Topic Stats

• 8,532 posts
  • 526 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by wesman
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,182 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190323_220855 (resized).jpg
20190323_170925 (resized).jpg
B50F841E-E889-43F0-93C7-0C4CBECEF72F (resized).jpeg
Houdini rd (resized).jpg
B0A59720-3109-4366-A958-89734AE22441 (resized).jpeg
20190315_155922 (resized).jpg
20190315_030211 (resized).jpg
20190315_030253 (resized).jpg
20190220_220353 (resized).jpg
lites (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
E3F51772-C78A-4AAB-B019-A786AC49901B (resized).jpeg
A2123B62-2706-48FC-B5BE-D1A9DDCFDCB9 (resized).jpeg
35DFBA78-89B8-4643-ADFD-F03BE383E3E2 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

32 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 8532 posts in this topic. You are on page 164 of 171.
#8151 33 days ago

I am buying it, and it comes with the power supply I’ll have to install. I loved when I played it a while back

#8152 33 days ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Thats an easy one, email Barry at tech support, Im sure he will help out.

Will do thanks.

#8153 33 days ago

So what are the must have for this game ? In terms of Cliffys or adjustments that need to be done or mods that help the game
Wondering what I’m going to need or want to do right out of the box before I play

#8154 33 days ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

So what are the must have for this game ? In terms of Cliffys or adjustments that need to be done or mods that help the game
Wondering what I’m going to need or want to do right out of the box before I play

Game plays great out of the box.

As you get into it, maybe a few of the tweaks I have listed earlier.

In my opinion must haves:

EOS switch kit
Upgraded power supply.
Knocker kit.

#8155 33 days ago

Is the shaker motor not that big a deal on this? I need to check, my game has sideblades and think it has the knocker. Did not look for the upgraded powersupply yet.

#8156 33 days ago
Quoted from dung:

Is the shaker motor not that big a deal on this? I need to check, my game has sideblades and think it has the knocker. Did not look for the upgraded powersupply yet.

I REALLY like the use of the shaker in this game. Both that and the knocker are integrated in very creative ways to the game. For example, the shaker goes off when there’s this huge elephant walking into a box for one of the tricks. Stomp stomp stomp! Haha

The knocker also fires for the Bullet Catch which is really cool too.

IMO the shaker is a better add-on if you’re just going to do one.
There are some nice mods out there, but none are “must haves”.

#8157 33 days ago

Where do you find the knocker an end of stroke switches and also what are people using for a shaker is it from American pinball or pinball life or similar?

#8158 33 days ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Where do you find the knocker an end of stroke switches and also what are people using for a shaker is it from American pinball or pinball life or similar?

Get all from AP

#8159 33 days ago

Yep.all the prices are super competitive, no reason to get tricky

#8160 33 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Game plays great out of the box.
As you get into it, maybe a few of the tweaks I have listed earlier.
In my opinion must haves:
EOS switch kit

Guess I am clueless on this one - what is this fix/mod?

And yeah I like the shaker in the game as well. Its no overused at all and adds a nice touch for things like the elephant part. Would I have gotten it if mine hadn't come with one - I dunno but its $100 so not terrible.

And I would love to add hookonpinball's water tank mod. I think it looks great but damn it's pricey. Their straight jacket mod is also beautiful but its not interactive or lit up or anything so hard to justify that one too.

I really do want the API topper though as I like it a lot (yeah we are topper geeks in my house hence why we ordered an MBRLE instead of the SE - thx wifey)

#8161 33 days ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Knocker
Shaker
EOS flipper upgrade
Mod Father Houdini drink holder!

#8162 33 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

Knocker
Shaker
EOS flipper upgrade

Scoop Cliffy

#8163 33 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

Knocker

yes this thing is awesome looking. I don't know why but for some reason I really want this customized one just having a hard time ponying up that $48 vs $20 for plain black one, uggh.

And already ordered all the cliffy's just waiting for them to arrive along with my POTC, and MB Cliffy's

#8164 33 days ago

I forgot....
The shaker is another must have for Houdini.
I also like the planchette mod at mod couple.

#8165 33 days ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

yes this thing is awesome looking. I don't know why but for some reason I really want this customized one just having a hard time ponying up that $48 vs $20 for plain black one, uggh

Think of it this way: you ponied up $6-7k for this awesome machine, don’t mess it up with a pedestrian black cup holder. On your death bed you won’t think, “I wish I had ended world hunger, and not dropped that extra thirty on the Houdini drink holder.”
And it is a really well done add on.

And yes, the planchette is a good mod, as is the 3D frame around the mini-screen on the PF. I get lots of compliments on that. The brass shooter rod is nice too...

#8166 33 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

Think of it this way: you ponied up $6-7k for this awesome machine, don’t mess it up with a pedestrian black cup holder. On your death bed you won’t think, “I wish I had ended world hunger, and not dropped that extra thirty on the Houdini drink holder.”
And it is a really well done add on.
And yes, the planchette is a good mod, as is the 3D frame around the mini-screen on the PF. I get lots of compliments on that. The brass shooter rod is nice too...

LOL yeah already have the API theater mod and planchette (came with my game). And ahem I paid a fair bit less than that for my game so I have 5 good reasons to be pretty darn happy with my purchase at this point!!!

#8167 33 days ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

LOL yeah already have the API theater mod and planchette (came with my game). And ahem I paid a fair bit less than that for my game so I have 5 good reasons to be pretty darn happy with my purchase at this point!!!

See? Get the drink holder.

And - I like this game so much I don’t even mind be reminded that I could have done better with the purchase price!
I made up for it with a great buy on a Tommy last month....

#8168 33 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

See? Get the drink holder.
And - I like this game so much I don’t even mind be reminded that I could have done better with the purchase price!
I made up for it with a great buy on a Tommy last month....

Games will definitely rise and fall price wise, but buying and supporting them at any price really, prior owner or not, and especially at full price from a distributor, helps keep these great game makers making more and more games!

It's not just matter of our own personal enjoyment, but any quarter, up to paying the full price of a machine, keeps pinball alive....and for that we are all definitely grateful!

#8169 33 days ago
Quoted from wesman:Games will definitely rise and fall price wise, but buying and supporting them at any price really, prior owner or not, and especially at full price from a distributor, helps keep these great game makers making more and more games!
It's not just matter of our own personal enjoyment, but any quarter, up to paying the full price of a machine, keeps pinball alive....and for that we are all definitely grateful!

Excellent point.

#8170 33 days ago

Can someone tell me what this is please?

EOS switch kit

It has been mentioned as a mod a few times in this thread to do this but not sure what it is to be honest.

#8171 33 days ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

EOS switch kit

This kit enables you to add EOS ( end of stroke ) switch to Houdini's flippers. Houdini doesn't come with them. Many of the posts here say it helps the flippers perform better.

LTG : )

#8173 33 days ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

EOS switch kit

See picture. The leaf blade switch below the flipper return spring, that is your EOS.

DSC00732 (resized).JPG
#8174 33 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

See picture. The leaf blade switch below the flipper return spring, that is your EOS.
[quoted image]

Is it the part with two screws on it, to the right?

#8175 33 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

Yes. Part circled in right.

bec75d06029c6b21c231a4adc61a5606985a93d1 (resized).jpg
#8176 33 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

That is a leaf blade switch. Not the kit might have more in it, like wires or connectors.

#8177 33 days ago

If you go to American pinball web page it has the directions to install which shows what’s included. I didn’t see where to order though

#8178 33 days ago

seems like several dozen posts since the last time I checked in. Been pretty busy with Oktoberfest, and really happy with how it is coming together, but don't worry, Houdini is still getting some love and I'll have an update about it at our presentation at TPF.

Doubt that chip damage happened in shipping, possible something hit down on the that flat rail and chipped it, or possible it was over tightened and broke loose in game play. Marco playfield's are very hard, but can chip like that. Considering how long it took you to figure out where it was, shows it is not in a noticeable spot. You can talk to Barry about it. No reason not to play the machine, that is clearly an isolated issue.

EOS only come into play on flipper knockdowns, where it will refire the 'main power' on the flipper to raise it back up. I do not have them installed on either my machine in the office or at home and have never had an issue, but some have. If you find it happens, then get the kit, easy to install. Those who think it makes the flippers snappier or other such things are suffering from a placebo effect. The kit has the switches with wires attached and the molex pin already on the wire that needs it. https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-end-of-stroke-switch

If I missed any other items that I need to answer, re-post, and I'll check in again in the next day or so.

#8179 33 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

This kit enables you to add EOS ( end of stroke ) switch to Houdini's flippers. Houdini doesn't come with them. Many of the posts here say it helps the flippers perform better.

Here

https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-end-of-stroke-switch

#8180 33 days ago

Thanks for that info everyone. At $20 I'll grab it anyway certainly cheap enough and probably worth doing anyway

#8181 33 days ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Thanks for that info everyone. At $20 I'll grab it anyway certainly cheap enough and probably worth doing anyway

They really aren’t strictly necessary - but like you said, $20 ain’t too bad. Did you get that game set up yet?

#8182 33 days ago

Well its setup and I have played it but now its covered in plastic while we finish our small reno - removing fireplace to make room for pins. Going from room for 2 to room for 5.

Hopefully done this week or early next week so I can things back in place and playable. Drywall is up no mud on it so gotta get that done then painted and then lay new carpet. Sucks waiting.

Family and I put probably 40 games on it Sunday once I got home put it on its legs.

#8183 32 days ago

I have not had any flipper issues. I put in the new power supply, shaker, knocker and the scoop Cliffy. Game is great!

#8184 32 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

seems like several dozen posts since the last time I checked in. Been pretty busy with Oktoberfest, and really happy with how it is coming together, but don't worry, Houdini is still getting some love and I'll have an update about it at our presentation at TPF.
Doubt that chip damage happened in shipping, possible something hit down on the that flat rail and chipped it, or possible it was over tightened and broke loose in game play. Marco playfield's are very hard, but can chip like that. Considering how long it took you to figure out where it was, shows it is not in a noticeable spot. You can talk to Barry about it. No reason not to play the machine, that is clearly an isolated issue.
EOS only come into play on flipper knockdowns, where it will refire the 'main power' on the flipper to raise it back up. I do not have them installed on either my machine in the office or at home and have never had an issue, but some have. If you find it happens, then get the kit, easy to install. Those who think it makes the flippers snappier or other such things are suffering from a placebo effect. The kit has the switches with wires attached and the molex pin already on the wire that needs it. https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-end-of-stroke-switch
If I missed any other items that I need to answer, re-post, and I'll check in again in the next day or so.

I'll give him a call on Friday. I have that side against my wall, and didn't really see that area to that degree until I was installing the Cliffy scoop protector. I stopped playing it just weeks after getting it in November, to avoid any damage sans Cliffys and plastic protectors, and finally made the push forward, as I was really intimated getting in there and working on things. Definitely a learning experience.

#8185 32 days ago

What do people use for plastic protectors?i can’t seem to find good pics of what is offered

#8186 32 days ago

My game has some but no idea where came from since I purchased used but they are out there somewhere.

Figured it out just now - there was an empty bag in my game from little shop of games so they definitely came from here
https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/playfield-plastics/houdini-8-piece-easy-break-plastic-protectors/

Cointaker has some as well but it doesn't state how many in their set
https://cointaker.com/products/houdini-plastic-protectors

#8187 32 days ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

What do people use for plastic protectors?i can’t seem to find good pics of what is offered

Little shop of games is where I got mine.

#8188 32 days ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Here's an example: https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

Got a set, works great. There's some good pics on the link.

Edit: oops: Read too quick - thought you were talking about the plastic art blade protectors.

#8189 32 days ago

I just installed the Little Shop one's also.

#8190 32 days ago

I used little shop as well. They have 8 pieces in their set, every other place has 6 (that I could tell).

#8191 32 days ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

http://www.shop.freddys-pinball-paradise.de/index.php?f=3&q=convolux%206701
I think these are beautiful.

#8192 32 days ago

Thx that helps, also does anyone make a clear shooter lane protector like Mezel l mods sells that covers the shooter lane and kick out

#8193 32 days ago

Those are great, I wish they showed the game with all colors it’s thought to spend that much without seeing them on a game

#8194 32 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

I found a photo from before I lifted the playfield for the first time two days after I unboxed Houdini. Seems the chip existed then, and when I lifted it minutes later, that's when it fell out.
I wonder if this damage was from shipping or left manufacturing like that? The box was in pretty good shape, and it wasn't tilted.
[quoted image]

Just a Possible cause not accusation but Way back in post 6999 was when you had your catastrophic dropping of the playfield then later along in post #7117 you noticed that chip piece in the cabinet? It is very possible a good blow to any of the bolted down ball guides would for certain chip the clear coat like that. Again just a possibility. A dot of gel super glue, compress in position, then top it with a 1" square of mylar and I doubt you will have any further issues.

#8195 32 days ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Just a Possible cause not accusation but Way back in post 6999 was when you had your catastrophic dropping of the playfield then later along in post #7117 you noticed that chip piece in the cabinet? It is very possible a good blow to any of the bolted down ball guides would for certain chip the clear coat like that. Again just a possibility. A dot of gel super glue, compress in position, then top it with a 1" square of mylar and I doubt you will have any further issues.

I agree it could easily happened from a big drop like he had.
But he says he found it early on?
Who knows?...

But,
For stuff like that I usually crazy glue it and clamp a teflon block onto it. Buff off any residue and mylar it down. Lasts decades in the home environment and you cant even tell it was repaired.

I get 2" x 1/2" teflon blocks from my local tap plastic shop.

#8196 32 days ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Lemme preface this by saying, I like you Yelobird. I actually like everyone on this forum. I think everyone often has an opinion, and is very upfront and vocal about that, and I appreciate that more than dancing around in circles. Hell, less than a year ago I started lurking this board, a year ago I hadn't seen a pinball table with the glass taken off. Yet here I am now, not even a year later, fiddling around with my very own game, and chatting firsthand with many people, with many more years of experience than myself in this hobby/field.

And for that, I am in awe. It's truly an incredible hobby where someone as new as myself, to home ownership, has the ability to chat, ask questions, and give and command respect back and forth with not just fans of this hobby, decades in the making, but also the creators of these tables themselves. For that opportunity, I am truly grateful, and humbled.

That said, you did jump at me a bit in the Munsters hype thread, for owning just one game, and questioning how I felt the hierarchy of the value and construction of games manufactured by Stern and JJP could be weighed accurately, by one that owns solely one game. Then tonight, I saw in the POTC owner's thread, you question a user about which game they owned, having stated you knew the owner of that numbered game, yet it ended up being an LE versus a CE. And now this questioning of me noticing a specific chip after I'd raised the playfield, in less than glorious fashion.

To that fact, I went back to the photos I'd taken that night, and prior as well, as I'd taken so many.... first proud pin owner and all. And frankly, that entire experience, as I noted that night, was terrifying. I was quite literally in shock, and afraid of what had happened, after such a long journey of research, watching multiple videos of playfields being raised, games being unboxed, etc.

My wish isn't to be accusatory of anyone. It's to discover what happened. Understand why it did, and improve my skillset in relating with pinball tables, ideally for years to come. That experience, and several after it, could have scared me away from this hobby, but rather than that occur, my fascination with it, it's history, it's fans like yourself, and it's creators, has only deepened and become more fervent.

Saying that, I didn't share what I did months ago when my playfield plopped into my cabinet unexpectedly, or the other day when I discovered the chip location due to getting more hands on with a game I decided not to play for two months until said protectors were on, to be accusatory or blaming, but rather follow-up on a situation that I shared publicly to gain support, not descent. And I did quite a bit, from multiple users on here. And again, I am grateful for those kind people, and even with their knowledge, decades greater than my own, I never once felt foolish for my mistakes, or felt like my hard lessons learned, were to be blamed on myself for rash ignorance or total carelessness.

Anyway, apologies for the long message, but I do feel intent and attitude, is as valuable as aid and information. I'm not sure what you wanted to infer here, but I do want to tell you I wouldn't disclose any information ony end, if I didn't feel it was well intentioned, and most of all, informed and accurate.

Thank you, by the way, for the tips on repairing this unfortunate situation.

#8197 32 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

Lemme preface this by saying, I like you Yelobird. I actually like everyone on this forum. I think everyone often has an opinion, and is very upfront and vocal about that, and I appreciate that more than dancing around in circles. Hell, less than a year ago I started lurking this board, a year ago I hadn't seen a pinball table with the glass taken off. Yet here I am now, not even a year later, fiddling around with my very own game, and chatting firsthand with many people, with many more years of experience than myself in this hobby/field.
And for that, I am in awe. It's truly an incredible hobby where someone as new as myself, to home ownership, has the ability to chat, ask questions, and give and command respect back and forth with not just fans of this hobby, decades in the making, but also the creators of these tables themselves. For that opportunity, I am truly grateful, and humbled.
That said, you did jump at me a bit in the Munsters hype thread, for owning just one game, and questioning how I felt the hierarchy of the value and construction of games manufactured by Stern and JJP could be weighed accurately, by one that owns solely one game. Then tonight, I saw in the POTC owner's thread, you question a user about which game they owned, having stated you knew the owner of that numbered game, yet it ended up being an LE versus a CE. And now this questioning of me noticing a specific chip after I'd raised the playfield, in less than glorious fashion.
To that fact, I went back to the photos I'd taken that night, and prior as well, as I'd taken so many.... first proud pin owner and all. And frankly, that entire experience, as I noted that night, was terrifying. I was quite literally in shock, and afraid of what had happened, after such a long journey of research, watching multiple videos of playfields being raised, games being unboxed, etc.
My wish isn't to be accusatory of anyone. It's to discover what happened. Understand why it did, and improve my skillset in relating with pinball tables, ideally for years to come. That experience, and several after it, could have scared me away from this hobby, but rather than that occur, my fascination with it, it's history, it's fans like yourself, and it's creators, has only deepened and become more fervent.
Saying that, I didn't share what I did months ago when my playfield plopped into my cabinet unexpectedly, or the other day when I discovered the chip location due to getting more hands on with a game I decided not to play for two months until said protectors were on, to be accusatory or blaming, but rather follow-up on a situation that I shared publicly to gain support, not descent. And I did quite a bit, from multiple users on here. And again, I am grateful for those kind people, and even with their knowledge, decades greater than my own, I never once felt foolish for my mistakes, or felt like my hard lessons learned, were to be blamed on myself for rash ignorance or total carelessness.
Anyway, apologies for the long message, but I do feel intent and attitude, is as valuable as aid and information. I'm not sure what you wanted to infer here, but I do want to tell you I wouldn't disclose any information ony end, if I didn't feel it was well intentioned, and most of all, informed and accurate.
Thank you, by the way, for the tips on repairing this unfortunate situation.

Ok? Not sure what all that was I was simply saying it was Possible that the playfield drop may have caused a chip as you showed. I know this as I To have had this happen under different circumstances. Nothing more just providing an observation not a blame......

#8198 31 days ago

Hey Wes.
I don’t know Yelobird but I have read every thread in this post.
I never sensed he was implying anything against you. What I read, he was trying to maybe explain what happened to warrant that chip. This forum sometimes is kind of like texting...hard to infer intentions and meanings.
Wes, Very well thought out post though!! I was once in your shoes with my first pin JP. I too dropped it in the cabinet and panicked like crazy - and it was only 2k! Lol.
If there is anything I can ever help you out with, feel free to pm me as well. I am not great like some of these guys, but I have been in this hobby off and on for a while.

#8199 31 days ago

Considering adding some brite button illuminated flipper buttons to the game. Scott said I could get the SAM kit and clip the wires and attach them to any constant 12V source in the game.

Does anyone have a suggestion for where to connect these to?

TIA

#8200 31 days ago

Hello all fellow Houdini owners!
Been over two months since the last "offical" code release.
Was curious if there was any new BETA code to test or if there are any new releases coming out soon?

I actually know this pin will get better with time but it feels the newer code is doing more conditional checking of variables during game play, I see 3-4 seconds of pause time before game will respond at times. I feel sometimes this delay causes the game to maybe loose ball count track too.

I played a Houdini at FreePlay Florida last year and it reminded me on how "snappier" and responsive the code was back in the early releases.

Anyone else notice this behavior on the newer code or is it possible my Houdini having other issues?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 50.00
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
Machine - For Sale
Madison, WI
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Mods for your pinballs
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rochester, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
$ 39.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 8532 posts in this topic. You are on page 164 of 171.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside