20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 134 of 297.
#6651 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

if manufacturers (of nearly any product) waited for code to be completely bug-free you'd see one new product every 25 years

OK you guys win. I'll buy the racy version of OF when it comes out if they don't inflate the girl's bust measurements ( - :

In the day we had specific "defects per 1,000 hour" metrics we had to meet before we could move forward. It didn't take us 25 years to come out with products, but it took real time that made management upset because we were supposed to obsolete our own products to stay competitive. All this code went into ROM so turning it was a nightmare. Those days are long gone.

It is encouraging to see the patience that some of you converts have on this one. EM's require tons of patience too, so must be a pinball thing.

I'll go back to yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN" now and wait for Heidi to show what she's got.

#6652 5 years ago

I must have missed some of this, all I see is "ignored user post" and "ignored user comment" lol.

I encourage others to use this powerful feature

#6653 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Don't release it before it is thoroughly tested and ready.

Are you over in the Stern thread basing them for code updates? My KISS is still waiting for complete code. The Houdini code was 100X better than my KISS code on day 1 (and I have machine #98). You're being a troll. Ignore the troll.

#6654 5 years ago

Regarding Barry, Josh and API:

They have been AMAZING!
The level of professionalism, detailed help and humor has made them among the best (if not the best) start-up company in the business. The games are solidly built and beautifully crafted with enticing art and imagination.

You dont get a "cookie cutter" rehash of an old game or theme with these people. You get a unique experience that's above par.

I honestly believe they are on a vertical trajectory to be the among the best.

It has been an absolute joy to be a part of their endeavor as a customer.

Houdini is a wonderful exciting deep game that always brings me back to experience it over and over again.

Oktoberfest looks like pure FUN! I cant wait to play it at TPF.

Thanks guys for a great experience.

#6655 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

They have been AMAZING!
The level of professionalism, detailed help and humor has made them among the best (if not the best) start-up company in the business. The games are solidly built and beautifully crafted with enticing art and imagination.
You dont get a "cookie cutter" rehash of an old game or theme with these people. You get a unique experience that's above par.
Houdini is a wonderful exciting deep game that always brings me back to experience it over and over again.

I can say from all of us here at API, Thanks for the kind words.. Pinball manufacturing is certainly a roller coaster ride, lots of ups and downs. No pun intended. But we are ALL dedicated in what we do and always looking to improve and push the boundaries of pinball.

#6656 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

You're being a troll. Ignore the troll.

My deal is to learn and I'm learning. The names people use to settle arguments in their heads include troll, liberal (in western CO anyway), hyperbolic and others I'm forgetting right now. I also think I see some of those "false 'Yelp-like' reviews" on Pinside. What are those called?

I agree that putting stuff on ignore mode is useful but talking about it isn't.

Back to the regularly scheduled program, keep flipping!

#6657 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

I can say from all of us here at API, Thanks for the kind words.. Pinball manufacturing is certainly a roller coaster ride, lots of ups and downs. No pun intended. But we are ALL dedicated in what we do and always looking to improve and push the boundaries of pinball.

Crap! It’s stuff like this that keep me from selling my game! What a drag...

#6658 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

I am disappointed with what AP has done so far and hope they do better in the future. Houdini is nice in some ways and a failure in others.
This is a time where no one or no thing is held accountable. I guess we're supposed to ignore negative things nowadays.

Houdini has its faults and certainly its share of detractors - for various stated reasons. AP has acknowledged and addressed numerous issues with the game. Haters are apparently gonna hate though.

Most Houdini owners seem to appreciate the game for the total (theme, layout, features, artwork, etc.) pinball package it delivers and feel that its attributes far outweigh its minuses. As an owner of primarily Stern and Bally games, I appreciate the different gameplay experience that Houdini provides. The bottom line for me (on any game) though is that it is fun to play. Warts and all.

#6659 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

My deal is to learn and I'm learning. The names people use to settle arguments in their heads include troll, liberal (in western CO anyway), hyperbolic and others I'm forgetting right now. I also think I see some of those "false 'Yelp-like' reviews" on Pinside. What are those called?
I agree that putting stuff on ignore mode is useful but talking about it isn't.
Back to the regularly scheduled program, keep flipping!

You’re right, people should have thicker skin and accept constructive criticism!

It’s kind of like my saying that your Pinremote product had the aesthetic of a hacked-together Radio Shack remote from 1982 or that your logo and the graphics shown on the sample screenshot are amateurish, at best.

No doubt, you’ll appreciate that feedback since it’s offered up altruistically and only to help further your next attempt at a product.

#6660 5 years ago

They have been AMAZING!

Second this!
Josh, Barry, Jim, Joe x2, Dhavel....stand up guys who have faith and courage to bring us new and exciting pinball games. ( Ive left a few out, but this stands for the Whole API team, including those on the floor building our games.)
Houdini Rocks, hope to have my Oktoberfest by Christmas!

#6661 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

But we are ALL dedicated in what we do and always looking to improve and push the boundaries of pinball.

If you see them at a show. Definitely talk to them. They are a great team and enthusiastic about their work.

LTG : )

#6662 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

OK you guys win. I'll buy the racy version of OF when it comes out if they don't inflate the girl's bust measurements ( - :
In the day we had specific "defects per 1,000 hour" metrics we had to meet before we could move forward. It didn't take us 25 years to come out with products, but it took real time that made management upset because we were supposed to obsolete our own products to stay competitive. All this code went into ROM so turning it was a nightmare. Those days are long gone.
It is encouraging to see the patience that some of you converts have on this one. EM's require tons of patience too, so must be a pinball thing.
I'll go back to yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN" now and wait for Heidi to show what she's got.

Clearly you are still bitter they didn’t buy your product. Get over it!!!

#6663 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

I am disappointed with what AP has done so far and hope they do better in the future. Houdini is nice in some ways and a failure in others.
This is a time where no one or no thing is held accountable. I guess we're supposed to ignore negative things nowadays.

Good god dude. Just go elsewhere.

#6664 5 years ago

How long are you all waiting on the Cliffy set? I'm at 6 weeks, getting a bit antsy.

#6665 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

How long are you all waiting on the Cliffy set? I'm at 6 weeks, getting a bit antsy.

Took me about that. He’s a one man show and very busy after the shows.

#6666 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

AP - do an excellent job on O.F. Don't release it before it is thoroughly tested and ready. Don't update the code 40 times after it is shipping.
All the above could have been worded in the positive sense for O.F. but I feel the above applies to your first machine.

You're ridiculous. The Houdini code hasn't been updated more than 5-6 times since it shipped and even if it was 40 times it would mean they are at least improving/working on it and not abandoning it.

#6667 5 years ago

Just wanted to add that the new upgraded power supply I got this week has made the catapult solid and consistent.

So much better. Thank you API!

#6668 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Just wanted to add that the new upgraded power supply I got this week has made the catapult solid and consistent.
So much better. Thank you API!

And the flippers!

#6669 5 years ago

I need to fix and issue when I hit right loop.
When you hit right loop, on which flipper it is supposed to come, left or right?
I think it is left flipper but need confirmation. Thanks

#6670 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I need to fix and issue when I hit right loop.
When you hit right loop, on which flipper it is supposed to come, left or right?
I think it is left flipper but need confirmation. Thanks

Left flipper mostly for me, however i make the loop a lot on a rebound off the right during multiballs.
I did however open up the entrance 1/4" by moving the seance targets on the left and right, so its pretty easy to hit now.

#6671 5 years ago

Going to the theater to see Houdini in Terror Island tonight. It's not my favorite film mode, but it will be interesting to see on big screen with live music, followed by some magic acts. No booing allowed

hou (resized).JPGhou (resized).JPG
#6672 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

You're ridiculous. The Houdini code hasn't been updated more than 5-6 times since it shipped and even if it was 40 times it would mean they are at least improving/working on it and not abandoning it.

It's been updated at least a dozen times, but nowhere near 40. Sometimes it was updated twice in one WEEK. I have 9 official releases still saved to my computer, and that's not nearly all of them because there were a bunch of betas I didn't save.

But I'd much rather have MORE releases than less. Things like Ghostbusters with serious bugs that make the Champion scorekeeping useless, or eternal multiball bug on Game of Thrones left that way for years is just lazy. Josh is very responsive to serious bugs found. Probably the MOST responsive in pinball at the moment.

#6673 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's been updated at least a dozen times, but nowhere near 40. Sometimes it was updated twice in one WEEK. I have 9 official releases still saved to my computer, and that's not nearly all of them because there were a bunch of betas I didn't save.
But I'd much rather have MORE releases than less. Things like Ghostbusters with serious bugs that make the Champion scorekeeping useless, or eternal multiball bug on Game of Thrones left that way for years is just lazy. Josh is very responsive to serious bugs found. Probably the MOST responsive in pinball at the moment.

Ted Estes is giving him a run for his money with the Hobbit and Dialed In updates lately

#6674 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Going to the theater to see Houdini in Terror Island tonight. It's not my favorite film mode, but it will be interesting to see on big screen with live music, followed by some magic acts. No booing allowed

Interesting choice they made to go with Terror Island. You will certainly see how the movie inspired the mode.

#6675 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

It's not my favorite film mode

So which is your favorite and why? and which is number 2 and why (since I have pretty good guess at what most people would pick as number 1)

#6676 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ted Estes is giving him a run for his money with the Hobbit and Dialed In updates lately

Yes, JJP also has a great track record (2 long years of WoZ lockup bug aside) of updating and improving their game software.

#6678 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

So which is your favorite and why? and which is number 2 and why (since I have pretty good guess at what most people would pick as number 1)

I like smashing the ice and knocking out Q, in that order. The reasons are that the images are interesting and the shots are fun. This is the second Houdini film they have shown at Halloween time, so TI was not their first chosen. Since I havent seen any, I am looking forward to it.

#6679 5 years ago

Oktoberfester plays Houdini!

20181020_221202 (resized).jpg20181020_221202 (resized).jpg
#6680 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

"Man from Beyond", one of the best modes in pinball.

#6681 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

"Man from Beyond", one of the best modes in pinball.

Second that.

#6682 5 years ago

It would be nice if Josh can implement deeper/more settings for sounds.

The Indian needle trick sounds are way to loud ( to heavy for my ears) and the background sounds / music are not loud enough.

It would be cool when we can adjust sounds also via Software like jjp and stern offer the settings.

Hope too See it an update

#6683 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

You didn't get a little piece of paper with a QR code on it? That had your code on it.. For any reason it is lost, email me at [email protected] with your name and s/n of your Houdini and I will email you your code!

I found it! It had worked its way under the box flap. Thanks all set.

#6684 5 years ago

Anyone wanting a Oktoberfest doors are open to pre order.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/gap/feedback

PLACE ORDER HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.greatamericanpinball.com/product-page/oktoberfest-pinball-machine-depoist

Thanks

Great American Pinball

oktoberfest-pinball-machine (resized).pngoktoberfest-pinball-machine (resized).png
#6685 5 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

Anyone wanting a Oktoberfest doors are open to pre order.
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/gap/feedback
PLACE ORDER HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.greatamericanpinball.com/product-page/oktoberfest-pinball-machine-depoist
Thanks
Great American Pinball[quoted image]

We know it, you post your add on each Oktoberfest thread...

#6686 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

We know it, you post your add on each Oktoberfest thread...

Is there an alternate thread he was supposed to post on? ALL of the distributors are simply letting everyone know the game is available to order no harm or foul.

#6687 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Is there an alternate thread he was supposed to post on? ALL of the distributors are simply letting everyone know the game is available to order no harm or foul.

Yes, there is market section for this.

#6688 5 years ago

I received my power supply upgrade yesterday and got to nearly the last install step only to realize one of the connectors on the wiring harness is not assembled correctly. It has one socket in the connector to the old P/S that should be four pins.

The impressive customer service I'm used to from A.P. did not disappoint though, Barry respond to my e-mail on a Saturday night and told me he'd ship me a new harness first thing Monday, in the meantime I'm going to hot-wire the new P/S to the service outlet so I can see how it affects the game.

#6689 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I was referring to "official" releases only, not the beta ones thou. Just curious if Josh is the only one writing code or the new guy they brought in from Heighway pinball is coding too. (Can't remember his name at the moment).

#6690 5 years ago

I’m Joe Schober. No, I’m totally focused on Oktoberfest, not doing any Houdini work.

#6691 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I’m Joe Schober. No, I’m totally focused on Oktoberfest, not doing any Houdini work.

Octoberfest looks to be pretty great. Love Houdini, but any potential ETA by Josh on a code update to resolve Master Magician?

Just curious

#6692 5 years ago

Shaker is installed and working. But during multiball, a catapult shot came up short...first time since power upgrade went in. Will have to watch it.

#6693 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Octoberfest looks to be pretty great. Love Houdini, but any potential ETA by Josh on a code update to resolve Master Magician?
Just curious

He said on the last page, "Quick update on the code that has been in beta test. I am working on a couple of bugs that were identified in last few days, and an enhancement or two, that I want to get into this release. I hope to be done with the last bits shortly."

So I think that means it's coming soon.

#6694 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

He said on the last page, "Quick update on the code that has been in beta test. I am working on a couple of bugs that were identified in last few days, and an enhancement or two, that I want to get into this release. I hope to be done with the last bits shortly."
So I think that means it's coming soon.

Sweet!

#6695 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Shaker is installed and working. But during multiball, a catapult shot came up short...first time since power upgrade went in. Will have to watch it.

I had that happen also.
I just increased it by 1 or 2 and it's been solid.

#6696 5 years ago

I had that happen also.
I just increased it by 1 or 2 and it's been solid.

It is at 27 now. I can try 28, but dont want to dent the trunk.

#6697 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

It is at 27 now. I can try 28, but dont want to dent the trunk.

Mines at 27 also.
It missed once early on, but never again.

It's very stable now.

The code however...

I just had to reboot.
Curtain stuck closed.
2 ball multiballs.
5 ball multiballs etc.

Rebooted all is well in the world.

Sometimes it loses track of an opto or something and never figures it out until a reboot.

I dont thonk it's a hardware issue but I'll check for opto looseness or weirdness.

#6698 5 years ago

Mines at 27 also.
It missed once early on, but never again.
It's very stable now.
The code however...
I just had to reboot.
Curtain stuck closed.
2 ball multiballs.
5 ball multiballs etc.
Rebooted all is well in the world.
Sometimes it loses track of an opto or something and never figures it out until a reboot.
I dont thonk it's a hardware issue but I'll check for opto looseness or weirdness.

On multiplayer games I have noticed some ball count confusion like that, and what seems like short freezes of the software. Hasn't happened on single player. It is tough to document it.

#6699 5 years ago

I've had my Houdini for several weeks now & haven't had any issues. Besides a few noticeable code glitches, the machine plays very well. Looking forward to another code update & Oktoberfest.

#6700 5 years ago

ATTENTION!

Houdini is now in it's final phase of production, 45 more games until we switch the line over to Oktoberfest...

If you have been waiting to get your Houdini, the time is now. Contact an authorized distributor and buy it now!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 134 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/134?hl=konjurer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.