20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 192 of 297.
#9551 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

me too... one second full power and next second half of the power, noticeable mainly on the left flipper.
Played another machine with no problems.... Maybe they had a beta code ord a meanwellpowersupply?
There must be a difference on the this and our machines.

With me it is the right flipper, usually once every time I play straight jacket with stacked multiball.

#9552 4 years ago

But in my Case it's the whole Ball Long... every 1-5 Seconds it changes the Flipperpower.

I'm not sure If I should buy a meanwell powersupply and test this one.

Or the machine i played Had a New Beta Code.

At the Moment It's very Strange and I hope it can be fixed cause i Like this game and don't Want to sell it.

#9553 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

But in my Case it's the whole Ball Long... every 1-5 Seconds it changes the Flipperpower.
I'm not sure If I should buy a meanwell powersupply and test this one.
Or the machine i played Had a New Beta Code.
At the Moment It's very Strange and I hope it can be fixed cause i Like this game and don't Want to sell it.

I dont think it's all power related.

I think its driver congestion/log jam.
Some operations are interrupting the instructions to the flippers.

More power can make a computer faster or more sprightly and handle a bigger load but, it's not the whole picture.

Maybe driver optimisation or faster memory, or faster computer.

#9554 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I dont think it's all power related.
I think its driver congestion/log jam.
Some operations are interrupting the instructions to the flippers.
More power can make a computer faster or more sprightly and handle a bigger load but, it's not the whole picture.
Maybe driver optimisation or faster memory, or faster computer.

This can happen with the 3d printer I have (Ender 3). The solution appears to be slightly slowing down some operations, which could apply in this case by allowing the flippers to override at all times, and always keeping the available power to a level that can tolerate continuous flips.

#9555 4 years ago

That was also an Idea. Maybe it helps to Gear Up the Computer like the Dialed in where it helped alot

#9556 4 years ago

Maybe a code update to celebrate it!
I'm still having a brief flipper drop/disconnect during heavy load periods.
It's not terrible but should be addressed at some point.

I absolutely love this game and I've been hesitant to post this because of that but it really does need a pretty significant code update. It does not seem to do a great or even adequate job of really tracking how many balls are in play, how many should be and correlating the two. It also should have some better logic with regards to certain events. I keep my game extremely well maintained and it's in my house not on route (never has been) but if I'm playing a marathon session, have league or friends over, etc. I will have to reset it at least once almost every time because something has happened where it's lost it's mind with regards to ball positions. When this happens I go into switch tests and everything shows and works as it should. Last night I have the third lock shot lit and purposely start Bullet Catch, drill the innner loop and it goes all the way to the ball lock instead of getting diverted and over to the trunk. Okay I get it that maybe the lane switch didn't register because it was a fast shot but the game knows it's in that lock and awards the increased multiplier like it normally would then launches a ball out of the scoop (without warning as always) and STDM. I possibly could have caught it but I was distracted wondering why my awesome shot did not award the beautiful chaos I had purposely tried to create. This is just an example, there should be some logic to handle these kinds of things, instead of awarding the bonus increase it could / should compensate and award the start of Bullet Catch and Multiball, most other games do these things and have for decades. Still love the game but this and the flipper dropping under load at times prevents me from ever really trusting it.

#9557 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I absolutely love this game and I've been hesitant to post this because of that but it really does need a pretty significant code update. It does not seem to do a great or even adequate job of really tracking how many balls are in play, how many should be and correlating the two. It also should have some better logic with regards to certain events. I keep my game extremely well maintained and it's in my house not on route (never has been) but if I'm playing a marathon session, have league or friends over, etc. I will have to reset it at least once almost every time because something has happened where it's lost it's mind with regards to ball positions. When this happens I go into switch tests and everything shows and works as it should. Last night I have the third lock shot lit and purposely start Bullet Catch, drill the innner loop and it goes all the way to the ball lock instead of getting diverted and over to the trunk. Okay I get it that maybe the lane switch didn't register because it was a fast shot but the game knows it's in that lock and awards the increased multiplier like it normally would then launches a ball out of the scoop (without warning as always) and STDM. I possibly could have caught it but I was distracted wondering why my awesome shot did not award the beautiful chaos I had purposely tried to create. This is just an example, there should be some logic to handle these kinds of things, instead of awarding the bonus increase it could / should compensate and award the start of Bullet Catch and Multiball, most other games do these things and have for decades. Still love the game but this and the flipper dropping under load at times prevents me from ever really trusting it.

Yep. All of that!

#9558 4 years ago

Yep. All of that!

Yep!

Has it been longer for POTC or Houdini? Both games still kick ass - both could use a little bit of polish. Houdini still bolted down!

#9559 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I am in the same boat. I have had a fair amount of resets , and it is always at the end of the game. Several times when I have already achieved all 7 letters of HOUDINI, and there is a mini-mode available . When I make the shot to start the mini-mode( most commonly the Jail hurry-ups), and avoid the shots that would start MM- disaster almost always follows with a reset.

IT is a great game and the one I play everyday, and I hate to jump on any airing of the grievances- that gets old quickly. I am somewhat comforted to hear others experiencing similar anomalies. I have always wondered how many balls are meant to be used in Trunk Multi-ball. 90% of the time I get 4, sometimes 3, and sometimes 2.I think when I first got the game it was 3, but after a few code updates- I am unsure.

#9560 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I am in the same boat. I have had a fair amount of resets , and it is always at the end of the game. Several times when I have already achieved all 7 letters of HOUDINI, and there is a mini-mode available . When I make the shot to start the mini-mode( most commonly the Jail hurry-ups), and avoid the shots that would start MM- disaster almost always follows with a reset.
IT is a great game and the one I play everyday, and I hate to jump on any airing of the grievances- that gets old quickly. I am somewhat comforted to hear others experiencing similar anomalies. I have always wondered how many balls are meant to be used in Trunk Multi-ball. 90% of the time I get 4, sometimes 3, and sometimes 2.I think when I first got the game it was 3, but after a few code updates- I am unsure.

I too experience some randomly added balls, but when you guys are saying “reset” do you mean that in the middle of a ball everything goes red and stops like the “end of ball” sequence once drained? I’m not getting a game reset. Just this weird end of ball thing. Everything seems to be working with the through mechanism, so I’m guessing it’s a software issue. It happens once in a while and rather randomly. I also get the occasional week flipper during some chaotic multi ball multi mode situations, but that’s not keeping me up at night. Game is exceptional and so I tend to overlook this for now, but I too am eager for an update if it remedies these issues. Still my favorite pin.

#9561 4 years ago

I don't think I've had the game do an actual reset on me in a long time, like several code revisions ago. When I say reset I mean I power cycle the game to get it back on track with regards to proper ball tracking, this may not always be necessary but especially if we're playing league or competition I'm doing so just to make sure because I have seen it carry over from game to game. My issues are mainly too many or not enough balls in play or the game not recognizing that a shot has been made. The scoop is definitely one of the biggest contributors to this or so it seems. For instance a couple days ago I had SEANCE MB going and down to two balls. I had one go in the Magic Shop Hole and nearly simultaneously I hit the scoop with the other. It ejected one ball out and continued in SEANCE MB with only one ball until I drained it then it ended the ball, scored bonus, etc. The next ball played fine. Clearly the switches in the scoop were working properly (again, I've fine tuned it more times than I can count) so they game should have been able to detect that only one ball was in play.

Trunk MB should always be three balls to start unless it's stacked with something else.

#9562 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I too experience some randomly added balls, but when you guys are saying “reset” do you mean that in the middle of a ball everything goes red and stops like the “end of ball” sequence once drained? I’m not getting a game reset. Just this weird end of ball thing. Everything seems to be working with the through mechanism, so I’m guessing it’s a software issue. It happens once in a while and rather randomly. I also get the occasional week flipper during some chaotic multi ball multi mode situations, but that’s not keeping me up at night. Game is exceptional and so I tend to overlook this for now, but I too am eager for an update if it remedies these issues. Still my favorite pin.

For me- the game just stops completely- lights out no screens, and the computer starts the re-boot process

#9563 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

For me- the game just stops completely- lights out no screens, and the computer starts the re-boot process

Most of my resets were fixed with the last code update and upgraded power supply.

But for some they still persist.

I'm curious if they are software or hardware related at this point.

In betting driver issues.

#9564 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

What code are
You on? Is this with 2 player games or just 1?

#9565 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

That was a dead short in my game. A wire got nicked in the ball loading area and it would randomly short out.
I noticed the spark watching looking thru the open coin door.

#9566 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What code are

I have v19.4.7 and it has done this in earlier updates as well. It has always happened in the end game at either 6 or 7 Houdini letters, weird.

#9567 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What code are

Whoops , I forgot to add- this has always occurred on single player games.

#9568 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I have v19.4.7 and it has done this in earlier updates as well. It has always happened in the end game at either 6 or 7 Houdini letters, weird.

Interesting. A way earlier update would do something similar when you hit the master magician mode, but it’s been months since that was fixed

#9569 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

Whoops , I forgot to add- this has always occurred on single player games.

I would open s ticket and maybe thank to barry.

API is really good about support.

#9570 4 years ago

Anyone else having issues with the sound. If I leave the game on for awhile, the sound will "shrink" and become tinny like if you've blown a speaker. Then after it's been off for awhile, it will be fine. I do have a powered subwoofer attached, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

#9571 4 years ago
Quoted from CoPinfan:

Anyone else having issues with the sound. If I leave the game on for awhile, the sound will "shrink" and become tinny like if you've blown a speaker. Then after it's been off for awhile, it will be fine. I do have a powered subwoofer attached, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

No. Never, and I too have a powered sub.

#9572 4 years ago
Quoted from CoPinfan:

Never heard of this either. This is the in-game sound, not just attract mode?

I’ve left my games on for a couple days and not had this happen

#9573 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

When it happens next, send me the logs and we can see if sheds any light.

#9574 4 years ago

How many Houdini owners on this thread have also purchased a Oktoberfest?

If so, was wondering how you feel that code "performs" compared to Houdini's most recent code, which hasn't been updated in awhile (4/7/19).

I too am hoping Rosh or possibly Ferret for more polish or optimization to the code.

My Houdini has some slowness getting the balls to come out after starting Seance Multiball (sometimes takes 10 seconds to get two more balls fired out onto the playfield). Used to be a lot quicker than that.

#9575 4 years ago
Quoted from CoPinfan:

Anyone else having issues with the sound.

I've never had that issue. I've got a Polk powered sub on mine. Maybe the amp is faulty. I believe that amp is really cheap to purchase. Maybe worth while just to get another one.

#9576 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

with regards to proper ball tracking

My son has been complaining about the ball tracking. I do see issues ever so often as well. Seems a little more testing and code tweaking might need to be done. We do have the latest code.

#9577 4 years ago

Hello.
I have a houdini pinball since 3 days. Everything worked fine the first day but now I have a problem. If the ball comes into the scene it gets stucked and no mission is being launched. I've tested the scene motor and everything works fine (open curtain, close curtain, captive ball up and down).
I've also tested the switch and they do work (front of stage, stage, back of stage, stage exit do react when I put my hand in front of them). But when in the game there is no reaction when the ball comes into the scene hole. I've tried with a paper and sometimes the curtain closes itself but very hardly and I need to try several times
Please help
Thank you

#9578 4 years ago
Quoted from pimseb:

Hello.
I have a houdini pinball since 3 days. Everything worked fine the first day but now I have a problem. If the ball comes into the scene it gets stucked and no mission is being launched. I've tested the scene motor and everything works fine (open curtain, close curtain, captive ball up and down).
I've also tested the switch and they do work (front of stage, stage, back of stage, stage exit do react when I put my hand in front of them). But when in the game there is no reaction when the ball comes into the scene hole. I've tried with a paper and sometimes the curtain closes itself but very hardly and I need to try several times
Please help
Thank you

I too have noticed that when I shoot a ball into the stage to start a mode , like Metamorphosis, the stage door will not close until after the onscreen introduction. Then I see the ball sitting on top of the captive ball start to descend as the stage door shuts.
Is this normal or was the function changed in the 4/2019 code?
I seem to remember the stage door always shutting first before on screen intro.

#9579 4 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I too have noticed that when I shoot a ball into the stage to start a mode , like Metamorphosis, the stage door will not close until after the onscreen introduction. Then I see the ball sitting on top of the captive ball start to descend as the stage door shuts.
Is this normal or was the function changed in the 4/2019 code?
I seem to remember the stage door always shutting first before on screen intro.

I just found out my mistake : I didn't know thé stage calibration option. Now everything works fine

#9580 4 years ago
Quoted from pimseb:

I just found out my mistake : I didn't know thé stage calibration option. Now everything works fine

Is that possibly my issue as well?

#9581 4 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Is that possibly my issue as well?

Maybe, its worth s shot to try it.

#9582 4 years ago
Quoted from pimseb:

I thought the stage/curtain adjustment/calibration option was removed in the last code update?

#9583 4 years ago

Got movie binge (didn't complete. Still needed 3 ramps.), stage bonus (3 million-ish, I had played milkcan mode last and had 4x playfield but I don't think it applied to the stage bonus), played master magician. Got to the "you have sixty seconds to prove you're a master magician" part with normal flippers and failed. Beefed it on orbits. Played bullet catch twice. Multiballs out th' ass. Returned from the dead. Still didn't see the jail escape mini-mode. Final bonus multiplier was 10x for 523k bonus. Some serious shit was goin' down. I didn't even swear at the game (much). Y'know what else was cool? On the stage shot for master magician it just sucks the ball down instantly with the curtain open. Rule list seemed a little intimidating. I thought it was the credits at first.

IMG_20191003_155006 (resized).jpgIMG_20191003_155006 (resized).jpg
#9584 4 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

Got movie binge (didn't complete. Still needed 3 ramps.), stage bonus (3 million-ish, I had played milkcan mode last and had 4x playfield but I don't think it applied to the stage bonus), played master magician. Got to the "you have sixty seconds to prove you're a master magician" part with normal flippers and failed. Beefed it on orbits. Played bullet catch twice. Multiballs out th' ass. Returned from the dead. Still didn't see the jail escape mini-mode. Final bonus multiplier was 10x for 523k bonus. Some serious shit was goin' down. I didn't even swear at the game (much). Y'know what else was cool? On the stage shot for master magician it just sucks the ball down instantly with the curtain open. Rule list seemed a little intimidating. I thought it was the credits at first.[quoted image]

Great game, isn’t it? I’ve started only doing the flippers double reversed during the escape act. Great practice for master magician. Actually getting better at it. Still suck, but less and less

#9585 4 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

Got movie binge (didn't complete. Still needed 3 ramps.), stage bonus (3 million-ish, I had played milkcan mode last and had 4x playfield but I don't think it applied to the stage bonus), played master magician. Got to the "you have sixty seconds to prove you're a master magician" part with normal flippers and failed. Beefed it on orbits. Played bullet catch twice. Multiballs out th' ass. Returned from the dead. Still didn't see the jail escape mini-mode. Final bonus multiplier was 10x for 523k bonus. Some serious shit was goin' down. I didn't even swear at the game (much). Y'know what else was cool? On the stage shot for master magician it just sucks the ball down instantly with the curtain open. Rule list seemed a little intimidating. I thought it was the credits at first.[quoted image]

Yeah the MM rules should pause per page and let you flip through them via the flippers.

I think that the open hole in the stage should be used more in the game. Maybe an escape or something.

I'd like to see more code refinement with things like this in mind.

The game has the potential to he one of the best!

Massive code update please.

The hobbit was utilitarian at best for 2 years. Now after the massive code update, its world class, really nice.

#9586 4 years ago

New code update (prediction) October 31 2019!

#9587 4 years ago
Quoted from Nick36:

New code update (prediction) October 31 2019!

Inspired guess

#9588 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Inspired guess

I'm guessing and betting with the anniversary of Houdini's death on October 31st, we shall be in for a great update code surprise with many great features on that day!

#9589 4 years ago
Quoted from Nick36:

I'm guessing and betting with the anniversary of Houdini's death on October 31st, we shall be in for a great update code surprise with many great features on that day!

I'm guessing when Rosh feels like it...

Ferret: Are you allowed to tinker with the Houdini code or is that Rosh's baby?

#9590 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I suppose I’m “allowed”, but it wouldn’t make much sense... I’ve never touched it, so the vision and code is all Josh.

#9591 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I'm guessing when Rosh feels like it...

Josh stated that he can only work on the game "in his spare time", which I took to understand that since Houdini is no longer manufactured, he's got other responsibilities right now. Would love to see some of those final things get worked out but it's all off the books

#9592 4 years ago

Finally got around to installing the EOS switches and knocker last night.

I also reset the settings to the “home” preset, where before I had customized a bunch of rules and coil settings (I can’t remember what preset I started from)

I played about 2 games, and suddenly the game rebooted! I checked my installation job and I don’t think that’s shorting or anything. But that only leaves the settings which caused the issue. Anybody have this happen too?

I just noticed I’m on the 3.24 beta code, so I’ll update to the latest first, but that was really surprising!

#9593 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Finally got around to installing the EOS switches and knocker last night.
I also reset the settings to the “home” preset, where before I had customized a bunch of rules and coil settings (I can’t remember what preset I started from)
I played about 2 games, and suddenly the game rebooted! I checked my installation job and I don’t think that’s shorting or anything. But that only leaves the settings which caused the issue. Anybody have this happen too?
I just noticed I’m on the 3.24 beta code, so I’ll update to the latest first, but that was really surprising!

Interesting.
Try updating to the current code and try again?

I'm on highly adjusted factory settings but, that shouldn't matter.

#9594 4 years ago

Interesting.
Try updating to the current code and try again?
I'm on highly adjusted factory settings but, that shouldn't matter.

I know, that’s what I thought. But I guess it’s possible there some combination of settings and gameplay that causes the reboot. I have NEVER seen the game reboot before, except once when I got to MM mode on early early code.

Most likely it’s the new stuff I added, obviously, but i don’t think it’s my installation - or at least I can not see any obvious shorts and I am certain I followed the directions.

#9595 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I know, that’s what I thought. But I guess it’s possible there some combination of settings and gameplay that causes the reboot. I have NEVER seen the game reboot before, except once when I got to MM mode on early early code.
Most likely it’s the new stuff I added, obviously, but i don’t think it’s my installation - or at least I can not see any obvious shorts and I am certain I followed the directions.

send me the logs

#9596 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

send me the logs

Yes sir!! I have not yet updated to the latest release (still apparently on the March 24 beta). I’ll remove the update so I can make sure the logs copy to the drive. Thanks josh !!

#9597 4 years ago

Update! Has not reoccurred, and I think it may have been related to my settings: once I set the knocker to “ mechanical “ in the menu, things seem more stable

#9598 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Update! Has not reoccurred, and I think it may have been related to my settings: once I set the knocker to “ mechanical “ in the menu, things seem more stable

Update 2: rock solid for
The past week. Got me excited enough to add a knocker to my MB too!

#9599 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Update 2: rock solid for
The past week. Got me excited enough to add a knocker to my MB too!

Great to hear its behaving again.

Still it points to evidence that drivers or something in the code has to be sorted out.

#9600 4 years ago

Great to hear its behaving again.
Still it points to evidence that drivers or something in the code has to be sorted out.

Yep, I am reasonably sure that this was just a conflict with the knocker installed but not activated. I didn’t send the logs to Josh yet though, and I can’t be certain what happened

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 192 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/192?hl=kdecgp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.