Topic Stats

• 12,156 posts
  • 648 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by zahner
  • Topic is favorited by 161 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,598 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BA1534C4-4528-493A-A22D-F3E3FEB95B7B (resized).jpeg
E4268037-0697-4821-B200-853990ED7459 (resized).jpeg
CB650277-9CDC-4721-ABB0-741023BF74C5 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
20210117_134537 (resized).jpg
20210117_134527 (resized).jpg
20210117_134507 (resized).jpg
20210117_160748 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210105_160343_181 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210105_153650_390 (resized).jpg
20210117_042242 (resized).jpg
20210116_183927 (resized).jpg
jacket (resized).jpg
tank (resized).jpg
maths1 (resized).jpg
zachary (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12156 posts in this topic. You are on page 121 of 244.
#6001 2 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Hello Ylva and Linda, and welcome to the magic. You can find a rules list in the manual, and on this thread at post ##272. Some suggested home settings are in post #4987. My advice is to use easy play settings at first so you can get to know the game. In particular, maximum ball save time and maximum times for stage and movie modes. You can also set it to 5-ball games. Good luck and enjoy.

He's serious. The game is HARD on regular settings. Make sure it is set up to slightly higher than 6.0 pitch (not 6.5! at least not at first). Remember it is not a "flow" game, it is about precision.

#6002 2 years ago

Josh or Barry...Any News on the Knocker Kit?
Thanks.

#6003 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Josh or Barry...Any News on the Knocker Kit?
Thanks.

It’s code named Oktoberfest, and it is being developed

#6004 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

It’s code named Oktoberfest, and it is being developed

Those are Different Knockers they are working on!

#6005 2 years ago

I just got back from looking at a Houdini that needed catapult adjustment. It threw to the right and never hit the trunk.

Adjustments in the service menu didnt work.

The mech was slightly crooked in the cutout.

Loosened the mech screws and twisted the whole mech while tightening made the arm straight in the cutout and fixed it.

I imagine if it's really crooked you might have to sidecut the mechs mounting holes to get a better fit.

Do not drill the wooden playfield, rework the mech instead.
Before:
20180919_135848 (resized).jpg
After:
20180919_140006 (resized).jpg

#6006 2 years ago

FYI, a new coin-type custom shooter rod has been posted on the Cointaker website for $40.

pasted_image (resized).png
#6007 2 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

FYI, a new coin-type custom shooter rod has been posted on the Cointaker website for $40.[quoted image]

I actually think I like the faucet handle one the best so far, as far as the modded shooter rods go.

I dont know why... just seems to fit.

#6008 2 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

The container headed to Australia should be landing in the next day or so! I’m SUPER pumped to be getting my game hopefully by weeks end

Oh wow. I didn't even know and I've been talking to Wayne about other stuff just this week. Hopefully they get turned around and shipped out early next week, would be ideal, wife's away first week of Oct lol! BTW, I had a minor panic attack when I first read this and thought oh no more money to cough up, but quickly realised they're all prepaid unlike Deadpool lol.

#6009 2 years ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

Oh wow. I didn't even know and I've been talking to Wayne about other stuff just this week. Hopefully they get turned around and shipped out early next week, would be ideal, wife's away first week of Oct lol! BTW, I had a minor panic attack when I first read this and thought oh no more money to cough up, but quickly realised they're all prepaid unlike Deadpool lol.

I think Wayne either got the container today or is getting it tomorrow. How are you getting your machine up?

#6010 2 years ago

Hay,Fellow Magicians,A while ago I read a post from a Pinsider who stated that to get a "Milkcan"shot,he first shot a good left orbit,and the ball would bounce off his right flipper straight into the Milkcan!! I've tried this on my Pin and when I get the right orbit shot nailed,it bounced directly to the "S"and fires back down the middle!!I made sure my table was level on all sides!! Anybody else get this???? Thanks!!

#6011 2 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Hay,Fellow Magicians,A while ago I read a post from a Pinsider who stated that to get a "Milkcan"shot,he first shot a good left orbit,and the ball would bounce off his right flipper straight into the Milkcan!! I've tried this on my Pin and when I get the right orbit shot nailed,it bounced directly to the "S"and fires back down the middle!!I made sure my table was level on all sides!! Anybody else get this???? Thanks!!

I was tired of the milkcan shot being a random element.

I lowered the flippers 3mm and can make the shot more often than not now.

I have some tweaks in earlier posts you might try also (move the c target etc).

#6012 2 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Hi Hawk,

The milkcan shot is doable. I can occasionally hit it twice in a row...haven't done 3 in a row (yet). Pitch is about 6.3, and I think the right flipper coil is either factory default or one bump up. But I try to catch the ball on the flipper, then shoot it right at the end of the flipper.

#6013 2 years ago

Anyone speculate production numbers yet? Maybe someone who recently recieved a nib pin can post a serial number and born on date.

#6014 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Hi Hawk,
The milkcan shot is doable. I can occasionally hit it twice in a row...haven't done 3 in a row (yet). Pitch is about 6.3, and I think the right flipper coil is either factory default or one bump up. But I try to catch the ball on the flipper, then shoot it right at the end of the flipper.

This is how Joe Balcer describes designing the shot - it’s got to be a light tap just at the edge of the flipper

#6015 2 years ago

I have been making most of the milkcan shots from the end of the right flipper also. I dropped the flippers about 2mm. This helped on all the shots!
The lower catapult is making the trunk by bouncing off the left side wall. I will reduce coil power but may have to adjust the catapult.

#6016 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I have been making most of the milkcan shots from the end of the right flipper also. I dropped the flippers about 2mm. This helped on all the shots!
The lower catapult is making the trunk by bouncing off the left side wall. I will reduce coil power but may have to adjust the catapult.

I'm thinking about purchasing a Houdini. I've been collecting for about 20 years, but let me expose my ignorance and say that I am unfamiliar with what is meant by "dropping" or "lowering" the flippers. Probably something obvious, but I thought I'd ask. I've always just struggled with getting things back to stock and typically am paralyzed with fear when it comes to drilling or altering a playfield. Hoping it's just a reference to a mechanical adjustment. Appreciate any info.

#6017 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I'm thinking about purchasing a Houdini. I've been collecting for about 20 years, but let me expose my ignorance and say that I am unfamiliar with what is meant by "dropping" or "lowering" the flippers. Probably something obvious, but I thought I'd ask. I've always just struggled with getting things back to stock and typically am paralyzed with fear when it comes to drilling or altering a playfield. Hoping it's just a reference to a mechanical adjustment. Appreciate any info.

They just mean loosening the Flippers a bit and pointing them slightly more downward toward the bottom of the game. Takes about 10 seconds and an Allen wrench you should already have in your toolkit

#6018 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

There has been a lot of adjustment talk lately on this thread. I would imagine that most Houdini owners have not had to made any modifications to their game. There has been some real issues that some owners have had to work with API on fixing and I imagine the tweaking helps dial in the game. I've made no adjustments on mine and I've had no issues. The milkcan shot is crazy hard to make so perhaps I will try lowering the flipper to see if that helps at some point but I really need to make that shot... so much other stuff to do.

#6019 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Takes about 10 seconds and an Allen wrench you should already have in your toolkit

3/8" socket on a 6" ratchet.
Fits perfectly.

#6020 2 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

There has been a lot of adjustment talk lately on this thread. I would imagine that most Houdini owners have not had to made any modifications to their game. There has been some real issues that some owners have had to work with API on fixing and I imagine the tweaking helps dial in the game. I've made no adjustments on mine and I've had no issues. The milkcan shot is crazy hard to make so perhaps I will try lowering the flipper to see if that helps at some point but I really need to make that shot... so much other stuff to do.

The game plays really well and solid right out of the box!

The minor edits/adjustments I have mentioned in this thread really make a huge difference if you want to try them.

Please make some or all of them and report back.

It only takes a few minutes to adjust the flippers. I taped a 6" metal ruler to the playfield to measure what I was doing, to report back but you can just eyeball a little more than 1/8".

Consider moving the c target over 5/32". It really works well and is completely reversible if you want.

Rework the metal target mounting holes to make more of a slot in it for adjustment. not the wooden playfield.

#6021 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

but may have to adjust the catapult.

Is the catapult straight in the slot?

It's held in by 4 screws a 1/4" nutdriver makes it easy to work on.
It comes out easy and isn't buried in wires or anything.

There is plenty of room in the wooden playfield cutout for side to side adjustments, if you have to rework the mounting plate.

It's a fairly easy adjustment.
If you do it, please report back.

#6022 2 years ago

If anyone is looking for a Houdini, there will be some show specials. Api is going to have some games in the tournament and some in the free play room

Tournament games will be 6750
Free play gsmes will be 6500

We expect that the free play games will get more play, that's is why there is a bigger discount.

Feel free to contact myself or your favorite api distributor to reserve yours today.

Machines will be set up and maintained by api for the weekend. It will be up to the potential customer to pay for and remove the machine at the end of the show. Warranty period will begin the day after the machine is removed from the show.

Fyi, we (kingpin games) will double the factory warranty on and game purchased with this show special pricing. Call or message today! (As I'm typing this late in the night it only felt right to have a "as seen on tv" style slogan for the outro)

#6023 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

stock and typically am paralyzed with fear when it comes to drilling or altering a playfield. Hoping

None of the minor adjustments you might make require any work whatsoever on the wooden playfield.

No drilling, nothing that cant be easily reversed back to it's original condition.

No worries.

I would recommend this game in a heartbeat!

Its stunning and amazing night out of the box. No adjustments are actually needed unless you want to tweak it a little for gameplay reasons.

#6024 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I lowered the flippers 3mm and can make the shot more often than not now.
).

I guess from factory setting?

#6026 2 years ago

3/8" socket on a 6" ratchet.
Or a 3/8" ratcheting box end wrench (dogbone) fits perfectly.

#6027 2 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

If anyone is looking for a Houdini, there will be some show specials. Api is going to have some games in the tournament and some in the free play room
Tournament games will be 6750
Free play gsmes will be 6500
We expect that the free play games will get more play, that's is why there is a bigger discount.
Feel free to contact myself or your favorite api distributor to reserve yours today.
Machines will be set up and maintained by api for the weekend. It will be up to the potential customer to pay for and remove the machine at the end of the show. Warranty period will begin the day after the machine is removed from the show.
Fyi, we (kingpin games) will double the factory warranty on and game purchased with this show special pricing. Call or message today! (As I'm typing this late in the night it only felt right to have a "as seen on tv" style slogan for the outro)

Free play Gsmes (those dam sausage fingers on the key board LOL

Pincades: We will do the same on the double warranty policy on show games.

See ya soon!!!!

#6028 2 years ago

Thank-you all for your suggestions on the Milkcan shot! And the beat goes on!!!

#6029 2 years ago

So my Houdini has been making the trunk shot a good 90-95% of the time, for months. No problems, really.

Then, last night, five times in a row, it sent the ball careening wildly off to the right, missing the trunk shot by a mile.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this? I'm not a technician, so if it's something more complicated than loosening a few screws or adjusting something in the menu, I'll have to call a $90/hr technician.

Josh

#6030 2 years ago
Quoted from Josho:

So my Houdini has been making the trunk shot a good 90-95% of the time, for months. No problems, really.
Then, last night, five times in a row, it sent the ball careening wildly off to the right, missing the trunk shot by a mile.
Any ideas as to what might be causing this? I'm not a technician, so if it's something more complicated than loosening a few screws or adjusting something in the menu, I'll have to call a $90/hr technician.
Josh

Check the American Pinball support page. They have a procedure there on how to clean the assembly. Also, take a few minutes to read this thread. About every 3rd post may shed some light on what you can do.

#6031 2 years ago
Quoted from Josho:

Josh

I wouldn't call a Tech just yet. Much less a Tech with proper Houdini Knowledge probably not easy to find. This game a little to new for that unless they own one. Posting here was the right thing to do. More knowledge and experience here than any other place on web.
This could be several things. The Fix Barry has on website and fix. Make sure it's aligned strait in hole, mentioned here post #6004 above.
Dirt or fuzz under playfield at hinge point( This most likely not the case)
The power issue some of us have from time to time.
you can open a Ticket with American pinball and email Barry. Most likely he will reference the fix on website.
Few questions?? Was it a big power day at household or multiple items on same circuit at house?

#6032 2 years ago
Quoted from Josho:

Josh

I dont think anything is wrong at all.

Open a ticket for service on the API website to get on the list for the add on power board when it comes out.

I think your power at the wall is up a bit as people on your street are using less air conditioning now that it's fall.

If everything is perfect the game fires the catapult to the right when power goes up 3 volts.
It goes short and to the left when power goes low.

I have my game on a variac. I can simulate this exact behavior.

With controlled/regulated power my catapult hits properly 100% of the time.

#6033 2 years ago

Had my first ball hang on the planchette area.
The ball rested in the slot in the plastic below it.

I thought I had it dialed in but didn't test it with a ball.

Putting the cable tie and tying the light cable to the bottom of the hex post is proper and correct.

However you need to rotate the planchette so that is facing straight towards the front of the game.
Then bend it forward a bit so that it can clear the wireform easily, you have to rotate it all the way over to the wireform edge and then some.

Test so that a ball doesn't hit the planchette but clears it about 1/8".

This rotation makes the planchette light cable fill the hole in the plastic better.

Testing it with a ball I couldn't get it to hang at all.

#6034 2 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Anyone speculate production numbers yet? Maybe someone who recently recieved a nib pin can post a serial number and born on date.

The Australian Houdini’s arrived and there’s one numbered 1469. So it’d be safe to assume somewhere between 1500-1700 mark

#6035 2 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

The Australian Houdini’s arrived and there’s one numbered 1469. So it’d be safe to assume somewhere between 1500-1700 mark

Heck no. I highly doubt they cranked through close to a Thousand of these in only a few months very doubtful. 469 total would be very possible and inline with units accounted for at this point.

#6036 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Heck no. I highly doubt they cranked through close to a Thousand of these in only a few months very doubtful. 469 total would be very possible and inline with units accounted for at this point.

Ditto Yelo. Likely started at 1000

#6037 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Ditto Yelo. Likely started at 1000

You are correct. Game #1 that went to GAP started at 1000. No issues, I don't suspect they expected to make thousands and who knows Octoberfest could be a hit?

ae79a0abc9bf0c205e1c25cfd7c47596a827e8f5 (resized).jpg
#6038 2 years ago

I double-checked my machine today to see if a voltage variation last night had anything to do with the problem, but it didn't.

To my great relief, though, I was able to correct the error by turning down the coil a couple of notches, and now it makes the trunk shot reliably.

This is very odd because I haven't played with the coil settings for many weeks. I did update to the most recent code just a day ago, and I'm wondering if updating the code changed the coil setting for some reason. Regardless, color me relieved!

Thanks for everyone's help!

#6039 2 years ago

broken wireform gate during multiball today. Gate at end of shooter lane just above right flipper. Only 47 games on machine.....

houdini01 (resized).jpeghoudini02 (resized).jpegInkedhoudini02_LI (resized).jpghoudini03 (resized).jpeg

#6040 2 years ago

Contact your distributor, they should send you a set of replacement gates.

#6041 2 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan:

broken wireform gate during multiball today. Gate at end of shooter lane just above right flipper. Only 47 games on machine.....
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Open a ticket. Several have had this happen.
They will send you another one.

In the meantime save the piece and trace the exact shape and size on a piece of heavy paper.

Get a piece of music/piano wire of the same size at a local hobby store and bend a replacement using the broken part and paper you made as a template.

Then you can still play while waiting for parts.

#6042 2 years ago

Open a ticket. Several have had this happen.
They will send you another one.
In the meantime save the piece and trace the exact shape and size on a piece of heavy paper.
Get a piece of music/piano wire of the same size at a local hobby store and bend a replacement using the broken part and paper you made as a template.
Then you can still play while waiting for parts.

I hesitate to even bring this up, but even a paper clip will work in a pinch (for a little while)

#6043 2 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan:

I actually had the same problem...just play 'as is'. You'll likely get a couple of balls that return in the shooter lane as a bonus!

Distributer sent me a few new ones and no issues since.

#6044 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I actually had the same problem...just play 'as is'. You'll likely get a couple of balls that return in the shooter lane as a bonus!
Distributer sent me a few new ones and no issues since.

I had heard that some of the ball gates early on weren't formed correctly and broke.

This has been corrected as far as I understand.

#6045 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

They just mean loosening the Flippers a bit and pointing them slightly more downward toward the bottom of the game. Takes about 10 seconds and an Allen wrench you should already have in your toolkit

Thank you all for the replies. I get it now, and that's a simple adjustment - one even I can achieve should it prove necessary. Really intrigued by the game and a friend of mine is a distributor with two games in box. Played it a few times, and I really like it so far. Probably going to off my TZ for this. Ready for a change and this game is looking pretty sweet.
Thanks again.

#6046 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Contact your distributor, they should send you a set of replacement gates.

they (your dist.) should send you a few.
if not I have them and can send a few to you LOL

Pincades
JT

#6047 2 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan:

Pincades
JT

#6048 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

Pincades
JT

Kudos to Jesse!

#6049 2 years ago

Open a ticket for service on the API website to get on the list for the add on power board when it comes out.

I'm sorry, this is my first NIB game. How do we open a ticket for this? What information do we need to provide? Don't they already have a service bulletin to fix this? Also, does anyone know how we go about getting the speaker grill light blockers? Is that through API or the distributor?

#6050 2 years ago
Quoted from CoPinfan:

I'm sorry, this is my first NIB game. How do we open a ticket for this? What information do we need to provide? Don't they already have a service bulletin to fix this? Also, does anyone know how we go about getting the speaker grill light blockers? Is that through API or the distributor?

Go to website and register game.
Then open ticket to Barry.
The speaker blockers are thru your distributor.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,995.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 625.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
5,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marion, IA
There are 12156 posts in this topic. You are on page 121 of 244.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside