Topic Stats

• 12,195 posts
  • 650 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by pinballinreno
  • Topic is favorited by 162 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,602 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

16113651843595513035222951573953 (resized).jpg
20210122_182108 (resized).jpg
CB10FAA5-8767-4DAB-85C9-7E0909DF7795 (resized).jpeg
houdini_code_release_21.01.21 (resized).png
BA1534C4-4528-493A-A22D-F3E3FEB95B7B (resized).jpeg
E4268037-0697-4821-B200-853990ED7459 (resized).jpeg
CB650277-9CDC-4721-ABB0-741023BF74C5 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
20210117_134537 (resized).jpg
20210117_134527 (resized).jpg
20210117_134507 (resized).jpg
20210117_160748 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210105_160343_181 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210105_153650_390 (resized).jpg
20210117_042242 (resized).jpg
20210116_183927 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12195 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 244.
#5651 2 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

7 CHAIN LINKS EARNED! I boosted the flipper coil strengths to 23 each (was at 21, 20). Suddenly I could make the full ramp and orbits and stage target shots more consistently, and wound up blowing away my old best link score of 2. Pitch remains 6 degrees. So nice to have such flexibility on all the coils...Though am getting more airballs now.

It's my opinion (and a few others)
That the game plays more excitingly at a slightly higher pitch and slightly higher flipper power.

I started at 5.9 to 6.0 and have since adjusted to 6.3 on pitch.

I raised the flipper power accordingly.

You might get an airball now and again but the game seems a lot more exciting and fun.

#5653 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

It's my opinion (and a few others)
That the game plays more excitingly at a slightly higher pitch and slightly higher flipper power.
I started at 5.9 to 6.0 and have since adjusted to 6.3 on pitch.
I raised the flipper power accordingly.
You might get an airball now and again but the game seems a lot more exciting and fun.

I had started it out low because I assumed that higher speed/power was more appropriate for flow games vs. aim-and-shoot games, which I think Houdini tends more to be. But the boost is upping the fun factor, as you point out.

#5654 2 years ago

Played it for the first time today. I helped my friend to install a PP on his Houdini.
First of all, the game is really nice, artwork is great and I love this backbox. 3D decors are a real asset. 2D plastics like on Stern games feels cheap.
of course, I Heard about tight shots but this layout plays smooth finally and i’m happy that some shots are tough to succeed. The most difficult shot for me is the milk shot above magic target. I don’t know if something is needed to cushion the impact so that the ball goes down on the switch instead of rejecting.
The lock box is really a great toy and works perfectly. The LCD animations are also well done and well integrated.
I can’t tell about depth and rules but the few I played goals seemed clear to understand.
So I can tell that i’m pleasantly surprised.
My only complain is a cable underneath the pf too short that prevent to slide fully the pf when you raise it. So we dommage a few the pinblades

#5655 2 years ago

Shout out to Barry for providing excellent customer service. American Pinball does it right.

#5656 2 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Shout out to Barry for providing excellent customer service. American Pinball does it right.

Agreed, Barry and team are awesome.
Ohh, and game is awesome to.

#5657 2 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Barry is indeed a huge asset to AP.

#5658 2 years ago

Can I install lighted flipper buttons? If so, where do I get the power?

#5659 2 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

If all else fails, the service plug and an a/c adapter.

#5660 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

If all else fails, the service plug and an a/c adapter.

There's no 12v accessory places on this game?

#5661 2 years ago

Dunno, but the service plug is there as a fallback if someone doesn't point one out. There are a number of unused connectors next to where the shaker motor plugs in on the AP custom add-on driver board, but I'm not sure if there's 12V there or not, and if it's constant or program controlled. It would have to be measured.

#5662 2 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Easiest thing to do is alligator clip to an insert

#5663 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Easiest thing to do is alligator clip to an insert

Just solder to something. Aren't all the connections soldered in Houdini? Unsolder it if you want it stock again and no one will know

#5664 2 years ago

I have code 18-8-5. I have put it in twice. Game was fine until the other day. The trunk shots are now always missing. The pops are not working although the shaker works when they are hit. And the left lock had 5 ball locked up. They will not release. The 3 switches are working. I looked under the playfield and cannot see anything wrong.

#5665 2 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Houdini owners with Interior Art (Blades), it is possible to use the protectors and lift the playfield without damaging the Interior Art...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Any chance you know the vendor? I'd like to order the exact ones. Thanks.

#5666 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Any chance you know the vendor? I'd like to order the exact ones. Thanks.

Pinballlife.com sells them.

I have them they work perfectly as barryj has shown.

If too tight on one side, push the playfield over to the other side a bit.

And if necessary loosen and adjust playfield hangers to get a better fit.

I should have examined the issue more thoroughly before damaging my art.

My playfield was rubbing on the left side and a metal flap protruded slightly.

All of it is fixed now, I ordered a new piece.

#5667 2 years ago

Pinballlife.com sells them.

can anyone slide fully the playfield when you raise it? There was a cable that was too short that prevent to slide it fully.

#5668 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I have code 18-8-5. I have put it in twice. Game was fine until the other day. The trunk shots are now always missing. The pops are not working although the shaker works when they are hit. And the left lock had 5 ball locked up. They will not release. The 3 switches are working. I looked under the playfield and cannot see anything wrong.

Sounds like you blew a fuse for the coils (pops and lock release post). The pop bumpers, upper diverter, upper catapult, and 3 ball lock post are all on the same fuse. They're tiny fuses on the boards under the PF.

#5669 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:Pinballlife.com sells them.

The "Pinball Universe" logo should have been a clue for me, if I had a functioning brain.

#5670 2 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

can anyone slide fully the playfield when you raise it? There was a cable that was too short that prevent to slide it fully.

The table slides all the way forward, then locks, and then can be raised all the way to resting against head.
Ist step is just lifting table till yellow rails are above the lockbar. Then slide table forward. This is were you may have a bind. Make sure the usb cable for updates isnt tied or bound into something. The playfield wire harness may also be in one of those white cable keepers binding preventing table to slide forward.

#5671 2 years ago

@ Rosh. The shaker motor really makes the machine vibrate and buzz when the setting is on heavy and its winding up for the catapult toss. Could you code the output to pulse width modulate it to about 70% so it pulls down the RPM for that particular scenario?

How about having some shake on the slingshots in heavy?

#5672 2 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

@ Rosh. The shaker motor really makes the machine vibrate and buzz when the setting is on heavy and its winding up for the catapult toss. Could you code the output to pulse width modulate it to about 70% so it pulls down the RPM for that particular scenario?

I have mine set at medium, which I think is the default setting. It's about perfect for me.

I think the heavy setting might really only be for people that have low power like myself.

On medium I have no rattling or ill effects whatsoever.

In the vanishing elephant Act I think it's perfect and amazing!

Well done Josh !

#5673 2 years ago

Finally had some time to spend on my Houdini. Had my best game to date. I’m still learning the shots and ruleset, but was very happy with this game. My last best was a little over 1MM. I don’t usually post scores and know many of you have figured this game out and would smoke this score, but I’m gettin’ there.

473FDA1C-FB8D-4319-BB41-A5686CE29992 (resized).jpeg
#5674 2 years ago
Quoted from Hogey:

I’m gettin’ there.

That's a great score! Many haven't reached that yet!

#5675 2 years ago

Houdini is a real pinball experience.
I do disagree with ratings that report a bad layout conception. I think it is great and unique. That is what i’m looking for when I want a game
As JJP, I don’t really like low scoring but it is a minor complain.
For those you have put some hours game, would you say it has deep rules? Thanks

#5676 2 years ago

Houdini is a real pinball experience.
I do disagree with ratings that report a bad layout conception. I think it is great and unique. That is what i’m looking for when I want a game
As JJP, I don’t really like low scoring but it is a minor complain.
For those you have put some hours game, would you say it has deep rules? Thanks

EXTREMELY deep. It is not a "story" game like Dialed In, but there are so many things to do and see once you start completing some of the modes. I know some people complain about the multiball in DI, but I think that's a good idea, where you can get somewhere, even if you're having a crap game. I do wish Houdini would have something similar

#5677 2 years ago

Rules are plump.

1) start 10 modes.
2) complete 5 escapes (hurry ups)
3) complete 5 films
4) complete 5 secret missions
5) play 2 different ball saves
6) earn multiballs
7) make 8 trips to magic shop
8) earn 7 Houdini letters
9) start master magician mode

All settings can be fine-tuned to earn reward sooner. There lots of gadgets and unique ball modes too. To me the layout is a plus. It feels unique but great to return to.

#5678 2 years ago

Mr Kugler seems absent, maybe on holiday learning German traditions

#5679 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Sounds like you blew a fuse for the coils (pops and lock release post). The pop bumpers, upper diverter, upper catapult, and 3 ball lock post are all on the same fuse. They're tiny fuses on the boards under the PF.

I thought it might be a fuse. I will have to take a closer look. Hard to see under there! Thanks.

#5680 2 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Mr Kugler seems absent, maybe on holiday learning German traditions

Too early for Octoberfest. This year it's September 22nd to October 7th.

LTG : )

#5681 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

I found one board with 4 fuses. I think it is the one with the larger diameter red wires. The fuse is still good. The other 3 are also OK. I saw 1 other fuse in the cabinet bottom. I can't believe there are only 5 fuses in the whole pin. Still not working.

Are we getting manuals sometime?

#5682 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Manual on line, I didn't see a fuse list in it. And Barry and Josh may not pop up here or at tech support until Tuesday.

Sorry.

#5683 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

American-pinball.com has this :

What is the fuse rating for the fuses on the coil driver boards?

There are 4 fuses, the fuses for the Brown, Red and Blue lines are 6.3 ASB. The fuse for the Black line is 4 ASB.

#5684 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I found one board with 4 fuses. I think it is the one with the larger diameter red wires. The fuse is still good. The other 3 are also OK. I saw 1 other fuse in the cabinet bottom. I can't believe there are only 5 fuses in the whole pin. Still not working.

Did you take the fuse actually OUT of the carrier to test it? The one you're looking for is the one with the thick RED lead (Brown and Blue are the other two coil power lead colors). The RED lead supplies power to the 7 coils you're saying don't work.

If you take the fuse for that power lead out and it tests good, follow from the fuse and look for a wire break.

#5685 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Did you take the fuse actually OUT of the carrier to test it? The one you're looking for is the one with the thick RED lead (Brown and Blue are the other two coil power lead colors). The RED lead supplies power to 7 coils.
If you take the fuse for that power lead out and it tests good, follow from the fuse and look for a wire break.

I did have the fuse out and it is good. So far I cannot see any breaks. I will look again later. Thanks.

#5686 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I did have the fuse out and it is good. So far I cannot see any breaks. I will look again later. Thanks.

Also, open the coin door, pull the white safety post inside the coin door (to enable power to the coils) and measure the power on the red, blue, and yellow leads to see if the red one is getting power. DO NOT work on the machine with the coil power enabled, though. Remember to pop it back in so you don't accidentally short something out.

#5687 2 years ago

I Heard about tight shots but this layout plays smooth finally and i’m happy that some shots are tough to succeed. The most difficult shot for me is the milk shot above magic target. I don’t know if something is needed to cushion the impact so that the ball goes down on the switch instead of rejecting.

Try the felt dot trick ... worked like a charm for me - stops about 75% of the rejects I was getting

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/63#post-4348200

#5688 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Also, open the coin door, pull the white safety post inside the coin door (to enable power to the coils) and measure the power on the red, blue, and yellow leads to see if the red one is getting power. DO NOT work on the machine with the coil power enabled, though. Remember to pop it back in so you don't accidentally short something out.

It is now working. I pulled off a couple of the connectors on that board and reset them. They looked OK though!

#5689 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

It is now working. I pulled off a couple of the connectors on that board and reset them. They looked OK though!

Loose connection is a best-case scenario, so you win!

#5690 2 years ago

I just saw for the first time the stay puffed marshmallow man in the magic hat !

PURE GENIOUS !

I love this game !

#5691 2 years ago

I just saw for the first time the stay puffed marshmallow man in the magic hat !
PURE GENIOUS !
I love this game !

We could start a thread just on all the weird stuff thats pulled outta the hat! I won't give away others that I've seen, but AP pokes fun at other games.

#5692 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Loose connection is a best-case scenario, so you win!

You are so right! Must be that shaker. I love it.

#5693 2 years ago

Yes, Mr Kugler has been absent here for quite some time...

Hope all is well and just busy!

#5694 2 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Yes, Mr Kugler has been absent here for quite some time...
Hope all is well and just busy!

Josh and the entire API team are always around and working their butts off for customers. With another game around the corner they have their hands full but I will bet if there are issues/concerns sent to them through the company support site they will always be there to help. Pinside can be a full time job at times so concentrating on the work at hand has probably caught up with them.

#5695 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Josh and the entire API team are always around and working their butts off for customers. With another game around the corner they have their hands full but I will bet if there are issues/concerns sent to them through the company support site they will always be there to help. Pinside can be a full time job at times so concentrating on the work at hand has probably caught up with them.

Pretty sure they're busy working on integrating pre-installed cliffies for that Houdini hole that's getting beat up. Well worth the effort to reconfigure the production line.

#5696 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

They probably appreciate the sentiment but
not sure about the 2.5 rating you gave the game.
Wow, really?!

#5697 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

They probably appreciate the sentiment but
not sure about the 2.5 rating you gave the game.
Wow, really?!

Because my family nor my guests didn't enjoy the game doesn't mean I can't appreciate how hard they are working or respect the enjoyment others have for the game? Yes, for us it was not a keeper and not all games can stay. I don't lie about our enjoyment of a title but I certainly don't tell others what they should enjoy either. Owning a pinball machine doesn't have to be a democracy. I do hope you enjoy it though!

#5698 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Anyone heard any news about the catapult power fix? Seems like that should come out before they start the next adventure.

#5699 2 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Anyone heard any news about the catapult power fix? Seems like that should come out before they start the next adventure.

I second a Power-Fix for catapult and raise you a Knocker!
Been a couple months since both were mentioned by American Pinball.

#5700 2 years ago

I wonder if a buck boost converter could stabilize the games power?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Madison, IN
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 12195 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 244.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside