20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 129 of 297.
#6401 5 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I plan on ordering the upgrade power supply, but I have been working on another issue I am hoping some folks can chime in on:
Direct shots to the stage usually bounce out. Some ricochet shots from the pops to the stage bounce out (not often, but sometimes).
I have adjusted the flipper strength down to where it feels good and can make all the shots. Same result for stage shots.
I go under the assumption that most direct shots to the stage should NOT bounce out.
I was going to try some deadening foam strips on the sides and back of the stage. My thought was that it will absorb some of the energy of the ball, perhaps enough to keep it in the stage.
Any thoughts on how I can make this shot more reliable?
Thanks.

Lower the pitch, lower the flipper power.

Or, raise the pitch and leave the flipper power where it is.

Pitch at 6.2 or 6.3 and flippers at 25 to 27 seems to work well enough..

#6402 5 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I plan on ordering the upgrade power supply, but I have been working on another issue I am hoping some folks can chime in on:
Direct shots to the stage usually bounce out. Some ricochet shots from the pops to the stage bounce out (not often, but sometimes).
I have adjusted the flipper strength down to where it feels good and can make all the shots. Same result for stage shots.
I go under the assumption that most direct shots to the stage should NOT bounce out.
I was going to try some deadening foam strips on the sides and back of the stage. My thought was that it will absorb some of the energy of the ball, perhaps enough to keep it in the stage.
Thanks.

What's the number of your flipper strength. It can "feel good" and still be too strong. Usually bounce outs are because flippers are too strong.

#6403 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Lower the pitch, lower the flipper power.
Or, raise the pitch and leave the flipper power where it is.
Pitch at 6.2 or 6.3 and flippers at 25 to 27 seems to work well enough..

27 is a LOT. I think ours are at 23.

#6404 5 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

Thanks.

Mine bounced out a lot more When I had flippers up a setting or two, 22 or 23, whatever the value is

#6405 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

27 is a LOT. I think ours are at 23.

I had my pitch up a bit at 6.5

Recently lowered it to 6.2.
Flippers now at 25-26. I might lower them 1 more notch due to some air balls.

Factory pitch at 5.9-6.0 seemed too floaty to me.

I'm dialing it in for the new power supply. It plays differently, way better in a lot of areas.

I'm trying to find a happy medium between ramp rejects and bounce outs.

I really want the ramp shots to be strong. I can deal with a few bounce outs.

I hate weak ramp shots.

#6406 5 years ago

I had my pitch up a bit at 6.5
Recently lowered it to 6.2.
Flippers now at 25-26. I might lower them 1 more notch due to some air balls.
Factory pitch at 5.9-6.0 seemed too floaty to me.
I'm dialing it in for the new power supply. It plays differently, way better in a lot of areas.
I'm trying to find a happy medium between ramp rejects and bounce outs.
I really want the ramp shots to be strong. I can deal with a few bounce outs.
I hate weak ramp shots.

Holy crap, 26! Mine are at 22, and I dialed them WAY down when pitch was at 6.0 so I could get those delicate shots.

Changed out my flipper rubbers to traditional red rubber. Huge move; I couldn’t get control of the ball before, now it’s pretty easy

#6407 5 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

Thanks.

I've seen this discussed prior. I think it was mentioned the Stage Alley is what was intended to actually send it to the Stage. I also try to ricochet off the ESCAPE letters which tends to get it at the proper angle to stay in the stage.

#6408 5 years ago

Location Houdini at Marvin's in farmington MI has a few wear and tear issues that we may expect on home machines eventually. Both flipper toppers are broken. Blue lens missing from one spotlight lamp, and planchette is twisted around. Trunk shot is aligned but misses short. There are red rubbers on the flippers instead of the purple silicones, which seems to make backhands easier. Software seems to be two versions old. Ball save is generous but other settings are standard hard. I also enjoyed Iron Maiden premium...great animations, callouts and tricky shots. JJP Pirates was stuck in perpetual ball search, sadly. Deadpool premium was interesting and funny.

20181009_190346 (resized).jpg20181009_190346 (resized).jpg
#6409 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

Just installed the new power supply. Went in easily even with these strange looking “wood” screws. No biggie, just surprised when I opened the small envelope.
[quoted image]

Mine had the same 'wood' screws. Anyone know the correct size of wood screw that should be in there?

#6410 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Holy crap, 26! Mine are at 22, and I dialed them WAY down when pitch was at 6.0 so I could get those delicate shots.
Changed out my flipper rubbers to traditional red rubber. Huge move; I couldn’t get control of the ball before, now it’s pretty easy

Still making adjustments with the new power supply installed.

Catapult is rock solid and NEVER misses.

I lowered my pitch to 6.15 tonight and lowered my flipper power to 25L and 24R less air balls.

Stage alley shot is solid, no bounce outs.

It does not seem floaty at this pitch.

Ramp shots were doable but not as thrilling.

Orbits still fast and very repeatable.

I think something should be added in the code if you make consecutive orbits or ramps etc. Like a callout or something.

I increased the pops up 1 each.

Scoop is at +1, was getting a few retries at default but no SDTM's.

Scoop shot is pretty erratic. I'll see if I can tighten it up a bit.

Increased slings +1

Milk can much easier at lower flipper power and 2mn drop in the flipper angle.

Everything plays really well, still dialing it in with the new power supply.

I'm still adjusting to the new feel of the game. It definitely plays differently.

All in all I think it's a lot better and more powerful.

I'm getting used to it pretty quickly.

I have to put a few dozen games on it now and wax it with P21S.

The game is amazing!

#6411 5 years ago

Still making adjustments with the new power supply installed.
Catapult is rock solid and NEVER misses.
I lowered my pitch to 6.15 tonight and lowered my flipper power to 25L and 24R less air balls.
Stage alley shot is solid, no bounce outs.
It does not seem floaty at this pitch.
Ramp shots were doable but not as thrilling.
Orbits still fast and very repeatable.
I think something should be added in the code if you make consecutive orbits or ramps etc. Like a callout or something.
I increased the pops up 1 each.
Scoop is at +1, was getting a few retries at default but no SDTM's.
Scoop shot is pretty erratic. I'll see if I can tighten it up a bit.
Increased slings +1
Milk can much easier at lower flipper power and 2mn drop in the flipper angle.
Everything plays really well, still dialing it in with the new power supply.
I'm still adjusting to the new feel of the game. It definitely plays differently.
All in all I think it's a lot better and more powerful.
I'm getting used to it pretty quickly.
I have to put a few dozen games on it now and wax it with P21S.
The game is amazing!

Can you take a photo of the way you have your flippers set? I tried dropping them and the game just performed horribly - lots of drains SDTM. I'm wondering if I did too much.

#6412 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Location Houdini at Marvin's in farmington MI has a few wear and tear issues that we may expect on home machines eventually. Both flipper toppers are broken. Blue lens missing from one spotlight lamp, and planchette is twisted around. Trunk shot is aligned but misses short. There are red rubbers on the flippers instead of the purple silicones, which seems to make backhands easier. Software seems to be two versions old. Ball save is generous but other settings are standard hard. I also enjoyed Iron Maiden premium...great animations, callouts and tricky shots. JJP Pirates was stuck in perpetual ball search, sadly. Deadpool premium was interesting and funny.
[quoted image]

I believe both iron maden and dead pool are both pro models

#6413 5 years ago

I really like the "Most efficient" Highscore. It's a new way to play a pinball machine. You have to get as many point as possible in a very short time as your points per second are counting here. It's like a Speedrun. Here's my best example with just one mode startet and combined with the multiballs and multipliers. Wish other machines would have that as well.

IMG_1471 (resized).JPGIMG_1471 (resized).JPG
#6414 5 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

I really like the "Most efficient" Highscore. It's a new way to play a pinball machine. You have to get as many point as possible in a very short time as your points per second are counting here. It's like a Speedrun. Here's my best example with just one mode startet and combined with the multiballs and multipliers. Wish other machines would have that as well.[quoted image]

Wow, you have really mastered the stacking and multiplier strategy!

#6415 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Mine had the same 'wood' screws. Anyone know the correct size of wood screw that should be in there?

They sent out regular #8 by 1/2" playfield hex screws with mine.

#6416 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Can you take a photo of the way you have your flippers set? I tried dropping them and the game just performed horribly - lots of drains SDTM. I'm wondering if I did too much.

I posted a photo way earlier in this thread.

Basically I dropped the flipper angle about 1/8" using the hole near the tip of the flipper as a reference. About the thickness of the flipper rubber.

I'm not seeing any difference as far as SDTM's, the gap between the flipper tip and center post is the same, maybe a little tighter than default.

Too much drop and you can hit the slings though.

It's much easier to make the magic targets and milkcan shot now.

You will have to adjust your game play if you are used to the default.

It's a very minor change but has big impact as far as the tight edge shots.

#6417 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yes I can backhand the inner loop on my game and backhand the ramp from the right flipper

Really? Who else can do this on his game?
Did you adjust the flippers or not?
Thanks

#6418 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Thanks

Thanks

Mine are currently set as one would set up a B/W game (or I guess all games) using a toothpick in the little hole and the flipper bat resting against it. Or by eye, roughly straight with the lane guides

#6419 5 years ago

I posted a photo way earlier in this thread.
Basically I dropped the flipper angle about 1/8" using the hole near the tip of the flipper as a reference. About the thickness of the flipper rubber.
I'm not seeing any difference as far as SDTM's, the gap between the flipper tip and center post is the same, maybe a little tighter than default.
Too much drop and you can hit the slings though.
It's much easier to make the magic targets and milkcan shot now.
You will have to adjust your game play if you are used to the default.
It's a very minor change but has big impact as far as the tight edge shots.

Sounds like I dropped mine way too much. I’ll try that again some time. Will have to look for that photo

#6420 5 years ago

Thanks

my flipper is at 23 and i can make it almost every time.

#6421 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Sounds like I dropped mine way too much. I’ll try that again some time. Will have to look for that photo

Page 118 post 5889 in regards to the flipper adjustment pics

#6422 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Page 118 post 5889 in regards to the flipper adjustment pics

Yes! That's it

#6423 5 years ago

Anyone who has installed the power supply upgrade...do the brown and black wires go into the wall nuts through one of the black circular holes or do they go through an opening on the clear plastic side? I haven't worked with this kind of connector before. Thanks. Off to dig up some wood screws now...

#6425 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Anyone wo has installed the power supply upgrade...do the brown and black wires go into the wall nuts through one of the black circular holes or do they go through an opening on the clear plastic side? I haven't worked with this kind of connector before. Thanks. Off to dig up some wood screws now...

They go into the back of the connector that already has one brown or black wire going in. I want to say there are 6 openings on the correct side, with one colored wire already going in. They can go into any of the empty spots.

Just make sure to keep the black with black, and brown with brown.

#6426 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

They go into the back of the connector that already has one brown or black wire going in. I want to say there are 6 openings on the correct side, with one colored wire already going in. They can go into any of the empty spots.
Just make sure to keep the black with black, and brown with brown.

That makes sense, thanks!

#6427 5 years ago

It seems like the existing ends of the disconnected wires can fit into the wall nut without having to be cut off and stripping the wire. I will try it that way.

#6428 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

It seems like the existing ends of the disconnected wires can fit into the wall nut withouwt having to be cut off and stripping the wire. I will try it that way.

I tried as well, but I couldn't make it work. Just cut right below the existing connector, strip about a half inch, twist the wires and insert into connector.

#6429 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

It seems like the existing ends of the disconnected wires can fit into the wall nut without having to be cut off and stripping the wire. I will try it that way.

Not working - too thick and slip out of the nut too easily. Gotta cut the puppies off...

#6430 5 years ago

Found this loose nut in the back of the cabinet. It matches the 4 that hold the coin door to the cabinet, but thay are all in place. Couldnt find a bolt that is missing this. I think it is for the cabinet rather than playfield because it is so large.

20181010_213305 (resized).jpg20181010_213305 (resized).jpg
#6431 5 years ago

Since lowering my playfield pitch the ball lock is dragging when there is only a single ball.

Sometimes I have to shake the game while its pulsing to get it free.

I guess i will have to bend the actuator up a tiny bit?

If they become a problem i might have to replace the switches with original cherry switches. They are a much lighter force.

What do you think? I know it's been covered before.

#6432 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Mine are currently set as one would set up a B/W game (or I guess all games) using a toothpick in the little hole and the flipper bat resting against it.

According to Joe, the flipper bat should point to the hole, not sit above it.

Since lowering my playfield pitch the ball lock is dragging when there is only a single ball.
Sometimes I have to shake the game while its pulsing to get it free.

Not following, are you talking about the left ball release? Are you saying when a ball enters the lock it does not go all thew ay to the first switch, or after a release when there are two balls it does not move down?

I strongly recommend against changing the switches, those are the correct ones to use. Also be very careful if you adjust them, very easy to make matters worse. You may want to try to adjust the coil 'strength' in coil settings to have it hold the plunger down slightly longer. For the lock release, it does not change strength but the duration of the pull.

Quoted from PhantomO:

Found this loose nut in the back of the cabinet. It matches the 4 that hold the coin door to the cabinet, but thay are all in place. Couldnt find a bolt that is missing this. I think it is for the cabinet rather than playfield because it is so large.

Not sure, but check the lock down bar, the bolt in the middle goes through the coin door, but there might be one towards each end, don't recall if the cabinet is designed that way or not, but I know I have had that with other cabinets.

#6433 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

You may want to try to adjust the coil 'strength' in coil settings to have it hold the plunger down slightly longer. For the lock release, it does not change strength but the duration of the pull.

Thanks Josh that's what I needed to know!

It's all fixed! I increased the left ball release 1 increment in the service menu. Higher numbers, the post seems to dwell down longer, lower numbers raises the post earlier.

Nothing wrong with the lock release switches, I couldn't get the ball to hang on one at all.

#6434 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Neither of these statements are accurate
This is my first game with joe and Jim was not yet at American pinball when the playfield was designed. But our names do start with J

Only can go by what I am told.....

#6435 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Only can go by what I am told.....

Obviously talking to the wrong people

#6436 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

According to Joe, the flipper bat should point to the hole, not sit above it.

Not following, are you talking about the left ball release? Are you saying when a ball enters the lock it does not go all thew ay to the first switch, or after a release when there are two balls it does not move down?
I strongly recommend against changing the switches, those are the correct ones to use. Also be very careful if you adjust them, very easy to make matters worse. You may want to try to adjust the coil 'strength' in coil settings to have it hold the plunger down slightly longer. For the lock release, it does not change strength but the duration of the pull.

Not sure, but check the lock down bar, the bolt in the middle goes through the coin door, but there might be one towards each end, don't recall if the cabinet is designed that way or not, but I know I have had that with other cabinets.

Thx for the clarification!

#6437 5 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

my flipper is at 23 and i can make it almost every time.

This is the coil power.
But did you keep the factory position of the flipper?
Thanks

#6438 5 years ago

This is the coil power.
But did you keep the factory position of the flipper?
Thanks

yes.

#6439 5 years ago

They sent out regular #8 by 1/2" playfield hex screws with mine.

So did you need wood screws?

#6440 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

So did you need wood screws?

playfield screws are wood screws - but I think with some of the packs they sent out self-drilling screws (mine were)

#6441 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

playfield screws are wood screws - but I think with some of the packs they sent out self-drilling screws (mine were)

Off to the hardware store I go!

#6442 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Just got the notice from AP. New power supplies are available from them for people having issues with coil fade. $150 out of pocket, but they'll let existing customers have a $150 credit for their store to offset this:
September 26, 2018
Our goal at American Pinball is to provide quality games at affordable prices.
As many of you know, some Houdini owners are experiencing weak coils when the incoming AC voltage drops because of external loads placed on the service line. We have incorporated a new 48 Volt Power Supply to offset the effect of low incoming AC voltage on the coils.
We are selling the new Low Voltage Offset Power Supply for $150.00 which includes a switch mode 750-48 power supply, retrofit wire harness, hardware and shipping.
We greatly appreciate our customers and to show this, American Pinball will provide a $150.00 credit* with the purchase of the “Low Voltage Offset Power Supply” to be used either at our online store or towards the purchase of an Oktoberfest “Pinball On Tap” machine.
Purchase the power supply online at
https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-power-supply-upgrade
Your Houdini machine needs to be registered prior to the power supply shipping, register your game at
https://www.american-pinball.com/support/register/
Regards,
American Pinball Inc.
Phone: 847 893 6800
American-Pinball.com
Facebook.com/americanpinball

Does this fix the weak flippers during multi ball?

#6443 5 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-houdini-34#post-4621537

My Houdini is still available at 6300 with mods etc.

#6444 5 years ago

The combo shots modes are really tough to do!
I would have liked to count other combos you succeed whatever the order. Maybe an EB to win or points for a number of combo or complete the level of secret mode you are playing.

#6445 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

yes

#6446 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Yes on mine as well

#6447 5 years ago

The combo shots modes are really tough to do!
I would have liked to count other combos you succeed whatever the order. Maybe an EB to win or points for a number of combo or complete the level of secret mode you are playing.

they are definitely hard to do if you try to flow them directly from one to the other; I can nail the first one from ramp-to-scoop very quickly. the others require some more stop-and-go handling

#6448 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

they are definitely hard to do if you try to flow them directly from one to the other; I can nail the first one from ramp-to-scoop very quickly. the others require some more stop-and-go handling

I succeed the first one quite easily...but the second is way harder for me. Never succeeded it yet! I think I get an issue with the right orbit. When I do this shot perfectly, the ball gets maximum speed and then at the end of the wireform guide (so left side) the ball path is like slightly deviated and goes SDTM. I really get the feeling that at the end of the wireform there is something wrong. However, my game is well leveled from side to side. I think I have 6,3-6,4° pitch
Otherwise the time between first and second shot is very very short. So no control on the left flipper and short ball time to succeed the second shot make this combo impossible to do right now for me.

I don’t know if you get this issue when the ball gets lot of speed in the right orbit?

#6449 5 years ago

I succeed the first one quite easily...but the second is way harder for me. Never succeeded it yet! I think I get an issue with the right orbit. When I do this shot perfectly, the ball gets maximum speed and then at the end of the wireform guide (so left side) the ball path is like slightly deviated and goes SDTM. I really get the feeling that at the end of the wireform there is something wrong. However, my game is well leveled from side to side. I think I have 6,3-6,4° pitch
Otherwise the time between first and second shot is very very short. So no control on the left flipper and short ball time to succeed the second shot make this combo impossible to do right now for me.
I don’t know if you get this issue when the ball gets lot of speed in the right orbit?

I think that your pitch is a little steep.

I have lowered my pitch to 6.15 averaged from 3 locations, high, mid level and low just above the flippers.

This was after putting in the new power supply upgrade.

Along with this I have lowered the flipper power from 28L-27R to 25L-24R. I know a lot of guys have even lower flipper settings, but I wanted to add thrill and excitement. So having the flippers up at least 1 or 2 increments from defaults has accomplished this.

Lowering the pitch allowed me to lower the flipper power.

The game plays differently with the new power supply upgrade. It has tons more power yet it is more controlled.

With the flipper power lowered the left flipper can only make the ramp on a clean shot from a cradled position.
Rebound (on the fly) shots off of the left flipper have no problem making the ramp.

Higher flipper powers make the ramp easily even on a weak shot but, way less control in other areas and some air-balls.

However with lower flipper power, milkcan shots become repeatable and stage bounce outs are way less frequent.

#6450 5 years ago

I will try.
Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 129 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/129?hl=barryj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.