20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 162 of 297.
#8051 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Without dropping the back box, I figure the height to be 30" without back box it is 25"

Thank you

#8052 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

1/4" might fit!
There is not a lot of room there.
I was thinking 1/8" but due to the nature of this, it may not be possible to go that thin.
It's not like the game needs a ton more kick as far as power, just slightly more to make effective ramp shots.
My game plays wonderfully but I want to bring the ramp into play more often and easier.
But this comes at the expense of stage rejects.
I'll PM you, thank you so much for your kind offer! A 2" square is plenty to make a couple pieces to test out.
I think 40-45 durometer shore A would work.

I am shipping you both 1/8" and 1/4" today to test out. Both already have adhesive backing just trim to the size you need with a razor or scissors. Good luck.

#8053 5 years ago

I just bought 100 from this guy.
Great price right now
ebay.com link » 25 1 1 16 Inch Mirror Finish Carbon Steel Replacement Pinball Machine Pinballs

I asked the seller about these- look at the listing. The title says carbon, but the category in the description says chrome. Seller said these were chrome and they too, were out of stock on the carbon ones like many other peeps (pinball life comes to mind as I get most stuff from them)….

#8054 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

I asked the seller about these- look at the listing. The title says carbon, but the category in the description says chrome. Seller said these were chrome and they too, were out of stock on the carbon ones like many other peeps (pinball life comes to mind as I get most stuff from them)….

what a bait and switch scheme!

#8055 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Sorry to be so inquisitive....is your mod similar to hooked? Your website has very small pictures that are difficult to see

The biggest difference between the two appears to be that Mod Couple's Houdini figure is 2-D and Hooked on Pinball's is 3-D and has feet sticking out the top of the tank.

#8056 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

The main issue was/is the 48 volt power supply is unregulated which isn't a problem until one is in multiball and multiple coils are firing

Is this an issue that was related to all Houdini games or just early production? Was there a fix done for it or was it left up to owners to fix the issue?

#8057 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Get these:

ebay.com link: 25 1 1 16 Inch Mirror Finish Carbon Steel Replacement Pinball Machine Pinballs

The 100 I just bought are really nice.
Or these:

ebay.com link: 25 OEM 1 1 16 Mirror Finish Carbon Steel Pinball Machine Balls FRESH STOCK New

ebay.com link: 100 1 1 16 Inch Mirror Finish Carbon Steel Replacement Pinball Machine Balls

#8058 5 years ago

Get these:
ebay.com link » 25 1 1 16 Inch Mirror Finish Carbon Steel Replacement Pinball Machine Pinballs

And these are good for machines with magnets?

#8059 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Is this an issue that was related to all Houdini games or just early production? Was there a fix done for it or was it left up to owners to fix the issue?

a small percentage of owners had power issues, due to fluctuations in the power grid in their area or in their home. The upgrade power supply fixes this. Some owners who did not have the issue, still chose to do the upgrade. The upgrade is around $150, but when you get it, there is a coupon that gives you $150 towards most other items in our store. So some bought the power supply and then subsequently used the credit to get the shaker motor or knocker or plastics or some other item.

You can tell if it has the upgraded power supply by looking in the cabinet, were you will see a switching power supply near the main Toroid power supply.

#8060 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

a small percentage of owners had power issues, due to fluctuations in the power grid in their area or in their home. The upgrade power supply fixes this. Some owners who did not have the issue, still chose to do the upgrade. The upgrade is around $150, but when you get it, there is a coupon that gives you $150 towards most other items in our store. So some bought the power supply and then subsequently used the credit to get the shaker motor or knocker or plastics or some other item.
You can tell if it has the upgraded power supply by looking in the cabinet, were you will see a switch power supply near the main Toroid power supply.

Thanks Rosh, much appreciated

#8061 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

And these are good for machines with magnets?

They are perfect!
And they weigh consistantly 80gm.

I used to store them in a coffee can of used motor oil.

Now I spray a little wd40 and vacuum bag them

20190213_092114 (resized).jpg20190213_092114 (resized).jpg
#8062 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

You can tell if it has the upgraded power supply by looking in the cabinet, were you will see a switching power supply near the main Toroid power supply.

I also want to mention that the upgraded power supply is more consistant than wall power and has a lot more power available.

The game is more active or sprightly.

Since installing it, it's my only game not on a variac, and my wall power is truly terrible.

117v this morning and Houdini is playing perfectly.

#8063 5 years ago

Get these:

Or these:

ebay.com link » 25 Oem 1 1 16 Mirror Finish Carbon Steel Pinball Machine Balls Fresh Stock New

Do you think these are the exact same product, just from different vendors?

#8064 5 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Do you think these are the exact same product, just from different vendors?

Probably, there are millions of ball bearings used up daily in this country alone.
It's a huge market.

That's why I was shocked at the $2 or more prices I was seeing.

Carbon steel is one of the cheapest materials on earth.

But rolling out bearings is fairly slow and costs electricity more than anything else.

The bearings probably cost 15 cents each wholesale for a few thousand.

#8065 5 years ago

Get these:
Or these:
ebay.com link » 25 Oem 1 1 16 Mirror Finish Carbon Steel Pinball Machine Balls Fresh Stock New
ebay.com link » 100 1 1 16 Inch Mirror Finish Carbon Steel Replacement Pinball Machine Balls

That's what I ordered, should arrive tomorrow.

If you look down on the listing under categories is says "chrome bearing balls"

All these ebay listings are from BC Precision.

I contacted them to ask which was it carbon or chrome and they said:

" They should be carbon steel if you ordered on this ad. If you
receive the balls and they have oil on them they are chromium (they should
not be but our guys packing get the ads confused sometime since there are
several both chrome and carbon).

Please let me know if you think you
received the incorrect item and we will correct the issue asap. "

Does anyone know any other ways of distinguishing carbon from chrome?

#8066 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

That's what I ordered, should arrive tomorrow.
If you look down on the listing under categories is says "chrome bearing balls"
All these ebay listings are from BC Precision.
I contacted them to ask which was it carbon or chrome and they said:
" They should be carbon steel if you ordered on this ad. If you
receive the balls and they have oil on them they are chromium (they should
not be but our guys packing get the ads confused sometime since there are
several both chrome and carbon).
Please let me know if you think you
received the incorrect item and we will correct the issue asap. "
Does anyone know any other ways of distinguishing carbon from chrome?

They both work just fine.
I have used chrome and found very little difference.
Magnetism seems not to be an issue even in my WOZ.

However the chrome balls dent up less but I change them frequently every 350 plays.

Put 100 plays on them and then put them on a flat surface like a countertop and see if they stick together.

Magnetized balls can be baked in the oven st 350 degrees for 30 mins to demagnetize them

#8067 5 years ago

According to my brother in law, who runs a ball bearing company, sorbothane is our best bet for dampening pinball energies. Amazon has adhesive pads from Isolate It that are 1/8th inch thick.

#8068 5 years ago

After 300 games, the whole playfield is saturated with these golf ball type dimples. This is supposed to be normal? I have not noticed this on older machines.

20190215_201441 (resized).jpg20190215_201441 (resized).jpg20190215_201447 (resized).jpg20190215_201447 (resized).jpg
#8069 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

After 300 games, the whole playfield is saturated with these golf ball type dimples. This is supposed to be normal? I have not noticed this on older machines.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Its normal they even out after awile.

#8070 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Its the clear coat, not the wood.

#8071 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Those are nothing compared to most of the new Sterns. They'd be much deeper.

#8072 5 years ago

Joining the club on Sunday, can't wait.

Does anyone have the topper from American Pinball directly if so I would love to see some additional pics.

Also can anyone share some good quality pics of of the mod couples water tank mod? Sadly their pics are small.

TIA

#8073 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Does anyone have the topper from American Pinball directly if so I would love to see some additional pics.

Also can anyone share some good quality pics of of the mod couples water tank mod?

Not sure which topper you mean. I scrounged some pictures from Pinside.

LTG : )

332d2cb5c151b164aa467e016fceea0d0709690a (resized).jpg332d2cb5c151b164aa467e016fceea0d0709690a (resized).jpg3a2d11a1bb18ac4d6cfecd175ab99a7e9f15a9c3 (resized).jpg3a2d11a1bb18ac4d6cfecd175ab99a7e9f15a9c3 (resized).jpg3ced0c4206faf3dcf968e10365609e6f4682d18c (resized).jpg3ced0c4206faf3dcf968e10365609e6f4682d18c (resized).jpgd017b9d7995b17ab18fc90a0cb85683bab190dff (resized).jpgd017b9d7995b17ab18fc90a0cb85683bab190dff (resized).jpg
#8074 5 years ago

This one

https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-open-trunk-topper

IMG_20181011_175409_1024x1024@2x (resized).jpgIMG_20181011_175409_1024x1024@2x (resized).jpg
#8075 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Joining the club on Sunday, can't wait.
Also can anyone share some good quality pics of of the mod couples water tank mod? Sadly their pics are small.
TIA

I've got it. Just haven't installed it....yet. Still waiting on getting my last few Cliffys installed first.

#8076 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I've got it. Just haven't installed it....yet. Still waiting on getting my last few Cliffys installed first.

How do you like it and I assume you got it from AP direct right?

#8077 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

How do you like it and I assume you got it from AP direct right?

I did. With the credit from the power supply, and some extra money. I haven't put it together yet, but I'll post when I do.

#8078 5 years ago

Hoping for a couple updates soon to iron out those few last
Missing animations ...

#8079 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hoping for a couple updates soon to iron out those few last
Missing animations ...

Which are missing? We still need the MM mode black screen fix also.

#8080 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Those are nothing compared to most of the new Sterns. They'd be much deeper.

OK. I cant say I noticed any on IM and Deadpool, etc.

#8081 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Which are missing? We still need the MM mode black screen fix also.

I can't remember exactly, but I think there's one missing from the Disappearing Elephant mode, and I believe there's one other one. The Master Magician mode and Film Binge mode graphics are also still kinda rough. They don't affect gameplay, just not in the same style as the rest of the game.

#8082 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I did. With the credit from the power supply, and some extra money. I haven't put it together yet, but I'll post when I do.

Very smart I should do the same. The one I am getting tomorrow doesn’t have the power fix and spending the credit on the topper would be great idea as I would like it as well. Thanks for the idea!

#8083 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Very smart I should do the same. The one I am getting tomorrow doesn’t have the power fix and spending the credit on the topper would be great idea as I would like it as well. Thanks for the idea!

You're welcome! I'll at least take and post some photos this weekend of it as it came shipped. I know it has to be assembled, as looking in the box, so I'll at least show you what you're getting in that regard. Nirmal was really great to work with in handling the discount!

#8084 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Make sure you try the game out before you pull the trigger on the power upgrade - it's a good idea, but not always required. I found it did keep games more consistent as I was playing for longer periods of time, but didn't really notice any issues unless I had multiple games or appliances (think fridge, dehumidifier) plugged into the same outlet. All 6 of my games are plugged into the same outlet, but I am obviously not playing them simultaneously.

#8085 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

OK. I cant say I noticed any on IM and Deadpool, etc.

It seems like Stern is using multiple suppliers. Some machines or even specific RUNS of machines have soft playfields, but others are not bad at all. But in general, you'll have the best chance of getting a playfield that gets deep divots from modern Stern.

#8086 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It seems like Stern is using multiple suppliers. Some machines or even specific RUNS of machines have soft playfields, but others are not bad at all. But in general, you'll have the best chance of getting a playfield that gets deep divots from modern Stern.

FWIW it’s really common on location. And they will eventually even out. I am not sure I’ve seen a lot of dimpling on JJP games but I also haven’t looked real close. Mine do not. The Sterns I’ve owned, and Houdini, yes. They go away, don’t flip out about it. (Haha see what i did there)

#8087 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

FWIW it’s really common on location. And they will eventually even out. I am not sure I’ve seen a lot of dimpling on JJP games but I also haven’t looked real close. Mine do not. The Sterns I’ve owned, and Houdini, yes. They go away, don’t flip out about it. (Haha see what i did there)

The ones I'm seeing are on location, and since it's a route I help maintain, I see almost all the new pins at one time or another. Stern definitely has a problem compared to JJP and to a lesser extent AP, but you can get some Sterns that are very hard and don't have the deep divots that other recent Sterns get. They HAVE to be using at least two playfield suppliers, maybe more, and ONE of them is good and the other(s) suck.

#8089 5 years ago

Here is the tank installed. The big opto obscures his face, unfortunately. You can still see the shadow of Nosferatu on the blade art. The lights work with GI and also flash when the stage light flashes. During Chinese water torture mode, the figure twists and squirms in the tank. Or maybe I am just sleep deprived and imagining that.

20190216_150211 (resized).jpg20190216_150211 (resized).jpg20190216_150233 (resized).jpg20190216_150233 (resized).jpg
#8090 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

According to my brother in law, who runs a ball bearing company, sorbothane is our best bet for dampening pinball energies. Amazon has adhesive pads from Isolate It that are 1/8th inch thick.

I have to agree that the Sorbothane looks great on paper.

But I ran a 3/16" thick piece for a couple days. It worked a bit, but not as amazing as I thought it would.
Gel filled pads would probably the best if one could get them.
Possibly gel filled Sorbothane squares.

What I think is needed is a small sandbag type of material that would stop a ball in its tracks even at a fairly fast speed.

Non newtonian polymeric gel or putty in a sorbothane enclosure, or something similar would be really good.

#8091 5 years ago

Does anyone know how to raise this rail to place this scoop protector?

20190217_020108 (resized).jpg20190217_020108 (resized).jpg
#8092 5 years ago

I hope I don't need to raise this black side rail.....again.

#8093 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Does anyone know how to raise this rail to place this scoop protector?
[quoted image]

I loosened the rail with the wood screws holding it underneath the play field.
I didn’t take them all the way out, just enough to sneak that Cliffy in there

#8094 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I hope I don't need to raise this black side rail.....again.

You also have to unscrew the VUK mechanism under the playfield. The big thing under the PF that shoots the ball out of the scoop. It’s a fairly independent hunk of hardware held in with four screws.

So, step 1. loosen the metal guide rail (not the wood one, but the metal thing in your photo that’s to the left) so you can get lots of clearance to avoid scratching the PF, and

Step 2. for me, I just completely unscrewed the VUK and let it dangle. Once I did that, it was easy. I think most people had luck just loosening the VUK to the point of it being almost off. However, start by loosening the metal guide rail, then see if just loosening the VUK will work. As you’ll see, the CLIFFY won’t be able to get under the PF unless you do that. Use a magnetized nut driver (best) or socket wrench with a long extension, use a strong light so you can see what you doing, be mellow and calm, and it’s not that bad if you go through the process of adequately loosening and removing stuff to clear the way. When you tighten the screws, don’t gorilla them - firm and snug is my preference.

Others who have done this have thoughts??

#8095 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Here is the tank installed. The big opto obscures his face, unfortunately. You can still see the shadow of Nosferatu on the blade art. The lights work with GI and also flash when the stage light flashes. During Chinese water torture mode, the figure twists and squirms in the tank. Or maybe I am just sleep deprived and imagining that.

I have the Mod Couple version. Not as fancy - not a 3D Houdini and just a GI bulb hookup - but still very nice. The opto is equally in a bad spot

#8096 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

You also have to unscrew the VUK mechanism under the playfield. The big thing under the PF that shoots the ball out of the scoop. It’s a fairly independent hunk of hardware held in with four screws.
So, step 1. loosen the metal guide rail (not the wood one, but the metal thing in your photo that’s to the left) so you can get lots of clearance to avoid scratching the PF, and
Step 2. for me, I just completely unscrewed the VUK and let it dangle. Once I did that, it was easy. I think most people had luck just loosening the VUK to the point of it being almost off. However, start by loosening the metal guide rail, then see if just loosening the VUK will work. As you’ll see, the CLIFFY won’t be able to get under the PF unless you do that. Use a magnetized nut driver (best) or socket wrench with a long extension, use a strong light so you can see what you doing, be mellow and calm, and it’s not that bad if you go through the process of adequately loosening and removing stuff to clear the way. When you tighten the screws, don’t gorilla them - firm and snug is my preference.
Others who have done this have thoughts??

Ditto on Zahner's comments above. I took the screws out that hold the VUK to the PF, and secured it so it wouldn't just be hanging. Even with loosening up screws on the metal rail, it was still a tight fit. When I installed the Cliffy's by the wooden rails, the wood would flex a bit, making it easier to install. Can't do that very much w/the metal rail.

Wes - Does your scoop protector have the side cut so it doesn't have to slip under the wooden rail? The early Cliffy's didn't have that.

#8097 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I have had one customer place the tank next to the trunk . As long as it does not create a ball trap the placement it limited only to wire length.

#8098 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Ditto on Zahner's comments above. I took the screws out that hold the VUK to the PF, and secured it so it wouldn't just be hanging. Even with loosening up screws on the metal rail, it was still a tight fit. When I installed the Cliffy's by the wooden rails, the wood would flex a bit, making it easier to install. Can't do that very much w/the metal rail.
Wes - Does your scoop protector have the side cut so it doesn't have to slip under the wooden rail? The early Cliffy's didn't have that.

Unfortunately it didn't...Cliffy told me I got his first designed set. So yeah, I had to reloosen five screws this time, and that was my last resort after going in, and removing the metal rails....the one against the black side rail, as well as the actual guide rail.

I ending up having the VUK dangle, did you secure yours? I wanted to try and remove the power coupling white clasp, but that wasn't popping out to well. Is there an easy way to do that?

Man....the nuts supporting the VUK are a hassle to remove, but far worse to get back in with standard size non magnetic nut drivers. I spent an hour dancing with two that would fall, then my hunt for them, drop them again, etc.

I found the source of my chipped playfield, I'd hoped it was just a loose flake from manufacturing, as I found it just after I raised the game for the first time months back, and with less than 50 plays. Is there anyway to repair this or should I put mylar over it to prevent more damage?

20190217_034904 (resized).jpg20190217_034904 (resized).jpg20190217_123544 (resized).jpg20190217_123544 (resized).jpg20190217_123550 (resized).jpg20190217_123550 (resized).jpg
#8099 5 years ago

Also... are these types of cracks normal for when nuts or screws were placed from manufacturing? When I removed these parts, first time I had, I was surprised to see marks like this on the playfield.

Thanks again for everyone's tips up above! This took me from before midnight till near five to get everything back together as it was, but at least I'm near the finish line, and feel comfortable playing now with the major Cliffy protectors and plastic protectors installed! Just wish this was all done when all games are made.

20190217_013109 (resized).jpg20190217_013109 (resized).jpg20190217_013138 (resized).jpg20190217_013138 (resized).jpg20190217_013145 (resized).jpg20190217_013145 (resized).jpg
#8100 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Unfortunately it didn't...Cliffy told me I got his first designed set. So yeah, I had to reloosen five screws this time, and that was my last resort after going in, and removing the metal rails....the one against the black side rail, as well as the actual guide rail.
I ending up having the VUK dangle, did you secure yours?

Homedepot sells a rubber coated 'hanger' (not the clothes kind). It's like a bendable wire, but soft on the outside - great for hanging/holding things temporarily w/o scratching them.

Look up vid1900 here about the playfield, he seems to be one of the PF restoration gurus.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 162 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/162?hl=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.