20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 123 of 297.
#6101 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Congrats to American Pinball again!
Isnt the big show in a few weeks Wayne?
That kinda looks like Barry hiding back there?
Magical for all the owners in Oz!

Well I am working the D Man to go over in December.

#6102 5 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Hope Not is Dec 1st and 2nd
But time flies, Its October soon so maybe a Fest will Head over

Well I am working the D Man for a December visit...

#6103 5 years ago

Magnet settings. Have they been removed?

#6104 5 years ago

How have you guys gone in installing the carbon fiber cliffy protector for the upper catapult? What is the best practice for the getting that sucker in its place? It seems a bit intimidating to install that one! Thanks for any info!

#6105 5 years ago

I had 6 H letters, and was going for the 7th, which would come from my third escape mode. I started the 3rd escape, but didnt successfully complete it. And I didnt get my 7th letter! Do the escapes only count toward a letter if successfully completed? I assumed not because the stage modes dont need to be successful to award a letter. Whine whine whine...

#6106 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I had 6 H letters, and was going for the 7th, which would come from my third escape mode. I started the 3rd escape, but didnt successfully complete it. And I didnt get my 7th letter! Do the escapes only count toward a letter if successfully completed? I assumed not because the stage modes dont need to be successful to award a letter. Whine whine whine...

You have to complete the escapes for bonuses and letters.

As in life (or the way it used to be...), you get little or nothing for trying.

I just had an amazing game with over 800k in bonuses on one ball.

To celebrate this, I quickly bricked every shot thereafter, drained all extra balls on dumb mistakes and any self respect I thought I was getting.

#6107 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

How have you guys gone in installing the carbon fiber cliffy protector for the upper catapult? What is the best practice for the getting that sucker in its place? It seems a bit intimidating to install that one! Thanks for any info!

I'm interested in this too. Ordered the Cliffy's but they haven't showed up yet. And looking at some pictures, I'm trying to figure out how a ball would damage some of those areas (like the lower and upper catapult). I'm probably wrong - but part of me says this more cosmetic than anything. No problem if I'm mistaken, just don't want to install if not needed. One thing I need to do is actually watch a ball when it's headed in those two areas and see how it lands.

#6108 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Mike how thick is the felt dot? While I'm at it...what diameter?

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That looks perfect Mike - I couldn’t understand where you put the felt dot though, and got a little vertigo from your video! Haha . But it looks like you nailed that scoop issue

Sorry about the video. I should have mounted on the tripod I bought. I was just excited it worked.

I added a photo that shows where I added the felt dot. I moved the coil setting to 6 and just watched as the ball hit the right guide and bounced to the drain or left flipper. Your dot location could be different.

Now that I have played it many times, that dot has really solved the problem. Once in a while (like when two balls were in the scoop), the ball would come out slightly different and go to the middle or left, so I could just add another dot above and below if it ends up bothering me. Right now I will stick with one dot.

The dot is removable. The sticky stuff usually comes right off with the dot. However, if any residue is left on the guide, alcohol and a rag quickly get it cleaned up.

The felt dot is 1/2" diameter and about 1/16" thick. I buy them from Home Depot I believe.
IMG_3410 (resized).jpgIMG_3410 (resized).jpgIMG_3411 (resized).jpgIMG_3411 (resized).jpgIMG_3412 (resized).jpgIMG_3412 (resized).jpg

#6109 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

This leads me to believe something mechanical has changed or power is up due to the fall season.

Must be power. I played yesterday and after reset to 28 from 30, ball always goes in!

#6110 5 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:...I moved the coil setting to 6 and just watched as the ball hit the right guide and bounced to the drain or left flipper. Your dot location could be different...

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense...just see where the ball hits it and put the dot there. I got my VUK turned down right now to help prevent any damage until I put a Cliffy on it, it just barely kicks it out now and is very gentle. I think I even have some of those felt protectors from HD or Wallymart.

No need for apologies!

#6111 5 years ago

You have to complete the escapes for bonuses and letters.
As in life (or the way it used to be...), you get little or nothing for trying.
I just had an amazing game with over 800k in bonuses on one ball.
To celebrate this, I quickly bricked every shot thereafter, drained all extra balls on dumb mistakes and any self respect I thought I was getting.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying. Wow, you must be getting a big bump from consecutive ramp and loop shots. Ever notice when you are TRYING to hit the seance letters, you magically make all the lanes and loops?

#6112 5 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Sorry about the video. I should have mounted on the tripod I bought. I was just excited it worked.
I added a photo that shows where I added the felt dot. I moved the coil setting to 6 and just watched as the ball hit the right guide and bounced to the drain or left flipper. Your dot location could be different.
Now that I have played it many times, that dot has really solved the problem. Once in a while (like when two balls were in the scoop), the ball would come out slightly different and go to the middle or left, so I could just add another dot above and below if it ends up bothering me. Right now I will stick with one dot.
The dot is removable. The sticky stuff usually comes right off with the dot. However, if any residue is left on the guide, alcohol and a rag quickly get it cleaned up.
The felt dot is 1/2" diameter and about 1/16" thick. I buy them from Home Depot I believe.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Aha! I’m glad you showed that - I thought you had added the dot IN the scoop somewhere

#6113 5 years ago

Just had an AWESOME game, got 6 letters and finally started a mini mode! I got great jail escape, which was really fun. I still can’t start the film mini mode, which is frustrating!!

Just as I was finishing the great escape, I must have Earned that last letter, and ... BLUE SCREEN. Game resets. Please fix this Rosh...

Actually I think I earned the letter and still played for another minute or two and then it reset ... GRRRRRRRR...

#6114 5 years ago
Quoted from CoPinfan:

I'm sorry, this is my first NIB game. How do we open a ticket for this? What information do we need to provide? Don't they already have a service bulletin to fix this? Also, does anyone know how we go about getting the speaker grill light blockers? Is that through API or the distributor?

If you dont see light coming through the perforated areas of the metal grill, then you dont need the foam. My game, #294, came with the foam already installed. If you have a later serial number, you probably have the foam too. Light coming thru at the far edges of the grill is normal.

#6115 5 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Must be power. I played yesterday and after reset to 28 from 30, ball always goes in!

Maybe get a little plug in voltmeter to check the wall power if something changes dramatically.

#6116 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Ever notice when you are TRYING to hit the seance letters, you magically make all the lanes and loops?

Yes, EVERY TIME!

#6117 5 years ago

You can have quite long games. I made it to the Binge for the first time. What a great machine. Just wish the Wizard Mode would have some new, more thrilling music and a better lightshow.

C799A276-C530-4C8C-BD63-31A39EB3F09D (resized).jpegC799A276-C530-4C8C-BD63-31A39EB3F09D (resized).jpeg
#6118 5 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

You can have quite long games. I made it to the Binge for the first time. What a great machine. Just wish the Wizard Mode would have some new, more thrilling music and a better lightshow.
[quoted image]

#6119 5 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

[quoted image]

It might. If the Master Magician mode is resetting on people, it's clearly still raw and unfinished.

#6120 5 years ago

Just got the notice from AP. New power supplies are available from them for people having issues with coil fade. $150 out of pocket, but they'll let existing customers have a $150 credit for their store to offset this:

September 26, 2018

Our goal at American Pinball is to provide quality games at affordable prices.

As many of you know, some Houdini owners are experiencing weak coils when the incoming AC voltage drops because of external loads placed on the service line. We have incorporated a new 48 Volt Power Supply to offset the effect of low incoming AC voltage on the coils.

We are selling the new Low Voltage Offset Power Supply for $150.00 which includes a switch mode 750-48 power supply, retrofit wire harness, hardware and shipping.

We greatly appreciate our customers and to show this, American Pinball will provide a $150.00 credit* with the purchase of the “Low Voltage Offset Power Supply” to be used either at our online store or towards the purchase of an Oktoberfest “Pinball On Tap” machine.

Purchase the power supply online at
https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-power-supply-upgrade

Your Houdini machine needs to be registered prior to the power supply shipping, register your game at
https://www.american-pinball.com/support/register/

Regards,
American Pinball Inc.
Phone: 847 893 6800
American-Pinball.com
Facebook.com/americanpinball

#6121 5 years ago

Need a little help here guys - I installed the playfield protector and noticed that one connector is loose. Should I connect this to the left or right connector in the picture? I will attach two pictures, one is close-up and the other taken a bit further away, so you will know which board's connectors I am referring to. Thank you for any help!

