New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 183206)

American Pinball Houdini thread

By lllvjr

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11,623 posts
  • 626 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 minutes ago by pinballinreno
  • Topic is favorited by 164 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,526 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3C4F6350-CE79-4AFF-9579-2B1FA0208605 (resized).jpeg
image (3) (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
658A843B-EC4C-4436-98B0-10C01EA56B0A (resized).jpeg
8564D511-B0C1-4B8E-88FD-09D96DEB38CD (resized).jpeg
IMG_1697.JPG
CCC46D76-4709-46C7-869F-2439297EBC6C (resized).jpeg
PXL_20201002_135917522.jpg
DSC_5311 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 8.32.15 AM (resized).png
51346126-CFF4-4905-B598-2B9356BC7BE9 (resized).jpeg
E94F6B01-D6A7-4F3C-96F6-9011E5802E53 (resized).jpeg
A83368D1-8F23-4D5B-A660-3D68AF5D582E (resized).jpeg
CD982BF7-7C2C-48E8-B5E0-5729F67B6FC2 (resized).jpeg
7C077BFF-913D-475C-8FCF-A689E238D043 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11623 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 233.
#701 3 years ago

Any update as to whether or not Houdini will be at CAX (California Extreme in San Jose, Calif) in 2 weeks?

#702 3 years ago

Talking with Joe Balcer the other day and they have nothing on the schedule until October for Pinball Expo. They want to concentrate on building games. Every show takes resources away from that goal.
The good news is a small run of production games should be hitting the streets before Expo so folks will have a chance to see and play in the wild.
Contact me to reserve yours now

Larry@flipnoutpinball.com

#703 3 years ago

When I played this at Allentown I thought it was a blast. Really great job on the artwork, playfield and layout. I'm thinking about getting this once they are produced.

#704 3 years ago

Fun game! Never get tired of seeing that ball fly through the air!

#705 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Joe do you know where some of the locations will be at this point? I'd love to put some quarters into this game actually on location

I'm working on one not too terribly far from you... Stay tuned for info... email me if you'd like to get on our mailing list for info. Sales@PinballSTAR.com

#706 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Fun game! Never get tired of seeing that ball fly through the air!

And unlike Aerosmith, they seem to have pretty tight software compensation for misses that adjusts the power dynamically. There aren't a lot a misses, despite it being a much longer launch.

#707 3 years ago

Maybe I missed it...is there any news about an European distributor?
Would it be some lighting improvements in the center of the playfield?
Would it be a miracle (or magical effect) there is a second ramp?
Thanks

#708 3 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Would it be some lighting improvements in the center of the playfield?

Last I heard they were putting themed theatrical-looking spotlights on it to illuminate the mid-playfield more.

#709 3 years ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

Talking with Joe Balcer the other day and they have nothing on the schedule until October for Pinball Expo. They want to concentrate on building games. Every show takes resources away from that goal.
The good news is a small run of production games should be hitting the streets before Expo so folks will have a chance to see and play in the wild.

Nitro will have one at Vancouver FlipOut Sep 22-24 along with Joe Balcer & Jolly Backer to answer any questions. Let us know if you want on the "interested list" for Canada & Washington State. No deposit required. tommy@nitropinball.com

#710 3 years ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

If they really are skipping California Extreme, that's a mistake. It's a huge show. Immense upside for West Coast exposure.

#711 3 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFreak:

Nitro will have one at Vancouver FlipOut Sep 22-24 along with Joe Balcer & Jolly Backer to answer any questions. Let us know if you want on the "interested list" for Canada & Washington State. No deposit required. tommy@nitropinball.com

Thank you - looking forward to Flipout and SO looking forward to Houdini becoming available!

Enjoyed every game I played on it at the NW Show - it looks creative as well as beautiful; the gameplay is both challenging & fun; its theme is historically cool and artistically outstanding; AND it has a ruleset that already delivers on a high level with much more expected to come!

#712 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

I'm working on one not too terribly far from you... Stay tuned for info... email me if you'd like to get on our mailing list for info. Sales@PinballSTAR.com

Already done

#713 3 years ago

gee, go away on vacation and the thread gets busy. Been gone for 11 days, and today was my first day back in the office. Walked into my office and it went from having one Houdini machine when I left, to now three, crammed in. They were getting the line set up when ownership decided to re-do the floors in the factory since they were looking pretty beat up, and it was either do it now or, well, never, so they had to clear out half the floor at a time so all available space was used to store stuff and some was just loaded on trucks and parked. Was good for me to not be around while they ground down the floors, patched them up and put on a new finish. Heard it was pretty nasty. Certainly looks a lot better as you can see. As soon as that is done they can start setting the line back up.

floor_before (resized).png

floor_after (resized).png

Quoted from vireland:

Last I heard they were putting themed theatrical-looking spotlights on it to illuminate the mid-playfield more.

Also upon my return, were the first prototypes of the 'spotlights' we will use to help light up the playfield. These will go through plenty of changes, but I'm pretty pleased with how this first iteration came out.

spotlight-1 (resized).png

spotlight-2 (resized).png

A few other tidbits . . .

Code continues to progress, now at 64.37% I did code up most of the video mode while I was on vacation Soon I will have to shift gears from working on 'game play' to 'infrastructure', things like coinage/pricing support, code updating, and audits so we can put machines out on test.

We have been expanding staff and that will continue.

We have still not set up distribution outside North America, but it is being worked on.

As far as some of the shows. We had to slow down on that for a couple of months, it is very hard to make progress when we are flying all over, and when you throw in vacations, there would have been just too much time away at a time that it is critical for us to be moving things forward. We have also reached a point where the prototype games are different enough from the various revisions of the physical machine that code is not going to be compatible much longer.

#714 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

gee, go away on vacation and the thread gets busy. Been gone for 11 days, and today was my first day back in the office. Walked into my office and it went from having one Houdini machine when I left, to now three, crammed in. They were getting the line set up when ownership decided to re-do the floors in the factory since they were looking pretty beat up, and it was either do it now or, well, never, so they had to clear out half the floor at a time so all available space was used to store stuff and some was just loaded on trucks and parked. Was good for me to not be around while they ground down the floors, patched them up and put on a new finish. Heard it was pretty nasty. Certainly looks a lot better as you can see. As soon as that is done they can start setting the line back up.

Also upon my return, were the first prototypes of the 'spotlights' we will use to help light up the playfield. These will go through plenty of changes, but I'm pretty pleased with how this first iteration came out.

A few other tidbits . . .
Code continues to progress, now at 64.37% I did code up most of the video mode while I was on vacation Soon I will have to shift gears from working on 'game play' to 'infrastructure', things like coinage/pricing support, code updating, and audits so we can put machines out on test.
We have been expanding staff and that will continue.
We have still not set up distribution outside North America, but it is being worked on.
As far as some of the shows. We had to slow down on that for a couple of months, it is very hard to make progress when we are flying all over, and when you throw in vacations, there would have been just too much time away at a time that it is critical for us to be moving things forward. We have also reached a point where the prototype games are different enough from the various revisions of the physical machine that code is not going to be compatible much longer.

That last bit is particularly exciting!!

#715 3 years ago

Spotlights look awesome. Much better than your typical bulb with a hood.

#716 3 years ago

rosh do you know if Australian distributor talks have progressed. Will we end up with one or have to order direct?

Looking really great from what I've seen so far. Quite a few people interested in getting them down under.

#717 3 years ago

rosh Any chance you and Joe can bring a game to the Houston Arcade Expo Oct 20-21st? www.arcadecenter.com

#718 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

rosh Any chance you and Joe can bring a game to the Houston Arcade Expo Oct 20-21st? http://www.arcadecenter.com

So mamy shows!
Same weekend as pinball madness in banning CA. Would love to see it there, by then it will be close to shipping.

#719 3 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

do you know if Australian distributor talks have progressed. Will we end up with one or have to order direct?

Have not gotten an update, but our plan is to have a distributor in that part of the world. I hope that by expo we will have this figured out.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Any chance you and Joe can bring a game to the Houston Arcade Expo Oct 20-21st?

I know Joe has mentioned he would like to get to that show. We are starting to look at the fall schedule, only thing for certain right now is Expo. As we get test machines out to distributors that will make it easier to have Houdini at more shows. Probably more likely Joe can get to some shows in the fall than I can, they barely let me leave the office to go home at night (and that is only because they know I will still be coding when I get home), leaving the State, not sure they will let me do that for awhile

67.23%

#720 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I did code up most of the video mode while I was on vacation

That's the spirit!
When i am on vacation i only DRINK spirits..
That is also reason why the minion pinball only runs on 37.83% code.

#721 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

That is also reason why the minion pinball only runs on 37.83% code.

Minions was far more about the journey, then the level of code completion, and always will be. One of the joys of doing a one off, the only guys you need to please are the three amigos.

#722 3 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

There aren't a lot a misses, despite it being a much longer launch.

Well I played a few games at Pinfest and loved it, so they can launch a game right into my line up.

#723 3 years ago

Glad you like it, but its so early the software simply isn't ready yet for some of these over-the-top statements. Lots of shots do nothing, same music, missing sfx. No way this will survive a Home setting in it's current state--it would get old in less than a week.

With that said, the potential is definitely there and the indie theme rocks. Code could catapult this from boutique little nothing company into JJP territory (IF they work on software diligently enough). Always be thinking, "what would Houdini" say if the ball did this, or that. Hope they are listening!

#724 3 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Glad you like it, but its so early the software simply isn't ready yet for some of these over-the-top statements. Lots of shots do nothing, same music, missing sfx. No way this will survive a Home setting in it's current state--it would get old in less than a week.
With that said, the potential is definitely there and the indie theme rocks. Code could catapult this from boutique little nothing company into JJP territory (IF they work on software diligently enough). Always be thinking, "what would Houdini" say if the ball did this, or that. Hope they are listening!

Boutique little nothing company? You obviously do not know what you are speaking of.

#725 3 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Boutique little nothing company? You obviously do not know what you are speaking of.

I don't think he meant that as an insult; they are not a major manufacturer - they have not yet shipped the game; they are little. They are boutique. But man what a boatload of talent!!

1 week later
#726 3 years ago

Anybody hear anything new? Are they going to be shipping in fall as expected?

#727 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Anybody hear anything new? Are they going to be shipping in fall as expected?

In the last couple days I have chatted with a couple people at American Pinball and I was told that they have just finished up the game and should be shipping in October.

#728 3 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

In the last couple days I have chatted with a couple people at American Pinball and I was told that they have just finished up the game and should be shipping in October.

That is too awesome. Anybody know how many games they (or say JJP for comparison) make in a week? This will be my first potential NIB and I'm curious how fast they tend to come once you pay in full

#729 3 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Most impressive!

#730 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That is too awesome. Anybody know how many games they (or say JJP for comparison) make in a week? This will be my first potential NIB and I'm curious how fast they tend to come once you pay in full

IMO there is no hurry. I hope for quality sake its 5 games a week. The games are coming, they will be made. Let them finish code, work out the bugs and ship solid machines with no problems. Quality or quantity anyday.

#731 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

IMO there is no hurry. I hope for quality sake its 5 games a week. The games are coming, they will be made. Let them finish code, work out the bugs and ship solid machines with no problems. Quality or quantity anyday.

Fully agree, I was just curious since all the different manufacturers seem to have different weekly output numbers. Not fair to compare with Stern but it will be fascinating what happens

1 week later
#732 3 years ago

Got word they are done, shipping real machines in October. Still amazed by this whole story

#733 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Got word they are done, shipping real machines in October. Still amazed by this whole story

Got word? Or you read what Mattelder posted to you 9 days ago on this thread? Did he also share the production volume schedule? Give them time, the game is looking Amazing so far. False or assumed expectations are how things get off the track.

#734 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Got word? Or you read what Mattelder posted to you 9 days ago on this thread? Did he also share the production volume schedule? Give them time, the game is looking Amazing so far. False or assumed expectations are how things get off the track.

Huh? Wtf dude

#735 3 years ago

I can say, I'm really excited about this game. I played it many times at Pin-a-go-go (California).

I would (and will) buy this NIB, before another Stern NIB. Just sayin.

#736 3 years ago

Yep production is underway.
Contact me if you would like to order a Houdini.
Taking orders now

#737 3 years ago

Great news.

#738 3 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I can say, I'm really excited about this game. I played it many times at Pin-a-go-go (California).
I would (and will) buy this NIB, before another Stern NIB. Just sayin.

Im going to have to agree with Kerry.
Not only is it a georgous game, but it plays very well. My only NIB game this year.
Hope to have it for seance night on Halloween, nice tribute to Houdini.

#739 3 years ago

I was in Las Vegas last week. I went into New York New York and they had a Houdini store there.

They had some really cool posters, and a half a dozen of authentic items locked in a glass display he used / wore (hand cuffs / large steel ball w/ shackle for leg / one old shoe and ankle lock that looked mid-eveil).

#740 3 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I was in Las Vegas last week. I went into New York New York and they had a Houdini store there.
They had some really cool posters, and a half a dozen of authentic items locked in a glass display he used / wore (hand cuffs / large steel ball w/ shackle for leg / one old shoe and ankle lock that looked mid-eveil).

Houdini collectables is a whole thing!
Couple auctions Ive monitored in past stuff went for crazy prices. The problem is provenance. How does one really know. The master himself actually didnt keep good records or have good biographer keeping track. His wife ran so much and didnt have time. Ive been into magic and the industry since i was 10. 40 years now. Im in entertaimment by trade and have the pleasure to work for many big names. Also got to see secrete Copperfield collection once. So cool, he spends big bucks and has an agent for before mentioned auctions.

#741 3 years ago

I'm excited for this one. I want to play it a little more before ordering but pretty sure it'll find a home here sometime next year.

#742 3 years ago

Eric... agreed prices are insane!

There were a couple items in the case at $5k to $6,500. They did have a certificate of authenticity. But I would still be leery.

#743 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Quoted from hassellcastle:

Yep production is underway.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Anybody know how many games they (or say JJP for comparison) make in a week?

Hope to have it for seance night on Halloween, nice tribute to Houdini.

Done is a relative word and can mean lots of things. I can assure you the code is not done (if it was, I would not be sitting at my computer on a such a beautiful day), and we did have to make some minor changes, to meet the BOM target, and there are other minor things being worked through, but none of that is on the critical path to production, at least not yet.

I would not call it accurate to say production is underway, at least not by my definition, which is machines are being assembled and rolling off the line. If your definition is that parts are being ordered and/or made, well, then yes, underway.

We are still on track for games going out the door by end of year, which is what we have always said was our goal. However, if I was a betting man, which I am, I would bet we will see some games on location before the anniversary of Houdini's death (Halloween). Keep in mind there are hundreds if not thousands of things that need to come together, so there are plenty of opportunities for bumps in the road that could cause delays. However, we have a very experienced team (well, other than me) and they are very much on top of every little detail. I do remain optimistic that there will be a decent number of Houdini's home for the holidays.

quality over quantity -- absolutely and that is why you have never heard us ever say X per day or even give a specific date games will ship. We need to crawl before we can walk, and walk before we can run.

Oh, for you international guys, last week they were installing 220 volt lines/sockets in the final testing area, so, take that for what it is worth. Lots still to get into place before we will be ready for international, but, at least you know we are making plans.

#744 3 years ago

Thanks for the update Josh- we are all very excited obviously - really looking forward to this, whenever it is that all the moving pieces (pun intended!) come together. You guys have done an extraordinary job and made a -whodathunkit - very fun game!

#745 3 years ago

I hope whatever was changed to meet the BOM was behind the scenes. I would hate for anything to be taken out of the game.

#746 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Done is a relative word and can mean lots of things. I can assure you the code is not done (if it was, I would not be sitting at my computer on a such a beautiful day), and we did have to make some minor changes, to meet the BOM target,

So you had to dump the catapult huh? Oh well.

#747 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Cab is now Cardboard.

#748 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Boy, wouldn't that suck!

#749 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Boy, wouldn't that suck!

It's called a deal breaker.

#750 3 years ago

Thanks for update Rosh.
I do hope catapult stays.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Oakville, MO
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 11623 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 233.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside