20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 190 of 297.
#9451 4 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Had a great game on houdini tonight. Finally got around it moving the C target to the left and whoa Nellie what a difference that makes I can now consistently hit that inner loop shot and not have it rattle around and dribble back down! Catapult is still not hitting though. I don’t think it’s made it in the last 50 throws although it is hitting the same spot now with the upgraded power supply... I’m trying to find the definitive instructions but the thread is so long and is super frustrating!

Physically rotate the catapult mech. Loosen the 4 mounting screws and twist it.

If that's not quite enough, elongate the holes in the mounting bracket to give you a little more adjustment.

See my posts on this, if fully documented at this point with pictures I think mostly...

#9452 4 years ago

Has anyone had issues where the ball disappears in the milk can shot only to reject? I can hit the shot somewhat consistently enough but just seem to get rejection after rejection. Do I need to bend the rail on the right somewhat I’m kind of baffled as to why the ball is rejecting after going well past the start of the plastic

Bend the flatrail so it's not as extreme of a bend.

You can also loosen the flipper bats and droop or lower them 1/8" from the factory setting.

Many shots are easier with the flippers drooped slightly.

#9453 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Where is it hitting? I assume you've tried adjusting the strength in settings, what is it currently set at?

It’s landing on the ramp at the moment. I’ve tried elongating the holes and moving it around too not much luck. It’s either on 26 or 27.

#9454 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Bend the flatrail so it's not as extreme of a bend.
You can also loosen the flipper bats and droop or lower them 1/8" from the factory setting.
Many shots are easier with the flippers drooped slightly.

It’s not that the shot is difficult it just rejects when I do hit it. I feel like the ball goes around the curve and then spins back up or maybe hits the guide rail on the right and comes back up.

#9455 4 years ago

It’s not that the shot is difficult it just rejects when I do hit it. I feel like the ball goes around the curve and then spins back up or maybe hits the guide rail on the right and comes back up.

About an hour ago I tried that tape that was suggested (post 9096, I think - picture included here). I installed a small piece, didn’t adjust the scoop at all, and my rejects virtually went away. I was having about 50-60 % reject, and now I’m at virtually zero. Thanks!!!

4A525FA5-9F12-47C3-A3B7-97D4D986C6D1 (resized).jpeg4A525FA5-9F12-47C3-A3B7-97D4D986C6D1 (resized).jpeg
#9456 4 years ago

Physically rotate the catapult mech. Loosen the 4 mounting screws and twist it.
If that's not quite enough, elongate the holes in the mounting bracket to give you a little more adjustment.
See my posts on this, if fully documented at this point with pictures I think mostly...

I’m searching this thread for just your posts. They should really be a sticky so they can be easily found or even their own separate thread.

Quoted from zahner:

About an hour ago I tried that tape that was suggested (post 9096, I think - picture included here). I installed a small piece, didn’t adjust the scoop at all, and my rejects virtually went away. I was having about 50-60 % reject, and now I’m at virtually zero. Thanks!!![quoted image]

Did you just install the tape and no bending?

#9457 4 years ago

Did you just install the tape and no bending?

No bending

#9458 4 years ago

The catapult looks straight in the hole

A180D515-A4B6-4430-A10E-2AA29E5C2A90 (resized).jpegA180D515-A4B6-4430-A10E-2AA29E5C2A90 (resized).jpeg
#9459 4 years ago

Just bent the lower catapult and tested 10x and well I’m astonished to say it went it 10x in a row! I bent the opposite way the instructions said too. I pushed to the outside of the cabinet rather than the inside, I was missing right all the time. Now I hope to see an improvement from my measly 40% (I doubt it was that high) success rate!

DA11DAC5-DB21-422A-927B-25CB029731CE (resized).jpegDA11DAC5-DB21-422A-927B-25CB029731CE (resized).jpeg
#9460 4 years ago

Just played a game and I think 1/3 went it so a little more adjusting needed

#9461 4 years ago

The catapult looks straight in the hole[quoted image]

It's slightly crooked, very slightly.
Must be perfect, as a starting point.

It must make the trunk 20 times in a row during test. Then it's considered good enough for now.

#9462 4 years ago

Just played another game and it missed all 3x to the right lol... more adjustments!

#9463 4 years ago

Just played another game and it missed all 3x to the right lol... more adjustments!

If it's missing to the right and centered, lower the power one notch.

If it still doing it, twist to the left 1/16" or less, no more.

High power generally goes rigjt.
Low power bounces off the lip and goes left or centered somewhat.

Ideally the ball should make the trunk slightly to the right of center in tests.

In game settings vary from test settings.

Generally I had to adjust power up slightly and twist left to get it right.

Ultimately it will be fairly consustsnt.

#9464 4 years ago

Had a great game on houdini tonight. Finally got around it moving the C target to the left and whoa Nellie what a difference that makes I can now consistently hit that inner loop shot and not have it rattle around and dribble back down! Catapult is still not hitting though. I don’t think it’s made it in the last 50 throws although it is hitting the same spot now with the upgraded power supply... I’m trying to find the definitive instructions but the thread is so long and is super frustrating!

Do a search on the word dremel in the thread. That should get you to the post explaining how to widen three or four holes in the metal coil bracket which gives you some aiming capability for the catapult.

#9465 4 years ago

Here is my 2 cent on the lower catapult. Mine was hitting very well, and then right after I raised the playfield for some cleaning ,and played the next game the ball was falling short. So I increased the power by 1 and it would sometimes hit the chest or overshoot to the right. I could compensate by holding both flipper buttons when the ball was in the catapult and it would hit the chest. I did this for a month or more and was satisfied, until I purchased the solenoid knocker and during the installation of the 48 volt wires in the wall nut that I noticed that just moving the wallnut that a wire would come loose.The one in question looked like the stranded wire was folded in half, so I tugged on the remaining wires, so my surprise, they all came out rather easily. I tinned the ends of wires and put in back in the nut, but was not thrilled with this as the solution. I decided to install the terminal blocks recommended in Post # 9228 by konjurer , and am very happy with the connections. I tested the settings and dropped the strength back down and the ball is consistently going into the center of the chest.

#9466 4 years ago

So I made a slight adjustment to the catapult again tonight and tested. 18/20x the shot is made! So then I go and play some games and it starts missing again to the right. I’m guessing it has to do with one of the screws holes being stripped and not holding it properly. But in saying that the shot is being made 90% of the time in test!

#9467 4 years ago

So I made a slight adjustment to the catapult again tonight and tested. 18/20x the shot is made! So then I go and play some games and it starts missing again to the right. I’m guessing it has to do with one of the screws holes being stripped and not holding it properly. But in saying that the shot is being made 90% of the time in test!

Stuff the stripped hole with 2 or 3 small pieces of toothpick 3/8" long) or bamboo skewer and a drop of titebond glue.

The screw will tighten up. Try not to strip it out again on reassembly, it will dry good as new or better.

Lower the strength 1 notch if it's going right.

Monitor the voltage at the wall.
Houdini doesnt like voltage lower than 115v, even with the upgraded supply.

#9468 4 years ago

Visited Krakow Pinball Museum tonight. No Houdini, but a perfect Cactus Canyon and working Banzai Run. Unlimited play for 10USD.

20190820_215958 (resized).jpg20190820_215958 (resized).jpg20190820_202141 (resized).jpg20190820_202141 (resized).jpg20190820_202241 (resized).jpg20190820_202241 (resized).jpg20190820_202203 (resized).jpg20190820_202203 (resized).jpg
#9469 4 years ago

Stuff the stripped hole with 2 or 3 small pieces of toothpick 3/8" long) or bamboo skewer and a drop of titebond glue.
The screw will tighten up. Try not to strip it out again on reassembly, it will dry good as new or better.
Lower the strength 1 notch if it's going right.
Monitor the voltage at the wall.
Houdini doesnt like voltage lower than 115v, even with the upgraded supply.

I’ve got 240V so one would hope I never get that low in voltage but I understand that a 5v+/- will change things. I think I might do that to all the holes as one of the others feels a little slack too

#9470 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Visited Krakow Pinball Museum tonight. No Houdini, but a perfect Cactus Canyon and working Banzai Run. Unlimited play for 10USD.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is the coolest space I have ever seen!

#9471 4 years ago

...Houdini doesnt like voltage lower than 115v, even with the upgraded supply.

That's odd, it should be good down to 100V.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9473 4 years ago

I monitored my voltage for a couple weeks.

Set the variac to 1 volt lower than my lowest recorded voltage.

Adjusted all of my settings to play good at that limit

Game was pretty solid.

#9474 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

That's odd, it should be good down to 100V.[quoted image]

One would absolutely think so.

But I think that the voltage fluctuations come with current fluctuations.

Lower current at good voltage causes erratic solenoid performance here at least.

#9475 4 years ago

I hate to state the obvious, but have you spoken to the people at American Pinball? Before you go down all these different roads, I’d give them a call. Whenever I’ve had an issue, which honestly was very rare and much more minor than any of this stuff, they were very helpful with me. Just a thought.

#9476 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I hate to state the obvious, but have you spoken to the people at American Pinball? Before you go down all these different roads, I’d give them a call. Whenever I’ve had an issue, which honestly was very rare and much more minor than any of this stuff, they were very helpful with me. Just a thought.

I haven’t no only because I’m in Australia and the time difference makes it a little hard. I’ve either got to call at midnight or somewhere between 6 and 8am when I’m headed to work. This is really the only issue I’ve got with the game and I seriously enjoy Houdini when it’s firing on all cylinders. I just hate making that inner loop shot when film is ready and lock is lit only to have the catapult miss and the film mode not start. It’s dissappointing. Although moving the C target had made that shot a boat load easier

#9477 4 years ago

I haven’t no only because I’m in Australia and the time difference makes it a little hard. I’ve either got to call at midnight or somewhere between 6 and 8am when I’m headed to work. This is really the only issue I’ve got with the game and I seriously enjoy Houdini when it’s firing on all cylinders. I just hate making that inner loop shot when film is ready and lock is lit only to have the catapult miss and the film mode not start. It’s dissappointing. Although moving the C target had made that shot a boat load easier

You might be able to arrange a call when some of the AP guys are at a pin show. I hung out with Barry at ClePin last year. Most were gone, so it was a very pleasant time shooting the breeze for a few during a low key moment very late in the evening. Being an electrical engineer, and Barry is too - was fun trading some EE war stories.

I agree w/Zah's comment above - don't go on a wild goose chase. That can lead to more frustration for no reason. AP's a bunch of great guys (and gals) - let the experts lend a hand.

#9478 4 years ago

As I mentioned earlier though I tested 20x and all but 2x went in and they shot left when they did. But during gameplay it seems to be hit and miss. I might record several games and record the voltage too just to see what happens.

#9479 4 years ago

As I mentioned earlier though I tested 20x and all but 2x went in and they shot left when they did. But during gameplay it seems to be hit and miss. I might record several games and record the voltage too just to see what happens.

I think your very close to sorting it out.

Shooting left is low power generally.
Shooting right is high power.

Ideally the ball should end up just right of center if properly adjusted.

This leaves some room for variation.

I spent weeks on it.

It's just a fine adjustment sometimes.

But power fluctuations do affect it.

The upgraded power supply helps a lot, but it's not petfect.

I have a variac but it's not attached right now.

I've had a few misses since unplugging it. But not many.

#9480 4 years ago

I think your very close to sorting it out.
Shooting left is low power generally.
Shooting right is high power.
Ideally the ball should end up just right of center if properly adjusted.
This leaves some room for variation.
I spent weeks on it.
It's just a fine adjustment sometimes.
But power fluctuations do affect it.
The upgraded power supply helps a lot, but it's not petfect.
I have a variac but it's not attached right now.
I've had a few misses since unplugging it. But not many.

Yeah I’m thinking a video and throwing it up on YouTube so I can show Barry what’s going on. Are there any fine adjustments on the power supply?

#9481 4 years ago

Ok just played a game and had 4x catapult shots missed voltage ranged from 235-241V all in he span of playing 1x game. All hit approximately the same spot to the right too. Catapult was set the 26 in the settings. First shot with catapult set to 25 hit the face of the trunk.

Pulled the bracket towards the outside of the cabinet and tested balls hit lip of trunk and go in... voltage ranges from 235 to 239 and set to 26. When set to 27 will either just miss to the right or hit high and go in.

Catapult 27
1 237.5v in middle
2 237.4v in right edge
3 237.5v in middle
4 239.5v in middle
5 238.7v in middle
6 238.1v in middle
7 237.2v in middle
8 235.7 in back
9 236v in middle
10 236.4v in middle
11 238v in middle
12 237.1v in middle
13 238.5v in middle back
14 237.2 in middle
15 238v in middle
16 239v in middle
17 241v in middle
18 239v in middle
19 238.3v in middle
20 238.2v in middle

Well no missing over 20 shots and you can see the voltage has a 5v swing from top to bottom and is ALL over the shop in however long it takes to throw the ball and the come back out of the scoop so probably 6 minutes to do the 20x tests

Now to test in game...

#9482 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Barry at AP provides FANTASTIC support. Definitely a resource that should be tapped.

#9483 4 years ago

In game 1st catapult shot 238v shot right!! All that changed was that I put the fking glass on!! 2nd and 3rd catapult shot 239v misses right! Same again during 4th attempt miss right 239v

Changed catapult to 26
1st in game attempt goes in...
2nd attempt in...
3rd off he face at 240v

Frustrating to say the least!

#9484 4 years ago

I haven’t no only because I’m in Australia and the time difference makes it a little hard.

Send Barry an e-mail he will be happy to arrange a convenient time to talk or he may be able to help you in e-mails

[email protected]

#9485 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Send Barry an e-mail he will be happy to arrange a convenient time to talk or he may be able to help you in e-mails
[email protected]

Yeah I emailed him letting know what I’ve posted in here and other things too

#9486 4 years ago

In game 1st catapult shot 238v shot right!! All that changed was that I put the fking glass on!! 2nd and 3rd catapult shot 239v misses right! Same again during 4th attempt miss right 239v
Changed catapult to 26
2nd attempt in...
3rd off he face at 240v

This is what caused me to put on the variac.

#9487 4 years ago

... All that changed was that I put the fking glass on!...

OK, that's weird. I guess Magic Glass really is magic.

#9488 4 years ago

This is what caused me to put on the variac.

But as you can see with all the varying voltage changes and glass off the catapult made 20x in a row! Put glass on miss, miss what!!!!

#9489 4 years ago

Changed catapult to 26
2nd attempt in...
3rd off he face at 240v

So the obvious question, but have to ask anyway just to eliminate it...is the ball hitting the glass? Duh!

#9490 4 years ago

Yeah I emailed him letting know what I’ve posted in here and other things too

I am Answering your email now.

#9491 4 years ago

Spoke with Barry this morning it’s always a pleasure. I’m going to repack the holes to get a better screw hold, clean the mech and see what happens from there. Fingers crossed really love the game!

#9492 4 years ago

try setting the game to 220v

#9493 4 years ago

Hi guys – my question could very well be answered in the discussion above but would rather ask for your opinion than start messing with stuff.

The shot from the lower catapult is just slightly hitting the left ramp making the ball ricochet to the left and missing the trunk. It is so barely doing it that you have to watch so very closely to even see that that is what is happening.

If I pull over the ramp to the right even 1/16” it makes the shot 100% of the time. The distance and their trajectory seems spot on. I hate to mess with the power of the catapult or even bending the mechanism. It’s a matter of the left ramp.

Doesn’t look like there’s any way I can bend the ramp over. What do you guys think? Any solutions? Thanks. Larry

39DBC57E-15D6-4F96-B05E-9D3421D61A38 (resized).jpeg39DBC57E-15D6-4F96-B05E-9D3421D61A38 (resized).jpeg
#9494 4 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Hi guys – my question could very well be answered in the discussion above but would rather ask for your opinion than start messing with stuff.
The shot from the lower catapult is just slightly hitting the left ramp making the ball ricochet to the left and missing the trunk. It is so barely doing it that you have to watch so very closely to even see that that is what is happening.
If I pull over the ramp to the right even 1/16” it makes the shot 100% of the time. The distance and their trajectory seems spot on. I hate to mess with the power of the catapult or even bending the mechanism. It’s a matter of the left ramp.
Doesn’t look like there’s any way I can bend the ramp over. What do you guys think? Any solutions? Thanks. Larry[quoted image]

I've not had that problem but in general for a lot of people too much power and the ball goes to the right so at least try knocking it down one step in the settings and see that you get. If that doesn't work I believe you may be able to get enough adjustment room by loosening the three main supports and holding it to the right while re-tightening them.

#9495 4 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

...Doesn’t look like there’s any way I can bend the ramp over. What do you guys think? Any solutions? Thanks. Larry[quoted image]

You can't just loosen the ramp, shove it a bit to the side, and retighten?

#9496 4 years ago

I’ll be embarrassed and so very happy if that’s the solution. Really studied the ramp but didn’t figure there would be any play under of the screws. Duh. Maybe!

#9497 4 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

I’ll be embarrassed and so very happy if that’s the solution. Really studied the ramp but didn’t figure there would be any play under of the screws. Duh. Maybe!

Itll move a tiny bit, but lowering the power 1 notch might also work.

#9498 4 years ago

Its fine.

7A6116FD-9304-4713-AD7B-F0E6195CF6F4 (resized).jpeg7A6116FD-9304-4713-AD7B-F0E6195CF6F4 (resized).jpeg
#9499 4 years ago

Ha ha. Both solutions worked great. There was much more play after loosening the screws than I thought. And I lowered power down 2 down notches. 8/8 test shots. Thanks guys!

#9500 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

About an hour ago I tried that tape that was suggested (post 9096, I think - picture included here). I installed a small piece, didn’t adjust the scoop at all, and my rejects virtually went away. I was having about 50-60 % reject, and now I’m at virtually zero. Thanks!!![quoted image]

Hmm...mind taking a photo of the install if you get a sec so I can see where/how big?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 190 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/190?hl=dandandan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.