20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 154 of 297.
#7651 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

The one guy was sort of objective but the other guy was a complete tool - the one Buffalo Pinball dude who said he flipped a ball or two on Houdini and immediately hated it and walked away. Complained he couldn’t hear the sound. Why are you reviewing pinball machines when you are too lazy to invest some serious time actually reviewing the various aspects of the game in an environment that is conducive to an objective review? Obviously he went into the experience not wanting to like Houdini.

This is a very common attitude - not sure if it’s more recent or not, but I have seen people who state up front they don’t like the game, play 2 or 3 games and get a great high score, then walk away sayin “eh”. I totally don’t get it. I do think it has something to do with the smoothness of the shots - Houdini certainly isn’t a “smooth shooter”, but to me, that lines up with the fan layout thing. Everybody’s entitled to their opinion!

#7652 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This is a very common attitude - not sure if it’s more recent or not, but I have seen people who state up front they don’t like the game, play 2 or 3 games and get a great high score, then walk away sayin “eh”. I totally don’t get it. I do think it has something to do with the smoothness of the shots - Houdini certainly isn’t a “smooth shooter”, but to me, that lines up with the fan layout thing. Everybody’s entitled to their opinion!

Opinions...yes. However, if you do a review, I would assume it is based on experience and a little bit of knowledge; honest objectivity if you will.

#7653 5 years ago

Sorry for the late response...Lots going on at the factory!

In regards to the 18.12.12 update problems.

We initiated an OS change in a previous update (don't remember which one) but that allowed us to include a date in the update name. This in theory will help with the duplicate code problem ((houdini-gamecode(X).pkg), where x = a number)). The only problem is you need to have the OS update package already installed for this new name format to work....

If you tried to install the new code 18.12.12 and all that happens is the logs are copied to your USB stick and the new update was not installed.
1. check your USB drive to ensure it is FAT 32 formatted and is at least 4 GB in size. (hopefully you are using the same USB stick you used to update Houdini
before).

2.Go to the file name on the USB drive and rename the file.
Original name houdini-gamecode_18.12.12.pkg
Renamed name houdini-gamecode.pkg
Try to install again.

If it doesn’t take try a different USB drive at least 4 GB formatted as FAT32 with the same altered file name.

#7654 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Mine does the same.

I just got the same black screen. during MM mode. It doesn't happen every time. This one was on my third ball of a 5 ball game. The final H letter earned was a second stage mode letter (red).

#7655 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Opinions...yes. However, if you do a review, I would assume it is based on experience and a little bit of knowledge; honest objectivity if you will.

Agreed; I didn’t see that review but it sounds pretty jackass-y

#7656 5 years ago

Houdini is a very unique pin that goes outside the box. The layout is completely different from anything else, that it just doesn't compare to any other title. The rules are incredible, as there are four different sectors to choose from & several different multiballs. Plus the art adds a dimension of that time period while adding to the allure of mystery & danger. Houdini is absolutely a top-tier pin that defines a change in the pinball industry. With the latest updated code & the lightning fast ongoing support, look no further folks Houdini is pinball at it's finest!

#7657 5 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

Houdini is a very unique pin that goes outside the box. The layout is completely different from anything else, that it just doesn't compare to any other title. The rules are incredible, as there are four different sectors to choose from & several different multiballs. Plus the art adds a dimension of that time period while adding to the allure of mystery & danger. Houdini is absolutely a top-tier pin that defines a change in the pinball industry. With the latest updated code & the lightning fast ongoing support, look no further folks Houdini is pinball at it's finest!

Hear, hear! I second that.

#7658 5 years ago

Hi guys – sorry if this was already covered. Searched for the topic and could not find it. Trying to download the new code 18.12.12. I'm currently only on 18.5.4.

Display keeps telling me that my game files are copied to the USB stick instead of actually downloading the 12.12 file from the stick itself.

I am sure the code is fully downloaded on the stick and it is programed FAT32.

The README notes even state that this might happen but doesn't tell you what to do. In essence I need the code to download and not have it simply copy game files to the stick.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

#7659 5 years ago

Read Barry’s post #7653 just a few messages up on this page.

#7660 5 years ago

Laughing at myself. So I did a search so as to not bug you guys, and the answer was for 4 posts up (out of 7600!!) from my question? Ha ha

Thanks Ferret (and Barry!) Worked like a charm.

Appreciate it because I'm having a New Years Eve party tomorrow night and the guys will kill me if Houdini wasn't updated!

#7661 5 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

Well said. Ours isn’t going anywhere (although I do get tempted every once in a while since we have limited space). I expect this will eventually be both a highly regarded and rare game, as those
Missing out will finally catch up...

#7662 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Well said. Ours isn’t going anywhere (although I do get tempted every once in a while since we have limited space). I expect this will eventually be both a highly regarded and rare game, as those
Missing out will finally catch up...

I'm looking forwards to Houdini being a tournament favorite.

It has all the requirements.

#7663 5 years ago

Pinball life has the art blade protectors back in stock.

https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

#7664 5 years ago

Is anyone besides me completely confused by the "Master Magician" Wizard mode? The screen goes black and I'm shooting at everything that's lit or blinking, but by the end no matter what I hit, Houdini just counts me down and ends the game. Wouldn't several several separate phases of Master Magician be easier to follow and more satisfying, ala Cirqus Voltaire?

#7665 5 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

Is anyone besides me completely confused by the "Master Magician" Wizard mode? The screen goes black and I'm shooting at everything that's lit or blinking, but by the end no matter what I hit, Houdini just counts me down and ends the game. Wouldn't several several separate phases of Master Magician be easier to follow and more satisfying, ala Cirqus Voltaire?

I too continue to get the blank screen during magician.
I did hit a new mode, one that I had not seen before. It was all the jail escapes at once. Tons of fun. Has anyone else run across that mode before?
I was getting a bit of freak out toward the end of that mode. The stage door opened and a ball dribbled in, and it seem to get really confused for a bit.
It eventually straightened itself out, and all was well.
Continues to be an outstanding game.

#7666 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I too continue to get the blank screen during magician.
I did hit a new mode, one that I had not seen before. It was all the jail escapes at once. Tons of fun. Has anyone else run across that mode before?
I was getting a bit of freak out toward the end of that mode. The stage door opened and a ball dribbled in, and it seem to get really confused for a bit.
It eventually straightened itself out, and all was well.
Continues to be an outstanding game.

Guys, post what version of the code you are on. Most released versions include this bug, where the MM mode goes all crazy.
LOTS of
Text
Flying by currently,
But I'm sure
This
Will
Be addressed

#7667 5 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

Indeed, it's the mode I try to avoid rather than attain. Last real beef I have with this game, ending rather than continue on like most any other pinball wizard mode... with logic of "you rarely will get here" or "you will be tired and ready to quit". Nope and nope.

#7668 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Guys, post what version of the code you are on. Most released versions include this bug, where the MM mode goes all crazy.
LOTS of
Text
Flying by currently,
But I'm sure
This
Will
Be addressed

#7669 5 years ago

I am using 18.12.12, and have gotten the black screen during MM mode, but at other times (once), it has worked perfectly, showing me all the challenges in a screen similar to the progress screen, updating the status of each real time as I complete certain shots. The fast-scrolling instructions is normal and hasnt changed over the several software updates. I shot a video of it, which I can post on YouTube. To start MM, you have to have earned the 7 letters, then shoot the ball in the scoop or the stage. You then get a straightjacket-style multiball. This is when the screen may go black, except for your score. Shoot all the lit shots, and when down to one ball, you get 60 secs to hit all the shots remaining. At end of 60 seconds, you should get a "Failed" screenn if you didnt hit every shot, and then a final score and the initials entry screen. Then the game ends even if you have more balls available. That is normal. Josh is aware of the black screen bug.

#7670 5 years ago

Well here's a thought... I could be happy with the game ending if a person actually BEATS the wizard mode. But if this mode got the best of you, IMO it would be better for the game to berate the player, tell them they are not the master magician yet and continue on with any remaining balls.

#7671 5 years ago

Thanks for the info. I don't mind the game ending so much as I would really love to know what to shoot at during "Wizard Mode" without having to take a screenshot of the instructions and tape it to the backboard! It would be lovely if there were sequential callouts and/or screen instructions guiding you through each phase of your progress.

#7672 5 years ago

Here is a link to the Master Magician mode scrolling instructions. At the end, you can also see the status screen as it is supposed to appear while you are playing the mode.

#7673 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Here is a link to the Master Magician mode scrolling instructions. At the end, you can also see the status scree as it is supposed to appear while you are playing the mode.

Holy crap, that is a WALL of text. Definitely looks like the mode needs quite a bit more polish. That wall of text should be broken up into narration you activate as you finish each requirement, and it probably needs some specific prompts to remind you while in each step of the list.

#7674 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Holy crap, that is a WALL of text. Definitely looks like the mode needs quite a bit more polish. That wall of text should be broken up into narration you activate as you finish each requirement, and it probably needs some specific prompts to remind you while in each step of the list.

I get the concern, and appreciate the daunting look of all those instructions, but the mode boils down to shooting everything that is lighted in the various color codes before you get down to one ball left. It's more a challenge of keeping the balls in play (mastering the inverted and reversed flippers) than hitting specific targets in specific order. I completed 5 of 7 challenges in this mode without really aiming at anything in particular. We need the black screen bug fixed foremost.

#7675 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I get the concern, and appreciate the daunting look of all those instructions, but the mode boils down to shooting everything that is lighted in the various color codes before you get down to one ball left. It's more a challenge of keeping the balls in play (mastering the inverted and reversed flippers) than hitting specific targets in specific order. I completed 5 of 7 challenges in this mode without really aiming at anything in particular. We need the black screen bug fixed foremost.

Yeah but has anyone seen the All Jail Escape Multi-Mode [or whatever it's called] where the challenge is to do all of the escapes at once during a limited time? First time for me. Just curious if that is what shows up in the High Score roll as "Jail Escape." If so, it would answer why ROSH had 125K score listed on my machine - which was played at a show. I wondered how I could beat such a high score on a single escape, and this might be answer...???? The other less attractive option is that the pin is correct when it tells me, "You Stink."

#7676 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Yeah but has anyone seen the All Jail Escape Multi-Mode [or whatever it's called] where the challenge is to do all of the escapes at once during a limited time? First time for me. Just curious if that is what shows up in the High Score roll as "Jail Escape." If so, it would answer why ROSH had 125K score listed on my machine - which was played at a show. I wondered how I could beat such a high score on a single escape, and this might be answer...???? The other less attractive option is that the pin is correct when it tells me, "You Stink."

I reached that mode once and immediately lost the ball. Sigh.

#7677 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm sure it will be - Rosh has stated numerous times that this mode hasn't really been finished yet. And obviously since the bug is still there, we will be getting further updates. This game has already had a ton of updates - the September (I think?) really took it to a new level

#7678 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Here is a link to the Master Magician mode scrolling instructions. At the end, you can also see the status screen as it is supposed to appear while you are playing the mode.

Aaahhhh....thanks for showing me that clip....I know I’ll never get there on my game!! lol

#7679 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Aaahhhh....thanks for showing me that clip....I know I’ll never get there on my game!! lol

5 balls and long save times will get you there!

#7680 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

5 balls and long save times will get you there!

Don't forget plenty of extra balls.

#7681 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Don't forget plenty of extra balls.

True, but I sent a limit of 5 extra balls. So I never get more than 10 total. That's nuff.

#7682 5 years ago

Don't forget to VOTE for Houdini as game if the year for the TWIPY Awards!

#7683 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Don't forget to VOTE for Houdini as game if the year for the TWIPY Awards!

Forgive my ignorance....what is that and where can I vote?

#7684 5 years ago

Also....#39??? Seriously?
I mean, yes I own one but 39? This game is fantastic! Why not higher? Original, challenging, gorgeous? Too many fan boys out there? I don’t understand? Please help!!

#7685 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Forgive my ignorance....what is that and where can I vote?

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twipy-2018-ballot/

Great site for weekly pinball news and updates.

LTG : )

#7686 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

#39??? Seriously?

That's pretty freaking good! Thousands of pinball machines have been produced and a couple hundred in the modern era. Also, Stern outsells everyone today by a huge margin so a lot more Stern owners out there voting up those titles above 39.

The Pinside rankings need to be taken with a huge grain of salt. It's fun and informative but very biased by many factors.

#7687 5 years ago

I chose Houdini for Twippy for best rules. Game is really intuitive and color coded.

Anyways,
I FINALLY had a good game. My settings were easy and balls were set to 5, so it’s not that impressive.

What a rush rosh I made it to final magician and scored about 1.2M for having completed 7/10 modes. Is there a running list for outstanding code requests? Remember you had link to one somewhere. Running v18.12.12 I have a list of mostly previously mentioned tweaks and code balancing ideas to request.

99D53B83-3BC5-416F-B762-6F6B6E7CA071 (resized).jpeg99D53B83-3BC5-416F-B762-6F6B6E7CA071 (resized).jpeg

#7688 5 years ago

Stupid question of the day:

On older DMD machines (remakes included), a quick heads up that something was wrong was the ever subtle credit dot.... how do these LCD games let you know if something might need to be checked?

Thanks

#7689 5 years ago

Also...does anyone have the shaker installed in their machine? When is it active? Worth the money? Contemplating buying one as all my other games have the shaker and I don't want Houdini to feel left out! lol

#7690 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Stupid question of the day:
On older DMD machines (remakes included), a quick heads up that something was wrong was the ever subtle credit dot.... how do these LCD games let you know if something might need to be checked?
Thanks

The gauge on the main screen of the service menu will turn from green to orange/yellow or red and it will have a line with what it thinks the problem is.

#7691 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Also...does anyone have the shaker installed in their machine? When is it active? Worth the money? Contemplating buying one as all my other games have the shaker and I don't want Houdini to feel left out! lol

Shaker is worth the money. I'd get the upgraded power supply and use the credit you get for buying that to get the shaker motor and knocker/EOS kit for "free."

#7692 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Shaker is worth the money. I'd get the upgraded power supply and use the credit you get for buying that to get the shaker motor and knocker/EOS kit for "free."

Agreed on all counts. Shaker is great with the pop bumpers, vanishing elephant, and most all of the modes - it's pretty active. Knocker is really good too.

#7693 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

What is the upgraded power supply (and why)?
How is the shaker free in that regard?

#7694 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

The power upgrade is on their site,and it deals ostensibly with power fluctuations from inconsistent voltage sources. A lot of us are just putting it in as a prophylactic measure. It has the benefit of delivering a consistent voltage supply so everything should work the same today as it will tomorrow, as it will next week, so forth and so on. Things like the catapult and up kickers.
The free part is that if you purchase one from American pinball, which is absolutely the way to do it since they have all their appropriate hook ups and instructions, you get a $150 credit. You would then use the $150 credit to purchase these other items. I ended up buying a spare plastics set. It’s a great deal, and probably something you should think about doing. There’s a ton of information in this thread on this very subject starting a few months back.

#7695 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Click on "Topic Index" at the top of this page and then show all. There's a direct link near the bottom about the power supply offer.

#7696 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

these LCD games let you know if something might need to be checked

Quoted from PinMonk:

The gauge on the main screen of the service menu will turn from green to orange/yellow or red and it will have a line with what it thinks the problem is.

While the gauge will tell you this, that requires going into service mode. There is an indicator on the main score screen during game play that is the equivalent to the 'dot' and there is also a 'dot' on the credits screen in attract mode if there is an issue. As far the indicator on the main score screen, curious to see if anyone can tell us what it is, but suspect very few of you have seen it. So, I'll give it a day to see if anyone has and can report what it was they saw.

Quoted from hollywood:

Some owners have issues with inconsistent power in their homes or locations. The updated supply solves the issues associated with that. As indicated, some have chosen to upgrade regardless of having the issue.

#7697 5 years ago

Found this shooter rod at Chrome Candy. I like the feel & weight of it.

20190107_173612 (resized).jpg20190107_173612 (resized).jpg

20190107_173300 (resized).jpg20190107_173300 (resized).jpg
#7698 5 years ago

AP site says power supply is sold out. Maybe they will get them back?

#7699 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

AP site says power supply is sold out. Maybe they will get them back?

Yes. They get more and sell out. Then get more and sell out...

#7700 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Found this shooter rod at Chrome Candy. I like the feel & weight of it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That looks great, which one is that?

I also like the faucet handle one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 154 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/154?hl=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.