IMG_4593 (resized).JPGIMG_4593 (resized).JPGIMG_4594 (resized).JPGIMG_4594 (resized).JPG
#6122 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Need a little help here guys - I installed the playfield protector and noticed that one connector is loose. Should I connect this to the left or right connector in the picture? I will attach two pictures, one is close-up and the other taken a bit further away, so you will know which board's connectors I am referring to. Thank you for any help!
[quoted image][quoted image]

UMMMM....RIGHT Connector

#6123 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

UMMMM....RIGHT Connector

Thanks! Putting it there then

#6124 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Just got the notice from AP. New power supplies are available from them for people having issues with coil fade. $150 out of pocket, but they'll let existing customers have a $150 credit for their store to offset this:
September 26, 2018
As many of you know, some Houdini owners are experiencing weak coils when the incoming AC voltage drops because of external loads placed on the service line. We have incorporated a new 48 Volt Power Supply to offset the effect of low incoming AC voltage on the coils.
We are selling the new Low Voltage Offset Power Supply for $150.00 which includes a switch mode 750-48 power supply, retrofit wire harness, hardware and shipping.
We greatly appreciate our customers and to show this, American Pinball will provide a $150.00 credit* with the purchase of the “Low Voltage Offset Power Supply” to be used either at our online store or towards the purchase of an Oktoberfest “Pinball On Tap” machine.
Your Houdini machine needs to be registered prior to the power supply shipping, register your game at
Regards,
American Pinball Inc.
American-Pinball.com

I didn't get that email. But Thank You for posting.
Also trying to figure out if I'm registered. Should be.

#6125 5 years ago

AP... will these new power supplies be in the future games?

I've been on the fence with this purchase, primarily because of the power issues discussed.

Thanks
Kerry

#6126 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

[quoted image][quoted image]

It goes on the outside connector closest to the board edge.

houdini-connector (resized).jpghoudini-connector (resized).jpg
#6127 5 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I've been on the fence with this purchase, primarily because of the power issues discussed.
Thanks
Kerry

Pretty sure that will be the case.

#6128 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

September 26, 2018
Regards,
American Pinball Inc.
American-Pinball.com

That is an outstanding offer. This is definitely in the “they didn’t have to do that” department. $150 isn’t bad either for all the work that goes into it, the harness, shipping, etc. AND BY THE WAY ROLL $150 INTO SOME MAGIC GLASS! (at least that’s what I’ll be doing)

#6129 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That is an outstanding offer. This is definitely in the “they didn’t have to do that” department. $150 isn’t bad either for all the work that goes into it, the harness, shipping, etc. AND BY THE WAY ROLL $150 INTO SOME MAGIC GLASS! (at least that’s what I’ll be doing)

Haha! Exactly the thought I had...Magic Glass credit!

#6130 5 years ago

Hoping for the Knocker kit soon too!!

#6131 5 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Thanks
Kerry

Oktoberfest will have a brand new redesigned power supply!

#6132 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Oktoberfest will have a brand new redesigned power supply!

What about knockers? Seems like an excellent opportunity for synergy...

Oktoberfest...Two Knockers in every one!

#6133 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

September 26, 2018
Regards,
American Pinball Inc.
American-Pinball.com

This is fantastic news, will be ordering mine tonight!

#6134 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

September 26, 2018
Regards,
American Pinball Inc.
American-Pinball.com

Thanks PinMonk I'll be interested to see if this resolve the intermittent flipper weakness in Seance Multiballs. If it does I can use the $150 towards a shaker or/and knocker kit.

#6136 5 years ago
Quoted from Nirm:

https://store.american- :PS)pinball.com/products/houdini-knocker-kit
ericpinballfan Just for you!
-Nirm

Thank you Boss!

#6137 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

What about knockers? Seems like an excellent opportunity for synergy...
Oktoberfest...Two Knockers in every one!

LOL

#6138 5 years ago

BarryJ,

The power supply upgrade: Will this also address the lower catapult inconsistencies related to line voltage?

#6139 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Haha! Exactly the thought I had...Magic Glass credit!

I already posted this, but I will say it again. The glass is really amazing...I literally reached down thinking a show unit didn't have the glass installed. Whoops...there's glass there?! No kidding, I thought I was going to touch the PF - it's that good.

#6140 5 years ago

Maybe get a little plug in voltmeter to check the wall power if something changes dramatically.

Ugh, I just had five trunk catapult misses in a row (left side). My bracket pivot didnt fully solve this issue. No clue what this is now.

#6141 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

BarryJ,
The power supply upgrade: Will this also address the lower catapult inconsistencies related to line voltage?

Yes I need to know this too. I never have flipper issues. Just a wandering catapult shot, and a falling short shot also.

#6142 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Thanks vireland I'll be interested to see if this resolve the intermittent flipper weakness in Seance Multiballs. If it does I can use the $150 towards a shaker or/and knocker kit.

Wouldnt the shaker and knocker put more strain on the power? Will the upgrade compensate for that?

#6143 5 years ago

Just upped my flipper coils by 1 from the stock (so I think they are at 23 now?). VERY different shooting game now, wow. The ball felt like it was rocketing all over the place! Definitely makes it more fun but I’d be concerned about breaking stuff in there!

Also confirmed that IMO the standard settings are far too hard for most players. You can have 20+ minute games and never hit one of the special miniwiz modes, which IMO seems long

#6144 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Also confirmed that IMO the standard settings are far too hard for most players. You can have 20+ minute games and never hit one of the special miniwiz modes, which IMO seems long

I think the standard settings are too hard as well. I do appreciate that API has provided outstanding configurability in the settings. Mine are set with long ball save times and 1 hit to get into the theater. The defaults seem tough for casual players - especially if you are bricking shots.

#6145 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Ugh, I just had five trunk catapult misses in a row (left side). My bracket pivot didnt fully solve this issue. No clue what this is now.

I'm having the EXACT same issue - love to hear if anyone solves this.
My mech is perfectly centered but still having issues even running a dedicated Variac
Truly deflating cause I love this machine and am usually capable of fixing just about anything PB related ... this thing is a mystery

#6146 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just upped my flipper coils by 1 from the stock (so I think they are at 23 now?). VERY different shooting game now, wow. The ball felt like it was rocketing all over the place! Definitely makes it more fun but I’d be concerned about breaking stuff in there!

I went to 23 as well, and it was an improvement.But I notice a lot of dimples on the playfield now...

#6147 5 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

I'm having the EXACT same issue - love to hear if anyone solves this.
My mech is perfectly centered but still having issues even running a dedicated Variac
Truly deflating cause I love this machine and am usually capable of fixing just about anything PB related ... this thing is a mystery

It's like there's a ghost in the machine...

#6148 5 years ago

Good move ditching that transformer supply.

#6149 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I went to 23 as well, and it was an improvement.But I notice a lot of dimples on the playfield now...

I don’t feel like th game is any easier but WOW the flippers have some serious power now! I had originally dialed them back because it made it easier to hit some of the shots (inner loop) but I was having a little trouble with the ramp. Now I can hit the ramp fine and I can still backhand the inner loop.

I am thinking about going to regular red rubbers on the flipper though, we’ll see how that changes the game as well. Have not dropped the flipper bats yet.

#6150 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Wouldnt the shaker and knocker put more strain on the power? Will the upgrade compensate for that?

Shaker maybe, knocker not really unless they use it in ways we've never seen before. I wouldn't expect it to be firing when I'm in a multiball except maybe one time if I hit a replay. I haven't played a Houdini with the shaker in it so I don't know what triggers it. Since the offer is so good (it's like getting the power supply free if you buy the shaker and knocker kit) I'm going to order all three and see if it makes a difference for me. I don't have the fluctuating line voltage like some others do and my lower catapult accuracy is 98%. The upper one shows it's only at like 75% but I have NEVER seen it miss so I don't know what's causing that number to be so low.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 123 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/123?hl=barryj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.