20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 185 of 297.
#9201 4 years ago

Mbwalker,
Thanks for info. I just double checked packaging and no luck. I will email Nirmal. Thanks.

#9202 4 years ago
Quoted from Tokkentakker:

Mbwalker,
Thanks for info. I just double checked packaging and no luck. I will email Nirmal. Thanks.

I believe Barry can also help you out with that. I just found mine after having installed the power supply months ago - magic glass time baby! I just wish there were more
Mods to install.. I would love to spruce up the game more but it’s so nice just out of the box!

#9203 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I wouldn't think that has an impact since the LED's run off the lower voltage power supply. At least from the flipper 48V perspective. it shouldn't.

Yet, Josh seemed to think that the problem could come from the LEDs and the control system.

#9204 4 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Yet, Josh seemed to think that the problem could come from the LEDs and the control system.

Hmm...interesting. Wonder if the lights are dragging down a 5V (or whatever they run on) line, and that's causing an issue somewhere (i.e. timing, reference voltage, trip point, etc.).

#9205 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Hmm...interesting. Wonder if the lights are dragging down a 5V (or whatever they run on) line, and that's causing an issue somewhere (i.e. timing, reference voltage, trip point, etc.).

I think it's not a power issue but rather, lost pulses somewhere in the data chain.

Intetference that causes the flippers to lose communication.

Possibly needs a firmware update. If so then it's difficult to address.

Might need to hook the PROC to a PC to flash it etc.

#9206 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I think it's not a power issue but rather, lost pulses somewhere in the data chain.

Hope that would be the easiest way. Would do it instant if i get the firmware
So now I'm 4 weeks in canada and maybe if I'm back I can upgrade houdini

#9207 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Hope that would be the easiest way. Would do it instant if i get the firmware
So now I'm 4 weeks in canada and maybe if I'm back I can upgrade houdini

I agree, it's easy for me, but for others it could be difficult.

#9208 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:Do you have the eos switches installed? I love the stage finale, but you can set the level of the stage letter award to be 10. That way, you don't get a letter till you play them all. The stage finale would still happen after the letter is awarded. By the way, can you increase the stage finale score by hitting the red flashing targets before sinking the ball in the stage? Its not clear what to do there. MM mode instructions are not that helpful. I shot a video of them. Just shoot all the flashing colors and keep at least 2 balls rolling. And if you are lucky, get a trunk multiball during the mode.

I can not put 10 in the menu, it seems that 5 is the maximum for the number of mission to obtain a letter.

#9209 4 years ago

Why connect to a PC? by an update, it is not possible?

#9210 4 years ago

OK, that makes sense. Can't say I've ever seen that issue, might be dumb luck on my end.

#9211 4 years ago

And now it would be could to know which Houdini buildnumbers are affected by this phenomenon.
Maybe only a small part is affected.

My Buildnumber is 1407

#9212 4 years ago

Me the N ° 1521 but beware, I have not yet received the EOS and the second food!
So everyone is not concerned by this problem?

#9213 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

And now it would be could to know which Houdini build numbers are affected by this phenomenon.
Maybe only a small part is affected.
My Buildnumber is 1407

If it really is some dropped bits, probably better to look at the S/N of the computer or driver board, maybe not so much the S/N of the pin. Just speculating. AP's guru will sort it out. Looking for missing bits in a data stream is out of our hands, although I'm capable of looking at it.

BTW: Mine's 359

#9214 4 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

I can not put 10 in the menu, it seems that 5 is the maximum for the number of mission to obtain a letter.

I see. I thought it was possible, but I guess it is the 2nd stage letter that can be set for 10.

#9215 4 years ago

Hadn't read this thread in a month or so but just read the last few pages. Wish somebody had reached out directly instead of guessing about the P-ROC. I'm easy to contact and am always happy to talk about non-confidential technical details.

There are a lot of incorrect assumptions about how the P-ROC works being discussed in this thread. The P-ROC doesn't slow down when a lot of different things are happening. Rather, that's where it shines. The P-ROC logic is implemented in an FPGA, which performs all of its logic simultaneously, very much unlike a sequentially operating processor. Switch events processing and driver updates are completely independent and can't/won't bog each other down. Yes, it's possible to overload the driver bus if the number of commands being sent exceeds the max bandwidth of the bus (P-ROC driver bus runs at 8 mbps vs 1mbps from other manufacturers).

We're currently working with Josh to add more features to manage priority driver requests. This will make the hardware smarter about what to do when too many commands are sent. We've also been jointly debugging some other things that happen in Houdini that don't happen in any other P-ROC-based game. If the root causes are in the P-ROC, rest assured, they'll be fixed.

- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

#9216 4 years ago

Happy to read this message and solutions will be found ... Thank you

#9217 4 years ago

Happy to hear that.

big thanks to Josh and Gerry

Fingers crossesed you find a solution

#9218 4 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

Hadn't read this thread in a month or so but just read the last few pages. Wish somebody had reached out directly instead of guessing about the P-ROC. I'm easy to contact and am always happy to talk about non-confidential technical details.
There are a lot of incorrect assumptions about how the P-ROC works being discussed in this thread. The P-ROC doesn't slow down when a lot of different things are happening. Rather, that's where it shines. The P-ROC logic is implemented in an FPGA, which performs all of its logic simultaneously, very much unlike a sequentially operating processor. Switch events processing and driver updates are completely independent and can't/won't bog each other down. Yes, it's possible to overload the driver bus if the number of commands being sent exceeds the max bandwidth of the bus (P-ROC driver bus runs at 8 mbps vs 1mbps from other manufacturers).
We're currently working with Josh to add more features to manage priority driver requests. This will make the hardware smarter about what to do when too many commands are sent. We've also been jointly debugging some other things that happen in Houdini that don't happen in any other P-ROC-based game. If the root causes are in the P-ROC, rest assured, they'll be fixed.
- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

Thanks for the information!

#9219 4 years ago

Thanks Gerry, always a gentleman.

#9220 4 years ago

Just a quick note to say thanks for the advice everyone. The game is at a vacation house and I haven't been able to get there but once I do I'll report back.

#9221 4 years ago

I have a couple adjustments to make today. The stage alley switch seemed to be registering intermittently, so i bent the wire form a bit, and now it is registering every time- but on a soft shot through the alley, the ball sometimes gets trapped between the wire and the gate, so i will reduce the arc a little. The other switch that is acting up is the switch on the upper catapult- again intermittently will not register with the ball just sitting in the cup- will eventually hick out on a ball search, but will lose out on the movie mode if qualified. I will fumble around with it and see what is up. I can hear the switch clicking when i manually push on it.
Has anyone else been getting random extra balls put into play at the scoop? I had not noticed it
in prior codes, but today had 3 times in the same game where this occurred.Still some minor tweaks needed, but this is really a great game.

#9222 4 years ago

On those catapult switches, when they don't register 100%, slightly bend them up.

#9223 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Shake motor question. My shaker motor experience has been a nightmare from the beginning... power supply credit process, order process, unanswered emails from Nirmal, shipping mistakes, missing parts. Today I carved our some time for the "30 minute" install... which took about 2 hours of cursing and frustration.
Question 1 - I could not get the shaker installed in the direction that is in the kit instructions. Between the capacitor and the little nut I could not get a straight down orientation for my nut driver to get the bolt started (over the half dozen other tools I tried). Is there anything that is going to cause me problems with shaker rotated 180 (the wire and capacitor pointed towards the front of the cab)?
Question 2 - my cabinet is missing the threaded sleeves that goes into one of the 4 mounting holes. Do you think I'll be okay with just 3 bolts holding it in?

Sorry for all the problems you have encountered.

////////////////

On game 3 we are breaking from traditional pinball shaker location and we are moving it to a more accessible location.

Our shipping and receiving person has been replaced.

Nirmal is no longer involved with API day to day activities.

If your 3 shaker motor bolts are tight you will have no problems with operating with only 3 bolts.

Please call or email me directly if you need anything... We are still experiencing growing pains and we are trying our best to do right by everyone.

224.422.3191 [email protected]

#9224 4 years ago
Quoted from Tokkentakker:

Mbwalker,

Nirmal is no longer working with API on day to day stuff.

Email me [email protected] and I will help you out.

#9225 4 years ago

I finally got around to fixing my bad connection on the tilt switch. No major bugs or issues since I reverted the backboard dimming to full light. We are loving Houdini and expect to keep it a long while.

#9226 4 years ago

A few quick items . . .

I'll be at Southern Fried Gaming this coming weekend. At 4PM on Saturday, in what should be an entertaining and informative seminar, I'll be sitting down with Zach Meny (Straight Down the Middle, Flip N Out Pinball and the This Week in Pinball Podcast), to talk about the making of Oktoberfest, rules and tips for game play, whats up at American Pinball and whatever else Zach, or those who attend, ask about. Warning, part of this seminar will NOT be family friendly.

I am working on another release, some bug fixes, some minor improvements and a work around for the dimming issue. However, we are still a few weeks from a beta.

As Gerry indicated, there is a lot of 'wrong' things being posted on how things work with P-roc (shocking that pinside would have any posts that are not 100% accurate), regardless, as he indicated I am working with him on changes to the p3-roc.

Also, please take with more than a grain of salt any post that starts with "josh told me".

#9227 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

A few quick items . . .
I'll be at Southern Fried Gaming this coming weekend. At 4PM on Saturday, in what should be an entertaining and informative seminar, I'll be sitting down with Zach Meny (Straight Down the Middle, Flip N Out Pinball and the This Week in Pinball Podcast), to talk about the making of Oktoberfest, rules and tips for game play, whats up at American Pinball and whatever else Zach, or those who attend, ask about. Warning, part of this seminar will NOT be family friendly.
I am working on another release, some bug fixes, some minor improvements and a work around for the dimming issue. However, we are still a few weeks from a beta.
As Gerry indicated, there is a lot of 'wrong' things being posted on how things work with P-roc (shocking that pinside would have any posts that are not 100% accurate), regardless, as he indicated I am working with him on changes to the p3-roc.
Also, please take with more than a grain of salt any post that starts with "josh told me".

Hello Josh, sorry for quoting you wrongly, I do not understand English well and I did not understand what you said in message. Still sorry, my only goal is to help as I can for the houdini to be perfect.

#9228 4 years ago

Update on my dead Houdini. Houdini is once again ALIVE! Thanks to BarryJ at API for the trouble shooting advice - I learned a lot about the underneath of the Houdini playfield from him. Turned out to be a fuse blew on the (blue wire) coil driver board after installing my shaker and knocker. The knocker is still not working but I'm just thankful that I don't have a $7000 brick.

Hard to tell what caused the fuse to blow but I do know that the wall nuts were not holding the power supply wires in place. Plug one in and one pops out. So I replaced the wall nuts with terminal blocks. For me, this is a much better setup. Like $12 from Amazon for 5 blocks (you just need 2). So if you installed the new powersupply this may be of interest to you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CLY5N9T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

IMG_3920 (resized).jpgIMG_3920 (resized).jpg
#9229 4 years ago

Did the Dremel trick last night and changed the angle of my catapult. Hitting trunk 100% now so far. Very satisfying.

#9230 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Update on my dead Houdini. Houdini is once again ALIVE! Thanks to BarryJ at API for the trouble shooting advice - I learned a lot about the underneath of the Houdini playfield from him. Turned out to be a fuse blew on the (blue wire) coil driver board after installing my shaker and knocker. The knocker is still not working but I'm just thankful that I don't have a $7000 brick.
Hard to tell what caused the fuse to blow but I do know that the wall nuts were not holding the power supply wires in place. Plug one in and one pops out. So I replaced the wall nuts with terminal blocks. For me, this is a much better setup. Like $12 from Amazon for 5 blocks (you just need 2). So if you installed the new powersupply this may be of interest to you.
amazon.com link »[quoted image]

Open terminal blocks are a bad idea in the cabinet below a playfield. One falling screw or other metal part can cause a real problem. At the very least I'd get a plastic shield over them.

And yes, Wall Nuts suck.

#9231 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Open terminal blocks are a bad idea in the cabinet below a playfield. One falling screw or other metal part can cause a real problem. At the very least I'd get a plastic shield over them.

There are plastic shields over them. They're very clear so you can't see them in the image. They came with the covers and insulated barrier strips... nothing is exposed to falling parts.

#9232 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

There are plastic shields over them. They're very clear so you can't see them in the image. They came with the covers and insulated barrier strips... nothing is exposed to falling parts.

I have used similar T-blocks on other projects and love them. might be over kill here with 5 slots, all you need one connection (3 wires) I really like crimp caps but have not used them on pins.

https://www.amazon.com/Farmunion-300pcs-Closed-Terminals-Connectors/dp/B01M65K6PY/ref=sr_1_3

#9233 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Update on my dead Houdini. Houdini is once again ALIVE! Thanks to BarryJ at API for the trouble shooting advice »[quoted image]

I fried a coil and shorted a transistor as well as the associated fuse. Barry was great help. There are several fuses located on the under playfield. My advice is that it is best to have some of those fuses on hand. they are the little short ones 5X20 6.3amp slo blow I believe

#9234 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

might be over kill here with 5 slots, all you need one connection (3 wires)

As you can see from the photo I needed 5 slots for the black wires.

#9235 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

As you can see from the photo I needed 5 slots for the black wires.

It looks great.
What's going on with the knocker?

#9236 4 years ago

Any one else have there rails dent like this, even through cardboard? Guess I need to get some heavy foam as that back box has some weight! Guess I might as well buy the power supply now and get some new rails.

Dent 1 (resized).jpgDent 1 (resized).jpgDent 2 (resized).jpgDent 2 (resized).jpg
#9237 4 years ago

Wow. I have not folded my game head down more than twice, but especially since the game is powdercoated, you should use foam or at least cardboard!

#9238 4 years ago
Quoted from gentrsa:

Any one else have there rails dent like this, even through cardboard? Guess I need to get some heavy foam as that back box has some weight! Guess I might as well buy the power supply now and get some new rails.[quoted image][quoted image]

Rolled up towels to protect siderails. They dent super easy.

They gotta be thick.

#9239 4 years ago
Quoted from gentrsa:

Any one else have there rails dent like this, even through cardboard? Guess I need to get some heavy foam as that back box has some weight! Guess I might as well buy the power supply now and get some new rails.[quoted image][quoted image]

do you cinch the head down really hard? I have had that on other games remnant from previous owners. I would try to remove and pound out from the backside before just ordering new ones. I use towels or shipping quilts and heavy cardboard corners that are used to ship solar panels when I transport my games and don't cinch the head to body very hard.

#9240 4 years ago

The kind of side rail damage can only be a slam of head from almost as big as drop you can get. Or, the dreaded ratchet strap, over cranking those around when head is lowered.

#9241 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The kind of side rail damage can only be a slam of head from almost as big as drop you can get. Or, the dreaded ratchet strap, over cranking those around when head is lowered.

My Congo which was a re-import had gorilla sized dents, I always wondered slam? cinch? shipping? I did replace them.

And yes, ratchet do not need to be very tight

#9242 4 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Nirmal is no longer working with API on day to day stuff. ...

#9243 4 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Nirmal is no longer working with API on day to day stuff.

I guess that explains why I never got a followup on my checkout issue...

#9244 4 years ago

Something unnormal with Nirmal? Oh my

#9245 4 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

nothing unnormal his coming nuptials and position at our parent company are keeping him too busy to be here on a daily basis

#9246 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

nothing unnormal his coming nuptials and position at our parent company are keeping him too busy to be here on a daily basis

Ah, normal Nirmal nuptials. Got it

#9247 4 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Ab...nirmal?

#9249 4 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9250 4 years ago

Has anyone experienced a 'dead' Houdini? Was going to do a code update as previous games were looping. I left the machine for a couple of days then went to turn it on and it was 'dead', no power at all. All I've got at the moment is a very nice looking and large paper weight !!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 185 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/185 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.