20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 113 of 297.
#5601 5 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

I guess I got lucky. I have lifted my playfield many times without issues.

If you were Lucky you would never need to lift your playfield! lol Sorry had to poke that...

#5602 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Not sure if there is a Mod opportunity but curious if anyone has considered adding a strip of mylar to the edge of the playfield or possibly to the side art itself? Fairly thin and yes might be slightly shiny but rather strong in most cases. I think Marco sells it by the foot to whatever size you like. Just a thought and yes I agree the side art is painfully thin..

Ive considered a thin piece of 1 inch felt along both sides of the playfield to prevent side art damage. Has anyone else tried this?

#5603 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Ive considered a thin piece of 1 inch felt along both sides of the playfield to prevent side art damage. Has anyone else tried this?

On most B/W games, it’s difficult to fit the felt on both sides of the PF - in my TZ I can only fit it on one side to try and avoid scratching my mirror blades. On Houdini it would probsbly be way too tight

#5604 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Not sure if there is a Mod opportunity but curious if anyone has considered adding a strip of mylar to the edge of the playfield or possibly to the side art itself? Fairly thin and yes might be slightly shiny but rather strong in most cases. I think Marco sells it by the foot to whatever size you like. Just a thought and yes I agree the side art is painfully thin..

The art blades are certainly suited for stickers/enhancements.

Showbills, advertisements, pictures or ads from the large variety of acts and presentations in the game would all fit nicely.

And yes made out of heavier material that will not readily scratch.

Stickers can also be replaced when they wear out.

We can post pictures of the various damaged areas.

The replacement artwork can me generated and sold.

I was thinking of getting the stage stickers and repurposing them.

But, I really like the idea of posting a variety if showbills to cover the damage.

What also would be cool might be miniature movie posters from the 5 films.

They can be cut or placed at angles to cover damage.

It would be an enhancement in my opinion as well as a semi permanent fix.

If anyone has cool artwork ideas, l can have it printed up on durable vinyl and die cut cheaply.

Any sign shop can do it.

#5605 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

That's exactly where I got a chip.
Fortunately its behind the milk can and it's barely noticable.
I'll probably order a sticker to cover it.
Mod couple are you reading this?
Here's a mod that will sell well.
Scratch covering stickers to add to the artwork !

Wonder how it's installed at the factory since I was told they are installed prior to PF?

You guys have got me worried now. One big reason to by a new machine is to have a pristine one for a change, sort of like a new car. You keep it clean, don't have to worry about all the kludges people installed over the years or decades. I guess I won't be 'opening the hood' for awhile.

#5606 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Wonder how it's installed at the factory since I was told they are installed prior to PF?
You guys have got me worried now. One big reason to by a new machine is to have a pristine one for a change, sort of like a new car. You keep it clean, don't have to worry about all the kludges people installed over the years or decades. I guess I won't be 'opening the hood' for awhile.

It's not really that hard - but you do have to be super careful. I've managed to raise and lower my PF about 25 times installing different things (shaker, taking the machine apart to move it, adding mods, etc) and there are no noticeable issues. Any time you scrap the side blade on this game you'd also dent the heavy duty vinyl pretty badly, so even though the material isnt' as durable it's one issue vs another

#5607 5 years ago

I need a sticker to cover this:
20180826_131440 (resized).jpg20180826_131440 (resized).jpg

#5608 5 years ago

I need a sticker to cover this:
[quoted image]

Ok I have a Crazy suggestion but as you have said you Love the game I personally think the PinStadium lights look Amazing on this title and are very much needed. IF you did those lights the rails would actually cover that tear and you would solve 2 problems with one solution! Just a thought and No I don't work for Scott. lol

#5609 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok I have a Crazy suggestion but as you have said you Love the game I personally think the PinStadium lights look Amazing on this title and are very much needed. IF you did those lights the rails would actually cover that tear and you would solve 2 problems with one solution! Just a thought and No I don't work for Scott. lol

I like the idea but dont need them in my lighted gameroom.

A sticker would work or a cutout piece from a fresh artblade.

If some one wanted to make repair stickers, I would purchase the art blades to use as samples for the project.

I'm confident that as sales of Houdini, progress many people would want something to cover the damage.

I will order a new set anyway to fix it later on as it gets really bad.

#5610 5 years ago

I like the idea but dont need them in my lighted gameroom.
A sticker would work or a cutout piece from a fresh artblade.
If some one wanted to make repair stickers, I would purchase the art blades to use as samples for the project.
I'm confident that as sales of Houdini, progress many people would want something to cover the damage.
I will order a new set anyway to fix it later on as it gets really bad.

You probably already know this - keep in mind if you just overlay a piece on the damaged material it will protrude out a little and likely could suffer the same problem. You almost need to cut out an inlay to match up. I know...a royal PIA.

I wonder if to minimize the damage and cosmetically make it look better (if it gets to bug you), you could put some thin, color tape over it for now? Not electrical, since that tends to leave adhesive if on for awhile...but I think you get where I was going?

Boy, another total 1/8" clearance and this wouldn't be an issue...

#5611 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Boy, another total 1/8" clearance and this wouldn't be an issue...

I will most likely Inlay the damaged area from a new set.

But not before I get a copy made from a more durable material.

It's not too bad to make a template and use it to cut both pieces.

#5612 5 years ago

I will most likely Inlay the damaged area from a new set.
But not before I get a copy made from a more durable material.
It's not too bad to make a template and use it to cut both pieces.

Do the vinyl tile trick...align the new on top of the old and secure, cut both at once, remove old...and the new will fit exactly!

#5613 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Do the vinyl tile trick...align the new on top of the old and secure, cut both at once, remove old...and the new will fit exactly!

perfect!

#5614 5 years ago

Or... you could just remove the old and install the new one? Just use more caution in the future lifting the Playfield.

#5615 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

If people are having trouble lifting the playfield now....there would be no way you would be able to lift it with the pinstadium magnets in place

#5616 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Eventually Pinstadium will come up with a bracket that attaches to the playfield at 3 or 4 points on each side instead of the cabinet so they move with the playfield instead of fighting it.

#5617 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Eventually Pinstadium will come up with a bracket that attaches to the cabinet at 3 or 4 points on each side instead of the cabinet so they move with the playfield instead of fighting it.

Agreed. That’s the only thing I hate about them is constantly removing them and since there is no plug your only option is to lay them on the Playfield and usually watch them slide around when you need to lift the Playfield. They work great but a bit of a nuisance at times.

#5618 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Or... you could just remove the old and install the new one? Just use more caution in the future lifting the Playfield.

Yes, I would do that.
But before I do the repair, I will scan the new piece and make some stickers for the future.
My playfield fits so close, Im absolutely sure it will get chipped again.

I contacted JJ at @gex via the website and API via their website just now to order a new set.
But they are closed right now and I will follow up tomorrow.

#5619 5 years ago

Has anyone heard when the knocker for this game might be available?

#5620 5 years ago
Quoted from CoPinfan:

Has anyone heard when the knocker for this game might be available?

I second the Knocker question, when?, Soon?

#5621 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Agreed. That’s the only thing I hate about them is constantly removing them and since there is no plug your only option is to lay them on the Playfield and usually watch them slide around when you need to lift the Playfield. They work great but a bit of a nuisance at times.

I'm stupid and didn't read that post until just now. I meant they'll eventially make brackets to attach pinstadiums to the PLAYFIELD rather than the cabinet.

#5622 5 years ago

Within 4 mins JJ @gex my distro has emailed me back about my chipped artwork to try to get replacements.

This was after hours and and after any normal person would be working. I'm not even sure he is at his shop, he's probably at a show!

Colorado Game Exchange has once again lived up to its reputation of being one of the best distributors around.

Do not hesitate to buy a game from them.

JJ has always been friendly, couteous, helpful and responsive to my needs.
I'm glad I chose them.

#5623 5 years ago

Houdini owners with Interior Art (Blades), it is possible to use the protectors and lift the playfield without damaging the Interior Art.

Regardless if you use the protectors or not, before you lift the playfield visually inspect both playfield edges for any toys or ramps that might have moved and might be able to scratch the Interior Art

IMG_20180829_085752919 (resized).jpgIMG_20180829_085752919 (resized).jpgIMG_20180829_085802382 (resized).jpgIMG_20180829_085802382 (resized).jpgIMG_20180829_085804320 (resized).jpgIMG_20180829_085804320 (resized).jpg
#5624 5 years ago

BarryJ sent you a pm regarding my Houdini screen above the stage. Please check your inbox. Thanks.

#5625 5 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

These 2 Cliffies were most difficult to install so I took a couple of pics.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice - He's got the carbon fiber ones! Those will never lift and last forever. I also think they look better then stainless.

Time to order a set.

#5626 5 years ago

What is that??? White side rails with Chrome side blades???odd combo I must say,that black lettering doesn't quite fit this theme on the side rails>To each his own!!

#5627 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

What is that??? White side rails with Chrome side blades???odd combo I must say,that black lettering doesn't quite fit this theme on the side rails>To each his own!!

They are just protectors. See link above to the product.

#5628 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Houdini owners with Interior Art (Blades), it is possible to use the protectors and lift the playfield without damaging the Interior Art.
Regardless if you use the protectors or not, before you lift the playfield visually inspect both playfield edges for any toys or ramps that might have moved and might be able to scratch the Interior Art
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks @barryj.
If I had known about the part sticking out of side I would have avoided the chips.

They are small and not too noticeable, but I want to fix them.

I have since then bent the metal back into the playfield.

After looking at your pics, I found that I can nudge the playfield sideways with a plastic putty knife and tightly fit my blade protectors.

It takes 2 people on my game to raise the playfield this way as the protector lifts with playfield a bit as it's snug. But it works.

I'm just angry at myself for not being more observant of anything that was sticking out the sides and catching on the artwork.

Live and learn lol.

#5629 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

If I might add, lift the playfield straight up. On any game it's easy to twist or not get straight and scrape one side going up.

LTG : )

#5630 5 years ago

I loosened and repositioned the playfield hangers very slightly while pushing the playfield to the right.

I now have a tiny bit more clearance on the left.

The playfield doesn't scrape the left side any more.

I can get the art blade protector in now without prying over the playfield to the right with putty knives.
It fits less snug and now can be applied and raised with only one person.

If the left edge gap tightens up again I now know what to do.

#5631 5 years ago

I loosened and repositioned the playfield hangers very slightly while pushing the playfield to the right.
I now have a tiny bit more clearance on the left.
The playfield doesn't scrape the left side any more.
I can get the art blade protector in now without prying over the playfield to the right with putty knives.
It fits less snug and now can be applied and raised with only one person.
If the left edge gap tightens up again I now know what to do.

Hmmm, you just gave me an idea. The Shoe Horn Playfield Mod! lol

#5632 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

That pretty much sums it up!

#5633 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

make it thin as air.

#5634 5 years ago

Broke my right flipper spring after 2 months of home use. No spares lying around either.

#5635 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Broke my right flipper spring after 2 months of home use. No spares lying around either.

Bend one of the coils out on the longest of the two pieces and make a new, shorter, tighter spring until you can get a full new one.

#5636 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Bend one of the coils out on the longest of the two pieces and make a new, shorter, tighter spring until you can get a full new one.

That’s what I did on both of mine - works great, still rolling strong! Just make sure you wind it back on itself through the hole so it won’t pull back through. Give it a couple good tugs to be sure

#5637 5 years ago

oops, just dropping this here again.

SOLD!
Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “MOD MAGIC! by Ericpinballfan for HOUDINI PINBALL BY AMERICAN PINBALL! PM/Message me for details. All 3 Pieces are for sale individually. If you only want one or two of the 3, I wi...”
2019-01-24
Anaheim, CA
Archived after: 88 days
Viewed: 2680 times
Contributed to Pinside

Detailed thread here.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/houdinicustom-planchette-upgrade3d-engraved-playfield-mod

#5638 5 years ago

How the hell do balls get stuck underneath the upper catapult? It had happened twice.

#5639 5 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

How the hell do balls get stuck underneath the upper catapult? It had happened twice.

Pitch too low?
I'm at 6.3

Thinking of going back to 6.5 when the flipper collapsing fix is in.

"The flippers fold like a cheap suit". That cracked me up

Thanks jeffspinballpalace for making my day !

#5640 5 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

That upper catapult is a whore. Just accept it.

#5641 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That upper catapult is a whore. Just accept it.

I only noticed when i went to look because the awitch wasnt working and three balls were stuck on the catapult during multiball. I then saw a ball under the catapult, as well. Someone else was not able to find it , because when i was able to get it out and clear all balls, there were 7 total.

#5642 5 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

I only noticed when i went to look because the awitch wasnt working and three balls were stuck on the catapult during multiball. I then saw a ball under the catapult, as well. Someone else was not able to find it , because when i was able to get it out and clear all balls, there were 7 total.

WTF?

#5643 5 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

There is tight clearance between the subway and catapult.

There are three 1/4" screws on the subway, left side of the catapult. Loosen each of the three screws by 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn.

Problem should be solved.

#5644 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Bend the last loop over and hook it back up.

LTG : )

broke (resized).JPGbroke (resized).JPGfix (resized).JPGfix (resized).JPGgoodasnew (resized).JPGgoodasnew (resized).JPG
#5645 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Smart idea. I was gonna rob one from Lord of the Rings.

#5646 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Smart idea. I was gonna rob one from Lord of the Rings.

Don't you dare! Make Balrog very angry!

#5647 5 years ago

Any ideas to get this new code loaded?

Plug in the USB and it says it's loading the code and finishes in about 2 seconds but it's stays at 5.4.18.

#5648 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Plug in the USB and it says it's loading the code and finishes in about 2 seconds but it's stays at 5.4.18.

Try plugging directly into the computer.

Get a new clean verified image file first

#5649 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

I had to try a couple different usb drives before mine would take. It does sound like maybe you need to download the file again though

#5650 5 years ago

7 CHAIN LINKS EARNED! I boosted the flipper coil strengths to 23 each (was at 21, 20). Suddenly I could make the full ramp and orbits and stage target shots more consistently, and wound up blowing away my old best link score of 2. Pitch remains 6 degrees. So nice to have such flexibility on all the coils...Though am getting more airballs now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 113 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/113 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.