Topic Stats

• 9,492 posts
  • 549 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Ballypinball
  • Topic is favorited by 145 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,293 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
20190820_202241 (resized).jpg
20190820_202141 (resized).jpg
20190820_202203 (resized).jpg
20190820_215958 (resized).jpg
DA11DAC5-DB21-422A-927B-25CB029731CE (resized).jpeg
A180D515-A4B6-4430-A10E-2AA29E5C2A90 (resized).jpeg
4A525FA5-9F12-47C3-A3B7-97D4D986C6D1 (resized).jpeg
Houdini Haldane (resized).jpg
IMG_20190810_190510 (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpeg
20190811_163439 (resized).jpg
20190811_163454 (resized).jpg
20190811_163143 (resized).jpg
20190811_163137 (resized).jpg
20190811_163030 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 9492 posts in this topic. You are on page 180 of 190.
#8951 3 months ago

Had a really productive game just now in which I finally dethroned Rosh as Movie binge champ. Then I entered Master Magician mode and managed to complete 3 letters-worth of shots. But the interesting thing was that I earned a trunk multiball while paying the MM, and it happened just as I drained all but the last ball, which triggers the 60 second countdown to extinction. With the timely trunk multiball, I got a new lease on life and continued MM in multiball mode. What a reprieve! I hope that wasn't a fluke or bug, because it really can extend your MM play time. It would be great to be able to earn a Seance multiball too.

#8952 3 months ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Had a really productive game just now in which I finally dethroned Rosh as Movie binge champ. Then I entered Master Magician mode and managed to complete 3 letters-worth of shots. But the interesting thing was that I earned a trunk multiball while paying the MM, and it happened just as I drained all but the last ball, which triggers the 60 second countdown to extinction. With the timely trunk multiball, I got a new lease on life and continued MM in multiball mode. What a reprieve! I hope that wasn't a fluke or bug, because it really can extend your MM play time. It would be great to be able to earn a Seance multiball too.

I had a really odd MM last night. It started up fine, but as balls drained they were never recycled back into play. I just stood there listening to the chatter and call outs, but no balls for a very long time. Then one ball popped out and the it went to the single ball, 60 second phase. The recycle of the single ball was very slow too, the wait lasting about 15 seconds. Needless to say that pinball ball without the ball yields pretty low scoring games, so I "FAILED!"

I've generally noticed during regular play that there are some pretty long lag times and it seems the game has lost track of the fact that a ball has drained or gone down the scoop, etc.

I'm going to try again tonight to see what happens. Other than that, the game has played much better since the last update a few weeks [months?] back. Still awesome.

#8953 3 months ago
Quoted from zahner:

I've generally noticed during regular play that there are some pretty long lag times and it seems the game has lost track of the fact that a ball has drained or gone down the scoop, etc.

A couple thoughts, if it isn't software related. Balls magnetized ? new balls or use this - https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-16809

And please check the plunger that kicks the ball up out of the ball trough to the shooter lane. If the plunger is a tiny bit too high, it can prevent balls from rolling into position right. The coil/plunger is fastened to a bracket. That bracket is held to the end of the ball trough by four screws, which you can loosen to raise or lower the coil/plunger. Not too high or too low.

LTG : )

#8954 3 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

A couple thoughts, if it isn't software related. Balls magnetized ? new balls or use this - https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-16809
And please check the plunger that kicks the ball up out of the ball trough to the shooter lane. If the plunger is a tiny bit too high, it can prevent balls from rolling into position right. The coil/plunger is fastened to a bracket. That bracket is held to the end of the ball trough by four screws, which you can loosen to raise or lower the coil/plunger. Not too high or too low.

I have very occasional delays in the trough with Houdini, but on LOTR, the chrome balls Inwas using were not rolling down the trough. So I just replaced them. If this demagnetizer will work in Houdini and LOTR, I'd give it a try. Those Houdini magnets are potent.

#8955 3 months ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

If this demagnetizer will work in Houdini and LOTR,

Will work in Houdini, not LOTR.

#8956 3 months ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I have very occasional delays in the trough with Houdini, but on LOTR, the chrome balls Inwas using were not rolling down the trough. So I just replaced them. If this demagnetizer will work in Houdini and LOTR, I'd give it a try. Those Houdini magnets are potent.

Thanks. I wasn’t thinking of a mechanical problem. Kind of like the paper and bell issue in Andromeda Strain - if anyone is as geeky as I am, that may ring a bell. I’ll look into that.

And yes, the Houdini magnets are indeed something.

#8957 3 months ago

It's easy to test for magnetized balls.

Pull them out, place them on a flat surface and see if they get attracted to each other.

Also line them up and see if you can tow a ball from a ball or 2.

#8958 3 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

It's easy to test for magnetized balls.
Pull them out, place them on a flat surface and see if they get attracted to each other.
Also line them up and see if you can tow a ball from a ball or 2.

Dead on, had to replace WOZ balls 2 weeks ago and used this test. They where original to game with over 1300 plays.
Im at about 1500 plays on this set of balls with Houdini, they are still not magnetized and were marcos brand new.

#8959 3 months ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Dead on, had to replace WOZ balls 2 weeks ago and used this test. They where original to game with over 1300 plays.
Im at about 1500 plays on this set of balls with Houdini, they are still not magnetized and were marcos brand new.

Not magnetized here . Did play a sort of mediocre game last night, and there were a few delays, but I didn't make MM, so I will have to wait until I have a decent game to see if it repeats.

#8960 3 months ago

Thats too many plays on a set of balls, unless you are polishing them?
Under slight magnification I see terrible scratching and dents at 450-500 plays.

My advice:

Buy carbon steel balls in bulk by the 100 pak. The chrome ones are harder and last longer, but can become magnetized at about 1000 plays. This isnt a problem if you change them out often though.

Spray them with wd-40 and put in ziplock bag with air pushed out ( I use a food saver vacuum bagger)
Clean them before use with lighter fluid or brakleen

Change them out before 500 plays, 400 is better.

The new high power, high speed, multiball games bounce the balls off each other a lot causing dents.

Dents and scratches ruin playfields.

#8961 3 months ago

Been a long time since Ive had any issues.
My scoop switch has decided to become very finicky. Works in all tests and i hear actuator metal clicking the little red button down.
Im beginning to think the end that lowers into housing white body has broken a bit.
During game ball will never make switch work, thus no seance, no combo shot, etc...
I think i need a new switch. Going to try a super bend up on actuator when i get home.
Fingers crossed, but few hours today fiddling with it, this is all I got.

#8962 3 months ago

My scoop switch has decided to become very finicky.

I'd try a new switch. You could have a flaky one.

#8963 3 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yep, just replace the switch.

#8964 3 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yep, just replace the switch.

Ive looked in every box, drawer and coin door.
Ill email Barry tomorrow and order (2) of these switches, and a catapult switch. My lower catapult actuator arm is very knocked around and loose as well.

#8965 3 months ago

Anyone know the coding software used to program Houdini or was it coded from scratch?

#8966 3 months ago
Quoted from Videogod:

Anyone know the coding software used to program Houdini or was it coded from scratch?

They started with one of the frameworks and customised the heck out of it

#8967 3 months ago
Quoted from Videogod:

It's a heavily customized version of the Skeletongame framework I believe which was originally created by Michael Ocean and several others. Find out more info at http://skeletongame.com

Paul

#8968 3 months ago
Quoted from zahner:

I had a really odd MM last night. It started up fine, but as balls drained they were never recycled back into play. I just stood there listening to the chatter and call outs, but no balls for a very long time. Then one ball popped out and the it went to the single ball, 60 second phase. The recycle of the single ball was very slow too, the wait lasting about 15 seconds. Needless to say that pinball ball without the ball yields pretty low scoring games, so I "FAILED!"
I'm going to try again tonight to see what happens. Other than that, the game has played much better since the last update a few weeks [months?] back. Still awesome.

I too have noticed some lag getting the balls to fire out onto the playfield once I start Seance Multiball. Sometime 5-8 seconds pass before one shoots out and then the other is right behind it.
I am using the latest April 2019 code (unless I missed an update).
The GOOD NEWS is that this pin is usually played as 2 players with my better half and so far we haven't had to much wonkiness (No pin intended), like random reboots or extra balls coming out when they shouldn't, etc. There are other points in the game where there is a substantial delay (can't think of the modes right now) but they eventually start. Good Job Rosh getting the code this far. I had ignored playing the pin for some time until the code got cleaned up some but with the latest code we have played 10+ games without any real issues. Finally settling in...

1 week later
#8969 89 days ago

I installed the shaker yesterday and, WOW what a difference! I really like the shaker code integration with the pop bumpers and the lower catapult. I also really like the effect tied in with the elephant walking. Very cool!

#8970 89 days ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

I installed the shaker yesterday and, WOW what a difference! I really like the shaker code integration with the pop bumpers and the lower catapult. I also really like the effect tied in with the elephant walking. Very cool!

Houdini is an amazing game!

Cant wait for the next code update.

#8971 88 days ago

The shaker motor code is great, its not overdone.

#8972 86 days ago

I had it at the top level for a while. I am back to mid level now. more desirable.

#8973 86 days ago

Houdini is an amazing game!
Cant wait for the next code update.

I continue to get two balls kick out of the scoop during jail escape and at other times. I sort of like the current code whether I deserve it or not

#8974 86 days ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I continue to get two balls kick out of the scoop during jail escape and at other times. I sort of like the current code whether I deserve it or not

I havent had that happen with current code. Mynissue was the left lock releasing multuple balls. But that stopped when I restored the lighting levels to default full brightness.

#8975 85 days ago

From Facebook. Your chance to be part of a team that loves what they are doing.

61572657_2559818780709618_3118279997882630144_n (resized).jpg
#8976 85 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

LTG : )[quoted image]

A dream job!

#8977 85 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

LTG : )[quoted image]

40% off as an employee discount?

#8978 85 days ago
Quoted from hollywood:

40% off as an employee discount?

Ooh I might be able to make that work... think they would let me work remotely.

#8979 85 days ago

St Louis isnt too bad of a commute. I would love this job.

#8980 85 days ago

Does make me wonder if Building a pinball machine, the same pinball machine would make me not want to own it or play pinball? Kind of like working at a restaurant or being a chef would turn me off from the food I make Every day.

#8981 85 days ago

Just speaking for myself: nope. Love pinball as much as ever. But I admit the other machines in my collection don’t get nearly the play they should, it’s always Oktoberfest getting “tested”. Same effect when I was working on Alien.

#8982 85 days ago
Quoted from finnflash:

St Louis isnt too bad of a commute. I would love this job.

Arent' they in Chicago?

#8983 85 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Arent' they in Chicago?

Dont try and talk me out of it

#8984 85 days ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Dont try and talk me out of it

LOL!!

#8985 85 days ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Just speaking for myself: nope. Love pinball as much as ever. But I admit the other machines in my collection don’t get nearly the play they should, it’s always Oktoberfest getting “tested”. Same effect when I was working on Alien.

But I would assume that there are worse ways to earn a living than coding new features and testing them out, correct? I would love to do that for a living. I wrote new code for my KISS Pro and it was a blast to implement my own rules, light shows, animations and sound effects!

#8986 85 days ago
Quoted from konjurer:

But I would assume that there are worse ways to earn a living than coding new features and testing them out, correct? I would love to do that for a living. I wrote new code for my KISS Pro and it was a blast to implement my own rules, light shows, animations and sound effects!

It's a total blast! I have plenty of local job opportunities -- and frankly, pretty much all of them pay considerably better -- but when you're a lifelong pinball fan, growing up playing with Pinball Construction Set on the Apple II... yeah, this is pretty damn cool.

#8987 85 days ago
Quoted from Ferret:

It's a total blast!

You get to work with me, so of course it is, or maybe it is a total blast despite having to work with me, hmm

#8988 85 days ago

Half the fun of the job is laughing at rosh's witticisms.

#8989 85 days ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Half the fun of the job is laughing

Does the other half involve Nirmal ?

#8990 85 days ago

So we had our League night today and i have to Report some bugs:

1. Flippers are weak.
I have the Upgrade powersupply and all coils Work perfect, only the Flippers are very weak. I have installed EOS switches and rebuild the flippers. But i it seems as they didn't have enough Power.they feel very spongey and the shoots are mit working ...

2. The left.flipper sometimes is virbrating a Bit ... and you can't Control the ball.

3. In a 3 Player Game the ball get stdm and in the ball through. But These round wasn't finish for this player. After 30-60 senconds a new ball was served for 4 Times. Then WE rebooted the Game... And it worked normal..

I Hope thes Problems can geht fiexed with a Code update. The Main problem are the weak Flippers / coils during gameplay. But i will Not give Up thus game, cause all Others coils working perfect.

Hope the ap-team can help me !

#8991 85 days ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

1. Flippers are weak.

Page 3-20 in the manual ( you can download it from american-pinball.com ) has coils you can adjust, have you made yours stronger ?

#8992 85 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Page 3-20 in the manual ( you can download it from american-pinball.com ) has coils you can adjust, have you made yours stronger ?

Yes they are 24 both Sides. And Sometimes they are strong so i get Air balls and Then they are very weak. If you Press the Buttons a Bit longer the Flippers became weak and If you Push the Button hard and fast they are wrong but you can't aim..
I Hope thus can bei with fixes with a tweaked Software Update

#8993 85 days ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

I Hope thus can bei with fixes with a tweaked Software Update

I'm not sure software is the issue. Please check connections involving them. Flipper coils to board. Power supply to board. Upgraded power supply to board. Could be a weak solder joint or connection.

Also the one that vibrates. I'd check the solder joints at the lugs, especially the thin wire going from the coil windings to the lugs. Easy to have a crack or break you can't see.

#8994 85 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'm not sure software is the issue. Please check connections involving them. Flipper coils to board. Power supply to board. Upgraded power supply to board. Could be a weak solder joint or connection.
Also the one that vibrates. I'd check the solder joints at the lugs, especially the thin wire going from the coil windings to the lugs. Easy to have a crack or break you can't see.

I want to Install new WPC coils and rebuild the flippers and hope it helps. The new powersupply ist very good. But only for all Others coils except the flippercoils. So i don't why ... I will Check tomorrow all Connections... But how Ican Check them? Can i messuare them with a dmm ?

#8995 84 days ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

But how Ivan Check them?

Visually should be good enough. Tug on solder joints to see if they are loose. Reseat connectors, push together tight, and check for wires sticking up from the connector - not pushed the whole way in.

#8996 84 days ago

Delete

#8997 84 days ago

Do you have the upgraded power supply?

Yes, he mentioned it in his post. EOS switches too.

#8998 84 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes, he mentioned it in his post. EOS switches too.

Oopps...to many words today.

#8999 84 days ago

For the record I added the “upgraded power supply“ and EOS and my left flipper still gives during multi-ball. Also the “upgraded” power supply fan is loud.

Love the game just some faux pas to it. Still can believe these guys put out this game for a first pin. Can’t wait to play Oktoberfest

#9000 84 days ago
Quoted from meSz:

For the record I added the “upgraded power supply“ and EOS and my left flipper still gives during multi-ball. Also the “upgraded” power supply fan is loud.
Love the game just some faux pas to it. Still can believe these guys put out this game for a first pin. Can’t wait to play Oktoberfest

Ditto on the PS upgrade and EOS switch upgrade and the mushy flipper (both flippers for me) and only during multi-ball. Kind of just gives up mid mushy flip several times during every multi-ball mode.

Never a huge issue - just a little thing. Still an amazing game. I had trunk mb, seance mb, and man from beyond all going last night. Lasted like five minutes - sporadic mush flippers and all. Bazinga!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Bristol, TN
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, MO
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 399.95
There are 9492 posts in this topic. You are on page 180 of 190.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside