20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 189 of 297.
#9401 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Thinking about Josh’s post where he said he can only work on the game during his free time.. does that mean AP is done supporting it?

Certainly no different than Stern. Lyman completes code on his own time. Stern takes years. To come up with badly needed code for Ghostbusters and GOT. I think the code is already much more mature than the average Stern. I waited a long, long time for KISS code to come out. There was basic functionality missing for years. So I’m pretty happy with API on the code situation.

#9402 4 years ago

You all are hoping for more code updates whereas I am just hoping there's a fix for the flipper issue.

#9403 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I somewhat agree.
Master magician mode should only occur after all mini wizard modes have been played or completed and all letters awarded.
A couple letters can be Rerouted for the completion of the mini wizard modes instead of a couple of the lesser goals..
This way there is nothing left to do and the game can end.
Ending the game early has a dual effect.
Either you are left unfulfilled, or you want to play again.
Being exhausted and unfulfilled is not where you want it to end. It leads to frustration and anger.
Not fun.
The final mode could be awarded much like earning all the emeralds in WOZ, after SOTR there is nothing left to see, the game can end there.

I ended up incrementally increasing the number of completions to earn HOUDINI letters. After a dozen or so games I have now balanced things to the point that I almost always finish all of the various modes before amassing all the letters and entering Master Magician. It is still set easy enough for me to earn extra balls so I have a shot at getting everything done - which happens with enough frequency to give me hope.
Ultimately, I have achieved pinball serenity and a very Zen-Houdini balance.

#9404 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

That is the key, to find that spot in settings that presents a real challenge, but that on occasion you can get there.

The setup below should give this balance to a lot of owners. Basically wants you to play most if not all of the modes. It also makes it likely that to get to Master Magician you would have the chance to play movie binge and earn the encore bonus. On the secondary objectives, you don't have to get the killer mission. I would also have all EBs available. In next release you will be able to earn a second letter on the fifth mission and the fifth escape. I would enable those for the setup below.

stage: 5, 10
movies: 5
Escapes: 4 (3 if on hard)
Magic shop: 5 (this is a little lower for the first, but second one is not available)
Missions: 3 (although with newer code maybe 4)
MBs on default settings

#9405 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I ended up incrementally increasing the number of completions to earn HOUDINI letters. After a dozen or so games I have now balanced things to the point that I almost always finish all of the various modes before amassing all the letters and entering Master Magician. It is still set easy enough for me to earn extra balls so I have a shot at getting everything done - which happens with enough frequency to give me hope.

Great advise!

#9406 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

That is the key, to find that spot in settings that presents a real challenge, but that on occasion you can get there.
The setup below should give this balance to a lot of owners. Basically wants you to play most if not all of the modes. It also makes it likely that to get to Master Magician you would have the chance to play movie binge and earn the encore bonus. On the secondary objectives, you don't have to get the killer mission. I would also have all EBs available. In next release you will be able to earn a second letter on the fifth mission and the fifth escape. I would enable those for the setup below.
stage: 5, 10
movies: 5
Escapes: 4 (3 if on hard)
Magic shop: 5 (this is a little lower for the first, but second one is not available)
Missions: 3 (although with newer code maybe 4)
MBs on default settings

Thanks for the starting tips.

#9407 4 years ago

First off I really like this machine. Like it so much I bought the shaker and cliffy set.

Unfortunately I am having some serious issues with lifting the playfield. Apparently I wasn't the first one because one of the previous owners bent the yellow rails almost to a point trying to pull it out. When I lift the playfield and pull forward it gets stuck liek it is hitting something. I can eventually get it pulled out but I have to lift the playfield off the rail to do so. I am clearly missing something and have seen a couple others struggle with this. Any thoughts on what could be wrong (maybe even user error)?

Thanks

#9408 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

First off I really like this machine. Like it so much I bought the shaker and cliffy set.
Unfortunately I am having some serious issues with lifting the playfield. Apparently I wasn't the first one because one of the previous owners bent the yellow rails almost to a point trying to pull it out. When I lift the playfield and pull forward it gets stuck liek it is hitting something. I can eventually get it pulled out but I have to lift the playfield off the rail to do so. I am clearly missing something and have seen a couple others struggle with this. Any thoughts on what could be wrong (maybe even user error)?
Thanks

can you post a video? The playfield is not fixed to anything, it's just riding on top of the rails. Something may have been bent if the previous owner was too rough

#9409 4 years ago

Has anyone else had issues with the small LCD screen on the playfield above the theater? Mine's gone out. Doesn't show anything (not on boot or anything else) Verified power at black/yellow lines going into display board 11.89vdc at the pins on the display board. I asked AP for assistance and they sent me a document to reseat the ribbon cable edge connector, which I followed and got nothing. Also reseated the video input cables. Is there anything else to try? It's on location and not earning.. :/

#9410 4 years ago
Quoted from creech927:

Has anyone else had issues with the small LCD screen on the playfield above the theater? Mine's gone out. Doesn't show anything (not on boot or anything else) Verified power at black/yellow lines going into display board 11.89vdc at the pins on the display board. I asked AP for assistance and they sent me a document to reseat the ribbon cable edge connector, which I followed and got nothing. Also reseated the video input cables. Is there anything else to try? It's on location and not earning.. :/

I have had it black out momentarily, but not go out fully. That ribbon cable reseat is next to impossible to do right. I had the screen swapped out. Can you check the other end of the video cables to see if they are still connected?

#9411 4 years ago
Quoted from creech927:

There's a few connections for the video cable going to the small screen (3 total). One at the screen, one in the cabinet where it hooks to an extender, and one at the actual computer in the head, check all three of them. Also, I ended up replacing the cheap cable it came with going from the computer to the connection in the cabinet with a VGA cable I had laying around and never had a problem since.

#9412 4 years ago

I have a tiny piece of gorilla tape holding my ribbon cable in place. Somehow, that Red Green solution actually worked. It was finicky during the winter but I haven't had an outage since March. I don't know if it'll start acting up again when the temperature starts goin' back down. It used to start off with a pure white screen then take a couple hard shots to the stage to "tune in". Now it just works by the grace of the pinball gods.

An issue I'm starting to notice is my stage alley is getting real rattly if you ain't clean. The ball jumped up in that area right underneath the ramp. I've had to tighten down that entire plastic on the alley/key lane. It had gotten super loose.

In better news, I figured out if I hit a super fast and clean left orbit and let the ball bounce off the neutral right flipper It'll sometimes float nice and easy through the milkcan loop. If it doesn't, the ball isn't crazy wild and you can safely regain control (most times). I'm finding loop passes to be a major move for a lot of shots like the combos and Q film mode. The right orbit feeds SDTM if you do nothing with the left flipper.

I've hit a couple cool milestones. I got the seance super jackpot legit. I didn't realize I was about to get it until the last shot and had a ball trapped on each flipper. I've gotten the trunk super twice in one multiball. I thought it was going to be a double super but it was still awesome. There should be something where you load the trunk three times in a row like Terminator 2. Had a kick ass 2x bullet catch where I got the jackpot up to 90k, so with the doubler it was 180k for every hit up in the key lane. That was a 2 million point mode just with the standard two ball deal in less that 2 minutes.

#9413 4 years ago

Noticed these weird lightning bugs on the playfield when cleaning today. Also spotted The Babe in the far corner of right blade art. He is harder to see than Capone or Tesla. Anyone know who this beauty in white is or the freaky little dude?

20190811_163030 (resized).jpg20190811_163030 (resized).jpg20190811_163137 (resized).jpg20190811_163137 (resized).jpg20190811_163143 (resized).jpg20190811_163143 (resized).jpg20190811_163454 (resized).jpg20190811_163454 (resized).jpg20190811_163439 (resized).jpg20190811_163439 (resized).jpg
#9414 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Noticed these weird lightning bugs on the playfield when cleaning today. Also spotted The Babe in the far corner of right blade art. He is harder to see than Capone or Tesla. Anyone know who this beauty in white is or the freaky little dude?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I don't think it's Billie Holiday or Ella Fitzgerald. Hmm.

#9415 4 years ago

Had some people over yesterday and noticed the game resets if left on for awhile. Also did a reset during the first ball of a friend’s game. This the power issue I’m hearing about?

#9416 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Had some people over yesterday and noticed the game resets if left on for awhile. Also did a reset during the first ball of a friend’s game. This the power issue I’m hearing about?

I've never had this problem even after leaving the game on for hours. Usually it's just me and the wife so the game doesn't get constant play the whole time though.

#9417 4 years ago
Quoted from creech927:

If you are still having trouble??

#9418 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Yeah, have definitely never had reset issues even before the power supply upgrade. Might want to give Barry a call and do some troubleshooting with him.

#9419 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Just adding to the chorus- it’s not the issue being discussed. In fact, I do not recall anyone having this issue. Call API

#9420 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Have left the game on for 3-day stretches and I’ve never had this issue. Just had a mega-party and it was on for 28 hours

#9421 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Have left the game on for 3-day stretches and I’ve never had this issue. Just had a mega-party and it was on for 28 hours

Man, now I have two reasons prompting me to wish I lived in VA - 28 hour mega-party with pinball,and the impeccable sounding Pinball Magic you have for trade/sale!

