20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 152 of 297.
#7551 5 years ago

Has anyone thought about building a Nixie tube interactive topper? Prices on IN-14 tubes have gotten very reasonable and there's a bunch of open source software for Audrino available. Lots of off the shelf tube shields with sockets too. I think I'm going to get a clock kit and 3D print some kind of enclosure. You could potentially show high score, ball in play, etc but I don't have the software skills for that. I'm generally not a fan of most toppers, but in this case if it's interactive and matches the existing steampunk graphics, it would look awesome.

#7552 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Has anyone thought about building a Nixie tube interactive topper? Prices on IN-14 tubes have gotten very reasonable and there's a bunch of open source software for Audrino available. Lots of off the shelf tube shields with sockets too. I think I'm going to get a clock kit and 3D print some kind of enclosure. You could potentially show high score, ball in play, etc but I don't have the software skills for that. I'm generally not a fan of most toppers, but in this case if it's interactive and matches the existing steampunk graphics, it would look awesome.

A Nixie tube topper showing high score or time would be totally cool for this game! I’m in for one!

#7553 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

That is a brilliant idea! There are LED-based "Nixie" tubes (called "Lixie") that are both more durable, less prone to getting fried, and look remarkably close (although they aren't really "tubes")
https://www.ponoko.com/blog/maker-success-stories/led-nixie-clock-lixie-labs/
https://www.tindie.com/products/connornishijima/lixie-an-led-alternative-to-the-nixie-tube/

#7554 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

An interactive topper with this would have so many possibilities. Timers, scores, match numbers, it would be great. But it would require an interface and programming from Josh.

#7555 5 years ago

Sunday December 16 had my best game of Houdini yet. 3 trunk multiballs and 3 extra balls. Was at almost 1.5 million then got into movie binge mode and somehow hit all the shots. Thought the game froze when it went into that search engine thing at the start of binge. Got hairy (Harry?) with only 2 ramps to go when I drained two balls but it didn't end then had an agonizing wait for the ball search and got those last two ramps. Bonus on ball 4 was 159K with an 8x multiplier. last two balls weren't instant drainos but nothing exceptional happened. final score was 3.5 million. 32 minute game. 1.345 million on binge. It was also one of those "OK this is the last game and then I'm going to have dinner" type deals where the food was getting cold. Ridiculous game. The night before I was thinking of a 2 million point game as my next goal.

#7556 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

An interactive topper with this would have so many possibilities. Timers, scores, match numbers, it would be great. But it would require an interface and programming from Josh.

Yes. I'm hoping Josh likes the idea enough. We can only dream...

#7557 5 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

Sunday December 16 had my best game of Houdini yet. 3 trunk multiballs and 3 extra balls. Was at almost 1.5 million then got into movie binge mode and somehow hit all the shots. Thought the game froze when it went into that search engine thing at the start of binge. Got hairy (Harry?) with only 2 ramps to go when I drained two balls but it didn't end then had an agonizing wait for the ball search and got those last two ramps. Bonus on ball 4 was 159K with an 8x multiplier. last two balls weren't instant drainos but nothing exceptional happened. final score was 3.5 million. 32 minute game. 1.345 million on binge. It was also one of those "OK this is the last game and then I'm going to have dinner" type deals where the food was getting cold. Ridiculous game. The night before I was thinking of a 2 million point game as my next goal.

Fantastic game! 8X is tough to get. You had the milkcan loop shot nailed.

#7558 5 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

Geez, I just finally hit a million Sat night after 3 months. (3 ball, easy settings).

#7559 5 years ago

I'm not sure if this has been reported or not, but I'm running the new code and when I try to launch a new game during the match sequence it attempts to start a game, but immediately ends the game and then shows the final score as being 0 and having taken 0 time. Is anyone else seeing this? I can put in another quarter and then start a new game after this, but the machine eats the quarter of the game I started during the match sequence. Yes, we use quarters in my home game

Also, perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I liked the speed of the previous flipper escape on the bonus screen. All in all the update is great though I really appreciate the continued support and improvements on an already amazing game!

NewGameBug0 (resized).jpgNewGameBug0 (resized).jpg
#7560 5 years ago
Quoted from Osro:

I'm not sure if this has been reported or not, but I'm running the new code and when I try to launch a new game during the match sequence it attempts to start a game, but immediately ends the game and then shows the final score as being 0 and having taken 0 time. Is anyone else seeing this? I can put in another quarter and then start a new game after this, but the machine eats the quarter of the game I started during the match sequence. Yes, we use quarters in my home game
Also, perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I liked the speed of the previous flipper escape on the bonus screen. All in all the update is great though I really appreciate the continued support and improvements on an already amazing game!
[quoted image]

I’ve not seen this. Could it be related to the use of coins? See if it happens on Free play

#7561 5 years ago

Odd Question (maybe)- I recently acquired a HUO TWDpro. We were breaking it down and the seller remembered that he had to empty the coin box. He had multiple games at his house and all were pay to play. He indicated that he was told by some game designer, that there were games that had modes that would only come up on pay vs free play. Midnight madness and others. Any truth to this? I've never heard this before.

What about Houdini? Any other easter eggs other then Morse code start button?

#7562 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Odd Question (maybe)- I recently acquired a HUO TWDpro. We were breaking it down and the seller remembered that he had to empty the coin box. He had multiple games at his house and all were pay to play. He indicated that he was told by some game designer, that there were games that had modes that would only come up on pay vs free play. Midnight madness and others. Any truth to this? I've never heard this before.

Ive had lots of machines. What I like about coin drop in home environment is the sound a game will make and that tactile function of inserting a coin. Addams, Indy, Fish Tales, Arabian Nights, they all make a great coin sound. My goal at home is to always win 1 or 2 games , that way there is always some credits on screen. Eventually it falls to zero statistically, just like any other one armed bandit.

#7563 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Sounds like a Gamestop employee.

#7564 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Midnight madness and others. Any truth to this?

Some Williams DMD games have midnight madness. A simple search on Pinside will help you for which ones.

And you can set the clock earlier so you don't have to stay up to midnight for it.

LTG : )

#7565 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Sounds like a Gamestop employee.

That mode is called "insert coins" in attract mode.

#7566 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Some Williams DMD games have midnight madness.

Had a junkyard, did not require coins, as far as I can remember, to get to midnight madness. Had never heard about it, was early in my collecting days, which was also back when I was annoyed with LTG. and it totally freaked me out the first time it happened as I had no clue what was going on, as it seemed like crashed in the middle of a game.

#7567 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

I was wondering if one would pop up on the day Houdini died, but didn't see anything.

#7568 5 years ago

Code update tip: If for when inserting the USB drive you just get a Settings saved message and the update does not start, try a different USB drive. For some reason some USB drives don't work.

Many thanks to Barry for helping me figure this out!

#7569 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I was wondering if one would pop up on the day Houdini died, but didn't see anything.

I played the hell out of it on Halloween too but nothing special happened other than I had a really good time.

#7570 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

was early in my collecting days, which was also back when I was annoyed with LTG.

Which is why I tried to warn Nirmal about touching your stuff.

LTG : )

#7571 5 years ago
Quoted from leesparts:

Code update tip: If for when inserting the USB drive you just get a Settings saved message and the update does not start, try a different USB drive. For some reason some USB drives don't work.
Many thanks to Barry for helping me figure this out!

Yeah you need a straight ass old time 2.0 usb for reliable code updates. Nothin' fancy.

#7572 5 years ago

Code Update:
I've only played maybe 2-3 games since the "Official" code update released on the AP website.
How's everyone doing with it?
I didn't have any issues with the games I played.
As far as wanted features:
I'd like to be able to press START and restart a game if on the second ball like the Bally/Williams/Sterns do.

#7573 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

like to be able to press START and restart a game if on the second ball like the Bally/Williams/Sterns

You need to enable it in settings

#7574 5 years ago

Had a slight bug tonight.

After a 6 ball multiball, i went into bullet catch.

The ball failed to eject out of the scoop.

When the mode ended/timed out, the ball finally ejected back into play.

Odd behavior I haven't ever seen before.

#7575 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Code Update:
I've only played maybe 2-3 games since the "Official" code update released on the AP website.
How's everyone doing with it?

I can confirm the game no longer reboots at the start of master magician. The screen is blank during parts of that mode, and I don't know if this is intentional or not. I'd prefer to have something up there, anything but a black screen.

Down to the reveals... at this point my next pin is likely to be either Munsters or Oktoberfest.

#7576 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Had a slight bug tonight.

had the same problem while starting bullet catch, but first after the update.

BTW: As a european customer I still waiting for the powersupplyfix Hope they will find a commitment with the european distributors.

#7577 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I meant to ask Barryj that question multiple times at Pincinnati but we were always talking Ocktoberfest and I forgot. Based on the color I think they are actually the Perfect Play ones from Pinball Life: https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-silicone-flipper-rubber-standard-size.html
I have purple ones from Titan on my MM and their purple is much darker, which happens to match MM extremely well but is too dark for Houdini's purples.

Product ID: PBL-700-0001-00-XX
PerfectPlay­ Silicone Flipper Rubber - Standard Size

#7578 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Hope they will find a commitment with the european distributors.

Barry told me yesterday that they are finalizing the plan to get them there.

Quoted from MMP:

The screen is blank during parts of that mode

Should not be, thought I had solved that, I guess not.

Scoop or the upper catapult? Meaning had you just started it at the stage, and did not get a ball or had you started it and made the inner loop shot?

What did you have stacked in the multiball?

#7579 5 years ago

Happy Holidays to American Pinball.
Kudo's to Barry and Rosh working on Friday!, and the whole American Pinball team at the factory.
Have a Great Holiday to All Houdini owners!

#7580 5 years ago

My up post that diverts into the vuk came out onto the playfield and now I can’t get it to go Back in correctly. It still sticks out a bit above the playfield. I have the tapered end down. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks.

482B7953-DD45-48F2-86F4-DE5E29490497 (resized).jpeg482B7953-DD45-48F2-86F4-DE5E29490497 (resized).jpeg
#7581 5 years ago
Quoted from jacobrogers:

My up post that diverts into the vuk came out onto the playfield and now I can’t get it to go Back in correctly. It still sticks out a bit above the playfield. I have the tapered end down. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks.
[quoted image]

Take the balls out of the game (there is a utility for this), put in the art protectors if you have side art, put some rags or padding over the edge of the top of the backbox. Then lift that playfield up, lean it against the backbox and get in there and find out what came apart. You're not going to be able to fix this from the top side.

EDIT: You might want to reference the drawing for that assembly in the service manual: http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2018-10/AP_Houdini-Service-Manual_091018.pdf

#7582 5 years ago
Quoted from jacobrogers:

[quoted image]

That up post is just held in with pressure - there's no set screw or anything holding it in. You need to take that up kicker assembly off and then hammer it back down into the metal bottom part.

#7583 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Scoop or the upper catapult? Meaning had you just started it at the stage, and did not get a ball or had you started it and made the inner loop shot?

What did you have stacked in the multiball?

Scoop.

Just finished seance mb, stacked with trunk mb.

After the mb session ended the stage door re-opened as bullet catch was queued up before the seance.

I made the stage after a couple attempts.

Door closed, ball did not eject out of the scoop.

I shook the game a bit got 2 tilt warnings, in case the ball was stuck in the subway.

Since there was no ball, I waited for the mode to time out.

As soon as the mode timed out the ball ejected from the scoop and I continued the game with no other errors.

I will take a look at the scoop switch and trough switches tonight to see if something can be tightened up or adjusted.

Its possible that its a misaligned opto or maladjusted switch.

But since the game did not go into ball search, Im inclined to think of it as software related.

#7584 5 years ago

Looking for clarification on Master Magician mode...Do the Houdini letters present in the rings indicate that I have successfully completed those MM mode tasks? Meaning, I only have seance and trunk left to finish to win the MM mode? Or am I misinterpreting this? Thanks for any help. @rosh.

20181222_133505 (resized).jpg20181222_133505 (resized).jpg
#7585 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Looking for clarification on Master Magician mode...Do the Houdini letters present in the rings indicate that I have successfully completed those MM mode tasks? Meaning, I only have seance and trunk left to finish to win the MM mode? Or am I misinterpreting this? Thanks for any help. rosh.
[quoted image]

correct, you did not complete spelling of seance (hit each letter three times, in order) and the necessary shots to the trunk.

#7586 5 years ago

I just picked up Houdini last weekend and everyone who plays it is enjoying it. it is a game with ~ 500 plays. it appears that in the stats a date range can be set. I would like to start keeping stats from now forward. how does one do that?

EDIT:
Oops, I figured it out, in utilities "reset audits"

#7587 5 years ago

Well done on the new code! I love how everything has beef spedd up. Aspecially after you loose a ball to skip the final screen. This game just keeps getting better and better.

#7588 5 years ago

Houdini’s in stock at Abel Electronics in St. Clair shores MI. Also on freeplay.

#7589 5 years ago

Does anyone else get tons of airballs? I have balls hop over the flipper bats and even the inlane plastics for unwelcome drains. Although when the ball jumps into the lower catapult I get a cheap ball locked, I'd rather play it clean. most irritating is when the ball hops up on the right side and gets trapped behind the planchette. does that happen to others?

#7590 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Does anyone else get tons of airballs? I have balls hop over the flipper bats and even the inlane plastics for unwelcome drains. Although when the ball jumps into the lower catapult I get a cheap ball locked, I'd rather play it clean. most irritating is when the ball hops up on the right side and gets trapped behind the planchette. does that happen to others?

Flippers need to be turned down in the coil adjustment. You’ll have to fiddle with it until you get it where you want it. Mine are at 22 and I have very few air balls.

#7591 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Take the balls out of the game (there is a utility for this), put in the art protectors if you have side art, put some rags or padding over the edge of the top of the backbox. Then lift that playfield up, lean it against the backbox and get in there and find out what came apart. You're not going to be able to fix this from the top side.
EDIT: You might want to reference the drawing for that assembly in the service manual: http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2018-10/AP_Houdini-Service-Manual_091018.pdf

What do you use to protect the side art? I worry about damaging it when I open things up.

#7592 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

What do you use to protect the side art? I worry about damaging it when I open things up.

Here you go: https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

#7594 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Flippers need to be turned down in the coil adjustment. You’ll have to fiddle with it until you get it where you want it. Mine are at 22 and I have very few air balls.

What pitch are you at? I am at 6.5 and at times I have balls roll back down the ramp entrance. I do have more air balls just didnt want to back off coils.

#7596 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

What pitch are you at? I am at 6.5 and at times I have balls roll back down the ramp entrance. I do have more air balls just didnt want to back off coils.

Set pitch to slightly less than 6.2

Set flippers to 23 both left and right.

It will be slightly harder to make the ramp but it's very doable.

As you get into it search this thread for my other tweaks if you want.

You are gonna love this game!

I felt as you at first about pitch and flipper power.

However after hundreds of plays, I have adjusted my thinking about how it should play.

#7597 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

These are awesome and a must.

excellent protectors! my Congo doesn't have side art but the inside left of the cabinet was horribly gouged up. It turns out that a corner the coil bracket of the upper flipper stuck out a bit. 20 seconds with a grinder corrected that problem.

Quoted from zahner:

mine were set at 24/25 I dialed it down to 22 on each seemed better, now problem hitting any lanes (I got 245 needles champ) but still a few air shots. I checked my home voltage, 124 volts which is high. I might dial the flipper coils down a bit more.

#7598 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

excellent protectors! my Congo doesn't have side art but the inside left of the cabinet was horribly gouged up. It turns out that a corner the coil bracket of the upper flipper stuck out a bit. 20 seconds with a grinder corrected that problem.

mine were set at 24/25 I dialed it down to 22 on each seemed better, now problem hitting any lanes (I got 245 needles champ) but still a few air shots. I checked my home voltage, 124 volts which is high. I might dial the flipper coils down a bit more.

Seance targets are close to the flippers.

So a high speed rebound will usually get airborne or once in awhile collapse a flipper or fly over it.

Even at 21 or 22 setting.

Its just the magic of the game lol.

#7599 5 years ago

Set pitch to slightly less than 6.2
Set flippers to 23 both left and right.
It will be slightly harder to make the ramp but it's very doable.
As you get into it search this thread for my other tweaks if you want.
You are gonna love this game!

I can't measure 10ths of a degree but my Lufkin machinists protractor says a tad more than 6 degrees

I set flippers to 21 and can still hit the ramp solid and I think the scoop and milkcan are easier now

I really do love this game already

#7600 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I can't measure 10ths of a degree but my Lufkin machinists protractor says a tad more than 6 degrees
I set flippers to 21 and can still hit the ramp solid and I think the scoop and milkcan are easier now
I really do love this game already

Get a couple level apps for your phone.

They work really well in a pinch.

I say get a couple because some are way off.

10ths of a degree make a huge difference in over all gameplay if you are dialling in a game properly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!
Plastics
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements
Pinball Machine
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation
Rubber/Silicone
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mclean, VA
$ 49.99
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,809 posts in this topic. You are on page 152 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/152 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.