New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 183206)

American Pinball Houdini thread

By lllvjr

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11,626 posts
  • 626 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 54 minutes ago by Soundkillr
  • Topic is favorited by 164 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,526 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3C4F6350-CE79-4AFF-9579-2B1FA0208605 (resized).jpeg
image (3) (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
658A843B-EC4C-4436-98B0-10C01EA56B0A (resized).jpeg
8564D511-B0C1-4B8E-88FD-09D96DEB38CD (resized).jpeg
IMG_1697.JPG
CCC46D76-4709-46C7-869F-2439297EBC6C (resized).jpeg
PXL_20201002_135917522.jpg
DSC_5311 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 8.32.15 AM (resized).png
51346126-CFF4-4905-B598-2B9356BC7BE9 (resized).jpeg
E94F6B01-D6A7-4F3C-96F6-9011E5802E53 (resized).jpeg
A83368D1-8F23-4D5B-A660-3D68AF5D582E (resized).jpeg
CD982BF7-7C2C-48E8-B5E0-5729F67B6FC2 (resized).jpeg
7C077BFF-913D-475C-8FCF-A689E238D043 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11626 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 233.
#751 3 years ago

lol, only on Pinside would a sentence like

Quoted from rosh:

minor changes, to meet the BOM target

mean that people start speculating that a major feature was removed.

I thought it was odd that someone said it was in production and yet things were so quiet, I'm with Rosh on the definition of in production, so sure there will be more buzz and news when it gets genuinely closer.

#752 3 years ago

Removing any of the main toys, the Catapult, the Stage mech, the marquee monitor were never part of the conversation.

Changing the quality of the cabinet, backglass, playfield also never part of the conversation.

I suspect very few folks will notice the changes, since sometimes it just using a different metal on a mech where what was done was overkill, or it was removing something that we had hoped to do but had not even made its way into the game yet. Although we did change some things that are obvious, such as the ramp now being a wire form at the end, but that was not a cost driven thing.

#753 3 years ago

I was told at pin a go go in may about the ramp on left going from plastic to metal and thought that was a great idea to improve visibility on that side. Also, in long run metal stronger than plastic. That's a great change and improvement.
Rosh, im not reading anything into your posts. We appreciate the updates.
To expand on Aurich comment above...I feel the news that does come out has been limited as to not create a Aliens debacle of false hope and promises.
Proud future owner of Houdini when its ready.

#754 3 years ago

We are jonesing for a Houdini at the York Whiterose Gameroom Show Sept 29-30 in York, PA... Depends on AP's timeline and need for the 2 protos for production which obviously is much more important to the overall picture.

We are authorized distributors and are now taking $ 250 refundable deposits to get in line for the game. We hope to be one of the largest AP distributors and will be looking forward to ordering and delivering lots and lots of games... Hopefully many by the end of the year if things stay on schedule.

If you have any questions or want to pre-order one email Joe at Sales@PinballSTAR.com.

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements

#755 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Removing any of the main toys, the Catapult, the Stage mech, the marquee monitor were never part of the conversation.
Changing the quality of the cabinet, backglass, playfield also never part of the conversation.
I suspect very few folks will notice the changes, since sometimes it just using a different metal on a mech where what was done was overkill, or it was removing something that we had hoped to do but had not even made its way into the game yet. Although we did change some things that are obvious, such as the ramp now being a wire form at the end, but that was not a cost driven thing.

Throw us a few sneak peeks of the changes (if)when you can. Love seeing the evolution.

#756 3 years ago

Can you also add a call-out for crowd boo-ing when you drain the ball and a mode is running? Since the character is on stage performing and then screws up. Makes sense crowds from 1900's would Boo you!

#758 3 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Can you also add a call-out for crowd boo-ing when you drain the ball and a mode is running? Since the character is on stage performing and then screws up. Makes sense crowds from 1900's would Boo you!

A couple of weeks ago we did a sound session with a lot of folks to do audience sounds, and we did a variety of versions of booing and heckling. Likely hear some boos anytime you fail at an escape/illusion, not just when you drain, but may depend on how badly you failed and how easy/hard the mode/illusion was. I don't plan to have boos when doing one of the five movie modes, since I don't think you had a lot of audience booing during silent films, except maybe when a villain was on stage, and we focus on Houdini, who was always the hero.

#759 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

A couple of weeks ago we did a sound session with a lot of folks to do audience sounds, and we did a variety of versions of booing and heckling. Likely hear some boos anytime you fail at an escape/illusion, not just when you drain, but may depend on how badly you failed and how easy/hard the mode/illusion was. I don't plan to have boos when doing one of the five movie modes, since I don't think you had a lot of audience booing during silent films, except maybe when a villain was on stage, and we focus on Houdini, who was always the hero.

Why not just mix your own from audience FX sets from Hollywood Edge or Sound Ideas? You'll likely get better results and more control. They have one whole series that's JUST audience reactions and a bunch of related collections:

https://www.sound-ideas.com/Product/793/Walla-Series-Sound-Effects
https://www.sound-ideas.com/Product/425/Audience-Reactions-I-Sound-Effects-Library
https://www.sound-ideas.com/Product/426/Audience-Reactions-II-Sound-Effects-Library
https://www.sound-ideas.com/Product/89/Laughs-Cheers-Applause-Sound-Effects
https://www.sound-ideas.com/Product/875/Crowds-Concert-Audiences

#760 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Although we did change some things that are obvious, such as the ramp now being a wire form at the end, but that was not a cost driven thing.

Holy cow, the turn of the century look of the game will jibe so much better with that wire form. Great news, thanks

#761 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Very cool. Great idea too

#762 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Why not just mix your own from audience FX sets from Hollywood Edge or Sound Ideas? You'll likely get better results and more control. They have one whole series that's JUST audience reactions and a bunch of related collections:

Thanks for these suggestion, I'll let my sound engineer figure it out and I'm sure he will use other sources like those, but, using folks in the office for part of the audience, lets them be 'in the machine'. Plus, I don't think we will find a pre-recorded clip of an audience chanting "hou-di-ni" or hecklers calling him out by name, etc.

On an unrelated note, we did just post some positions we are hiring for . . .

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-is-hiring#post-3926483

#763 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Thanks for these suggestion, I'll let my sound engineer figure it out and I'm sure he will use other sources like those, but, using folks in the office for part of the audience, lets them be 'in the machine'. Plus, I don't think we will find a pre-recorded clip of an audience chanting "hou-di-ni" or hecklers calling him out by name, etc.

That's what I was suggesting. Use the extensive audience FX in those series to layer along with stuff specific to your machine. Like, for example, the Walla series has indistinct audience mumbling of various sizes and that could be layered as a background for the heckler, for example, to "fill out" the sound.

#764 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Never before have I wanted so badly to live in the Chicago area!

#765 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I was told at pin a go go in may about the ramp on left going from plastic to metal and thought that was a great idea to improve visibility on that side. Also, in long run metal stronger than plastic. That's a great change and improvement.

Me too at PAGG... in addition; the chrome chains (IMO: way too shiny & modern looking) would be toned down to a period correct darker bronze / slightly rusty look. I think that would be awesome! If not... mine will be modded that way.

Thanks Rosh & Team for your efforts!

#766 3 years ago

Totally agree on the rusty chains. Glad they are using the wire form ramp not the plastic. I have the spot ready for my soon to be first NIB pin!

#767 3 years ago

Hi,
Sorry for the questions but I was looking again at the pops area and I was wondering how some shots can be done like the hole Under the ramps "magic shop" shot, green standup targets. Are they random with pops bumpers?
This game is 2 flippers, correct? I can't see clearly all areas of the pf.
And why there are 2 switches side by side in the left loop?
Thanks

#768 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Hi,
Sorry for the questions but I was looking again at the pops area and I was wondering how some shots can be done like the hole Under the ramps "magic shop" shot, green standup targets. Are they random with pops bumpers?
This game is 2 flippers, correct? I can't see clearly all areas of the pf.
And why there are 2 switches side by side in the left loop?
Thanks

the magic shop can be entered either by pop action or by rebounding it off the stage curtain or off the rubber to the left of the stage. In addition, shooting through 'stage alley' (the shot just to right of the left orbit), when the stage is closed, will typically rebound off the stage and into the magic shop hole. Shooting into an open stage, via stage alley, doubles the value of all scoring in that mode.

The three green standup targets are also hit via pop action, but, you can also complete those by hitting the white 'magic' standup targets located on both side on the lower playfield. Also, entering the magic shop/jail when escape is not lit, will add an escape letter.

As I said, the the magic targets will light the next ESCAPE letter and if all escape letters are lit, they will then light SEANCE letters and if all of those are lit, they will then light FILM letters, if all of those are lit, they will just award points (oh, and the magnets under the hands will mess with the ball any time magic targets are hit). The magic target insert lights in the color associated with which items it will currently help (green for escape, teal for seance, blue for film) Those magic standup targets are also active during most stage modes (red) and film/movie modes (blue), typically they will 'advance' you one step through the mode, but only once per mode.

The 2 switches in the left orbit are there to help insure you get credit for the shot given how wide it is, there is no room for an opto which would be what would typically be used across a wide opening.

#769 3 years ago

Is there any kind of ETA on when these will become available thru Cointaker?

#770 3 years ago

We do need a organized list of Dealers that will offer these nationwide. A coast to coast list would be nice.
I dont think cointaker is on the Houdini list, i could be wrong.

#771 3 years ago

We do need a organized list of Dealers that will offer these nationwide. A coast to coast list would be nice.

We should be publishing a complete list of distributors soon. Some have announced here on the forum. I've not really kept up with who and who is not on the list, so I can't really comment on it.

#772 3 years ago

Well I can tell you PinballSTAR Amusements is an authorized distributor. We've had the Houdini game and Joe, Josh, and Dhaval in our booth at Allentown. We are taking orders with $ 250 refundable deposits. Happy to discuss Houdini with anyone who is interested - shoot me an email at Sales@PinballSTAR.com.

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements

#773 3 years ago

Thanks Joe! I know your a Great Business.
Just, its a Big country and theres bound to be somone pop up here in California.

#774 3 years ago

I put a deposit down with Joe @ PinballSTAR. This is my first time dealing with him, and he's a great guy ! I also spoke with the guys at American Pinball - they seemed to be very down to earth and I got a good "vibe" from them. Excited to hear more updates.

#775 3 years ago

Flip N Out Pinball is an authorized distributor for American Pinball. If all goes well we will have a few games in October with more to follow as production ramps up. I had a Houdini in Atlanta in June and in my showroom for a week so the STDM guys got to shoot video. Check out the video on their youtube channel for lots of gameplay action.
I've been to their headquarters in Chicago and they have a lot of talented pinball guys on this project along with some new faces. The parent company is solid and I believe we will be seeing more great games coming from this company.

Call us anytime to discuss timing, pricing, etc. Check out our booth in Chicago Expo and stop and have some Kentucky hospitality with us.

larry@flipnoutpinball.com
847-778-4876

1 week later
#776 3 years ago

Hoping for an update bump...

#777 3 years ago

Pincades of Northwest Indiana is a Authorized Distributor for American Pinball. Seen this game and design from the ground up!!
Great game Great Flow and Lots of Great Talent and Dedication going into this build.

Come see us @ Chicago Pinball Expo, Play some Houdini and if you decide its something you want to get in on.

ONLY $100.00 gets u on the list. Fully Refunadable
Info@pincades.com

Pincades
JT

#778 3 years ago

Getting itchy ....
Cant wait for this, looking forward to these rolling off the line in a month or so.

#779 3 years ago

i have my eyes on this machine, can't wait.

Question, who else is going to be the distributor in canada?

#780 3 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i have my eyes on this machine, can't wait.
Question, who else is going to be the distributor in canada?

Nitro is the distributor for Canada. Contact us anytime at sales@nitropinball.com or msg. me on Pinside. No deposit taken. We'll contact you when games are ready to ship.

Thanks,

Tommy
www.NitroPinball.com
1-855-DO-NITRO (36-64876)

#781 3 years ago

FUN! Billiards & Gameroom Superstore in Mesquite, TX is also an American Pinball, Inc. distributor.

We too are taking pre-orders now.
All that is required at this time is a refundable $250 deposit.

I'm pleased that American Pinball has boosted that they are financially backed and no other monies are due until your game is ready to ship. This is really a "no risk" pre-order. Good news for our hobby.

Call me at 972-686-7808 if you'd like place an order or email me at:
craigfunsuperstore@gmail.com

Thanks,
Craig Hassell
FUN!
www.pinballandmore.com

#782 3 years ago

Looking for an update.... ROSH - any news for us (SUPER excited for this machine)?

#783 3 years ago

If your ever in Chicago area visit us at our Great American Pinball showroom. We have a full showroom with 40 games on the floor and inventory in the backroom. We are a Authorized American Pinball Distibutor and can ship all over the US. We will be open during Expo!!!!!

We are located just minutes from the American Pinball HQ,

Great American Pinball
850 meadowview crossing unit 10
West Chicago, IL 60185

Or you can visit us on our site at greatamericanpinball.com.

Our pinside feedback is 100% positive feedback from people we sell to all over the United States.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/gap/feedback

We also have 100 positive feedback on eBay.

We are talking pre orders at this time on Houidini. Let us now if you want one!!! Call 630 440 5190.

Thanks
GAP

20170520_134921 (resized).jpg
20170520_134844 (resized).jpg
20170520_134854 (resized).jpg
20170831_183801 (resized).jpg
20170831_183756 (resized).jpg
20170831_183743 (resized).jpg
20170831_183735 (resized).jpg
20170831_183647 (resized).jpg
20170831_183708 (resized).jpg
20170831_183729 (resized).jpg

#784 3 years ago

I am pretty new around here so I am curious if all pinball companies provide updates and responses on Pinside like we have seen from AP on Houdini? Is this type of feedback and updates common and expected? Thanks!

#785 3 years ago
Quoted from nipper2u:

I am pretty new around here so I am curious if all pinball companies provide updates and responses on Pinside like we have seen from AP on Houdini? Is this type of feedback and updates common and expected? Thanks!

no. Just a select few.

#786 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

no. Just a select few.

That's right. I don't believe I've ever seen an update from Stern on here. They usually announce stuff at expo and the big shows

#787 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That's right. I don't believe I've ever seen an update from Stern on here. They usually announce stuff at expo and the big shows

They tried a few times, but their PR guy was run off.

#788 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Lol! I forgot about that. I don't think JJP does much on here either, but I'm not sure. Heighway and Dutch Pinball used to... but uh.. yeah not sure what happened there. Gulp.

#789 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Lol! I forgot about that. I don't think JJP does much on here either, but I'm not sure. Heighway and Dutch Pinball used to... but uh.. yeah not sure what happened there. Gulp.

LLoyd helps with JJP tech support here, but I don't think they have a PR person here.

#790 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

LLoyd helps with JJP tech support here, but I don't think they have a PR person here.

I'm sorry, you're right - I specifically meant marketing. No offense, Lloyd!

#791 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm sorry, you're right - I specifically meant marketing. No offense, Lloyd!

You kidding, Lloyd is marketing, support, supporter, tech, therapist, friend, shoulder to cry on, rules guide, and anything else connected to pinball or games with balls in general! Pool included. That man is an encyclopedia of pinball support and a dam nice person.

#792 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You kidding, Lloyd is marketing, support, supporter, tech, therapist, friend, shoulder to cry on, rules guide, and anything else connected to pinball or games with balls in general! Pool included. That man is an encyclopedia of pinball support and a dam nice person.

Word

#794 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

All manufacturers still plant stuff here. Just not officially.

#795 3 years ago

We are taking pre-orders as well
http://pinballpro.net/shop/american-pinball-houdini-pre-order/

Thanks
Greg M
Pinballpro.com

#796 3 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

All manufacturers still plant stuff here. Just not officially.

That is completely true. Positive and negative info.

#797 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You are not exactly making a great case for me to continue to post updates Would not shock me if at some point I am asked to stop. Obviously it is a two way street, and if trolls turn things ugly, it is hard for a manufacturer to want to be participative in a public forum.

Quoted from Valorguy:

Looking for an update.... ROSH - any news for us (SUPER excited for this machine)?

Did come in this morning to find over 250 new voice calls waiting for me and a handful of new art elements for me to animate. I'm a little behind where I want to be on the code, primarily around the mini magician and the master magician modes. There are also a few other missing items that I've not gotten around to yet, things I consider lower priority right now, but will soon need to be addresses. Of course there rare going to be a lot of clean-up items (e.g. text formatting, etc.) and I'm sure as the machines start to get played more, various bugs will be uncovered. I should soon have a machine with one of the new playfields and new lamp boards, both of which are slightly different for the prototypes, and therefore will require some code changes.

Parts continue to arrive daily, unlike some companies our goal is not to build machines until we have all the parts. Stacking half built playfields against walls in hallways and bathrooms, does not help with a quality build (or so I am told by our production manager). Not sure how many more things we are waiting on, but the assembly line itself is looking great, as they are now doing the set up of workstations.

We have new staff joining us almost every day. Parking is starting to become an issue around here.

We are still very much on track for machines shipping this year.

#798 3 years ago

Any chance people could get a tour of the facility during Expo?

#799 3 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Any chance people could get a tour of the facility during Expo?

We have talked about this, and while I am not 100% ruling it out, I doubt it will happen this year.

#800 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

You are not exactly making a great case for me to continue to post updates Would not shock me if at some point I am asked to stop. Obviously it is a two way street, and if trolls turn things ugly, it is hard for a manufacturer to want to be participative in a public forum.

Did come in this morning to find over 250 new voice calls waiting for me and a handful of new art elements for me to animate. I'm a little behind where I want to be on the code, primarily around the mini magician and the master magician modes. There are also a few other missing items that I've not gotten around to yet, things I consider lower priority right now, but will soon need to be addresses. Of course there rare going to be a lot of clean-up items (e.g. text formatting, etc.) and I'm sure as the machines start to get played more, various bugs will be uncovered. I should soon have a machine with one of the new playfields and new lamp boards, both of which are slightly different for the prototypes, and therefore will require some code changes.
Parts continue to arrive daily, unlike some companies our goal is not to build machines until we have all the parts. Stacking half built playfields against walls in hallways and bathrooms, does not help with a quality build (or so I am told by our production manager). Not sure how many more things we are waiting on, but the assembly line itself is looking great, as they are now doing the set up of workstations.
We have new staff joining us almost every day. Parking is starting to become an issue around here.
We are still very much on track for machines shipping this year.

Thanks for the update Rosh!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Easton, PA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Oakville, MO
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 11626 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 233.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside