Topic Stats

• 12,177 posts
  • 648 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 37 minutes ago by zahner
  • Topic is favorited by 162 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,599 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

houdini_code_release_21.01.21 (resized).png
BA1534C4-4528-493A-A22D-F3E3FEB95B7B (resized).jpeg
E4268037-0697-4821-B200-853990ED7459 (resized).jpeg
CB650277-9CDC-4721-ABB0-741023BF74C5 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
20210117_134537 (resized).jpg
20210117_134527 (resized).jpg
20210117_134507 (resized).jpg
20210117_160748 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210105_160343_181 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210105_153650_390 (resized).jpg
20210117_042242 (resized).jpg
20210116_183927 (resized).jpg
jacket (resized).jpg
tank (resized).jpg
maths1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12177 posts in this topic. You are on page 143 of 244.
#7101 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Funny - I just came to post about a similar issue. I must have shut the game off before it released all the balls yesterday.
Start the game with one ball locked in the upper left lock (where the ball stops if lock is not lit and you hit the inner loop)
The game does one, maybe 2 ball searches before starting -the first game- on boot. It does not appear to drop the post which locks the ball during ball search. Then it basically never does another ball search.
The game at this point knows the ball is missing (it shows a “ball missing” message in the menu), but never lets it out via ball search, and appears to ignore the fact that a ball is missing when dealing with drains, e.g. multiballs.
I started a game 38 minutes ago as above, drained after maybe 8 minutes, and the game is -still waiting for the ball-. Yes, after 30 minutes. I have drained, there is no ball in play, and I have no way to fix this save pulling the glass. I restarted the game even, by going into the menu, and this did not help. It’s just sitting as if I’m supposed to be plunging the ball, but none of the plunge Callouts are playing.
I am on the beta 9.18.18 code, so maybe this is specific to that code, but I’d really love to see this addressed. I am certain this sort of bug also appears elsewhere in the game, e.g. man from beyond seems to lose track of the ball sometimes.
It’s been quite a while (ok, not in Stern code update months), hoping for another update soon?

This is rather odd behavior and it would be interesting to see if it is reproducible on other machines, I'd try it but I won't be near my game for another week or so . Does the left lock switch show as closed in the switch test? What if you go into the clear Houdini's balls utility, does it release it then?

#7102 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This is rather odd behavior and it would be interesting to see if it is reproducible on other machines, I'd try it but I won't be near my game for another week or so . Does the left lock switch show as closed in the switch test? What if you go into the clear Houdini's balls utility, does it release it then?

It does not release it when I do clear balls - it pops everything out of the trough continuously, but that ball stays.

Is there even a left lock switch? I need to check that.

#7103 2 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Hi all I'm having some issues with my game and would appreciate any help anyone may have -
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdini-opto-issues#post-4689029

email call or text
barry@americanpinball.com

#7104 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It does not release it when I do clear balls - it pops everything out of the trough continuously, but that ball stays.
Is there even a left lock switch? I need to check that.

There are three left lock switches, I'd definitely test those.

#7105 2 years ago

Might be a crazy idea......Considering replacing the seance targets with spring post style limit switches. They are narrow, sensitive, and have a pretty strong spring to take abuse and rebound. What do you think?

20181116_105708 (resized).jpg
#7106 2 years ago
Quoted from Tokkentakker:

Might be a crazy idea......Considering replacing the seance targets with spring post style limit switches. They are narrow, sensitive, and have a pretty strong spring to take abuse and rebound. What do you think?
[quoted image]

No need, all shots are doable with ease and aiming.

#7107 2 years ago

Stupid question, what size wrench is easiest for leg leveling? So far I still have mine leveled via furniture pads. I'd like to get a Stool somewhere online, a torpedo leveler, and do this proper in the future.

#7108 2 years ago

Have to say the new Power supply really bulletproff's this game! Lower catapult is dead on and I always ignored the washer and cleaning fix listed. Never felt those were needed.
Glad to see Oktoberfest will have power supply included, as well as a sub in cabinet. Going to use my coupon for shaker and knocker on oktoberfest!
Knocker installed and is nice touch for houdini. I put mine at 1 1/2 inch from plate thinking it would make for louder knock, it doesn't, closer to plate is better and louder at 1 1/4 inch for maximum knock. Also, will most likely add wire and put it in head when I get a chance. Think it will be even louder up top.

#7109 2 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Stupid question, what size wrench is easiest for leg leveling? So far I still have mine leveled via furniture pads. I'd like to get a Stool somewhere online, a torpedo leveler, and do this proper in the future.

9/16" wrench

#7110 2 years ago

I hate to do this.. but there is an update to the knocker installation..

It seems the plunger in our test game is longer than the actual plunger that shipped with the Knocker Kit...

Therefore the distance from the striker plate to the front of the knocker coil should be 1 3/16 inch. I have updated the installation instructions here and on our web site to reflect this.

If you have already installed your knocker and it is working THERE IS NOTHING ELSE YOU NEED TO DO!

http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2018-11/Knocker-Installation.pdf

Sorry for any inconvenience,
Barry

Knocker Installation.pdf
#7111 2 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

You can use a 6" adjustable wrench for the squared off portion of the leg leveler that is above the foot part.
You can adjust the leveler without lifting the game, just turn the leveler with the game in place.

If the nut was applied to the bottom of the front leg leveler, most people remove them and put them on the top portion, or remove the nuts altogether..

This allows for easier adjustments by just turning the squared off area if the leg is close to the ground.

#7112 2 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

I hate to do this.. but there is an update to the knocker installation..
It seems the plunger in our test game is longer than the actual plunger that shipped with the Knocker Kit...
Therefore the distance from the striker plate to the front of the knocker coil should be 1 3/16 inch. I have updated the installation instructions here and on our web site to reflect this.
If you have already installed your knocker and it is working THERE IS NOTHING ELSE YOU NEED TO DO!
http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2018-11/Knocker-Installation.pdf
Sorry for any inconvenience,
Barry[quoted image]

Barry, you need to add a picture for the black/brown wire installation into the wall-nuts on the instruction sheet, for the ones that have the upgraded power supply.

There is some confusion as to which installation that one is doing from looking at the pictures.

#7113 2 years ago

Interesting. I would like to see someone try one.

#7114 2 years ago

[quoted image]

This seems a bit extreme, But I can see it being used as an omni-directional target somewhere in pinball!

The only lane that was a tiny bit tight was the inner loop. Just moving the "C" target over to the left 1/8" is the only tweak one would need, and does wonders.

#7115 2 years ago

I have to admit that I haven't even had a chance to try moving my "c" target or order my power supply yet. I'm getting behind on all of my pin's needs. Really like my Houdini already. I just come across that style limit switch often and I got me thinking....

#7116 2 years ago

Just put in the knocker. Very easy with the new power supply. Love those wall-nuts.

#7117 2 years ago

When I had my playfield drop last weekend, and then got it upright and set back in, I had this come out from somewhere.

I imagine it was from the warehouse, like a chip from somewhere there? I didn't notice any damage at all to my playfield, and really the backboard hit, so I'd have no idea how anything could have flaked or chipped on top at all.

Any theories/ideas guys?

(Going to fine tooth comb this thing this weekend, just to make sure nothing occurred anywhere. I mean, I'd imagine it only took an inch or few drop from being raised and coming down straight to the plastic protector over the power intake.)
20181116_152543 (resized).jpg20181116_152554 (resized).jpg

#7118 2 years ago

The lower catapult is so difficult to adjust. I dremeled the holes and to me the catapult seems like its dead center. With 27 power it shoots the ball directly in the center, but it is about 1 cm low and hits the trunk. With 28 power the ball goes above the trunk and right. Seems like an adjustment to power 27.5 to coil would be good to have...

#7119 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Barry, you need to add a picture for the black/brown wire installation into the wall-nuts on the instruction sheet, for the ones that have the upgraded power supply.
There is some confusion as to which installation that one is doing from looking at the pictures.

Done. On the web sit http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2018-11/Knocker-Installation.pdf

#7120 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Just put in the knocker. Very easy with the new power supply. Love those wall-nuts.

Awesome... I knew someone would like them besides me!

#7122 2 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

When I had my playfield drop last weekend, and then got it upright and set back in, I had this come out from somewhere.
I imagine it was from the warehouse, like a chip from somewhere there? I didn't notice any damage at all to my playfield, and really the backboard hit, so I'd have no idea how anything could have flaked or chipped on top at all.
Any theories/ideas guys?
(Going to fine tooth comb this thing this weekend, just to make sure nothing occurred anywhere. I mean, I'd imagine it only took an inch or few drop from being raised and coming down straight to the plastic protector over the power intake.)
[quoted image][quoted image]

If you cant see it with the glass on while playing the game, it wont matter.

The same applies to small cabinet chips. I cant see them while playing, so they dont exist to me.

#7123 2 years ago
Quoted from triggur:

We've been seeing balls get stuck, stacking up in the lower catapult,

Anytime the ball lands in the lower catapult it should get fired out. So I have to wonder if you are having some intermittent switch issues on the lower catapult. Clearly in the photo the balls is not on the switch, but hard to see it being like that when there was just the one ball in there.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The game does one, maybe 2 ball searches before starting -the first game- on boot. It does not appear to drop the post which locks the ball during ball search.

Not sure what you mean 'the post which locks ball' can you clarify?

Once a game has started, a ball on the shooter lane switch will prevent ball search from happening, so check that your shooter lane switch is working correctly.

If you get that again, send me the log.

#7124 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Anytime the ball lands in the lower catapult it should get fired out. So I have to wonder if you are having some intermittent switch issues on the lower catapult. Clearly in the photo the balls is not on the switch, but hard to see it being like that when there was just the one ball in there.

Not sure what you mean 'the post which locks ball' can you clarify?
Once a game has started, a ball on the shooter lane switch will prevent ball search from happening, so check that your shooter lane switch is working correctly.
If you get that again, send me the log.

I think he means the white peg in the upper right that blocks the inner loop shot if the ball doesnt go go the catapult via the diverter.

You had me adjust the timing a bit on mine, i believe that I turned it up a couple notches so It would stay down longer?. It wasnt releasing the ball and the game was doing the same thing.

#7125 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I am certain this sort of bug also appears elsewhere in the game, e.g. man from beyond seems to lose track of the ball sometimes.

We're seeing periodic ball state confusion too (not on the beta). It's difficult to nail down the circumstances because I'm not always the one playing, but sometimes it seems like it doesn't even see the balls that are veritably activating the cup switches in the catapults. However if I look at the switch test screen, it -does- see them as activated.

#7126 2 years ago

I think he means the white peg in the upper right that blocks the inner loop shot if the ball doesnt go go the catapult via the diverter.
You had me adjust the timing a bit on mine, i believe that I turned it up a couple notches so It would stay down longer?. It wasnt releasing the ball and the game was doing the same thing.

The post on the upper left of the playfield, that holds the ball when it is not diverted to the catapult. It does not release the ball on ball search. I will check if it’s even going up and down at all on ball search - seemed like no.

This is not related to a ball being in the shooter lane, it occurs before the game even starts, before a ball is ejected to the shooter lane

#7127 2 years ago

So, 215 games played on Houdin :?i, and I only just now realized the significance of having the monkey deliver extra balls. Sigh...

20181116_214316 (resized).jpg
#7128 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The post on the upper left of the playfield, that holds the ball when it is not diverted to the catapult. It does not release the ball on ball search. I will check if it’s even going up and down at all on ball search - seemed like no.
This is not related to a ball being in the shooter lane, it occurs before the game even starts, before a ball is ejected to the shooter lane

Ball search will not release a ball in left lock. Assuming the switch is working it will know it is there and release it when it wants to in game play.

#7129 2 years ago

I'm getting a random extra ball once in awhile, or a 4 ball seance.

It's fun but should be addressed.

Unless there is an add-a-ball feature I'm not aware of?

#7130 2 years ago

PINCINNATI!! 11-30/12-2
Pincades
will be attending the show!
If any one wants a Houdini delivered to the show lmk in advance, Maybe some show games available at a discount or nib. your choice!
Save on shipping and get it delivered to the show.

Pincades
Jesse T.

#7131 2 years ago

Well, I think I'm done with things until I get my Cliffies.

I raised the playfield, successfully. Took photos of underneath, and all seemed well after it had fallen last week.

Seems pulling the playfield all the way out on the rails, was definitely the issue prior. I hit the first bump, and stopped. At the second ridge, I pulled forward today, and lifted a bit up at the back, and it slid forward to where I could get the yellow rails up on the apron.

I then loosened the nut, really tough to get it to move, and the flipper let go and dropped to where it should be, within an 1/8 of an inch or so. I tightened it, and moved on from there.

Then I used a microfiber cloth to dust for loose shavings and such from the shipping. I then waxed with Blitz Grand, let it sit for a half hour, then buffed the wax.

Decided to play a game, and the flipper immediately raised, and went further than it was before. So I'm guessing it wasn't tight enough?

Either way I'm done for the night. Had some issues even sliding the glass back in at the end. Just kind of tired, and frustrated, and waiting for the footloose, fancy free game playing fun to kick in. But.....another night.

20181117_154253 (resized).jpg20181117_210833 (resized).jpg
#7132 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Ball search will not release a ball in left lock. Assuming the switch is working it will know it is there and release it when it wants to in game play.

Thanks Josh. I will check the switch - it is absolutely not releasing during gameplay.

#7133 2 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I raised the playfield, successfully. Took photos of underneath, and all seemed well after it had fallen last week.
Seems pulling the playfield all the way out on the rails, was definitely the issue prior. I hit the first bump, and stopped. At the second ridge, I pulled forward today, and lifted a bit up at the back, and it slid forward to where I could get the yellow rails up on the apron.
I then loosened the nut, really tough to get it to move, and the flipper let go and dropped to where it should be, within an 1/8 of an inch or so. I tightened it, and moved on from there.
Then I used a microfiber cloth to dust for loose shavings and such from the shipping. I then waxed with Blitz Grand, let it sit for a half hour, then buffed the wax.
Decided to play a game, and the flipper immediately raised, and went further than it was before. So I'm guessing it wasn't tight enough?
Either way I'm done for the night. Had some issues even sliding the glass back in at the end. Just kind of tired, and frustrated, and waiting for the footloose, fancy free game playing fun to kick in. But.....another night.

Is that flipper loose?

It has to be way tighter than you would think is necessary.

Or is the return spring not connected?

#7134 2 years ago

Is that flipper loose?
It has to be way tighter than you would think is necessary.
Or is the return spring not connected?

I loosened it up via the nut, and it immediately relaxed and went down. Then I tightened the bolt, and it seemed to be okay. Then I powered it on, and it rose again to where it was at, and even higher.

#7135 2 years ago

My friend just told me, she said the spring was connected.

#7136 2 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I loosened it up via the nut, and it immediately relaxed and went down. Then I tightened the bolt, and it seemed to be okay. Then I powered it on, and it rose again to where it was at, and even higher.

Are you tightening the 3/8" nut on the flipper pawl?

Does it go down when you power off the game?

Does it go up without pressing the button?

Can you push it back down with the glass off, power on, and does it stay down?

If its loose, it will pretty much go anywhere.

Try moving into position and tightening more. If it keeps moving tighten it even more.

Ultimately it will stay in place.

The flipper should not move without pressing its button.

#7137 2 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

This is Only a suggestion!!! I would strongly advise you Hold Off on doing a Cliffy install until you enjoy the game and get a bit more comfortable with working on basic things. If raising the playfield was upsetting Trust that there are several items that need to be removed from the playfield and Correctly reinstalled to install Cliffy's. You will NOT do any major damage playing without them for some time if not forever. Know that games were in bars/arcades being played Thousands of times and never used protective devices like that. I highly doubt you will work this game harder then a 24/7 location pin but it is likely you will incurr more grief or possible damage trying to attempt further service/modifications until you get more comfortable with it. Play it and have fun. Don't let people scare you into thinking this game is made of delicate glass. It a game, play it and enjoy!!

#7138 2 years ago

Are you tightening the 3/8" nut on the flipper pawl?
Does it go down when you power off the game?
Does it go up without pressing the button?
Can you push it back down with the glass off, power on, and does it stay down?
If its loose, it will pretty much go anywhere.
Try moving into position and tightening more. If it keeps moving tighten it even more.
Ultimately it will stay in place.
The flipper should not move without pressing its button.

It's weird. I thought I had tightened it enough, and locked it into the lower postition, but as soon as I started the game it rose again, and even higher than before.

It doesn't have much play, pressing downward as it is, unless I'd loosen the nut again. I'm going to have to loosen it, reposition, then tighten even more than it was. When I loosened the nut initially, the flipper relaxed and went just a bit past the guide hole, a little lower than the other flipper.

Quoted from Yelobird:

This is Only a suggestion!!! I would strongly advise you Hold Off on doing a Cliffy install until you enjoy the game and get a bit more comfortable with working on basic things. If raising the playfield was upsetting Trust that there are several items that need to be removed from the playfield and Correctly reinstalled to install Cliffy's. You will NOT do any major damage playing without them for some time if not forever. Know that games were in bars/arcades being played Thousands of times and never used protective devices like that. I highly doubt you will work this game harder then a 24/7 location pin but it is likely you will incurr more grief or possible damage trying to attempt further service/modifications until you get more comfortable with it. Play it and have fun. Don't let people scare you into thinking this game is made of delicate glass. It a game, play it and enjoy!!

That's genuinely reassuring to hear! I'm literally at 47 plays, as I've been worried about when to wax, and when to put on Cliffies once I get them. I've heard the catapults are tough to get on, and I bought all of them, but I figured I'd place the scoops and shooter rails when I get them. At this point, with the flipper being out of whack, I'm just laying off until I head back in and fix that.

My biggest issue with raising the playfield, was not having it pulled all the way back, then going vertical. Which I assume screwed up the pivot point and messed up the playfield balance. Raising to the yellow bars all the way into the apron this time, and servcing the flipper from underneath, at least felt more secure, and raised my confidence.

It's like a step by step situation. I've never worked on my car, or my home, this much. So this is knee deep in a way I haven't experienced yet. I am grateful for all that have given advice, and posted prior on subjects like this. It's a really weird, firsthand, kind of hobby, and without other people sharing experience, I'd come much more ill equipped, so thank you for that!

#7139 2 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

It's weird. I thought I had tightened it enough, and locked it into the lower postition, but as soon as I started the game it rose again, and even higher than before.
It doesn't have much play, pressing downward as it is, unless I'd loosen the nut again. I'm going to have to loosen it, reposition, then tighten even more than it was. When I loosened the nut initially, the flipper relaxed and went just a bit past the guide hole, a little lower than the other flipper.

If it moved that easy in one play you do Not need to loosen it any further to adjust it! Simply (and slowly) with your hand adjust the flipper down to the correct position. It will be snug but you will not do any harm as its clearly loose. Make certain there is up and down play say 1/32" is don't need to be scientific just so it has up and down play. When positioned simply (carefully) raise the playfield and tighten the flipper pawl nut again only tighter then before.

#7140 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

If it moved that easy in one play you do Not need to loosen it any further to adjust it! Simply (and slowly) with your hand adjust the flipper down to the correct position. It will be snug but you will not do any harm as its clearly loose. Make certain there is up and down play say 1/32" is don't need to be scientific just so it has up and down play. When positioned simply (carefully) raise the playfield and tighten the flipper pawl nut again only tighter then before.

That makes sense. I figured it wasn't tight enough, hence the massive level of shifting once powered on. I assumed/hoped it was locked in, but once I hit start, that sucker powered up, and reared back really high.

I guess what was weird, was once I tightened the nut, the flipper seemed fiaroy tight and in place. And now, it seems in place, but only much, much, higher. It has massive give, upwards, but not much, downwards.

#7141 2 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

That makes sense. I figured it wasn't tight enough, hence the massive level of shifting once powered on. I assumed/hoped it was locked in, but once I hit start, that sucker powered up, and reared back really high.
I guess what was weird, was once I tightened the nut, the flipper seemed fiaroy tight and in place. And now, it seems in place, but only much, much, higher. It has massive give, upwards, but not much, downwards.

Ok for clarity, the (massive upwards, nothing down) I think we are talking about something else. Yes, the flipper will rotate up towards the theater and not down but I was talking about the literal up and down meaning you hold the flipper (finger tips on rubber) and lift up towards the sky and down to the playfield. It should have a very slight amount of up and down play. To much and things wear out or playfield damage. To tight and the flipper binds and will not function properly. Last advise. Consider seeing if there is Anyone in your pinball area or mechanical friend you can reach out to to give you a hand. We all have to learn sometimes and theres no shame in asking for support. Also, Please look past all the playfield protectors, Cliffy's, wax, cleaners, torpedo levels, etc. That game is perfect from the start from API and you won't even need to dust it for a year let alone worry about wear. Many simply like to fiddle and tinker more than play. This game was Built to be played and in home use you will not do Any major damage just playing it. Download the Free Pinguy app for a simple level and your done. Play it and learn later as you build confidence. At the rate you are going I would hate for you to dislike the game or Pinball in general out of frustration. Tighten that flipper and just Play Pinball!

#7142 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Also, Please look past all the playfield protectors, Cliffy's, wax, cleaners, torpedo levels, etc. That game is perfect from the start from API and you won't even need to dust it for a year let alone worry about wear. Many simply like to fiddle and tinker more than play. This game was Built to be played and in home use you will not do Any major damage just playing it. Download the Free Pinguy app for a simple level and your done. Play it and learn later as you build confidence. At the rate you are going I would hate for you to dislike the game or Pinball in general out of frustration. Tighten that flipper and just Play Pinball!

Bravo! I’ve been collecting for over 20 years, and on occasion I get freaked out too, but this is absolutely the best advice. The game is great. Set it on easy, play the hell out it and have fun. Worry about tweaking it down the road once you are used to the game and pinball in general.

#7143 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok for clarity, the (massive upwards, nothing down) I think we are talking about something else. Yes, the flipper will rotate up towards the theater and not down but I was talking about the literal up and down meaning you hold the flipper (finger tips on rubber) and lift up towards the sky and down to the playfield. It should have a very slight amount of up and down play. To much and things wear out or playfield damage. To tight and the flipper binds and will not function properly. Last advise. Consider seeing if there is Anyone in your pinball area or mechanical friend you can reach out to to give you a hand. We all have to learn sometimes and theres no shame in asking for support. Also, Please look past all the playfield protectors, Cliffy's, wax, cleaners, torpedo levels, etc. That game is perfect from the start from API and you won't even need to dust it for a year let alone worry about wear. Many simply like to fiddle and tinker more than play. This game was Built to be played and in home use you will not do Any major damage just playing it. Download the Free Pinguy app for a simple level and your done. Play it and learn later as you build confidence. At the rate you are going I would hate for you to dislike the game or Pinball in general out of frustration. Tighten that flipper and just Play Pinball!

I'd say if this doesn't work out, after another adjustment, I just might do that. I also am fortunate enough to have some really solid game areas around me, so I might head there and ask specific questions.

I'm definitely anxious regarding home ownership. I never was when simply placing half a dollar or a dollar in a machine, but now everything seems much more serious, than simple fun. Hopefully in time, that shifts. I really do appreciate your advice, and concern.

I was pretty anxious just seeing scuff marks on the playfield, and assuming/hoping that's normal for regular play.

20181117_161008 (resized).jpg20181117_161031 (resized).jpg
#7144 2 years ago

All pretty normal..You have a steel ball rolling around wood and into plastic. If you play the games you will see ball tracks and scuff marks etc. When I first got into pinball I treated them like museum pieces and wiped them down with diapers on a weekly basis. Then I realized these things are designed to be played and enjoyed. Worrying about perfection with pins will drive you crazy. Don't worry about the protectors as others have mentioned. They can be a huge challenge just to install. Quite honestly in a home use environment they aren't all that big of a necessity.

#7145 2 years ago

Also you really need a nice open ended wrench to tighten down the flippers. Adjustable wrenches aren't great for really wrenching down. The tend to slip a lot. Don't be afraid to tighten them down but good. You won't break it and it will save you having to lift the PF again and again. Welcome to the addiction and go enjoy your game.

#7146 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

but I was talking about the literal up and down meaning you hold the flipper (finger tips on rubber) and lift up towards the sky and down to the playfield. It should have a very slight amount of up and down play.

I agree with the above and in other words... can you slip a business card under the flipper? You don't want it so close to the playfield that it may be touching it.

#7147 2 years ago

There is a great thread on rebuilding flippers https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers#post-284658. It has way more info than you need, but it explains different aspects well including adjusting them..

#7148 2 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'd say if this doesn't work out, after another adjustment, I just might do that. I also am fortunate enough to have some really solid game areas around me, so I might head there and ask specific questions.
I'm definitely anxious regarding home ownership. I never was when simply placing half a dollar or a dollar in a machine, but now everything seems much more serious, than simple fun. Hopefully in time, that shifts. I really do appreciate your advice, and concern.
I was pretty anxious just seeing scuff marks on the playfield, and assuming/hoping that's normal for regular play. [quoted image][quoted image]

I felt the same way at first - my 3rd game after 2 beaters was a pristine WOZ. I ended up selling it because it felt like I could never take care of it and learn everything there is to learn. I was wrong, it didn’t take as long as I thought, and I learned by reading a lot and asking questions, just like you’re doing. Every one almost without exception has been super patient and I’ve learned tons in the past few years. I guess I’m just saying don’t give up and no question is too small or too dumb!

#7149 2 years ago

Update

Quoted from rosh:

All right, so I am not experiencing this behavior during gameplay.

The switch is clearly working, I just pulled the glass and tested it, but the game appears to be ignoring the switch when the game starts. It performs a ball search immediately (which I think means it can not find the ball). In switch test the switch is definitely triggering.

I’m not sure what to try next, I can just remove the ball obviously when pulling the glass but it would
Be a non-starter to do this every time.

can anyone else confirm?

To test, just get a ball locked in the left lock (see pic), then turn the game off. Now wait a moment and turn back on. The game should do a ball search as if it doesn’t know where the ball is.

6BCC0B94-E88A-4554-8215-6D5212120761 (resized).jpeg
#7150 2 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'm definitely anxious regarding home ownership.

Understandable.

Maybe this video will help -

Different game, same principle.

Don't be afraid to crank on that nut with a wrench. In over 40 years I've only snapped one bolt. I've also only seen one pawl that was thick and couldn't be tightened. I doubt that is your issue.

LTG : )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9.00
Playfield - Other
Hdmike mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 12177 posts in this topic. You are on page 143 of 244.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside