20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 177 of 297.
#8801 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

That’s what I thought. Here is a pic. It is def off to one side [quoted image]

yes, and a little crooked. Mine is straighter and more centered, tho not exactly.

20190414_123824 (resized).jpg20190414_123824 (resized).jpg
#8802 4 years ago

Need a quick favor. I am making a topper for my Oktoberfest machine (that I'll have in about 3 weeks) out of some old beer signs from my dad's beer distributor. Since I don't have the machine yet, I need the dimension on the top of the back box on an American Pinball machine. (left to right, the space in between the 2 side panels that stick up a little). I think it is around 27", but I don't want to guess. Since there are way more Houdini's than Oktoberfest, figured I'd ask here.

Here are few other toppers (or in some cases, junk I put on top of the machines.) thanks in advance.

#8803 4 years ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

Need a quick favor. I am making a topper for my Oktoberfest machine (that I'll have in about 3 weeks) out of some old beer signs from my dad's beer distributor. Since I don't have the machine yet, I need the dimension on the top of the back box on an American Pinball machine. (left to right, the space in between the 2 side panels that stick up a little). I think it is around 27", but I don't want to guess. Since there are way more Houdini's than Oktoberfest, figured I'd ask here.
Here are few other toppers (or in some cases, junk I put on top of the machines.) thanks in advance.

The top of the box, not including the side panels, is 27 and a quarter. the thickness to the wall is a hair under 11 inches. The boxes for octoberfest may not be the same. They dont have the rounded side panels.

#8804 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

The top of the box, not including the side panels, is 27 and a quarter. the thickness to the wall is a hair under 11 inches. The boxes for octoberfest may not be the same. They dont have the rounded side panels.

thanks so much! I just looked at pictures and the backboxes do look pretty different. I am going to post in the oktoberfest thread to confirm. thanks for the super fast answer!
tony

#8805 4 years ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

I think it is around 27", but I don't want to guess. Since there are way more Houdini's than Oktoberfest, figured I'd ask here.

Heads are different on the two games, width should be the same, but the depth might be different, Okto might be a touch deeper.

#8806 4 years ago

Can we confirm the new code will definitely be released/ready on the 16th. Does anyone have a list of the updates?

#8807 4 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Can we confirm the new code will definitely be released/ready on the 16th. Does anyone have a list of the updates?

new code for Houdini? Josh just did an update last week

#8808 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

new code for Houdini? Josh just did an update last week

It seems some people had issues. I am holding off updating mine.

#8809 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Man that sucks - I’ve installed everything from the beta in March to the last 2 mini-updates and no issues so far. 1.9 mil game last night!

#8810 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

There is an issue with the two lock releases holding down too long and releasing more than one ball at certain times. Based on troubleshooting this yesterday, looks like the addition of the dimming of the backpanel and spots has identified an issue with the P-roc. I am doing some further testing this morning and working with multimorphic, but will modify the code to work around the issue and will release that in the next day or two. In the meantime, if you have dimmed them, just turn the backpanel and spots back to 10, and the problem will go away.

#8811 4 years ago

I had seance multiball for the first time. Talk about an awesome creepy mode...everything dark except some flashing inserts and the magnets moving the ball around. Very cool effect!

#8812 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I had seance multiball for the first time. Talk about an awesome creepy mode...everything dark except some flashing inserts and the magnets moving the ball around. Very cool effect!

I think you probably had Seance combined with Man From Beyond, seance by itself is something you should probably be getting almost every game. It does move the ball around a LOT with the magnets but it does not turn off all the lights, that's M.F.B. Film mode once you have Houdini freed from the ice and the restraints removed (hits to the stage door followed by loop shots or scoring either of these via MAGIC standups). It is a very cool combined effect but I do wish you could still see where Houdini is better than you can with the seance animation playing over the top of it.

