20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 163 of 297.
#8101 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Homedepot sells a rubber coated 'hanger' (not the clothes kind). It's like a bendable wire, but soft on the outside - great for hanging/holding things temporarily w/o scratching them.
Look up vid1900 here about the playfield, he seems to be one of the PF restoration gurus.

Oh that sounds like an awesome product! I'll definitely check that out!

Edit. Just found this. Would this work?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/HAWK-SPORTSMANS-RUBBER-WIRE/1837471.uts?productVariantId=3887244&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03917780&rid=20&ds_rl=1246537&ds_rl=1246540&ds_rl=1247888&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=CjwKCAiAqaTjBRAdEiwAOdx9xpC4W2-5YYOrXFnv97EegW2G8L91eKJcFl0v14nQBoOrJZDC1APW1hoCifoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Curiously, that Seance VUK is half firing. I really don't recall if it was before loosening it, and reattaching it. I do know the VUK to the right of the chest often takes two fires to hit it up into the wire form. Are these both most likely due to the issues where the new power supply came into play?

I'll definitely go consult that user regarding the playfield chip! What can create a situation like that?

Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions! As you'd said about your own experiences installing this, I had minimal idea what to remove, until I did, and then removed more...and more, until it was able to slide into place.

#8102 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Unfortunately it didn't...Cliffy told me I got his first designed set. So yeah, I had to reloosen five screws this time, and that was my last resort after going in, and removing the metal rails....the one against the black side rail, as well as the actual guide rail.
I ending up having the VUK dangle, did you secure yours? I wanted to try and remove the power coupling white clasp, but that wasn't popping out to well. Is there an easy way to do that?
Man....the nuts supporting the VUK are a hassle to remove, but far worse to get back in with standard size non magnetic nut drivers. I spent an hour dancing with two that would fall, then my hunt for them, drop them again, etc.
I found the source of my chipped playfield, I'd hoped it was just a loose flake from manufacturing, as I found it just after I raised the game for the first time months back, and with less than 50 plays. Is there anyway to repair this or should I put mylar over it to prevent more damage?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You will get more proficient over time, mostly you are only dealing with screws and nuts. just be observant where parts came from and go back. I would let heavy things dangle by their wires, support it somehow by string, scrap wire or something. The switch on that VUK has fragile connections. Eventually you may need to adjust switches, replace mosfets and coils, hopefully not for a while.

I believe you were advised to get magnetic nut drivers. I have multiple sets of non mag drivers ( use them for my work) and still bought magnetic ones just for pin work. I also have a magnitizer for my Philips drivers, That is a savior at times. I hate loosing a screw in the under playfield mechanics /switches and such. I have resorted to taping a screw to a driver is certain instances but then you have to contend with the tape if it doesn't release right once the screw is started.

Where did that chip come from? what might of caused it? did it happen with your playfield accedent? I doubt it was a ball. I would't be that concerned about those micro cracks under fasteners, you can't see them. be careful about over tightening

#8103 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Edit. Just found this. Would this work?

I would'n't buy something for that purpose, use string, scrap wire or a couple bread bag twistys

Quoted from wesman:

Curiously, that Seance VUK is half firing. I really don't recall if it was before loosening it, and reattaching it. I do know the VUK to the right of the chest often takes two fires to hit it up into the wire form. Are these both most likely due to the issues where the new power supply came into play?

I replaced the coil on my scoop and noticed that it wasn't firing right. looking down the hole I noticed that the plunger was catching on the switch arm and had to be adjusted.

Quoted from wesman:

I'll definitely go consult that user regarding the playfield chip! What can create a situation like that?
Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions! As you'd said about your own experiences installing this, I had minimal idea what to remove, until I did, and then removed more...and more, until it was able to slide into place.

that's right, simply one piece at a time. be prepared for Vids thread, several thousand posts. I hope you find what you're looking for.

#8104 5 years ago

Joined the club today. Still have to get it unloaded

f079c397244348964c215b48734e9e579886bdf8 (resized).jpegf079c397244348964c215b48734e9e579886bdf8 (resized).jpeg
#8105 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

You will get more proficient over time, mostly you are only dealing with screws and nuts. just be observant where parts came from and go back. I would let heavy things dangle by their wires, support it somehow by string, scrap wire or something. The switch on that VUK has fragile connections. Eventually you may need to adjust switches, replace mosfets and coils, hopefully not for a while.
I believe you were advised to get magnetic nut drivers. I have multiple sets of non mag drivers ( use them for my work) and still bought magnetic ones just for pin work. I also have a magnitizer for my Philips drivers, That is a savior at times. I hate loosing a screw in the under playfield mechanics /switches and such. I have resorted to taping a screw to a driver is certain instances but then you have to contend with the tape if it doesn't release right once the screw is started.
Where did that chip come from? what might of caused it? did it happen with your playfield accedent? I doubt it was a ball. I would't be that concerned about those micro cracks under fasteners, you can't see them. be careful about over tightening

All very sound advice!

I definitely wasn't comfortable letting the VUK dangle, and I think I only let that happen once, during the constant raise, lower, raise lowering of the playfield. I am paranoid if that maybe created an issue with the VUK firing half of the time now, but as I mentioned, I'm not sure if that was already occuring, and I just didn't notice....

The chip, I really have no clue. I know the piece slid out when I raised the playfield that first night, and I certainly didn't have any equipment fall on or scratch the table. I've forgotten to eject the balls a few times, but other than that, nothing else entirely boneheaded. Raising and lowering the playfield is definitely far, far more comfortable, as I now understand how the cabinet rails work. I really had zero prior experience with a pinball table mechanically prior to this.

That said, I returned the Klein magnetic nut drivers, due to reading some reviews where they said the bits turned into power and crumbled, and as well as the price, and I really figured I'd use them just once or twice for a few minutes. Weeks later, I now find myself removing multiple table parts, placing them on a sheet of paper with notes for screw and nut placement, all just to get one tiny protector in. I truly never imagined delving this deep. It's been an experience, that is for sure!

#8106 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Edit. Just found this. Would this work?...

Looks like what I got (but mine are a lot shorter). You can probably buy at any hardware store or Wallymart for a few bucks. Various sizes I just toss a couple of them in my 'tool bucket' so I always have them. Comes in handy for holding a lot of things. I originally used them to hang the flood lights off the gutter while I was installing the wires...and they've come in handy under the PF. The inside 'wire' holds the shape you bend, soft silicone (maybe) on the outside.

Your VUK - have you adjusted the coil strength in the menu?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#8107 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

All very sound advice!
I definitely wasn't comfortable letting the VUK dangle, and I think I only let that happen once, during the constant raise, lower, raise lowering of the playfield. I am paranoid if that maybe created an issue with the VUK firing half of the time now, but as I mentioned, I'm not sure if that was already occuring, and I just didn't notice....
The chip, I really have no clue. I know the piece slid out when I raised the playfield that first night, and I certainly didn't have any equipment fall on or scratch the table. I've forgotten to eject the balls a few times, but other than that, nothing else entirely boneheaded. Raising and lowering the playfield is definitely far, far more comfortable, as I now understand how the cabinet rails work. I really had zero prior experience with a pinball table mechanically prior to this.
That said, I returned the Klein magnetic nut drivers, due to reading some reviews where they said the bits turned into power and crumbled, and as well as the price, and I really figured I'd use them just once or twice for a few minutes. Weeks later, I now find myself removing multiple table parts, placing them on a sheet of paper with notes for screw and nut placement, all just to get one tiny protector in. I truly never imagined delving this deep. It's been an experience, that is for sure!

Sticking nut drivers on a big magnet for a few days, like a car speaker will magnetize them efficiently.

On my games that have a cabinet speaker, I stuck my non magnetized tools to it for a week and now they are perfect.

My magneitc Klein nut drivers have never given me any problems, other than a magnet came out one day. I glued it in with red locktite and it's been good for years.

#8108 5 years ago

Managed to get the game unloaded and in the house.

The game is triggering end of ball every time a ball drains even if ball save has engaged and saved the ball.

Looked under the PF and I don't see anything out of whack, disconnected etc.

Software is 18-12-12

Ideas?

#8109 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

The game is triggering end of ball every time a ball drains even if ball save has engaged and saved the ball.
Software is 18-12-12
Ideas?

Check the switches in the left lock, near the trunk. Check with your finger but then check with 3 balls one at a time. Make sure they are not engaged then trip each one with a ball in succession. They are super sensitive

then check all your trough optos. It’s not the software, I guarantee - had this same
Issue and It’s a switch.

#8110 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Software is 18-12-12
Ideas?

Don't forget you can go into the menu and check for switches registering.

#8111 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Check the switches in the left lock, near the trunk. Check with your finger but then check with 3 balls one at a time. Make sure they are not engaged then trip each one with a ball in succession. They are super sensitive
then check all your trough optos. It’s not the software, I guarantee - had this same
Issue and It’s a switch.

Umm my apologies all I had an Rdoyle moment

7 balls in the game and its uhh supposed to be 6

#8112 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Isn't having an extra ball a Houdini thing?

It seems fitting...

#8113 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Looks like what I got (but mine are a lot shorter). You can probably buy at any hardware store or Wallymart for a few bucks. Various sizes I just toss a couple of them in my 'tool bucket' so I always have them. Comes in handy for holding a lot of things. I originally used them to hang the flood lights off the gutter while I was installing the wires...and they've come in handy under the PF. The inside 'wire' holds the shape you bend, soft silicone (maybe) on the outside.
Your VUK - have you adjusted the coil strength in the menu? [quoted image]

Do you have any idea what that wire might he called?

Oh no....I haven't! Did you adjust your VUK strength? I hadn't even thought of that!

Quoted from pinballinreno:

Sticking nut drivers on a big magnet for a few days, like a car speaker will magnetize them efficiently.
On my games that have a cabinet speaker, I stuck my non magnetized tools to it for a week and now they are perfect.
My magneitc Klein nut drivers have never given me any problems, other than a magnet came out one day. I glued it in with red locktite and it's been good for years.

I bought one of these to magnetize them...left them on for at least a week, and they didn't get magnetized. Would having multiple on there together effect polarity?

https://m.harborfreight.com/6-in-magnetic-parts-holder-61428.html

I might need to get those Klein's just for the sake of future efforts!

#8114 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Oh no....I haven't! Did you adjust your VUK strength? I hadn't even thought of that!

I bought one of these to magnetize them...left them on for at least a week, and they didn't get magnetized. Would having multiple on there together effect polarity?

That little tray won't do much. That is for your screws and nuts when you remove them. I have one of these for magging my tools:

https://www.wihatools.com/magnetizer-and-demagnetizer?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn9mR6ZXE4AIViANpCh16ighAEAQYBCABEgIJMPD_BwE

lots of other brands out there

#8115 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Needs to be a very big magnet like on a big speaker.

Or get the tool magnetizer from harbor freight

Magnetic hollow nut drivers are life changing lol

If you haven't already, get one of these:

V8 Tools 3826 Mighty Worm 26" Flexible Magnetic Pickup Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YKNOLQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tjHACbAXHQBFH

Super strong magnet, fits in very small places. Bendable to go in odd crevices.

I use it to fish for lost parts, it always finds them even in blind out of reach places

#8116 5 years ago

So I know I am in the "honeymoon phase" but all the people bitching about this game ... gimme a break.

I know its hard, the shots are tight, I get a lot of bounce outs, I get a lot of rattles trying to make the tight shots but damn I still like the game. I do keep coming back for more as I keep saying I know I can make that shot, that combo etc. And this is all coming from someone who is not a good player. Will this last permanently ... nope. Will it last for a while til something else comes out we want yep. It's a beautiful game (I like the look) the BG is awesome wish MFRs still did this but I get it - its expensive.

Anyway just wanted to add something positive about the game because of all the bashing its getting in the other Houdini thread.

What would I give this game up for, not sure - WOZ probably if I didn't have to add too much $$. Maybe a Dialed In, GOG Premium perhaps. Who knows but for now this is a good solid game that is fun (FOR ME) and I firmly believe it can help me become a better player. If I can make shots on this game well ....

#8117 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

So I know I am in the "honeymoon phase" but all the people bitching about this game ... gimme a break.
I know its hard, the shots are tight, I get a lot of bounce outs, I get a lot of rattles trying to make the tight shots but damn I still like the game. I do keep coming back for more as I keep saying I know I can make that shot, that combo etc. And this is all coming from someone who is not a good player. Will this last permanently ... nope. Will it last for a while til something else comes out we want yep. It's a beautiful game (I like the look) the BG is awesome wish MFRs still did this but I get it - its expensive.
Anyway just wanted to add something positive about the game because of all the bashing its getting in the other Houdini thread.
What would I give this game up for, not sure - WOZ probably if I didn't have to add too much $$. Maybe a Dialed In, GOG Premium perhaps. Who knows but for now this is a good solid game that is fun (FOR ME) and I firmly believe it can help me become a better player. If I can make shots on this game well ....

My game plays like a dream.
Adjust pitch to 6.2 or 6.0

Lower flippers until only a perfect shot makes the ramp from a cradled position.

Set the slings -1 from default.

Check my tweaks in this thread.
Some are really good.

Game is amazing!

#8118 5 years ago

Isn't having an extra ball a Houdini thing?
It seems fitting...

Does count if it's from a monkey?

#8119 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Oh no....I haven't! Did you adjust your VUK strength? I hadn't even thought of that!...

I think it's a Gear Tie (I had to google it.) Link: https://www.homedepot.com/s/gear%2520tie?NCNI-5 There's probably cheaper knockoff's by now, but these are built really well and were only a few bucks.

I adjusted the VUK settings just so it barely makes it out. Didn't want want it blasting out.

#8120 5 years ago

My game plays like a dream.
Adjust pitch to 6.2 or 6.0
Lower flippers until only a perfect shot makes the ramp from a cradled position.
Set the slings -1 from default.
Check my tweaks in this thread.
Some are really good.
Game is amazing!

Ironically my thoughts are all based on the game unloaded legs on and turned on no set up done yet as we are still doing reno in the game room this week

It should get better.

#8121 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

That little tray won't do much. That is for your screws and nuts when you remove them. I have one of these for magging my tools:
https://www.wihatools.com/magnetizer-and-demagnetizer?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn9mR6ZXE4AIViANpCh16ighAEAQYBCABEgIJMPD_BwE
lots of other brands out there

Saw one of those in a video! I guess the underside of that tray wasn't strong enough... Thank you, just ordered one!

Needs to be a very big magnet like on a big speaker.
Or get the tool magnetizer from harbor freight
Magnetic hollow nut drivers are life changing lol
If you haven't already, get one of these:
V8 Tools 3826 Mighty Worm 26" Flexible Magnetic Pickup Tool amazon.com link »
Super strong magnet, fits in very small places. Bendable to go in odd crevices.
I use it to fish for lost parts, it always finds them even in blind out of reach places

I actually got this the other day. Definitely helped snag and search for parts last night! That worm looks fantastic!

https://m.harborfreight.com/18-inch-telescoping-magnet-37187.html

Tom, did you adjust your VUK settings at all?

Quoted from mbwalker:

I think it's a Gear Tie (I had to google it.) Link: https://www.homedepot.com/s/gear%2520tie?NCNI-5 There's probably cheaper knockoff's by now, but these are built really well and were only a few bucks.
I adjusted the VUK settings just so it barely makes it out. Didn't want want it blasting out.

Sweet. Grabbed some of those too! Thank you! The one with the carabineer looks nifty also.

So you felt your VUK was a bit weak?

#8122 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Ironically my thoughts are all based on the game unloaded legs on and turned on no set up done yet as we are still doing reno in the game room this week
It should get better.

A little time and effort spent dialing this game in, is well worth it when you get a chance.

#8123 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Saw one of those in a video! I guess the underside of that tray wasn't strong enough... Thank you, just ordered one!

I actually got this the other day. Definitely helped snag and search for parts last night! That worm looks fantastic!
https://m.harborfreight.com/18-inch-telescoping-magnet-37187.html
Tom, did you adjust your VUK settings at all?

Sweet. Grabbed some of those too! Thank you! The one with the carabineer looks nifty also.

Vuk has to be adjusted so that the ball just makes it out most of the time.

If it takes 2 or more tries, go up 1 unit at a time until it makes it out consistantly.

If it fails once in awhile during multiball with shaker running that's ok.

The power supply upgrade helps this a bit.

#8124 5 years ago

Vuk has to be adjusted so that the ball just makes it out most of the time.
If it takes 2 or more tries, go up 1 unit at a time until it makes it out consistantly.
If it fails once in awhile during multiball with shaker running that's ok.
The power supply upgrade helps this a bit.

It seems to go up about half of the time on the wireform one in the back, and the seance one. It often kicks, fails, then kicks once more effectively.

I figure my next project, after drilling in the side rail protector, will be that.

#8125 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

It seems to go up about half of the time on the wireform one in the back, and the seance one. It often kicks, fails, then kicks once more effectively.
I figure my next project, after drilling in the side rail protector, will be that.

I put in the scoop cliffy and since then the exit is even more inconsistent. Mine hits the top of the right sling more often than not at 6 and 7 power. 8 sometimes lands on the flipper, sometimes shoots down the middle. I yanked around the scoop hood and the steel rail, but nothing has lasting impact. So I just learned to play it where it lands.

#8126 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Give yourself some 5 ball games for a while to get used to the shots and reduce frustration. The game makes you better, period.

#8127 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

LOL

#8128 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I put in the scoop cliffy and since then the exit is even more inconsistent. Mine hits the top of the right sling more often than not at 6 and 7 power. 8 sometimes lands on the flipper, sometimes shoots down the middle. I yanked around the scoop hood and the steel rail, but nothing has lasting impact. So I just learned to play it where it lands.

I actually pushed my scoop hood -down- and lowered the eject setting, and it shoots out consistently every time now. AP has an adjustment listed on the website too, if you’ve not seen that. The scoop can also be pivoted to the left a bit as well

#8129 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Most of us here really enjoy the machine and believe the bashing is undeserved. I have mine pretty well set up now.

#8130 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Oops, to clarify...I'm talking about the one on the scoop, not the one in the back. I could go up a notch on the settings, but it pops out almost always, at least to the point I don't really notice if it takes two tries. I adjusted once the new PS was installed just for the sake of doing it.

#8131 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Oops, to clarify...I'm talking about the one on the scoop, not the one in the back. I could go up a notch on the settings, but it pops out almost always, at least to the point I don't really notice if it takes two tries. I adjusted once the new PS was installed just for the sake of doing it.

No worries. I have issues with both taking two efforts. I swear the right rail side scoop didn't have issues prior, but then again, I was just over 60 games played. There's no way anything I could have done during scoop installation that would have affected it? I assume it's either getting power or not.

#8132 5 years ago

Looks like I get to call AP up. I just updated from 18.4 something to the latest. Game said to restart after the update was complete so I did. On startup I get the AP splash screen, and then the display will keep flashing blue or a black command prompt that says automatic login on one line and then last login on the next, and it never does anything else.

#8133 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Looks like I get to call AP up. I just updated from 18.4 something to the latest. Game said to restart after the update was complete so I did. On startup I get the AP splash screen, and then the display will keep flashing blue or a black command prompt that says automatic login on one line and then last login on the next, and it never does anything else.

Try the update again - remove the USB before you restart next time

#8134 5 years ago

I found a photo from before I lifted the playfield for the first time two days after I unboxed Houdini. Seems the chip existed then, and when I lifted it minutes later, that's when it fell out.

I wonder if this damage was from shipping or left manufacturing like that? The box was in pretty good shape, and it wasn't tilted.

20190218_023822 (resized).jpg20190218_023822 (resized).jpg
#8135 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I found a photo from before I lifted the playfield for the first time two days after I unboxed Houdini. Seems the chip existed then, and when I lifted it minutes later, that's when it fell out.
I wonder if this damage was from shipping or left manufacturing like that? The box was in pretty good shape, and it wasn't tilted.
[quoted image]

THAT. SUCKS. One the other hand, at least it didnt' come from playing the game. I just had a piece chip out of my MB, and I just had to glue it back in.

#8136 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

[quoted image]

Looks like maybe shipping or from assembly.

See what API says. It's not from ball damage.

It my be possible to carefully glue the chip back into place with high quality CA glue and wax paper or teflon sheet to press it down.

#8137 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

THAT. SUCKS. One the other hand, at least it didnt' come from playing the game. I just had a piece chip out of my MB, and I just had to glue it back in.

I guess I'm "happy" anything I did in getting familiar with this machine, didn't create it. But damage is damage..

What happened in your situation? I thought the clearcoat was supposed to make these rock hard and secure?

Looks like maybe shipping or from assembly.
See what API says. It's not from ball damage.
It my be possible to carefully glue the chip back into place with high quality CA glue and wax paper or teflon sheet to press it down.

I'm going to contact Barry on friday directly, seems he's the guy who handles most issues like this. Hopefully he points me in a direction that works the best here?

I finally got this up and running, with most of my protectors in too! I hadn't played it for weeks, on that account. And doing the scoop protector finally had me notice it. I had the flake for so long, didn't see anything, and just hoped it was some random paint from the factory....

Will I risk further damage by playing it?

#8138 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

I have had mine since it was released, I actually switched from a JJP-POTC and moved to Houdini. Although I don't play it as much as some of other machines, I do still play it quite a bit. And I STILL don't have it dialed all the way in.

Playing this machine, has made me a better player. I purchased the PS upgrade a few weeks ago and still need to put that in. Have never had scoop or trunk issues, do feel the flippers are weak at times. But as I said still need to dial in the settings on this game that others have posted!

Still VERY satisfied with this machine, and definitely out of the "honeymoon" phase. LOL

#8139 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I guess I'm "happy" anything I did in getting familiar with this machine, didn't create it. But damage is damage..
What happened in your situation? I thought the clearcoat was supposed to make these rock hard and secure?

I'm going to contact Barry on friday directly, seems he's the guy who handles most issues like this. Hopefully he points me in a direction that works the best here?
I finally got this up and running, with most of my protectors in too! I hadn't played it for weeks, on that account. And doing the scoop protector finally had me notice it. I had the flake for so long, didn't see anything, and just hoped it was some random paint from the factory....
Will I risk further damage by playing it?

Well first, the MB is an original, new playfield though, and I had it cleared by Ron Kruzman about 2 years ago. The damage is 100% mine - I had one of those stupid wire ball guides pop out, and I was jamming it back in and... ugh. I guess I should have drilled it again? So not comparable to what you have - I just thought it was an interesting coincidence.

Hoping to get protectors on Houdini as soon as I get them from Cliff...

#8140 5 years ago
Quoted from fxdwg:

I have had mine since it was released, I actually switched from a JJP-POTC and moved to Houdini. Although I don't play it as much as some of other machines, I do still play it quite a bit. And I STILL don't have it dialed all the way in.
Playing this machine, has made me a better player. I purchased the PS upgrade a few weeks ago and still need to put that in. Have never had scoop or trunk issues, do feel the flippers are weak at times. But as I said still need to dial in the settings on this game that others have posted!
Still VERY satisfied with this machine, and definitely out of the "honeymoon" phase. LOL

PUT IT IN!! Only takes maybe 20 minutes, and it really does make the game feel more "complete"

#8141 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Well first, the MB is an original, new playfield though, and I had it cleared by Ron Kruzman about 2 years ago. The damage is 100% mine - I had one of those stupid wire ball guides pop out, and I was jamming it back in and... ugh. I guess I should have drilled it again? So not comparable to what you have - I just thought it was an interesting coincidence.
Hoping to get protectors on Houdini as soon as I get them from Cliff...

Ugh. I'm really sorry to hear that...

When you get them, let me know, I can definitely tell you what to do and not do, haha!

#8142 5 years ago

I have a question regarding buying a new Houdini it is new in box but not from a distributor it is from someone who took it as a trade.
I’m just wondering how everybody’s experience with American pinball has been in regards to issues warranty etc. etc.
I played the game a few times and I really enjoyed it. I know it is a tight shot game and hope in a home environment I will enjoy it more but what concerns me a little is issues with playfield etc. is that blown way out of portion or realistic and how does the company handle this I’m not sure this game will even have a warranty seeing it is not coming from a distributor even though it is brand new in the box. I was told it was just picked up from the factory so I’m assuming it will.
Thx for any input

#8143 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

I have a question regarding buying a new Houdini it is new in box but not from a distributor it is from someone who took it as a trade.
I’m just wondering how everybody’s experience with American pinball has been in regards to issues warranty etc. etc.
I played the game a few times and I really enjoyed it. I know it is a tight shot game and hope in a home environment I will enjoy it more but what concerns me a little is issues with playfield etc. is that blown way out of portion or realistic and how does the company handle this I’m not sure this game will even have a warranty seeing it is not coming from a distributor even though it is brand new in the box. I was told it was just picked up from the factory so I’m assuming it will.
Thx for any input

I have not seen anyone need to replace their entire playfield - mine has no issues, and almost everyone else posting here has confirmed the same. As you see above, @wesman had some issues but it seems like those were more from shipping somehow, not playing the game.

AP is more present in these forums than any other manufacturer, by several orders of magnitude. Stern used to post here - that lasted about a day. Lloyd ( @ltg ) does tech support for JJP and is incredibly helpful but does not deal directly with warranty type stuff, and is remote from the main JJP office.

As far as AP though - @barryj is the MAIN support guy for AP - you can call him, email him, or PM him here. @rosh is the programmer of the game. Both of them post here regularly. It's out of control; I know I would not be able to put up with the nonsense, but they are here every day - and I believe Rosh is hard at work on Oktoberfest too!

#8144 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Thx for any input

Game is simply awesome. Knock on wood, I have had zero issues anywhere with this game. As posted above, the AP guys are more active here than any other manufacturer - to me, that says a lot about the company.
When I did call Barry about getting the updated power supply/credit, he was very professional, prompt and courteous. I would have no problem recommending them, trusting them, or buying a pin from them in the future.

#8145 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Thx for any input

Ditto to what they said. No real issues with the game. Latest software upgrade is great (only a couple of mostly advanced modes have some display issues that need tweaking) and zero issues for me otherwise. Service is great, people at AP are very nice and accommodating, and above all, the pin is top notch - pretty deep rule set and great modes and use of lights.

#8146 5 years ago

Wanted to say that after talking with AP got the game running again. The usb drive I was using died while it was updating it seems. The second i pulled out of the drawer was dead as well so had to go buy more.

I have the game at 6.2 degrees and I am gonna go to 6.5. Even with flippers at 23 each, they are just too powerful. Slings are fine, lower catapult I have dialed in. Upper catapult still don't have the power right on it. The flippers at 24 the ball would fly off the ramp.

Game itself is fun. Couple shots are tight, but I hit them when I want to most times. This game was routed and I have had to fix a few things, reinstall the post between the flippers. Think I will move the left outlane post back as it is in the top hole. Pop bumpers need to be made more sensitive still.

Game itself is fun, my only real gripe is that there are a number of shots that when lit do not seem to give feedback. The main ramp will often be lit, you hit it and the game registers it, but I have no idea why it was lit or what I got for shooting it. The 2x shot also seems to do this at times.

#8147 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Wanted to say that after talking with AP got the game running again. The usb drive I was using died while it was updating it seems. The second i pulled out of the drawer was dead as well so had to go buy more.
I have the game at 6.2 degrees and I am gonna go to 6.5. Even with flippers at 23 each, they are just too powerful. Slings are fine, lower catapult I have dialed in. Upper catapult still don't have the power right on it. The flippers at 24 the ball would fly off the ramp.
Game itself is fun. Couple shots are tight, but I hit them when I want to most times. This game was routed and I have had to fix a few things, reinstall the post between the flippers. Think I will move the left outlane post back as it is in the top hole. Pop bumpers need to be made more sensitive still.
Game itself is fun, my only real gripe is that there are a number of shots that when lit do not seem to give feedback. The main ramp will often be lit, you hit it and the game registers it, but I have no idea why it was lit or what I got for shooting it. The 2x shot also seems to do this at times.

The main ramp is almost always lit - it’s a factor in your multiplier at the end of a ball. You’ll be told directly on screen or with a callout if it’s part of a mode shot.

#8148 5 years ago

Anyone know where I can get a leg bracket for the game (inside the cab). Mine is stripped out and needs to be replaced.

Is this a generic part or specific to Houdini?

#8149 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Anyone know where I can get a leg bracket for the game (inside the cab). Mine is stripped out and needs to be replaced.
Is this a generic part or specific to Houdini?

Thats an easy one, email Barry at tech support, Im sure he will help out.

#8150 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

Thx for any input

This is a home environment game for sure. Code is deep,stackable and challanging shots, note...I did not say hard shots.
I am 49 weeks into game #90....I love this game and have owned almost 100 pins, play in torny's, go to shows, and a tech support for Museum of pinball in Banning.
My point other than access to tons of games...
AP has created a masterpiece that takes way to much heat. One of the best companys Ive ever seen come out.
Even new cars have issues, part of life, things break, but very easy game to work on.
I reccomend the updated power supply and knocker.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 163 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/163 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.