20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 124 of 297.
#6151 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Shaker maybe, knocker not really unless they use it in ways we've never seen before. I wouldn't expect it to be firing when I'm in a multiball except maybe one time if I hit a replay. I haven't played a Houdini with the shaker in it so I don't know what triggers it. Since the offer is so good (it's like getting the power supply free if you buy the shaker and knocker kit) I'm going to order all three and see if it makes a difference for me. I don't have the fluctuating line voltage like some others do and my lower catapult accuracy is 98%. The upper one shows it's only at like 75% but I have NEVER seen it miss so I don't know what's causing that number to be so low.

The shaker uses a lot of power so if it is firing at the same time as the magnets and coils and flippers (likely during multiball) it will also have an impact. Consider if in the mode with the elephant you start a multiball and then nail the inner loop. The catapult will likely miss, and/or you will feel the flippers drop.

I dont Really care about the catapult -that- much, mine makes it probably 95% of the time, but the flippers bother me. For $150, that’s a steal at twice the price.

#6152 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

BarryJ,
The power supply upgrade: Will this also address the lower catapult inconsistencies related to line voltage?

Yes it will address all low voltage problems.

#6153 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Maybe get a little plug in voltmeter to check the wall power if something changes dramatically.

I had 115v the other day. Today I have 116v. What is needed and how do we get it to run Houdini without constant adjustments?

#6154 5 years ago

It has come to my attention that the new Power Supply Upgrade was charging customers for shipping. It was NOT intended to do so, anyone who has had that please contact [email protected].

Until a better fix is found, I have set up a discount code HOUDINI which will give you the free shipping. Again, I apologize about that.

-Nirm

#6155 5 years ago

Just ordered the new power supply. Hope this fixes everything!

#6156 5 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I had 115v the other day. Today I have 116v. What is needed and how do we get it to run Houdini without constant adjustments?

The new 750w watt power supply is supposed to auto correct the voltage in the game to 48v regardless of the wall voltage fluctuations.

I would get it.

#6157 5 years ago

Barry, I saw a 1000-48 supply on jameco.com, the 750's bigger brother.

Is 750 enough power?

In my PC experience, power supplies lose power over time as they wear.

Would it be better to just get an even bigger supply to future-proof my game?

#6158 5 years ago

Is 750 enough power?

This power supply will provide another 6 amps of continuous flow.
Thus, yes, more than enough power flow. The game only needed about 3 amps more. In fact this probably overkill adjusting for the shaker as well.
There also would be no need for a variac with this extra power, this would make up for low wall voltage.
This power supply is an amazing fix for the game.
Kudos again to American pinball. This has been in the works since almost April, at least on paper. So this should do the trick.
Shaker motor also not an issue, more than enough power now.

#6159 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

This is designed as a bridge so to speak.
Thus, yes, more than enough power flow. The game only needed about 3 amps more. In fact this probably overkill adjusting for the shaker as well.
There also would be no need for a variac with this extra power, this would make up for low wall voltage.
Kudos again to American pinball. This has been in the works since almost April, at least on paper. So this should do the trick.

I get a 9v drop in voltage form my wall power continuously.

It affects all of my games negatively.

I added variacs to all of my games and finally everything is stable.

Commonly AFMr, WOZ, TH, Houdini affected the most.

Adding an additional 6 amps to Houdini will be amazing!

Even more so would be so add another 20v in series to the flipper circuit.

#6160 5 years ago

The new 750 watt power supply will not add power if your wall voltage keeps going low.
For that you need the variac and set it 1.5 volts above your lowest power level.
I set mine to 118.5 volts.
Then I adjusted all the settings in the game.
If the power drops a little the game plays fine. If the power goes up, the extra voltage is shrugged off.
The 750 watt power supply will however give you more power to run more things in the game simultaneously. Like magnets and shakers, without running our of power.
So you need it also.

The new power supply isn't in addition too. It will take over the 48V duty. It has built in PFC (power factor correction) ie if your input voltage goes down the output corrects itself to stay at 48V.

#6161 5 years ago

Is 750 enough power?

We have tested the 750 watt (15.6 Amps) for months with NO problems.. If you want the 1000 watt go for it.

#6162 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

This is designed as a bridge so to speak.

Eric, We scrapped the add on power supply idea and went with the SMPS for various reasons. This is not a bridge, it is a solution.

#6163 5 years ago

I get a 9v drop in voltage form my wall power continuously.
It affects all of my games negatively.
I added variacs to all of my games and finally everything is stable.
Commonly AFMr, WOZ, TH, Houdini affected the most.
Adding an additional 6 amps to Houdini will be amazing!
Even more so would be so add another 20v in series to the flipper circuit.

Sounds like you should skip variac's and put this in your AFMr and Woz too.

Quoted from BarryJ:

Eric, We scrapped the add on power supply idea and went with the SMPS for various reasons. This is not a bridge, it is a solution.

Thanks Barry!
You had a much better way of describing it.

#6164 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Shaker maybe, knocker not really unless they use it in ways we've never seen before. I wouldn't expect it to be firing when I'm in a multiball except maybe one time if I hit a replay. I haven't played a Houdini with the shaker in it so I don't know what triggers it. Since the offer is so good (it's like getting the power supply free if you buy the shaker and knocker kit) I'm going to order all three and see if it makes a difference for me. I don't have the fluctuating line voltage like some others do and my lower catapult accuracy is 98%. The upper one shows it's only at like 75% but I have NEVER seen it miss so I don't know what's causing that number to be so low.

I have 70s on the upper catapult too, but it almost always makes it, so I think the calculatuon is funky. Sadly, my lower catapult accuracy is mired at 76%.

#6165 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

The new power supply isn't in addition too. It will take over the 48V duty. It has built in PFC (power factor correction) ie if your input voltage goes down the output corrects itself to stay at 48V.

Thanks Barry, this is truly great news!
Still keeping my variacs for my other games. They work well enough.

#6166 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I have 70s on the upper catapult too, but it almost always makes it, so I think the calculatuon is funky. Sadly, my lower catapult accuracy is mired at 76%.

Yes, I think the calculation is off and I think that happened in one of the code updates as it used to show very high 90s. Not a big deal by any means for me as it's in my home and I see that it always makes it but could have an operator chasing a non-existent problem if they looked that far into the audits.

#6169 5 years ago

Looks like the power supply upgrade is gone as well!

#6170 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Just got the notice from AP. New power supplies are available from them for people having issues with coil fade. $150 out of pocket, but they'll let existing customers have a $150 credit for their store to offset this:
September 26, 2018
Our goal at American Pinball is to provide quality games at affordable prices.
As many of you know, some Houdini owners are experiencing weak coils when the incoming AC voltage drops because of external loads placed on the service line. We have incorporated a new 48 Volt Power Supply to offset the effect of low incoming AC voltage on the coils.
We are selling the new Low Voltage Offset Power Supply for $150.00 which includes a switch mode 750-48 power supply, retrofit wire harness, hardware and shipping.
We greatly appreciate our customers and to show this, American Pinball will provide a $150.00 credit* with the purchase of the “Low Voltage Offset Power Supply” to be used either at our online store or towards the purchase of an Oktoberfest “Pinball On Tap” machine.
Purchase the power supply online at
https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-power-supply-upgrade
Your Houdini machine needs to be registered prior to the power supply shipping, register your game at
https://www.american-pinball.com/support/register/
Regards,
American Pinball Inc.
Phone: 847 893 6800
American-Pinball.com
Facebook.com/americanpinball

Shipping was not included on my order for this.
And no mention of any credits for future orders.

Barry, How do I get the $150 credit?

#6171 5 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Looks like the power supply upgrade is gone as well!

Wow, sold out in one day?
https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-power-supply-upgrade

Jameco has them but you pay more and get no harness, no instructions, no help...

https://www.jameco.com/z/RSP-750-48-MEAN-WELL-AC-to-DC-Switching-Enclosed-Power-Supply-with-PFC-Function-48-Volts-15-7-Amps-753-6-Watts_2172148.html

Best to wait for API to make up some more harnesses at least.

#6172 5 years ago

I ordered mine yesterday when I saw the post about it- maybe like 10 min after.

Unfortunately, the knocker wasn't on there at the time, so it looks like I missed that one.....

#6173 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

I ordered mine yesterday when I saw the post about it- maybe like 10 min after.
Unfortunately, the knocker wasn't on there at the time, so it looks like I missed that one.....

Im interested in the knocker, but i havent even heard the software one yet, on my game. Its turned on in the settings, but i have never heard it. So maybe it will be implemented more in the next code update.

#6174 5 years ago

Im interested in the knocker, but i havent even heard the software one yet on my game. Its turned on HIGH, but i have never heard it. So maybe it will be implemented more in the next code update.

My Houdini is in a row with High Speed, Diner, and Metallica. Those all have the traditional knocker. I know these are home games set on free play, but I like to kick the match percentage up as my kids and guests always love hearing it go off. The electronic Houdini knocker just sounds goofy next to those games.

#6175 5 years ago

Were you registered before placing the order?

#6176 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Were you registered before placing the order?

Yes

There didnt seem to be a way to enter my serial or login to the website.

Maybe they use my address?
They have my shipping info from when I ordered the replacement side art.

"The Struggle is Real" lol.

#6177 5 years ago

Can the same power solution be used by customers in EU? Is the free shipping applicable also in case, where delivery should be to EU?

#6178 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Can the same power solution be used by customers in EU? Is the free shipping applicable also in case, where delivery should be to EU?

There's a red toggle on the side of the switching power supply that lets you select EU voltage input, so I would be inclined to say yes, but you probably want to wait for confirmation from AP/Barry.

#6179 5 years ago

Code for the $150 will come in the box

#6180 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Not releasing it overseas yet, price will be more to cover the added shipping. The 48 V P.S. is auto ranging, so it will automatically switch the input to 230V.

#6181 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Golden Ticket?

#6182 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Thanks Barry!

#6183 5 years ago

Here are the installation instructions for the power supply also available on our website. click on the first page.

Power Supply Kit Installation.pdfPower Supply Kit Installation.pdf
#6184 5 years ago

rosh can you make a finer adjustment for the main volume control?

I have it at 7 and 8 is too loud.
7.5 would be better, or more increments on the control please.

#6185 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

For $150, that’s a steal at twice the price.

Sorry I am having trouble understanding how this is so amazing? You would pay double for the transformer that was Suppose to be in the game you paid for to make it function correctly? Seems like a Steal would have been to send Back the incorrect faulty transformer for the one that should have been there in the first place no?

#6186 5 years ago

Here are the installation instructions for the power supply also available on our website. click on the first page.

Power Supply Kit Installation.pdfPower Supply Kit Installation.pdf
#6187 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Sorry I am having trouble understanding how this is so amazing? You would pay double for the transformer that was Suppose to be in the game you paid for to make it function correctly? Seems like a Steal would have been to send Back the incorrect faulty transformer for the one that should have been there in the first place no?

I'm not sure faulty is the correct term here.

It's more of a performance mod or an upgrade.

My game functions without it.
The existing power supply functions, it's not defective.

Not everyone needs this upgrade.

I however would like increased performance in a couple area's.

You understand mod's right?

Do you give away mod's for free?

For a person who dislikes the game and unloaded it, why do you follow this thread?

You seem like a decent guy, but you're coming off so negative it seems.

#6188 5 years ago

I have it at 7 and 8 is too loud.
7.5 would be better, or more increments on the control please.

You can adjust the amp directly to find that sweet spot, the game volume changes will then be relative to your new volume.

#6189 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

You can adjust the amp directly to find that sweet spot, the game volume changes will then be relative to your new volume.

Ah, I never tried that.
Thanks!

#6190 5 years ago

Got 7 letters tonight, but game rebooted before I could start master mode. Then got 7 again, and played the master magi mode. A wild multiball with reversed and inverted flippers.I got what looked like a 20 million or 20,000 jackpot, and then time ran out and game reset without saving score. Looking forward to the fix. For me the key to getting 7 letters is mastering the first few combo missions and escapes. Meanwhile, that damn elephant still eludes me.

#6191 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Got 7 letters tonight, but game rebooted before I could start master mode. Then got 7 again, and played the master magi mode. A wild multiball with reversed and inverted flippers.I got what looked like a 20 million or 20,000 jackpot ...

Ok, now you're just making stuff up!

(Good for you!)

#6192 5 years ago

I'm not sure faulty is the correct term here.
It's more of a performance mod or an upgrade.
My game functions without it.
The existing power supply functions, it's not defective.
Not everyone needs this upgrade.
I however would like increased performance in a couple area's.
You understand mod's right?
Do you give away mod's for free?
For a person who dislikes the game and unloaded it, why do you follow this thread?
You seem like a decent guy, but you're coming off so negative it seems.

...and a $150 credit.

#6194 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Got 7 letters tonight, but game rebooted before I could start master mode. Then got 7 again, and played the master magi mode. A wild multiball with reversed and inverted flippers.I got what looked like a 20 million or 20,000 jackpot, and then time ran out and game reset without saving score. Looking forward to the fix. For me the key to getting 7 letters is mastering the first few combo missions and escapes. Meanwhile, that damn elephant still eludes me.

Sounds like you are having a blast! And the game is playing well.

7 letters is amazing.

#6195 5 years ago

Ordered! I've been pretty lucky with my line voltage, but I'd rather have a regulated supply anyday. I can't recall when the truck shot missed. But if I can do a better job of centering it up (high to low) - I'm all for it. Would rather have a clean shot to minimize any wear. Sort of like a Cliffy, but a power supply instead.

Added over 6 years ago:

oops..trunk, not truck!

#6196 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Yes it will address all low voltage problems.

Thanks Barry,

I should have asked about the EOS mod for the flippers too, sorry about that... Still needed?

#6197 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Ordered! I've been pretty lucky with my line voltage, but I'd rather have a regulated supply anyday. I can't recall when the truck shot missed. But if I can do a better job of centering it up (high to low) - I'm all for it. Would rather have a clean shot to minimize any wear. Sort of like a Cliffy, but a power supply instead.

I'm looking forward to more current! Should help a ton in seance multiball with shaker and catapult firing.

This ROCKS!

#6198 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Thanks Barry,
I should have asked about the EOS mod for the flippers too, sorry about that... Still needed?

Personally I still think you need EOS switches. The game just doesn't know if a flipper got knocked down.

It happens mostly during multiball if 3 fast moving balls hit a flipper at the same time.

API might have a kit on the horizon. It's very easy to install them.

From scratch it took me 20 mins.

I guess I could make up some kits if API doesn't want the hassle.

#6199 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yow, man, it’s just a figure of speech. I think it’s cool how they rolled this out AND GAVE EVERYONE A CREDIT FOR THE EXACT AMOUNT OF THE PART.

#6200 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yow, man, it’s just a figure of speech. I think it’s cool how they rolled this out AND GAVE EVERYONE A CREDIT FOR THE EXACT AMOUNT OF THE PART.

Yelobird's been doing that for years. WAY ahead of AP. You...you didn't get the coupons in your mod orders? Oh, uh...nevermind.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 124 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/124?hl=parzival and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.