20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 146 of 297.
#7251 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

How do you test the shaker motor after installed? And when is it used?
Thanks.

After install, the Shaker must be turned on with an option under Standard settings in the menu. You can also adjust activity level there. The medium setting activates shaker during pop bumper action. The low setting eliminates this action. There are several situations in which the shaker fires, and it is fun to discover those on your own. My fav is when the jail doors slam shut.

#7252 5 years ago

One bug reported on new code will post a fix later today.

#7253 5 years ago

PinballSTAR Black Friday Discounts :

American Pinball / HOUDINI
$ 7,100 - Email [email protected] for Black Friday discount = ? with Art Blades NIB In Stock
Open show game $ 7,100 - $ 400 = $ 6,700 - Email [email protected] for Black Friday discount = ? with Art Blades In Stock

Email Joe at [email protected] !

#7254 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

One bug reported on new code will post a fix later today.

Do you guys ever sleep? Lol

Thanks for the really nice work, keep'em comming!

#7255 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Do you guys ever sleep? Lol
Thanks for the really nice work, keep'em comming!

Installed and no glitches for me yet. Scores are lower without the aid of random multi-ball modes and other glitches -damn...

#7256 5 years ago

Has anyone here bought the API Houdini topper? Just wondering how neato of a purchase it would be.

#7257 5 years ago

There is a link to updated code later in the thread . . .

#7258 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Has anyone here bought the API Houdini topper? Just wondering how neato of a purchase it would be.

Ive seen 3 different toppers now
There all nice, but none have tickled my fancy yet.

#7259 5 years ago

Rosh,
Just curious if this was the bug I found?
Also are the palms of Houdini's hands in the LCD attract mode now glowing or am I imagining it?

#7260 5 years ago

Downloaded, updated and installed!

Went perfectly without a hitch.

Really like the fast exit from the bonus tally screen at end of ball!

So far it seems ok, got a 4 ball seance, no other modes running, normal..? first game on the new code.

I hope there is a backup utility for scores and coil settings in the near future.

You never know when something will break and you want to reload you settings.

#7261 5 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Update: when in Trunk MB I had 2 balls left. I shot one off right flipper and it went into the magic hole, I used the left flipper to shoot the seance scoop because seance was lit and I wanted to bring that in. I suppose due to the subway it didn’t count and 2 balls were shot out of the scoop and play continued without seance. Not sure if any way to fix that so it notices or if it was just such perfect timing it didn’t count. Anyways, wanted to put it out there for you rosh.
I’ll try to log more stuff when I can. I’ve had a ball or too end prematurely due to a ball being released from the left post during play or after a trunk mb shot. Don’t have more specifics than that. Sorry!
Protip. Set up seance and trunk mb. Then use alleyway to start straight jacket mode with inverted for 4x jackpots and try to bring in both mb.... my score went
I truly love this game. If you think about what you’re doing and set things up you can really blow up your score. I am sure rosh has some more tips. Doing 2x Indian needles and bringing in the MB is also awesome. Back hand alleyway and inner loop lock shots. It’s way easier once you learn where it is.
UPDATE 2: 10:19pm
Alright, so it seems that I broke the game again lol. So when you set up multiballs together, different logic or code issues seems to come up. I had trunk mb, and then got into seance. After both were stacked I hit a magic hole and it gave me 20 second ball save time. Shortly after I drained out.... it didn’t shoot back the 2 balls I had, it only shot back 1. However, the seance mb kept going even though trunk didn’t. The ghost was continually on the screen and letters were flashing. At this point the stage opened back up and I could start modes. I finally drained after starting a mode in seance and then it ended seance and the ball. Lol.
I have my door open and I don’t see a usb extension or anything of the sort. I wanna send some logs over because little oddities like this seem to occur during stacking of different things and ending of others simultaneously. Here is a photo of the inside of the coin door box. rosh or others please help locate it so I can log it for all of us. I’d like to go back to playing soon.
[quoted image]

Trying to do the test update, and I can't find mine either. Should it be attached to the white power plug on the right in his/my photo?

20181124_034452 (resized).jpg20181124_034452 (resized).jpg
#7262 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Trying to do the test update, and I can't find mine either. Should it be attached to the white power plug on the right in his/my photo? [quoted image]

It's inside the cabinet somewhere around the back of the coin box, maybe over the brace at the back of the coin box.

#7263 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Trying to do the test update, and I can't find mine either. Should it be attached to the white power plug on the right in his/my photo? [quoted image]

You mean the firmware update? If yes, there is a plug for your flash drive inside the door and off to the right. It kind of floats off on the inside right, under the right flipper switch/button. It’s a black plug.

#7264 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

You mean the firmware update? If yes, there is a plug for your flash drive inside the door and off to the right. It kind of floats off on the inside right, under the right flipper switch/button. It’s a black plug.

JJP ties it down now on their pins, which is nice. Hopefully AP follows their lead.

#7265 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

So it's not literally behind the coin door? It's actually under the flipper/playfield?

Do I need to lift the playfield to access it?

#7266 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

So it's not literally behind the coin door? It's actually under the flipper/playfield?

Its right to the money box. Under playfield. You don't need to lift the playfield.

#7267 5 years ago

Installed the variac (while power fix for Europe is not availble at the moment) and it worked good but now after a fews days the catapult is down to 50 - 70% ....

Sometimes its pretty constant and then it goes to right or in front oft the trunk.

I cleaned all parts of the catapult and now i'm out oft ideas.

What else can i do. Read about the dremelmethod, but im not sure how to adjust the arm or the whole assembly.

Hope you can help me and. Give me some input.

#7268 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Downloaded, updated and installed!
Went perfectly without a hitch.
Really like the fast exit from the bonus tally screen at end of ball!
So far it seems ok, got a 4 ball seance, no other modes running, normal..? first game on the new code.
I hope there is a backup utility for scores and coil settings in the near future.
You never know when something will break and you want to reload you settings.

I've been away from my game far too long but I thought Josh added the ability to save and restore settings a couple of code updates ago. Should be under the utilities IIRC.

#7269 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Find the little plug in the middle of the photo.
For further orientation: See the wire behind it going straight up? That’s the wire that leads to the flipper switch. You can also see the packing foam that I store in the nook to the right of the coin box- it’s right above that. Hope that helps.

773A332E-9DEE-432F-957B-3A029C6B7DDB (resized).jpeg773A332E-9DEE-432F-957B-3A029C6B7DDB (resized).jpeg
#7270 5 years ago

Had to comment on the knocker. It’s really worth it. Was wondering why I bought it initially since I was under the impression that it whacked only on a match.

Wrong. Turns out to be quite the active effect.

It is especially pleasing during the bullet catch mode. If you are hitting targets it’s pretty neat - but if you stack with multi-ball, it begins to sound like popcorn popping.

So, yet another successful addition prompted by an excellent company responding to user input.

#7271 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Installed the variac (while power fix for Europe is not availble at the moment) and it worked good but now after a fews days the catapult is down to 50 - 70% ....
Sometimes its pretty constant and then it goes to right or in front oft the trunk.
I cleaned all parts of the catapult and now i'm out oft ideas.
What else can i do. Read about the dremelmethod, but im not sure how to adjust the arm or the whole assembly.
Hope you can help me and. Give me some input.

Dont bother with the arm itself, there isn't much to do there.

Move the whole mech itself. It's a much better solution.

If you raise the playfield and lean it all the way back, you can easily see the whole mech.

Its held in by 4 screws.
It's very accessable with nothing around it.

It's easily removed and replaced.
You dont even have to disconnect any wires, or move any.

Side cut the metal holes that mount the mech to an oval or oblong shape about 2mm each on the sides of each hole so that you can reinstall it with room for adjustment.

Its thin soft metal. A drill bit smaller than the hole can be used to carve the edges with a little patience if you dont have a dremel.

Upon reassembly you can now turn the mech slightly for a better alignment to the trunk

Its pretty easy and takes about 10 minutes to do.

A little bit of adjustment is all that is needed as its 22" away from the trunk.

A 1mm change is dramatic.

Sometimes there is enough slop in the holes to just loosen the screws and twist the mech to the left or right and tighten while firmly holding it in place.

Most will probably have to be rotated clockwise a little if the catapult fires too much to the right.

Mine had to be turned about 2mm in order to aim it where it needed to go, so I carved the sides of the mounting holes in the mech to get a little more turning adjustment.

It seems to be best if the ball ends up in the left of center of the trunk initially.

Power variations usually fire the balk to the right.

This way there is room for error.

#7272 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Should it be attached to the white power plug on the right in his/my photo?

No, that is for a bill validator.

LTG : )

#7273 5 years ago

Quoted from LTG:No, that is for a bill validator.

Oh, I didn't know that's what that was for!

Hmm....I should buy one of those, and start charging the dope that plays this thing so often, and make some quick cash!!!

Oops, wait....I think that dope would be me!

#7274 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Hmm....I should buy one of those, and start charging the dope that plays this thing so often, and make some quick cash!!!

Use as a bank. To save for repairs, parts, or your next American Pinball, Octoberfest !

Quoted from wesman:

Oops, wait....I think that dope would be me!

Not if you save enough for repairs, parts, and your new Octoberfest.

#7275 5 years ago

I have 2 NIB Houdini I need to sell. call for pricing 630-440-5190

#7276 5 years ago

I was skeptical at first on AP, but I must say that I'm impressed with Houdini. I've come to like the game play and I think the LCD is just the right size and integrated amazingly well. After going through the game inside and out here in my game room I'm also impressed with the build quality. They also have excellent tech support which as we know is a must on all brands.

#7277 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:I was skeptical at first on AP, but I must say that I'm impressed with Houdini. I've come to like the game play and I think the LCD is just the right size and integrated amazingly well. After going through the game inside and out here in my game room I'm also impressed with the build quality. They also have excellent tech support which as we know is a must on all brands.

100% agree

#7278 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Just curious if this was the bug I found?
Also are the palms of Houdini's hands in the LCD attract mode now glowing or am I imagining it?

Just pushed up another update. Any issues reported to me (with logs) over the last few days have been corrected in this or the previous update.

Here is the latest code . . .

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16WHKGJnHhzxh_HK9BeNHSu14m3ZOznYy

#7279 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Just pushed up another update. Any issues reported to me (with logs) over the last few days have been corrected in this or the previous update.

Awesome! When do you plan to release the “read me” file. Thanks

#7280 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Downloading now.

#7281 5 years ago

The download came in so fast it reset my router. LOL

Another flawless upgrade and install of the update!

#7282 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Wow! Can’t wait to try it out tomorrow

#7283 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Playing now and like it! Cute Pirate!

#7284 5 years ago

I followed the wires from the api stage display and they go to a connector with a label wca 0020-60 and the white connector and area near the connector on the board look brown. I'm assuming this ain't good. It's also kind of a hell of a 4 day weekend to be stuck with a broken machine when I wanted to play the hell out of it. Well, maybe not broken, I can still play it but there's a white screen killing my general demeanor. Then I also have this thing in the back of my head that this problem will spread across the board. There's also the prospect of phone calls and me possibly killing this gigantic seven thousand dollar toy trying to fix it myself.

IMG_20181124_214736 (resized).jpgIMG_20181124_214736 (resized).jpg
#7285 5 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

I followed the wires from the api stage display and they go to a connector with a label wca 0020-60 and the white connector and area near the connector on the board look brown. I'm assuming this ain't good. It's also kind of a hell of a 4 day weekend to be stuck with a broken machine when I wanted to play the hell out of it. Well, maybe not broken, I can still play it but there's a white screen killing my general demeanor. Then I also have this thing in the back of my head that this problem will spread across the board. There's also the prospect of phone calls and me possibly killing this gigantic seven thousand dollar toy trying to fix it myself.
[quoted image]

Call Barry ASAP.

You wont kill if fixing it yourself, pinball machines are very robust.

Have no fear. Barry is here! (Or at your fingertips if you will just call)

#7286 5 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

It's also kind of a hell of a 4 day weekend to be stuck with a broken machine when I wanted to play the hell out of it.

I am sorry about this. Crap happens. My saddest tech support calls are for those wanting to enjoy their game over a holiday and can't. It is rare. But does happen. No words I offer can make up for your let down.

Quoted from kdecgp:

Then I also have this thing in the back of my head that this problem will spread across the board.

Too soon for full blown panic.

Quoted from kdecgp:

There's also the prospect of phone calls and me possibly killing this gigantic seven thousand dollar toy trying to fix it myself.

Relax. I know this is a bad experience right now. Rest assured American Pinball will help you all they can so you are enjoying your game again as soon as possible.

Contact American Pinball, do as they say. And you and your game will be fine.

#7287 5 years ago

Updated the code today, So far so good. 4 games on it with no issues.

#7288 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Just had a great game with version 18.11.24T, but it’s still a bit glitchy. Before the report on the glitch, I wanted to note that I received an “encore bonus,” which I’ve have never seen before but was pretty cool. The Houdini chant was neat.

Following that, I managed to get into master magician mode. That was going relatively fine until I got to the point of having 60 seconds to complete the mode with the last ball. I looked up at that point, and noted that the screen was fundamentally blank. Occasional items would show up, like scoring, and the letters associated with the bullet catch mode. I was happy to see that when I finished the magician mode the game did not reset.

It didn’t work quite right either.

I was on ball 4 and it was simultaneously prompting me to enter my initials for the high score, with the associated Ouija Board graphics, and it was also prompting me to launch the next ball, also with the skill shot graphics up on the screen. The result was having the two graphics overlap each other. I was bound and determined not to let that 5,000,000+ score disappear into the either and so I manage to enter my initials. The high score entry graphics disappeared, and I launched the ball.

While the ball was in play, the monkey with the symbols “match” graphics popped up, overlapping the regular gameplay graphics. At that point the flippers went dead, the balls drained, and the game ended on ball 4. I did manage to retain the score. The score shows up as grand champion.

I also noticed that the bottom third of the game went completely dark at some point. That would be Houdini’s eyes, the chains and locks. I think this happened as I was in master magician mode also.

Otherwise, the game performed perfectly up to that point. I was absolutely pleased it didn’t reset after master magician, but I just wanted to report this. Hope it helps.

#7289 5 years ago

Thank you pinballinero.
Dremeled the assembly. Now it works pretty stable when i move the ramp a bit to right.
If i don't move the ramp the ball will hit the ramp every second attemp.

I will figure it out how i can move it better so that the ball won't hit the ramp.

#7290 5 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

The little display on the API Grand is just showing a white screen. How do I begin to try and fix it? Am I unscrewing that big plastic piece behind it?

try a different monitor cable

#7291 5 years ago

Moved the ramp and drilled New holes. Leveld the pin to 6.2 pitch and adjusted the variac..

Et voilà - catapult shot is now 9/10

Thanks for your help.

So i noticed since the New code update the left flipper drops sometimes for a second.
Before the code update i hadn't this phenomen. EOS is installed.
Maybe i have to reseat the EOS cable or has anyone the same phenomen ?

IMG_20181125_121617 (resized).jpgIMG_20181125_121617 (resized).jpg

IMG-20181125-WA0001 (resized).jpegIMG-20181125-WA0001 (resized).jpeg
#7292 5 years ago

My game is firing balls without being plunged.
If I walk away from a 4 player game for awhile the game launches balls?

#7293 5 years ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Madding.

Free multiball? That's a feature!

#7294 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Just had a great game with version 18.11.24T, but it’s still a bit glitchy. Before the report on the glitch, I wanted to note that I received an “encore bonus,” which I’ve have never seen before but was pretty cool. The Houdini chant was neat.
Following that, I managed to get into master magician mode. That was going relatively fine until I got to the point of having 60 seconds to complete the mode with the last ball. I looked up at that point, and noted that the screen was fundamentally blank. Occasional items would show up, like scoring, and the letters associated with the bullet catch mode. I was happy to see that when I finished the magician mode the game did not reset.
It didn’t work quite right either.
I was on ball 4 and it was simultaneously prompting me to enter my initials for the high score, with the associated Ouija Board graphics, and it was also prompting me to launch the next ball, also with the skill shot graphics up on the screen. The result was having the two graphics overlap each other. I was bound and determined not to let that 5,000,000+ score disappear into the either and so I manage to enter my initials. The high score entry graphics disappeared, and I launched the ball.
While the ball was in play, the monkey with the symbols “match” graphics popped up, overlapping the regular gameplay graphics. At that point the flippers went dead, the balls drained, and the game ended on ball 4. I did manage to retain the score. The score shows up as grand champion.
I also noticed that the bottom third of the game went completely dark at some point. That would be Houdini’s eyes, the chains and locks. I think this happened as I was in master magician mode also.
Otherwise, the game performed perfectly up to that point. I was absolutely pleased it didn’t reset after master magician, but I just wanted to report this. Hope it helps.

After finishing MM mode (not successfully), I had the initials screen interrupted by a new ball being served to the plunger (also my 4th) and the skill shot screen came up. But it ultimately went back to the initials and concluded the game. I didn't have any of the other issues. I have the match feature turned of. The MM screen awarded me 5 letters and was pretty stable. I sent Josh the logs for the game. I think we're very close to resolution on this....

#7295 5 years ago

Madding.

There's a setting for ball in shooter lane. After a set amount of time the ball will be launched.
I have mine set to 60 seconds. Enough time to catch my breath, have a shot of tequila for Josh, then jump back in.
This is a good feature for machines on route or parties. If someone walks away the game will end in a few minutes.

#7296 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Moved the ramp and drilled New holes. Leveld the pin to 6.2 pitch and adjusted the variac..
Et voilà - catapult shot is now 9/10
Thanks for your help.
So i noticed since the New code update the left flipper drops sometimes for a second.
Before the code update i hadn't this phenomen. EOS is installed.
Maybe i have to reseat the EOS cable or has anyone the same phenomen ?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I'm also having a flipper drop once in awhile, usually during seance multiball.

Yes, it's doing it more after the recent code updates.

It's only for a second and it does recover by itself.

It happens to either side randomly. It doesn't happen on every game. It's very random.

It's not related to the EOS switches.

I think it's related to a weak connection to the affected flipper that is uncovered by the code update.

Future updates might fix this.

I will have to reseat and inspect every connection to the flipper wires just for peace of mind.

I haven't done this yet.

I believe it to be a low power issue when many features are running at the same time.

The upgraded power supply fixes power levels wonderfully! But this last item still eludes me.

Over all the game is lightyears ahead of where it was 4 months ago and right now my game plays like a dream!

Software code is really coming along, thanks Josh for all the work so far.

#7297 5 years ago

Madding.

There's an auto launch timer for locations that launches the ball after X seconds. Look in your settings to turn it off.

#7298 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Use as a bank. To save for repairs, parts, or your next American Pinball, Octoberfest !

Not if you save enough for repairs, parts, and your new Octoberfest.

Haha, great idea! Oh man, that game looks really fun, but I also want the first three JJP games too....

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions regarding the plug. It was back behind the coin box. Did the update last night easy peasy!

#7299 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Haha, great idea! Oh man, that game looks really fun, but I also want the first three JJP games too....
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions regarding the plug. It was back behind the coin box. Did the update last night easy peasy!

#7300 5 years ago

On the last beta code drop, had a two player 5 ball game finish and the cymbal clapping match monkey did not show up...
Game just showed the two final scores.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 146 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/146?hl=mcbpalisade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.