Topic Stats

• 8,891 posts
  • 534 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by CUJO
  • Topic is favorited by 147 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,214 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190419_134025 (resized).jpg
20190419_132939 (resized).jpg
20190419_135208 (resized).jpg
20190419_132855 (resized).jpg
20190419_133359 (resized).jpg
20190419_132925 (resized).jpg
20190419_133054 (resized).jpg
20190419_133117 (resized).jpg
20190419_135240(0) (resized).jpg
20190417_204330 (resized).jpg
20190415_210345 (resized).jpg
20190414_123824 (resized).jpg
BC7F7E2B-BF1A-4D00-8C90-D2CDD892C1D4 (resized).jpeg
2013-07-16_065304 (resized).jpg
20190410_175310 (resized).jpg
3A370047-C0F5-426E-92DB-6BBA6E18D874 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 8891 posts in this topic. You are on page 171 of 178.
#8501 38 days ago
Quoted from meSz:

Anyone know how to .....
1. Add a Custom Message to the machine? I know how to turn it on and off but not sure how or where you type in the message!
2. Any instructions on how to install the update power supply. The new power supply comes with the wires, all connectors on it, with it but no instructions as to what is to plug in where.
3. Lastly, I ordered the EOS for the flippers so if anyone is familiar with installing the kit from AP. Haven't received them yet but figured I would ask while posting my other questions!
Thanks!

The power supply barely fits in the recommended space. I used rubber grommets as spacers and noise isolation, post 8344 and 8345 page 167

#8502 38 days ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

I added my foam eye light blockers to my pinside shop. Photo shows one with and one without.
[quoted image]

Just ordered, looks great!

Thanks for offering these.

#8503 37 days ago

I changed the LED strip in the back of the playfield to red. It extends the "red curtain", adds a bit more mystique and really shows off the spotlights on the trunk and API grand.

Houdini rd (resized).jpg

#8504 37 days ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I changed the LED strip in the back of the playfield to red. It extends the "red curtain", adds a bit more mystique and really shows off the spotlights on the trunk and API grand.
[quoted image]

Interesting idea - did you replace the strip or just add a gel or what?

#8505 37 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

Use a PNG image 1366x768
Call it custom_message.png (I think, not at computer)
Put on usb stick
Power on game
Insert usb into usb extension cable in cabinet
Follow display info about removing and restarting
Turn on in settings

Thanks Rosh

#8506 37 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Interesting idea - did you replace the strip or just add a gel or what?

I did replace the strip with 2 comet 8in red LED strips plugging each one into a gi lamp. I had to dbl sticky the black bracket back on. You could probably just stick on some red tail light tape from an auto store. But the red LED will be deeper red. It really looks sharp in person.

#8507 37 days ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I did replace the strip with 2 comet 8in red LED strips plugging each one into a gi lamp. I did have to dbl sticky the black bracket back on. You could probably just stick on some red tail light tap from an auto store. But the red LED will probably be deeper red. I really looks sharp in person.

That does look good. Id have thought cool colors would work better, so the red is surprising. I am afraid to touch thr black strip hood because I dont know if it will stick back up there.

#8508 37 days ago

Anybody have their game booted after submitting some initials for high scores? This might have to do with my new power supply, but I thought that I checked if others have had the same phenomenon and that it would e.g. be a firmware issue instead.

#8509 37 days ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Anybody have their game booted after submitting some initials for high scores? This might have to do with my new power supply, but I thought that I checked if others have had the same phenomenon and that it would e.g. be a firmware issue instead.

Which version?

#8510 37 days ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

That does look good. Id have thought cool colors would work better, so the red is surprising. I am afraid to touch thr black strip hood because I dont know if it will stick back up there.

On mine it's not taped up.
It's just a slight friction fit from 3 screws that hold only the edge of it.

Comes off and installs very easy.

#8511 37 days ago

I have installed the latest one, Houdini v18.12.12.

#8512 37 days ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Yeah that black metal piece is held in place by the LED strip thats mounted to a metal bracket and pinches the black piece in place. A few tabs of exterior double sticky will hold it just fiine.

#8513 37 days ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Yeah that black metal piece is held in place by the LED strip thats mounted to a metal bracket and pinches the black piece in place. A few tabs of exterior double sticky will hold it just fiine.

I’m going to add sticky tape regardless - mine keeps falling off over and over again

#8514 36 days ago

I was in my local consignment shop. I noticed this and am thinking it could be a potential topper for my Houdini.

What do you think? It is kind of pricy though.

Michael

B50F841E-E889-43F0-93C7-0C4CBECEF72F (resized).jpeg

#8515 36 days ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I was in my local consignment shop. I noticed this and am thinking it could be a potential topper for my Houdini.
Michael
[quoted image]

That's actually one of the cheaper prices I've seen for that toy. They can go for up to $100.

#8516 36 days ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Michael
[quoted image]

Mike buy it, that’s a good $$

#8517 36 days ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Michael
[quoted image]

personally I dislike the monkey in the game and have turned off the match play. I think it is his distressed look that bothers me.

The vintage monkey you found at least looks pleasant, at least he is dressed nice. depending on the voltage you might be able to integrate into the game.

#8518 35 days ago
Quoted from Platypus:

personally I dislike the monkey in the game and have turned off the match play. I think it is his distressed look that bothers me.
The vintage monkey you found at least looks pleasant, at least he is dressed nice. depending on the voltage you might be able to integrate into the game.

I think the monkey has migrated to Octoberfest.

#8519 35 days ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I think the monkey has migrated to Octoberfest.

He's a ramblin travelin monkey.

LTG : )

#8520 35 days ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I do believe the monkey is distressed for a very good reason....

#8521 34 days ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Joined the club today. Still have to get it unloaded[quoted image]

What happened......? Saw your game listed for sale.

#8522 30 days ago

At API panel today, Josh announced that Houdini code update is available for beta on March 24, Houdini's birthday. The published update will be April 6, I believe. Send note to to Josh if you want to test.

20190323_170925 (resized).jpg
#8523 29 days ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

At API panel today, Josh announced that Houdini code update is available for beta on March 24, Houdini's birthday. The published update will be April 6, I believe. Send note to to Josh if you want to test.
[quoted image]

Any more AP news?

#8524 29 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Any more AP news?

Sure. Any new Houdinis that get produced will ship with the new Oktoberfest power system. Oktoberfest ships in april. Joe took a poll of the seminar audience on enthusiasm for the 4 titles they trademarked. Sherlock Holmes was tops by far, with Poker run a mild second. But then Josh joked that they wouldnt develop the title we like most because they wouldnt live up to our inflated expectations. Ha!. Oktoberfest had longest consistent lines at the show except for Spooky's Nightmare Castle, and the two Safecrackers on the floor. CGC should remake safecracker, looks like. BTW, API fed us brats and beer for their seminar, and gave out prizes for quiz winners. Very classy and fun!

#8525 29 days ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Sure. Any new Houdinis that get produced will ship with the new Oktoberfest power system. Oktoberfest ships in april. Joe took a poll of the seminar audience on enthusiasm for the 4 titles they trademarked. Sherlock Holmes was tops by far, with Poker run a mild second. But then Josh joked that they wouldnt develop the title we like most because they wouldnt live up to our inflated expectations. Ha!. Oktoberfest had longest consistent lines at the show except for Spooky's Nightmare Castle, and the two Safecrackers on the floor. CGC should remake safecracker, looks like. BTW, API fed us brats and beer for their seminar, and gave out prizes for quiz winners. Very classy and fun!

Also, API hasnt fully moved into the new 35K foot facility, but when they do they will have 3 assembly lines, and suggested that they could produce other people's machines. And they are looking at other coin-op besides pinball. Joe said that some of the team were back at the office working on games 3, 4, and 5. And the company CEO told me he hoped for a third machine to launch this year!

#8526 29 days ago

Want to thank all of you came by our booth to play Oktoberfest and Houdini as well as those who attended our seminar.

I see a bunch of you are interested in beta testing. Give me a day to recover and then I’ll get back to you.

Time to board, I’ll be back on line later or tomorrow.

#8527 29 days ago

I have been on the fence for a while , but finally decided to purchase a Houdini. I looked at the market and saw some reasonable used games for sale, but in the end I wanted a NIB with the warranty.Normally I like to sell off a game to help fund a new one, but considering that as of 4/1 sales tax will be tacked onto the deal- I just made the purchase.
I have already ordered a set of Cliffy's protectors and a set of plastic protectors for the game.
I am still in the process of reading this thread- but with over 8000, i am just reading every 5th page and am still in the process. I have been conversing with Ericpinballfan on the side and am inspired by his love of the game. Talked to a few haters of the game complaining of the tight shots. I see it as a challenge. I had a TSPP for 3 years and could only make it 1/2 way to the wizard mode, but still loved the game.
Hopefully I will be a member in good standing.
Cheers

#8528 29 days ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Nice! Thanks for the write-up! And screw you for getting free brats and beer!

Sounds like it was one of the better received seminars! I guess WOZ is going out the door, and I know what’s next...

#8529 29 days ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I have been on the fence for a while , but finally decided to purchase a Houdini. I looked at the market and saw some reasonable used games for sale, but in the end I wanted a NIB with the warranty.Normally I like to sell off a game to help fund a new one, but considering that as of 4/1 sales tax will be tacked onto the deal- I just made the purchase.
I have already ordered a set of Cliffy's protectors and a set of plastic protectors for the game.
I am still in the process of reading this thread- but with over 8000, i am just reading every 5th page and am still in the process. I have been conversing with Ericpinballfan on the side and am inspired by his love of the game. Talked to a few haters of the game complaining of the tight shots. I see it as a challenge. I had a TSPP for 3 years and could only make it 1/2 way to the wizard mode, but still loved the game.
Cheers

Good for you. There are a whole lot of us who really love Houdini; you may see my posts sprinkled here and there. I see AP as the absolute best combo of price and features out there, and you really can-not go wrong with Houdini. I complained and moaned that i didn’t get my game until 6 months after ordering - and it’s still worth it, and still played almost every day. Game is cripplingly deep - or perhaps “wide” is a better term, as you have so many different paths to choose from. The modes are fun, the shots are great, what more do you want?

The complaining about the tight shots.. my goodness has that gotten out of control. I recently had an IMDN and it has shots just as tight (if not more tight - hello left ramp!). Enjoy it. Make sure you give it time to settle - and by god make sure you level it to LESS than 6.5; that is key. 6.2 or something. That is absolutely critical.

#8530 29 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Good for you. There are a whole lot of us who really love Houdini; you may see my posts sprinkled here and there. I see AP as the absolute best combo of price and features out there, and you really can-not go wrong with Houdini. I complained and moaned that i didn’t get my game until 6 months after ordering - and it’s still worth it, and still played almost every day. Game is cripplingly deep - or perhaps “wide” is a better term, as you have so many different paths to choose from. The modes are fun, the shots are great, what more do you want?
The complaining about the tight shots.. my goodness has that gotten out of control. I recently had an IMDN and it has shots just as tight (if not more tight - hello left ramp!). Enjoy it. Make sure you give it time to settle - and by god make sure you level it to LESS than 6.5; that is key. 6.2 or something. That is absolutely critical.

Hey thanks rdoyle1978 for the encouragement. I have seen posts about making sure the catapult is straight and the scoop is aligned to hit the right flipper. I will post the date on the game when it gets here, but wondering if it will need a code update and something about a power supply. I will try to read more posts tonight.
I have enjoyed the game every time I have played it and knowing me ..I will find the rule set and just immerse myself into it.

#8531 29 days ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

Hey thanks rdoyle1978 for the encouragement. I have seen posts about making sure the catapult is straight and the scoop is aligned to hit the right flipper. I will post the date on the game when it gets here, but wondering if it will need a code update and something about a power supply. I will try to read more posts tonight.
I have enjoyed the game every time I have played it and knowing me ..I will find the rule set and just immerse myself into it.

Definitely update the code - there is a new update coming the first week of April

You may or may not need the power upgrade - it’s $150, but the team gives you a coupon to use in their store. Aaaaand that reminds me I havent used mine!

You may have to set up your game a bit - align the scoop and set the catapult strength .. but that’s the case with every single NIB game, so no big deal. If something seems weird just ask right here!

#8532 29 days ago

Interesting read here, but still really no more data than what's been presented prior.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/what-caused-harry-houdinis-mysterious-death

#8533 28 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

Interesting read here, but still really no more data than what's been presented prior.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/what-caused-harry-houdinis-mysterious-death

Cool article.... Thanks

#8534 28 days ago

Made it to Master Magician mode for the first time tonight, Movie Binge before that and had Escape ready to go too. There is a LOT of information scrolling on the screen when MM starts up, I definitely couldn't process it all while waiting for the reversed / inverted flippers to start. Then when I got down to one ball it said shoot the right loop, I did that and the screen was blank so I was no longer sure exactly what to shoot for. One heck of a fun game though, would like to see better / more useful info on the screen during the MM mode so hopeful that is still a WIP.

#8535 28 days ago

Anyone try the new beta code yet? Thoughts/changes?

#8536 28 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

I see a bunch of you are interested in beta testing.

Do we need to make a video again ?

#8537 28 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

December was a long time ago...

#8538 28 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

#8539 28 days ago

Damn, now I just feel outright awkward for writing the exact same message earlier to Josh.

Lloyd, you're the best man. Truly the best!

#8540 27 days ago

Here is a video of master magician mode instructions.

#8541 27 days ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

Cheers

Consider Convolex (sp?) colored plastic protectors. Really pops.

#8542 27 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Definitely update the code - there is a new update coming the first week of April
You may or may not need the power upgrade - it’s $150, but the team gives you a coupon to use in their store. Aaaaand that reminds me I havent used mine!
You may have to set up your game a bit - align the scoop and set the catapult strength .. but that’s the case with every single NIB game, so no big deal. If something seems weird just ask right here!

Josh says the power problem affected people in the Northeast primarily, where the juice consistency sucks.

#8543 27 days ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Josh says the power problem affected people in the Northeast primarily, where the juice consistency sucks.

Also reports from the Mid-Atlantic, western desert states, CA... IMO better safe than sorry. I did not really feel it affected the game too much, but I did notice a dip in the flipper strength occasionally when in a multiball and a magnet was fired. It was noticeable - you
Literally can feel it- but I can’t say it affected gameplay that much. However it has not reoccurred since installed that thing.

#8544 27 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I did notice a dip in the flipper strength occasionally when in a multiball

I am experiencing this as well. During multiball if I have the flipper cradling a ball and another ball comes down the flipper will give for a brief moment. Barry felt it was the EOS. Nonetheless, and to your point, I went ahead and ordered the power supply then used the code to order the EOS, Art Blades and Shaker Motor (which I recommend).

#8545 27 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

Damn, now I just feel outright awkward for writing the exact same message earlier to Josh.

You have a Houdini. So hopefully Josh will let you Beta test it.

I don't have the game. Just the monkey.

#8546 27 days ago
Quoted from meSz:

I am experiencing this as well. During multiball if I have the flipper cradling a ball and another ball comes down the flipper will give for a brief moment. Barry felt it was the EOS. Nonetheless, and to your point, I went ahead and ordered the power supply then used the code to order the EOS, Art Blades and Shaker Motor (which I recommend).

Flipper power settings are a bit critical on Houdini. Right around default or +1 at about 6.1 or 6.2 degrees pitch.

Once dialled in, and with EOS switches and power supply upgrade, the problem goes away and is seldom seen.

#8547 27 days ago

Anyone ever have the issue of the computer not coming on? I have to take the back glass off every time I want to play and press the button on the computer. No issues after this. Any ideas on a fix? I turn it on and it is no signal, push that button and it works no problem, but why does it go off/asleep and not come on with the power switch? I know this is not correct just not sure how to solve this issue. TIA for any help

#8548 27 days ago
Quoted from gentrsa:

Anyone ever have the issue of the computer not coming on? I have to take the back glass off every time I want to play and press the button on the computer. No issues after this. Any ideas on a fix? I turn it on and it is no signal, push that button and it works no problem, but why does it go off/asleep and not come on with the power switch? I know this is not correct just not sure how to solve this issue. TIA for any help

sounds like the BIOS is messed up. is this a new issue? You will need to hook up a keyboard via the USB extension cable and reset it. I will send you some instructions to re-enable it.

#8549 27 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

sounds like the BIOS is messed up. is this a new issue? You will need to hook up a keyboard via the USB extension cable and reset it. I will send you some instructions to re-enable it.

Thank you for the instructions will work on this tonight. It started when the machine was packed and moved and upon setup again it happened. Again, thanks for the instructions! Love the game

#8550 27 days ago
Quoted from meSz:

Others have installed the EOS as well, but the power upgrade was sufficient for me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 39.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rochester, NY
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Albany, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 129.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
6,350 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 8891 posts in this topic. You are on page 171 of 178.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside