20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 145 of 297.
#7201 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Yes, since there are no insert lights to keep track of locked balls what does one do?

But there are. Next time you have a ball locked, look right down in front of you and look for a lock with an insert lit in multiballs turquoise color. There is a second lock right next to it for lock 2.

Those inserts also light when mini-magician modes are ready, in the appropriate color, and there is an icon on it telling you which as well.

#7202 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's just held on with some screws on the backboard; mine has fallen off 3 times now. It's the shade for the LED strip at the back. It's noticeable when not installed but not terrible. I am considering maybe adding washers to it next time to get better grip, since there are no holes drilled through the actual piece.

Can you post a close up pic of the installation? Or maybe one of the screws? Or reference an earlier post about it?

I'm not seeing it yet...

#7203 5 years ago

Can you post a close up pic of the installation? Or maybe one of the screws? Or reference an earlier post about it?
I'm not seeing it yet...

Will do when I get home! There are 3 screws IIRC, on the backboard. You may have to pull the PF to see them properly

#7204 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

These are all for protecting the bottoms? I figured they protected the top.

The danger is from the side. They are slightly larger than the plastic so they absorb a direct hit to the edge.

#7205 5 years ago
Quoted from Osro:

After installing the new power supply (which I did largely to fix the lower catapult issue) I'm experiencing similar behavior. I can't remember the exact power settings I have it at, but at X the catapult throws the ball dead center and it hits the front edge of the trunk which 50% of the time results in the ball bouncing in to the trunk and 50% of the time results in the ball bouncing out of the trunk and 100% of the time results in minor damage to the trunk. At X+1 strength the ball goes wide left 100% of the time.

Just want to give a quick shout out to the AMAZING customer support I received from Barry at API last night. I got him on the phone and he was able to help me get this whole thing straightened out in about 10 minutes. World class service!!

#7206 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Just getting back to working on the non-booting Houdini. I've checked all of the connections in the backbox and basically everything in the cabinet and bottom of the playfield. The game simply stopped working and won't boot. Here is a video that shows all of the boards and LED colors and symptoms:

I can help.

[email protected]

#7207 5 years ago

Yes, since there are no insert lights to keep track of locked balls what does one do?
I like the secret missions, it always amuses me when I complete one or 2.
After all, they're secret ! lol.

Delete - didn't see Josh's response before I posted mine.

#7208 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Will do when I get home! There are 3 screws IIRC, on the backboard. You may have to pull the PF to see them properly

Thanks, I'll take a much closer look tonight.

#7209 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

There are two indicators for locked balls on the playfield and they are lit solid turqouise when the corresponding balls are locked for Trunk Multiball. I don't have any easy way to describe them or point them out but they are there.

Wow, I never noticed!
I'll take a look.

#7210 5 years ago

Wow, I never noticed!
I'll take a look.

Can someone post a photo if they find this?

#7211 5 years ago

i worry about battery leakage on pinball machines. are there any on houdini? that i should know about and how often do i change them

#7212 5 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

i worry about battery leakage on pinball machines. are there any on houdini? that i should know about and how often do i change them

There is no 3-pack of batteries to leak out on Houdini compared to the older 90's games.
Technology has changed a bit since then.

#7213 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Can someone post a photo if they find this?

They’re just the lights on the images of the locks...very convenient and well thought out. Once again, they turn turquoise

8C01EAB9-0AB8-47A1-A61F-CA3AA3A172D3 (resized).jpeg8C01EAB9-0AB8-47A1-A61F-CA3AA3A172D3 (resized).jpeg
#7214 5 years ago
Quoted from wyopin:

well thought out

Not sure I'd go that far. Was lamenting one day that there was no way to know how many balls were locked, and looked down and said, hey, I can use those locks, they are easy to see, and are not lit very often, and even if they are, I can just alternate colors.

Obviously knowing how many are locked can factor in your strategy.

#7215 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Not sure I'd go that far. Was lamenting one day that there was no way to know how many balls were locked, and looked down and said, hey, I can use those locks, they are easy to see, and are not lit very often, and even if they are, I can just alternate colors.

It really does make way too much sense!

It never dawned on me that those were used as lock 1, and lock 2.

#7216 5 years ago
Quoted from Osro:

Just want to give a quick shout out to the AMAZING customer support I received from Barry at API last night. I got him on the phone and he was able to help me get this whole thing straightened out in about 10 minutes. World class service!!

Ditto here too. Talked to Barry at AP today after trading a couple of e-mails. Excellent service!!

Barry: Thanks again - It is sincerely appreciated.

#7217 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Good to know. I figured the padlock lights were telling us what the next shots should be. Will pay more attention to them now.

#7218 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Not sure I'd go that far...

Hahaha...you could’ve fooled me...locks for locks...just seemed too clever not to be thought out. I like how I don’t have to look up to check on the screen too

#7219 5 years ago

Pincades Attending Pincinnati
I will have show games available for sale! 3 maybe more, or nib
If your interested lmk I can bring what ever is needed. (Glass, Blades, Shaker, any combination.)

FYI: October fest will there as well!
Stop by the API/Pincades Booth and go for a Flip!

Happy Holidays
Pincades
Jesse T

#7220 5 years ago

Anyone else have trouble losing the ball in the trunk during the needle trick? My trunk shot never loses a ball unless i am in the indian needle illision. During that illusion, if i hit a ball into the trunk, it sits until a ball search releases it into the tunnel. Re-created that multiple times last night. Once released, the ball comes back into play, but i lose most or all of my time. Anyone else see this?

#7221 5 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Anyone else have trouble losing the ball in the trunk during the needle trick? My trunk shot never loses a ball unless i am in the indian needle illision. During that illusion, if i hit a ball into the trunk, it sits until a ball search releases it into the tunnell. Re-created that multiple times last night. One released, the ball comes back into play, but i lose most or all of my time. Anyone else see this?

This hasn't happened to me exactly, but I was losing balls in the catapult itself for a while - turned out to be a switch issue. I'd be willing to bet it's the same here. VERY Slightly bend the switch up a tiny tiny bit and it should register. Not sure why it only happens to you in Needle mode, but maybe something to do with how it lands when fired from the catapult.

#7222 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

One-way gate will solve that problem.

I was thinking a code adjustment to momentarily fire the coil on that post that diverts to the catapult VUK, and traps the ball

Also, I got my left lock sorted out. It was indeed the switch! The ball was settling slightly to the left of the left lock post, and just not triggering the switch consistently. I guess this is why it worked in test but not all the time in gameplay. I slightly bent the switch to favor the left side of the game more, and it appears to be working well now. Like I said, I hate these rollover switches!

Thanks for talking me through Josh! Here's another shout out to AP's awesome customer service!

#7223 5 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Anyone else have trouble losing the ball in the trunk during the needle trick? My trunk shot never loses a ball unless i am in the indian needle illision. During that illusion, if i hit a ball into the trunk, it sits until a ball search releases it into the tunnell. Re-created that multiple times last night. One released, the ball comes back into play, but i lose most or all of my time. Anyone else see this?

Sort of... wife has mentioned that several times the ball sits in the stage. Switch is working and ball is correctly resting in the 'cradle '

#7224 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This hasn't happened to me exactly, but I was losing balls in the catapult itself for a while - turned out to be a switch issue. I'd be willing to bet it's the same here. VERY Slightly bend the switch up a tiny tiny bit and it should register. Not sure why it only happens to you in Needle mode, but maybe something to do with how it lands when fired from the catapult.

Switch is registering just fine...this only happens during the needle illusion. Trunk lock is 100% the rest of the time.

#7225 5 years ago

Again koodoo's to all staff of AP on handling issues in an utmost professional manner! The trivial issue on my end was handled with complete professionalism!
Thanks for setting a high standard with my first NIB experience!

#7226 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Again koodoo's to all staff of AP on handling issues in an utmost professional manner! The trivial issue on my end was handled with complete professionalism!
Thanks for setting a high standard with my first NIB experience!

2nd that!
Barry took my quick dumb call on knocker last week. Power supply question, connectors, ground wire, just top notch service as always.

#7227 5 years ago

Called during expo and was pleasantly surprised that Barry took my call. Got me sorted out with the power supply, thanks for that!

#7228 5 years ago

Just saw this story about a new Houdini documentary series being released soon, should be an interesting show:

https://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2018/11/science-channel-announces-houdinis-last.html

#7229 5 years ago

The little display on the API Grand is just showing a white screen. How do I begin to try and fix it? Am I unscrewing that big plastic piece behind it?

#7230 5 years ago

Last night we were playing Houdini & I was able to achieve a 4x's milkcan multiplier. After several minutes, the playfield bonus went away. Does this multiplier only last for a limited time? Also I noticed that when in the milkcan stage mode, this multiplier is automatically achieved when going through the milkcan loop or by simply hitting the magic targets. It seems that there is no need to hit the ramp after a milkcan loop to acquire 2x's, etc. playfield bonus.
Not sure if this has to do w/ what is in my current settings, or if this multiplier is just generously a give-in for multiplier completion. It's very lucrative to have 4x's playfield multiplier just before a trunk multiball or stage mode. I know I did hit the second combo completion for a big 300,000 score!

#7231 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Just saw this story about a new Houdini documentary series being released soon, should be an interesting show:
https://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2018/11/science-channel-announces-houdinis-last.html

Jan 6th, Ill set my Dvr. Thanks for the heads up!

#7232 5 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

The little display on the API Grand is just showing a white screen. How do I begin to try and fix it? Am I unscrewing that big plastic piece behind it?

Check connector to display on back, yes, unscrew the black plastic shroud.

#7233 5 years ago

not sure i've got the correct info, but talking about the code, right now, what still need to be done for being complete ? only the final wizard mode ?
(than not talking about polishing & bug correction)
tanx

#7234 5 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

not sure i've got the correct info, but talking about the code, right now, what still need to be done for being complete ? only the final wizard mode ?
(than not talking about polishing & bug correction)
tanx

The final wizard mode exists, all mini-wizard modes exist in the latest beta. They are all functional but need a lot of polish - and if you get the final wizard mode, the game resets! But it’s just a bug, I think the last beta was in September, so there is probably a code update on the horizon. I do remember the September beta made the game a LOT more fun, seems like there were a lot of tweaks and small changes that really positively affected gameplay. So hopefully it will be release in full soon!

#7235 5 years ago

BLACK FRIDAY THRU CYBER MONDAY SALE!!!!
$90 ALL 3 PIECES SHIPPED and Free Key FOB.
PM/Message me for details.

SOLD!
Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “MOD MAGIC! by Ericpinballfan for HOUDINI PINBALL BY AMERICAN PINBALL! PM/Message me for details. All 3 Pieces are for sale individually. If you only want one or two of the 3, I wi...”
2019-01-24
Anaheim, CA
Archived after: 88 days
Viewed: 2680 times
Contributed to Pinside

#7236 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The final wizard mode exists, all mini-wizard modes exist in the latest beta. They are all functional but need a lot of polish - and if you get the final wizard mode, the game resets! But it’s just a bug, I think the last beta was in September, so there is probably a code update on the horizon. I do remember the September beta made the game a LOT more fun, seems like there were a lot of tweaks and small changes that really positively affected gameplay. So hopefully it will be release in full soon!

tanx

#7237 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

All fixed!

So, the lampshade is a friction fit behind the LED strip.

If the 3 screws that hold the LED fixture become loose, the lampshade can be knocked off by the trunk lid or pretty much anything.

Looking at it, there doesnt sseem to be an easy, or cosmetically viable solution.

It would have been good to have added tabs to the lampshade that corresponded to the holes in the LED fixture.

If it continually becomes a problem, I think a little double sided thin-tape might do the trick, behind the lampshade itself.

#7238 5 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

After several minutes, the playfield bonus went away. Does this multiplier only last for a limited time? Also I noticed that when in the milkcan stage mode, this multiplier is automatically achieved when going through the milkcan loop or by simply hitting the magic targets. It seems that there is no need to hit the ramp after a milkcan loop to acquire 2x's, etc. playfield bonus.

yes, the playfield multiplier times out, there is an indication on screen of current multiplier (when 2x or above) and how relative time left. In milkcan escape, you only need to hit the loop to get awarded the shot and to increase the multiplier. The magic stand-up will work time to advance it during that mode.

#7239 5 years ago

I'm testing the latest code this weekend, now that I have a machine at home. Code is almost ready to release, but since a lot of you have a long weekend and black friday sales to avoid, if anyone wants to help test, and you know how to update the code on the machine, you can use the link below. There is quite bit that has been added and fixed since the September beta release, which is why there has been the delay in this release. Let me know if you run into issues.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PvxDRQ7No1HiiLKVbr3IjdnlSnmIBuw4

Added over 5 years ago:

updated link . . .

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_4TxAu8njGnDB1UinatWG_SR80iC3hTT

#7240 5 years ago

i dont have a HOUDINI (still), but seing guys from the company involved here with their customers is really a good thing !
even more when its (personal feeling) linked with the code evolution...

#7241 5 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

i dont have a HOUDINI (still), but seing guys from the company involved here with their customers is really a good thing !
even more when its (personal feeling) linked with the code evolution...

The guys have bent over backwards to help, it has been a pleasure and honour meeting them in person, and the legacy of this game will continue to benefit from it!

I can’t believe I’m not at home to test out this new code!!

#7242 5 years ago

Been playing my Houdini a lot lately. I'm finding the shots are getting much more makable and it's a lot of fun. I'm getting games that are 15 to 20 min long now. Love stacking multiball modes!

#7243 5 years ago

How do you test the shaker motor after installed? And when is it used?

Thanks.

#7244 5 years ago

Code downloaded, waiting to install it.

#7245 5 years ago

I ordered today a variac to help to see if the helps my troubles with the catapult, will let you know how it goes with it. (For EU there is no other power solution as of yet.)

#7246 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Been playing my Houdini a lot lately. I'm finding the shots are getting much more makable and it's a lot of fun. I'm getting games that are 15 to 20 min long now. Love stacking multiball modes!

Nice work!

I'm lucky to get three minute games.....

#7247 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Nice work!

Sloooooow down is the best advice i can give. Also when you’re first staring on this game, it helped me a lot to dial down the flipper strength. Make sure your scoop is shooting down to the right flipper too; that can throw your game off big time if it is positioned off.

#7248 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I ordered today a variac to help to see if the helps my troubles with the catapult, will let you know how it goes with it. (For EU there is no other power solution as of yet.)

Good decision! I installed my variac and it helps a lot. No week Flippers, stable power for catapult and all coils ! Now Houdini is More fun then before.

But I hope AP will bring out the fix for european customers.

@ rosh: thanks for sharing the code. Will try it today.

#7249 5 years ago

Code downloaded, waiting to install it.

Installed on 8gb flash drive.

The update installed flawlessly.
Wow, really nice update.
Lots of great fixes.
I'll have to put some time on it this weekend to see more of them.

So far I'm really liking the fast restart at game end!

I had to dial down flipper strength 1 notch for each flipper.

#7250 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Nice work!

Set flippers to 23 or 24.
Set playfield pitch to 6.2, no higher.
Turn down slingshot power 1 notch below defaults.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 145 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/145?hl=kdecgp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.