Topic Stats

• 9,746 posts
  • 561 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Platypus
  • Topic is favorited by 147 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,317 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
coilstop (resized).jpg
IMG-20191017-WA0070 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191121-135123 (resized).png
ap2 (resized).jpg
AP (resized).jpg
20191115_193550 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191110_201555 (resized).jpg
20191107_132816 (resized).jpg
0BFFBA7A-2A37-4ECF-8E8A-454961EC1D22 (resized).jpeg
AD1C4609-DABC-4F2A-9D57-23EBD847BBE8 (resized).jpeg
Houdini MM rules (resized).JPG
IMG_20191031_204154 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191031_204326 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 9746 posts in this topic. You are on page 175 of 195.
#8701 8 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

With all these weird problems with this version, I will be waiting to put this update out on location. Was going to do it yesterday, glad I waited...

Running it now, will post back.

#8702 8 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

OK in fairness I said my Family did not find the game fun and sold it. I have never been Nasty to Any company making pinball for everyone. I Do have the right to not love every game I buy no? I also don't tell anyone what They should like or buy. If the animations for October improve I am on the list to get that game also. I will reframe from saying if we like it to not offend anyone....

I kind of wondered that when he echoed those comments a few weeks back, given his support of the game with mods, but his explanation felt fair and rational to me, and I can also agree with the points he made about the game.

Nothing is black and white in life, and there are no absolutes.

#8703 8 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

I kind of wondered that when he echoed those comments a few weeks back, given his support of the game with mods, but his explanation felt fair and rational to me, and I can also agree with the points he made about the game.
Nothing is black and white in life, and there are no absolutes.

#8704 8 months ago

Updated just now (19.4.7) and finished a few games one player and multiplayer. Did not get anything strange and put in a new GC score of almost 1 million. Seems to be solid.

#8705 8 months ago

Played a pretty good game.
Power levels are slightly altered after the update.

Coin door volume seems stable.

I won master magician by getting 7 Houdini letters but didnt start all the stage acts.

I think I had 4 or only 5 acts played.
Also no movie binge and didnt complete all jail escapes.

I did however make the super jackpot in trunk mutiball.

Is this possible, never happened before.

I'll check my settings.

Had 3 extra balls saved up under the scoop.

They were not awarded simultaneously.

Had to make the scoop 3 times to get them all.

With extra ball lit along with seance, extra ball was actually awarded along with seance being started. This is a first.
Usually extra ball stays lit and you have to remake the shot.

Might have just been coincidence.

No glaring bugs at the moment.
Other than adjust some power settings.

Volume on game exit did not go down or change.

#8706 8 months ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

With that backglass and the batcopter on the left side of the playfield that's not an LE. It's actually a $15000 SLE! Only 30 made. And it's on location? Crazy! Totally awesome, but crazy

Right! This had Adam West's autograph on a card. I think it was #13. They also have the JJ POTC with barnacles glued on.

#8707 8 months ago

Josh rosh, does the new code eliminate the blank screen on the monitor that sometimes onscures the progress screen during MM mode? I didn't see that on the change list.

Houdini Release Notes Verison 19.4.7.pdf
#8708 8 months ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Josh rosh, does the new code eliminate the blank screen on the monitor that sometimes onscures the progress screen during MM mode? I didn't see that on the change list.[quoted image]

Part of the master magician display modifications that is on the change log

#8709 8 months ago
Quoted from rosh:

Version 19.4.7 is now available on the website . . . .
https://www.american-pinball.com/support/updates/
Fixed – Volume Changes via coin door not saving correctly
Fixed – Audio Knocker causing reboot
Fixed – Magic Shop + Multiball end of ball bug

Man thats a quick turnaround!!

#8710 8 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Rosh doesn't sleep. Looking forward to install new code tonight!

#8711 8 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

No glaring bugs at the moment.
Other than adjust some power settings.

Wierd.

Changed my settings, didnt like them, changed them back to where they were.
Saved and rebooted.

All is well in the world.

So no power issues.

#8712 8 months ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Rosh doesn't sleep. Looking forward to install new code tonight!

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Well, I certainly was not going to be able to sleep until I knew what the frack was going on. How something could pop up so quick when a half dozen beta testers did not run into it.

Once I got a couple of logs I could see what happened (issue with was audio knocker) was able to replicate on my machine one I turned off the mechanical knocker and set replay award to fee game, as that combination was the cause of the reboots. Both issues (the sound not saving properly was the other) were bugs resulting from the change to give more steps in volume.

The other fix was to the magic shop, end of multiball issue, there was a timing item I forgot to change after I was doing some final testing. Hopefully that is now fixed.

So no power issues.

Nothing in the release should have impacted coil power settings

I won master magician by getting 7 Houdini letters but didnt start all the stage acts.
I think I had 4 or only 5 acts played.
Also no movie binge and didnt complete all jail escapes.
I did however make the super jackpot in trunk mutiball.
Is this possible, never happened before.

Depending on settings, sure. You need 7 and there are more than 7 ways to get them, depending on settings, and there are certainly settings that will let you earn a Houdini letter with as little as 2 or 3 of an item complete and some object areas will let you earn more than 1. Without doing 5 movies or completing 5 escapes you would not see Binge or Great Escape but still be able to get to the Master Magician mode.

#8713 8 months ago
Quoted from rosh:

Nothing in the release should have impacted coil power settings

Power settings were unaffected, just a shakey start on my game.

I think it just had to do with being updated in general.
Some stuff just had to settle down.

Cycling the power a couple times seemed to imbed the code just fine.

Game seems to run smoother, more refined.

I think its a good update. Keep 'em coming!

Still want to double flip out of the same magician shoots again screen....

#8714 8 months ago

The new code is great. Thanks Josh!

On 2 different times now I've seen an extra ball put into play during a jail escape mode when it shouldn't be. I've also had a trunk multiball end early with a ball still in the right scoop. It ejected the ball out of the scoop but my turn had already ended (the flippers were dead). I didn't see this on the previous code, and yes all of my switches are functioning correctly.

#8715 8 months ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

The new code is great. Thanks Josh!
On 2 different times now I've seen an extra ball put into play during a jail escape mode when it shouldn't be. I've also had a trunk multiball end early with a ball still in the right scoop. It ejected the ball out of the scoop but my turn had already ended (the flippers were dead). I didn't see this on the previous code, and yes all of my switches are functioning correctly.

4.6 or 4.7

send me the log next time it happens, if you can note which escape, the will help me find it in the log.

#8717 8 months ago

Well I am officially in the club...and loving it. The game arrive safe and sound today. The first thing the driver told me was that a fork lift had put a hole in the cardboard. I peeled away at the puncture, dead center about 5 inches from the pallet. The driver took it into my garage and we removed the cardboard and luckily it just scratched a minute amount of paint from the cabinet where the back box joins up , right next to the latching mechanism. I was very relieved and signed for it noting the puncture, but all appears fine with the game.i was so excited to get the game going I played the first couple games with the feet screwed all the way in on the back legs.after I raised the back legs I noticed the catapult missed every shot, so increased strength to 31 from 27 and so far 2 for 3 on putting the ball in the chest. The scoop VUK is struggling to eject ball, so I bumped up the strength a bit ,7 to 9, but still having some difficulty ejecting ball. Does the scoop need some slight bending upward to overcome this?
I was hoping to put all the plastic protectors on and all the Cliffs protectors, but still waiting on one more delivery. I think the game is beautiful and a welcome addition. The depth of the game looks great and challenging.

210CC7CC-767F-4938-982C-0CF1F6F1CB05 (resized).jpeg3C6B81AC-AB81-4F56-B574-F3C6002C5899 (resized).jpeg5E54AE44-916A-42D7-8CEE-5B95FBB3C46E (resized).jpegB0B85229-FB2A-42AA-89A2-6C62C2F0057C (resized).jpeg
#8718 8 months ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

Well I am officially in the club...and loving it. The game arrive safe and sound today. The first thing the driver told me was that a fork lift had put a hole in the cardboard. I peeled away at the puncture, dead center about 5 inches from the pallet. The driver took it into my garage and we removed the cardboard and luckily it just scratched a minute amount of paint from the cabinet where the back box joins up , right next to the latching mechanism. I was very relieved and signed for it noting the puncture, but all appears fine with the game.i was so excited to get the game going I played the first couple games with the feet screwed all the way in on the back legs.after I raised the back legs I noticed the catapult missed every shot, so increased strength to 31 from 27 and so far 2 for 3 on putting the ball in the chest. The scoop VUK is struggling to eject ball, so I bumped up the strength a bit ,7 to 9, but still having some difficulty ejecting ball. Does the scoop need some slight bending upward to overcome this?
I was hoping to put all the plastic protectors on and all the Cliffs protectors, but still waiting on one more delivery. I think the game is beautiful and a welcome addition. The depth of the game looks great and challenging.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I am willing to bet that the fork lift driver was trying to push the pallet further into the truck. perfect place to miss.

#pinballinreno has good set-up tips earlier in this thread. I think my catapult has only missed once since I got it dialed in~300 games ago. I have tweaked some of my ball guides with improved results.

My scoop had problems ejecting at one point and I found that the switch actuator was catching on the housing and had to re shaped.

API has some other tips on their support page https://www.american-pinball.com/support/

#8719 8 months ago

So my game is currently at my fathers house. He tried to update to the newest code. After install he unplugged the usb, power cycled the game. The American Pinball logo comes up and then he just gets a blue screen that says no signal. Any ideas?

#8720 8 months ago

I was directed to read the Preliminary manual again and it shows the levelers are tight to the legs for 6.5 incline, so I will revert to this setting and adjust the catapult strength again should be lower power required. The scoop consistently gets balls that will not eject, so aI will bend the scoop up a bit .. the increase in coil strength did nothing.

#8721 8 months ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I was directed to read the Preliminary manual again and it shows the levelers are tight to the legs for 6.5 incline, so I will revert to this setting and adjust the catapult strength again should be lower power required. The scoop consistently gets balls that will not eject, so aI will bend the scoop up a bit .. the increase in coil strength did nothing.

definitely start with levers all the way, most will tell you the game plays best that way and yes, you will need to lower power.

Increasing power on scoop not always better, so try lowering it down, you may then need to try bending scoop slightly. You sort of have to look to see what it is doing.

#8722 8 months ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

Tight against the legs on my game was 5.8 degrees. An ok place to start.

If the pitch is too shallow, balls hang in the subways a bit.

The prelim manual stating 6.5 is totally WRONG! Lol

I questioned this too when I got my game.

This was mentioned way earlier in this thread.

The game plays it's best at 6.0-6.15 degrees.

It's very sensitive to correct pitch.

Buy a digital torpedo level. Way more accurate than a phone app

#8723 8 months ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

To cover the scratch, tape off the inside edge, spray krylon flat black on a paper towel and rub the area a bit until its covered.

Dont go crazy with it.

Degloss it when its dry with a clean paper towel or rag to match it up.

#8724 8 months ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Your floor isn't level, this is the same all over.

Use a level horizontally and vertically.

Pitch is critical. Get an average of about 6 degrees or very slightly more. Not less though.

As level as you can horizontally. Zero would be good.

Power variations affect this game a bit.

So, the factory tested settings will be close but not exact due to your wall power being different.

Spend a bit of time testing and dialing in this game.

It's worth it.

My catapult is at 27. It works perfectly.
I have continuous power displayed in my game room. My wall voltage is 119-120 today.

If you experience drastic changes in catapult behavior, you might be a candidate for the power supply upgrade.

The scoop should just barely get the ball out. It's normal for it to take a couple tries every 10-12 attempts.

If the scoop power is too high it's hard to get it to land the ball onto the right flipper. Too low and it's just annoying.

My scoop is set up +2 or 3 from the default. Playfield pitch affects this too.

Play a ton of games before making an assessment.

#8725 8 months ago

Thanks for the help on this- yes definitely helped to bend the scoop up slightly and i returned the scoop coil to its original setting. Also I did put the leveler back down and reduced it back to 27 . So far 4 out of 5 went right into the chest- now that is a satisfying feeling.

I should have highlighted some of the earlier posts, I waded my way through every 5th page of posts prior to getting the game, 8000 posts was an epic novel that lost me at times. Thanks again for the kind direction, it is playing a lot better now. I will look for a descent inclinometer. I think you are right about the phone - gets a different reading every time i use it.

#8726 8 months ago

Rosh,
Played a 4 player game with the latest code since the reboot snafu (audio knocker culprit) and got thru all 4 games (5 balls) with no issues, no extra balls getting thrown in at random or any other mysterious wackiness!

My REAL Beta Tester is coming over tomorrow to play a few 2 player games with me.
If there's still a bug, she has the knack for exposing or finding them!!! LOL

#8727 8 months ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

Thanks for the help on this- yes definitely helped to bend the scoop up slightly and i returned the scoop coil to its original setting. Also I did put the leveler back down and reduced it back to 27 . So far 4 out of 5 went right into the chest- now that is a satisfying feeling.
I should have highlighted some of the earlier posts, I waded my way through every 5th page of posts prior to getting the game, 8000 posts was an epic novel that lost me at times. Thanks again for the kind direction, it is playing a lot better now. I will look for a descent inclinometer. I think you are right about the phone - gets a different reading every time i use it.

Get a digital torpedo level.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-10-in-Multi-Function-Standard-Digital-Level-THD9403/205999357?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CPB%7C25-28_COMPRESSORS_AND_AIR_TOOL%7CHusky%7CBT3%7CBrand%7CAirTools%7CLIA%7c71700000045008692%7c58700004650922073%7c92700039927177447&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4qvlBRDiARIsAHme6ovDD_Sn5vnpMfJO3E4xSdZUTUpsNNNwXyxEbz4s-Vjym7UCZveJcl4aAo_SEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

amazon.com link »

amazon.com link »

Find my posts on catapult adjustment.

Twisting, turning, elongating metal mounting holes etc. Are all in play to get it perfect.

You should be able to get it to fire 20 times in a row flawlessly with adjustment, pitch and power adjustments.

After this it shouldn't really change unless your wall power drastically changes.

Unlike most other pinball games, Houdini thrives on careful low power adjustments. It plays smooth and purposeful. Not rapid fire and eratic.

To much speed and power, while fun, does not make the game play better.

This includes flipper power.
Too much flipper power just causes stage rejects.

If you feel you need a lot of flipper power, your pitch is way to steep.

#8728 8 months ago

Thank you so much pinballinreno - this has really helped. The ball is now hitting the chest consistently in the middle, and right where the the two parts of the chest are hinged together.

Bending the scoop has dramatically helped with the eject from the scoop.

You are so right about too much power of the flippers. I bumped the left up a couple,mainly to make the ramp. But exactly as you stated - i have been getting consistent rejects at the stage. I will take the left flipper back to default.

#8730 8 months ago

Last night I put in the 4.7 code and played about 20 singe player games without any issues.

Thanks for the continued support on such a great product guys!

#8731 8 months ago

Big shout out to rosh who helped me out through PM with an issue we were having with updating the game. Truly a class act!

#8732 8 months ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I have a couple of digital levels and I like my Diga Pas It is compact and accurate.
amazon.com link »

I really like that one. I have several also that I have collected over the years.
Its perfect for pinball, small and accurate.

Right now I use the GemRed one as it has tenths of a degree.

amazon.com link »

On houdini half of a degree of pitch is meaningful.

#8733 8 months ago

I am really enjoying this game. My best so far is 1.9 mil, a long way to go to get to the magician mode, but great fun trying. I will have to do some reading on the rule set. I am not sure what I did to get 2 Houdini letters, but I think I heard a call out about spelling Houdini while playing Seance and got a jackpot. I have some reading to do. The chain link awards are welcome- as they really help out in the bonus round, but I have no clue what the chain link is. More reading.
I keep encountering an issue with the small API Grand display.It goes blank during a game and I am not sure what brings it back on. Yesterday it went off and I turned the game off and checked every connection and still no display, as I was scrolling through the settings I think I turned on attract mode sounds and it came back on.
However today after 1 game it went blank again and I was unsuccessful it getting it back on. The code is 18.5.4, but I will have to wait till the weekend to use a better laptop to download the newest code. I did a search but did not find any similar posts, any thought about the display issue? Thanks

#8734 8 months ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I am really enjoying this game. My best so far is 1.9 mil, a long way to go to get to the magician mode, but great fun trying. I will have to do some reading on the rule set. I am not sure what I did to get 2 Houdini letters, but I think I heard a call out about spelling Houdini while playing Seance and got a jackpot. I have some reading to do. The chain link awards are welcome- as they really help out in the bonus round, but I have no clue what the chain link is. More reading.
I keep encountering an issue with the small API Grand display.It goes blank during a game and I am not sure what brings it back on. Yesterday it went off and I turned the game off and checked every connection and still no display, as I was scrolling through the settings I think I turned on attract mode sounds and it came back on.
However today after 1 game it went blank again and I was unsuccessful it getting it back on. The code is 18.5.4, but I will have to wait till the weekend to use a better laptop to download the newest code. I did a search but did not find any similar posts, any thought about the display issue? Thanks

Oh man, you need to update! There are some massive differences in the current code for what you have in there. Good game @ 1.9 mil!

#8735 7 months ago

Possible Bug on 4.7.19 code:
Stage marquee LCD said one More Hit to open stage but it was already open.
Ball went in stage and Metamorphis started just fine.

Observation: I did notice the Stage door will open and shut at odd times, showing a locked ball inside on top of the captive ball arm. Just as it starts to lower the stage door will shut and the stage mode will start. Is this normal behavior for the new code?

All in all, I'd say this release is the most stable yet. Played about 8 games so far and no "wackiness"

#8736 7 months ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

Might have a flakey display.
Call API open a ticket.

#8737 7 months ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

If the mini screen goes black for a second and comes back on, dont sweat it. That is happening to me and others once or twice in a game. You can check that wire connections are tight under playfield or under theater cover, but that hasn't had much effect for me. If the screen goes out and stays out, or if it blinks off and on several times in a game, file a service ticket with Barry at API

#8738 7 months ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Observation: I did notice the Stage door will open and shut at odd times, showing a locked ball inside on top of the captive ball arm. Just as it starts to lower the stage door will shut and the stage mode will start. Is this normal behavior for the new code?
All in all, I'd say this release is the most stable yet. Played about 8 games so far and no "wackiness"

I have seen stage-door "reveal" you describe happen on the previous code. I assume it is part of the quirkiness of "now you see it, now you dont." There is also a setting where the stage will eject your ball at the start or end of some modes, like the milkcan. It works most of the time, and the ball will roll down to your flipper.

#8739 7 months ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I agree.
A bit less code related weirdness.
The game seems to play a bit smoother.

I hope for more polishing and optimizing in the near future.

#8740 7 months ago

Just an FYI for anyone interested. I am not a big mod person but I do like the BriteButtons http://www.britemods.com/britebuttons-.html on machines. So with the help from Dan at BriteButtons and Terry at Pinball Life we were able to figure out a set for Houdini. If anyone is interested in adding these to their game all you need to do is .....

(For the most part you follow the instructions on the sheet that comes with the buttons)
Order BriteButtons for Williams/Bally WPC & WPC-95 Machines - I ordered from Pinball Life
Cut the connector off the end and strip back the 2 wires.
Put the red wire into the terminal block with the existing yellow wire
Put the black wire into the terminal block with the existing black wire

(Disclaimer (cuz it’s pinside) I provided the above as an FYI. I am not connected with either Pinball Life nor BriteButtons. I am not a tech so install at your own risk)

4E1882B6-293A-470C-BECB-2CFF190573D2 (resized).jpeg
#8741 7 months ago
Quoted from meSz:

Cut the connector off the end and strip back the 2 wires.
Put the red wire into the terminal block with the existing yellow wire
Put the black wire into the terminal block with the existing black wire

Thank you for posting this info. This was on my list this summer.

Where is the terminal block you used?

#8742 7 months ago

I spoke with Barry this morning and he immediately sent me a couple attachment with things to look at. I tried the oblivious connection points and reseated , but to no avail. I will look at the ribbon attachment to the scaler board.

I will update the code this weekend. Will use a newer laptop that my wife has. This jalopy of a laptop I have now is too old to trust.

#8743 7 months ago

Thank you for posting this info. This was on my list this summer.
Where is the terminal block you used?

3A370047-C0F5-426E-92DB-6BBA6E18D874 (resized).jpeg

Attached a picture for you that shows the entire power supply. You can see on the left side is where I have the red and black wires. Red to yellow and black to black.

#8744 7 months ago
Quoted from meSz:

[quoted image]
Attached a picture for you that shows the entire power supply. You can see on the left side is where I have the red and black wires. Red to yellow and black to black.

Thank you very much!!!! Very helpful!

#8745 7 months ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I will update the code this weekend.

Given you are on ancient code, when you download the code, you will need to rename the file, removing the version number at the end, so the file should then be named:

houdini-gamecode.pkg

#8746 7 months ago
Quoted from meSz:

Just an FYI for anyone interested. I am not a big mod person but I do like the BriteButtons ...

Great info - thanks! I'm a big fan of adding BriteButtons to my games as well.

#8747 7 months ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Great info - thanks! I'm a big fan of adding BriteButtons to my games as well.

I added them to my TSPP and really liked them. Easy to install and I think it adds to the game. They have it now where there's a control pad on them so you can control the blinking/strobing, brightness or just leave them on solid.

I added the orange ones to my game and like them. What I would like to see next is for them to allow you to change colors!

#8748 7 months ago

My game wont update, I insert a USB stick and it says copying audits, reboot machine. The pkg is on there. Its a 32GB stick... odd that it wont read it.

#8749 7 months ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

My game wont update, I insert a USB stick and it says copying audits, reboot machine. The pkg is on there. Its a 32GB stick... odd that it wont read it.

You have to make sure usb stick is swiped, empty. Then after download before copying file to usb stick, make sure none of this is there. (1) , rosh just posted above as well.

#8750 7 months ago

You have to make sure usb stick is swiped, empty. Then after download before copying file to usb stick, make sure none of this is there. (1) , rosh just posted above as well.

Thanks I have re-formatted the drive, tried different drives.. its really odd... it says reading drive for a split second that it says copying audits... and never updates.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Olathe, KS
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
There are 9746 posts in this topic. You are on page 175 of 195.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside