20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 173 of 297.
#8601 5 years ago

On man from beyond I just go straight for that left magic target from the catapult feed to skip the stage bashing.

#8602 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yep, Man From Beyond - my favorite mode in the game! You have to hit the stage three times and then loops, after that Houdini moves around on the screen and you have to hit the corresponding shot (right or left loop or stage) to get the points for "finding" him. This is basically impossible if you start Seance because the floating ghost Seance screen covers up the MFB screen that shows where Houdini is, you just have to keep hitting loops and the stage and hope you hit the one that is currently lit.

I have been wondering if there is an end sequence for this, or if it just continues indefinitely till you lose one of the two balls? Seems like if you hit the shot where ue is hiding, he just moves again.

#8603 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I have been wondering if there is an end sequence for this, or if it just continues indefinitely till you lose one of the two balls? Seems like if you hit the shot where ue is hiding, he just moves again.

Correct, it continues until you are down to one ball.

#8604 5 years ago

Installed the latest beta - great updates! Had a couple of weird pauses but Nothing that kept a game from continuing. Great changes!

#8605 5 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

On man from beyond I just go straight for that left magic target from the catapult feed to skip the stage bashing.

This is a great strategy if you can reliably hit that target but I can't and usually end up with a drain or at least a save from a drain when I miss it. I do get some lucky shots to the magic targets from the slings / magnets (in Seance) but can't reliably hit either one.

#8606 5 years ago

Would someone please post a video of the EOS switch installation? I don't want to solder the wires to the wrong place! Thanks.

#8607 5 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

Would someone please post a video of the EOS switch installation? I don't want to solder the wires to the wrong place! Thanks.

http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2018-11/End-Of-Stroke-Switch.pdf

#8608 5 years ago

I have the PDF. Video would be really helpful.

#8609 5 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

Ok ... I have yet to do mine so apologies can't help ya....maybe someone else can!

#8610 5 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

Video won't show any more. One brown/blue wire plugs into the 3rd spot on the connector. Black wire solders onto the black wires on the switch in the picture.

I don't have a game to show you. But it can't be much simpler than that. Only two wires to solder.

End of stroke leaf blade switch gets mounted like the attached picture. Easy to see which side of bracket it mounts on and where long blade is so pawl pushes it closed.

LTG : )

bec75d06029c6b21c231a4adc61a5606985a93d1 (resized).jpgbec75d06029c6b21c231a4adc61a5606985a93d1 (resized).jpg
#8611 5 years ago

Appreciate it. I'm more confused about the OTHER ends of the wires.

#8612 5 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

Appreciate it. I'm more confused about the OTHER ends of the wires.

Yeah, it’s the ground wires that are soldered in. The second one is difficult to discern. PDF is too small for my eyes too. Why two separate locations to attach the ground wires anyway? I’ve been more of a 90s and earlier collector until I purchased Houdini. Is there something going on with the ground that requires specificity or is it just the reach of the supplied wires? Coincidentally, I’m installing mine tonight.

#8613 5 years ago

Do I need the EOS installed if mine does not have it? What does it help?

#8614 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Is there something going on with the ground that requires specificity or is it just the reach of the supplied wires?

Nothing high tech here. Black wire ( ground ) to black wire ( ground ).

The wires reach to a spot American Pinball thought would be easiest for their customers.

#8615 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

From rosh in an earlier post :

EOS only come into play on flipper knockdowns, where it will refire the 'main power' on the flipper to raise it back up. I do not have them installed on either my machine in the office or at home and have never had an issue, but some have. If you find it happens, then get the kit, easy to install. Those who think it makes the flippers snappier or other such things are suffering from a placebo effect. The kit has the switches with wires attached and the molex pin already on the wire that needs it. https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-end-of-stroke-switch

#8616 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Mine plays great without the EOS switches.

#8617 5 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I understand that some have noted a flipper giving way when balls are stacked during a multi-ball or a weak hit in similar circumstances. Happened to me last night. The flipper gave up the ghost momentarily and dumped three balls down the drain. It’s really weird. I’m hoping this will help. It’s very intermittent with me. We’ll see what it does. If it helps, hooray.

#8618 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The wires reach to a spot American Pinball thought would be easiest for their customers.

Cool. Thanks. Easy peasy.

#8620 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yeah, it's just that WHERE to solder the wires isn't crystal clear in the pictures. Maybe someone who's done this can snap some better pics?

#8621 5 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

Yeah, it's just that WHERE to solder the wires isn't crystal clear in the pictures. Maybe someone who's done this can snap some better pics?

I’ll try when I do it tonight.

#8622 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I understand that some have noted a flipper giving way when balls are stacked during a multi-ball or a weak hit in similar circumstances. Happened to me last night. The flipper gave up the ghost momentarily and dumped three balls down the drain. It’s really weird. I’m hoping this will help. It’s very intermittent with me. We’ll see what it does. If it helps, hooray.

Nope, you need the power supply upgrade to fix they

#8623 5 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

it's just that WHERE to solder the wires isn't crystal clear in the pictures.

Sorry I don't have a game to help you.

#8624 5 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

I didn't buy the "official" kit, just the parts and there were no real instructions available when I did mine so I just picked another switch that was on the same board and close by to solder the respective ground wires to.

#8625 5 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

The black or common wires (whatever color you end up with for common) from the EOS go to the black wire on the inlane or the outlane switches.
Left for left, right for right.

The other wires should have a crimp connector on them and stick into their empty place on the connector on the boards

Look at the inlane switches, there is a black wire on them. solder your EOS switch wires to that one.

If the outlane switches are easier to reach, solder your wires to the black wire on those.

The black wires from all the switches, all go to the same place, they are all connected. So any of the connection places I mentioned will work perfectly. This is why its called common.

#8626 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Nope, you need the power supply upgrade to fix they

Sadly, that’s been in for months. Something else is afoot.

#8627 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Nope. That’s been in for months. Something else afoot.

No kidding? I’ll have to pay more attention on mine- I haven’t noticed since installed mine. Let us know if the EOS works!

#8628 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

No kidding? I’ll have to pay more attention on mine- I haven’t noticed since installed mine. Let us know if the EOS works!

Will do. It’s really odd. If it works, the only downside will be the loss of an excuse for lousy scores.

#8629 5 years ago

Quick confirming dumbo question regarding the Houdini EOS switches. The switches are normally open, correct? If that’s the case, do you just go into the switch test menu and hit the appropriate flipper to see if unused 14 and unused 58 close when the flipper is engaged. Just want to be sure I don’t blow up anything on my shiny, almost new, Houdini. The concept of a normally open EOS switch is new territory for me. I think I get the idea that it’s there to supply more power should it open, but I just want to be sure.

#8630 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Quick confirming dumbo question regarding the Houdini EOS switches. The switches are normally open, correct? If that’s the case, do you just go into the switch test menu and hit the appropriate flipper to see if unused 14 and unused 58 close when the flipper is engaged. Just want to be sure I don’t blow up anything on my shiny, almost new, Houdini. The concept of a normally open EOS switch is new territory for me. I think I get the idea that it’s there to supply more power should it open, but I just want to be sure.

Yes. That's the way to test it.

EDIT:Go to test mode and manually move the flipper all the way up, which will close the gap on the switch.

#8631 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

If you manually knock down a flipper while the button is pressed, it stays down until you release the button and press it again.

Take the glass off, start a game hold down a flipper button and try it. Knock down the flipper with a firm knock. It will stay down.

EOS switches notify the computer that the flipper us down and it pushes it back up, instead of you unpressing and repressing the flipper button during a game.

It has nothing to do with flipper power at all.

Lower your flipper power in the settings if you get a lot of collapses.

A collapse once in awhile is normal and the EOS switches make it barely noticable.

#8632 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

If you manually knock down a flipper while the button is pressed, it stays down until you release the button and press it again.
Take the glass off, start a game hold down a flipper button and try it. Knock down the flipper with a firm knock. It will stay down.
EOS switches notify the computer that the flipper us down and it pushes it back up, instead of you unpressing and repressing the flipper button during a game.
It has nothing to do with flipper power at all.
Lower your flipper power in the settings if you get a lot of collapses.
A collapse once in awhile is normal and the EOS switches make it barely noticable.

I think we are saying the same thing. Once the flipper is energized, push it down, mimicking a collapse, and it will open the EOS switch and it will re-energize or push it back up.

So, when flipper is off/not energized, the EOS is open. When the flipper is on/engaged, the EOS closes.

Right?

#8633 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes. That's the way to test it. Go to test mode and manually move the flipper all the way up, which will open the gap on the switch.

Won’t that close the switch? If not, the switch is normally closed. I think I’m confusing myself.

#8634 5 years ago

BTW, thanks everyone for helping out

#8635 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Won’t that close the switch? If not, the switch is normally closed. I think I’m confusing myself.

EDIT: Maybe I have it backwards - Houdini EOS actually might be normally open and the flipper closes the switch. I'll verify tomorrow.

#8636 5 years ago

Can someone provide me the actual Beta Code. Or do WE know when the official Release comes out?

#8637 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Can someone provide me the actual Beta Code. Or do WE know when the official Release comes out?

Email Josh (or PM rosh here, I guess) for a link to the beta.

#8638 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Those who watched our absolutely riveting seminar at TPF know the answer to this question. Also, if you really know your Houdini Trivia, you can probably guess at when it will be.

#8639 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

do WE know when the official Release comes out

Release is to coincide with what Houdini claimed to be his birthday (April 6th).

#8640 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Release is to coincide with what Houdini claimed to be his birthday (April 6th).

I’m picking up a Houdini on Friday, perfect timing!

#8641 5 years ago

The new factory floor looks very clean and shiny.
Can't wait to see it messy with people, parts and pinball!
Good luck in the move.

#8642 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

The new factory floor looks very clean and shiny.
Can't wait to see it messy with people, parts and pinball!

Not at American Pinball. Look at the current factory. Spotless.

#8643 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not at American Pinball. Look at the current factory. Spotless.

Yes it is so clean and colorful, it reminds me of one of those lego building stores in the mall, or a build-a-bear workshop.

#8644 5 years ago

Just wondered if Barry was away or uncontactable at the moment , have emailed twice over the last week about a current service ticket and have not received a reply ?
Thanks.

#8645 5 years ago
Quoted from Crazydaisy:

Just wondered if Barry was away or uncontactable at the moment , have emailed twice over the last week about a current service ticket and have not received a reply ?
Thanks.

If I am correct I thought he was at a show this past week so it might just be as simple as him being a little behind on work.

May want to post your issue here and someone might be able to help ya!

#8646 5 years ago
Quoted from Crazydaisy:

Thanks.

He's decompressing after TPF.

arnold terminating a joint.gifarnold terminating a joint.gif
#8647 5 years ago

Thanks , the solution is a power supply, apparently AP are trying to find an economical solution for the Australian and EU customers.
Houdini is an awesome game but really falls over when both multi balls , magnets and catapult are all going off at the same time , the flippers just feel like soft bananas and inconsistent catapult even on its own.
Have fitted eos as well.

#8648 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

He's decompressing after TPF.

Barry sadly wasn't there.

Maybe the industry show in Las Vegas ?

#8649 5 years ago
Quoted from Crazydaisy:

Thanks.

Just checked with Barry, your emails were in his junk folder. You should hear from him shortly.

Quoted from Crazydaisy:

Thanks , the solution is a power supply, apparently AP are trying to find an economical solution for the Australian and EU customers.

Make sure you are in contact with your distributor, I believe a solution will be available shortly if not already.

#8650 5 years ago
Quoted from Crazydaisy:

Houdini is an awesome game but really falls over when both multi balls , magnets and catapult are all going off at the same time , the flippers just feel like soft bananas and inconsistent catapult even on its own.
Have fitted eos as well.

Yes. The upgraded power supply makes the game way more snappy when under load.

In fact an even bigger one that what is offered might be a good idea.

It's all about usable power in the game.

The upgrade is a little like "buck/boost" in that it adapts to conditions in the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 173 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/173 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.