20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 191 of 297.
#9501 4 years ago

So after relaxing the holes and cleaning the catapult mech I had 12/13 test shots make it! Put the glass back on 4/6 shots made it with the ones missing hitting the front of the trunk. Do I shim the part of the catapult closest to the flipper with a washer so that part sits off the playfield?

#9502 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Hmm...mind taking a photo of the install if you get a sec so I can see where/how big?

I just cut the tape (see post 9455) to the same width as the guide (that I now see are a bit sloppy, oh well). You can see the ball track in the metal of the guide beyond the tape, so lower appears to be better.

Still hitting without obnoxious rejects. If the beginning and end points are critical to success, hitting that particular length was nothing more than serendipity on my part. However, I’d suggest matching what I did just in case.

Here’s the pictures.

3C660ABA-6E8C-43B6-85D5-6B33118E38BF (resized).jpeg3C660ABA-6E8C-43B6-85D5-6B33118E38BF (resized).jpeg62EFECC8-BA9D-4D79-A02A-68A53AD5CD9A (resized).jpeg62EFECC8-BA9D-4D79-A02A-68A53AD5CD9A (resized).jpeg
#9503 4 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

So after relaxing the holes and cleaning the catapult mech I had 12/13 test shots make it! Put the glass back on 4/6 shots made it with the ones missing hitting the front of the trunk. Do I shim the part of the catapult closest to the flipper with a washer so that part sits off the playfield?

Before doing that, if you haven’t already, try bumping up the power for the catapult one point at a time and see what that does. Weird that the glass makes a difference, assuming that the ball is not hitting the glass, which would also be weird.

#9504 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Before doing that, if you haven’t already, try bumping up the power for the catapult one point at a time and see what that does. Weird that the glass makes a difference, assuming that the ball is not hitting the glass, which would also be weird.

Going to 27 with the holes fixed makes the ball hit the ramp (first time it’s ever done that too! Before it used to just hit to the right of the trunk) unfortunately so I could loosen and redirect the catapult more to the left but it looks like it’s smack bang in the middle of the cutout. If I shim the bracket up closest to the flippers that should give the catapult a higher loft and hit more in the middle of the trunk?

#9505 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I just cut the tape (see post 9455) to the same width as the guide (that I now see are a bit sloppy, oh well). You can see the ball track in the metal of the guide beyond the tape, so lower appears to be better.
Still hitting without obnoxious rejects. If the beginning and end points are critical to success, hitting that particular length was nothing more than serendipity on my part. However, I’d suggest matching what I did just in case.
Here’s the pictures.[quoted image][quoted image]

Ah perfect thanks for this pic I was wondering exactly how you fixed it

#9506 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Here’s the pictures.[quoted image][quoted image]

I wonder if the same would help the Crystal Ball shot on WOZ, I always thought it was the spinner causing rejects but the two shots are very similar in geometry but Milkcan is much closer to the flippers and lanes.

#9507 4 years ago

Related to a discussion of Houdini production count on another thread, what's the highest serial number that any of the owners in this thread has? I know it's not mine because it was pretty early production.

#9508 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I just cut the tape (see post 9455) to the same width as the guide (that I now see are a bit sloppy, oh well)...

Thank you, sir!

I'll have to see if I can get that in gray.

#9509 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Thank you, sir!

Ha! The good news is that it is not visible to the player, but I do see your point. Does look like a civil war bandage in the photos.

#9510 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Ha! The good news is that it is not visible to the player, but I do see your point. Does look like a civil war bandage in the photos.

LOL, Looks fine. But I thought the white might show some ball marks after a while (like I hit that shot often ). What the heck, if gray is out there, I'll grab it, otherwise white or maybe black.

#9511 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Thank you, sir!

When I first got that material over 30 years ago, acquired by my brother who was a 3M engineer, we had gray. but it was thicker and had a more course texture. I don't think it would work as well.

#9512 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

When I first got that material over 30 years ago, acquired by my brother who was a 3M engineer, we had gray. but it was thicker and had a more course texture. I don't think it would work as well.

Thanks for the heads up, Platypus. Maybe it's changed since?

Looking on Amazon, there's a clear option. Wonder if it acts the same?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9513 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Looking on Amazon, there's a clear option. Wonder if it acts the same?[quoted image]

That looks cool. I note the tape I used was very thin, slightly bumpy and not the sandpaper-like footing tape for steps and the like. If this is of a similiar character as the white tape, it should be good.
My two cents...

#9514 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Looking on Amazon, there's a clear option. Wonder if it acts the same?[quoted image]

Yeah I couldn’t find it on amazon or anywhere for that matter.

#9515 4 years ago

Yeah I couldn’t find it on amazon or anywhere for that matter.

here you go: https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Walk-Shower-1-Inch-180-Inch-7640NA/dp/B000KKRJAY/ref=sr_1_8

3M Safety 7640

#9516 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

here you go: amazon.com link »
3M Safety 7640

I’m having trouble following this - is this the exact tape that was used in the photo a few
Posts up?

#9517 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’m having trouble following this - is this the exact tape that was used in the photo a few
Posts up?

See post 9455 for the tape I used. This may or may not be the same, but transparent. I’m guessing it is the same or something similar since the application is the same.

#9518 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

See post 9455 for the tape I used. This may or may not be the same, but transparent. I’m guessing it is the same or something similar since the application is the same.

I used this, which I bought at a True Value hardware store:

589BC2EF-C561-42E0-92EF-8B67A39956E5 (resized).jpeg589BC2EF-C561-42E0-92EF-8B67A39956E5 (resized).jpeg
#9519 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I used this, which I bought at a True Value hardware store:[quoted image]

Thanks for clarifying!

#9520 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Related to a discussion of Houdini production count on another thread, what's the highest serial number that any of the owners in this thread has? I know it's not mine because it was pretty early production.

I have seen some numbers in the low 400s. Havent seen or heard of any in the 500s. The numbers are associated with the back boxes and they didnt necessarily ship out in exact numerical order, by the way.

#9521 4 years ago

Code update soon?
It's been awhile...

#9522 4 years ago

I want a "Who says you can't take it with you" type meltdown when you get over 100k bonus. Even just reusing the "HOLY S#1T" callout would work. I know this ain't a heavily weighted bonus game but still. Yer in that post-mortem afterglow taking a sip knowing it's probably a huge bonus. Just a little extra tweak on the nipple. I used to think 20k was a big bonus.

Right now I'm in that area where I just waxed the playfield and the game is kicking my ass all over again. I had a movie binge where I completely beefed everything and died with no points. That was on a 2.5 million game. If I could've done anything I'd probably've busted that brand new GC by about a million. Thankfully I'm in my own house so nobody saw or heard me bein' all pissy and incredulous. Beer helped. Y'know how you start monologuin' when a game starts looking hopeful.

My favorite part of freshly waxing the pf is how many more ramps I hit as opposed to it rollin' halfway up and coming back to the left flipper. Shit's screamin' like a damn Steve Ritchie game. I'm also reiteratin' how useful the left orbit to neutral right flipper into the milkcan loop is. It ain't guaranteed but when you trust it and it melts into the loop settin' you up for an easy inlane into the ramp pf multiplier. BEAUTY

Is there a secret mission mini wizard mode if you complete all the combos? I've only done the first three missions. I like how if you complete on a magic target you have to requalify the scoop. Keeps me from cheesing it. Left target is definitely easiest.

I've got my extra balls set on 2 combos, 4 escapes and default everything else. I have had nine ball games. The King of Cards EB is damn near a gimme now. I've also finally hit the back ring after the EB. You have to throw the opposite hand to where it's coming from to even have a chance. I kinda wish there was a multiball cancel option from magic shop locks. Sometimes you just don't want to pop it yet.

Loving this game.

How about if in waterwheel if you hit the milkcan loop and rip the spinner it counts for double spins? I'm thinking of a bunch of different contextual milkcan combos. Like milkcan into seance gives you 2x seance jackpots. Maybe even milkcan clean into stage could be 3x mode? Milkcan into ball 3 lock could increase base jackpot.

#9523 4 years ago

(Whispering in Josh's ear... Code update?)

#9524 4 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

I want a "Who says you can't take it with you" type meltdown when you get over 100k bonus. Even just reusing the "HOLY S#1T" callout would work. I know this ain't a heavily weighted bonus game but still. Yer in that post-mortem afterglow taking a sip knowing it's probably a huge bonus. Just a little extra tweak on the nipple. I used to think 20k was a big bonus.
Right now I'm in that area where I just waxed the playfield and the game is kicking my ass all over again. I had a movie binge where I completely beefed everything and died with no points. That was on a 2.5 million game. If I could've done anything I'd probably've busted that brand new GC by about a million. Thankfully I'm in my own house so nobody saw or heard me bein' all pissy and incredulous. Beer helped. Y'know how you start monologuin' when a game starts looking hopeful.
My favorite part of freshly waxing the pf is how many more ramps I hit as opposed to it rollin' halfway up and coming back to the left flipper. Shit's screamin' like a damn Steve Ritchie game. I'm also reiteratin' how useful the left orbit to neutral right flipper into the milkcan loop is. It ain't guaranteed but when you trust it and it melts into the loop settin' you up for an easy inlane into the ramp pf multiplier. BEAUTY
Is there a secret mission mini wizard mode if you complete all the combos? I've only done the first three missions. I like how if you complete on a magic target you have to requalify the scoop. Keeps me from cheesing it. Left target is definitely easiest.
I've got my extra balls set on 2 combos, 4 escapes and default everything else. I have had nine ball games. The King of Cards EB is damn near a gimme now. I've also finally hit the back ring after the EB. You have to throw the opposite hand to where it's coming from to even have a chance. I kinda wish there was a multiball cancel option from magic shop locks. Sometimes you just don't want to pop it yet.
Loving this game.
How about if in waterwheel if you hit the milkcan loop and rip the spinner it counts for double spins? I'm thinking of a bunch of different contextual milkcan combos. Like milkcan into seance gives you 2x seance jackpots. Maybe even milkcan clean into stage could be 3x mode? Milkcan into ball 3 lock could increase base jackpot.

Ok wow that was a lot to read ..

Yes there is a secret mission mini wizard mode. Man it is hard to get

#9525 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

(Whispering in Josh's ear... Code update?)

He already said he’s basically working on it only in his spare time... so I would be equally grateful, but I’ve stopped asking; everybody deserves a break

#9526 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

He already said he’s basically working on it only in his spare time... so I would be equally grateful, but I’ve stopped asking; everybody deserves a break

Lol, yes I know, hence the whisper...

#9527 4 years ago

Lol, yes I know, hence the whisper...

Hahah gotcha

#9528 4 years ago

Has anyone had any issues with their white general illumination bulbs? All of them on my game are flickering or “power surging” after updating to the latest code. I have the updated power supply and the power going into the game is constant. This happens during gameplay and in test mode. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated!

#9529 4 years ago
Quoted from adborto:

Has anyone had any issues with their white general illumination bulbs? All of them on my game are flickering or “power surging” after updating to the latest code. I have the updated power supply and the power going into the game is constant. This happens during gameplay and in test mode. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated!

the GI lighting (5v) isn't powered off of the ps upgrade (48v). I have to imagine that it is a loose connector somewhere.

#9530 4 years ago
Quoted from adborto:

how did you connect the new PS? The wall nuts they send are not the greatest for the gauge of wire that has to be connected. You may be better off using a twist connector for the appropriate gauge (usually the small blue ones)

#9531 4 years ago

So I’ve filled in the holes, drilled and screwed the bracket down, I’ve also raised near where the arm is on the catapult wish a washer and set the coil power to 27. I think I had one miss in approx 20 or 30 test and thus far one miss in game BUT that was during seanse and man from beyond so EVERYTHING was going nuts. Fingers crossed! Really enjoying this game!

#9532 4 years ago

So I’ve filled in the holes, drilled and screwed the bracket down, I’ve also raised near where the arm is on the catapult wish a washer and set the coil power to 27. I think I had one miss in approx 20 or 30 test and thus far one miss in game BUT that was during seanse and man from beyond so EVERYTHING was going nuts. Fingers crossed! Really enjoying this game!

When everything is running at once, the catapult will still miss. It's normal and infrequent.

But it happens.

This is why I think an even higher wattage power supply, than what is provided in the upgrade, might be needed.

That being said. Houdini works as well or better than a lot of games out there.

#9533 4 years ago

Yeah it’s definitely been a frustrating road to here but it’s making the shot during “normal” play so I’m very happy with that! It was just frustrating until now because I hadn’t moved the C target and that shot was just so hard to hit regularly.

Josh has absolutely nailed the code on this one and Barry’s support is awesome.

#9534 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

how did you connect the new PS? The wall nuts they send are not the greatest for the gauge of wire that has to be connected. You may be better off using a twist connector for the appropriate gauge (usually the small blue ones)

This has been addressed in previous posts. I found the wall nuts to be worthless so see my post #9289 for my solution. Others have done it differently.

#9535 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

This has been addressed in previous posts. I found the wall nuts to be worthless so see my post #9289 for my solution. Others have done it differently.

Ah. A “I connected them securely” would also suffice

#9536 4 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

Loving this game.

Sounds like you are giving Houdini a thorough workout. I have never topped 3 missions in a game in more than a year of ownership. The stage encore is best I can get.

#9537 4 years ago

Sold my Houdini but still a full set of Cliffys left.

For sale in Europe incl. shipping for 95 EURO.

#9538 4 years ago

After a year of ownership you’d think you’d be able to beat the first game you every played on your machine? Nope! Still haven’t cracked it yet and that game was 1.9mil... come on I’ve got to do it!

#9539 4 years ago

I often get an extra ball up by the pops and don't have a clue why. I just played a first ball in a game and lost it at 17,000 but managed the extra ball, why (or how)?

#9540 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I often get an extra ball up by the pops and don't have a clue why. I just played a first ball in a game and lost it at 17,000 but managed the extra ball, why (or how)?

You are probably earning one for reaching a certain bonus x value, I think factory settings award it at 7x but that can be adjusted in the settings.

#9541 4 years ago

My stage spotlight flasher bulb is dead. Is that a generic bulb I can get on a pinball website or something specialized?

#9542 4 years ago

Mine kept acting like there was a short in it, but I just swapped the bulb and it works all the time now.

And yes you can get them many places.

#9543 4 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

My stage spotlight flasher bulb is dead. Is that a generic bulb I can get on a pinball website or something specialized?

Quoted from BarryJ:

G.I are running off of 5V
Spotlights are 12V

Barry's key post #5966
12v for flasher.

#9544 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's not just the flippers. The kickout from the right scoop is still very inconsistent. Sometimes the ball dribbles out, other times it rockets out. Has to be something to do with the board set/software.

Yesterday i played the Houdini which is in the Showroom of pinball universe.

This Game worked perfect. Full coil Power the whole time. And they told me they Had the Power supplyfix and the Last Gamecode in it.

#9545 4 years ago

Did anyone ever get the Pingraffix Houdini backglass lite up mod?
Teased earlier in year, then at a few shows.
But nothing since.

#9546 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Did anyone ever get the Pingraffix Houdini backglass lite up mod?
Teased earlier in year, then at a few shows.
But nothing since.

WOW, I forgot about that. Release it, Joe!

#9547 4 years ago

Anybody have news?

This Halloween will mark the 93rd anniversary of his unfortunate passing...

#9548 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Anybody have news?
This Halloween will mark the 93rd anniversary of his unfortunate passing...

Maybe a code update to celebrate it!

I'm still having a brief flipper drop/disconnect during heavy load periods.

It's not terrible but should be addressed at some point.

#9549 4 years ago

Maybe a code update to celebrate it!
I'm still having a brief flipper drop/disconnect during heavy load periods.
It's not terrible but should be addressed at some point.

me too... one second full power and next second half of the power, noticeable mainly on the left flipper.

Played another machine with no problems.... Maybe they had a beta code ord a meanwellpowersupply?
There must be a difference on the this and our machines.

#9550 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

me too... one second full power and next second half of the power, noticeable mainly on the left flipper.
Played another machine with no problems.... Maybe they had a beta code ord a meanwellpowersupply?
There must be a difference on the this and our machines.

Mine doesn’t have this issue often, but VERY rarely when there’s a lot going on, I’ll feel it a tiny bit (also left flipper I think too). I thought i read something Josh posted about how maybe it was related to how the P-ROC was being used (not sure if that meant how the software for the game was written, or something with a driver, not sure)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 191 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/191?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.