#9422 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Noticed these weird lightning bugs on the playfield when cleaning today. Also spotted The Babe in the far corner of right blade art. He is harder to see than Capone or Tesla. Anyone know who this beauty in white is or the freaky little dude?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

My best guess on the female is Josephine Baker.

#9423 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

My best guess on the female is Josephine Baker.

I think you nailed it! She was french and would have been around 20 at the time.

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg
#9424 4 years ago

I thoroughly cleaned the flipper switches and coil sleeves, but my right flipper still spazzes in inverted straitjacket mode with stacked multiball. It will get momentarily stuck in the down position and vibrates there. Odd.

#9425 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I thoroughly cleaned the flipper switches and coil sleeves, but my right flipper still spazzes in inverted straitjacket mode with stacked multiball. It will get momentarily stuck in the down position and vibrates there. Odd.

I've been calling it flipper collapse. Happens when modes are stacked and tons of light effects.

Code work around should correct it on next update.

#9426 4 years ago

I hated this game when I first encountered it in league, because that game was very short and I could just about count my score on my fingers. But then had the good fortune the other day of going to a nearby location with four credits already loaded on Houdini.

After close to an hour playing, and starting to get the hang of the tight shots, I went over to WH20 next. Felt like I could drive a truck up the mountain ramp. Scored a lot better than normal. I think I found a new pre-league warmup game.

#9427 4 years ago
Quoted from jfre81:

I hated this game when I first encountered it in league, because that game was very short and I could just about count my score on my fingers. But then had the good fortune the other day of going to a nearby location with four credits already loaded on Houdini.
After close to an hour playing, and starting to get the hang of the tight shots, I went over to WH20 next. Felt like I could drive a truck up the mountain ramp. Scored a lot better than normal. I think I found a new pre-league warmup game.

Yes, Houdini is a great batting cage prior to going to home plate. It will make you a better player. I think i first said this a year ago.

#9428 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yeah, have definitely never had reset issues even before the power supply upgrade. Might want to give Barry a call and do some troubleshooting with him.

I recall triggering some unexpected resets when I accidentally hit the start button with my knee during an in progress game. Was sitting on a stool.

#9429 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I recall triggering some unexpected resets when I accidentally hit the start button with my knee during an in progress game. Was sitting on a stool.

I can try that to see what happens. Though it wouldn’t explain it resetting all by itself.

#9430 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I can try that to see what happens. Though it wouldn’t explain it resetting all by itself.

Have you checked your wall power? Maybe power going from high to low then high again?

Just an idea.

#9431 4 years ago

My new GC. I've been making sure to play at least a half hour a day after work for about three weeks. This game went from 200k to 3.9 million from an incredible 2x bullet catch with trunk multiball then extending it with seance. My new goal is beating all modes in one game. I've gotten to the last mode once but died ignominiously. I'm finding the best way to hit the right flipper is on the edge of the button nearest to the backbox. Somehow that slips it into the sweet spot. I also love the key target shot to open the stage in one shot. Love it. It's kinda like that grill bonus shot on Diner.

IMG_20190810_190510 (resized).jpgIMG_20190810_190510 (resized).jpg
#9432 4 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

My new GC. I've been making sure to play at least a half hour a day after work for about three weeks. This game went from 200k to 3.9 million from an incredible 2x bullet catch with trunk multiball then extending it with seance. My new goal is beating all modes in one game. I've gotten to the last mode once but died ignominiously. I'm finding the best way to hit the right flipper is on the edge of the button nearest to the backbox. Somehow that slips it into the sweet spot. I also love the key target shot to open the stage in one shot. Love it. It's kinda like that grill bonus shot on Diner.[quoted image]

This is the second time I’ve heard the word ignominiously used today. Great score!

#9433 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Have you checked your wall power? Maybe power going from high to low then high again?
Just an idea.

Might have been the powerstrip I had it on. Haven’t really tested yet but that’s my main suspect. Thanks.

#9434 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Might have been the powerstrip I had it on. Haven’t really tested yet but that’s my main suspect. Thanks.

Yes, it's been noted that pinball machines dont like power strips or long extension cords.

Plug directly into the wall, 6 or 10ft cord only.

#9435 4 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

grill bonus shot on Diner.

"I'll have the hot dog and a root beer!"

"Man, you're too slow!"

"Get lead out!"

"Another Houdini letter!"

Lol, these call outs are part of our daily lives now hahaha!

Diner is one of my favorite games.

#9436 4 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

My new GC. I've been making sure to play at least a half hour a day after work for about three weeks. This game went from 200k to 3.9 million from an incredible 2x bullet catch with trunk multiball then extending it with seance. My new goal is beating all modes in one game. I've gotten to the last mode once but died ignominiously. I'm finding the best way to hit the right flipper is on the edge of the button nearest to the backbox. Somehow that slips it into the sweet spot. I also love the key target shot to open the stage in one shot. Love it. It's kinda like that grill bonus shot on Diner.[quoted image]

I still have to learn the rules a little better and get modes stacked. Without it, I'm just grinding my way to 600K instead of scoring in the millions.

League this week put me leading off on Houdini with Diner two games later. Never made that connection, but yeah it's pretty much the same shot. That you mention it, he lock ramp is pretty similar to the right ramp/cup shot. Location-wise, similar tightness, and hitting them makes the difference between a great scoring game and a mediocre one in either game.

#9437 4 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

I love the way the crowd goes wild when you are killing it on bullet catch.

#9438 4 years ago

My favorite is Indian Needle because I love doing spinner rips lol

Has anyone seen any of the Houdini films referenced in the game?

#9439 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

killing it on bullet catch.

What I like about bullet catch it can be a very tough mode to 'set up' with having to make the inner loop to load the gun/catapult and then hit the moving arrow to lock in the value before git gets too low, and combining that with the strategy of having that second jackpot shot be an easy to make one vs the first jackpot shot of the inner loop. If you can lock that high jackpot value with the right second jackpot shot it can really pay off.

Quoted from Rascal_H:

My favorite is Indian Needle because I love doing spinner rips lol

I go for the pops early in Needles, to hopefully hit the key target a couple of times and increase the shot value. Then rip the spinner. On Oktoberfest we took that further with FüD Frenzy, where each unique switch you hit increases the shot value, so 'playing the field' at the start of the mode is the way to go before going for the spinner.

#9440 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Has anyone seen any of the Houdini films referenced in the game?

Rosh has!! LOL

#9441 4 years ago

Here is Haldane for the brave of heart:

Houdini Haldane (resized).jpgHoudini Haldane (resized).jpg
#9442 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Here is Haldane for the brave of heart:
[quoted image]

Thanks, I’m gonna try to watch of these days.

I love whoever that woman is that they got to do the movie introductions. I can’t see that pic without hearing her voice.

#9443 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Thanks, I’m gonna try to watch of these days.
I love whoever that woman is that they got to do the movie introductions. I can’t see that pic without hearing her voice.

Me too!! Funny, there was a lot of complaining about that early on

#9444 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This is the second time I’ve heard the word ignominiously used today. Great score!

This was the first time I have heard the word- I had to look it up.

#9445 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I love the way the crowd goes wild when you are killing it on bullet catch.

This is one of my favorite acts- love to get this one going with a multiball, this mode with the knocker is great.

#9446 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I have had a few resets, but it has always been at the end of the game. Almost always it involves getting the last letter of Houdini and completing the jail hurry ups. I will l capture the logs and send in to the the pros look over- i am just speculating. Today got the Movie Binge and then got the last letter, no issues.Did not even come close in MM. I may have to change my play and start cradling the balls- most times with all the balls in play it is just keep everything going and hope for the best. I am usually just looking at the flippers and not the targets in all the chaos.

#9447 4 years ago

Had a great game on houdini tonight. Finally got around it moving the C target to the left and whoa Nellie what a difference that makes I can now consistently hit that inner loop shot and not have it rattle around and dribble back down! Catapult is still not hitting though. I don’t think it’s made it in the last 50 throws although it is hitting the same spot now with the upgraded power supply... I’m trying to find the definitive instructions but the thread is so long and is super frustrating!

#9448 4 years ago

Has anyone had issues where the ball disappears in the milk can shot only to reject? I can hit the shot somewhat consistently enough but just seem to get rejection after rejection. Do I need to bend the rail on the right somewhat I’m kind of baffled as to why the ball is rejecting after going well past the start of the plastic

#9449 4 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Had a great game on houdini tonight. Finally got around it moving the C target to the left and whoa Nellie what a difference that makes I can now consistently hit that inner loop shot and not have it rattle around and dribble back down! Catapult is still not hitting though. I don’t think it’s made it in the last 50 throws although it is hitting the same spot now with the upgraded power supply... I’m trying to find the definitive instructions but the thread is so long and is super frustrating!

Where is it hitting? I assume you've tried adjusting the strength in settings, what is it currently set at?

#9450 4 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Has anyone had issues where the ball disappears in the milk can shot only to reject? I can hit the shot somewhat consistently enough but just seem to get rejection after rejection. Do I need to bend the rail on the right somewhat I’m kind of baffled as to why the ball is rejecting after going well past the start of the plastic

Mine was doing that a lot. I pulled and bent the ball guide a bit and also added some thin rubber material which works great. This solved the problem. see post #9096

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 189 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/189?hl=viperjelly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.