20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 297.
#6701 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

ATTENTION!
Houdini is now in it's final phase of production, 45 more games until we switch the line over to Oktoberfest...
If you have been waiting to get your Houdini, the time is now. Contact an authorized distributor and buy it now!

Barry,
Just curious but what will the total production number be for Houdini?

#6702 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

ATTENTION!
Houdini is now in it's final phase of production, 45 more games until we switch the line over to Oktoberfest...
If you have been waiting to get your Houdini, the time is now. Contact an authorized distributor and buy it now!

Wow - does "final" mean final forever (no more Houdinis will be made after these 45) or just final for the time being?

#6703 5 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Wow - does "final" mean final forever (no more Houdinis will be made after these 45) or just final for the time being?

Not sure what the final number will be.

It is certainly possible we could do another run down the road, but there are no specific plans for it. I don't really think it will happen, given the custom parts required. Possible that when we have production capacity if we have sufficient parts some more could be made.

#6704 5 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Barry,

That is some "top secret information". Maybe we will release that number at a later time, but either way, it isn't my place to say.

We never said it was limited to some number, so that could be an option down the road, but at this time, we want to concentrate on bringing new products to market.

#6705 5 years ago

Thanks Josh & Barry - kind of what I figured (i.e. never say never).

Glad I've already got my Houdini nonetheless. It's a bitchin' game and Oktoberfest is on my watchlist!

#6706 5 years ago

Thanks Josh & Barry - kind of what I figured (i.e. never say never).
Glad I've already got my Houdini nonetheless. It's a bitchin' game and Oktoberfest is on my watchlist!

Yes my Thanks goes to the whole AP-Team!
Hope you have enough spareparts for Houdini

Can't wait to play Oktoberfest here in Germany

#6707 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

ATTENTION!

I hope the code is going to be polished up for a few more updates. It seems good but still a bit rough.

Also I hope that special parts like stage mechs and playfields will be available for a good long time.

#6708 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I hope the code is going to be polished up for a few more updates. It seems good but still a bit rough.
Also I hope that special parts like stage mechs and playfields will be available for a good long time.

We gotcha covered. I believe Josh is gonna release an update within the next couple weeks and I am sure there would be at least 1 more update down the road.

#6709 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

We gotcha covered. I believe Josh is gonna release an update within the next couple weeks and I am sure there would be at least 1 more update down the road.

As Always.
Top notch updates and information from Barry!
I am also optimistic that down the road demand will grow and it will be time, say 2020 to build another 50 Houdini's or more.

#6710 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

That is some "top secret information". Maybe we will release that number at a later time, but either way, it isn't my place to say.

We never said it was limited to some number, so that could be an option down the road, but at this time, we want to concentrate on bringing new products to market.

How do you determinate the serial numbers of machines? Is it random?

#6711 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

How do you determinate the serial numbers of machines? Is it random?

It was an encrypted mess... You need an enigma machine to figure it out.

#6712 5 years ago

While reading the Pinball News American Pinball visit article, this stood out to me:

"American Pinball source their playfields from two different suppliers, and there are a few telltale differences between them, such as the type of pattern used to diffuse light in the inserts and the hardness of the wood."

Does anyone have details on the difference in the patterns used in the inserts? Someone earlier in the thread mentioned frosted vs jeweled. Is that the difference?

Thanks

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2018/10/17/american-pinball-visit/

#6713 5 years ago
Quoted from jacobrogers:

While reading the Pinball News American Pinball visit article, this stood out to me:
"American Pinball source their playfields from two different suppliers, and there are a few telltale differences between them, such as the type of pattern used to diffuse light in the inserts and the hardness of the wood."
Does anyone have details on the difference in the patterns used in the inserts? Someone earlier in the thread mentioned frosted vs jeweled. Is that the difference?
Thanks

I wondered about too, would love to know more. I'll also be sure to closely compare mine to the other one(s) at our upcoming local show.

#6714 5 years ago
Quoted from jacobrogers:

Thanks

After getting this news, I can no longer sleep at night....

#6715 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

It was an encrypted mess... You need an enigma machine to figure it out.

Got it covered: http://enigma.louisedade.co.uk/enigma.html

Now hand over the codes...

#6716 5 years ago

Houdini knocker sold out again...?

The credit slip is burning a hole in my pocket !

#6717 5 years ago

Well, speaking of new product, here are some half-baked ideas that might make sense for API.
- Winter Olympics. Just license the logo. Include curling, hockey, snowboarding and that shooting/skiing thing.
- New Zealand. Yup, do the whole country, with all the extreme things to do there. Bunjee jumping, mountaineering, etc. Shoot a ball into a (unlicensed) Hobbit hole. Have a subterranean playfield represent underwater caving.
- A haunted game such as Amityville Horror, or The Conjuring series (if they want to try a license). Make it scary, not funny. The last really scary pinball was Bram Stokers Dracula.

#6718 5 years ago

Barry said it was coming soon. They just had a busy expo week, and now there is a few things to catch up on.

#6719 5 years ago

I got the chimping penalty on straightjacket tonight. After a couple warnings, it was "Jackpot reduced." I was trying to cradle, with inverted flippers, by holding in the buttons.

IMG_0159_1296x (resized).jpgIMG_0159_1296x (resized).jpg
#6720 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I got the chimping penalty on straightjacket tonight. After a couple warnings, it was "Jackpot reduced." I was trying to cradle, with inverted flippers, by holding in the buttons.
[quoted image]

I do think the chimping penalty is too easy to incur particularly when you have either or both Trunk / Seance MB going too. It's still a blast and I always choose the inverted and reversed option.

#6721 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I do think the chimping penalty is too easy to incur particularly when you have either or both Trunk / Seance MB going too. It's still a blast and I always choose the inverted and reversed option.

Chimping...is that when the software thinks you are cheating by using both flippers at once?

#6722 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Chimping...is that when the software thinks you are cheating by using both flippers at once?

Yup, chimping is penalized against your jackpot score during strait jacket multiball.

#6723 5 years ago

Yup, chimping is penalized against your jackpot score during strait jacket multiball.

Ya, chimping is not fare!
I get it sometimes when im just reacting to balls.

#6724 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Ya, chimping is not fare!
I get it sometimes when im just reacting to balls.

I have the same problem. I constantly try to fire the flippers independently when there isn't even a ball there just to try to reset the 'watchdog'. Haven't figured out if it helps. Not sure what Rosh is checking to determine if someone is trying to cheat besides both flippers being used at once. Number of times total, per sec, etc.?

Never had a reduced jackpot, but been warned plenty tho.

#6725 5 years ago

Hiya everyone!

First time post, and it's a big one! I'm about ready to buy a Houdini, (my first pin ever, and hopefully one of many!) from Hemispheres Amusements, and was wondering if @Rosh, BarryJ or anyone with any direct info, knows whether current production is including the newer power supply? Just wanting to know before officially getting my feet wet!

Oh, and are there any protectors or anything I should order and install before play?

#6726 5 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!
Congratulations on your Houdini purchase.
My guess is no on power supply if distributor already has it in stock. Talk to distro and have them hook you up.
Protectors are at Little shop of games.
And I make a cool Planchette and Header.

#6727 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Hiya everyone!
First time post, and it's a big one! I'm about ready to buy a Houdini, (my first pin ever, and hopefully one of many!) from Hemispheres Amusements, and was wondering if Rosh, BarryJ or anyone with any direct info, knows whether current production is including the newer power supply? Just wanting to know before officially getting my feet wet!
Oh, and are there any protectors or anything I should order and install before play?

Get the game now as production is ending on it.

#6728 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

On multiplayer games I have noticed some ball count confusion like that, and what seems like short freezes of the software. Hasn't happened on single player. It is tough to document it.

Same thing I am experiencing too..Also only happens on 2 Player games for My Chickie Poo & I

#6729 5 years ago

I'm really appreciating this game more every time I play it. Stage alley shot is hard and I'm not sure what is meant to happen once you hit it. Are the red arrows meant to stop flashing (in general play)? And when you shoot key lane when it's flashing what does that do?

#6730 5 years ago

92 years ago the Master died on Halloween.
Happy Seance day! Take a moment today and lets play a game and bring him back from beyond.

20181030_212946 (resized).jpg20181030_212946 (resized).jpg
#6731 5 years ago

It will be up this Friday or next Monday.

#6732 5 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Stage alley shot is hard and I'm not sure what is meant to happen once you hit it.

Entering the stage that ways doubles the value of the stage mode.

Quoted from mbwalker:

Not sure what Rosh is checking to determine if someone is trying to cheat besides both flippers being used at once. Number of times total, per sec, etc.?

you should know things like that are kept secret. However, I will make a note to investigate some potential adjustments based on some of the comments here.

Quoted from wesman:

knows whether current production is including the newer power supply?

I don't know, have not been spending any time in production. I know most recently they have beed doing games headed outside the US, and I think those might have the new ones. But talking with your distributor would make sense.

Quoted from PhantomO:

Winter Olympics.

Personally, as a big sports fan, I would love to do an olympics themed game (I have actually done curling), but suspect licensing on that would be quite expensive.

Quoted from jacobrogers:

Does anyone have details on the difference

After getting this news, I can no longer sleep at night....

Quoted from bobukcat:

I wondered about too, would love to know more. I'll also be sure to closely compare mine to the other one(s) at our upcoming local show.

Funny thing is there has been more than one show where two Houdini's were sitting side by side with the different playfields and no one noticed, so I guess that tells you something right there. We have been happy with both, but at one point we had some concerns on availability which is why we brought on a second supplier. I will let the super sleuths figure out what is different and report back.

#6733 5 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

I'm really appreciating this game more every time I play it. Stage alley shot is hard and I'm not sure what is meant to happen once you hit it. Are the red arrows meant to stop flashing (in general play)? And when you shoot key lane when it's flashing what does that do?

Two big pay-offs from the key lane are opening the stage if closed via one-shot instead of needing multiple hits to the stage door after the first illusion has been performed. (The first shot to the stage door in a game opens the door, subsequent ones need multiple hits). Once the door is open hitting the stage via the stage alley rewards 2x scoring for that illusion.

If the Key Lane is flashing it's because it is for an illusion (Red). It is always the first shot for Chinese Water illusion and can be lit eventually in Bullet Catch, it will also flash to indicate Pops are lit for Handcuff. Hitting it for the illusion progresses you towards the next step in that illusion (next shot will be lit or flashing red). More details on the rules can be found here: http://tiltforums.com/t/houdini-rulesheet/3934/15

Edit: Key Lane Also Flashes to indicate hitting the target will open the stage curtain when closed, forgot about that one.

#6734 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Same thing I am experiencing too..Also only happens on 2 Player games for My Chickie Poo & I

I'm still seeing it sometimes even on single player games. I had an instance just last night were I started Trunk MB. Ball save is flashing and one ball drains very quickly but it doesn't get saved and I have two in play, I'm bricking everything and lose another ball and it saves that one leaving me with a 2 ball MB instead of three. This is just one example of stuff I see happen more often than I care to count. It can be tough to know what should be happening at times because of the random way the game decides where to release balls from.

#6735 5 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to buy the newer version of the power supply? Thanks. I can’t find it on the website.

#6736 5 years ago
Quoted from keys88:

Can anyone tell me how to buy the newer version of the power supply? Thanks. I can’t find it on the website.

https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-power-supply-upgrade

#6737 5 years ago

92 years ago the Master died on Halloween.
Happy Seance day! Take a moment today and lets play a game and bring him back from beyond.
[quoted image]

Wonder if there's any 'easter eggs' in the game that show up today.....?

#6738 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Wonder if there's any 'easter eggs' in the game that show up today.....?

Im going to look, that's deep code.
Knowing Rosh, its a possibility.

#6739 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'm still seeing it sometimes even on single player games. I had an instance just last night were I started Trunk MB. Ball save is flashing and one ball drains very quickly but it doesn't get saved and I have two in play, I'm bricking everything and lose another ball and it saves that one leaving me with a 2 ball MB instead of three. This is just one example of stuff I see happen more often than I care to count. It can be tough to know what should be happening at times because of the random way the game decides where to release balls from.

This has happened to me also.

Quoted from rosh:

Entering the stage that ways doubles the value of the stage mode.

Sweet! I guess I’m clanking that shoot too often for it to be effective more often than not. Will have to look at maybe adjusting it a little.

Quoted from bobukcat:

Two big pay-offs from the key lane are opening the stage if closed via one-shot instead of needing multiple hits to the stage door after the first illusion has been performed. (The first shot to the stage door in a game opens the door, subsequent ones need multiple hits). Once the door is open hitting the stage via the stage alley rewards 2x scoring for that illusion.
If the Key Lane is flashing it's because it is for an illusion (Red). It is always the first shot for Chinese Water illusion and can be lit eventually in Bullet Catch, it will also flash to indicate Pops are lit for Handcuff. Hitting it for the illusion progresses you towards the next step in that illusion (next shot will be lit or flashing red). More details on the rules can be found here: http://tiltforums.com/t/houdini-rulesheet/3934/15

Thanks for that. I’ve done it once or twice before and I’ve seen a 2x on the screen and I thought I clicked with it being that. It’s just that the shot will bounce around in that small area (same with the key lane shot) more often than going all the way through to the stage. Is it an adjustment or just my poor shooting? I’m guessing the later...

#6740 5 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!
Congratulations on your Houdini purchase.
My guess is no on power supply if distributor already has it in stock. Talk to distro and have them hook you up.
Protectors are at Little shop of games.
And I make a cool Planchette and Header.

Those are really nice, and thanks for the advice on the protectors. I'll definitely consider the planchette down the road a bit!

Are the protectors pretty self explanatory for installation? Definitely a must for a new table?

Get the game now as production is ending on it.

Yeah, I kind of figured now was a better time than down the road. It was between this and the Hobbit for my first table, and from what I'm hearing, that will be around a bit longer than this, and maybe had a larger production.

Quoted from rosh:

I don't know, have not been spending any time in production. I know most recently they have beed doing games headed outside the US, and I think those might have the new ones. But talking with your distributor would make sense.

Thanks for the direct info, and all of your hard work on this table! He mentioned to me that only if I had a lot of tables and bad wattage, that this might be an issue. I might just order the power supply for down the road, and grab that sweet topper with the credit!

#6741 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Those are really nice, and thanks for the advice on the protectors. I'll definitely consider the planchette down the road a bit!
Are the protectors pretty self explanatory for installation? Definitely a must for a new table?

Yeah, I kind of figured now was a better time than down the road. It was between this and the Hobbit for my first table, and from what I'm hearing, that will be around a bit longer than this, and maybe had a larger production.

Thanks for the direct info, and all of your hard work on this table! He mentioned to me that only if I had a lot of tables and bad wattage, that this might be an issue. I might just order the power supply for down the road, and grab that sweet topper with the credit!

Definitely get it as a preventive measure. And though I know none of us would EVER think of selling our Houdini.. for those with small collections if you ever do need to sell, a good buyer will ask if you have the supplementary power supply.

#6742 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Definitely get it as a preventive measure. And though I know none of us would EVER think of selling our Houdini.. for those with small collections if you ever do need to sell, a good buyer will ask if you have the supplementary power supply.

I've been wondering about that. I've never had any power issues with my Houdini. Should I buy the power supply for the unlikely event of a sale down the road?

#6743 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I've been wondering about that. I've never had any power issues with my Houdini. Should I buy the power supply for the unlikely event of a sale down the road?

It will come up, is all I’m saying. And then the seller is the guy who “well, I never had any issues...” and the buyer gets it home and his power Situation is different, and...

#6744 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It will come up, is all I’m saying. And then the seller is the guy who “well, I never had any issues...” and the buyer gets it home and his power Situation is different, and...

Thanks for the tip! I wanted to get the topper anyway, so that can be bought using the credit, plus extra.

Are these plastic protectors useful if I'm getting the basic, non catapult, Cliffy set?

https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/playfield-plastics/houdini-8-piece-easy-break-plastic-protectors/

I'm so new to this game, I'm just not really sure what the best preventative measures are.

Oh, and I did this Houdini painting twenty years ago in art school. Figured it appropriate to post for today, of all days!

PSX_20181031_153902 (resized).jpgPSX_20181031_153902 (resized).jpg
#6745 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Thanks for the tip! I wanted to get the topper anyway, so that can be bought using the credit, plus extra.
Are these plastic protectors useful if I'm getting the basic, non catapult, Cliffy set?
https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/playfield-plastics/houdini-8-piece-easy-break-plastic-protectors/
I'm so new to this game, I'm just not really sure what the best preventative measures are.
Oh, and I did this Houdini painting twenty years ago in art school. Figured it appropriate to post for today, of all days! [quoted image]

I bought the entire Cliffy set and can see the benefits of the catapult protectors. Lots of dropping into place. Im thinking the protectors address different aspects of the game’s vulnerabilities.

However, a couple of must have items in my opinion that do absolutely nothing to protect the game are the Modfather drink holder and the ball launcher/plunger from Mods for Your Pinball. Both really well made and they look great.

If you don’t have the shaker motor, that’s very nice. I’ve played with and without, and it’s really a good addition. Another good use of your credit. In for a penny...

Really cool painting by the way. Thanks for sharing.

#6746 5 years ago

A little tidbit of info since it's Oct 31, the day of Houdini's death...

Magic points: 52 His age of passing

Magic points: 1926 The year of his death.

#6747 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I bought the entire Cliffy set and can see the benefits of the catapult protectors. Lots of dropping into place. Im thinking the protectors address different aspects of the game’s vulnerabilities.
However, a couple of must have items in my opinion that do absolutely nothing to protect the game are the Modfather drink holder and the ball launcher/plunger from Mods for Your Pinball. Both really well made and they look great.
If you don’t have the shaker motor, that’s very nice. I’ve played with and without, and it’s really a good addition. Another good use of your credit. In for a penny...
Really cool painting by the way. Thanks for sharing.

I know I saw a pretty cool drink holder when I was window shopping the Hobbit! Thanks for the headsup, I'll definitely look into those two suggestions!

I do have a shaker motor installed, I was told from the factory, there's an installation fee for that, and the art blades, pre-installed. Is that accurate info?

And thanks for the kind words, figured Houdini deserves all the send-ups on Halloween no less!

#6748 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I know I saw a pretty cool drink holder when I was window shopping the Hobbit! Thanks for the headsup, I'll definitely look into those two suggestions!
I do have a shaker motor installed, I was told from the factory, there's an installation fee for that, and the art blades, pre-installed. Is that accurate info?
And thanks for the kind words, figured Houdini deserves all the send-ups on Halloween no less!

Mine came with the shaker, art blades, and magic glass. As I recall, I was charged an additional $300 for the three items, there were no additional charges for installation. I’ve heard that installing the art blades is pretty difficult, so I was happy to have them do it.
All in all I’m very happy with the purchase. Game looks awesome - especially with the cupholder

#6749 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Mine came with the shaker, art blades, and magic glass. As I recall, I was charged an additional $300 for the three items, there were no additional charges for installation. I’ve heard that installing the art blades is pretty difficult, so I was happy to have them do it.
All in all I’m very happy with the purchase. Game looks awesome - especially with the cupholder

I've heard that too, that a wet installation is best, and I'm not too keen on that myself. I'm getting charged $7450, payment in full/via check for blades and motor pre-installed from AP, (No magic glass) and shipping with full coverage insurance, and being switched to a larger shipping pallet. Does that sound pretty normal?

Now I really have to check out that cup holder!

#6750 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

If you use the wet method, installing art blades is dead simple and very forgiving. The dry method is the one that will likely leave most first-timers in tears, especially with the paper-like art blades Houdini has (which have been changed for Oktoberfest, thank god!), so never try a dry art blade install.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 135 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/135?hl=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.