20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 297.
#6301 5 years ago

Installed the Cliffy shooter lane protector. Took about 30 minutes to get them in and positioned precisely so that the ball rolls along the metal edges and doesnt contact the wood of the shooter lane. Now to put it all back together .

20181002_184945 (resized).jpg20181002_184945 (resized).jpg
#6302 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Joe and Jim Nov 2016
WOZ and Hobbit before Houdini

Let's not talk about Hobbit. Keep that batting average up.

#6303 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Installed the Cliffy shooter lane protector. Took about 30 minutes to get them in and positioned precisely so that the ball rolls along the metal edges and doesnt contact the wood of the shooter lane. Now to put it all back together .
[quoted image]

Did you use clamps to hold the outside rail while you tightened the screws in?

#6304 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Let's not talk about Hobbit. Keep that batting average up.

Clearly you have not played it since the massive, massive update a month or so ago. Revolutionized the game. I am serious.

#6305 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Clearly you have not played it since the massive, massive update a month or so ago. Revolutionized the game. I am serious.

Yep. And nope. Lots more polish, but the basic playfield design cannot be overcome.

#6306 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yep. And nope. Lots more polish, but the basic playfield design cannot be overcome.

Agree to disagree I guess - I’ve come around on the PF. Since beast mode doesn’t happen every 2 seconds you get a much better appreciation for what you can now see as a constantly changing play field

#6307 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Designed by Josh and Joe for American Pinball Inc. in November 2016

Quoted from BarryJ:

Joe and Jim Nov 2016
WOZ and Hobbit before Houdini

Neither of these statements are accurate

This is my first game with joe and Jim was not yet at American pinball when the playfield was designed. But our names do start with J

#6308 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Neither of these statements are accurate
This is my first game with joe and Jim was not yet at American pinball when the playfield was designed. But our names do start with J

Joe and Jesus?

#6309 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Agree to disagree I guess - I’ve come around on the PF. Since beast mode doesn’t happen every 2 seconds you get a much better appreciation for what you can now see as a constantly changing play field

Yeah, there's just not enough on the playfield and the massive overkill of individually controlled drop targets gets old fast and doesn't add much to the equation in the excitement category. The dragon is still massively under-used for being arguably the centerpiece of the game. Relying so heavily on the screens to differentiate the modes due to the lack of toys gives many of the modes a same-ness that despite some clever lighting, just don't quite reach escape velocity to "awesome."

I mean, it's no Vacation America, but it's definitely the weakest of the JJP machines so far. Pretty sure Black Arrow edition is the end of the line, while all other JJP machines are still being made, and there's supposed to be an all-new WoZ edition coming soon, too. That says the most - the market has spoken.

#6310 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, there's just not enough on the playfield and the massive overkill of individually controlled drop targets gets old fast and doesn't add much to the equation in the excitement category. The dragon is still massively under-used for being arguably the centerpiece of the game. Relying so heavily on the screens to differentiate the modes due to the lack of toys gives many of the modes a same-ness that despite some clever lighting, just don't quite reach escape velocity to "awesome."
I mean, it's no Vacation America, but it's definitely the weakest of the JJP machines so far. Pretty sure Black Arrow edition is the end of the line, while all other JJP machines are still being made, and there's supposed to be an all-new WoZ edition coming soon, too. That says the most - the market has spoken.

I hear ya, but what you just described does not match the game I’m playing. I’ll grant you that Smaug feels kind of like a waste. But the modes are really well done - and I was actually talking about how the “beast” mechs are so well integrated into the modes now. The whole experience is just perfect IMO. I suppose it’s the lesser of The JJP games, but what a club to be part of! I sold one a while back and got it back recently and do not regret it one bit. WOZ is an all-time amazing game, but it doesn’t have the smooth shots that TH and DI have. Haven’t played Pirates much but I’m sure that will be awesome too

#6311 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you use clamps to hold the outside rail while you tightened the screws in?

It would help to use a clamp because there is a little spike of metal that needs to dig into the underside of the outside wood rail. I did apply a clamp to see if I could tighten it more than when pushing down with my left hand. It seemed to help. Cliff has tips on the installation here http://passionforpinball.com/twd/TWDProtectorGuide.html. I didn't remove the rail, just loosened it.

EJRT-alignment (resized).jpgEJRT-alignment (resized).jpg
#6312 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

It would help to use a clamp because there is a little spike of metal that needs to dig into the underside of the outside wood rail. I did apply a clamp to see if I could tighten it more than when pushing down with my left hand. It seemed to help. Cliff has tips on the installation here http://passionforpinball.com/twd/TWDProtectorGuide.html. I didn't remove the rail, just loosened it.[quoted image]

The reason I asked is you MUST use a clamp when installing or the right side springloaded one will not stay put over time.

#6313 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Joe and Jesus?

Josh and Jpop? Say it ain't so!

#6314 5 years ago

Hi,
Is there not any bug remaining?
I did not understand how to choose reversed/inverted flipper. Would like play just reversed but don’t know how to do.
There is also an animation on the screen that looks unfinished at the end of mode or don’t know what it represents. I will take a pic.
Thanks

#6315 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Hi,
Is there not any bug remaining?
I did not understand how to choose reversed/inverted flipper. Would like play just reversed but don’t know how to do.
There is also an animation on the screen that looks unfinished at the end of mode or don’t know what it represents. I will take a pic.
Thanks

At the beginning of the mode use one flipper to select which you want (left or right) and then hit BOTH flippers to select that one and start that mode.

#6316 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

What led bulbs and led strip did you use.
I like the idea of softening the color in the rear under the chrome wireforms and ramp.
If they were RGB it could be controlled via the menu.

I will make pictures today, yesterday it was a hard day...!

I used comet frosted warm white (6,3VAC) and for the two 12V lights (Trunk, Theater) I used purple Comet 8 SMD #906 FLASHER.

For the Led stripe in Background i will first test some bakingsheet and if it wouldn't look good I will test Lees colorfilters (in germany around 6,37).

And the last try will be a50cm warm white Led stripe.

Lees color filter (resized).pngLees color filter (resized).png

#6317 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

At the beginning of the mode use one flipper to select which you want (left or right) and then hit BOTH flippers to select that one and start that mode.

I should be dumb or drunk as I did not notice that the choice changed on the screen!

#6318 5 years ago

Helped unbox an Australian Houdini tonight.

The small LCD displays vga wording upon power on but that is it. Nothing else during game play.

IMG_4215 (resized).JPGIMG_4215 (resized).JPG

Checked the vga extension cable and it's zip tied tight. Checked the connection inside the head and it's screwed in.

What else should be checked?

Haven't yet upgraded to the latest software. Machine was a July build.

#6319 5 years ago

The backingsheet is not so good. Looks a bit cold. I will now order a frosted warm white led steile.

Also between the Flippers i will add a warm white stripe

IMG_20181002_151710 (resized).jpgIMG_20181002_151710 (resized).jpgIMG_20181003_114739 (resized).jpgIMG_20181003_114739 (resized).jpgIMG_20181003_114837 (resized).jpgIMG_20181003_114837 (resized).jpgIMG_20181003_114845 (resized).jpgIMG_20181003_114845 (resized).jpg
#6320 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

The small LCD displays vga wording upon power on but that is it. Nothing else during game play.
[quoted image]
Checked the vga extension cable and it's zip tied tight. Checked the connection inside the head and it's screwed in.

Did you check that the usb cable in the cabinet is plugged to the board?

#6321 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

[quoted image]

It's the power cable unplugged in head box to the monitor

#6322 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

[quoted image]

Sorry small lcd, the pc inside has 2 monitor cables one for headbox and the other the backbox, probably unplugged

#6323 5 years ago

The answer to what's "under the apron" is explained in our podcast interview with Nirmal Vasani (Lead Sales and Marketing Strategist - American Pinball). He shares some very interesting info regarding API manufacturing, Houdini, and new info on Oktoberfest. If anyone cares to listen I've provided a link to the episode below. Disclaimer: not trying to plug our show but thought those here may appreciate the info!

http://specialwhenlitpinballpodcast.com/episode-16-nirmal-vasani-salesmarketing-american-pinball

#6324 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The reason I asked is you MUST use a clamp when installing or the right side springloaded one will not stay put over time.

I just installed my cliffys and there was no instructions, so I didn't see this anywhere. Do you think I should loosen the screws and redo with the rails clamped? I also didn't see any info on aligning the protectors under the ball lane. The ball isn't supposed to touch the wood?

#6325 5 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

The answer to what's "under the apron" is explained in our podcast interview with Nirmal Vasani (Lead Sales and Marketing Strategist - American Pinball). He shares some very interesting info regarding API manufacturing, Houdini, and new info on Oktoberfest. If anyone cares to listen I've provided a link to the episode below. Disclaimer: not trying to plug our show but thought those here may appreciate the info!
http://specialwhenlitpinballpodcast.com/episode-16-nirmal-vasani-salesmarketing-american-pinball

Wow, lots of great stuff from Nirmal, thanks!

#6326 5 years ago
Quoted from CoPinfan:

I just installed my cliffys and there was no instructions, so I didn't see this anywhere. Do you think I should loosen the screws and redo with the rails clamped? I also didn't see any info on aligning the protectors under the ball lane. The ball isn't supposed to touch the wood?

If you re-do with the rails clamped, you'll have a better chance of them not moving around. And yes, the metal is supposed to align with the point where the wood drops away from flat, so it essentially puts a metal edge on it.

#6327 5 years ago
Quoted from CoPinfan:

The ball isn't supposed to touch the wood?

Properly installed, the ball rides the metal edge and hovers just above the wood.

Clamping the rails makes for a tighter seal as the right cliffy is held in with friction on one end, pinned on the other.

Clamping is preferred as the wood screws might strip out when trying to apply this extra pressure.

However, if the wooden rails seem very tight and the screws are as tight as possible and not stripped, you should be ok.

If the right cliffy rotates out of position, it wasn't tight enough.

If it's still in place after many games its installed perfectly.

#6328 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Wow, lots of great stuff from Nirmal, thanks!

You're very welcome.

It was my first time on a podcast, glad to hear that people liked it!

Just to clarify, the J & J refers to different people across different games.

#6329 5 years ago

Properly installed, the ball rides the metal edge and hovers just above the wood.
Clamping the rails makes for a tighter seal as the right cliffy is held in with friction on one end, pinned on the other.
Clamping is preferred as the wood screws might strip out when trying to apply this extra pressure.
However, if the wooden rails seem very tight and the screws are as tight as possible and not stripped, you should be ok.
If the right cliffy rotates out of position, it wasn't tight enough.
If it's still in place after many games its installed perfectly.

It's not an issue of stripping the wood without the clamp. The clamp causes it to set and grab properly, while screwing it back in without the clamp does not. The clamp is mandatory for a correct install as it was explained to me, so I always do it.

#6330 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's not an issue of stripping the wood without the clamp. The clamp causes it to set and grab properly, while screwing it back in without the clamp does not. The clamp is mandatory for a correct install as it was explained to me, so I always do it.

Clamping guarantees accuracy and sufficient pressure to imbed the little spike.

I've done it both ways and have had excellent results.

So I guess with care and attention to detail all should be good.

#6331 5 years ago

My catapult went from 100 % success rate during the first couple days to a "not making the shot at all" fail rate. I am trying everything. Cleaning, bending, adjusting… it's weird. I don't see any pattern so far.

#6332 5 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

My catapult went from 100 % success rate during the first couple days to a "not making the shot at all" fail rate. I am trying everything. Cleaning, bending, adjusting… it's weird. I don't see any pattern so far.

Check out post #5727. At first my catapult shot was making the trunk shot 95% of the time. Then, seemingly for no reason, it started becoming more inconsistent and shooting to the left. I tried moving the catapult assembly around, cleaning etc but it didn't help for more than a game or two. I downloaded a "slow motion" app for my phone and noticed that the ball seemed to be deflecting off the side of the ramp. I drilled new holes in the ramp (per post #5727) and the ramp easily moved 1/8" - 3/16" to the right. As a matter of fact, when the ramp was in its original location it was under load and when unscrewed it sprung over to its new location.

It took 10-15 minutes to correct after I diagnosed the problem and since moving the ramp (aprox 150 games ago) I don't think it has missed more than once or twice.

#6333 5 years ago

I assume you guys tried just adjusting the coil strength and making sure game is level?

#6334 5 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Check out post #5727. At first my catapult shot was making the trunk shot 95% of the time. Then, seemingly for no reason, it started becoming more inconsistent and shooting to the left. I tried moving the catapult assembly around, cleaning etc but it didn't help for more than a game or two. I downloaded a "slow motion" app for my phone and noticed that the ball seemed to be deflecting off the side of the ramp. I drilled new holes in the ramp (per post #5727) and the ramp easily moved 1/8" - 3/16" to the right. As a matter of fact, when the ramp was in its original location it was under load and when unscrewed it sprung over to its new location.
It took 10-15 minutes to correct after I diagnosed the problem and since moving the ramp (aprox 150 games ago) I don't think it has missed more than once or twice.

I did the same thing, moving my ramp to the right. After several games, the shot would consistentlyiss left. But I would advise before you drill considering whether the api power upgrade would be a better solution. I have moved my ramp back to its original position with no ill effects. The ramp may only be an issue when the power is low or erratic. I also notice that when I lower the coil strength, the ball still flies straight with no ramp deflection. It hits the trunk too low to go in, but it is straight. My trunk accuracy was 70% before moving the ramp, and 76% after pivoting the whole mechanism. So my hope is the power upgrade will get it to 90%.

#6335 5 years ago

Got my power package!!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#6336 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Got my power package!!
[quoted image]

Good! Mine is enroute. Let us know how it goes.

#6337 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Flipper bat gauge is great.
Are they available ?
LTG : )

Lloyd,

I've put one in my back pack for you, remind me at expo to give it to you.

rosh

#6338 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Lloyd,

rosh

Why thank you. Much appreciated !

LTG : )
Disclaimer : I'm looking forward to seeing my American Pinball friends !

#6339 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Good! Mine is enroute. Let us know how it goes.

Prob tomorrow morning, but I will have a report! I have a test scenario that I can consistently make the catapult miss, and then not miss by turning off a dehumidifier on that circuit.

#6340 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Lloyd,
rosh

Literally JUST used that for the first time tonight. I had not needed to adjust the flippers before, but i tried out dropping them 1/8” and .. yeah not for me. Way more SDTM, felt like a Trudeau game. You guys might want to consider cutting them with a TINY bit more tolerance - I used mine on the flipper and it it so tight (maybe it has to be?) it ripped off the steampunk gear thing on the right flipper. I was sad.

#6341 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Literally JUST used that for the first time tonight. I had not needed to adjust the flippers before, but i tried out dropping them 1/8” and .. yeah not for me. Way more SDTM, felt like a Trudeau game. You guys might want to consider cutting them with a TINY bit more tolerance - I used mine on the flipper and it it so tight (maybe it has to be?) it ripped off the steampunk gear thing on the right flipper. I was sad.

They are tight and trick to get on. I hope you can fix the flipper topper. If not, they are available at the API shop now.

#6342 5 years ago

Cliffy's in the house! And the blade protectors. Next up, the new regulated power supply. Might be a productive weekend!

#6343 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

They are tight and trick to get on. I hope you can fix the flipper topper. If not, they are available at the API shop now.

little tiny spot of glue was all it needed, thank goodness!

#6344 5 years ago

Just got my power supply upgrade. I'll try to install it tomorrow night.
My power tonight is 116.5v.

This will be a literal game changer

It couldn't have arrived at a better time !

#6345 5 years ago

Just got my power supply upgrade. I'll try to install it tomorrow night.
My power tonight is 116.5v.
This will be a literal game changer
It couldn't have arrived at a better time !

Of course we are going to want a complete review, with pics.

#6346 5 years ago

All right -

Got the power supply installed (Sorry, no pics yet). It installed very easily - took me about 20 minutes, tops. Most of that time was figuring out how to strip the wires without bashing my hands into the cabinet walls. there's not a ton of slack on the wires that need to be connected.

The power supply slides right in along the main one, and screws down right next to it. One ground wire that goes to the power box, and you're in business. Seriously, it was easy.

I am also now a fan of the "Wall Nuts" which I have seen before but never actually used. Those are simple! Almost as good as the "SharkBite" connectors (shout out to plumbers in the house!)

Anyway - the game definitely needs a set up again. I am going to reset to factory default actually, but my lower catapult worked great on factory settings - now however it needs a big boost. It is falling short consistently on every throw, and that's without my additional load on the outlet. I.e. it is throwing with less power out of the gate. But it is consistent, so that's an easy fix.

The upper catapult is going to the wireform just fine, no problems there. I also needed to dial my scoop coil up a bit. I forgot to check whether that was at factory, but I seem to remember that I had dialed that back down.

I will report back once I do a factory reset.

Oh, also took off the factory rubbers (Superbands I think?) and put on good 'ol red rubber ones. IMMEDIATE improvement. Huh. Whodathunk.

#6347 5 years ago

Ok I reset things to stock coil settings and it is playing perfectly!! This is an unusual mod, to be sure, but it is worth every single penny. Absolutely awesome. Catapult never missed a single time, even with a dehumidifier, and 5 others pins running on the same
Circuit. That’s stable.

Had to fool with the scoop a little, but I had never adjusted the angle of the scoop itself, so i bent it up a tiny bit and that solved that. No issues with coil.

I also went through the latest beta code, and although after I cheated my way to and through the Master Magician mode (unfortunately it still resets) but I think I otherwise tested every other scenario possible. Very cool game this Houdini!

#6348 5 years ago

I had a Houdini and sold it. I miss it this thread is the most consistently bumped to the top, reminds me of the good old times. Really well done machine for sure.

#6349 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Ok I reset things to stock coil settings and it is playing perfectly!! This is an unusual mod, to be sure, but it is worth every single penny. Absolutely awesome. Catapult never missed a single time, even with a dehumidifier, and 5 others pins running on the same
Circuit. That’s stable.
Had to fool with the scoop a little, but I had never adjusted the angle of the scoop itself, so i bent it up a tiny bit and that solved that. No issues with coil.
I also went through the latest beta code, and although after I cheated my way to and through the Master Magician mode (unfortunately it still resets) but I think I otherwise tested every other scenario possible. Very cool game this Houdini!

Thanks for the quick report. The fact that it is playing great on factory default settings and under a high-power load sounds very encouraging. I too got a MM reset error after losing the final ball with the new beta software. I let Josh know and sent my logs to him. Hope he can figure out the culprit. I guess the old power transformer is disconnected and nonfunctional now?

#6350 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Thanks for the quick report. The fact that it is playing great on factory default settings and under a high-power load sounds very encouraging. I too got a MM reset error after losing the final ball with the new beta software. I let Josh know and sent my logs to him. Hope he can figure out the culprit. I guess the old power transformer is disconnected and nonfunctional now?

No, it looks like the new power supply is supplemental - I think Barry confirmed this in the thread somewhere. There are still some connects to the old transformer (not sure what exactly), and you bridge between it and the new PS. Then the main power to the power box itself is connected with a spliced connection ending in 2 molex cubes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/127?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.