all out failure of the device. Everything else regarding the stage works fine but the curtain will not open nor close. Is this a common issue? Not sure if there is much I can do. Some friends have mentioned I may need a whole new unit if that is broke due to all the calibrations. I’m hoping for the best here with some tips from anybody who may have solved this previously.

Thanks so much for your help. Pinside has been such an amazing support network for repair, mods, game information, community and a place to share our crazy love for these rad games.

0BFFBA7A-2A37-4ECF-8E8A-454961EC1D22 (resized).jpeg0BFFBA7A-2A37-4ECF-8E8A-454961EC1D22 (resized).jpegAD1C4609-DABC-4F2A-9D57-23EBD847BBE8 (resized).jpegAD1C4609-DABC-4F2A-9D57-23EBD847BBE8 (resized).jpeg
#9643 4 years ago
Quoted from Blacksnow:

I apologize if this has been addressed already. I read through much of this post but have not found an exact match to my question.
The stage curtain on my Houdini Machine just stopped working. It did not show any sign of inconsistencies leading up to the all out failure of the device. Everything else regarding the stage works fine but the curtain will not open nor close. Is this a common issue? Not sure if there is much I can do. Some friends have mentioned I may need a whole new unit if that is broke due to all the calibrations. I’m hoping for the best here with some tips from anybody who may have solved this previously.
Thanks so much for your help. Pinside has been such an amazing support network for repair, mods, game information, community and a place to share our crazy love for these rad games.[quoted image][quoted image]

Sorry to hear it! Make sure you reach out to BarryJ or DanDanDAN so they can help you out. It is not that common, I can only remember one other person posting about the stage curtain, and that was more about how it works with the eject. Hope you can get it figured out!

#9644 4 years ago

Selling off my Houdini . People just don't realize how awesome this game is !!

Machine - For Sale
HUO - Documented (Home Used Only) - “HUO Houdini with art blades and shaker. Low plays. Great condition. Some pics have dust and the monkey pics have an artifact from a reflection . No visible flaws in this playf...”
2019-10-31
East Stroudsburg, PA
5,200 (OBO)
Archived after: 27 days
Viewed: 3207 times
Contributed to Pinside

#9645 4 years ago
Quoted from Blacksnow:

Thanks so much for your help. Pinside has been such an amazing support network for repair, mods, game information, community and a place to share our crazy love for these rad games.[quoted image][quoted image]

A friend had a similar issue, it would close, but not open. He is a long time distributor and couldn’t figure it out. He called Barry and got it fixed. I think it ended being the servomechanism. However, the best answer is to call API and get with Barry.

#9646 4 years ago
Quoted from Blacksnow:

#40 with a Jan-2018 build date, that's a really early one! My stage servo failed and I had to replace the whole stage unit, Barry shipped me a new one and I had to ship my old one back. Make sure you are running latest code, there was a version at one point (I think it was a Beta version I was testing) that exposed some additional calibration settings for the the door that apparently caused problems, those were removed in later builds.

#9647 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

#40 with a Jan-2018 build date, that's a really early one! My stage servo failed and I had to replace the whole stage unit, Barry shipped me a new one and I had to ship my old one back. Make sure you are running latest code, there was a version at one point (I think it was a Beta version I was testing) that exposed some additional calibration settings for the the door that apparently caused problems, those were removed in later builds.

Thanks so much. I do have that old software Version with the stage menu options. Haven’t used it though but I did see it in there.

I will try contacting API and see what can be done. Was hoping for an easier fix but I am just itching to get it back up and running I appreciate the help and responses. Such a great community on here.

#9648 4 years ago
Quoted from Blacksnow:

I will try contacting API and see what can be done. Was hoping for an easier fix but I am just itching to get it back up and running I appreciate the help and responses. Such a great community on here.

There really is no easier fix than contacting Barry. He can guide you through the trouble shooting more directly than anyone.

#9649 4 years ago
Quoted from Blacksnow:

No apology necessary. Please open a ticket - https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/ American Pinball works hard to be sure you get the most out of your game.

#9650 4 years ago

Open a Ticket at American pinball. I got the same pooblem with my Houdini 1045.

Servo worked for one Game and then vor Burned. Got an replacement and it worked now for more then 250 Games.

it looked Like a Bad batch of servos... Or that a little percentage is Not that good.

But think AP will Help you!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 193 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/193?hl=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.