20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 187 of 297.
#9301 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Mine was rock solid when I got it. After about 30 plays it was missing short and found out it was related to my AC running all the time lowering my house voltage a bit. I bumped it up from a 26 to a 27 on coil strength and it would miss left. Pretty sad I have to make sure my AC is not running for it to play right but there is no setting between 26 and 27 to find a happy medium.

Do you have the upgraded powersupply? Sorry...didn't go back to check prior posts.

#9302 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Do you have the upgraded powersupply? Sorry...didn't go back to check prior posts.

Not sure if I do or not. I'm guessing I don't since the seller I bought it from never mentioned it.

#9303 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Not sure if I do or not. I'm guessing I don't since the seller I bought it from never mentioned it.

If not, it's worth the upgrade, for sure.

#9304 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

That will go a long way toward addressing your catapult issues. Some owners have had to make additional adjustments, but this is the simplest way to address it. Makes the game play way better as well

#9305 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Mine was rock solid when I got it. After about 30 plays it was missing short and found out it was related to my AC running all the time lowering my house voltage a bit. I bumped it up from a 26 to a 27 on coil strength and it would miss left. Pretty sad I have to make sure my AC is not running for it to play right but there is no setting between 26 and 27 to find a happy medium.

Do you have the updated power supply? Is the air conditioner on the same circuit as the pinball machine? I use line conditioners on dedicated lines to ensure 120volts

#9306 4 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Do you have the updated power supply? Is the air conditioner on the same circuit as the pinball machine? I use line conditioners on dedicated lines to ensure 120volts

Sounds like I need the updated power supply, not sure if AC is on same circuit.

#9307 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I think all houdini's will benefit from the upgraded supply.

It doesnt solve everything, but takes care of a lot of difficult issues.

Also adding the EOS switches helps a lot.

#9308 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Look for this guy in the bottom of the cabinet. That's the new one.

Oops... hit the button too soon. See below.

#9309 4 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Without out the regulated supply, any variation in line voltage will translate into a change in the 48V voltage supply. If the mains drop 10%, so will the 48V. The new supply is what they call 'buck-boost'. If the main voltage droops or increases, the new power supply will still main a constant voltage (within reason).

#9310 4 years ago

Aghhh what

Quoted from manadams:

Mine is missing left n right. So not a matter of being short.

#9311 4 years ago

I think there is a bug when playing "movie binge", the mission starts multiball but after losing 2 balls, I continue the mission with a single ball.
Is this normal?
Another bug, when you cancel the video animation of the escape missions, there are no longer the corresponding sounds then playing the mission

#9312 4 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

I think there is a bug when playing "movie binge", the mission starts multiball but after losing 2 balls, I continue the mission with a single ball.
Is this normal?
Another bug, when you cancel the video animation of the escape missions, there are no longer the corresponding sounds then playing the mission

Losing sounds happens a lot if you cancel out animations.

Sometimes the sound comes back. Sometimes it doesn't, or comes back on the next ball.

#9313 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Aghhh what

Mine is missing left n right. So not a matter of being short.

Low power usually misses left.
High power usually misses right.

I put the game on a variac to correct this.

But currently the variac is disconnected. The upgraded power supply seems to correct this behavior well enough.

My power changes throughout the day from 113v to 121v continuously.

All of my games are affected.
New, old, it doesn't matter.

I have my WOZ on a variac set to 115v and adjusted the game to play well at that power.

Plays very good now.

#9314 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

La perte de sons se produit souvent si vous annulez des animations.
Parfois, le son revient. Parfois, ce n'est pas le cas ou revient à la balle suivante.

Thank you, and for the "movie binge" mode, is it a bug to play this mission in a single ball?

#9315 4 years ago

La faible puissance manque généralement à gauche.
Haute puissance manque généralement bien.
Je mets le jeu sur un variac pour corriger cela.
Mais actuellement, le variac est déconnecté. L’alimentation améliorée semble corriger ce comportement assez bien.
Mon pouvoir change tout au long de la journée de 113v à 121v en continu.
Tous mes jeux sont affectés.
Nouveau, vieux, peu importe.
J'ai mon WOZ sur un variac réglé à 115v et ajusté le jeu pour bien jouer à cette puissance.
Joue très bien maintenant.

With the new power supply, it is much more stable but from time to time, we feel a slight drop in power in the drummers.
Hoping that the next code defines these small problems

#9316 4 years ago

Nobody to explain me the rules of the mod mini wizard "movie binge" ?

#9317 4 years ago

Low power usually misses left.
High power usually misses right.
I put the game on a variac to correct this.
But currently the variac is disconnected. The upgraded power supply seems to correct this behavior well enough.
My power changes throughout the day from 113v to 121v continuously.
All of my games are affected.
New, old, it doesn't matter.
I have my WOZ on a variac set to 115v and adjusted the game to play well at that power.
Plays very good now.

So get this, I dropped the coil setting to 26 and ball is now making it. In test at 27 I notice the ball was hitting the plastic ramp. When I dialed it down to 26 it slightly hits the plastic ramp but makes the trunk. Anyone else notice this???

#9318 4 years ago

Hello,
I really think that the mode mini wizard mode "movie" has problems.
I tested by hand and I played the mission in a ball.
Sometimes it's a multiball, sometimes it's a ball, the mission has no stopwatch and stops only when there is no more ball, the screen of the theater indicated another mission ,,,, everything is weird

#9319 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Alors comprenez ça, j'ai baissé le réglage de la bobine à 26 et la balle est en train de le faire. En test à 27 ans, j'ai remarqué que le ballon frappait la rampe en plastique. Lorsque je l'ai abaissé à 26, il heurte légèrement la rampe en plastique, mais crée le coffre. Quelqu'un d'autre le remarque ???

Move the catapult slightly to the right, like this, the ball will no longer hit the ramp and everything will work well.

#9320 4 years ago

someone has news of the next code?

#9321 4 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Hello,
I really think that the mode mini wizard mode "movie" has problems.
I tested by hand and I played the mission in a ball.
Sometimes it's a multiball, sometimes it's a ball, the mission has no stopwatch and stops only when there is no more ball, the screen of the theater indicated another mission ,,,, everything is weird

What code version are you on? Something is definitely up with your game

#9322 4 years ago

Hello, I have the latest code 19.4.7.
Everything else seems to work properly.
If anyone can explain this mission to me, how much ball does it play? how does it end?

#9323 4 years ago

Another question, during the multibill seance, drummers on some shots are less powerful, is this normal compared to this mode or is it due to the known problem?
I play with the power 29 left and 27 right and except during this mode SEANCE, the rest of the time, the drummers work very well. By cons, if I lower the power, I have random losses of power.
It is not dangerous for the power supply to play at 29 and 27?
I specify that everything else works perfectly.

#9324 4 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Another question, during the multibill seance, drummers on some shots are less powerful, is this normal compared to this mode or is it due to the known problem?
I play with the power 29 left and 27 right and except during this mode SEANCE, the rest of the time, the drummers work very well. By cons, if I lower the power, I have random losses of power.
It is not dangerous for the power supply to play at 29 and 27?
I specify that everything else works perfectly.

27/29 settings should be ok, but you may risk breaking some plastics or the ramp if it’s too powerful

#9325 4 years ago

Joined the club today. What an amazing game! No issues at all except the milkcan shot doesn’t seem to be registering. Blew it up on like my fifth game and got 1.9M. Absolutely superb game, this one’s a keeper!
1A644729-2ED8-46D2-A713-4F0FC01F291A (resized).jpeg1A644729-2ED8-46D2-A713-4F0FC01F291A (resized).jpegDA00F068-71EA-4C3B-A44F-13017F9FDD61 (resized).jpegDA00F068-71EA-4C3B-A44F-13017F9FDD61 (resized).jpeg512722EE-9B98-49C7-A26F-8AB7E4935C3D (resized).jpeg512722EE-9B98-49C7-A26F-8AB7E4935C3D (resized).jpegD6B736BB-DFB4-4710-9C7F-3B170496617F (resized).jpegD6B736BB-DFB4-4710-9C7F-3B170496617F (resized).jpeg

#9326 4 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

someone has news of the next code?

crickets

#9327 4 years ago

They seem to be working on Oktoberfest at the same time. I don’t know if it’s both Ferret and Josh who are working on Houdini, or just Josh

#9328 4 years ago

Joined the club over the weekend. Beautiful game and so much fun. It’s the only game I’ve ever had where it plays better with longer legs in the front. Is that how others have the game set up? I think the guy I bought it from had them all at the lowest setting.

#9329 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Joined the club over the weekend. Beautiful game and so much fun. It’s the only game I’ve ever had where it plays better with longer legs in the front. Is that how others have the game set up? I think the guy I bought it from had them all at the lowest setting.

huh? Do you mean you have it basically flat?

Joe Balcer designed the game to play more like at about 6 degrees, which would be where all your levelers are screwed all the way up. (assuming you have a flat floor), but this feels a little 'floaty' to most players. Many of us have it set to about 6.2 or so - screw the levelers all the way up, then take the rear legs out about 5-8 threads

#9330 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

huh? Do you mean you have it basically flat?
Joe Balcer designed the game to play more like at about 6 degrees, which would be where all your levelers are screwed all the way up. (assuming you have a flat floor), but this feels a little 'floaty' to most players. Many of us have it set to about 6.2 or so - screw the levelers all the way up, then take the rear legs out about 5-8 threads

Yeah, I’ll play around with it a bit. It’s playing pretty good but when I had the back up higher it seemed like I was getting a lot of rejects on the right ramp. Could be my flipper cool strength too. Thanks!

#9331 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Yeah, I’ll play around with it a bit. It’s playing pretty good but when I had the back up higher it seemed like I was getting a lot of rejects on the right ramp. Could be my flipper cool strength too. Thanks!

The ramp definitely takes some getting used to - you have to hit it higher up on the flipper than most other games, and as a result it can help to have higher flipper strength. But if you make it TOO strong, you'll get rejects Get the game levelers all the way in, then raise it like I mentioned above. Then you can play with the flipper strength - I believe everybody has raised both flippers a point or two, but you do have to dial in your own game specifically

#9332 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The ramp definitely takes some getting used to - you have to hit it higher up on the flipper than most other games, and as a result it can help to have higher flipper strength. But if you make it TOO strong, you'll get rejects Get the game levelers all the way in, then raise it like I mentioned above. Then you can play with the flipper strength - I believe everybody has raised both flippers a point or two, but you do have to dial in your own game specifically

My flippers are up 2 from factory.
Ramp is hard to make, but doable. Pitch is 6.15 average.

I'm working out stage rejects still.

Too high of a flipper power and everything works really good except for the stage rejects.

I keep going back and forth on this.

#9333 4 years ago

My flippers are up 2 from factory.
Ramp is hard to make, but doable. Pitch is 6.15 average.
I'm working out stage rejects still.
Too high of a flipper power and everything works really good except for the stage rejects.
I keep going back and forth on this.

direct stage shots, or do you go through the alley lane? I tend to shoot for the alley lane and they land in and stay in the stage effectively

#9334 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

direct stage shots, or do you go through the alley lane? I tend to shoot for the alley lane and they land in and stay in the stage effectively

Shots from the alley are dead on and stick.

Direct shots are problematic.
If they are deflected shots they go in pretty good.

Direct, centered shots bounce out 75% of the time.

I was working on a shock absorbing pad for the rear of the stage but that has only yielded partial results.

It's much like a newly restored IJ.
IJ mode start shots without modification on a newly clearcoated game is near 100% rejected.

So I'm still thinking of modifications for the stage.

#9335 4 years ago

My pinball is set to 6.4 .... power drummers 29 and 27 ... it avoids feeling too much power loss drummers (pending the future code)

#9336 4 years ago

Shots from the alley are dead on and stick.
Direct shots are problematic.
If they are deflected shots they go in pretty good.
Direct, centered shots bounce out 75% of the time.
I was working on a shock absorbing pad for the rear of the stage but that has only yielded partial results.
It's much like a newly restored IJ.
IJ mode start shots without modification on a newly clearcoated game is near 100% rejected.
So I'm still thinking of modifications for the stage.

Yep, exactly. I modded my IJ to remove the ball guard, and installed the Pinbits dead bounce foam. Worked absolutely perfectly.

#9337 4 years ago

Was it already a known thing that if you hit the ramp again after the milkcan multiplier combo it will increase to the next level without hitting the milkcan loop again? I just noticed that while playing today. I'm going to add it to my strategy.

Also, dudes mentioned using zip ties to prevent airballs from getting stuck behind the seance planchette and the milkcan. Any tips on placement?

#9338 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Will try it that way - thanks.

Just had my first game that I feel pretty good about.

C1E46ED4-1DE6-410A-B089-5AB93B4CEABC (resized).jpegC1E46ED4-1DE6-410A-B089-5AB93B4CEABC (resized).jpeg
#9339 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Will try it that way - thanks.
Just had my first game that I feel pretty good about.[quoted image]

Yeah, that's a pretty good one.

#9340 4 years ago

I'm thinking my new strategy is playing Elephant mode like it's the second level of Milkcan mode.

#9341 4 years ago

...Direct shots are problematic...

I honestly don't have that problem. I think I'm at 6.5ish degrees. Can't recall the flipper strength right off hand. Nails it every time with a direct shot. Don't even give it a second thought - maybe the stage design changed in some way, or it's slightly different.

#9342 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I honestly don't have that problem. I think I'm at 6.5ish degrees. Can't recall the flipper strength right off hand. Nails it every time with a direct shot. Don't even give it a second thought - maybe the stage design changed in some way, or it's slightly different.

With default flipper power and 6.5 pitch, stage rejects are a bit less in my experience also.

#9343 4 years ago

Plays much better using Rdoyle1978 suggestions.

Loving this game so much! Got to Master Magician for the first time. There was a hilarious amount of text on the screen telling me what I was supposed to do. Think I got a cramp from having my arms crossed for so long. So fun!

#9344 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

The AC is not on the same circuit, that is a 220v load.

I have solar electric on my house and on sunny day the voltage is almost 10 volts higher than at night when I am drawing power. The original power supply is wonky with voltage variation. The PS upgrade is regulated and constant. I have nearly 600 games with hardly a miss. the power supply also has a pot screw which allows you to tweak the 48V up of down a bit. I think I am at 49.8V

#9345 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Plays much better using rdoyle1978 suggestions.
Loving this game so much! Got to Master Magician for the first time. There was a hilarious amount of text on the screen telling me what I was supposed to do. Think I got a cramp from having my arms crossed for so long. So fun!

holy crap that was fast! They've been improving Master magician, but still a ways to go... I think the text is a placeholder, but I always take it like a joke as in "how am I supposed to read all that?!"

#9346 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

holy crap that was fast! They've been improving Master magician, but still a ways to go... I think the text is a placeholder, but I always take it like a joke as in "how am I supposed to read all that?!"

One last thing I want to check is the number of extra balls I’m being awarded. I think I got like 3 extra balls on ball one. Too many! Lol

I like the humor in the game... magicians hat shout outs to Spooky, JJP, and Stern.

#9347 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

The AC is not on the same circuit, that is a 220v load.
I have sclar electric on my house and on sunny day the voltage is almost 10 volts higher than at night when I am drawing power. The original power supply is wonky with voltage variation. The PS upgrade is regulated and constant. I have nearly 600 games with hardly a miss.

I'm not an electrician, but I think the pin could be on 1/2 the 220v line. If I'm not mistaken, the 220 coming into the house is bi-phase (or two phase), meaning two 110V lines out of phase 180 degrees. Think of it as a 220V center tapped transformer, with the center tap grounded. So each output would be 110V and out of phase with each other. 1/2 of the house runs on one 110V, the other 1/2 house is on the other phase. The big loads (like the AC or stove) then uses both lines for 220V. If that's the case, then his pin power supply could be affected.

Maybe if there's any electricians out there, they can chime in.

#9348 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I'm not an electrician, but I think the pin could be on 1/2 the 220v line. If I'm not mistaken, the 220 coming into the house is bi-phase (or two phase), meaning two 110V lines out of phase 180 degrees. Think of it as a 220V center tapped transformer, with the center tap grounded. So each output would be 110V and out of phase with each other. 1/2 of the house runs on one 110V, the other 1/2 house is on the other phase. The big loads (like the AC or stove) then uses both lines for 220V. If that's the case, then his pin power supply could be affected.
Maybe if there's any electricians out there, they can chime in.

I am an electrician and your description is completely right, but a circuit is considered a wire run back to the main panel and on a single breaker. It is highly unlikely that 110 loads share the same circuits as 220 loads. They are however on the same house service. If the service feeder wires are long or undersized or if you have large intermittent loads you are likely to see voltage drop during heavy loads (like the AC running).

I see the opposite effect with my solar array, during the day I have little or no load and my array is producing power causing my voltage to rise, while at night I have lighting loads and no production and can measure my house voltage as much as 10 volts less. This affected my pinball play. The regulated power supply is a good solution.

#9349 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I am an electrician and your description is completely right, but a circuit is considered a wire run back to the main panel and on a single breaker. It is highly unlikely that 110 loads share the same circuits as 220 loads. They are however on the same house service. If the service feeder wires are long or undersized or if you have large intermittent loads you are likely to see voltage drop during heavy loads (like the AC running).
I see the opposite effect with my solar array, during the day I have little or no load and my array is producing power causing my voltage to rise, while at night I have lighting loads and no production and can measure my house voltage as much as 10 volts less. This affected my pinball play. The regulated power supply is a good solution.

Ah..OK. I see what you were after. I read it as "separate 110v and 220v lines, so the 110 isn't affected by the 220."

I was assuming the lines ran back to the breaker panel (loads not shared), and that the mains coming into the house would droop some under load.

This is what happens when electrical engineers and electricians try to converse. . Almost the same language, but not quite. LOL

Your solar array would make an interesting read in another post (if you haven't posted about it already).

#9350 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

One last thing I want to check is the number of extra balls I’m being awarded. I think I got like 3 extra balls on ball one. Too many! Lol
I like the humor in the game... magicians hat shout outs to Spooky, JJP, and Stern.

You can earn up to 9 extra balls. Settings allow you to set the limit lower, and make it harder to earn them. IF you reach MM mode, you lose any extra balls you have pending.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 187 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/187 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.