#8813 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I think you probably had Seance combined with Man From Beyond, seance by itself is something you should probably be getting almost every game. It does move the ball around a LOT with the magnets but it does not turn off all the lights, that's M.F.B. Film mode once you have Houdini freed from the ice and the restraints removed (hits to the stage door followed by loop shots or scoring either of these via MAGIC standups). It is a very cool combined effect but I do wish you could still see where Houdini is better than you can with the seance animation playing over the top of it.

thx..Yeah it was so cool playing it and I knew I had not played it before.

One thing I love is how smooth the shaker i on this game. Its just enough to make the game experience even better without shaking glass and extra noise.

#8814 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Catapult still fires strong or un managed in return from beyond.

It seems that with that mode more power is going to it.

#8815 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

thx..Yeah it was so cool playing it and I knew I had not played it before.
One thing I love is how smooth the shaker i on this game. Its just enough to make the game experience even better without shaking glass and extra noise.

Best shaker integration in any game. And the knocker on Bullet Catch!

#8816 4 years ago

So i installed the new Power supply anderen eos. it's better now, but they still do not feel completely strong during the game. Also i noticed

So what can i do also to get consist strong flippers?

- Install new, stronger coils, but which one?
- Install new sleves (which?)
- Install new anderen stronger return Springs?

Hope you can tell me which coils would be a bit stronger and won't heating Up so fast.

Thank you for your Help

#8817 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

So i installed the new Power supply anderen eos. it's better now, but they still do not feel completely strong during the game. Also i noticed
Hope you can tell me which coils would be a bit stronger and won't heating Up so fast.
Thank you for your Help

Thanks for the post as I have also installed the Power Supply and find the flippers giving even more now then before. I adjusted flipper power as per the instructions to no avail. During multi-ball my flippers give all the time.

I haven't installed the EOS kit as of yet but that is next on the list!

#8818 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Thank you for your Help

go into the utilities menu and set the flipper settings up a notch

#8819 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Thank you for your Help

Stronger flippers are not quite the total answer.

Reserve power in the power supply might be though (possibly go to a 1200w supply). The upgraded supply is a vast improvement but not perfect. It is lightyears ahead of the original design though.

Many things are in play here.
Mostly the ever-present stage rejects.

Higher flipper power makes the stage a 10% shot at best. As the most important feature in the game, you have to always consider it.

Lower the playfield pitch to 6.1, this is where it plays best over-all

Droop the flipper angle down from the factory dot 1/8" (2.5mm)

Lower than 6 degrees playfied pitch, balls get stuck in the subway. Higher requires too much flipper power.

Lower the flipper power to default +1

I have played with pitch and flipper power for months.

This is where I'm at now.

Everything works.
Fewer air-balls.
10% stage rejects vs 90%

Ramp shots are doable but takes a clean shot.

When in the groove I can repeat the ramp over and over.

The game is much more controllable and accurate.

With the new code the game is a lot more fun! Objects are more achievable and interesting.

Put super lube on the spinner, it really helps.
I put it on all my games.

Super Lube 51010 Oil Super Lube https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BXOGHY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_utoTCbY1PZ0S6

#8820 4 years ago

Thanks for your answers

Game ist Setup to 6.3 and ramps are fine. But when a multiball starts i don't have constant Power to bring them Up the ramp or around the orbits...

I want to try all possible ways to get constant strong flippers.

I will lower Pitch to 6.1 and will tune the Spinner First.

But If it dindn't Help me i have to figure it how I can modify the Hardware .

#8821 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Game ist Setup to 6.3 and ramps are fine. But when a multiball starts i don't have constant Power to bring them Up the ramp or around the orbits...
I want to try all possible ways to get constant strong flippers.
I will lower Pitch to 6.1 and will tune the Spinner First.
But If it dindn't Help me i have to figure it how I can modify the Hardware .

Lower pitch changes everything.
Less power is required all around.

Less power means less inertia and the flippers dont have to work as hard.

Lower flipper power give you weaker rebounds off the standups.
The flippers rarely collapse during multiball.

The ramp is barely used so it's not as important as the stage rejects.

The game plays slower but that's not a terrible thing. It's more controllable.

#8822 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Lower pitch changes everything.
Less power is required all around.
Less power means less inertia and the flippers dont have to work as hard.
Lower flipper power give you weaker rebounds off the standups.
The flippers rarely collapse during multiball.
The ramp is barely used so it's not as important as the stage rejects.
The game plays slower but that's not a terrible thing. It's more controllable.

Just curious as to what you have your's set at?

#8823 4 years ago

I get a weird light array on powering up. Am on new code with default brightness settings. The lights go back to normal for ball 2 or when game is restarted. This may be part of problem with P roc that Josh is working on.

20190415_210345 (resized).jpg20190415_210345 (resized).jpg
#8824 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I get a weird light array on powering up. Am on new code with default brightness settings. The lights go back to normal for ball 2 or when game is restarted. This may be part of problem with P roc that Josh is working on.
[quoted image]

Let me guess...you pressed Start immediately as the pin starts to announce "Houdini is in the house!"

#8825 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Let me guess...you pressed Start immediately as the pin starts to announce "Houdini is in the house!"

Yeah, it doesn't happen if I wait for his handcuff image to appear before hitting start. But Ive been staring quick since August with no ill effect. SonI thought this was something new.

#8826 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Yeah, it doesn't happen if I wait for his handcuff image to appear before hitting start. But Ive been staring quick since August with no ill effect. SonI thought this was something new.

I noticed the same thing after the code update and e-mailed Josh/Rosh so he's aware of it.

BTW, spent quite a number of weeks in Marlborough last summer for work! Probably 5-6 total.

#8827 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I noticed the same thing after the code update and e-mailed Josh/Rosh so he's aware of it.
BTW, spent quite a number of weeks in Marlborough last summer for work! Probably 5-6 total.

Thanks for validating that. We actually have pinball in Marlborough now, at the Apex Entertainment Center. With my machines, a total of 7.

#8828 4 years ago

Who do I contact about getting the metal gate replaced?

#8829 4 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Start with your distributor, if that doesn't work call API directly - they are excellent at helping out owners.

#8830 4 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Stage Alley or shooter lane wire?
If Stage lane, forget about it, mine broke first week, i put another in a month later, it bent after a week, i removed it, a year later I dont miss it and being gone does not affect game play.
Yes, there's a small chance to light a lock from pops if your lucky and it isn't already lit.

#8831 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Start with your distributor, if that doesn't work call API directly - they are excellent at helping out owners.

I’ve called API. Sent in a ticket and texted. No replies yet

#8832 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Keep in mind the last two weeks they have been away doing shows so give them some time to respond. I sent Barry an email last week and he responded yesterday so be patient!

#8833 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I've alerted Barry.

#8834 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Sometimes I am unable to reply right away!

#8835 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Key lane or shooter lane wire?
If key lane, forget about it, mine broke first week, i put another in a month later, it bent after a week, i removed it, a year later I dont miss it and being gone does not affect game play.

Keylane.
I have noticed its not bad without it. Might just keep it that way also.

#8836 4 years ago

My game has the wire gate on the stage alley lane but not the key lane. Is this incorrect?

#8837 4 years ago
Quoted from Lilpro66:

My game has the wire gate on the stage alley lane but not the key lane. Is this incorrect?

No, that is correct they just are just using the wrong term, I started to correct Eric before but was afraid I'd sound like a d@#$.

#8838 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Just curious as to what you have your's set at?

6.15 degrees flippers at default +1. Wall power at 119-120v, I have the power supply upgrade.

#8839 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

6.15 degrees flippers at default +1. Wall power at 119-120v, I have the power supply upgrade.

I have the upgrade as well so will try this and see what happens. thanks!

#8840 4 years ago

I played some pinball while visiting in Portland. The place was called Next Level. I had a blast- 4 hours went by rather quickly. The Houdini there had the side art blades- I thought that they looked really sharp.I just ordered the side art blade from API. I have installed 3 sets so far- TSPP,TZ, and STTNG- I hated every minute of the installation. Just the agonizing fear that I was going to screw it up and rip or tear , or have a crease that would really bother me. Any recommendations for Houdini? Although it probably is not necessary, I am considering removing the playfield from the cabinet to give me full access.Thoughts?

#8841 4 years ago

I wish there were a gate on the key lane as I am getting too many SDTM drains from there.
I need to try and bend the lane guide a little bit to see if I can get better results.

#8842 4 years ago
Quoted from Lilpro66:

My Stage Alley gate sticks open sometimes, I have adjusted it a couple times and it still sticks, which is no problem, I would rather the ball exit the pops down that lane than the key lane (due to drains). also it makes it easier to relight Lock

#8843 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I played some pinball while visiting in Portland. The place was called Next Level. I had a blast- 4 hours went by rather quickly. The Houdini there had the side art blades- I thought that they looked really sharp.I just ordered the side art blade from API. I have installed 3 sets so far- TSPP,TZ, and STTNG- I hated every minute of the installation. Just the agonizing fear that I was going to screw it up and rip or tear , or have a crease that would really bother me. Any recommendations for Houdini? Although it probably is not necessary, I am considering removing the playfield from the cabinet to give me full access.Thoughts?

It may depend on when your game was made as apparently some early cabinets were built incorrectly and are 1/4 inch narrower inside. I don't know if that applies to mine or not but the playfield is VERY tight to the sides and I removed the PF to install them. It was fairly simple as there aren't too many connectors and with my wife's help it came out and went back in easily. The side blades for Houdini are very thin so I absolutely recommend the wet method, put down some towels inside to help catch excess water and be liberal with it so you don't get them stuck in the wrong spot, I could see them tearing easily. Lastly make sure you have some side art protectors to use when reinstalling and any time you have to lift the playfield in the future or I think they will absolutely get damaged.

#8844 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

[quoted image]

I had that same lighting issue after both latest code updates (official).
Went away after I played the game both times.

#8845 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

..Any recommendations for Houdini? Although it probably is not necessary, I am considering removing the playfield from the cabinet to give me full access.Thoughts?

Don’t stress. Houdini was definitely one of the easiest pins I’ve installed art blades on. There is plenty of space between playfield and cabinet side. If you’ve done other pins then this one should be easy for you.
I always use the blue painter’s tape method. Put playfield in vertical position as far back as possible. Slide playfield against cabinet side to give maximum space on other side. Tape art blades exactly in place with blue painters tape. Peel back front half of the art blade. Cut that half of the backing off with a razor. Stick half of art blade in place. Lower and move playfield as far forward as possible on rails. Peel remaining backing off and stick in place. Easy peasy

#8846 4 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Don’t stress. Houdini was definitely one of the easiest pins I’ve installed art blades on. There is plenty of space between playfield and cabinet side. If you’ve done other pins then this one should be easy for you.
I always use the blue painter’s tape method. Put playfield in vertical position as far back as possible. Slide playfield against cabinet side to give maximum space on other side. Tape art blades exactly in place with blue painters tape. Peel back front half of the art blade. Cut that half of the backing off with a razor. Stick half of art blade in place. Lower and move playfield as far forward as possible on rails. Peel remaining backing off and stick in place. Easy peasy

or just take the pf out. It's not difficult to do as it's just a 5-6 connectors and one screw to remove.

I took mine out and it made installing the blades and upgraded power supply so much easier.

#8847 4 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Sometimes I am unable to reply right away!

Sorry. . Thx for email and text. I’ll have it fixed soon

#8848 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

Houdini's are thin paper, not vinyl, so they are easier to tear, but if you use the wet method, you can easily install them with the playfield in the machine. It's a very forgiving method.

#8849 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

No, that is correct they just are just using the wrong term, I started to correct Eric before but was afraid I'd sound like a d@#$.

Your right, its Stage Alley. Key lane has no gate.

Quoted from Lilpro66:

Yes, correct. I should have at least 2 coffee's before posting in the morning.

#8850 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Your right, its Stage Alley. Key lane has no gate.

Yes, correct. I should have at least 2 coffee's before posting in the morning.

Hey, I knew what you meant.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mclean, VA
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 177 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/177?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.