20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 149 of 297.
#7401 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

I also increased the coil settings first, but the coilstrength has changed significantly during each ball.
And I don't want to adjust the coils every 5 minutes...

Got it, no that obviously wouldn't work..

Have you heard at all why there's no European-voltage solution for this?

#7402 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Got it, no that obviously wouldn't work..
Have you heard at all why there's no European-voltage solution for this?

Rdoyle is right...the variac just compensates at that moment in time when you set it. If anything changes after that, all bets are off if your line voltage is not very stable.

#7403 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

I also increased the coil settings first, but the coilstrength has changed significantly during each ball.
And I don't want to adjust the coils every 5 minutes...

I have had this exact scenario happen.

Power goes low, Houdini plays like crap, other games are ok but not exactly sprightly. Adjust settings on Houdini.

Power goes back up, Houdini plays better but now all the coils are screwed up from prior tweaking, other games are playing better.

Call Barry ASAP. There is a suitable power supply to add on. Barry would know which is the best one, You will have to order it and install it. Dont expect it to be cheap, it will be at least $200 plus shipping.

API can send you the harness to make it easier to install.

Adding in the power supply upgrade has solved nearly all of my power problems. The game plays great and consistent.
It was very much worth the trouble and expense to get it.

The next thing we need is more power to the flippers.

Adding 20v in series to the flipper circuit will solve all of the left over power problems, no more flippers collapsing during 6 ball multiballs.

Im very close to a solution.

Added over 5 years ago:

Or a separate 70v supply for the flipper circuit.

#7404 5 years ago

Houdini has it's own powerline + variac.
The other games played perfect.
So i think it's ll about the powersupply.

@ piballinreno: i hope you will find a solution for extra 20v.

I contacted my distro yesterday hope they can delivery me a fix due to the european warranty (2 years) and it should cost me nothing... Will see what happens.

Man i love this game and want to enjoy it and make some promotion for AP so that more people can play these games and support AP.

Hope Houdini turns out great with a New powersupply.

#7405 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Check the assembly that the balls queue up in before the scoop. The one here pulled away from the playfield, which mis-aligned the optos and created what we called "surprise multiball" very often until I figured it out.

Thanks for the ideas. Turned out to be the switch in the scoop needed adjustment.

#7406 5 years ago

On my last ball, I got 7 Houdini letters and heard the new stadium chant "Hoo-dee-nee!!" But before I could start the mode, my movie binge started. I heard the chant all through that mode, and then lost the ball and game over. Apparently you can't start MM mode while in MB mode, which makes sense. Anyway, it was fun and I got high score 2.

#7407 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

On my last ball, I got 7 Houdini letters and heard the new stadium chant "Hoo-dee-nee!!" But before I could start the mode, my movie binge started. I heard the chant all through that mode, and then lost the ball and game over. Apparently you can't start MM mode while in MB mode, which makes sense. Anyway, it was fun and I got high score 2.

I had the chant thing once. It finished up with the delivery of an encore bonus. It seemed it was separate from any other mode. As I recall, it was chanting, the computation of a bonus, and that was it. Had some graphic associated with it, thinking it might’ve been Houdini standing next to a breakdown of the bonus, but I’m not sure. Never happened before, never happened since. I meant to look it up in the manual, but never got to it. Liked it because the bonus was huge.

#7408 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I had the chant thing once. It finished up with the delivery of an encore bonus. It seemed it was separate from any other mode. As I recall, it was chanting, the computation of a bonus, and that was it. Had some graphic associated with it, thinking it might’ve been Houdini standing next to a breakdown of the bonus, but I’m not sure. Never happened before, never happened since. I meant to look it up in the manual, but never got to it. Liked it because the bonus was huge.

Hmmm. I just seemed to get the audio over normal game play. Still a lot of mysteries in this machine.

#7409 5 years ago

Sorry - I've been away for the last couple of weeks. Is houdini-gamecode_18.11.24T the most current version?

Getting ready to load it now...

Thanks.

#7410 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

a lot of mysteries in this machine

Of course, its Houdini!

#7411 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Of course, its Houdini!

I looked in the manual and found nothing.

Very mysterious indeed.

Maybe ROSH can solve this conundrum.

#7412 5 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

Is houdini-gamecode_18.11.24T the most current version?

That is the latest one posted by Josh in post 7278.

LTG : )

#7413 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

heard the new stadium chant "Hoo-dee-nee!!"

The Houdini chant is being added in this new release that some of you are testing. When you hear it, it means you have performed all 10 stage acts, and a shot back into the stage will award you the 'encore bonus'. The bonus was introduced in the last main release, this just gives it the pomp and circumstance it deserves.

#7414 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The Houdini chant is being added in this new release that some of you are testing. When you hear it, it means you have performed all 10 stage acts, and a shot back into the stage will award you the 'encore bonus'. The bonus was introduced in the last main release, this just gives it the pomp and circumstance it deserves.

I get excited when I make 3 stage acts so I guess It'll be a long time before I hear any chanting. That's one of the reasons I like Houdini for the home - I won't run out of new stuff to complete for ages and ages.

#7415 5 years ago

Anyone else having trouble on the AP website? When I click on the update code my PC freezes and I have to turn off the PC with the start button.

#7416 5 years ago

Epic game of 5 ball last night. I had my wife photograph when the score started going crazy (Yes the glass was on)....anyone notice anything missing? Or is this a known thing? I have never come close to a score like this, so I think I am liking the new code...lol

Score (resized).jpgScore (resized).jpg

#7417 5 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Epic game of 5 ball last night. I had my wife photograph when the score started going crazy (Yes the glass was on)....anyone notice anything missing? Or is this a known thing? I have never come close to a score like this, so I think I am liking the new code...lol
[quoted image]

I see it. Looks like the display ate your eight.

#7418 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

I see it. Looks like the display ate your eight.

And one decimal place...
15 million? Really? Congrats! And it looks like only ball 3 was in play.

I guess the game wasn't designed to properly show over 9,999,999 in the BIG numbers with the old skool ratchet wheels. lol

#7419 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

And one decimal place...
15 million? Really? Congrats! And it looks like only ball 3 was in play.
I guess the game wasn't designed to properly show over 9,999,999 in the BIG numbers with the old skool ratchet wheels. lol

And I am not really sure how I got there to tell you the truth. I got to the movie binge mode and the scoring just took off. I think I played ball 2 for like 40 minutes. For the record, balls 4 and 5 lasted less than 5 minutes each. I never got to the part where the game ended though...I'm sure there were things I still needed to do.

#7420 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I'm testing the latest code this weekend, now that I have a machine at home. Code is almost ready to release, but since a lot of you have a long weekend and black friday sales to avoid, if anyone wants to help test, and you know how to update the code on the machine, you can use the link below. There is quite bit that has been added and fixed since the September beta release, which is why there has been the delay in this release. Let me know if you run into issues.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PvxDRQ7No1HiiLKVbr3IjdnlSnmIBuw4

Added 12 days ago: updated link . . .
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_4TxAu8njGnDB1UinatWG_SR80iC3hTT

Is there a newer beta than 181124T that fixes the 5 ball issues?

#7421 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I've been watching for it but haven't seen anything newer yet. PinMonk

#7422 5 years ago

I haven't seen a poll on this yet, so what the heck... What are your top 3 favorite Houdini stage modes to play. Not the easiest, or most challenging or highest scoring, but the ones you are most psyched to play and enjoy playing. They are so different, this should be interesting...
Just to refresh memories, alphabetically, the list is...

Bullet Catch
Card Scaling video mode
Chinese Water Torture Cell
Handcuff Escape
Indian Needle Swallow
Metamorphosis
Milkcan't Escape (sorry... couldn't resist)
Straight Jacket Escape
Vanishing Elephant
Walk Through Walls
11th secret stage mode (just kidding about that...or am I?)

crop (resized).pngcrop (resized).png
#7423 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I haven't seen a poll on this yet, so what the heck... What are your top 3 favorite Houdini stage modes to play. Not the easiest, or most challenging or highest scoring, but the ones you are most psyched to play and enjoy playing. They are so different, this should be interesting...
Bullet Catch
Card Scaling video mode
Handcuff Escape
Indian Needle Swallow
Metamorphosis
Straight Jacket Escape
Vanishing Elephant
Walk Through Walls
11th secret stage mode (just kidding about that...or am I?)[quoted image]

Card Scaling video mode is King of Cards. My #1 go-to mode to grab an easy extra ball right off the bat.

#7424 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Bullet Catch
Card Scaling video mode
Handcuff Escape
Indian Needle Swallow
Metamorphosis
Straight Jacket Escape
Vanishing Elephant
Walk Through Walls

1. King Of Cards
2. Indian Needle Trick
3. The Secret 11th Stage Mode

I seem to have the toughest time w/ The Vanishing Elephant...

#7425 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Bullet Catch
Card Scaling video mode
Handcuff Escape
Indian Needle Swallow
Metamorphosis
Straight Jacket Escape
Vanishing Elephant
Walk Through Walls

1. With the addition of the knocker, by far the bullet catch for me

2. Straight jacket

3. Indian needle - especially when stacked with a multi-ball

#7426 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

1. With the addition of the knocker, by far the bullet catch for me
2. Straight jacket
3. Indian needle - especially when stacked with a multi-ball

Ditto!

#7427 5 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

anything missing?

At some point I'll at least make the commas move to the right place. As you can see, the full score is captured above.

Nice game. Movie Binge can be very valuable if you did well on the movie modes, especially if you then 'complete' them in the binge in the optimal order, or you are able to keep as many balls in play as long as possible to collect those scores multiple times. What I mean by optimal, since balls in play act as a multiplier, ideally you want to first collect the lowest scored movie, when you have just one ball in play, then when that gives you a ball, you now want to go for the next higher and then work your way up so you have the max multiplier when collecting the highest scored movie. Then once you complete them all, then go the opposite way, focus on the highest scoring while you still have as many balls as you can. Second time through it is six shots vs three the first time to collect that score with the multiplier. It only adds a ball the first time you collect a movie's binge bonus.

Scoring for the binge might be too high, relative to competition play, where focusing on getting through the five movies to get to the binge, might be too easy a path to really high scores. Might just need to make it harder to collect those binge bonuses a second time.

#7428 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Not that has been made available. I've been testing some final changes.

#7429 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

im still losing balls due to inconsistant scoop eject when starting some stage acts.
Seems to be no ball save or a very short one on some of them.

Also maybe a longer ball save for ending strait jacket escape on the last ball.
When it goes back to regular play from reversed flippers and after the mode ends, you should be able to drain the last ball and get another one served for 5-10 seconds.

#7430 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Definitely getting surprise 2 ball multiballs with the new code pretty consistently. I was playing a movie mode on one of them and when the first one drained, the mode ended, so that's a pretty good sign the second ball was a mistake.

#7431 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

What are your top 3 favorite Houdini stage modes to play.

1. Bullet catch (just love him saying “I will now catch a BULLET with my TEETH”...and it’s so satisfying to complete)
2. Straight jacket...just a lot of fun
3. Probably king of cards...nice change-up from straight pinball action

#7432 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

im still losing balls due to inconsistant scoop eject when starting some stage acts.
Seems to be no ball save or a very short one on some of them.
Also maybe a longer ball save for ending strait jacket escape on the last ball.
When it goes back to regular play from reversed flippers and after the mode ends, you should be able to drain the last ball and get another one served for 5-10 seconds.

check your settings to be sure the scoop save is enabled. I believe the save is 5 seconds. There is no save if you are in a multiball.

There is a ball save when the flippers reverts back, as well as an announcement and the change in music. I'll take a look at the length and assess making it a touch longer.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Definitely getting surprise 2 ball multiballs with the new code pretty consistently. I was playing a movie mode on one of them and when the first one drained, the mode ended, so that's a pretty good sign the second ball was a mistake.

I did find one issue that could be causing these, a state scenario combined with some opto/subway behavior, that never seems to happen on my office machine, but that I saw occur a couple of times at home. So, hopefully the fix takes care of this.

Quoted from wyopin:

Bullet catch (just love him saying “I will now catch a BULLET with my TEETH”...and it’s so satisfying to complete)

That is one of my favorite lines as well, not sure why. There really is no 'completing' of bullet catch (well, at some point some number of jackpots will lame it a win'), I guess the 'completing' is if you make that inner loop shot to load the gun and actually get to the two ball MB. Of course making that 'moving target shot' quickly is key for points, but even more so, is picking a good shot since both the inner loop and which ever shot locks in the value score jackpots. Worst thing you can do is lock in the value by shooting the inner loop. One time I though there was bug since I was getting some rapid fire of the knocker, then realized the key lane was the shot I hit to the lock in the value, so a shot that goes up through the key lane, and then back down through it will score two jackpots and well, two knocks. Great to stack with other MBs. Have not put a knocker in my home game yet, but likely will, just because of bullet catch.

#7433 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

At some point I'll at least make the commas move to the right place. As you can see, the full score is captured above.
Nice game. Movie Binge can be very valuable if you did well on the movie modes, especially if you then 'complete' them in the binge in the optimal order, or you are able to keep as many balls in play as long as possible to collect those scores multiple times. What I mean by optimal, since balls in play act as a multiplier, ideally you want to first collect the lowest scored movie, when you have just one ball in play, then when that gives you a ball, you now want to go for the next higher and then work your way up so you have the max multiplier when collecting the highest scored movie. Then once you complete them all, then go the opposite way, focus on the highest scoring while you still have as many balls as you can. Second time through it is six shots vs three the first time to collect that score with the multiplier. It only adds a ball the first time you collect a movie's binge bonus.
Scoring for the binge might be too high, relative to competition play, where focusing on getting through the five movies to get to the binge, might be too easy a path to really high scores. Might just need to make it harder to collect those binge bonuses a second time.

I do think the scoring there is really high. Things were happening so fast, I didn't understand all of the extra balls that were in play, so this makes a lot more sense. I was afraid is was some sort of error....lol

#7434 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Bullet Catch
Card Scaling video mode
Handcuff Escape
Indian Needle Swallow
Metamorphosis
Straight Jacket Escape
Vanishing Elephant
Walk Through Walls

If we add in my favs - Bullet catch, Needles and Metamorphosis (for its precision and because Bess gets to participate), we have Bullet, Needles and Straightjacket as the top 3 so far.

#7435 5 years ago

I like walk through walls because it's a good neutral mode where you don't have to blow a seance multiball if you have one ready. Use the second shot for milkcan combo attempts.

When I figured out you can just zap the ball up through the key lane entrance from the left flipper, Chinese water torture became a good one.

Hate king of cards because I still haven't memorized how to consistently hit the extra ball.

Milkcan is great because they give you plenty of time and the return is usually safe to take the next shot.

Elephant I hate because as soon as I'm in it I can never hit the damn ramp more than once. I try to go for the multiplier combo if I'm on right flipper.

Handcuff gave me my highest score (1.4 million) with 2x stage and multiball.

Needles never seems to get above 100k for a really good run.

Bullet catch I always blow it if I do get into the add a ball part.

Metamorphosis doesn't have a unique identity amongst the modes.

Straitjacket is a good gimme mode but I wouldn't pick it until I've gotten through a couple of my favorites. Plus, ye gotta go reverse/inverted every damn time right?

My main opener is to always get the damn scoop asap so I don't hit the first secret combo without opening it up. Then, milkcan into 1st combo attempts so I can get an easy 100k. Backhanding the scoop and milkcan are must-know tricks. Scoop is nearer to the inlane and milkcan is nearer to the tip. Backhanding inner loop is there but I don't have it dialed in. It's more near the middle. I'm also one of those dudes that goes for the 2x stage scoring every time I've got stage open from right flipper trap. Remembering to relight the lock and not just letting it sit is important. I'll hit it from left flipper straight up. You just have to get through to relight.

I wish there was a more pronounce ice clinking sound when you hit the stage at the beginning of man from beyond.

#7436 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

If we add in my favs

How I sort of bucket them based on situation and goals (some modes fit into more then one bucket)

If trying to complete stage acts quickly and easily (eg. the easiest modes) . . .
Walk through Walls
Chinese water torture
King of Cards (also a pretty easy extra ball)

For points:
straitjacket, reversed and inverted
bullet catch
milkcan escape

When I'm in the groove making all the shots:
Metamorphosis
Bullet Catch
Vanishing Elephant
Milkcan escape

When MB is lit and ready to stack:
Needles
Handcuff King
straitjacket
bullet catch

#7437 5 years ago

I have had to replace the switch on left lock 2, cause the ball was not triggering the switch. The new switch that is there now is however giving some other difficulties - on occasion it blocks the ball so that it does not get to left lock 3 (the lock in the bottom). How to "unstiff" the switch?

#7438 5 years ago

Is there anyway to adjust the height of the ball sitting in the stage? I think it sits too high and makes it harder for a ball to stay in the stage.

#7439 5 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

Handcuff gave me my highest score (1.4 million) with 2x stage and multiball.

1.4 million on handcuff? Unlike needles, bullet and straitjacket. There is a max score you can earn on Handcuff (e.g. after X cuffs are released, he is free and the mode ends), around 100K times multipliers, so with 2X stage and 4X playfield, you are looking around 800K.

Quoted from Nepi23:

I have had to replace the switch on left lock 2, cause the ball was not triggering the switch. The new switch that is there now is however giving some other difficulties - on occasion it blocks the ball so that it does not get to left lock 3 (the lock in the bottom). How to "unstiff" the switch?

Not all roll under switches are the same, there are at least two versions, one is stiffer than the other. We changed to the less tiff after the first few games went out (and those were replaced). So, possibly the wrong version. You can try to raise it up slightly with a leaf switch tool, but it is tricky to adjust and get it just right.

Quoted from pinden007:

Is there anyway to adjust the height of the ball sitting in the stage? I think it sits too high and makes it harder for a ball to stay in the stage.

Go into service menu and then to utilities and run the "stage calibration" and see if that makes it better.

#7440 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Not all roll under switches are the same, there are at least two versions, one is stiffer than the other. We changed to the less tiff after the first few games went out (and those were replaced). So, possibly the wrong version. You can try to raise it up slightly with a leaf switch tool, but it is tricky to adjust and get it just right.

That might be it then, will try to adjust it. Can you please give the proper part-number? I got info from this thread that it should be 180-5119-02.

Mine was this: 180-5119-00/02 and from https://www.free-play.se/en/playfield-parts/switches/group-1707858/microswitch-roll-180-5119-0002-5647-12693-06.html

#7441 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

How I sort of bucket them based on situation and goals (some modes fit into more then one bucket)
If trying to complete stage acts quickly and easily (eg. the easiest modes) . . .
Walk through Walls
Chinese water torture
King of Cards (also a pretty easy extra ball)

It feels to me like the King of Cards would be more interesting with a third set of rings so there's more activity on the screen, or at least the option to turn on a third row in the settings. Maybe a 10k, 25k, 50k? As it is now there's a lot of down time waiting for the 25k ring to come back on the screen until it really starts speeding up. I play this mode a LOT since it's my go-to for an extra ball and it's just kind of boring with the two slow rings that don't speed up until about halfway through the round.

Also, the ability to put english on the cards at launch by tapping the opposite flipper quickly (so it doesn't count as a charge boost and waste a card) would be a great way to up the skill of the mode and allow you to hit rings you maybe weren't quite charged enough to hit straight on in time.

Also an audio cue ("Hold flipper button longer then release to throw greater distances!") or something on-screen to tell novices what to do would help. I often see people just pressing the flipper buttons randomly wasting their cards because they don't understand how to charge the meters.

#7442 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It feels to me like the King of Cards would be more interesting with a third set of rings so there's more activity on the screen, or at least the option to turn on a third row in the settings. Maybe a 10k, 25k, 50k? As it is now there's a lot of down time waiting for the 25k ring to come back on the screen until it really starts speeding up. I play this mode a LOT since it's my go-to for an extra ball and it's just kind of boring with the two slow rings that don't speed up until about halfway through the round.
Also, the ability to put english on the cards at launch by tapping the opposite flipper quickly (so it doesn't count as a charge boost and waste a card) would be a great way to up the skill of the mode and allow you to hit rings you maybe weren't quite charged enough to hit straight on in time.

Ugh, I’m not good at this mode. Always just miss. I’d say I only average 100k. That and the center ramp, which for some reason becomes impossible during v-elephant mode -choke....

#7443 5 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

My main opener is to always get the damn scoop asap so I don't hit the first secret combo without opening it up. Then, milkcan into 1st combo attempts so I can get an easy 100k. Backhanding the scoop and milkcan are must-know tricks. Scoop is nearer to the inlane and milkcan is nearer to the tip. Backhanding inner loop is there but I don't have it dialed in. It's more near the middle. I'm also one of those dudes that goes for the 2x stage scoring every time I've got stage open from right flipper trap. Remembering to relight the lock and not just letting it sit is important. I'll hit it from left flipper straight up. You just have to get through to relight.
I wish there was a more pronounce ice clinking sound when you hit the stage at the beginning of man from beyond.

I always go for the scoop first also. I notice on stage alley shots that the opto doesn't always read the ball and relight the lock. Maybe 1 in 4 shots fails to register. Not sure if that is happening to anyone else...

#7444 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Ugh, I’m not good at this mode. Always just miss. I’d say I only average 100k. That and the center ramp, which for some reason becomes impossible during v-elephant mode -choke....

You're like half a year or more behind me in time on the machine. Concentrate on getting that mode every game to collect the extra ball and you'll get good at it. If you're doing 100k, you're not that far from an extra ball. If I barely make it, I usually get 130k.

#7445 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

When MB is lit and ready to stack:
Needles
Handcuff King
straitjacket
bullet catch

I hadn't thought of bullet catch as a good mode to stack multiball on because I really have to concentrate to make the shots, and 3-4 balls flying around seems to just get in my way. But I can see where it would help you catch one of the traveling shots early. I always save needles and handcuffs for the multiball opportunity, where they can do a lot of the work for you.

But strategy aside, I have a lot of fun with bullet catch (once I make the inner loop). On the opposite end of the spectrum, I want to murder that elephant. I can play a 3 million point game and only accumulate 6 ramp shots.

#7446 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I always go for the scoop first also. I notice on stage alley shots that the opto doesn't always read the ball and relight the lock. Maybe 1 in 4 shots fails to register. Not sure if that is happening to anyone else...

There are no optos in the stage alley for lighting the lock, just a good old fashioned roll-over switch. If yours isn't registering consistently you need to adjust the arm, most likely it is missing the ones that are tight to the right or left of the lane, mine had the same issue.

#7447 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I hadn't thought of bullet catch as a good mode to stack multiball on because I really have to concentrate to make the shots, and 3-4 balls flying around seems to just get in my way. But I can see where it would help you catch one of the traveling shots early. I always save needles and handcuffs for the multiball opportunity, where they can do a lot of the work for you.

Reason I like this stack is that you can start the MB, when you also load the gun, that does then give you multiple balls to more quickly make the 'moving shot' which then locks in the jackpot value, it also gives you more shots scoring jackpots, keep in mind a single jackpot, depending on when you lock it in, is going to be the equivalent of 15 to 30 switch hits, depending on switch value. You are more likely to extend the length of the multiball as well. Obviously it really helps if you can make the moving shot on one of the first few shots on the left side when the value is highest.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Also an audio cue ("Hold flipper button longer then release to throw greater distances!") or something on-screen to tell novices what to do would help. I often see people just pressing the flipper buttons randomly wasting their cards because they don't understand how to charge the meters.

There is an audio prompt that the beginning to hold longer to throw higher, but no doubt the first time someone plays they often have no clue what is going on. Might make sense to repeat that message if the first few throws are all very low. But I have found over the years, that is often the case on video modes, that the first few times through you are not really sure why to do. As far as play, I often try for a double, off the left side, on the first shot (both rings), since score double. I then look to throw from both hands at the smaller ring on both passes, hopefully scoring the smaller ring with both, which can also make it easier to score the extra ball, since the speed up does not occur until it changes direction. By double throwing (there is a slight offset when you release) I am only doing 6 passes of the rings.

As far as putting English on it, while it is a cool concept, I think it would be pretty complex both to implement and to use. I considered a third ring, but felt it would make understanding the meter more difficult. The colors down match the small, the large and then the combined, have a ring the combined color would make folks thing you can only make the ring when that color. However, I do a have a few ideas for it that I have not implemented, that maybe someday I'll add in.

#7448 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

That might be it then, will try to adjust it. Can you please give the proper part-number? I got info from this thread that it should be 180-5119-02.
Mine was this: 180-5119-00/02 and from https://www.free-play.se/en/playfield-parts/switches/group-1707858/microswitch-roll-180-5119-0002-5647-12693-06.html

Just looking at it, clearly that is not the right switch, based on how the actuator is mounted to it. Unfortunately often a parts seller will list something as a replacement, because it will fit, not necessarily that it performs the same. For example, you can the two different actuators on pinball life's site . . .

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-ball-detect-blade-with-roller-sub-microswitch.html
https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsegastern-ball-detect-blade-with-roller-sub-microswitch-180-5119-02.html

I know ours are genuine cherry switches, DB5 bases, but not sure if there is anything unique about the actuator. We have our own number of it, so, I can't really tell you what is exactly the same. I suggest you open a ticket, via our the support section on our website, and our service department can provide assistance.

#7449 5 years ago

Thanks again for the great technical support. The Houdini is back up and running. Just downloading the new software and looking forward to spending some time on it.

#7450 5 years ago

Just had an interesting behavior.

I tried to double flip out of the start animation of vanishing elephant.

Ball was in the stage, it disappeared, then ejected from the scoop, then an immediate shot to the ramp, then magic target.

A super long shaker sequence happened before the ball left the stage and continued until the ball ejected. There was a long pause before the ball ejected.

The shaker stuck on high speed for 10 or more seconds then stopped.

Then It continued working properly during the mode.

The game worked properly from then on, including a subsequent vanishing elephant mode later in the same game.

It was pretty loud and scary, but everything seems perfect.

No other instances of this. It's the first time it has happened.

I think it was an occurance of trying to do several things at once and the shaker was stuck on until it was refreshed from another software call to it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 149 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/149?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.