20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 169 of 297.
#8401 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I would need to know more about when this is happening, can't say I have ever seen it. What mode were you in?

I was deep into a game.

It was the 7th act.

Just made the stage for vanishing elephant.

Mini Screen went black.

Backbox screen was not affected and was perfect

Shaker engaged.

Slight pause as always on that act.

Ball exited the scoop, screen went back on.

First time I have seen this.

I made all of the 10 acts, got the bonus, 6 Houdini letters, played 3 more balls finished just shy of 5 million.

Mini screen was perfect throughout.

I thought maybe a loose wire due to the shaker, but maybe code?

#8402 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It happens pretty infrequently. I chalked it up to software lag during a garbage collection or something. I'll try to pay more attention. I don't think it's mode-specific off the top of my head.

This happens on my game - but boy is it rare. Maybe once a week, and I play every night. It felt to me like too much to process for the game or hardware to catch up, yes.

#8403 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I was deep into a game.
It was the 7th act.
Just made the stage for vanishing elephant.
Mini Screen went black.
Backbox screen was not affected and was perfect
Shaker engaged.
Slight pause as always on that act.
Ball exited the scoop, screen went back on.
First time I have seen this.
I made all of the 10 acts, got the bonus, 6 Houdini letters, played 3 more balls finished just shy of 5 million.
Mini screen was perfect throughout.
I thought maybe a loose wire due to the shaker, but maybe code?

That’s a hell of a game! Nice job

#8404 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

That’s a hell of a game! Nice job

Yeah it was a great game! Although was a second place score

I was trying for the 7th Houdini letter then I could have been number one! Lol

Lost my 2 extra balls going for it !

I've been working on movie modes and jail escapes.

Houdini is AMAZING!
And will only get better with refined code.

This game is going to be WORLD CLASS!

Josh, quit getting distracted by fine Bavarian beers and pretty German girls! Lol

Get on a few more code updates!

Houdini us where its at!

(Yes I'm into the rum again...)

Thanks!

#8405 5 years ago

Yeah it was a great game! Although was a second place score
I was trying for the 7th Houdini letter then I could have been number one! Lol
Lost my 2 extra balls going for it !
I've been working on movie modes and jail escapes.
Houdini is AMAZING!
And will only get better with refined code.
This game is going to be WORLD CLASS!
Josh, quit getting distracted by fine Bavarian beers and pretty German girls! Lol
Get on a few more code updates!
Houdini us where its at!
(Yes I'm into the rum again...)
Thanks!

Here's to rum, Bavarian beer, German girls, AND pinball! Oh, and Houdini too!

#8406 5 years ago

What kind of rum?
Mount Gay is my number one!

#8407 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

What kind of rum?

Love mount gay rum!

#8408 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I would need to know more about when this is happening, can't say I have ever seen it. What mode were you in?

I noticed this happening for first time after the late summer software release, and It has increased in frequency ever since. When the ball is hit into the open stage and lands in the saucer, whatever image is in the mini screen at that moment immediately blacks out for about 1 second, then reappears. It happens at the moment of impact, maybe 1 in 3 times I make that shot. I dont recall for certain if it happens on bounce outs from the stage, but it definitely happens when the ball lands and stays in the saucer. I think it happens when starting any stage mode, but I havent tried to see if it is specific to any mode. I sent my miniscreen to Barry for a ribbon fix, should arrive today.

#8409 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I suggest that everyone with a Houdini check their pop bumper plunger rings to make sure they are tight. After looking at the above post, I checked and found one to be very loose, a second to be a little loose and the third was tight. If they are loose you need to tighten them back up from above by simply tightening the screws on the top of the "caps". This will tighten the whole stack assembly. Fortunately this can be done from above without removing any components and only takes a minute. Hopefully with them tight, they won't break... Not sure it would be a great idea to put Loctite in here in case it ever needs to be taken apart, but a tiny dab might be just what is needed to prevent this from happening.

Good advice to check the other pop bumper plunger rings. After fixing my broken one, I checked the other two and 3 of the 4 screws were loose. I pulled each one apart, polished the underside of the ring and put a small dab of blue Loctite (#242) where the hex shaft meets the pop bumper "nail". Be careful not to over tighten them as the threaded end is a little delicate. Thanks again to Barry and API for getting my replacement parts sent out so quickly.

Houdini_Pop_Bumper_Ring (resized).jpgHoudini_Pop_Bumper_Ring (resized).jpg
#8410 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I noticed this happening for first time after the late summer software release, and It has increased in frequency ever since. When the ball is hit into the open stage and lands in the saucer, whatever image is in the mini screen at that moment immediately blacks out for about 1 second, then reappears. It happens at the moment of impact, maybe 1 in 3 times I make that shot. I dont recall for certain if it happens on bounce outs from the stage, but it definitely happens when the ball lands and stays in the saucer. I think it happens when starting any stage mode, but I havent tried to see if it is specific to any mode. I sent my miniscreen to Barry for a ribbon fix, should arrive today.

That certainly sounds like a hardware/cable issue.

#8411 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

What kind of rum?

Quoted from Hdmike444:

Love mount gay rum!

Well, I've always been a cheap date...

Kirkland spiced rum.
Neat, on the rocks or with diet coke is where I'm at or kirkland Irish Whisky, OTR

Fall/Winter for me is about Rum and Whisky.

Summer brings out the Beer! Pabst and Jameson's (Pb&J ?) But I prefer the kirkland...lol

But always Pinball every night with 80's mix on the Sonos 5 and a truck load of mushroom popcorn from my standup popcorn popper.

#8412 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

That certainly sounds like a hardware/cable issue.

This is what I was thinking.
I haven't taken it apart yet to look at it.

I'll see if its mode specific and repeatable.

I do know that a couple of the modes have longer pauses before they take hold if there's a lot going on in the game,

That's when you usually get the free extra ball once in awhile.

Could be as simple as adding a little hot glue over the connector.

#8413 5 years ago

So I "hope" I have narrowed it down to this not being plugged in but my son as my witness where in the heck does this USB end go!!!!! Oh my gosh this makes my brain itch

IMG_0263 (resized).JPGIMG_0263 (resized).JPGIMG_0264 (resized).JPGIMG_0264 (resized).JPG
#8414 5 years ago
Quoted from gentrsa:

So I "hope" I have narrowed it down to this not being plugged in but my son as my witness where in the heck does this USB end go!!!!! Oh my gosh this makes my brain itch[quoted image][quoted image]

No. That is used to download new code. Sorry.

#8415 5 years ago
Quoted from gentrsa:

So I "hope" I have narrowed it down to this not being plugged in but my son as my witness where in the heck does this USB end go!!!!! Oh my gosh this makes my brain itch[quoted image][quoted image]

Power on the game and look at the boards under that flap and report back what you see (take photos) , did you check if computer was powering on?

Also that usb likely connects to another one that then goes closer to the front of the cabinet unless it is a very early game

#8416 5 years ago

Thanks for the help but I will have to get back to this after RetroJax this weekend, got to pack the trailer now, leaving tomorrow so I guess next week it is, but again thanks for all the help!

#8417 5 years ago

Do you ever have something that you never really noticed but once you do notice it or is brought to your attention really starts to bug you?

Hdmike444 brought up Houdini’s eyes back in post #8288 page166. I didn’t understand until I realized the eye inserts are bigger than the irises. So I decided to do my own fix today. Out in the shop I found a drawer of rubber grommets. The hole size is 7/16 and a 1/2” grommet fits snug. I still got some light bleed on the rest of the insert so I found some rubber washers and put those in first. It’s not perfect bet a lot better.

F984C9DF-09AF-4327-826D-ED5D502EC93F (resized).jpegF984C9DF-09AF-4327-826D-ED5D502EC93F (resized).jpeg

I had a flat sided grommet that I think would work better than the rounded ones and allow skipping the flat washer.
858C4D73-37E6-4470-ABF9-102C63C163A4 (resized).jpeg858C4D73-37E6-4470-ABF9-102C63C163A4 (resized).jpeg

35DFBA78-89B8-4643-ADFD-F03BE383E3E2 (resized).jpeg35DFBA78-89B8-4643-ADFD-F03BE383E3E2 (resized).jpeg
#8418 5 years ago

My other change today was to add a light strip to the back box to better light the crowd. I found some cheap light strips on ebay, added a molex connector and spliced into the back box gi. The 50 cm is a perfect length

ebay.com link: 30 50CM 5050 5630 7020 SMD 21 36LED Aluminum Alloy Shell Cabinet Strip Light Bar

A2123B62-2706-48FC-B5BE-D1A9DDCFDCB9 (resized).jpegA2123B62-2706-48FC-B5BE-D1A9DDCFDCB9 (resized).jpegE3F51772-C78A-4AAB-B019-A786AC49901B (resized).jpegE3F51772-C78A-4AAB-B019-A786AC49901B (resized).jpeg

#8419 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Do you ever have something that you never really noticed but once you do notice it or is brought to your attention really starts to bug you?
Hdmike444 brought up Houdini’s eyes back in post #8288 page166. I didn’t understand until I realized the eye inserts are bigger than the irises. So I decided to do my own fix today. Out in the shop I found a drawer of rubber grommets. The hole size is 7/16 and a 1/2” grommet fits snug. I still got some light bleed on the rest of the insert so I found some rubber washers and put those in first. It’s not perfect bet a lot better.
[quoted image]
I had a flat sided grommet that I think would work better than the rounded ones and allow skipping the flat washer.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Way to go!

#8420 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

[quoted image]

How did you get my drawer of grommets?

#8421 5 years ago

Spoke with Barry this morning and he just made life easy

#8422 5 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Spoke with Barry this morning and he just made life easy

It may seem like that now, but drugs are not the answer.

#8423 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It may seem like that now, but drugs are not the answer.

Probably not drugs, but I bet tequila was mentioned.

#8424 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Probably not drugs, but I bet tequila was mentioned.

#8425 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

[quoted image]

Looks better this way, I am going to be mass producing the foam ones I bought and selling them in my store within the next week or two.
I’m thinking $8 shipped, but will confirm once I have the exact sizes figured out. They will be a simple peel and stick.

#8426 5 years ago

I think I spotted a Houdini back there.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#8427 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

My other change today was to add a light strip to the back box to better light the crowd. I found some cheap light strips on ebay, added a molex connector and spliced into the back box gi. The 50 cm is a perfect length
ebay.com link » 30 50cm 5050 5630 7020 Smd 21 36led Aluminum Alloy Shell Cabinet Strip Light Bar

I added a strip of warm 12v LEDs to mine. It's a simple two touch solder and your rolling. Also added two foam beer seal strips on the curtain so light would not get to the display. Great simple solution.

#8428 5 years ago

I need suggestions please

1 - Does anyone make a decent undercab lighting set up for this game? Would love one that changes colors with the game but doesn't have to be as full on as the Rock ones as I think they flash and go a little too crazy for my tastes. One like the Lermods one in my MBR would be great (it taps into the color changing speaker panel)

2 - I got some illuminated flipper buttons from pinball life and according to Scott they just need to be hooked up to a constant 12V source - can anyone tell me where I should hook these up to on the game?

TIA

#8429 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

I need suggestions please
1 - Does anyone make a decent undercab lighting set up for this game? Would love one that changes colors with the game but doesn't have to be as full on as the Rock ones as I think they flash and go a little too crazy for my tastes. One like the Lermods one in my MBR would be great (it taps into the color changing speaker panel)

Here you go DIY $14: https://www.menards.com/main/lighting-ceiling-fans/outdoor-lighting/rope-string-lights/patriot-lighting-reg-16-rgb-led-flexible-tape-light/gt-rgb-ltp/p-1509431387263-c-14318.htm?tid=8581349817964310455&ipos=1

IR, not Bluetooth or sound activated. Other choice is to look up 'sound activated LED tape" on Ebay. I ordered one that is only blue for Aerosmith, and it just varies intensity w/respect to sound.

#8430 5 years ago

Still curious about a code update!

#8431 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Patience Grasshopper.

#8432 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I've sent him two bug reports within the last week so it may be a little longer wait unless those were both known issues already.

#8433 5 years ago

With all of the activity surrounding Octoberfest I imagine that we are back burner priority for at least a couple weeks.

#8434 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

With all of the activity surrounding Octoberfest I imagine that we are back burner priority for at least a couple weeks.

I'm sure you're right - it's just that Josh has posted about a number of issues / updates since December, and I figured it might mean we are due for an update. Not complaining; the game is quite finished already, but I love all the little tweaks and jokes he puts in.

#8435 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm sure you're right - it's just that Josh has posted about a number of issues / updates since December, and I figured it might mean we are due for an update. Not complaining; the game is quite finished already, but I love all the little tweaks and jokes he puts in.

I think there will be an update in a couple weeks, near or around TPF as Josh has stated.
@pinballgoddess and I will be at TPF looking forward to saying hi to Barry and team.
Very much look forward to seeing and playing Oktoberfest, It just looks fun!

#8436 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Quoted from Platypus:

Patience Grasshopper.

Quoted from bobukcat:

I've sent him two bug reports within the last week so it may be a little longer wait unless those were both known issues already.

Yup, blame bobukcat

Quoted from Platypus:

Certainly busy with Oktoberfest and some of those enhancements/fixes also making their way into Houdini.

I think there will be an update in a couple weeks, near or around TPF as Josh has stated.

I will be at TPF looking forward to saying hi to Barry and team.
Very much look forward to seeing and playing Oktoberfest, It just looks fun!

Oktoberfest is definitely fun to play. I'll be at TPF, with Joe Balcer and Jim Thornton, but Barry will not be there. Be sure to attend our seminar, lots of good stuff there.

#8437 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Oktoberfest is definitely fun to play. I'll be at TPF, with Joe Balcer and Jim Thornton, but Barry will not be there. Be sure to attend our seminar, lots of good stuff there.

Always great to see Joe and Jim and Josh ! I am sad I'll miss Barry. He's a great tech to chat with.

LTG : )

#8438 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Barry will not be there

That's a shame, he's a great guy!

Probably gone to Austria to pick up custom API lederhosen for the team...

#8439 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I'll be at TPF, with Joe Balcer and Jim Thornton

Do you know if Dhaval or Nirmal will be there ?

Thank you.

#8440 5 years ago

That's a shame, he's a great guy!
Probably gone to Austria to pick up custom API lederhosen for the team...

Barry mentioned he went to 11 shows last year, but this year he's not traveling. Still good to see other API wizards at TPF. Maybe I'll lug the Houdini apron down for them to sign.

#8441 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Yup, blame bobukcat

Certainly busy with Oktoberfest and some of those enhancements/fixes also making their way into Houdini.

All of this is great news, can’t wait to play Oktoberfest too !

#8442 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Do you know if Dhaval or Nirmal will be there ?
Thank you.

I believe Dhaval will be there

#8443 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

enhancements/fixes also making their way into Houdini

Otto better come out of the magic shop in future code.

#8444 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Otto better come out of the magic shop in future code.

LOL what?! Now that would be funny. How about Herman Munster?

#8445 5 years ago

Need some help... there is something wrong with my Houdini. Every time you hit a flipper button it scores points like its activating a target or something.

Anyone had this problem. Let me know.

#8446 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Need some help... there is something wrong with my Houdini. Every time you hit a flipper button it scores points like its activating a target or something.

Probably a switch that is too close to closed all the time, put the game in switch edges test mode then bang on the playfield with your hand and you will probably see which one(s) are being triggered.

#8447 5 years ago

Had a weird one tonight. During trunk multiball got into the inner loop and when it shot into the trunk, a ball dropped into the cabinet. I heard the thunk so I knew something was wrong. No idea if it went under the upper catapult or where the hell it can sneak through.

#8448 5 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

Had a weird one tonight. During trunk multiball got into the inner loop and when it shot into the trunk, a ball dropped into the cabinet. I heard the thunk so I knew something was wrong. No idea if it went under the upper catapult or where the hell it can sneak through.

Likely it went under the catapult and slipped past the coil base. Happened to me once, too.

#8449 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

likely a stuck switch, how many points is awarding? I can probably help isolate it. But as suggested, going into switch test, and looking for a stuck switch and/or banging the playfield will likely shed light.

Quoted from kdecgp:

No idea if it went under the upper catapult or where the hell it can sneak through.

Also check that the subway is correctly positioned and not hanging off or something, HOWEVER, don't over tighten it, as can then result int he ball getting suck behind the mech.

#8450 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Barry mentioned he went to 11 shows last year, but this year he's not traveling. Still good to see other API wizards at TPF. Maybe I'll lug the Houdini apron down for them to sign.

I have been taken out of retirement..

Looks like Dhaval wants me to go to a couple of shows.

Thinking I might go to Freeplay this year, last year had to cancel at the last minute.
Pinburg
Southern fried
Kalamazoo, Pinball at the ZOO

But I need to confirm these shows with team API.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 169 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/169?hl=drfrightner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.