20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 184 of 297.
#9151 4 years ago

Hello, playing today, I had 2 bugs:
-I lost the ball, instead of saying end of ball and give the bonus, after 15 seconds, the pinball gave me a new ball
I played the mission with the plane on the screen, I shot in the corridor (increase jackpot), a ball was already blocked. Instead of releasing the first ball, the pinball did a ball search throughout the mission. At the end of the mission, he released a ball that was in the scoop

#9152 4 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

I have to receive the EOS and the new power supply

I installed the EoS and "upgraded" power supply and still have the problem with the flippers giving out. I will admit it's not as frequent but still an issue!

#9153 4 years ago

Josh thinks the problem comes from the control system.
He is working on it to update the system

#9154 4 years ago

All of a sudden I am getting a lot of air balls.....have flipper strength at 23???

#9155 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

All of a sudden I am getting a lot of air balls.....have flipper strength at 23???

Dial the coil strength down so you can just make the ramp off a strong left flip. you don't want the coils too strong!

#9156 4 years ago

Hello,
in the theater, there is a captive ball (it is fixed).
What is it for ? In which mission she intervenes. ?

#9157 4 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Hello,
in the theater, there is a captive ball (it is fixed).
What is it for ? In which mission she intervenes. ?

The captive ball is there as part of the decoration of the game, you do not shoot or bash it during gameplay. Sometimes you will see it open the stage doors and show the ball, close the stage and then show again that the ball is missing. It is like a magic trick

#9158 4 years ago

ok thank you

#9159 4 years ago

Yes .. thank you ... I am also waiting for weeks to get a mode where the ball is used .. too bad that it is not integrated in the gameplay.

#9160 4 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Yes .. thank you ... I am also waiting for weeks to get a mode where the ball is used .. too bad that it is not integrated in the gameplay.

Enable stage eject in the menu.
It barely works but it's fun to play with.

#9161 4 years ago

Just recently installed the knocker. The bullet catch integration is SO COOL! Easy install and well worth the price.

#9162 4 years ago

In Joe Balcer's seminar at Pintastic today, he said the company is developing its iwn proprietary system because it is taxing the multimorphic system. Also API is considering a licensed title, but he still prefers unlicensed. He also said API is considering offering an LE edition in the future, but it would be truly limited, not 500 to 750. But he seemed to say it is likely the company will stick with one version, one price.

#9163 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Just recently installed the knocker. The bullet catch integration is SO COOL! Easy install and well worth the price.

Just ordered the knocker and new rubbers. Post rubber wear is looking bad after a year of play. Houdini purple doesn't seem to match third party post rubbers, and these are very thin, so getting direct from API.

#9164 4 years ago

Question about Houdini ,the one I play at Marvin’s always drains SDTM from the key lane or the lane to the left of the key lane,shots from bumpers also can drain through the key lane,very frustrating,is it a leveling issue with the game or a common problem,I may be getting one and I hate that it does this.

Thanks

#9165 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Yeah was looking to buy it too. However postage to the UK was $44.. gulp!

#9166 4 years ago

Shake motor question. My shaker motor experience has been a nightmare from the beginning... power supply credit process, order process, unanswered emails from Nirmal, shipping mistakes, missing parts. Today I carved our some time for the "30 minute" install... which took about 2 hours of cursing and frustration.

Question 1 - I could not get the shaker installed in the direction that is in the kit instructions. Between the capacitor and the little nut I could not get a straight down orientation for my nut driver to get the bolt started (over the half dozen other tools I tried). Is there anything that is going to cause me problems with shaker rotated 180 (the wire and capacitor pointed towards the front of the cab)?

Question 2 - my cabinet is missing the threaded sleeves that goes into one of the 4 mounting holes. Do you think I'll be okay with just 3 bolts holding it in?

#9167 4 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Question about Houdini ,the one I play at Marvin’s always drains SDTM from the key lane or the lane to the left of the key lane,shots from bumpers also can drain through the key lane,very frustrating,is it a leveling issue with the game or a common problem,I may be getting one and I hate that it does this.
Thanks

It happens, but not very common. I give a little nudge with my left hand if it looks like it is coming through the key lane at a bad angle. That usually keeps it from happening at all. I'm sure there are some tweaks along with verifying the game is level that could prevent this all together. Either way it is not something to worry about when buying the machine or you would have seen a lot more discussion in this thread.

#9168 4 years ago

Moved on to the knocker kit... more frustration. Shaker doesn't appear to work. At this point I don't care if I ever get the knocker to work. The problem is after powering up the game will not kick out a ball. Doesn't even try to kick out a ball into the shooter lane. Any ideas?

#9169 4 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Thanks

mine never drains (hardly anyway). other owners have rebent the ball guide with good results. I never have had to do mine but there are three other chutes that I have been tweaking. Playfield angle might have something to do with it....

#9170 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Moved on to the knocker kit... more frustration. Shaker doesn't appear to work. At this point I don't care if I ever get the knocker to work. The problem is after powering up the game will not kick out a ball. Doesn't even try to kick out a ball into the shooter lane. Any ideas?

You likely knocked a connector loose. Buy a 20 cent tee nut for your shaker motor , any hardware store has them. using only 3 bolts is not to spec. Sorry for your frustration, It all seemed simple to me.

#9171 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Shake motor question. My shaker motor experience has been a nightmare from the beginning...

That's definitely not the norm w/my experience. Always been top notch.

Try Barry at: [email protected] Might be a little 'hit or miss' on a weekend, but I've always had good luck.

#9172 4 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Thanks

That rarely happens to me. To me it sounds like a leveling issue. Not a common complaint.

#9173 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Buy a 20 cent tee nut for your shaker motor , any hardware store has them. using only 3 bolts is not to spec.

Thanks I'll do that.

Quoted from konjurer:

The problem is after powering up the game will not kick out a ball. Doesn't even try to kick out a ball into the shooter lane. Any ideas?

* None of my coils work
* Game boots with no apparent errors
* Start button does not start a game
* Switch test shows my flipper buttons and start button working
* Backed out my knocker installation and still no coils

I'm guessing a connector did get unseated but not sure what to look for. Double checked the black and brown wires going into the wall nut.

BTW, I HATE those two wall nuts. Seems like a really cheesy way to hook up power to the game components. I plug in one wire and another falls out. Doesn't seem very stable. Has anyone tried a better connector setup like a terminal block?

#9174 4 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Thanks

Mine used to do this. 100% leveling issue

#9175 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Thanks I'll do that.

* None of my coils work
I'm guessing a connector did get unseated but not sure what to look for. Double checked the black and brown wires going into the wall nut.
BTW, I HATE those two wall nuts. Seems like a really cheesy way to hook up power to the game components. I plug in one wire and another falls out. Doesn't seem very stable. Has anyone tried a better connector setup like a terminal block?

I hate those things too and agree they are not designed to work with stranded wire so I soldered and heat-shrunk everything. This makes it harder to uninstall but I can't see anyone ever really needing to do that for any reason, both power supplies can still be replaced without cutting anything. Check all your fuses and what LEDs are lit on the boards, could be you blew a fuse.

The shaker install was harder on mine because I have an early game with the narrower cabinet so it was a little frustrating and I did move is from where they instructions indicate. It still wasn't that hard though and the knocker install was really easy in my experience.

#9176 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

* None of my coils work

Dang, I installed the shaker and knocker with a lot more ease then you're having! My issues with the installs were only with the cover to the shaker didn't fit real well as AP made changes to the cab where the cover easily fits over the shaker whereas mine I had to really push it into place. The knocker, they sent me the wrong wiring harness as, again, they made changes to the board and a different harness was needed for Houdini. Other then this I had no issues, even with the asinine "T-nuts"!

You go through all connectors and A. make sure they're all in and B. make sure you didn't offset one?

#9177 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Hello, I activated this option but I do not see any change. I do not see the captive ball, maybe it's only on some missions?

#9178 4 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Hello, I activated this option but I do not see any change. I do not see the captive ball, maybe it's only on some missions?

Exactly.

#9179 4 years ago

Yeah it fails to eject it more times then not!

Quoted from sebseb12:

Josh thinks the problem comes from the control system.
He is working on it to update the system

So the EoS, power supply nor the wall current is the issue but the control system? Hopefully this is the case!

#9180 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

So the EoS, power supply nor the wall current is the issue but the control system? Hopefully this is the case!

Any word on an update? I continue to have flipper issues, the occasional extra ball on the playfield [though, I'm not really complaining about the extra help], and most frustrating is the random end of ball thing. I'll be playing along, and then it just goes red, and the ball ends in the middle of play. Has anyone else had this issue? I've checked the through, and it seems fine - all optos registering fine, no dirt, etc. I can't think of anything else to check.

#9181 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Any word on an update? I continue to have flipper issues, the occasional extra ball on the playfield [though, I'm not really complaining about the extra help], and most frustrating is the random end of ball thing. I'll be playing along, and then it just goes red, and the ball ends in the middle of play. Has anyone else had this issue? I've checked the through, and it seems fine - all optos registering fine, no dirt, etc. I can't think of anything else to check.

I havent had that issue since reloading the latest code and not messing with the newly adjustable spotlight lighting. Maybe you should try a reload until the next update.

#9182 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I havent had that issue since reloading the latest code and not messing with the newly adjustable spotlight lighting. Maybe you should try a reload until the next update.

Reboot! Great idea. Works with everything else. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks.

#9183 4 years ago

I installed the latest code 19.4.7 on Houdini today, and I had an excellent game. The waiting around for the end of bonus is gone, and by pressing both flippers it is accelerated. I saw no glitches during play. I had my best accomplishment so far with 7 completed stage acts. I was hoping to get to the encore with a multiplier of 7 or more, but alas- i spelled Houdini too soon, and missed the encore.

IMG_2633 (resized).JPGIMG_2633 (resized).JPG
#9184 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

EOS and new power supply improve the game but it seems that the problem of loss of power drummers remains a little.
Josh told me that he thought it could come from the control system and he was working on an update. But at his last message, I'm not sure of that anymore.
Are there any people who have no problem losing the power of the drummers during the game? (On some shots, especially multiball, the drummers' power drops before returning to normal).

#9185 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Un mot sur une mise à jour? Je continue à avoir des problèmes avec les flippers, la balle supplémentaire occasionnelle sur le terrain de jeu [mais je ne me plains pas vraiment de l'aide supplémentaire], et le plus frustrant est la fin aléatoire de la balle. Je vais jouer, puis le ballon passe au rouge et la balle se termine au milieu du jeu. Quelqu'un at-il eu ce problème? J'ai vérifié le bon fonctionnement, et ça a l'air bien - tous les optos s'enregistrent bien, pas de saleté, etc. Je ne peux penser à rien d'autre à vérifier.

It looks like a switch problem.
I had a little different symptoms (when I lost the ball, there was no bonus, end of ball ,,,,). It was the switch lock 1 that was wrongly set.

#9186 4 years ago

If it's a control system problem. I hope gerry Stellenberg can provide a firmware update for the Hardware and if Josh is working on an update which makes all a bit smoother - it would be great.

I would help if I get the instructions what to test or I would try out new code and firmware updates etc.. the most important thing is that we get the accidental flipper power losses fixed!

#9187 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

If it's a control system problem. I hope gerry Stellenberg can provide a firmware update for the Hardware and if Josh is working on an update which makes all a bit smoother - it would be great.
I would help if I get the instructions what to test or I would try out new code and firmware updates etc.. the most important thing is that we get the accidental flipper power losses fixed!

Same - id be happy to help test hardware or software as well!

#9188 4 years ago

Playing a game today and the following happened:

-I had Return From Beyond and was one letter (N) away from spelling SEANCE but the machine recognized it as if I spelled it out and let play resume even though the N was still flashing.
-Wire gate for ball through just broke. That's some cheap metal they used on those gates.
-During Bullet Catch my ball drained and ended Bullet Catch but for some reason the machine kicked out a ball from the scoop and continued play as opposed to the turn/ball ending.

#9189 4 years ago

In addition to regulating the power problem of the drummers, it would be necessary to add sounds including when successful shooting requested

#9190 4 years ago

I had a great game last night.

I had man from beyond, seance and trunk multiball running at the same time.

I completed all of them but had quite a few right flipper collapses.

A couple thoughts on the code.

Doing all of the stage acts should be one of the things to accomplish before master magician is enabled.

It doesn't make sense that one could be a master magician and not have played all the acts.

One of the Houdini letters should be reserved for doing all the acts.

Master magician should have a pause built in do you can read the screen before it starts, this would help.

#9191 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I installed the latest code 19.4.7 on Houdini today, and I had an excellent game. The waiting around for the end of bonus is gone, and by pressing both flippers it is accelerated. I saw no glitches during play. I had my best accomplishment so far with 7 completed stage acts. I was hoping to get to the encore with a multiplier of 7 or more, but alas- i spelled Houdini too soon, and missed the encore.[quoted image]

I found that I can get the stage finale and avoid getting 7 houdini letters too soon by setting the letter-earning level for secret missions to 3. You wont likely complete the 3rd mission by accident, but rather, you really have to go for it once you want the last letter.

#9192 4 years ago

"I completed all of them but had quite a few right flipper collapses."

The power loss of the pinball machines is a problem and american pinball has to find a solution. The EOS and the new power supply do not completely solve the problem ... There must be another explanation

#9193 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Playing a game today and the following happened:
-I had Return From Beyond and was one letter (N) away from spelling SEANCE but the machine recognized it as if I spelled it out and let play resume even though the N was still flashing.
-Wire gate for ball through just broke. That's some cheap metal they used on those gates.
-During Bullet Catch my ball drained and ended Bullet Catch but for some reason the machine kicked out a ball from the scoop and continued play as opposed to the turn/ball ending.

On Return, you can earn a letter by hitting a magic target. That may be what happened to you to give you rhe final letter.
Bullet catch becomes a 2 ball multiball at a certain point, but shuts down the mode once you drain one of the balls. The ball aerved drom the scoop may have been your remaining ball.
I haven't broken any gates in a year of use, but both flipper springs broke. Too powerful flippers can be a cause for breaks, hut but probably not the trough gate.

#9194 4 years ago

I had a great game last night.
I had man from beyond, seance and trunk multiball running at the same time.
I completed all of them but had quite a few right flipper collapses.
A couple thoughts on the code.
Doing all of the stage acts should be one of the things to accomplish before master magician is enabled.
It doesn't make sense that one could be a master magician and not have played all the acts.
One of the Houdini letters should be reserved for doing all the acts.
Master magician should have a pause built in do you can read the screen before it starts, this would help.

Do you have the eos switches installed? I love the stage finale, but you can set the level of the stage letter award to be 10. That way, you don't get a letter till you play them all. The stage finale would still happen after the letter is awarded. By the way, can you increase the stage finale score by hitting the red flashing targets before sinking the ball in the stage? Its not clear what to do there. MM mode instructions are not that helpful. I shot a video of them. Just shoot all the flashing colors and keep at least 2 balls rolling. And if you are lucky, get a trunk multiball during the mode.

#9195 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

On Return, you can earn a letter by hitting a magic target. That may be what happened to you to give you rhe final letter.
Bullet catch becomes a 2 ball multiball at a certain point, but shuts down the mode once you drain one of the balls. The ball aerved drom the scoop may have been your remaining ball.
I haven't broken any gates in a year of use, but both flipper springs broke. Too powerful flippers can be a cause for breaks, hut but probably not the trough gate.

Thanks for the info and education. Good to know there's no issues here other then the broken wire gate. Never had one break on a game before. Not an ordeal just being that the game is home use only, for it to break, was eye opening.

#9196 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Thanks for the info and education. Good to know there's no issues here other then the broken wire gate. Never had one break on a game before. Not an ordeal just being that the game is home use only, for it to break, was eye opening.

A lot of the wires break.
Your distro should have free replacements, they were improperly bent at first.

#9197 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Do you have the eos switches installed? I love the stage finale, but you can set the level of the stage letter award to be 10. That way, you don't get a letter till you play them all. The stage finale would still happen after the letter is awarded. By the way, can you increase the stage finale score by hitting the red flashing targets before sinking the ball in the stage? Its not clear what to do there. MM mode instructions are not that helpful. I shot a video of them. Just shoot all the flashing colors and keep at least 2 balls rolling. And if you are lucky, get a trunk multiball during the mode.

I do have EOS switches and the upgraded power supply.

I think the flipper collapse was due to the heavy use of LED lights during the multiple modes running.

Hoping for code updates and firmware adjustments soon.

Thanks for the settings tip, I'll check my settings.

It's been so long since I made any adjustments lol.

My game runs pretty good.

#9198 4 years ago

...I think the flipper collapse was due to the heavy use of LED lights during the multiple modes running...

I wouldn't think that has an impact since the LED's run off the lower voltage power supply. At least from the flipper 48V perspective. it shouldn't.

#9199 4 years ago

I just received my upgraded power supply. I didn't receive any information about the $150 credit towards another purchase. Was I supposed to order with a code or something similar? I will email them but holiday weekend started now so figured I'd ask here.

#9200 4 years ago
Quoted from Tokkentakker:

I just received my upgraded power supply. I didn't receive any information about the $150 credit towards another purchase. Was I supposed to order with a code or something similar? I will email them but holiday weekend started now so figured I'd ask here.

Tokken,

Reach out to Nirmal at AP: [email protected]

It should be just a small slip of paper w/the code on it, so you might want to make sure it didn't get lost in the packing material.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 184 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/184 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.