20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 130 of 297.
#6451 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I succeed the first one quite easily...but the second is way harder for me. Never succeeded it yet! I think I get an issue with the right orbit. When I do this shot perfectly, the ball gets maximum speed and then at the end of the wireform guide (so left side) the ball path is like slightly deviated and goes SDTM. I really get the feeling that at the end of the wireform there is something wrong. However, my game is well leveled from side to side. I think I have 6,3-6,4° pitch
Otherwise the time between first and second shot is very very short. So no control on the left flipper and short ball time to succeed the second shot make this combo impossible to do right now for me.
I don’t know if you get this issue when the ball gets lot of speed in the right orbit?

It is not a time thing, shots just have to be consecutive without a different shot/switch hit, which resets the combo.

Once you get feel for orbit to scoop, getting through three is not that hard.

Most movie modes (NOT man from beyond) fit nicely with combos, so that is a good time to give the combos more attention.

If it goes around orbit and then STDM, it needs to be adjusted, It should hit the flipper.

#6452 5 years ago

Somehow I can't navigate to this page from the API site. It is where all the good stuff is. If you are having trouble too, bookmark this https://store.american-pinball.com/products/

#6453 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

It is not a time thing, shots just have to be consecutive without a different shot/switch hit, which resets the combo.
Once you get feel for orbit to scoop, getting through three is not that hard.
Most movie modes (NOT man from beyond) fit nicely with combos, so that is a good time to give the combos more attention.
If it goes around orbit and then STDM, it needs to be adjusted, It should hit the flipper.

Thanks Rosh, i hadn’t noticed that hitting another target was resetting the combo.
About right orbit shot, it depends on the speed, if I hit perfectly the ball gets really fast and then goes SDTM.
What do I need to adjust? Playfield pitch and /or Coil power? Wireform?
Which pf pitch do you advise?
Thanks

#6454 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

What do I need to adjust? Playfield pitch and /or Coil power? Wireform?
Which pf pitch do you advise?

All of it.

Factory PF pitch is 6.0 degrees, mine played slightly floaty at 6 so I upped it about 1.5 degrees.
Try your flippers at 22 or 24 and see if the ball slows down a bit.

#6455 5 years ago

Changed the cold white stripe led against an orange/yellow stripe. Looks a bit antique now and fits perfect to theme...

Sorry for tha Bad quality pics...

IMG_20181013_220025 (resized).jpgIMG_20181013_220025 (resized).jpgIMG_20181013_220304 (resized).jpgIMG_20181013_220304 (resized).jpgIMG_20181013_220448 (resized).jpgIMG_20181013_220448 (resized).jpg
#6456 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Changed the cold white stripe led against an orange/yellow stripe. Looks a bit antique now and fits perfect to theme...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great!

I think I want to do the same or similar.

#6457 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Looks great!
I think I want to do the same or similar.

Looks way better in persona. Will try to Make a picture with a better camera tomorrow

#6458 5 years ago

My theater door wasn’t opening — I forced it open while in test mode a few times and got it running again. Anyone experience this? Seems like a broken motor is in my future :/

#6459 5 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

My theater door wasn’t opening — I forced it open while in test mode a few times and got it running again. Anyone experience this? Seems like a broken motor is in my future :/

Did you run through the calibration for it in the service menu?

I had it stuck once. The calibration seems to have fixed it.

#6460 5 years ago

Apologies if feedback has already been provided on either of there issues, but anyone with either of these issues....

1 - trunk no longer lighting when lock ball is thrown into it (play field is dark)
2 - installed shaker per instructions, set to medium in settings and not working at all (during game play or in test)

Running 18.8.5 which appears to be the latest code.

Thanks in advance!

#6461 5 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Apologies if feedback has already been provided on either of there issues, but anyone with either of these issues....
1 - trunk no longer lighting when lock ball is thrown into it (play field is dark)
2 - installed shaker per instructions, set to medium in settings and not working at all (during game play or in test)
Thanks in advance!

1. The LED in the spotlight diagonally across from the trunk likely either came loose or broke. Try turning it on in test mode as you press it into the socket. If that doesn't work, remove the LED light and examine the leads on the base. Are they crunched to the side? Missing? You may be able to just adjust them. You can use this trick to make sure the bulb stays in the socket:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-led-bulbs-flashers-that-fall-out-of-spotlights

2 - pictures of where you have the shaker connected to the board in the cabinet needed. You likely have it on the wrong set of pins. There are like 4 or 5 in very close proximity.

#6462 5 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Thanks in advance!

Can you post pics of the shaker installation, particularly the hook up location and wires.

This would be helpful.

Also check for any blown fuses in case they were blown during shaker installation.

#6463 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:Changed the cold white stripe led against an orange/yellow stripe. Looks a bit antique now and fits perfect to theme...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Are you actually changing the lights, or putting in some sort of a plastic gel to alter the color? Looks very good. Awaiting delivery on mine. Anxious to check out how that lighting is actually hooked up.

#6464 5 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Are you actually changing the lights, or putting in some sort of a plastic gel to alter the color? Looks very good. Awaiting delivery on mine. Anxious to check out how that lighting is actually hooked up.

You can get a warm white LED strip and just change out the cool white one that's in there. It's just a few bucks for a strip on Ebay.

#6465 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

1. The LED in the spotlight diagonally across from the trunk likely either came loose or broke. Try turning it on in test mode as you press it into the socket. If that doesn't work, remove the LED light and examine the leads on the base. Are they crunched to the side? Missing? You may be able to just adjust them. You can use this trick to make sure the bulb stays in the socket:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-led-bulbs-flashers-that-fall-out-of-spotlights
2 - pictures of where you have the shaker connected to the board in the cabinet needed. You likely have it on the wrong set of pins. There are like 4 or 5 in very close proximity.

Thanks - I should’ve looked close for that LED - easy fix there!

Here are pictures of the connection, which I believe is the correct location per instructions.

Thanks again

7B219DA3-5F3F-4980-8B6D-2DCA04B877A5 (resized).jpeg7B219DA3-5F3F-4980-8B6D-2DCA04B877A5 (resized).jpegC100B166-F669-4F94-B1C4-9EC9FB0C3366 (resized).jpegC100B166-F669-4F94-B1C4-9EC9FB0C3366 (resized).jpeg
#6466 5 years ago

Can you post pics of the shaker installation, particularly the hook up location and wires.
This would be helpful.
Also check for any blown fuses in case they were blown during shaker installation.

Thanks - just posted the pics

#6467 5 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Thanks - I should’ve looked close for that LED - easy fix there!
Here are pictures of the connection, which I believe is the correct location per instructions.
Thanks again
[quoted image][quoted image]

Did you turn the shaker motor ON in the settings? The setting BEFORE shaker strength (shaker usage, I think), there's a setting for shaker on/off that must be ON as well.

#6468 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you turn the shaker motor ON in the settings? The setting BEFORE shaker strength (shaker usage, I think), there's a setting for shaker on/off that must be ON as well.

Yep it’s the one right above the usage setting - shaker is set to on and usage medium

#6469 5 years ago

New power supply working great. Catapult shot to trunk is now 100%. Flippers dropped slightly and coils at 23. Using purple Super Bands on flippers. Lower cat is 28. Upper cat is 19. Scoop is 7. Upper vuk is 10. Everything in game is working great. I can repeatedly make all the shots. I did 5 consecutive ramp shots. The most I ever did on any of my pins. Mostly just playing Houdini now!

#6470 5 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Yep it’s the one right above the usage setting - shaker is set to on and usage medium

Now check the two fuses on the board you plugged it into.

#6471 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Looks way better in persona. Will try to Make a picture with a better camera tomorrow

I can change the GI bulbs in the back, but not sure about the led strip. It seems tightly wired the the back wall of the playfield. Hard to see how to disconnect it.

#6472 5 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

... Using purple Super Bands on flippers...

How's those working out? I've wondered what the flipper 'rubber' actually was given the purple color. Can you even get rubber in purple? On a related note, I was thinking of swapping out some of the black rubber for purple Titan's.

#6473 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Now check the two fuses on the board you plugged it into.

Well that could be the problem but am surprised it’s not impacting anything else on the game - if you look at my bottom photo above the top left fuse F2 appears to be missing altogether.

#6474 5 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Well that could be the problem but am surprised it’s not impacting anything else on the game - if you look at my bottom photo above the top left fuse F2 appears to be missing altogether.

It's supposed to be missing there.

There are 2 power feeds.
If you plugged into the wrong one you get no power, the fuse is missing.

Feel free to add it in though, the second feed can be used for accessories.

#6475 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I can change the GI bulbs in the back, but not sure about the led strip. It seems tightly wired the the back wall of the playfield. Hard to see how to disconnect it.

Its easy you have 3 screws in the backpanel.
Then you have a cover (black) which is between the backbanel and the metalbar with the stripe attached.

For peel off the stripe from the metalbar, the cables ar not to tight.

The yellow wire is 12v (+), the yellow/black is (-). You can cut it directly at the beginning oft the led stripe.

The whole change was 10-15 minutes and very easy. I used 2 wago clamps for easy install without soldering.

#6476 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

How's those working out? I've wondered what the flipper 'rubber' actually was given the purple color. Can you even get rubber in purple? On a related note, I was thinking of swapping out some of the black rubber for purple Titan's.

I think the originals are Perfect Play brand. I use Super Bands in all my pins. I love the red ones in my FH. They play different but I like them. Try them on one and see if you like them. They are difficult to get on the flipper. I start at the back and use a small screw driver to stretch the front over. My buddy always says something about them . I use all SB post covers and post bumpers also.

#6477 5 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I think the originals are Perfect Play brand...

So do you think those are those rubber or silicone, etc?

#6478 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

So do you think those are those rubber or silicone, etc?

The SB are silicone. The PP are also silicone but a different formula.

#6479 5 years ago

It's supposed to be missing there.
There are 2 power feeds.
If you plugged into the wrong one you get no power, the fuse is missing.
Feel free to add it in though, the second feed can be used for accessories.

Ok - it’s not needed for shaker?

#6480 5 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Ok - it’s not needed for shaker?

No.

LTG : )

#6481 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No.

Ok thanks...I emailed AP as well to see why shaker isn’t working.

#6482 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Somehow I can't navigate to this page from the API site. It is where all the good stuff is. If you are having trouble too, bookmark this https://store.american-pinball.com/products/

I know..

Click on the store tab, at the top center click on "All Products".

Then the sweet stuff is there.

#6483 5 years ago

Barry tell those boys to chop chop on the knockers.
Ordered my power supply and I would love to get a knocker with my credit.

#6484 5 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

We had the same thing, and it ended up being dirty optos near the stage

#6485 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Barry tell those boys to chop chop on the knockers.
Ordered my power supply and I would love to get a knocker with my credit.

Will do..Those slackers! Ha

#6486 5 years ago

I think we need a roller over switch here for some points. Much harder to do than the official milkcan shot.

20181014_234110 (resized).jpg20181014_234110 (resized).jpg
#6487 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I think we need a roller over switch here for some points. Much harder to do than the official milkcan shot.
[quoted image]

Tough place to add a mini post.
Maybe warp the plastic down towards the playfield 2 degrees?

#6488 5 years ago

After watching a magician recreate Houdini's upside down straightjacket escape, it occurs to me that when we cross our arms to work inverted flippers, we are mimicking Houdini's inverted arms-across-chest position in the escape. I thought this was just a cheat move. But Josh and Joe must have had this in mind, those wily geniuses.

2334b520779dd7cdfbb9e8930b2643db (resized).jpg2334b520779dd7cdfbb9e8930b2643db (resized).jpg
#6489 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

After watching a magician recreate Houdini's upside down straightjacket escape, it occurs to me that when we cross our arms to work inverted flippers, we are mimicking Houdini's inverted arms-across-chest position in the escape. I thought this was just a cheat move. But Josh and Joe must have had this in mind, those wily geniuses.
[quoted image]

Not to mention the strait jacket trick is easier upside down. Yes, I've done it in both positions. Been about 10 years though.

#6490 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

[quoted image]

I watched some of Houdini on Netflix (2 episode series). It was really interesting to see the a lot of tidbits that were incorporated into the game, including some of the background music. Flick is very entertaining so far.

#6491 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

[quoted image]

Um. Yes... how did it take this long to come up with this!

#6492 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I've done it in both positions.

TMI

#6493 5 years ago

I’ve told this before, but when workingn on game rules I was thinking about what to do for straitjacket, and as crossed my arms like in a straitjacket it was pretty obvious that reversed flippers would be the way to go. But then I was thinking how he did the escape upside down, and I knew I could not hang the player upside down, so that is when I (with some assistance from José Cuervo) came up with inverting the flippers, figuring that is the closest I could get to upside down

#6494 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I’ve told this before, but when workingn on game rules I was thinking about what to do for straitjacket, and as crossed my arms like in a straitjacket it was pretty obvious that reversed flippers would be the way to go. But then I was thinking how he did the escape upside down, and I knew I could not hang the player upside down, so that is when I (with some assistance from José Cuervo) came up with inverting the flippers, figuring that is the closest I could get to upside down

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Um. Yes... how did it take this long to come up with this!

Ah, but the first version of the software did not seem to have the "Cross your arms now" callout, so I assumed that was a player cheat and I didn't make the connection to wearing the jacket. I'm slow....

#6495 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Ah, but the first version of the software did not seem to have the "Cross your arms now" callout, so I assumed that was a player cheat and I didn't make the connection to wearing the jacket. I'm slow....

Gotcha! I think you are right about that! Pretty innovative ...will Oktoberfest feature a snap-your-suspenders mode?

#6496 5 years ago
Quoted from Drew13:

We had the same thing, and it ended up being dirty optos near the stage

Thank you, I’ll take a look!

#6497 5 years ago

My trunk shot went from being perfect to consistently going to far to the left. Power is perfect but direction is off. I can't see any possibility to adjust for direction?

#6498 5 years ago

Are there plans for a headphone kit for Houdini?

#6499 5 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

My trunk shot went from being perfect to consistently going to far to the left. Power is perfect but direction is off. I can't see any possibility to adjust for direction?

Same here, but it's going to the right.

#6500 5 years ago

I played Houdini for the first time last night - I was impressed! The game looked good overall, I really liked the LCD presentation, and was just all around pretty interesting.

More traditional perhaps in its layout, but that didn't make it any less fun to play. Shots were tight, after two games I was aiming them well enough to be satisfying. The game seemed well thought out, and the presentation seems polished. Only played a few games, but just figured I'd give some thumbs up to those who own them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 130 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/130?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.