20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 179 of 297.
#8901 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I too have the hookedonpinball.com version.
I tried it here but it blocked the peep show. Now it is next to the trunk. Shots of trunk location on our site[quoted image]

LOL

#8902 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Request:
Add ball save to stage acts that launch ball from the shooter.
Or ball save at the beginning of each act for a few seconds to at least try and start the mode.
Even AFM has ball saves built in here and there to keep the game flowing.
I hate it when the ball outlanes without flipping it, off the shooter launch and it loses the ball and kills the act.
Or bounces off the slings and drains before you can flip it.
The game is challenging enough without the cheap drains.
A liberal ball save at the beginning of the encore after completing the 10 acts would be a nice touch incase you cant get control of the ball due to stage bounceouts.
This has nothing to do with making the game easier, just more fun.

For what it's worth: I second that request... I think it's a really good idea.

#8903 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Rosh- Was there a new code update coming soon?

Having to find work arounds for a hardware issue. I've resolved part of the issue, but not all of it.

I will give it some thought

#8904 5 years ago

Request:
Or ball save at the beginning of each act for a few seconds to at least try and start the mode.
Even AFM has ball saves built in here and there to keep the game flowing.
I hate it when the ball outlanes without flipping it, off the shooter launch and it loses the ball and kills the act.
Or bounces off the slings and drains before you can flip it.
The game is challenging enough without the cheap drains.
A liberal ball save at the beginning of the encore after completing the 10 acts would be a nice touch incase you cant get control of the ball due to stage bounceouts.
This has nothing to do with making the game easier, just more fun.

I love the surprise of add-a-ball. The deadliest stage act is milkcan escape, very easy to drain the ball while shooting for that loop. So if you make the first shot, it would be fun and helpful to get an added ball to play with. If you drain at the start of milkcan escape, it would be merciful to get a ball save.

#8905 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I love the surprise of add-a-ball. The deadliest stage act is milkcan escape, very easy to drain the ball while shooting for that loop. So if you make the first shot, it would be fun and helpful to get an added ball to play with. If you drain at the start of milkcan escape, it would be merciful to get a ball save.

My request had more to do with cheap drains than my bad skills as a player.

Balls often drain off the launch either via the random scoop exit or a bounce off the slings via a random shooter launch.

Fortunately the scoop eject has a built in ball save, its used all the time.

The shooter auto launch does not.

Stage acts are the main focus of the game.
To not be able to get one flip due to a cheap drain as soon as an act is started is unfair.

To not be able to flip a ball due to a random side drain, or more frustrating, a stage bounce out, when the encore starts is also unfair.

Due to the annoying stage bounceouts it often takes 2 or 3 direct hits to the stage to get it to stick. This is with flippers at +1.

It shouldnt be random to stick the stage from a direct clean shot.

A ball save would really help keep the game flowing.

#8906 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Please post a pic of your mod when finished.

Here it is. Good news, bad news scenario.

Good news; It fits perfect. Ball travel is uninterrupted after multiple plays. My home made stand puts it at a perfect level. The price was right (free, as I already had the Eddie figure in which I sourced it).

Bad news; It is not authentic looking. It has stains on it from the Eddie theme that are more fitting of a insane asylum member than a grand illusionist and entertainer. Ithe best part of the jacket is the back, as that's where the details are (buckles, straps). It doesn't look as good facing backwards.

Ymmv but I am super particular about this sort of thing. It is tough to justify not going all in when you spend the money we are on these machines. I like the looks of the hooked on pinball one. May have to give it a shot.

Photos below. I also posted a off subject wide shot of my machine in its spot. Lovin it.

IMG_20190425_144744 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_144744 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_144748 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_144748 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_144753 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_144753 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_144642 (resized).jpgIMG_20190425_144642 (resized).jpg
#8907 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Here it is. Good news, bad news scenario. ... I also posted a off subject wide shot of my machine in its spot. Lovin it.

Good and bad re: the straightjacket aside, it still adds to the game.

I like the Houdini "spot" you've created! Between the posters and topper, it looks much better than my game does just jammed between two others.

#8908 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Good and bad re: the straightjacket aside, it still adds to the game.
I like the Houdini "spot" you've created! Between the posters and topper, it looks much better than my game does just jammed between two others.

Thanks Tuna. Truth be told this happened out of necessity. I probably have exactly one more game than I should and this is in a different spot than the rest of the machines. It had to be.

Pinball shouldn't spark therapy or interventions... But I have a funny feeling.

#8909 5 years ago

Did you get your machine from Larry here in st.louis?

#8910 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Here it is. Good news, bad news scenario.
Good news; It fits perfect. Ball travel is uninterrupted after multiple plays. My home made stand puts it at a perfect level. The price was right (free, as I already had the Eddie figure in which I sourced it).
Bad news; It is not authentic looking. It has stains on it from the Eddie theme that are more fitting of a insane asylum member than a grand illusionist and entertainer. Ithe best part of the jacket is the back, as that's where the details are (buckles, straps). It doesn't look as good facing backwards.
Ymmv but I am super particular about this sort of thing. It is tough to justify not going all in when you spend the money we are on these machines. I like the looks of the hooked on pinball one. May have to give it a shot.
Photos below. I also posted a off subject wide shot of my machine in its spot. Lovin it. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It looks like antiqued canvas, so feels appropriate to the machine. The themed setting you have is great. Copperfield would probably set his up the same way, if he had one.

#8911 5 years ago

Balls often drain off the launch either via the random scoop exit or a bounce off the slings via a random shooter launch.
To not be able to get one flip due to a cheap drain as soon as an act is started is unfair.
To not be able to flip a ball due to a random side drain, or more frustrating, a stage bounce out, when the encore starts is also unfair.
Due to the annoying stage bounceouts it often takes 2 or 3 direct hits to the stage to get it to stick. This is with flippers at +1.

I totally get it. I just read TWIP interview with Chris Franchi, who called Houdini a drain monster. But about the stage bounce outs...there are a couple of situations in the game in which the captive ball is lowered, and the live ball can be shot into the void, immediately disappearing into subway. It happens on the final shot of Vanishing elephant, for example. If Josh programmed this to happen more often, it would reduce bounce outs. I dont have a lot of drains from the automatic shooter. I did adjust the ball guide there early on to make the skill shots work better. Auto fire coil is at 10.

#8912 5 years ago

Anyone else that purchased the Houdini Custom Water Torture Mod have theirs fall off? Not looking to bash the maker, just looking to see if anyone else had an issue. Was in the midst of a game and all of a sudden it fell over. Upon inspecting it the screw has plastic in its threads so just appears it was a poor way of fixing the unit to the bracket.

916D5AEC-1E5F-4155-A5AB-96BDD18DA747 (resized).jpeg916D5AEC-1E5F-4155-A5AB-96BDD18DA747 (resized).jpeg
#8913 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Anyone else that purchased the Houdini Custom Water Torture Mod have theirs fall off? Not looking to bash the maker, just looking to see if anyone else had an issue. Was in the midst of a game and all of a sudden it fell over. Upon inspecting it the screw has plastic in its threads so just appears it was a poor way of fixing the unit to the bracket.[quoted image]

There are 2 water torture mods - suggest you identify which one you have. The photo is not clear.

#8914 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There are 2 water torture mods - suggest you identify which one you have. The photo is not clear.

I have the Hooked one, need to put it in, Pull the Mod couple out, sorry Dave, this one has more detail.
Rosh was adding programming for it, almost a mod first. Just shows you what a good guy Josh is.
Damage in pick looks fixable and am wondering what epoxy best to fix that?

#8915 5 years ago

This is the hooked on pinball version.
Ours is cast not 3d printed. Our lighting is inside the tank . Easy to see Houdinis feet outside of the tank and he is 3d not flat.

20181006_172603 (resized).jpg20181006_172603 (resized).jpg
#8916 5 years ago

Thats the Hooked one. I have it, need to put it in, Pull the Mod couple out, sorry Dave, this one has more detail.
Rosh was adding programming for it, almost a mod first. Just shows you what a good guy Josh is.
Damage in pick looks fixable and am wondering what epoxy best to fix that?

I’m confused - it looks like this is the Mod Couple version. The HOP version is cast, and this looks 3d printed to me

#8917 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’m confused - it looks like this is the Mod Couple version. The HOP version is cast, and this looks 3d printed to me

Apologies for the confusion, it’s the Mod Couple one. It’s 3D printer made. Not knocking it just a poor way to attach it to bracket.

#8918 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Apologies for the confusion, it’s the Mod Couple one. It’s 3D printer made. Not knocking it just a poor way to attach it to bracket.

Feel free to reach out to me and we can get this fixed. It’s very possible we had a failed print. No worries always want the customer happy.

#8919 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Feel free to reach out to me and we can get this fixed. It’s very possible we had a failed print. No worries always want the customer happy.

Were your ears ringing? Lol

#8920 5 years ago

Were your ears ringing? Lol

No but if a customer had an issue we try our best to make things right. Simple low cost mod not a major task to see that he is happy.

#8921 5 years ago

Did you ever have any success with shock absorbing material inside the stage to take some of the "sting" of a hard shot or was that another Pinsider?

#8922 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Did you ever have any success with shock absorbing material inside the stage to take some of the "sting" of a hard shot or was that another Pinsider?

I have had some success.

The sorbothane worked well enough but not perfect.

Still I want to try the 3DO material.

Its impossible to get In small quantities of the type i think would work well.

3DO hasnt contacted me back from my request for info.

#8923 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Anyone else that purchased the Houdini Custom Water Torture Mod have theirs fall off? Not looking to bash the maker, just looking to see if anyone else had an issue. Was in the midst of a game and all of a sudden it fell over. Upon inspecting it the screw has plastic in its threads so just appears it was a poor way of fixing the unit to the bracket.[quoted image]

I had the same problem so I made a simple 3D printed bracket. You can download it here if you want to try it. I used double sided tape to attach the mod to the bracket, and an existing screw on the game to mount the bracket. FYI you have to be very careful when raising the playfield so that your don't catch the mod if you mount it in that corner.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3589514
4ea49863a3f4faeabd33f9acdd7048fb_preview_featured (resized).jpg4ea49863a3f4faeabd33f9acdd7048fb_preview_featured (resized).jpgHoudiniWaterTortureBracket (resized).jpgHoudiniWaterTortureBracket (resized).jpgHoudiniPinball (resized).jpgHoudiniPinball (resized).jpg

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.25.44 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.25.44 AM (resized).png
#8924 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Did you get your machine from Larry here in st.louis?

No. It was a very recent purchase in Chicago so it's an "import". Lol.

Although I suppose they all are if you look at it that way.

#8925 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I had the same problem so I made a simple 3D printed bracket. You can download it here if you want to try it. I used double sided tape to attach the mod to the bracket, and an existing screw on the game to mount the bracket. FYI you have to be very careful when raising the playfield so that your don't catch the mod if you mount it in that corner.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3589514
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Appreciate the info .... now all I need is a 3D Printer
and yeah agree...where the mod sets you have to be very careful when raising the playfield for which I am.
Thanks again for the info!

#8926 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

and yeah agree...where the mod sets you have to be very careful when raising the playfield for which I am.

You don't need to own a 3D printer. You can use a company like shapeways (https://www.shapeways.com/) to print it for you. The cost is pretty reasonable for a one-off item when you provide the 3D model.

#8927 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Get one! A way cheaper and more useful hobby than pinball. I recommend a Lulzbot for reliability and ease of use.

#8928 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Get one! A way cheaper and more useful hobby than pinball. I recommend a Lulzbot for reliability and ease of use.

I tried out 3d printing in a tech school class, but the print lines/ridges were a big turnoff. I know they can be sanded and smoothed, but it is not something I want to do. I have a board game token I need scanned and printed, but don't know any small-job businesses who do this.

#8929 5 years ago

Okay, it's not for everyone I guess! But, that's like saying I made a shelf in high school wood shop that was a bit rough so I'm never using a saw again. Like any other method it takes the right tools and experience to produce a good part. It's possible to make beautiful 3d printed parts that need minimal post processing.

#8930 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I tried out 3d printing in a tech school class, but the print lines/ridges were a big turnoff. I know they can be sanded and smoothed, but it is not something I want to do. I have a board game token I need scanned and printed, but don't know any small-job businesses who do this.

there are tons of different printers, and depending on settings and the printer quality, you can minimize those lines. This was printed on the same model I have, which costs $200 (and a lot of tweaking)

3dprint (resized).jpg3dprint (resized).jpg
#8931 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

there are tons of different printers, and depending on settings and the printer quality, you can minimize those lines. This was printed on the same model I have, which costs $200 (and a lot of tweaking)
[quoted image]

Wow, great detail in that! I assume the higher end machines render a smoother print, but I didnt want to spend 4 figures for one. Maybe someday.

#8932 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Look into a local makerspace or hackerspace and print it there. Libraries are a goodplace also to find a printer to use.

#8933 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Wow, great detail in that! I assume the higher end machines render a smoother print, but I didnt want to spend 4 figures for one. Maybe someday.

Me neither. It sometimes takes a couple tries to get something that good - but once you learn how to tweak the software settings and adjust the actual printer very precisely, it just screams. I've spent probably $280 on it all in, after upgrading a couple of pieces to make adjustments easier.

#8934 4 years ago

For someone who’s never done it before, can anyone point me in the right way to tweak the sensitivity of the pop bumpers? They are a little “stiff” and need a good hit to trigger.

#8935 4 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

For someone who’s never done it before, can anyone point me in the right way to tweak the sensitivity of the pop bumpers? They are a little “stiff” and need a good hit to trigger.

I had the same issue, pops just didn't respond well. Just set the switch gap a little closer. Really made huge difference, for the better.

I have a set of tools used to adjust the switch blades, took all of 10 min.

#8936 4 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

For someone who’s never done it before, can anyone point me in the right way to tweak the sensitivity of the pop bumpers?

Switch Test - to check.

Check that the leaf blade switch is clean. A piece of paper between the blades, gently push blades together and pull paper out.

Check the plastic spoon the pop bumper skirt rod rests on - clean ? worn ? well centered ?

To adjust the leaf blade switch. The long top one with the plastic spoon should just be resting on, not pushing, the plastic rod coming down from the pop bumper skirt. The shorter lower one should be close enough so the slightest ball hit triggers it, yet vibration doesn't set it off.

A little tweaking and you'll be an expert at pop bumper leaf blade switch adjusting.

LTG : )

#8937 4 years ago

A failed master magician mode. I completed the stage acts, and 4 of 5 films, and Seance before time ran out.

#8938 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Switch Test - to check.
Check that the leaf blade switch is clean. A piece of paper between the blades, gently push blades together and pull paper out.
Check the plastic spoon the pop bumper skirt rod rests on - clean ? worn ? well centered ?
To adjust the leaf blade switch. The long top one with the plastic spoon should just be resting on, not pushing, the plastic rod coming down from the pop bumper skirt. The shorter lower one should be close enough so the slightest ball hit triggers it, yet vibration doesn't set it off.
A little tweaking and you'll be an expert at pop bumper leaf blade switch adjusting.

Cleaning them, even when brand new, was the key to making them responsive in mine. I find a rough business card (I have stacks of them from various people I have never thrown away for some reason) works really well for cleaning leaf switch contacts.

#8939 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Switch Test - to check.

I made this adjustment tonight, pushing up the lower shorter blade switches so there is barely any gap. I hadn't thought about how bad my pops had gotten. A slow ball would actually roll halfway around the bumper skirt on its way to the key lane without setting off the pop. And I was like, meh. Now I known why I've been getting fewer magic shop visits and escapes, and couldn't complete Handcuff King. Don't let this happen to you! It is not normal or acceptable pop behavior.

15567559133267103003632799824233 (resized).jpg15567559133267103003632799824233 (resized).jpg

#8940 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I made this adjustment tonight, pushing up the lower shorter blade switches so there is barely any gap. I hadn't thought about how bad my pops had gotten. A slow ball would actually roll halfway around the bumper skirt on its way to the key lane without setting off the pop. And I was like, meh. Now I known why I've been getting fewer magic shop visits and escapes, and couldn't complete Handcuff King. Don't let this happen to you! It is not normal or acceptable pop behavior.
[quoted image]

Pops should be adjusted so that the leaf switches have a hairs breadth of gap but dont activate when you firmly slap the playfield with your hand.

#8941 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

A failed master magician mode. I completed the stage acts, and 4 of 5 films, and Seance before time ran out.

I have never gotten that far into a game ...yet. Congrats!
Do you have it set for a 4 ball game?
Game ended at the end of ball 4.

#8942 4 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I have never gotten that far into a game ...yet. Congrats!
Do you have it set for a 4 ball game?
Game ended at the end of ball 4.

Thanks. I've been playing 5 ball games to get deep into all the modes, but am planning to switch to 3, with an easy overall setting. The latest code has made it easier to get some letters via the magic standup targets. My best 5-ball score was a little over 6 million

#8943 4 years ago

Come play Houdini and Oktoberfest at Allentown Pinfest this weekend in the PinballSTAR booth !

Can’t make the show and interested in purchasing ? Email Joe at [email protected].

852CEAEA-6E09-4165-BF84-31D8998396B1 (resized).jpeg852CEAEA-6E09-4165-BF84-31D8998396B1 (resized).jpeg0DBA47F5-0333-4D38-A5B6-ADCE1140322E (resized).jpeg0DBA47F5-0333-4D38-A5B6-ADCE1140322E (resized).jpeg
#8944 4 years ago

I had Houdini reboot itself today after the 3rd ball had drained and at the time the summary of the play was shown. The screen went black with "searching for signal" and then it reloaded the game. I noticed that the power supply was also giving more noise than usual at the time when game was rebooting. I am using the upgraded power supply. This is the second time this has happened when running the latest code.

Any fixes to this issue? I made a search with word "reboot", but that did not seem to offer explanations for this.

#8945 4 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I had Houdini reboot itself today after the 3rd ball had drained and at the time the summary of the play was shown. The screen went black with "searching for signal" and then it reloaded the game. I noticed that the power supply was also giving more noise than usual at the time when game was rebooting. I am using the upgraded power supply. This is the second time this has happened when running the latest code.
Any fixes to this issue? I made a search with word "reboot", but that did not seem to offer explanations for this.

New power supply will have nothing to do with the re-booting issue as it is 48V. Your problem is on the 12V line.

Do you have and extra lights wired in or any Mods?

#8946 4 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

New power supply will have nothing to do with the re-booting issue as it is 48V. Your problem is on the 12V line.

Check for shorted wire in the shooter/launch spring underneath.
That is where my short was.

#8947 4 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

I have a pinstadium-type lightbars along the sides of the playfield. They are powered from Houdini's service outlet plug. No other mods. The first time the reboot happened, the lightbars were powered with an external power source though, but I have now powered them from Houdini's service outlet.

Both times this occurred after the results of the third ball had been displayed, it seemed like it was a similar type of situation.

#8948 4 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Check for shorted wire in the shooter/launch spring underneath.
That is where my short was.

Thanks, I will have to investigate.

#8949 4 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Barry, interested in this as I added the BtiteMods flipper buttons, LED strip in the ball through and have the Water Torture mod installed. Is this going to be an issue? Oh forgot, also adding the knocker!

#8950 4 years ago

Am thinking of bringing Houdini to Pintastic New England, but I don't have a helper to move it this year. I'd set it up on Josh's extra easy setting so newbies can get a feel for it. But only three balls, because we dont want people waiting in line for 30 minutes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 179 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/179?hl=barryj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.